PDA

View Full Version : Despite the criticism, I still like McRoberts

RelativeWays
03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I think Josh's problem is not a lack of post moves or any other mechanics, its a lack of agressiveness and assertiveness. Because of the two quick fouls on him, Duke really didn't try to run any inside offense, but honestly they haven't tried to develope an inside game all year. McRoberts numbers aren't what people expected because Duke hasn't commited to an inside game all year, they're pretty much content for a perimeter oriented offense. When the shots fall, great, when they don't we have nothing to fall back on. I love how McBob played in the second half and in overtime; aggressive with a will to score. Its an attitude he has to adapt next season. Also once he is a more consistant offensive threat, his passing and assists will increase as well since teams will have to double him. I don't think he'll go pro this season because his lacking in the offensive dept has probably put him out of the 1st round (and why go early for the 2nd round with no guaranteed money). I fully expect to see Josh a lot hungrier and assertive next season. And please don't compare him to Shav. After his decent freshman year, he was never able to contribute much of anything to the team and surely wasn't on any all ACC teams.

Troublemaker
03-09-2007, 12:37 PM
I think Josh's problem is not a lack of post moves or any other mechanics, its a lack of agressiveness and assertiveness.

Nah, his shooting mechanics and touch are definitely the brunt of his issues. He also lacks strength to anchor in the post. If he had touch and strength, he would be more aggressive because he'd have more confidence that he'd score. Confidence is the key to success in any endeavor and Josh has no reason to be confident at this point in his basketball career. He has poor touch and is physically weak.

I don't think he'll go pro this season because his lacking in the offensive dept has probably put him out of the 1st round (and why go early for the 2nd round with no guaranteed money).

I think Josh is still a lottery pick but he's at the very least a first rounder. A few days ago I started a thread saying that I thought he'd be back... however, there are a lot of folks with more knowledge than me who believe he is gone so that's what I'm assuming at this point.

Clipsfan
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I think Josh is still a lottery pick but he's at the very least a first rounder. A few days ago I started a thread saying that I thought he'd be back... however, there are a lot of folks with more knowledge than me who believe he is gone so that's what I'm assuming at this point.

I haven't been paying much attention to the talks about whether Josh is going or staying, so I probably missed "those in the know", but who is saying that Josh is gone? I can understand his desire to head to the pros on several levels, although I do hope that he comes back. Despite the knocks on his game that people have voiced, he is a great asset to the team.

Troublemaker
03-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't been paying much attention to the talks about whether Josh is going or staying, so I probably missed "those in the know", but who is saying that Josh is gone? I can understand his desire to head to the pros on several levels, although I do hope that he comes back. Despite the knocks on his game that people have voiced, he is a great asset to the team.

On this site, Jumbo. There are also folks at TDD and DI that I consider to have good sources who say the same.

unwrinkled ear
03-09-2007, 12:53 PM
While i have been one of josh's biggest supporters in my circle of duke fans (and have watched his dunks and moves on youtube with great relish), i have to say that i think his overall anger is bringing this team down.

I have never seen a duke player who looks so angry so often.

a total left-field, based-on-nothing-but-my-observations thought is that his atitude seems to be poisoning this team.

i say that with a lot of pain because he has been such a great player to watch and root for.

killerleft
03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Josh certainly could use some work on his shooting. And he could be a much better offensive threat if he figured out how to draw fouls instead of always looking for ways to score without allowing contact.

Potentially, Josh can be an excellent pro someday. It won't be next year, and figuring out some of this stuff in college would be the ideal way to improve.

That said, I hope Josh changes his mind and stays at Duke one more year, at least. He needs the "practice", and we could watch him improve.

Nittany Devil
03-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm a big supporter of Josh as well. He didn't have to come back this season, but he did. Without him, who knows, we may be in a similar situation as UConn right now. (And those two dunks really got me fired up yesterday.)

With that said, I too am growing frustrated with his attitude. I don't know how many times I've seen him mouth the words, "That's f-ing b.s." after a foul called on him, even when the fouls seem legit. He's young, and I think he needs to grow up a little bit. I guess there's nothing too alarming about that statement.

bird
03-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Nah, his shooting mechanics and touch are definitely the brunt of his issues. He also lacks strength to anchor in the post. If he had touch and strength, he would be more aggressive because he'd have more confidence that he'd score.

Josh needs to spend the off-season working repetitive big-man drills around the basket to improve his close-in moves and footwork and shooting touch. If I were Josh, I would spend at least an hour a day, alone, grinding these skills into muscle memory. Given the limited practice time and the need to focus on team-oriented skills during the season, these skills might be difficult to pick up during the season.

TDevil23
03-09-2007, 01:17 PM
He needs to play hard for 40 minutes. He needs to stop whining and barking at the refs and play strong. He has too much ability to coast, to play soft and to defer to his teammates.

Maybe we expect too much of him, but he has been a disappointment this year. Being a "good" player isn't enough -- we need him to be a "great" player and he has only shown flashes of that ability.

I hope he comes back next year and plays the way we know he can.

bhd28
03-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Josh needs to spend the off-season working repetitive big-man drills around the basket to improve his close-in moves and footwork and shooting touch. If I were Josh, I would spend at least an hour a day, alone, grinding these skills into muscle memory. Given the limited practice time and the need to focus on team-oriented skills during the season, these skills might be difficult to pick up during the season.

You hit the nail on the head there. Nobody seems to remember he spent all last summer rehabing from back surgery. How many hours do you think he spent doing squats and deadlifts? How about working on his post moves while banging against a defender (say Zoub)? I am betting very few and even less. That is tough, but true. To develop those moves, you need those reps... and that contact. Those things are not focused on during the season. Josh's only reliable post-move right now is the right handed jump hook. Don't you think every post-defender in the ACC knows that now? Don't you think they play him that way? If he puts in time in the weight room and on the practice court this summer, working on sealing his defender, getting comfortable with his left, and working on a jumper, he will be light-years ahead of where he is right now. A summer of that will have his confidence sky-high.

As for the 'anger,' I don't mind it. Bill Russel was one of the most angry basketball players ever. Josh's problem is that he is young and a bit immature. That anger isn't focused yet. He needs to learn to focus that anger/agression and use it as fuel. As he matures, the complaining will become less, and hopefully the anger will become focused.

As far as playing full-bore for 40 minutes... have you ever run a marathon? If so, did you sprint the entire time? It is impossible to go full-bore the entire game. What Josh needs is to be able to be taken out and sit for some spurts during the game. Then he can go full-bore when he is in there. Coach obviously feels that it is better to have Josh take some plays off and rest on the offensive end at times while playing. Is that better? I don't know... but you really shouldn't expect him to go full bore for the whole game if he isn't taken out at times to rest.

aheel4ever
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I have not seen Duke nearly as much this season as in seasons past, but the times I saw Duke late in the season, I just haven't seen much from McRoberts. In the 1st UNC game, he was very strong on the boards, but since then, I've seen very little of that. Offensively, he handles the ball well for a big man, but he's not going to be 3 in the NBA, so I'm not so sure what that brings to the table for him. He just has not developed any offensive game in his 2 years at Duke. At the end of his soph year, he should be showing signs of being able to dominate, but I never see it. Last night, it really struck me that Duke ran the weave almost exclusively in the last part of the game; he's pretty much eliminated from the offense in that set. Does Duke ever go to him when they need a big basket? To me, if he leaves this year, it's a statement that he doesn't think staying will help him develop any further.

imagepro
03-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I like him too relative. Like I said in another thread, can you imagine where we'd be if he wasn't on this team? Not in the tournament, I bet ya that....

For people that repeatedly critique him, I ask this--- Would we be better without him> Tell me please...

DevilAlumna
03-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Would we be better without [McRoberts]

Who would we have recruited instead?
Would we have gotten Brandon Wright?
Do we know how [Non-Josh recruit] would have done?
Would the rest of the team have developed differently without Josh around?

So many many more.... Seriously, I'd be surprised if anyone takes you up on your (disingenuous?) question. Like any good White House deputy press secretary knows, it's useless to answer biased hypothetical questions.