PDA

View Full Version : Today's Football press conference 11-20

jimsumner
11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Okay, first things first.

Roof was asked about his job status. Says he is still coach and no one has told him any different. Expects to sit down with the powers-that-be shortly after the Carolina game.

When asked if he expects to be coaching Duke season, his response was that he hoped to be. Draw your own conclusions.

Roof says he's coaching for something more important than his job, he's coaching for the team and the university.

Thad Lewis and Matt Rumsey also talked to the media. Everybody maintains that Duke football is improving. Rumsey says "talent level, athleticism, coaching, and attitude" have all improved under Roof's tenure. Lewis says Duke has improved "in every area" and "has the talent to match up with anyone."

No one seems willing or able to articulate why this improvement hasn't shown up on the scoreboard, although Roof did maintain that the progression goes from bad to competitive to winning. According to Roof, Duke has gone from bad to competitive. Winning is next.

Rumsey was articulate, even moving, in talking about Roof. "He's one of the prime reasons I came to Duke." Rumsey praised Roof's passion and enthusiasm. When asked what he had learned from Roof, he responded "respecting other people, perseverance, coming to work every day and doing your best regardless of what other people are saying about you."

Matt also spoke at some length about putting on the uniform for the last time Saturday and "lining up with his brothers" for the last time.

When asked the same question about what he had learned from Roof, Thad said "Don't be content. Continue to work hard. Hard work is the key."

Speaking of Thad. The plan late in the first half v. Notre Dame was to run out the clock. Thad saw that Wright wasn't being guarded and thought it was something Duke could exploit so he audibled out of the called play. Roof said that Duke gives its quarterbacks wide latitude in this sort of thing but refused to hang Thad out to dry. Roof did point out that Duke's running backs would also have had to hold onto the ball had they stuck with the original play. There was no question that he regarded this as a crucial play.

Speaking of Thad, II. Thad will start at QB Saturday but playing Asack more is "under definite consideration."

Speaking of Thad, III. TR maintains that Thad is showing some mechanical problems, mainly not setting his feet properly before throwing and that accounts for his recent slump.

Thad describes the mood of the team as "angry." Matt as "frustrated." A win Saturday would go a long way towards establishing a good off-season, regardless of the coach.

throatybeard
11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Jim, I've been looking fwd to your customary post since Saturday.

Bluedawg
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Roof says he's coaching for something more important than his job, he's coaching for the team and the university.

I too look forward to this weekly. You do a great job brother!

This comment is the reason I think TR should stay at Duke. I think he has the ability to turn the team around, if given the time. I don't see him using this as a stepping stone to a bigger school.

With that thought, the word on the street is that Butch Davis is moving on to a bigger school next year [I've heard which one, but don't recall]. Do you heard anything about this?

Lavabe
11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks again Jim for all the updates throughout the season.

Cheers,
Lavabe

SilkyJ
11-20-2007, 05:07 PM
I think it would be a mistake to bench Thad, even if it is the last game of the season.

He has shown great potential and tremendous improvement and half-way through the season was making a case for the 2nd best QB in the ACC. He is still very young and we need to stick with him. If we are going to start winning in the next year or two, he is going to be key.

formerdukeathlete
11-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I think it would be a mistake to bench Thad, even if it is the last game of the season.

He has shown great potential and tremendous improvement and half-way through the season was making a case for the 2nd best QB in the ACC. He is still very young and we need to stick with him. If we are going to start winning in the next year or two, he is going to be key.

T. Lewis is an "in between" qb and this is one reason he was not recruited by the U, for example, which was a short distance from his high school. He is a drop back qb it turns out, but was recruited, evaluated, as a dual threat in high school. He is at a significant height disadvatage as a drop back qb.

He has struggled the last few games partly because of difficulty in seeing down the field, fixating too much on one receiver, etc. Height and mobility are not going to change. His throwing accuracy peaked early in the season.

If it were my job at stake, I'd play Asack a lot, if not start him. He will create problems more consistently than Lewis' once in a while long pass. Roof has been too rigid, sticking with Lewis too long in the game, in the face of mistakes, fumbles, etc.

NYC Duke Fan
11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
I too look forward to this weekly. You do a great job brother!

This comment is the reason I think TR should stay at Duke. I think he has the ability to turn the team around, if given the time. I don't see him using this as a stepping stone to a bigger school.

With that thought, the word on the street is that Butch Davis is moving on to a bigger school next year [I've heard which one, but don't recall]. Do you heard anything about this?

Have you checked Coach Roof's record the last 4 years 6-43, and I think that he won 3 games when he was hired in the middle of his first year ?

As to Butch Davis, the rumor has it that if Les Miles bolts LSU for Michigan, the Davis could become the new LSU Coach. That said, didn't he sign a 3-4 year contract with UNC..?.I guess there must be a buy out clause

watzone
11-20-2007, 06:03 PM
He represented Duke well, in a difficult press conference. It didn't do anything to encourage one to think he might be back. I will leave it at that. Still, Ted has always been a very classy and good man who has never done anything to misrepresent Duke. He will be in football for a long time.

It's always nice to sit with Brill, Feather, Bob Harris and Jim. Frank Dascenzo joined our distinguished table today. I will miss the lemonade;)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-20-2007, 08:58 PM

The local media has said he is/will be courted by his alma mater - Arkansas. He's denying it, of course. Just like Stever Spurrier did in 1989 while (still) at Duke when Florida came a-courtin'.