PDA

View Full Version : Favor?

Native
11-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here (I was referred by imafacultywife, who is in fact my grandmother). My high school is brand new and we need a great student section to pump up our team. I'm a huge Duke fan, and I know how clever the Crazies are. Does anyone have any good ideas for a name for our student section? As much as I'd like to do Crazies, there are too many schools in our conference who have already adopted that namesake. We are the Panther Creek High School Catamounts, and our school colors are Columbia Blue, Black, and Silver. Our coach's name is Hepp (Look him up, he was a former assistant at Stanford and Tulsa). Any thoughts?

YmoBeThere
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Welcome Native!

Had to look up what a Catamount was...a Cougar? I would love to help, but unfortunately I am not very creative. So really, all I am doing is wasting your and my time. You would think I would know better.

jimbonelson
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
how about pride

jimbonelson
11-19-2007, 08:48 PM
or the cougars den

feldspar
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
The Hepp Cats.

Too easy.

wilson
11-19-2007, 11:03 PM
The Hepp Cats.

Too easy.

Pretty good. Or how about the Frenzied/Frantic Felines?

feldspar
11-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Pretty good. Or how about the Frenzied/Frantic Felines?

Eh. Alliteration is overrated.

wilson
11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Eh. Alliteration is overrated.

Well thanks a lot, f&*%in' feldspar.;)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
The Hepp Cats.

Welcome Native. You come from good stockl

I like that, as long as your coach is there. 25 years from now students will wonder how it originated!

FireOgilvie
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
...and our school colors are Columbia Blue

You're a good man.

I like Hepp Cats... but it's too 1942 for my taste.

dukemomLA
11-20-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm thinking the POUNCING PANTHERS should be given some consideration. Or the Black & Silver Tidalwave. Just a thought. PLEASE let us know what the result becomes!! Welcome to DBR! The BEST website on the planet.

Lulu
11-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Panthers and Catamounts...? Something Hairballs? The Harebrained Hairballs? I like alliteration. It's a little foul, but kinda like being crazy.

...on second thought... "Hairball" and "airball", not a good connection unless you're causing them for the other team. That'll be too easy for opposing fans to pick on.

Carlos
11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
our school colors are Columbia Blue

Nicely stated.... you'll do well here.

EarlJam
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
The Roaring Rowdies? (Plays of a cat's roar)

The Meow Mob?

The Heppballs? (Like Hairballs but, well, hmmph)

The Witty Whiskers?

The Wasculy Witty Whiskers?

The Wild and Wasculy Witty Whiskers?

The Cat Tounges? (plays off of "Cat got your tounge" Tounge = Voice, all that)

Jaws of the Paws?

Cat's Cradle?

The Litter Box?

Cicero
11-20-2007, 05:16 PM
The "Caterwauling Catamounts"?

M. Tullius.

captmojo
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
"The Catnip Crew"

"Catnippers"

'Cause they make the team go crazy.

ojaidave
11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I think pride was a good one. How bout "The Pride" .

Hepp cats is clever as well, however you'd be tying yourself to a single coach/sport.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Hepp cats is clever as well, however you'd be tying yourself to a single coach/sport.

Of course, if the name Hepp Cats lived on after the coach left/retired, it would still be honoring him.

ojaidave
11-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Of course, if the name Hepp Cats lived on after the coach left/retired, it would still be honoring him.

You're right of course, but as this is a new school, who's to say that this coach is deserving of a such an honor? Look what happened to Doherty's Disciples. What about the others that might share that gym, like the women's BBall team or the volleyball team, or even the wrestlers? I just think naming your cheering section (students) after a coach is constraining by default. Not to push Jimbonelson's idea too hard, but "The Pride" is generic enough that exuberant fans that show up for the football games can adopt that name, as can those that cheer on the volleyball team.

One caveat here though, I have no idea if "Pride" is widely used at other schools. For all I know, there may be hundreds of feline mascoted schools that all use that name for it's cheering section - in which case that would be a really sucky name.

Dave

wilson
11-20-2007, 11:12 PM
One caveat here though, I have no idea if "Pride" is widely used at other schools. For all I know, there may be hundreds of feline mascoted schools that all use that name for it's cheering section - in which case that would be a really sucky name.

Dave

Also, not to get all nerdy on everyone or anything, but a pride is specifically a group of lions. Catamounts are essentially solitary or small-group animals, so to call your cheering section "The Pride" would be quite the misnomer.

Son of Jarhead
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Wecome. I don't have a suggestion that has not already been given by others, but perhaps you can ask the same question on a message board at either Western Carolina University or The University of Vermont, as both are also the Catamounts. Perhaps college fans there will have a good suggestion.

I went to WCU a long time ago, before the current gym, the RAC, when we played in the old Reid Gym & I recall a few references to the "Reid Rowdies", but it never really stuck. I also recall a slogan (on t-shirts or hats) of "Cat Pride", which refered to being a proud cat fan, though, I suppose it did play on the 'pride of lions' a bit. I have not kept up well enough with WCU to know if they have a nickname for their student section, but hopefully a current student/fan will be able to help. (I have many relatives that went to UVM, but none currently, or even recently, so no help there, but their school is basketball crazy, so a current student/fan there would be a great source also.)

WCU link: http://catamountsports.cstv.com/ Gooooo Cats!

UVM link: http://www.uvm.edu/athletics/

ojaidave
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Also, not to get all nerdy on everyone or anything, but a pride is specifically a group of lions. Catamounts are essentially solitary or small-group animals, so to call your cheering section "The Pride" would be quite the misnomer.

Well, there is that. I hadn't realized pride was specific to lions. I agree using the "The Pride" would be a poor choice considering cougars are solitary animals.

I still think using the coaches name would at a new school would be a mistake. Heck, even Coack K had to hang around a while before they'd name anything after him.

Thanks for fact checking Wilson.

Dave

TillyGalore
11-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the board Native. Ozzie is right, you do come from good stock.

I am a Catamount! Okay, so I'm really a UVM (University of Vermont) grad not an actual cat. When I was there, oh so long ago, we didn't have a name for our student section. I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with one for you as catamounts obviously hold a special place in my heart.

"Catamount Crazies" seems like it would work, though I understand why you wouldn't want to use "crazies". How about "Cat Fans"? It's short, to the point, and easy to chant.

FYI, our mascots were called Charlie and Kitty. Our cheer always has been and always will be GO CATS GO!

Rich
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
The Kitty Litter

The Cat Fight

The KitKat Club

Feline Fanatics

Son of Jarhead
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I think UVM's mascot is now called "Rally". WCU's is called "Paws".

A couple things just for kicks, 1) WCU has a radio show (WWCU) called "ITL" (In The Litterbox) & 2) this is from the WCU employee handbook:

What Is a Catamount?
Western Carolina University's unique mascot and nickname for its athletics teams seems to always bring about the same question when the Catamounts play on the road ... "What is a Catamount?"

Webster's Dictionary defines "catamount" as "any of various wild cats such as a cougar or lynx." Cats of the catamount variety, including the bobcat, have long roamed the southern Appalachian Mountains. The nickname evolved from a contest that was held on the Cullowhee campus in 1933. The school was called Western Carolina Teachers College at that time and its teams were known as the Teachers.

Everyone on campus was invited to participate, and the usual names were suggested--Bears, Indians, Panthers. However, the college wanted an unusual name, a name that few others had and that everyone would not copy.

The contest came down to Mountain Boomers, a small ground squirrel that scampers about the woods and is extremely difficult to catch, and Catamounts. Catamounts was the favorite of Head Football Coach C.C. Poindexter and was the nickname chosen. Poindexter wanted his players to be Catamounts with "fierce spirit, savage attacks, and lightning quick moves."

Western Carolina University is the only football-playing school in the nation using the nickname "Catamounts" with the University of Vermont being the only other school playing under that nickname.

TillyGalore
11-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I think UVM's mascot is now called "Rally".

While "Rally" is more ferocious looking than Charlie and Kitty, I will always hold Charlie and Kitty in a special place in my heart.

mapei
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
I like Cat's Cradle.

The Cat Fighters.

Carnivores.

Panther Creek Predators

Creeksters

Native
12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Well, as I'm also my class president, we decided in a recent student council meeting to name the actual section of the bleachers where we all stand the "Catamount's Cage". Pretty good; I lobbied for funding to get a big cage and to drop it over us when the game started, but I had no support. :(

OZZIE4DUKE
12-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Well, as I'm also my class president, we decided in a recent student council meeting to name the actual section of the bleachers where we all stand the "Catamount's Cage". Pretty good; I lobbied for funding to get a big cage and to drop it over us when the game started, but I had no support. :(

That's cool! I like the name. Perhaps you could get a big net to drop - it would be both cheaper and less painful that a metal cage.

4decadedukie
12-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Almost too easy: The Lion's Den

TillyGalore
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM

I like this name! Excellent work and thank you for letting us know the out come.

GO CATS GO!!