PDA

View Full Version : Duke-UNC FB thread

throatybeard
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Place discussion of Saturday's game against UNC-CH here.

Please refrain from speculation about Roof's job status in this thread, at least until after the game.

ugadevil
11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Please refrain from speculation about Roof's job status in this thread, at least until after the game.

What about Butch Davis' job status? Maybe the news about his possible leaving UNC for the Arkansas job will distract his team this week and benefit Duke.

whereinthehellami
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Word from IC is that UNC is close to announcing a contract extension for BD and stadium upgrades. The vibe coming from the hill is all positive at this point and they will probably roll over Duke this weekend.

wilson
11-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Sadly, I harbor no illusions that we're going to win this weekend. I'll be interested to see how competitive we are. Every time I think the mojo around this program can't get any worse, it does. I feel terrible for the players, and I find it truly mystifying that we're this hapless year in and year out. *Sigh.*

throatybeard
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
What about Butch Davis' job status? Maybe the news about his possible leaving UNC for the Arkansas job will distract his team this week and benefit Duke.

Frank Dascenzo is acting like he knows something about Davis:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/18-900177.cf

sandinmyshoes
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I understand that Davis has agreed to an extension with UNC.

As for the game, UNC has been very erratic. If we catch them on a down game, good things could happen. If we catch them on an up game it could get ugly and I don't want to think about it.

Bluedawg
11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Word from IC is that UNC is close to announcing a contract extension for BD and stadium upgrades. The vibe coming from the hill is all positive at this point and they will probably roll over Duke this weekend.

Butch Davis set to get $291,000 raise (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/784970.html)

The University of North Carolina announced today that it has agreed in principle with head football coach Butch Davis to a one-year contract extension and a raise of $291,000 per year pending approval of the University Board of Trustees next week.

"We recognize the progress Coach Davis has made in rebuilding and generating momentum in the Carolina football program," Athletic Director Dick Baddour said in a statement. "Progress has been demonstrated by the hard work of the players on and off the field, the competitive games Carolina has played against one of the nation¹s most difficult schedules, the excitement each week at Kenan Stadium and the quality of the student-athletes he and his staff are recruiting.

Quite a large increase for the year he has had.

allenmurray
11-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Tommorrow at 3:30 an ESPNU we might see the reing of Ted Roof come to an end. In his first season he defeated UNC in Chapel Hill. Why can't he do it again?

The Blue Devils have a great WR in Eron Riley who will be going against an undersized UNC Secondary.

As Long as the Blue Devil Defense does not give up any BIG Plays from TJ Yates to Brandon Tate we should have a good chance.

We need to put alot of pressure on the tar heel QB and make sure that we make the tackel when it is there.

I will be there on the 40. yd line, 2nd row, and this will be a great game!

DUKE: 38

UNC: 30

sandinmyshoes
11-23-2007, 08:21 PM
If UNC has one of those games where they make a lot of mistakes, like blown coverages and turnovers, then we have a good chance. We do have significant experience advantage over them. We also have a mobile QB, and will probably need him to be very mobile since their defensive line can be ferocious.

If UNC has one of those games where they do not make a lot of mistakes it could be a long day.

Bluedawg
11-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Preview: Duke at North Carolina (http://www.newsobserver.com/734/story/789248.html)

When Duke has the ball: Duke has struggled all year to move the ball with any consistency, and that should be the case today. Roof has lamented the lack of long drives from his offense, even if a big-play threat from solid QB Thaddeus Lewis still exists. Edge: UNC

When UNC has the ball: UNC will try to get a rusher to 100 yards, keeping alive a streak of seasons since 1966 with at least one such game. Edge: UNC

Special teams: UNC has shined in special teams -- with kicker Connor Barth now owning the school career field goals record and returner Brandon Tate a league leader. Tate took a punt and kickoff to the house against Duke last year. Edge: UNC

Intangibles: Duke might not have a chance to save Roof's job. But if either team has something to play for, it's Duke. Edge: Duke

If this is correct it could be a long day today.

Bluedawg
11-24-2007, 08:36 AM
If you've never seen any of Grey Blackwell's cartoons you must. They are really good. This one is titled Butch Davis Needs More Victory Bell (http://videos.newsobserver.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1569758)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2007, 09:38 AM
If you've never seen any of Grey Blackwell's cartoons you must. They are really good. This one is titled Butch Davis Needs More Victory Bell (http://videos.newsobserver.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1569758)

Butch Davis is going to LOSE that Victory Bell today!
GO DUKE! BEAT carolina!

SharkD
11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
This is the first time, in my recollection of recent history, that Duke-Carolina hasn't been televised (not even Raycom is showing it).

throatybeard
11-24-2007, 12:37 PM
This is the first time, in my recollection of recent history, that Duke-Carolina hasn't been televised (not even Raycom is showing it).

It's on ESPNU.

And it's been untelevised a few times lately.

throatybeard
11-24-2007, 03:31 PM
All right, I just saw ugly a$s blue on that bell; let's mess them up.

Thank you ESPNU.

devildeac
11-24-2007, 03:59 PM
1-2 minutes in, bad guys-7, good guys-0 allowing a long KO return to about midfield then a PF negating a 5 yd loss and then a TD by the holes.

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
6 minutes to go, good guys-7, bad guys-7. we had 1st and goal at the 8, had about a 12 yd loss on a sack, lost 1-2 on a famous screen, had a delay of game and then Thad hit wright for a TD with a good PAT but a 15 yd excessive celebration against us assessed on the ko giving the holes good field position

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
1-2 minutes in, bad guys-7, good guys-0 allowing a long KO return to about midfield then a PF negating a 5 yd loss and then a TD by the holes.

And we returned the favor to make it 7-7!

CameronBlue
11-24-2007, 04:04 PM
6 minutes to go, good guys-7, bad guys-7. we had 1st and goal at the 8, had about a 12 yd loss on a sack, lost 1-2 on a famous screen, had a delay of game and then Thad hit wright for a TD with a good PAT but a 15 yd excessive celebration against us assessed on the ko giving the holes good field position

That sounds like about a week's worth of soap opera episodes. You forgot the part about Sandra falling in love with the star quarterback.

PomPomGirl
11-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Are we unable to read the play clock? Holy cow!

grossbus
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
make it three delay of games in the 1st qtr. makes one question the coaching, but i can't do that here :)

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
3 and out, bad punt, unc ball at our 30. we have 5 penalties for 45 yards so far with THREE delay of game calls(did carl franks come back to coach this game?)

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
make it three delay of games in the 1st qtr. makes on question the coaching, but i can't do that here :)

I think you can now, with the 'leak' on WRAL, there has been a coaching thread on the EK board now for 2 days

CameronBlue
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Way to go defense!

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Is there a chat room today?

grossbus
11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
no, throaty said no coach speculation, so i won't

talking about speculation, do you think there is anyone who doesn't know we are going to run zack up the middle each time he comes in? that first down play killed that drive. McFadden he ain't. Hogs line we ain't. stick to what is working.

billybreen
11-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Is there a chat room today?

http://www.ryanbreen.com:81/SnrubChat

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Marshall with the pick in the end zone, Duke takes over at our 20, still 7-7.

p.s. could we please learn how to tackle

devildeac
11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.ryanbreen.com:81/SnrubChat

Thank you BB, hope you will be able to chat today and have less bouncing to do:D

grossbus
11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
why throw for the end zone when you are moving the ball well. the play was not open. stalled the drive. kick is about a mile left. no points.

coaching.

duketaylor
11-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Not here, so I'll be counting on you guys for the next hour, plus. I'll post later about coaching and the future of Duke football. If someone moderates my post out, that's up to them. I do have some tidbits, though.

grossbus
11-24-2007, 05:30 PM
gee, they really don't tackle well, do they?

Karl Beem
11-24-2007, 05:41 PM
why throw for the end zone when you are moving the ball well. the play was not open. stalled the drive. kick is about a mile left. no points.

coaching.

Kibitzing. ;)

grossbus
11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
now THAT was a nice drive.

PomPomGirl
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
now THAT was a nice drive.

Taking the lead is a good thing!

YmoBeThere
11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Can't see or hear, just following along. Looks like I didn't miss much since the1st quarter.

tombrady
11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
if we can hold on and beat unc...what a slap in the face. they're gonna be pissed.

sandinmyshoes
11-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I thought we had a chance if UNC played like an inexperienced team. At the beginning all those penalties made me think it was going to be a long day. But two interceptions later and then a really stupid penalty for mouthing by that Little guy I'm starting to think we can pull it off.

ArnieMc
11-24-2007, 06:17 PM
The announcer just said: "Little, a gaping Hole". Truer words were never spoken.

PomPomGirl
11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Boy, did the defense look tired on their last drive. Tie game again.

godukerocks
11-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Ohh boy. He hooked it left.

Let's get 'em in overtime

Sixthman
11-24-2007, 06:43 PM
He put it right where anyone who understands football would have expected him to put it.

SharkD
11-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Bah!

YmoBeThere
11-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Wide left again....

Karl Beem
11-24-2007, 06:48 PM
He's consistent.:(

YmoBeThere
11-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Carolina wins...TD in 1st OT

CameronBlue
11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Incredible way for this game to end.

sandinmyshoes
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Heartbreaking, and I am afraid it will be more than a few years before we have that kind of opportunity against UNC. :(

jimsumner
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Knowing what we know about Duke's place-kicking, the decision to play for the field goal at the end of regulation simply defies belief. Duke should have played that last possession like they were down by four. Touchdown or nothing.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Knowing what we know about Duke's place-kicking, the decision to play for the field goal at the end of regulation simply defies belief. Duke should have played that last possession like they were down by four. Touchdown or nothing.

Jim, truer words were never written.

CameronBlue
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Yes, never a truer word spoken. BUT, can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22? As a coach you have to put your players in a position to make plays and challenge them to have the guts to do so.

Still, this is about the worst Duke loss I've endured. Beyond words.

PomPomGirl
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Seriously. The kicking has been terrible.

captmojo
11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Damn. Just damn. Kicking game is terrible. The Devils outplayed them all day. It should not have come to this. I told my son that I wished it would come to a walk-off field goal to win because I didn't like the chances in OT. I thought it might be redemption. Damn.:(

Oh. Win or lose, carolina can still go to hell.

godukerocks
11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
3 for 10 on the season for field goals.

That's D-III caliber.

Recruit a kicker for God's sake. And I hope Roof stayes cause he's this close.

Sixthman
11-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Yes, and the lack of understanding by the coaching staff on that kind of point, combined with the fact that a team supposedly handicapped in recruiting by academic standards is still making inexcusable mental errors in the last game of the season explain why Ted Roof, a good man, will no longer be Duke's coach. A COACHING CHANGE WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. But still, the end of this game was poorly played by decisions makers in denial.

grossbus
11-24-2007, 06:58 PM
"can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22"

that would be the same coach the recruited the kicker, right?

i think i would rather have been blown out.

RelativeWays
11-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Well another football season ends with a splat. I wish TR could have gone out a winner. Really I see only two options at this point for the school in regards to the football program. Spare no expense to improve it or leave the ACC for the Big East so we can field one of those Div 1-AA teams or whatever they are calling it now. And lets face it, option number 2 isn't going to happen.

CameronBlue
11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
"can you imagine the frustration of a coach who knows his team can't kick a FG from the 22"

i think i would rather have been blown out.

And every football player recruited lives up to his billing? This resides with Ted, no question. It's beside the point that Maggio was not recruited as a kicker and has had at least some success this year.

Jim3k
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm actually more upset by the series immediately following the 4th Q TD. The team had proven that it could run on the Heels. But the first play was a TD pass attempt (that if successful, would have been amazing). But the incompletion put the team in a hole that eventually went backwards. Boyle was running very well and another drive like the TD drive would have eaten clock big time. I have no doubt that if the series had begun with a decent run, we'd have won the game.

The other bone I have to pick, is the failure to deal with Little. To use a basketball analogy, he had a 'Bootsy' game going. So why didn't we develop something to stop him? In the OT, everyone under the sun knew it was going to be handed off to him.

Another bone...What is it with missed first tackles? We had guys in their backfield all day long, but they rarely nailed the ball carrier. The ball carrier, often Little as the game developed, just shouldn't be missed like that. Too many one-armed tackles. No one is that slippery. No one. He should have been slowed up at the very least.

Overall, though, I liked the teams' effort. They didn't give up.

Roof's final words, quoting Shakespeare: 'A kicker, a kicker. My kingdom for a kicker!

devildeac
11-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Word. Not to mention we had 2-3 TO left, 0:38 on the clock and I think Kelly and Riley still had their unis on. Even 1 or 2 first downs to the 5 or 10 yard line may have made it a tough kick:(

tbyers11
11-24-2007, 07:26 PM

I completely agree and said something very similar to my wife. You've got the ball on the 25 (or so) with just under a minute left and 2 timeouts and you call two running plays that gain about a yard and force your kicker (who you should know is not very good) to attempt a 39 yard FG with a TO still in hand. Why don't you keep throwing the ball and go for the touchdown or at least another 10 to 15 yards to give your kicker a legitimate shot.

Also was ESPNU correct that Durgan and not Maggio came out to attempt the FG in OT? The coaching staff needed to pick a kicker and stick with them. It wasn't a distance vs accuracy thing because the 2 FG's were less than 5 yards apart.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Also was ESPNU correct that Durgan and not Maggio came out to attempt the FG in OT? The coaching staff needed to pick a kicker and stick with them. It wasn't a distance vs accuracy thing because the 2 FG's were less than 5 yards apart.

It was Surgan in OT. At least it wasn't blocked...

Bob Green
11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Well the season is over and we end up 1-11. Back in August, I was full of optimism and really thought we had a realistic chance to win four or five games this year. A lucky bounce here, a lucky bounce there...It wasn't to be. Duke football needs to move forward. The AD needs to make an intelligent hire and turn the program around. I just pray we aren't having this same conversation in four or five years. I'm tired of losing.

throatybeard
11-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Still, this is about the worst Duke loss I've endured. Beyond words.

I've said that about roughly 6 UNC losses in the last 12 years...

Sixthman
11-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Well the season is over and we end up 1-11. Back in August, I was full of optimism and really thought we had a realistic chance to win four or five games this year. A lucky bounce here, a lucky bounce there...It wasn't to be. Duke football needs to move forward. The AD needs to make an intelligent hire and turn the program around. I just pray we aren't having this same conversation in four or five years. I'm tired of losing.

I agree. I told a friend at midseason that I thought this team had found a way to make its own luck, something all good teams do and something missing from the Duke program for 15 years. I was wrong. We need a complete change to the culture of the football program, which has become a culture of losing. It was this way before Ted Roof arrived and will take more than a change of coaches to change the culture. No one person created this culture, I imagine everyone involved with the program would like to change it, and yet, if we believe that a remake of Wallace Wade and a new coach will change the culture, we are doomed to having this conversation for decades. The fact of the matter is, the number of us who care enough about Duke football to have this conversation is small. We need more people working on more fronts to make this kind of change.

patentgeek
11-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I completely agree and said something very similar to my wife. You've got the ball on the 25 (or so) with just under a minute left and 2 timeouts and you call two running plays that gain about a yard and force your kicker (who you should know is not very good) to attempt a 39 yard FG with a TO still in hand. Why don't you keep throwing the ball and go for the touchdown or at least another 10 to 15 yards to give your kicker a legitimate shot.

Just to give a counterpoint view, continuing to throw, and particularly taking a shot at the end zone, risks (a) a sack, (b) a holding penalty (either of which take you out of field goal range, and both of which Duke has been very susceptible to this season) and (c) a disatrous interception. You're very unlikely to score a TD running or throwing short. Duke was clearly within the FG range of the kicker (even though he missed, the kick was plenty long). So while I understand people questioning the strategy, particularly in view of Duke's FG struggles this seasons, by no means was simply sneaking the ball to a preferred angle and taking the FG attempt an unquestionably bad strategy.

patentgeek
11-24-2007, 09:47 PM

For what it's worth, as someone that attended the game, it was clear that Duke was much more ready to play and into the game than the hated Heels. There is plenty of fodder for criticizing Coach Roof (particularly in the win-loss column), but the team was clearly not mailing it in (and who could blame them if they did?), whereas the same could not be said of the hated Heels. There were a lot of sheepish "we didn't deserve that win" looks on Heels' fans as they exited Kenan tonight.

patentgeek
11-24-2007, 09:52 PM

To be fair, Joe Durgan was a very highly regarded high school kicker, as this link demonstrates:

http://hsflorida.scout.com/2/265861.html

Surgan may have struggled while at Duke, but it's hard to fault Ted Roof for recruiting him.

dukie8
11-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Just to give a counterpoint view, continuing to throw, and particularly taking a shot at the end zone, risks (a) a sack, (b) a holding penalty (either of which take you out of field goal range, and both of which Duke has been very susceptible to this season) and (c) a disatrous interception. You're very unlikely to score a TD running or throwing short. Duke was clearly within the FG range of the kicker (even though he missed, the kick was plenty long). So while I understand people questioning the strategy, particularly in view of Duke's FG struggles this seasons, by no means was simply sneaking the ball to a preferred angle and taking the FG attempt an unquestionably bad strategy.

how was duke "clearly within the FG of the kicker" when it would have equaled his longest fg of the SEASON? as far as i was concerned, we were NOT even in fg range. running 2 plays up the middle for virtually no yards would have been about the last thing i would have done in light of the fact that duke had all 3 timeouts, has a decent qb and receivers and had just walked the ball up the field by throwing it. the team was 1-10 at that point so it wasn't like a pick run back for a td was going to keep them out of a bcs bowl.

you have to put the team in position to win and sitting back with a doomed strategy doesn't cut it. it reminded me of the jets in the playoffs a couple of years ago when herm edwards was still the coach. they were at pittsburgh, which is one of the hardest places to kick in, got the ball on the absolute edge of the kicker's range and proceeded to run a couple of idiotic plays up the middle for virtually no yardage. the kicker comes in for what was going to be one of the longest fgs ever in that stadium and proceeds to miss. of course pitt wound up getting the ball back and winning (and went on to win the super bowl).

godukerocks
11-24-2007, 10:09 PM
how was duke "clearly within the FG of the kicker" when it would have equaled his longest fg of the SEASON?

If you are a Division I kicker, in the Atlantic Coast Conference, by God you should be able to make it from 40 yards. I don't blame Roof at all for his end of game strategy. Duke needs to go to the soccer team and borrow Mike Grella or somebody.

jlear
11-24-2007, 10:16 PM
For what it's worth, as someone that attended the game, it was clear that Duke was much more ready to play and into the game than the hated Heels. There is plenty of fodder for criticizing Coach Roof (particularly in the win-loss column), but the team was clearly not mailing it in (and who could blame them if they did?), whereas the same could not be said of the hated Heels. There were a lot of sheepish "we didn't deserve that win" looks on Heels' fans as they exited Kenan tonight.

Emotionally I agree 100%, but since the game was against the hated heels the players would be up for the game, an ACC game they could win against the team they hate the most regardless of the coaches.

We could not stop the run with any consistency at all, too many running plays included at least two missed tackles before the runner was stopped. Missed tackles, in my opinion equal not being ready to play. Three delay of game penalties in the first qtr equal not being ready to play.

The team was not mailing it in, but in my opinion this team was not prepared for the season at all. In my opinion, this team with its talent could have played better every week. The difference to me is coaching at all levels and from the last game until the start of the season. Our players need better development, better preparation, and better in game coaching.

jlear
11-24-2007, 10:23 PM
If you are a Division I kicker, in the Atlantic Coast Conference, by God you should be able to make it from 40 yards. I don't blame Roof at all for his end of game strategy. Duke needs to go to the soccer team and borrow Mike Grella or somebody.

The recruited kicked should be able to do an adequate job period. The special teams coordinator, might be a great guy, but he has zero experience coaching special teams – link (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22665&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=793078&Q_SEASON=2007).

Perhaps we need to have a kicking coach or a special teams coach with some recent experience. Maybe one of the other coaches has it and I am just wrong.

tbyers11
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM

I agree that a Division I ACC kicker should make a 40 yd field goal about 75% of the time. However, the Duke kickers have proven this season that they are not capable of this. Maggio looked awful on a 36 yd attempt earlier in this game. The head coach should be held responsible for knowing the strengths and, in this case, limitations of his players. You call plays that give your team the best chance to win based on these characteristics. How Ted Roof could coach this team and its kickers all year and think that they didn't need to gain 10 more yards to have a significantly better chance of winning is beyond me.

In addition, I feel calling the running plays to basically setup the kick for the field goal was the "safe" play call. It was emblematic of the lack of aggressive, confident play-calling missing from the Duke offense all season. The team takes its cues from the coaches and the fact that the coaching staff seems to have played not to lose rather than to win may have been one of its biggest faults.

dukie8
11-24-2007, 10:41 PM

should is the operative word. the fact of the matter is that duke DIDN'T have a kicker tonight who could kick a 40 yarder with any degree of certainty. everyone on the chat board knew it so it is beyond me that he was calling plays like he had adam vinatieri warming up on the sidelines. i DO blame roof for those boneheaded plays leading up to the woeful fg attempt.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-25-2007, 12:29 AM
We should have thrown the ball on that last series, using ~15 (+/- 5) yard routes, maybe breaking one for a touchdown. Jomar Wright, Brandon King, Ronnie Drummer and the other tight end Stephano are all good receivers in that range, to say nothing of Eron Riley who usually goes deeper. The plays Roof/Vass called were designed to not lose in regulation, not to win. conventional wisdom says you play to win on the road, tie at home (but not against carolina, EVER).

freedevil
11-25-2007, 12:33 AM
I hate Carolina. That is all.

captmojo
11-25-2007, 07:30 AM
...post concerning this season in football. All good wishes to the senior class and the coaching staff.

OK. Our guys lost on the scoreboard. That is the only place they lost for me. I've had several hours away from thinking about yesterday. I'd like to think that I could make some level-headed conclusions concerning that final contest. I'm not sure but I'll try anyway.

First of all, the coaching staff put forth a great game plan. I imagine carolina, as well as many reading my drivel, may have been expecting to see an offense from Duke that was going to hit the field pulling out all manner of trick plays to take the holes off their feet with something unexpected. Didn't happen, did it? Maybe that was the trickery. The former has been a pattern in the past. Plays that were held back from vision all year only to be witnessed at season's end. No, this was straight-up. Man for man gut business.

This undersized Duke team put forth an effort against a larger, mouthing off opponent that was wonderful to see. And furthermore, over there on their home field. The holes were stunned to see themselves behind in the forth quarter. How could this be possible?

Our group of gentlemen kept their heads and outplayed the enemy. This game was not deserved to be a loss. Effort was there. Desire was there. But for accuracy in the kicking game, we would not have been subjected to overtime. I'm not going to further the pain of the coaches or kickers. This was a team loss. It always is, isn't it. There were 59 other minutes of play where the team had opportunities to win the game. This, I believe, holds true for every competition. Life, as well as any sport. In the game of life, this squad will be able to hold their heads high and say to the world that they gave it their best effort.

I've gone on for too long now so I'll close by asking everyone here to celebrate the effort put forth by the team, and wish all on it good fortune for what is surely better times ahead.(I'm stealing optimism from Oz right here) Don't dwell on the loss. Rather plan ahead for how sweet it will be when the day comes, and it will, for the next victory over that bunch of hooligans over there in that bad shade of blue. Win or lose, their team always sucks.;)