PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Marquette

Jumbo
11-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Sorry to get the numbers up so late (Thanksgiving stuff and all). Anyway, the Marquette game continues to build up our sample size, and might be slightly more meaningful, given the tighter score and rotation. K switched lineups 26 times, although only 14 of them were unique. Anyway, on to the numbers, and as always, check pfrduke's site (http://dbdhoops.blogspot.com/)for way more information.

LINEUPS
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek (twice)17-8 (+9)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (three times) 4-0 (+4)
Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 6-3 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (twice) 5-2 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 4-3 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler 5-4 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-3 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 7-8 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 5-7 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 0-3 (-3)
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (seven times) 12-15 (-3)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler 2-5 (-3)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (three times) 8-12 (-4)

INDIVDUALS
Kyle Singler 72-63 (+9)
Brian Zoubek 17-8 (+9)
Greg Paulus 59-47 (+8)
Jon Scheyer 54-53 (+1)
DeMarcus Nelson 71-64 (+7)
Taylor King 0-3 (-3)
Gerald Henderson 35-39 (-4)
Nolan Smith 28-32 (-4)
Lance Thomas 49-56 (-7)

devildeac
11-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Sorry to get the numbers up so late (Thanksgiving stuff and all). Anyway, the Marquette game continues to build up our sample size, and might be slightly more meaningful, given the tighter score and rotation. K switched lineups 26 times, although only 14 of them were unique. Anyway, on to the numbers, and as always, check pfrduke's site (http://dbdhoops.blogspot.com/)for way more information.

LINEUPS
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Zoubek (twice)17-8 (+9)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (three times) 4-0 (+4)
Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 6-3 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (twice) 5-2 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 4-3 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler 5-4 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 2-3 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 7-8 (-1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas 5-7 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 0-3 (-3)
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (seven times) 12-15 (-3)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler 2-5 (-3)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas (three times) 8-12 (-4)

INDIVDUALS
Kyle Singler 72-63 (+9)
Brian Zoubek 17-8 (+9)
Greg Paulus 59-47 (+8)
Jon Scheyer 54-53 (+1)
DeMarcus Nelson 71-64 (+7)
Taylor King 0-3 (-3)
Gerald Henderson 35-39 (-4)
Nolan Smith 28-32 (-4)
Lance Thomas 49-56 (-7)

Quite interesting with these stats with several oddities to me:

1. BZ at +9 with limited PT
2. GP with +8 and the 'perception' he did not have a real good game personally with A:T, several critical late game miscues, and allowing too much penetration by the Marquette guards
3. LT at -7 after a game that many thought was one of his better, if not best at Duke to date.

Comments?

loran16
11-22-2007, 06:49 PM
@Devildeac, a couple reasons for this.

1. Zoubek was in play during the 2-3 zone part of the last game which we had a strong defensive presence. This was in part due to his D , but also due to the zone being very effective.

2. Lance was not in the game during the zone period of the game, and his defense often seems to be lacking. He's not good on the boards, and doesn't block too many shots. So even when he had a decent amount of points, his defensive weakness was greater than the offensive prowess he brought to the table.

Bob Green
11-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I believe Zoubek and Singler on the court together is a good combination. I am pleasantly suprised at the early season success BZ is having after breaking his foot over the summer. Once he gets into full playing shape, his contributions should increase. If I could ask Coach K one question about this year's team, it would be: "How high is Zoubek's ceiling?"

Now I'm going to go look at Jumbo's numbers from the previous games and see how much time Zoubek and Singler were on the court together. My perception is that Zoubek benefited from playing alongside Singler.

SilkyJ
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM

2. GP with +8 and the 'perception' he did not have a real good game personally with A:T, several critical late game miscues, and allowing too much penetration by the Marquette guards
3. LT at -7 after a game that many thought was one of his better, if not best at Duke to date.

Comments?

agree with everything and would only add that i was surprised to see that our starting lineup was -3 despite being on the floor together for quite a bit of time (meaning it wasn't just a small sample size, at least within the game).

Jumbo (and others), I would be interested to see the cumulative numbers to this point. Does pfrduke's site have this?

CDu
11-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Comments?

Analysis of single-game +/- can be an exercise in futility, as there are just so many things at play. Any number of reasons could explain those anomalies. After 10-15 games, a summing of these +/- may make for a good discussion point, and certainly by 30+ games we should be getting pretty reasonable data. Especially when dealing with a guy who played so few minutes (Zoubek), the +/- is probably a sign of aberration more than anything else. Not saying he played badly at all - just that he probably was the beneficiary of an outlier set of circumstances in the positive direction for Duke.

Carlos
11-22-2007, 08:50 PM
2. Lance was not in the game during the zone period of the game, and his defense often seems to be lacking. He's not good on the boards, and doesn't block too many shots. So even when he had a decent amount of points, his defensive weakness was greater than the offensive prowess he brought to the table.

I thought that Thomas' defense was quite strong last night and has been for most of the season.

Jumbo
11-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Jumbo (and others), I would be interested to see the cumulative numbers to this point. Does pfrduke's site have this?

...and ye shall receive (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4862).

Dukefan4Life
11-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I really think we could have won by more, if we stayed in a zone for a few more times on defense! I am really happy to see that we are playing it more this year!

loran16
11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I thought that Thomas' defense was quite strong last night and has been for most of the season.

Id have to disagree with you. His lack of size inside makes it easier for players to drive on him, and imo he's not very good at nabbing rebounds, which he should considering his position.

merry
11-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Is this the first time we've seen Paulus & Smith together on the court for any significant amount of time? I think it is. Just curious.

pfrduke
11-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Is this the first time we've seen Paulus & Smith together on the court for any significant amount of time? I think it is. Just curious.

Yes, it was. Prior to Wednesday, they had played a grand total of 1 possession together (against Illinois). Cumulatively, we were +4 (10-6) over the 7 possessions with the two together on the court against Marquette.

devildeac
11-23-2007, 01:19 PM

I believe you are right. Probably just the type of situation we would expect-end of close game with ball handling and FT shooting as a premium. It was not pretty at times but the W was nice. I would bet K and the guys would learn and work a lot on execution during that situation(unless, of course we are always leading by 10-15 points, then we can work on our depth:D )