PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Next Great Hated Dukie?

heath_harshman4
11-17-2007, 04:40 PM
There was Wojo, Collins, Redick, now its Paulus. But from the incoming freshman class, who do you think will be the next hated primetime Duke player. My vote is for Taylor King, hes a guy who is good, and knows it, and will tell anyone who will or wont listen. haha...I love it. Ive already heard complaints from some of my UNC buddies.

captmojo
11-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Uggggggh...Nixon.:confused:

YmoBeThere
11-17-2007, 05:02 PM
haha...UNC buddies.

Perhaps get some new friends?

captmojo
11-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Perhaps get some new friends?

It seemed almost Freudian, didn't it?

heath_harshman4
11-17-2007, 05:10 PM
haha, i got plenty of Duke buddies, but you have to get other peoples point of view on the basketball season and it just so happens that the guys i talk to are Heel fans. their loss

RelativeWays
11-17-2007, 06:55 PM
I've never really felt that Paulus is all that hated. He definitely seemed like he would assume the mantle during JJ's senior year, but it never really caught on with him. My guess would be Scheyer, maybe.

Lavabe
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I've never really felt that Paulus is all that hated. He definitely seemed like he would assume the mantle during JJ's senior year, but it never really caught on with him. My guess would be Scheyer, maybe.

I believe Tacky Blue Land would go with one particular person...

Gerald

CHEERS,
Lavabe

rsvman
11-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Singler, I'm guessing. They'll hate whomever hurts them the most, and of the freshman, I think Singler will be that guy.

Ignatius07
11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
For whatever reason, being white also helps being hated. If any of those aforementioned players had bloodied Hansbrough's nose, the reaction would have been ten times worse. Henderson still might live to tell the tale!

zingit
11-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Really? I definitely get the feeling that Paulus is hated. Check out this from a season preview (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=darcy/071107) from ESPN's Page 2:

21. There's still a reason to hate Duke: Just watch Greg Paulus sprint to Coach K's huddle after a timeout has been called on the floor. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for hustle. But Paulus oozes "teacher's pet."

He gets to timeouts too fast? I mean, that's really gotta be the stupidest criticism of a Duke player I've ever heard. To be fair, this writer follows up this comment by praising Kyle Singler, but that just makes it all the more obvious that Paulus catches a lot of flack.

monkey
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
For whatever reason, being white also helps being hated. If any of those aforementioned players had bloodied Hansbrough's nose, the reaction would have been ten times worse. Henderson still might live to tell the tale!

Yes, but not all hated Duke players are white ... for example, Shane Battier was despised on a variety of levels. Not sure that Carawell got much love either, but maybe that was cuz he talked so much good trash :) .

(Also, an aside - even as a Duke fan I personally found Collins as a player to be extraordinarily annoying - he would run around banging his chests with his fists after every shot it seemed)

Paulus did seem like a likely candidate based on pre-Duke message board chatter (and if I recall J.J.'s own statements), but it seems to me the most likely candidates are Henderson and Scheyer.

sandinmyshoes
11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I am married to a UNC fan (that's why I never type or say "Carolina" when refering to them. I like to drive her crazy by always saving that for South Carolina). I have a number of UNC fans as friends. I haven't seen much Paulus hatred. And among them I have not seen much hatred for Gerald Henderson (though they certainly used the incident to attack Coach K).

But I have noticed a strong and growing dislike for Scheyer, and the early stirring of dislike for Taylor King. I think in most cases fans seem to dislike players on other teams who are demonstrative with their emotions. Which is why Battier-hatred always confused me. That probably has to do with the ability to draw a charge. I know I found myself loathing Jeff Lebo, even though he seemed a decent enough guy otherwise.

Ignatius07
11-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Duke and its affinity for drawing charges - I agree - has helped fuel the hatred. And I can definitely see King trying to draw charges often to compensate for his relative lack of athleticism. As you point out, being demonstrative is a big factor in being hated. King certainly seems like he will join guys like Dahntay Jones in that sense. I don't see Scheyer as particularly demonstrative, but I think the fact that he looks so normal - so skinny and young-looking - is a big factor for the hatred for Jon.

mapei
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
I think it will be King. He has that "tough-white-guy" look that might as well include a big bull's eye. And I find it interesting that the most-hated label didn't stick to Greg the way many predicted.

Scheyer . . . I don't know . . . I think the fact that he comes across as a nice guy will make the feelings about him more mixed.

Lord Ash
11-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I think it didn't stick to Greg because he didnt have a great year last year.

Among the Carolwhina fans, obviously Gerald is much hated. MUCH hated. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if King is...

johnb
11-18-2007, 06:46 PM
To be really hated, we need to be a top team--think how hated Collins would have been if he'd played for the '99 team (of course, he wouldn't have played much on the '99 team).

heath_harshman4
11-18-2007, 08:21 PM
well, to be hated, i think you kind of have to embrace it. JJ certainly did, and I think King is well on his way. You kind of have to be a little cocky but still good enough to back it up. with that recipe you have the perfect making for a hated player.

dukestheheat
11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Singler.

He's precocious, confident, fearless. Deadly.

He's the next hated Duke player because he's just got the package and will help our team climb back UP and continue to get the exposure and the prima donna love of ESPN.

dth.

gep
11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Singler.

He's the next hated Duke player because he's just got the package and will help our team climb back UP and continue to get the exposure and the prima donna love of ESPN.

dth.

As you say, it may correlate with the attention that ESPN gives... Shane for his taking charges... JJ for his shooting... I'm not sure of others, though...:rolleyes:

heath_harshman4
11-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Singler.

dth.

but to be hated i think there has to be that sort of longevity with Duke. I dont know if Singler will be here for that long.

cforconservative
11-19-2007, 08:17 AM
It's Gerald Henderson and it's not even close.

merry
11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
To be really hated, we need to be a top team--think how hated Collins would have been if he'd played for the '99 team (of course, he wouldn't have played much on the '99 team).

Collins was plenty hated anyway, in his day.

Bluedawg
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
King

Classof06
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
I'd say King as well. I want to say Singler, but he seems too quiet, or a better word would be focused, to ever antagonize a crowd in order to be hated. If you look at all the hated Dukies, they were all 1) White (it is what it is) and 2) Very animated with lots of body language. King seems to have that swagger about himself, which I personally love but understand how much it stokes the flames.

I think Henderson will forever be reviled by UNC fans because of the elbow, but Henderson won't be hated on a national level for that. Any non-biased, realistic observer (which obviously eliminates all UNC fans) can see that Henderson isn't a dirty player. Laettner did things you would never see from Gerald. That being said, UNC fans will also come to hate Henderson because I believe Gerald will cause them quite a bit of heartache before his Duke days are done :D.

mapei
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
It's Gerald Henderson and it's not even close.

Only by Carolina. Not nationally.

Mudge
01-16-2008, 01:37 AM
It won't be Paulus, it'll be King.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 01:48 AM

ooohhh, good call.

paulus wont be good enough to be "hated"

SeattleIrish
01-16-2008, 02:31 AM
ooohhh, good call.

paulus wont be good enough to be "hated"

Wojo was hated (and his NDPY award was much contested).

Christianson was hated (and he didn't even start).

Melchioni was hated (and he was a walk-on!).

and Greg will be plenty good enough to be hated, imo.

s.i.

p.s. - And, yes, they're all white. The only African American player I can remember that was actually "hated" was Dahntay.

crote
01-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Paulus is far and away the current player I see cited the most in "reasons I hate Duke" discussions (although King is probably second). Heck, I've got a friend, otherwise a Duke supporter, who doesn't like Paulus for some reason.

I don't know about y'all, but that just makes me like the guy even more.

Bob Green
01-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Lee was a recruited player not a walk-on. He voluntarily paid his way his Freshman year so Duke could abide by the now defunct 5/8 recruiting rule.

CDu
01-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Wojo was hated (and his NDPY award was much contested).

and Greg will be plenty good enough to be hated, imo.

s.i.

p.s. - And, yes, they're all white. The only African American player I can remember that was actually "hated" was Dahntay.

Dahntay was hated a lot less than another African American player of Duke note: Shane Battier.

Channing
01-16-2008, 08:59 AM
for some reason that I can't figure, JS is very hated.

hondoheel
01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Scheyer isn't hated, but his facial expressions are a source of much amusement.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Scheyer isn't hated, but his facial expressions are a source of much amusement.

As are Hanstravel's eyes!!! ;)

Shammrog
01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Dahntay was hated a lot less than another African American player of Duke note: Shane Battier.

Not exactly - Shane was half-white. I am not sure how this should be accounted for; like, do you pro-rate between each? Or do you somehow do a weighted average? Hmmm...

elvis14
01-16-2008, 09:56 AM

I have to agree with both Mudge and SilkyJ. For the same reasons I am really liking King, others will hate him. The reasons I'm thinking are:

- instant offense and the ability to rain threes
- facial expressions that are just hilarious to me
- the way he plays to the Crazies

That last one is the the thing that'll make him MOST hated. There are guys that start woofing about themselves every time they do something (think J Dudley from BC) but with King it's not about him it's about including the crowd and it's just that much more fun to watch.

hondoheel
01-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Let me know when Tyler's eyes rate a thread like this one:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=23346&sto=pagestart#s=174&f=2580&t=23346

:D

johnb
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Before anyone is going to be really hated, we need to win another championship.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=23346&sto=pagestart#s=174&f=2580&t=23346

We just to tend to spend our time focusing on basketball, rather than facial expressions. Are Hanstravels eyes big, buggy, and funny..........YES. Am I going to take the time to sit down and make a powerpoint slide show of his facial expressions or a home made video to put on YouTube..........NO. Sorry, I guess my job, family, and life in general take up too much time for me to participate in such nonsense.

Carlos
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM

Using Maryland fans' reactions to Duke isn't exactly the best measuring stick around.

BTW - one more reason that King will be hated is because he's going to be here 4 years.

devildeac
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Consider the source-maryland board-ya gotta be kidding me on credibility there and even then, there are a bunch of deleted posts. I can't imagine they would censor anything there considering their recent history of profanity and personal sexual insults, so the deleted stuff must have been WAAYY over the line.(Oh, did I forget to mention the hurling of foreign objects?)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM

The only thing I don't like about Hansblahblah is that he plays for carolina. I think his interviews are a riot, and you can't question the game he brings to the court and the results he gets. I do wish he was called for more travels and fouls, but that's not relevant.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
The only thing I don't like about Hansblahblah is that he plays for carolina. I think his interviews are a riot, and you can't question the game he brings to the court and the results he gets. I do wish he was called for more travels and fouls, but that's not relevant.

I have nothing against Hanstravel, except the reasons you mentioned. Which was kind of my point. I don't spend time making fun of opposing players, but rather concentrating on how Duke could beat them. Which proves that people who can sit around and make a video of Jon's facial expressions have way too much time on their hands. :)

allenmurray
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Paulus is far and away the current player I see cited the most in "reasons I hate Duke" discussions (although King is probably second). Heck, I've got a friend, otherwise a Duke supporter, who doesn't like Paulus for some reason.

I've posted this before, but . . . My family was out to eat at a local Durham pizza place and we spotted Paulus. My (then) 12 year old son went over to say hello - Greg engaged him in conversation, talked about Duke basketball, talked about how Sam's rec league team was doing, asked Sam what position, he played, etc. Greg's parents were with him and they finally had to let him know it was time to go. He seemed to be enjoying the contact with a 12 year old fan as much (if not more) than Sam did.

We then saw him again about 6 months later. Sam kind of made eye contact and said "Hi." Nothing more. Greg came over and said, "I'm sorry I've forgotten you name, but I remember we talked at Cinelli's. How are you doing".

In short Greg is one of the most humble, personable, approachable and generally "nicest" Duke players I've ever run into. The only way anyone could "hate" him is if they never met him.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I've posted this before, but . . . My family was out to eat at a local Durham pizza place and we spotted Paulus. My (then) 12 year old son went over to say hello - Greg engaged him in conversation, talked about Duke basketball, talked about how Sam's rec league team was doing, asked Sam what position, he played, etc. Greg's parents were with him and they finally had to let him know it was time to go. He seemed to be enjoying the contact with a 12 year old fan as much (if not more) than Sam did.

We then saw him again about 6 months later. Sam kind of made eye contact and said "Hi." Nothing more. Greg came over and said, "I'm sorry I've forgotten you name, but I remember we talked at Cinelli's. How are you doing".

In short Greg is one of the most humble, personable, approachable and generally "nicest" Duke players I've ever run into. The only way anyone could "hate" him is if they never met him.

I got dragged to a Carolina football game this year with my Brother-in-law and I saw Paulus on Franklin Street. I told him I was a Duke fan and I talked with him for about 5 minutes or so. He was with a girl, (who I was assuming was his girlfriend) and still took time to talk with me. He told me he was there to see his brother's game, etc. etc. Very nice guy!!!

delfrio
01-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Did I miss something?

watzone
01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
"The King of Pain" Okay, thats my (tm) headline when he drills a three to win a game ... or goes off for thirty.

SeattleIrish
01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Did I miss something?

Well, I certainly messed up the spelling ("Christensen"), and I think Matt did start at least one game. I used to frequent the Inside Carolina board and Matt was certainly hated; most of it had to do with their perspective that he was a goon who "assaulted" a ref and opposing players.

s.i.

hondoheel
01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think there's been a really "hated" Dukie since Dahntay, until last season of course, when it became Henderson. He is the reason for that well known video on Youtube. A lot of fans resented the lack of fouls on S Williams and the offensive flopping of Redick but they weren't dirty.

hondoheel
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
We just to tend to spend our time focusing on basketball, rather than facial expressions. Are Hanstravels eyes big, buggy, and funny..........YES. Am I going to take the time to sit down and make a powerpoint slide show of his facial expressions or a home made video to put on YouTube..........NO. Sorry, I guess my job, family, and life in general take up too much time for me to participate in such nonsense.

If his eyes were that funny, you can bet someone would take the time, and maybe others would respond enough to make it a 34 page thread. As it is, you might see pics comparing Tyler to Beaker, but that's about it.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't think there's been a really "hated" Dukie since Dahntay, until last season of course, when it became Henderson. He is the reason for that well known video on Youtube. A lot of fans resented the lack of fouls on S Williams and the offensive flopping of Redick but they weren't dirty.

I'd have to say you are just flat out wrong there. JJ was absolutely hated in many circles of the country. Maryland fans started chanting "f--- you J-J" on national TV for cryin outloud.

maybe you guys didnt hate him that much. and henderson is not hated around the country, just at ur school. i think perhaps you are extrapolating (definition, in case you dont know the meaning: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extrapolating) the general kerolina attitude to the rest of the country.

CDu
01-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Not exactly - Shane was half-white. I am not sure how this should be accounted for; like, do you pro-rate between each? Or do you somehow do a weighted average? Hmmm...

Technically, African-American doesn't mean you can't have another racial component as well (many African-Americans in fact are half-white). So Shane is still African-American.

CDu
01-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Umm, no offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about opposing fans and Redick. Redick was possibly the most despised Duke player ever (at the very least in an elite group with Laettner, Battier, etc). Fans chanted inappropriate things about his little sister. During a fantastic beatdown of Maryland, their fans chanted "F--- you, JJ". Fans got his cell phone number and called him repeatedly during the nights before games. He received more abuse and venom from opposing fans than any player I can ever remember.

And Henderson is pretty much only hated by Tarheel fans, because of the incident with Hansbrough. Outside of UNC, nobody really cares about Henderson. Also, I'm not sure Dahntay was all that much hated. Certainly not as much as Redick.

wumhenry
01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
It might improve Scheyer's shot at the honors if word gets around that he's Jewish.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Umm, no offense, but you couldn't be more wrong about opposing fans and Redick. Redick was possibly the most despised Duke player ever (at the very least in an elite group with Laettner, Battier, etc). Fans chanted inappropriate things about his little sister. During a fantastic beatdown of Maryland, their fans chanted "F--- you, JJ". Fans got his cell phone number and called him repeatedly during the nights before games. He received more abuse and venom from opposing fans than any player I can ever remember.

And Henderson is pretty much only hated by Tarheel fans, because of the incident with Hansbrough. Outside of UNC, nobody really cares about Henderson. Also, I'm not sure Dahntay was all that much hated. Certainly not as much as Redick.

copycat :p

CDu
01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
copycat :p

Oops. That's what I get for replying before reading the whole thread!