PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match: Duke vs. Illinois

Jumbo
11-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Who was the Man of the Match in the Duke-Illinois game?

Bob Green
11-21-2007, 12:54 AM
I voted for DeMarcus Nelson as he had some key baskets early in the game that made a difference. IMO, DeMarcus set the tone for the game. Obviously, Gerald had a monster game as well and I expect he will run away with the MOTM vote.

Taco
11-21-2007, 12:58 AM
I voted for DeMarcus Nelson as he had some key baskets early in the game that made a difference. IMO, DeMarcus set the tone for the game. Obviously, Gerald had a monster game as well and I expect he will run away with the MOTM vote.

I'm with you on Nelson. Henderson had the flashier highlights but I feel like DeMarcus did more to win the game.

STLDukeFan4
11-21-2007, 01:57 AM
I had to go with Nelson too. Henderson had some nice shots, also had a few forced ones. Nelson was a man tonight, playing hard, and making some big baskets at some big times.

dukediv2013
11-21-2007, 01:57 AM
I voted for Zoubek... he played one of his best games in a Duke uniform tonight... his stat line doesn't show a lot of points or rebounds, but he played great defense and contested shots. Big Z was great!

feldspar
11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
This was a tough one. I agree that DeMarcus really kept us in it in the first half, especially when Illinois made their run at the end.

But Gerald just had a superb all-around game, and as Jim3K noted in another thread, we probably don't give him enough credit for his defense. It was great tonight.

It was a close one, but I'm going with Gerald. Markie will get plenty of these this year, though.

mgtr
11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
I voted for Henderson, but Nelson was a very close second. And props to Zoubek, clearly his best game. Lets hope he keeps improving. Scheyer doesn't look so hot in the stat line (except for minutes played), but he made some important contributions that don't show up.

Buckeye Devil
11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
looked absolutely awesome. Nelson was impressive, but Henderson's game was solid in every way.

rthomas
11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
half vote for Nelson, half for Henderson.

snowdenscold
11-21-2007, 08:32 AM
half vote for Nelson, half for Henderson.

Does DBR approve of half-Nelson's ? ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I voted for the senior. I agree with Bob Green that DeMarcus set the tone early and then had one of his best all around games. Gerald was fantastic.

wilson
11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Agreed on both Nelson and Henderson. I voted for Gerald, mostly because he was really fun to watch last night. But y'all are right, DeMarcus did more than anyone to set and maintain the tone, especially after Illinois came out like gangbusters early.
As for Zoubek, if he could be a Dikembe Mutombo-type player, it could go a long way toward rounding out this team and making us a real threat. That is to say, don't necessarily be a stat sheet filler: 8 or so points and 8-10 rebounds a game, but just stay in there, compete (but don't foul), and mostly just be a big nuisance to the enemy.

pamtar
11-21-2007, 09:10 AM
I voted for Gerald but in every game I'm pulling for D to be that player. He deserves it! I wonder what MJ thought of Gerald's performance? Indirectly, we beat the holes last night!

EarlJam
11-21-2007, 09:10 AM

Yes. Duke looked a bit lost early on and DeMarcus led them out of the funk. Henderson had a great, great game, but without Nelson's leadership, we may not have won the game.

-EarlJam

devildeac
11-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I voted for Zoubek... he played one of his best games in a Duke uniform tonight... his stat line doesn't show a lot of points or rebounds, but he played great defense and contested shots. Big Z was great!

I did not know you were related to Big Z, dukediv:D . Seriously, I agree that BZ had a nice game with no TO, a few altered shots/points/boards and not fouling out. Good progress. Can't wait to see him continue to develop over the season and he gains confidence and conditioning.

devildeac
11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
I voted for Henderson, but Nelson was a very close second. And props to Zoubek, clearly his best game. Lets hope he keeps improving. Scheyer doesn't look so hot in the stat line (except for minutes played), but he made some important contributions that don't show up.

Led the team in boards last PM according to the N&O this AM, in addition to minutes played. Pretty good for the 6th man. Good plan by Jumbo, err, K, and the others who thought Jon would be excellent off the bench. He was interviewed after one of the early games/exhibitions and he said it was an adjustment but he was very happy with his role.

DukeUsul
11-21-2007, 09:34 AM
He hit the shots when we needed them. And not just the highlight-reel breakaway dunks/layups. The kid was nailing beautiful 15-ft jumpers to stop Illinois spurts.

elvis14
11-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I voted for Henderson and although I appreciate the effort of all our players tonight, for me it wasn't even close. More importantly, I really like watching this Duke team and if "team defense" was available I'd vote for that over GH.

dukestheheat
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I also voted for Markie even though G will win this poll; Markie is closing very well at the hoop, and he's turning the corner on his drives and going to the hole very aggressively.

So this vote for him is a more of a vote of confidence in the improvement that I see in his game. It's a great testament to working through adversity and persisting; we should all be proud to have DeMarcus Nelson as our team captain this year!

All hail Markie!!

dth.

CDu
11-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I voted for Nelson because he seemed to be the only productive player in the early goings. He also had a great FG% and PPS and was among the team leaders in rebounds. I could also accept Henderson as a choice, given he led the team in scoring and had a big second half. Scheyer and Paulus both had solid, understated games, but it would have to be one of those first two for me.

wilko
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
BZ deserves some love...
Did he have the flash of G; no. Did he have the strength of D; no. Did he give a 3rd pg option to buffer Greg and Nolan like Jon. NO.

But just when I was thinking some no so nice things about his contribution to this years team, he surprises me. He scores a few chipies, alters shots and plays hard. What he did with Kyle and Lance in foul trouble is very encouraging. He isnt going to be the lockdown defender on this team. When deny isnt working, the wings will funnel folks to him to be the great wall of China and helpside D will come and help protect him.

He wasnt perfect. But the improvement is happening... So Im rewarding the effort

Jeffrey
11-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I am extremely excited by how many different MotMs we have had this early in the season! This team is deep, talented, and playing well together. IMO, these are just the ingredients needed for Coach K to best work his magic.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

CameronBlue
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I voted for DeMarcus. An inspiring performance from the senior leader does wonders for a team's confidence. A productive Nelson will only help the free-flowing style of Henderson. It's going to be fun watching the two of them on the floor at the same time. Reminds me how Hill and Hill (and Davis and Lang) used to get out on the break together.

I'm geeked.

mapei
11-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I've been a Nelson critic, but I won't be for long if he plays more games like that. Very impressive.

That said, Gerald was too good to be denied and got my vote. Impressed with Scheyer as well.

jipops
11-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Put my vote in for Nelson here. He showed true senior leadership in our first tough test of the season. He was the guy that gave us separation from Illi.

merry
11-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Looks like everyone who voted for Nelson has also posted in this thread, inclduing me. I thought Nelson had an impressively good game. Henderson gets honorable mention from me, and so does Scheyer who had a really solid all around game.

Classof06
11-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Has to be Nelson. You could turn that game on, not knowing anything about Duke's team this year and tell who the senior captain was. He set the tone in the early going, at a time when Duke really wasn't playing that well. It seemed like Duke started the game off a bit tentative, Gerald followed Demarcus' lead and then the rest of the team followed those two. To me, Demarcus is the catalyst on this team, and it's a role he's done a great job of embracing so far; he's blown me away with his leadership (some vocal, some by example). I'm so proud of the way this kid is playing right now.

juise
11-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I will post on behalf of the silent majority who has voted for Henderson. The things I loved about Gerald's game last night were: the way he was able to create and draw fouls off the dribble, the huge pull-up jumpers he hit, and the way he used his leaping ability to help us on the defensive end (skying to get a couple rebounds and making that ridiculous two-handed block).

(Edit: I think I just got my first former Duke player title - CWell!)

ojaidave
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I voted Henderson because I only was able to watch the second half and from that limited data set, he was by far the best. I'm encouraged that Nelson had such a good game, because when I turned the TV off last night, I had been left with the impression the Nelson hadn't played particularly well.

Dave

bird
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I am part of the silent majority in favor of Henderson. How quickly we forget. I remember oh so well how hard we had to work to score the ball last year. Seeing Henderson create, take and make shots, particularly intermediate jumpers just puts a different complexion on things.

Zoubek had his best game in a Duke uniform, and delivered exactly what the team needed and will need to be competitive against top competition. K can use smoke and mirrors to cover up weakness inside, but having a legit big man who can deliver quality minutes even in the teens makes all the difference in the world.