PDA

View Full Version : Words/Phrases that should be eliminated from sports

mph
11-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Jay Bilas has been using the word "chops" a lot this year. As in, "[insert player or team] has/doesn't have the chops to compete at an elite level." He used it once last night, but in the pre-season special he said "chops" at least three or four times. The point isn't to pick on Jay. He's done a great job calling games and I've heard many others use this word. I don't know why, but I really don't like the the use of the word in relation to basketball. I like pork chops. I like lamb chops. Apparently, I don't like basketball chops.

I'm also not a big fan of the word "gamer." As in, "[insert player] is a real gamer." Again, no special reason--I just don't like it.

All of this got me thinking about what words, phrases, and cliches others would eliminate from sports. Suggestions?

If we get enough suggestions, maybe we could start a poll to find worst word/phrase/cliche in sports.

CDu
11-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Jay Bilas has been using the word "chops" a lot this year. As in, "[insert player or team] has/doesn't have the chops to compete at an elite level." He used it once last night, but in the pre-season special he said "chops" at least three or four times. The point isn't to pick on Jay. He's done a great job calling games and I've heard many others use this word. I don't know why, but I really don't like the the use of the word in relation to basketball. I like pork chops. I like lamb chops. Apparently, I don't like basketball chops.

I'm also not a big fan of the word "gamer." As in, "[insert player] is a real gamer." Again, no special reason--I just don't like it.

All of this got me thinking about what words, phrases, and cliches others would eliminate from sports. Suggestions?

If we get enough suggestions, maybe we could start a poll to find worst word/phrase/cliche in sports.

I'm not a fan of the sudden infatuation with the term "bounce" in place of the term "dribble." The play-by-play and color commentators have really taken a liking to this term in the last year or so, and it really annoys me for some reason.

Bob Green
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Off the top of my head:

* diaper dandy
* shoot the rock
* prime time player

rthomas
11-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't like it when somebody "explodes".

captmojo
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM
"He needs to get untracked". WHAT? If he's having a tough time of it, he needs to get "On the track". Right?:cool:

Lavabe
11-22-2007, 04:43 PM
For once, I'd love to see a player give 100%, rather than the usual 110%.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
11-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not a fan of the sudden infatuation with the term "bounce" in place of the term "dribble." The play-by-play and color commentators have really taken a liking to this term in the last year or so, and it really annoys me for some reason.

Shhh, don't tell the Crazies that. Where would they be without: bounce, bounce, bounce, ahhhhh, pass, ahhh, bounce, bounce, shot(or something like that:D )

devildeac
11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Off the top of my head:

* diaper dandy
* shoot the rock
* prime time player

I see you don't like Vitale, either:D

Wander
11-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Ty Lawson.

rthomas
11-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Ty Lawson.

How about "Psycho T"? That makes me throw up.

loran16
11-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Penetration.....seriously, think about it.

Indoor66
11-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Shhh, don't tell the Crazies that. Where would they be without: bounce, bounce, bounce, ahhhhh, pass, ahhh, bounce, bounce, shot(or something like that:D )

I don't like "bigs", "tin" or "elbow"

cspan37421
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
He's playing within himself.

He's letting the game come to him.

He's not trying to force anything.

jipops
11-22-2007, 09:48 PM
game face

throatybeard
11-22-2007, 09:51 PM
"shortening his bench"

WiJoe
11-22-2007, 11:49 PM
"He needs to get untracked". WHAT? If he's having a tough time of it, he needs to get "On the track". Right?:cool:

You're absolutely right. Anyone who says that once should be immediately reprimanded by his producer and made to apologize on the air. A second use should result in dismissal.

AND I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS.

DFS78
11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I've got to go with 110 percent.My son and I laugh every time we here it.

Exiled_Devil
11-23-2007, 10:17 AM
"This is Dick Vitale..."

Any discussion of classiness of coaches - such a poor word to describe decorum, geniality and/or social grace.

cajundevil74
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Bilas used the word "great" about almost everything during Maui. An entry pass on a 45 degree angle was "great," an uncontested jump shot was "great". He used "good" only twice the whole tourney, but that would have been a more apt description of the play.

Enough of the self deprecation - Rafftery and Bilas. Ugh... It gets old after the 20th reference of Rafftery's obsession with the sauce (not sure if this is self deprecating or bragging) or Bilas's lack of athleticism during his playing days.

All in all, I much prefer McDonough, Rafftery and Bilas to Patrick and Vital or anyone else really.

jgehtland
11-23-2007, 10:47 AM
How 'bout a Hall of Fame/They Finally Did It list?

I was flabbergasted that, for the longest time, announcers would say "Coach brought him to the bench to get a blow", on national TV, without chuckling. I haven't heard it in a couple of years, now, so maybe it is finally gone.

I agree with the "untracked" posters, as well.

And could somebody slap the next person who says "trifecta"?

BigDuke6
11-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Kiss off the glass.

Anyone?

Anyone?

mph
11-23-2007, 12:04 PM
For once, I'd love to see a player give 100%, rather than the usual 110%.

Cheers,
Lavabe

QFT. Can't believe I forgot this one.

game face

This is the sort of phrase that usually bothers me, but the fact that "game face" drives Bobby Knight crazy make it impossible for me to hate. For me, the image of Knight's contorted face in that press conference makes it all worth it.

ArnieMc
11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
The bank is open.

He is a very unique individual.

jaytoc
11-23-2007, 02:14 PM
and I'll say it again: overuse of the term/concept "adversity". Very few of the chuckleheads quoted after a game had to suffer any real adversity. It's a game, bonehead.

dw0827
11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Not just sports but in general broadcast usage, the phrase " . . . at the end of the day . . . " just makes me want to puke. If I had a patent on that hackneyed phrase, I'd be a gazillionaire . . .

YmoBeThere
11-23-2007, 05:16 PM
"You gotta love it!"

Okay, so I never heard it uttered in a sports broadcast...I'm just for banishing the term. Nobody gotta do nothin'.

mapei
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM
"true freshman"

"it is what it is"

"gut check"

juise
11-23-2007, 06:53 PM

It's ben a few years, but I think it's "boing."

Let's not forget "upside."

DevilHorse
11-23-2007, 09:16 PM
"Quantum Leap" - used as a discreet change from previous state; usually describes a discreet and drastic improvement of a team or an individual. In fact it is something that is so small as to be imperceptible to anyone other than a Quantum Mechanic.:D

"Light Year" - "Light years ahead". Most users don't seem to know if it is a distance or a time. If you're looking for a word that is beyond any sense of proportionality, as distance goes, this gets you out of the solar system and close to other stars (yes, it is a distance). Perhaps it is the inverse of a quantum leap.:eek:

Larry

Lavabe
11-23-2007, 09:39 PM
It's ben a few years, but I think it's "boing."

Let's not forget "upside."

Err...umm... isn't it BOINK?:o

Now I'm REALLY confused. I guess it's part of the downside of being middle-aged.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

throatybeard
11-23-2007, 09:55 PM
"true freshman"

What's the problem here? It distinguishes from a redshirt freshman, which in FB is the default option.

(Except at Duke).

CDu
11-23-2007, 11:12 PM
What's the problem here? It distinguishes from a redshirt freshman, which in FB is the default option.

(Except at Duke).

Yeah, it's much more relevant in football than in basketball (where the default is true freshman). I don't really hear it much in basketball, probably for that reason. But it definitely has a place, at least in football discussion.

DevilWolf
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Pretty much anything Chris Burman says these days.

Or the overt racism of the "gym rat" vs. the "athlete".

bradjenk
11-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Len Elmore: "Athleticism,Athleticism,Athleticism"
Brent Musburger: "3-Ball,3-Ball,3-Ball"
And every announcer in America after a banked in 3 point shot: "Did he call that? Ha, Ha, Ha."

Indoor66
11-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Funny thing is, Elmore was not particularly "athletic" when he played.

captmojo
11-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Brent Musburger: "3-Ball,3-Ball,3-Ball"
And every announcer in America after a banked in 3 point shot: "Did he call that? Ha, Ha, Ha."

...and not just after a three pointer. It's idiots like these who don't know anything about fundamental shooting that have made any shot off the board, including lay-ups, seem like the success of the shot was purely good fortune. These fools need to be put in their place.:cool:

dukepsy1963
11-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I have to say it's "athleticism" for me. I mean, really...... As far as I am concerned (and compared to almost everyone else in the world), anyone who is capable of playing basketball at the college level is, by definition, "athletic."

mapei
11-24-2007, 11:04 AM
"they wanted it more"

God I hate "3-ball."

throatybeard
11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Or the overt racism of the "gym rat" vs. the "athlete".

That's covert racism. Overt racism is "we don't take kindly to your kind around here."

Lavabe
11-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Hockey phrase: One team worked harder.

Tournament phrases:
Survive and advance.
On the bubble.

I'm surprised "choked" didn't show up yet. Perhaps it genuinely happens (e.g., UNC vs. G'town in this year's NCAA's), but I think it's used way too often.

How about some Crash Davis cliches?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
How about some Crash Davis cliches?

Crash Davis dialogue has no cliches. He spoke only sports truths. :)

buzz
11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
It's a great group of guys.

We've been doing it all year long.

We/he left it all on the floor.

One of my favorites (in a good way)
Da kiss!

buzz
11-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Come to think of it, Vitale has practically cornered the market:

super, scintillating, spectacular!

slam, bam, jam!

dipsy doo, dunkaroo!

super soph

PTPer

dish the rock

windex man

awesome (or anything else), baby!

etc...

Lavabe
11-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Crash Davis dialogue has no cliches. He spoke only sports truths. :)

from www.imdb.com: ;)
Crash Davis: It's time to work on your interviews.
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: My interviews? What do I gotta do?
Crash Davis: You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: Got to play... it's pretty boring.
Crash Davis: 'Course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Carlos
11-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Here's one for Coach K.... "he's a special player"

mgwalter
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Dawkins consistently states that a halftime the team "made adjustments" (and the announcers usually mention going into halftime that the team will "make some adjustments"). I'd much rather hear about what adjustments in particular were made / speculation about what adjustments should be made.

I'm also sick of "ball you man", which I've never quite understood what it meant other than maybe a player on defense should be keeping their eyes on the ball and their man. Would appreciate and explanation if anyone is up for it.

merry
11-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Err...umm... isn't it BOINK?:o

Now I'm REALLY confused. I guess it's part of the downside of being middle-aged.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

1. yes it's definitely "BOINK"

2. not a Crash David cliche but my favorite quote from the movie and a family saying around our house: "Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club".

tommy
11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Bilas used the word "great" about almost everything during Maui. An entry pass on a 45 degree angle was "great," an uncontested jump shot was "great". He used "good" only twice the whole tourney, but that would have been a more apt description of the play.

You're so right on that one. I would like to see if an announcer or a team of announcers could see if they could go an entire game without describing one play, player, coach, coaching move, call, decision, or any other act as being "great." A lot of plays are good or very good, but really so few should qualify as "great," yet it's probably the most utilized adjective in most of these guys' vocabulary.

tommy
11-25-2007, 05:16 PM
It is offensive to hear announcers (and players) constantly using war and war terminology to describe the games we watch for pure entertainment. I understand it's business for the players and coaches, but even for them, it's not war. I would like to see "it's going to be a war," "he's a warrior," and similar types of phrases taken out of the sports lexicon, which will only happen when we/they get some perspective on exactly what we're talking about. I'm not holding my breath.

weezie
11-25-2007, 05:32 PM
How about "Psycho T"? That makes me throw up.

Agreed. Let's start spreading the word about T-bangs.
Wait for it.....

norduck
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Pick your poison.

Pete Gillen coined that phrase at UV following a loss to Duke.

Edouble
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Any announcer who notes that "the three point shot has really revolutionized the game".

C'mon guys... it's been 20 years now. None of the kids that are playing know any other version of the game.

mapei
11-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Referring to university athletes as "kids."

"mano a mano" (which doesn't even mean what people think it means)

EarlJam
11-25-2007, 10:40 PM
"______________ can control their own destiny."

No one can "control their destiny." That's why it's destiny.

-EarlJam

godukecom
11-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Come to think of it, Vitale has practically cornered the market:

super, scintillating, spectacular!

slam, bam, jam!

dipsy doo, dunkaroo!

super soph

PTPer

dish the rock

windex man

awesome (or anything else), baby!

etc...

haha i have never laughed harder when thinking about dickie v. i think he should never be allowed to announce an acc game again, he is awful. i remember when danny green had a breakaway dunk against some cupcake 2 years ago and he went crazy

"OH BABY! THIS IS THE ACC! NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP COMING TO THIS TOWN BAYBEEEE!

devildeac
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM
"______________ can control their own destiny."

No one can "control their destiny." That's why it's destiny.

-EarlJam

Well, not really phrases, but good to meet EJ today on the concourse at CIS. Was that your 1st trip/visit to CIS? Did it meet/exceed your level of expectations? Did you make it back to Atlanta swiftly and safely? Did you know Lavabe still has an assortment of Schlafly's for you?

Lavabe
11-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Referring to university athletes as "kids."

Sorry, but that's a Coach K'ism.

Thou shall not speak ill of K. Does that appear in the HPR?

Any time a university is said to be inferior academically, the use of the term "Basketweaving 101" is invoked.

Just how many colleges offer a course entitled BASKETWEAVING 101?

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. The Schlafly brews are nice and chilled for EarlJam. Doesn't look like I'll be in DC this weekend. Might be time for a pumpkin ale!

EarlJam
11-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, not really phrases, but good to meet EJ today on the concourse at CIS. Was that your 1st trip/visit to CIS? Did it meet/exceed your level of expectations? Did you make it back to Atlanta swiftly and safely? Did you know Lavabe still has an assortment of Schlafly's for you?

Devildeac, great to meet all of you too!

Not my first trip to CIS but every trip seems like the first one. Honestly, I don't care what mood you are in when you walk in CIS; the place always puts you in the best of moods (unless Duke loses). That WAS the first game I've been to in a couple of years.

Going back to Atlanta tomorrow morning and YES, must connect with Lavabe for the Schlafly's!

-EarlJam

tommy
11-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I think we've had more than enough of The Red Zone. I guess it was some lame attempt by broadcasters to make viewers feel like they're in on some inside lingo actually used by players, coaches and teams. If the term ever was used, I highly doubt it's used anymore by the players and coaches. Meaningless blather.

OZ
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
How about when a player is taken out for a rest and the announcer says, "The coach is giving him a short blow;"

or

When someone is skilled at driving the lane and we are told, "He/she is great at penetration?"

On second thought, leave these phrases in, they still give me pleasure.

tommy
11-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I've really had it with this one. "He makes plays." "He's a playmaker." "What a great football play." (alt: "what a beautiful golf shot.")

Isn't everyone a playmaker? Don't they all make plays the entire game? Isn't the game pretty much a continuous series of plays by everyone involved in the game? Some plays are very good or even great, some are terrible, and most are somewhere in between. But everyone on the field/court or whatever surface they play on is a playmaker, making plays. Enough.

And when they go to "great football/basketball play" or "great golf shot," what other type of play or shot could it be? If they're playing football, I can't imagine a guy making a great hockey play, and if they're playing golf, how can he make a great tennis shot? Ugh.

gotham devil
11-26-2007, 04:10 AM

I hate it when an announcer says, "Carolina wins."
Oh, and "Yo, what up? Live from rural Connecticut, this is Stuart Scott...dog."

ugadevil
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
"Better than their record indicates."

I think Charles Barkley talked about this on MNF this season. A team is not better than their record indicates. If you didn't beat a team, you were not better than them for the game. If you're 2-6, you might be a good 2-6 team, but you're not better than that record indicates.

mapei
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
One of the worst I ever read (and thank goodness it didn't catch on) was a USAToday article about an NCAA tourney game and how one of the teams needed to be careful when they "upcourt the ball."

bdh21
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm also sick of "ball you man", which I've never quite understood what it meant other than maybe a player on defense should be keeping their eyes on the ball and their man. Would appreciate and explanation if anyone is up for it.

"Ball you man" is actually an important principle of man to man defense. With a few exceptions, when playing a man off the ball you should position yourself between the ball and the player you are guarding. Ball...you...man. That is the foundation of help defense. It seems self-explanatory but much of coaching is ingraining the self-explanatory.

patentgeek
11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
My personal pet peeve is the extreme overuse of the term "run" to describe a disparity in scoring during a game. It's fine if it's, say, a 15-2 run, but I've heard too many 5-0 and 7-2 runs recently - those happen multiple times in almost any game and are not worthy of mention.

socaldukie
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
they came to play today.....

they wanted it more than.....

they came out flat....

old lyric from The Kinks--"In his dreams he is taken away by alien beings, to another galaxy deep in space. To a planet where a man can live out his fantasies and experience unimaginable pleasures. But morning comes and soon the realities of life will shatter his illusions, and the cliches of the world will bring him down, but still he is waiting for a change."

rsvman
11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I can't believe nobody said, "Chemistry."

Could be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to suggest that in any sporting event physics is much more important than chemistry.

mgtr
11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Allegedly, Duke last year had more chemistry problems than physics. But, it is all whispers, and the apparent cause is now gone. Now we are back to physics.

devildeac
11-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Could be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to suggest that in any sporting event physics is much more important than chemistry.

Biology would have to be pretty important, too:D .

captmojo
11-26-2007, 07:26 PM
How about Jon Pessah?

Lavabe
11-26-2007, 08:43 PM

So long as it doesn't involve "quantum leaps." ;)

I'm more bothered by the calculus, rather than the arithmetic, that many announcers use. The shot-clock "differential" with the game clock bothers me ... it's a difference, not a differential.

AAARGGHHHH!

Cheers,
Lavabe

j.j. jones
11-27-2007, 06:29 AM
How about at the beginning of a telecast, the announcer says "Hello everybody, this is [insert name here.]" Yeah yeah, we know who you are. Can we get on with the game already? Purty puhLEAZE???

And then... at the end of the game, especially if your team just lost, they sign off with something cheezy like: "So long everybody." (ahem.) Say what?! Who the heck CARES. Happy trails to you too! Now get yo behind on OUTTA here!

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Not really an inappropriate phrase, but one phrase has popped up a lot with the firing of all the football coaches.

During the five-hour drive from North Carolina yesterday, I heard the phrase, "the buck stops here" about 5,437 times.

-EarlJam

Indoor66
11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Not really an inappropriate phrase, but one phrase has popped up a lot with the firing of all the football coaches.

During the five-hour drive from North Carolina yesterday, I heard the phrase, "the buck stops here" about 5,437 times.

-EarlJam

NEVER diss HST, the greatest of all the Buck Stoppers.

EarlJam
11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
NEVER diss HST, the greatest of all the Buck Stoppers.

No diss of Harry T. He was a great football coach.

-EJ

snowdenscold
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
How about at the beginning of a telecast, the announcer says "Hello everybody, this is [insert name here.]" Yeah yeah, we know who you are. Can we get on with the game already? Purty puhLEAZE???

And then... at the end of the game, especially if your team just lost, they sign off with something cheezy like: "So long everybody." (ahem.) Say what?! Who the heck CARES. Happy trails to you too! Now get yo behind on OUTTA here!

I don't really have a problem with the announcers introducing themselves - why would most people know who they are without them saying so? I think saying goodbye is polite as well.

And btw, your post is definitely one of the more visually interesting ones I've seen lately.

BoC
11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

I just read this about the Steelers/Dolphins "game" last night...

"Pittsburgh struggled to get its running game untracked as the field was too sloppy..."

It just flat-out doesn't make sense.

Indoor66
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I just read this about the Steelers/Dolphins "game" last night...

"Pittsburgh struggled to get its running game untracked as the field was too sloppy..."

It just flat-out doesn't make sense.

Neither does "flat-out".

captmojo
11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Neither does "flat-out".

How about that old southern standard..."PLUM"?

BoC
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Neither does "flat-out".

I think 'flat-out' is, at least, neutral; it doesn't really mean anything, but sounds right when used in certain situations. 'Untracked', the way it's usually used, is totally incorrect.

Regardless, untracked needs to go, but not as badly as Musbergers '3-ball', as previously mentioned.

jjasper0729
11-27-2007, 12:16 PM
How about that old southern standard..."PLUM"?

well, the southern standard is "plumb" (short for plumb-bob/plummet), sometimes used interchangeably with "level" (which is incorrect). that is unless you're using it as an adjective (i.e. plum tired, plum tuckered out) but i digress.

------------------------

I kind of get tired of:

steal a few minutes (BP when the coach gets someone out in the second half to rest)

patented ____________ (BP for ANY shot/move that someone does ALL the time)

I can usually tune out vitale (thank god i only hear him during road games)

I've pretty much lost a taste for the announcers that try to commentate a game on the hardwood like it's on the asphalt playground (yes you, Stu).

And Barkley is the best. i LOVE to listen to a Barkley interview.

-----------------------

to verify a post earlier, yes, it's boink, boink, boink, ahhhhh, pass, etc (i whole-heartedly feel your pain about the middle age thing)

Oh Canada
11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I've always been annoyed with the "got caught flat-footed" statement. The problem is that this can apply to almost anysport. Is this just a nice way of saying "he wasn't paying attention"??

mapei
11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Has anyone mentioned "hit the ground running" yet? This is probably overused more outside of sports than inside, but I'm sick of it.

j.j. jones
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't really have a problem with the announcers introducing themselves - why would most people know who they are without them saying so? I think saying goodbye is polite as well.

And btw, your post is definitely one of the more visually interesting ones I've seen lately.

Actually, I was just kinda joshin there, taking the micky (to borrow an English phrase) out of some of the curmudgeons who become annoyed at just about anything. I just didn't have the chops to apply a smilie. Really, the only thing that burns my behind is a flame about yay high, say 2 1/2 feet, off the ground? Okay seriously, there is one phrase that does kind of grate on me, and that is "for thaddddddddddreeee!" Marv Albert is the prime culprit, and to a lesser degree, Sean McDonough, although to his credit, McDonough actually said "three" in a normal way a couple of times during the Maui telecasts, much to my surprise.

I mean c'mon, do we really need to roll our "[i]r's" during a basketball telecast to get the message across? I'll take trifecta over that horse manure any day of the week.

throatybeard
11-27-2007, 03:47 PM
So basically every body hates everything everybody else says. Got it.

PS-- my favorite Southern intensifier is slam, as in, "Mike O'Koren is slam ugly."

rasputin
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
"step up"

"ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEEEE?"

the mispronounced three syllable "ath-a-lete" or four syllable "ath-a-let-ic"

mispronouncing "lackadaisical" as if it were "laxadaisical"

but my favorite still is, the inability to distinguish irony from coincidence.

Mal
11-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Outside the world of basketball: Walk-off homerun. Someone at ESPN just made this up 6 or 7 years ago and now it's infected the entire vernacular. What the *&$# was wrong with "game ending" homerun? Can we extend this walk-off thing to groundballs to second base with two outs in the 9th inning? Everyone walks off the field after one of those, too.

mcdukefan
11-27-2007, 08:01 PM
So basically every body hates everything everybody else says. Got it.

PS-- my favorite Southern intensifier is slam, as in, "Mike O'Koren is slam ugly."

Well, Throatybeard, I am not not sure what the correct terminology is but O'Koren was flat-out ugly in my book.

pamtar
11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
well, the southern standard is "plumb" (short for plumb-bob/plummet), sometimes used interchangeably with "level" (which is incorrect). that is unless you're using it as an adjective (i.e. plum tired, plum tuckered out) but i digress.

'Plumb' is used for vertical measurements, whereas 'level' is used for horizontal measurements. Therefore, both are technically correct. It depends on the context in which they are used.

C'mon, theres no construction workers on this board? My fault...I thought this was GoPack.com.

wilson
11-27-2007, 09:14 PM
"ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEEEE?"

Agreed. Thank you, Dan Shulman. Ditto on all your others, for that matter.

mapei
11-27-2007, 11:46 PM
"the git-go"

Heard that tonight by Vitale's partner (?) on espn.

nathancjack
11-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Anolther baseball-ism that drives me crazy is the recent trend for annoncers to use "RBI" for singular and plural. For years and years it was 2 RBIs, but in the last 5 years or so I have started to hear "2 RBI". I understand you wouldn't say 2 "runs batted ins", but 2 (or more) "RBI" just sounds wrong. Did I miss the memo on this?

Indoor66
11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Genius as applied to coaches is wayyyyyyyyyyy overused. One good team or year and they become geniuses. Give me a break.

YmoBeThere
12-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Okay, I'll admit it...presser for press conference. I just don't get it!

weezie
12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Well, Throatybeard, I am not not sure what the correct terminology is but O'Koren was flat-out ugly in my book.
Followed closely by Eric Montross.

Indoor66
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Tri-Fecta

du2007meb
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
1) trickeration

2) gadget play

captmojo
12-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Followed closely by Eric Montross.

Boric Kartross:D

jdc75
12-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Games with "playoff implications" . Shouldn't it be ramifications.

wallyman
12-03-2007, 10:28 PM
physical teams and physical play.

as opposed to ethereal play?
metaphysical?

also teams that "don't like each other"

ever seen a game where the announcers are struck by how much the teams like each other or really relate well to one another? "Yes, Len. It's really heartwarming to see how much these teams like one another; they really relate well to each other and play together in such a sweet cooperative way."

noladevil
12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
How on earth can you compare the two? I heard it about LaDanian Tomlinson. If that indeed was the case with him, he's a better person than Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela as he's almost beyond compare on the football field.

This phrase has rapidly ascended to overuse in the last few years - a poor analogy used with even worse frequency.

mehmattski
12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I really hate it when announcers say something like:

"And that's the first hit of the game, so far"

"That's Duke's first trey of the game, so far"

etc

Of course it's the first X of the game, so far! Otherwise it wouldn't be first. They're of course insinuating that more of event X will occur, but I don't think any announcers are that deep. Besides, sometimes announcers go so far as to say "That's the second X of the game, so far... Tim McCarver and Mike Patrick are two of the most egregious offenders of this pet peeve.

jjasper0729
12-05-2007, 12:11 PM
mispronouncing "lackadaisical" as if it were "laxadaisical"

this bugs me to no end. i don't know why, but it does.

Ben63
12-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Not to knock Jay Bilas, could he start his NBA draft preview by telling us what prospects are not "freakish athletes" Everyone he covers he calls them freakish athletes. No ^$%^$%^$%^$%, they are all outstanding athletes if they are one of the 60 players drafted each June.

du2007meb
12-08-2007, 09:54 PM
when a player is on the bench but not playing ... they are said to be in "street clothes"

calltheobvious
12-09-2007, 12:06 AM
When you look at the number of commentators these days that are beginning paragraphs with "When you look at the __________...," I think we should all be bothered by this affront to the language.

If memory serves, we have (who in the hell is) Mel Kiper, Jr. to thank for this insidious phrase creeping into the sports vernacular and beyond. About ten years ago I heard him beginning a sentence that way, and I thought it a really weird preface. It seems that people have become almost fearful of stating an idea, so they ease into by letting us know that, When you actually think about what it is that I'm thinking about, which is what I'm about to start talking about (but not yet), I think you will come to the same conclusions I have, which are...

Just spit it out!

mph
12-09-2007, 01:17 AM
While watching the game this afternoon someone reminded me of another irritating phrase today (I think it might have been Seth Davis at half time).

"He brought/didn't bring his "A" game today."

I think we have Tiger Woods to thank for the constant use of this phrase.

j.j. jones
12-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Spurtability, courtesy of Clark Kellogg.

And now, his new one: Triple E. I know it's only been 1 game, but I'm fried with it already.

dukemomLA
12-09-2007, 04:22 AM
Let's consider the following:

The agony of defeat (de-feet... sorry, old joke)

One & done

Punishing D

Diaper Dandy (I like DickieV, but...isn't it time to retire him to the studio, rather than have him calling games?)

And Yeah -- Clark Kellogg's "Triple E" was qute laughable. PULLEEZE. Come on Clark, I love you guy and appreciate that you are one of those who do not denigrate Duke, but...."Triple E" -- NOT

Indoor66
12-09-2007, 11:54 AM
How about the term "sick" applied as a complement. Way off base.

...and along with agony of defeat goes the obvious, thrill of victory.

rthomas
12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Watching the WVU-Duquesne game last night, every time the ball was shot and it didn't go in the announcer would say, "bending, bending, out, rebound to..." or "bending, bending, in" or "beeeend, rebound to so and so."

Never heard that one.

Indoor66
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Watching the WVU-Duquesne game last night, every time the ball was shot and it didn't go in the announcer would say, "bending, bending, out, rebound to..." or "bending, bending, in" or "beeeend, rebound to so and so."

Never heard that one.

I don't know what "bending" means. The Miami Heat radio announcer shouts "Kaboom" each time an outside shot is made. Sounds silly.

throatybeard
12-09-2007, 01:43 PM
"King Taylor."

There. I said it. Sorry.

YmoBeThere
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
One that I think has been missed:

Carolina

mgtr
12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
It seems to me that Marv Albert (of NY Knicks and ladies underwear fame) began the use of colorful language when announcing basketball game. I remember particularly "he stops, he pops, it drops!" At least that was clever, and interesting the first three times. It is not so much the strained effort to be different that hurts, but the constant repetition that is the killer.
I don't watch the NBA much, and certainly not the Knicks these days, so I don't know if he is still around.

ugadevil
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't watch the NBA much, and certainly not the Knicks these days, so I don't know if he is still around.

Fear not...Marv has moved on to the TNT broadcasts.

EarlJam
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
How about when listening to the radio, when the announcers say, "Moving from left to right....."

Bugs just a little.