PDA

View Full Version : Are the magic for real? And implications for JJ

feldspar
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Wow. Boston earned its first loss of the season at the hands of the Magic, who are now an astounding 9-2.

What does it mean for JJ? I know it's early, but the Magic seem legit so far. But is it because Dwight Howard is carrying them, despite average guard play (meaning JJ still has a shot of getting in the rotation), or are they well-rounded, making it difficult for JJ to crack the lineup since the coaching staff will likely be hesitant to mess up a good thing? I don't watch much NBA so I'm not sure which one it is, or some of both.

From what I understand, Redick's biggest competition is a combination of Bogans, Dooling, and Arroyo. Bogans had a decent night with 10 points and no turnovers, and Arroyo and Dooling had 5 points and 4 points respectively, so it's not like they were the lynchpin or anything.

Jumbo
11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow. Boston earned its first loss of the season at the hands of the Magic, who are now an astounding 9-2.

What does it mean for JJ? I know it's early, but the Magic seem legit so far. But is it because Dwight Howard is carrying them, despite average guard play (meaning JJ still has a shot of getting in the rotation), or are they well-rounded, making it difficult for JJ to crack the lineup since the coaching staff will likely be hesitant to mess up a good thing? I don't watch much NBA so I'm not sure which one it is, or some of both.

From what I understand, Redick's biggest competition is a combination of Bogans, Dooling, and Arroyo. Bogans had a decent night with 10 points and no turnovers, and Arroyo and Dooling had 5 points and 4 points respectively, so it's not like they were the lynchpin or anything.

Orlando is a good team. For real? Depends on what you define as "real." This team isn't close to a threat to win a title, but absolutely can finish in the upper half of the Eastern Conference. Dwight Howard is outstanding, Rashard Lewis was an excellent addition and Hedo Turkoglu really seems to be flourishing in Stan Van Gundy's new system -- which is more open than that of predecessor Brian Hill.

J.J. was going to be a big part of this mix, if you listened to anyone over the summer, or in training camp. Clearly, his injuries stalled his integration into the system. But Bogans is also playing quite well. And, to be honest, if J.J. wants to be a contributor anywhere -- not just in Orlando -- he has to improve. I know some people (well, at least one person in particular) will lament the fact that he's not getting a shot. But he had time to show his skills before he got hurt in the preseason, and he can earn time in practice. J.J. has to work hard an improve to make an impact in the NBA. It's on him -- not his coach, teammates or anyone else.

ugadevil
11-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I would say that the Magic are as legitimate as any other team in the Eastern Conference. Everyone knew that Dwight Howard would continue to emerge as a dominant big man, and he seems to be improving a little bit from the free throw line. He shot 50% tonight from the line against the Celtics, but I think he's been hovering between 60 and 70%, which is a big improvement for him. If he can become consistent at the line and keep his turnovers down, he will be a load in the paint all year.

I agree with Jumbo though about Rashard Lewis and how he is an excellent addition. I'd say that Lewis is one of the best players in the NBA that no one is talking about. He scores the ball so many different ways and he's just a match up problem for most teams. He can score points down low in the post, from offensive rebounds, hit the outside shot, and he's a great foul shooter. If he can stay healthy, he and Howard will keep the Magic in almost any game against another Eastern conference opponent.

Duke79UNLV77
11-19-2007, 08:27 AM
I just don't buy the idea that J.J. is not good enough to "contribute." Maybe, I would, if we hadn't seen so many players who aren't good enough even to make an NBA team do great against the best of the best of the NBA. even jasikevicius torched great nba players. langdon has done very well in international ball. a lot of people i've never heard of have done great. none of these guys scored 27 ppg in major college ball. plus, the greatest strength of j.j. wasn't that he was the best open shooter ever. it was that he could hit off a curl, fading away at sprint speed into the stands, with 2 defenders flying at him, blindfolded, and the opposing crowd shooting blowdarts at him. i also thought that what took him from a 20 ppg scorer to a 27 ppg guy was the development of a sam cassell-like mid-range game with nifty mid-range shots off of dribble moves. sure, he's not going to be all-nba on defense, but he will at least play hard every play 82 games per year. even if bogans got off to a good start, he still ranks in the bottom rung in the league for starting 2-guards. and j.j. still couldnt get on the floor, even before his injury?!

i'm not one who hates everything about the nba, although i would change a number of rules (24-second shot clock, 5 second closely guarded rule, learn what is and what is not a foul) to make the game more team-oriented. some of the young guys are very good and have a great understanding of the game. still, i think it will be more of an indictment of the nba than j.j. if he never gets a shot at consistent, meaningful playing time.

Carlos
11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Except that those players who aren't good enough to make an NBA team aren't torching the NBA players in NBA games. International basketball is a different animal than NBA basketball. Look at your example of Jasikevicius who played well against the US in international competition but when he made it to the league was a 7 ppg guy who was waived this season. Likewise, Langdon's international success doesn't mean anything as it relates to JJ's ability to contribute in the pros.

As for JJ's ability to hit a shot off a curl or his mid-range game, remember that those things were showcased against a lower level of defender. It's one thing to hit that shot when it was Marcus Ginyard defending you, another when it's Bruce Bowen.

I'm not down on JJ at all but I agree with Jumbo in that he needs to improve - defense, ball handling, and rebounding all jump to mind - if he wants to be a good NBA player.

Indoor66
11-19-2007, 09:37 AM
I would say that the Magic are as legitimate as any other team in the Eastern Conference. Everyone knew that Dwight Howard would continue to emerge as a dominant big man, and he seems to be improving a little bit from the free throw line. He shot 50% tonight from the line against the Celtics, but I think he's been hovering between 60 and 70%, which is a big improvement for him. If he can become consistent at the line and keep his turnovers down, he will be a load in the paint all year.

I agree with Jumbo though about Rashard Lewis and how he is an excellent addition. I'd say that Lewis is one of the best players in the NBA that no one is talking about. He scores the ball so many different ways and he's just a match up problem for most teams. He can score points down low in the post, from offensive rebounds, hit the outside shot, and he's a great foul shooter. If he can stay healthy, he and Howard will keep the Magic in almost any game against another Eastern conference opponent.

You know, I thought Howard would be better. It must be the influence of that USA Team coaching with Wojo working with the Bigs. :rolleyes:

_Gary
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I know some people (well, at least one person in particular) will lament the fact that he's not getting a shot.

Hmmm. Who could Jumbo be referring to? :p :)

If I am the person he was referring to, I'd humbly suggest that this is a case of jumping the gun based on past discussions we've had about other NBA Dukies (Dunleavy in particular). In Mike's case, I was right and you were wrong. I said from the get go that he wasn't getting a fair shake in GS and that the coach did him wrong in his very first NBA game. I said Dunleavy would need a change of scenery to succeed, and that's exactly what happened. Now I'm not saying Mike is going to be an All-Star, but I don't think I ever claimed that to begin with. I simply said GS, because of it's coach at the time and because of the mix of other players that I felt didn't work well with Mike, would not be the place for him. And again, I feel I was correct in that assessment.

But since I said that about Mike, I'm concerned that now I'm being accused of saying the same about JJ. But I'm not saying that JJ needs a change of scenery specifically because of Van Gundy. JJ did have his shot, and while I thought he played well enough to merit minutes, a number of things have conspired against him - things basically out of his control - and now he's probably no better than the 10th guy on that team. Part of it was injuries. No question. Part of it is that other guys started playing out of their head during pre-season and into early season and that took minutes from JJ (Bogans). Part of it is that JJ isn't nearly the on the ball defender that other players at his position are (Bogans and Dooling). And a part of it, if we are to be honest, is that Van Gundy is a defensive minded coach and JJ just flat out isn't going to flourish in that type of environment.

For instance, does anyone doubt for one second that had Donovan not taken off back to UF that JJ would have been in a better system to suit his talents? I don't. There's no question that JJ can play in the league, but he needs to be in the right scheme, and I honestly don't think at this point that Orlando is going to be the place. I really believe he's going to have a tough time, this year, ever getting a shot at 20 minutes a game. Not unless injuries come into play. It's just one of those things. It's not his fault 100%, IMHO. And it's not the coach's fault 100%, IMHO. A part of it is on JJ for not defending as well as the others. No doubt. But it's not all his fault. Some of it is just unfortunate circumstances.

I do believe some players do well in certain systems and under certain coaches when they wouldn't under other coaches. Take Chris Duhon as an example of the opposite of Mike Dunleavy. Chris was actually very fortunate to have been drafted by the Bulls, IMHO. He has certain skills that are very valued by his coach that probably wouldn't have been as valued by other coaches. Skiles loves to get down and dirty and have guys that will play smart. And that's a strength of Chris's. I'm not sure Duhon would even be in the league right now if he had been drafted by another team. But he hit the perfect situation for him. No doubt about that. So it does matter who your coach is, and what situation you find yourself in. It's not exclusively about how good you are. It's also about the system. Sometimes you get into a good place, for you. And sometimes you get into a bad place, for you.

Overall I do agree with Jumbo that this is mostly on JJ. I just don't think it's 100% on him. And I do think that it would have been better for him if a guy like Donovan would have come in instead of a defensive-minded guy like Van Gundy. On top of that no one could have predicted that Bogans would be channeling Larry Bird early in the season and knocking JJ out so badly. That was just an unfortunate situation. And sometimes that's just all it's about. Situations.

Gary

Duke79UNLV77
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Except that those players who aren't good enough to make an NBA team aren't torching the NBA players in NBA games.

i think part of this is a self-fulfilling prophesy based on how the nba utilizes the players. not all aspects of someone's game will be on display is his role is, "you stand over here away from the action while our stars play a 2-man iso game. if all else fails, you may get a few bail-out shots a game. be ready."

Jumbo
11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
And a part of it, if we are to be honest, is that Van Gundy is a defensive minded coach and JJ just flat out isn't going to flourish in that type of environment.

This label is unfair. Stan Van Gundy isn't Mike D'Antoni, but he's definitely not his brother, either. Becuase he worked for Pat Riley and is related to Jeff, I guess he gets lumped into their style, but that's not Stan's M.O. Orlando is 7th in the league in scoring. If "Van Gundy" simply were a "defensive-minded" coach, he would not be starting Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu up front, both of whom are sub-par defenders. He'd have some bruiser playing PF and Turkoglu coming off the bench. Van Gundy wants to score, and he had plans to utilize J.J.

_Gary
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
This label is unfair. Stan Van Gundy isn't Mike D'Antoni, but he's definitely not his brother, either. Becuase he worked for Pat Riley and is related to Jeff, I guess he gets lumped into their style, but that's not Stan's M.O. Orlando is 7th in the league in scoring. If "Van Gundy" simply were a "defensive-minded" coach, he would not be starting Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu up front, both of whom are sub-par defenders. He'd have some bruiser playing PF and Turkoglu coming off the bench. Van Gundy wants to score, and he had plans to utilize J.J.

I'm not saying he's ONLY a defensive-minded coach. I realize he wants to score. Watching the Magic this year makes that point obvious. I did not intend to imply that he's only a defensive coach. But he does like to have some lock-down type guys, as best I can tell. Let's put it this way. He's not a Pat Riley, but he's also not a Mike D'Antoni, as you said. And that was my original point. I think JJ would have a better shot if he were under a D'Antoni or even a Donovan.

Carlos
11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
This label is unfair. Stan Van Gundy isn't Mike D'Antoni, but he's definitely not his brother, either.

No, he's Ron Jeremy.

Troublemaker
11-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm familiar with Van Gundy from his stint with Miami, and I would have to say he's an offensive-minded coach. Obviously, all coaches want to score AND defend, but if there is a scale, SVG leans towards the offensive side. He started Damon Jones at PG and the only thing Damon Jones can do is catch-and-shoot. There is no bias against JJ. He projected to be an off-the-bench shooter in the NBA and that's what he'll be if he gets healthy. The back spasms are the biggest issue for his career right now.

_Gary
11-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm familiar with Van Gundy from his stint with Miami, and I would have to say he's an offensive-minded coach. Obviously, all coaches want to score AND defend, but if there is a scale, SVG leans towards the offensive side. He started Damon Jones at PG and the only thing Damon Jones can do is catch-and-shoot. There is no bias against JJ. He projected to be an off-the-bench shooter in the NBA and that's what he'll be if he gets healthy. The back spasms are the biggest issue for his career right now.

I disagree on both counts. I think if the scales tip one way or the other, they tip toward the defensive side of the ball. Not by a large margin, but they do tip in that direction, IMHO. I also disagree that JJ is riding the pine solely because of his back. He didn't have the back problems at the start of the season, unless he was clamming up completely. At the beginning of the year, he was dressed out and surely thought he'd get some minutes. But it didn't work out that way. I still say, even with him healthy, he's the tenth guy on Van Gundy's list right now. He is behind both Bogans and Dooling at the 2. How he can get 20 minutes a night being in that position is beyond me. Someone will have to get hurt or traded, or have their game go to crap, for JJ to move up at this point. Either that, or JJ will have to make some type of quantum leap in his defensive play that heretofore hasn't been hinted at.

Having said all that, I still believe JJ can be a 20 minute a night guy. I'm just not sure Orlando is going to be the place.

Jumbo
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I think if the scales tip one way or the other, they tip toward the defensive side of the ball.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that. I've seen Orlando a bunch this year, and the team seems to be clearly more geared toward offensive success. And Troublemaker's example of Damon Jones with Miami was an excellent one.

I also disagree that JJ is riding the pine solely because of his back. He didn't have the back problems at the start of the season, unless he was clamming up completely.

He started several games in the preseason, and SVG made it clear that he wanted J.J. to become an important contributor. So, I don't see how it's possible to say he didn't get an opportunity. You complained about Brian Hill last year. This year, it's SVG. How many coaches will he have to go through before the emphasis is placed on J.J. to change his career?

Having said all that, I still believe JJ can be a 20 minute a night guy. I'm just not sure Orlando is going to be the place.

I think he can be more than a 20-minute a night guy, if he gets his attitude right and continues to work. Some people around the the league are not thrilled with J.J.'s 'tude -- he needs to stop carrying himself like a star and start scrapping for whatever he can get.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Both JJ and Shelden were great college players. But like so many others who were stars in college, it may be that neither of them has the skills and talent needed to succeed in the NBA. It's certainly possible that hard work during the season and during the off-season will allow JJ and Shelden to become successful in the NBA, although it's unlikely that either will be a star.

NBA basketball is different from college hoops. Many stars in college have a difficult time playing NBA ball, while many others who were not top players in college develop into better NBA players. It happens.

JJ and Shelden were among the best Duke players ever. But it appears that those were their glory days. At least they'll have received the big NBA paychecks for a few years before moving on with their lives.

Jumbo
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Both JJ and Shelden were great college players. But like so many others who were stars in college, it may be that neither of them has the skills and talent needed to succeed in the NBA. It's certainly possible that hard work during the season and during the off-season will allow JJ and Shelden to become successful in the NBA, although it's unlikely that either will be a star.

NBA basketball is different from college hoops. Many stars in college have a difficult time playing NBA ball, while many others who were not top players in college develop into better NBA players. It happens.

JJ and Shelden were among the best Duke players ever. But it appears that those were their glory days. At least they'll have received the big NBA paychecks for a few years before moving on with their lives.

I'm glad someone brought up Shelden. To me, if there's a guy who needs a change of scenery, he's the one. He's in a terrible system for him. With another team, there's no reason why he couldn't do what Udonis Haslem, say, produces for the Heat. He's be a great guy to play next to Yao Ming, for instance. He's fit in nicely with the Celtics, who need role players around their big three guys. Don't write off Shelden just yet.

Jfrosh
11-19-2007, 02:22 PM
JJ's early season injury was unfortunate. He played really well in the summer league and was doing well in the preseason. As was stated before Bogans and Dooling are both playing above their normal level, which makes it hard for VanGundy to sit those guys. But make no mistake VanGundy loves the 3 pt shot, it is a key part of his offense. With that you have to think JJ gets back into the rotation.

mike88
11-19-2007, 02:33 PM
One other factor to consider in why JJ is going to have trouble cracking the line-up in Orlando is that their other key players have skills that are not well complemented by JJ. JJ could bring good outside shooting, but right now the combination of Lewis and Turkgolu (not to mention Bogans) are shooting 3's very well; in addition, Jameer Nelson is a small guard, and it will be hard defensively to have him and JJ on the court at the same time.

JJ could get playing time with the second unit, though, if the Magic trade the expiring contracts of either Keyon Dooling or Carlos Arroyo (+/- Pat Garrity) to bring in another big body. Of course, it is also possible that JJ could get traded as part of such a deal. I think he would do better paired with a big, defensive -mnded point guard.

jzp5079
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I think you are right when you said you knew its early. Lewis is shooting an incredibly good percentage so far from 3 land... Will he be able to keep that up? With him and Turk in there it really opens things up for Howard to go 1 on 1.

Still it is early - Jameer is still extremely inconsistant - and they don't have an established quality 2 man.

JJ to the rescue...

But it will be dangerous if he does take that 2 spot... I need to see that the Magic can survive when they arn't hitting the J.

_Gary
11-19-2007, 03:23 PM
You seem to be the only one who thinks that. I've seen Orlando a bunch this year, and the team seems to be clearly more geared toward offensive success. And Troublemaker's example of Damon Jones with Miami was an excellent one.

If I'm the only one who thinks that, so be it. Stan definitely talked about JJ's defense being the problem in preseason. He also emphasized Bogan's defense, not his offense, in preseason. So I'll stick to my guns and say that Van Gundy tips toward the defensive end. Just because I feel he leans that way doesn't negate the fact that I also see he's interested in offense.

He started several games in the preseason, and SVG made it clear that he wanted J.J. to become an important contributor. So, I don't see how it's possible to say he didn't get an opportunity. You complained about Brian Hill last year. This year, it's SVG. How many coaches will he have to go through before the emphasis is placed on J.J. to change his career?

Now you are arguing straw men. Where in my quote did I say all the blame was on Stan? Nowhere. In fact I said the contrary. I said JJ was at fault, just not completely at fault. On top of that, if you can't see that JJ got a raw deal last year under Brian Hill, while everyone else on the planet agrees he was a horrible coach who definitely didn't give JJ a fair shake, then I'm really wondering about your credentials.

I think he can be more than a 20-minute a night guy, if he gets his attitude right and continues to work. Some people around the the league are not thrilled with J.J.'s 'tude -- he needs to stop carrying himself like a star and start scrapping for whatever he can get.

I'm using 20 minutes per because that was brought up in the other thread when we were talking about him. Either you or Jason talked about that amount of time, so I only used that as an example. And yea, I can see JJ is disgusted and I'm sure some people would complain about his attitude. But I think there is some justification for this. But whatever.

And yea, I think Shelden could benefit from a better system too. Just because I didn't mention him before doesn't mean I think he's getting a great deal there in Atlanta.

TheGodfather
11-19-2007, 07:00 PM
If I'm the only one who thinks that, so be it.Definitely not the only one who sees Stan Van as leaning more toward defense.

Quote from SVG when asked in training camp who had the best shot at the SG spot:
"They better all be defensive-minded," Van Gundy said. "They better take on a defensive disposition."

That Heat team with Damon Jones is a good sign of hope but the other guard was D-Wade who brings a lot of D, plus you had Eddie Jones and Haslem with Shaq in the center. Even with Jones as a weakness that's a strong defensive squad. This Orlando team can't hide a player defensively the way that club could.

As for starting Turk and Shard at the same time as a sign SVG has become more offensive minded; SVG wasn't exactly left with many choices there. Battie got hurt and is done for the season. Foyle is really the only other bruiser the Magic have and someone has to spell D12. I believe Tony would start over Turk with Shard moving to the 3 if he were available. Certainly in situations like yesterdays game where D12 is taking so much abuse from the Celts bruisers. I'm waiting for Patrick Ewing to activate himself.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone would be better off if they weren't on the Hawks' roster. That goes w/o saying. Cept I jus said it.

_Gary
11-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Definitely not the only one who sees Stan Van as leaning more toward defense.

Quote from SVG when asked in training camp who had the best shot at the SG spot:
"They better all be defensive-minded," Van Gundy said. "They better take on a defensive disposition."

That Heat team with Damon Jones is a good sign of hope but the other guard was D-Wade who brings a lot of D, plus you had Eddie Jones and Haslem with Shaq in the center. Even with Jones as a weakness that's a strong defensive squad. This Orlando team can't hide a player defensively the way that club could.

As for starting Turk and Shard at the same time as a sign SVG has become more offensive minded; SVG wasn't exactly left with many choices there. Battie got hurt and is done for the season. Foyle is really the only other bruiser the Magic have and someone has to spell D12. I believe Tony would start over Turk with Shard moving to the 3 if he were available. Certainly in situations like yesterdays game where D12 is taking so much abuse from the Celts bruisers. I'm waiting for Patrick Ewing to activate himself.

Thanks. I knew I had either heard or read Van Gundy on multiple occasions in the preseason discussing the need for defense at the 2. So I appreciate you finding a link and backing me up.

I didn't follow the Heat all that much so I was hesitant to challenge the assertion of others here that Van Gundy demonstrated his offensive-mindedness (as opposed to defensive) by starting Jones in Miami. I felt like that was a bit of a reach on other peoples parts, but you said it nicely. So again I say thanks.

I still believe JJ is on the outside looking in because there are so many guys that can play the 2 right now in Orlando. Not only is there Bogans and Dooling, but if necessary Stan could match up Lewis or Ariza on bigger shooting guards defensively. So there are just too many guys in front of JJ on the defensive end of things right now. Add to that the incredible shooting from Lewis and others from the outside thus far in the season and it makes JJ very expendable.

We all knew Bogans would start to cool off from outside, but that's not the only thing standing in the way of JJ playing more. If it were, I never would have been concerned to begin with. The bigger issues are that too many other guys can play his spot defensively - and - too many other guys are lighting it up from the outside. Therefore I'll stick to my guns and say that JJ isn't going to get much, if any, playing time in the foreseeable future while in Orlando. The only thing that can change this scenario is an injury. Or possibly a trade where multiple guys from this group (Bogans, Dooling, Ariza, and Arroyo) leave the Magic. If one of those two things don't happen, I just can't see JJ getting significant minutes this year.

Gary

ugadevil
11-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Anyone would be better off if they weren't on the Hawks' roster. That goes w/o saying. Cept I jus said it.

Hawks are gonna' make the playoffs. I have no evidence or confidence in that statement. Just want to say it. :)

Troublemaker
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
How was the Damon Jones example a reach? I'd like to hear an explanation for that thought. He is a horrid defender. He adds nothing to an NBA team except for the ability to hit open shots off a double-team. Not many coaches in the league would start him at PG, and the fact that SVG did during a season when he had a championship contender tells me something. At the very least, he's someone that would appreciate JJ's skillset. That team, the 2005 Heat, are a great example of SVG's offensive-mindedness. They were were a powerhouse offensively. I remember following that team pretty closely specifically because they were enjoyable to watch on offense and played off of Wade's skillset so well. In John Hollinger's offensive efficiency statistics on a per-possession basis, I remember them being the second-best team in the league only behind the Suns. In defensive efficiency, they were lower for sure but I can't remember exactly where and Hollinger's material is ESPN insider. Damon Jones, as mentioned, is/was a horrible defender. Wade played the passing lanes well, Eddie Jones was a good perimeter defender, Haslem was okay but limited by the fact that he's only 6'8", and Shaq has been horrible on defense for years now because he can't play the pick-and-roll. By no means did they add up to a powerhouse on defense the way they were on offense. But it's not like anyone was going to take Shaq and Wade out of the lineup regardless. I don't consider this definitive proof of anything, but it's my impression that SVG is an offensive guy from following his stint in Miami pretty closely. And Damon Jones is a catch-and-shoot guy just like JJ that started for him.

FYI, I believe had Wade not gotten hurt against the Pistons that year, they would've won the crown with a better team than the one they had the following year that beat the Mavs.

phaedrus
11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
The only thing that can change this scenario is an injury. Or possibly a trade where multiple guys from this group (Bogans, Dooling, Ariza, and Arroyo) leave the Magic. If one of those two things don't happen, I just can't see JJ getting significant minutes this year.

Gary

Keep wishing for trades, Gary.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/11/20/lakers.magic.trade.ap/index.html

YmoBeThere
11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Even with Jones as a weakness that's a strong defensive squad.

Your characterization of Jones as a defensive weakness is grossly misplaced in my opinion. While definitely older by the time you note he did make the NBA All Defensive Second Team three years running. This was around the turn of the millenium...

http://www.nba.com/history/awards_defensiveteams.html

TheGodfather
11-21-2007, 01:18 AM
How was the Damon Jones example a reach? I'd like to hear an explanation for that thought. He is a horrid defender. He adds nothing to an NBA team except for the ability to hit open shots off a double-team. Not many coaches in the league would start him at PG, and the fact that SVG did during a season when he had a championship contender tells me something. At the very least, he's someone that would appreciate JJ's skillset. That team, the 2005 Heat, are a great example of SVG's offensive-mindedness. They were were a powerhouse offensively. As good as that Heat team was offensively they matched it defensively. Even with such a glaring defensive weakness as Damon Jones. Opposing teams shot better against the Pistons than they did against the Heat that year. And the Heat held their opponents to the same shooting percentage as the champion Spurs.

What the 2004-05 Miami Heat team tells me is that if SVG has a defensive squad so strong that even with a wound at one of the guard spots they can be mentioned as being equal to or better than the Pistons or Spurs then SVG will gamble on an offensive only player. So yes, it gives hope that SVG once started a player with similar attributes to JJ but until he brings Jameer, Turk, and Shard to the level of D played by D-Wade, Eddie Jones and Udonis Haslem it is only a very, very small hope.
Your characterization of Jones as a defensive weakness is grossly misplaced in my opinion.Sorry, that's my poor writing at fault. I was referring to streetball legend Damon Jones who himself is generally "grossly misplaced" on the defensive end of the court.

JBDuke
11-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Keep wishing for trades, Gary.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/11/20/lakers.magic.trade.ap/index.html

I'm trying to figure out how this will impact JJ. Ariza being gone doesn't do much directly, as he was a small forward, but he was the principle backup to Turkoglu. The Magic can shift Lewis over to play some small forward, especially with Cook to help more at the 4 spot. Or, in what may help JJ, they can play Bogans more at the 3. And I just don't have a good feel for Evans. Will the Magic keep him on the roster, or waive him? If they keep him, does he take minutes from JJ?

phaedrus
11-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Good question. In any case I think Evans is a downgrade from Ariza and won't take a lot of minutes (although Ariza wasn't playing much anyway).

_Gary
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Short hiatus, I know. But I just have to talk about what's happening with JJ now. The Orlando Sentinel ran an article the other day and actually quoted JJ as wondering whether or not he should ask to be demoted to the D-League just so he could get some playing time. Serious! He has actually contemplated asking to be sent to the D-League. And it's not that he feels he can't play and needs the practice in an inferior league. It's that he feels he's not going to get the opportunity to do anything in Orlando.

Along these same lines, I've watched his demeanor as much as the TV games will have let me. At the beginning of the year he would sit right beside the assistant coaches and show plenty of interest in the games and the huddles. Now he is sitting all the way on the other end of the bench, pretty much by himself. As the latest game was nearing the end the crowd was chanting his name but SVG didn't even look his way. Not a good sign at all. I'll be shocked if JJ is with this team much longer. The change of scenery some of us have been asking for (and apparently JJ has thought about) seems to be coming. Hope it bodes well for him.

Gary

_Gary
11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
In case anyone hasn't heard, Dooling has the flu and SVG has said JJ will probably be in the rotation tonight when the Magic play. Here's a portion quoted from Van Gundy concerning JJ. I find it very interesting:

"J.J. is ready to play. He doesn’t like it all, and I’m glad that he doesn’t, but he understands. Going into the first game of the year, I had no idea how I was going to rotate the (shooting guards). In the first game, (Keith) Bogans got in foul trouble and because Michael Redd was still on the floor I went with Dooling. And now we’re 12-3 and it sort of spiraled for J.J. We haven’t had offensive problems too often and I know that’s where J.J. can really help us. I have no problems with the way J.J. has played defensively, but I think the other guys (such as Bogans, Dooling and Evans) are the ones I’d play ahead of him in defensive situations."

In other words, JJ's about to be traded. Ok, just kidding (kinda). I have no idea, although the cynical part of me really does believe this is just coach/organizational "talk up" to get more value for JJ in a trade. But we will see.

Gary

SilkyJ
11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
jj finally hit a shot tonight. he played 12 minutes, most of the season by far, and finally scored, finishing with 12pts. 4-5 from the field, 2-2 from deep. he was 0-4 on the season before this game (which is in the 4th quarter, btw)

i think he'll get there...

wisteria
11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
jj finally hit a shot tonight. he played 12 minutes, most of the season by far, and finally scored, finishing with 12pts. 4-5 from the field, 2-2 from deep. he was 0-4 on the season before this game (which is in the 4th quarter, btw)

I sense that JJ won't be with Orlando for too long. Showcasing a rarely used player for a period of time before trading is likely what is going on now.

But either way, it's good for JJ. either crack the rotation, or get traded where he can be appreciated and developed.

pfrduke
11-29-2007, 02:14 AM

I went to the Sonics-Magic game tonight. JJ looked like his JJ self on offense - his stroke from 3 was smooth, he was aggressive putting the ball onto the floor and getting into the lane. But he is slooooow on defense. He was guarding Wally Szczerbiak and Damien Wilkins, not two of the quickest guys in the league, and he could barely chase them around the court. Still, it was a pleasant surprise to see him out there and to see him effective.

TampaDuke
11-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I sense that JJ won't be with Orlando for too long. Showcasing a rarely used player for a period of time before trading is likely what is going on now.

But either way, it's good for JJ. either crack the rotation, or get traded where he can be appreciated and developed.

Also, Keyon Dooling had the flu.

NW Indiana Dukie
11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
JJ finally played some last night and was pretty productive.

17min 4-5 for the field 2-2 for 3 11 pts.

Maybe this will lead to a little more PT.:)

Channing
11-29-2007, 10:33 AM
wow - talk about seizing an opportunity.

clmgd30
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
All that and he doesn't even get in the highlight reels. Take away his production and thats only a 5-point win last night.

http://contractyear.blogspot.com/