PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cameron Crazies Chants

Flyers52
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I was just wondering, for fun, what are some of your all-time favorite chants from the Cameron Crazies??

dukeENG2003
11-18-2007, 06:47 PM
without a doubt:

"Go to hell Billy Packer got to hell (clap clap)"

It was so loud, you could VERY clearly hear it on TV. This was the same year as Billy's "since when did they let women determine who gets into basketball games", he deserved it, without a doubt.

A close second:

Ra-sheed (clap clap) Can't read (clap clap, repeat)

blazindw
11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
(Crowd points at Duhon's little brother): Lit-tle Du-hon! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

(Crowd points at Boozer's little brother): Lit-tle Boo-zer! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

(Crowd points at Avery Queen, 5'1" Michigan guard): LIT-TLE POINT GUARD! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

FreezingDevil
11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
"Sweat, Gary, Sweat!"

Works like a charm

OZZIE4DUKE
11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Favorite cheer: In Hale! Ex Hale!

Favorite sign in Cameron: Pilot Life Sucks

Second favorite sign: March Madness Makes Me Hot (and the blond that was holding it, too! I have the picture saved, but have no way of posting it here.)

heath_harshman4
11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
ANNOUNCER: Now introducing #5 Tywon Lawson

CRAZIES: HI TYWON, YOU SUCK

classic...

devildeac
11-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Crazies: (directed at Dick Pooparo after his usual series of bad, out-of-place calls against Duke)-"you suck Dick, you suck Dick.

K: (with microphone in hand)-"stop the you suck Dick cheer"

(several more bad, out-of-place calls later)

Crazies: "you suck (pause) Richard, you suck Richard"

mehmattski
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Following a 20 point drubbing in Cameron in 2004, NC State player Julius Hodge made some ridiculous comment about how the Crazies bother him because "they're smart, got GPA's of 4.3 and they all smell bad." The next game was at home against Wake Forest. Some rather old gentleman somehow had a ticket in the student section opposite the Crazies, wearing his stupid tie-dye Wake shirt. He held a sign that said "4.3"

After the guy waved the sign around for a while and the confused Crazies tried to figure out what it meant, my friend started an instant classic:

While pointing at Wake Weirdo: "Size in inches! (Clap clap, clap-clap-clap)"

Channing
11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
(1) extremely politically incorrect, but pointing at Julius Hodge: "Ten Cents a Day; Ten Cents a Day"

(2) Horvath . . . of the Hiiiillll People

(3) A couple years back there was a chant "lets get hungry" before the game started. It then turned into "Sean May's Hungry"

SilkyJ
11-18-2007, 11:41 PM

classic...

what? how many games have you been to in cameron? 10 bucks says its less than 15.

Crazies: (directed at Dick Pooparo after his usual series of bad, out-of-place calls against Duke)-"you suck Dick, you suck Dick.

never heard about that one. instantly one of my all time favorites.

i loved the sweat gary sweat, and anything making fun of sean may for being fat. including pasha dressed up as him chasing a big mac box on a string in '05

but my all time favorite would have to be "the monster's out of the cage!"

OZZIE4DUKE
11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
(3) A couple years back there was a chant "lets get hungry" before the game started. It then turned into "Sean May's Hungry"

Not to be confused with the cheer for FSU's Big Jelly (Nigel something) "Please don't eat me (clap, clap, clap clap clap)"

classic...

Putting the "you suck" after the introductions is totally classless, and I and so many others are glad that the crazies dropped it years ago. Please don't start again; it shows your ignorance. Leave it to the Maryland fans.

DevilAlumna
11-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Fall of 1994, we opened the season against Brown. That brought out cheers of "U-P-S, U-P-S."

Next game was against a much higher-ranked team, who weren't doing so well, prompting the cheer, "Brown was better (clap clap clap-clap-clap)."

And when Bill Cosby was in the crowd for a game against Temple (he's a proud Owl alum), not only was he a good sport and let the crowd pass him around, but he got saluted with the cheer, "Jell-o pudding (clap clap clap-clap-clap)." :D

hurleyfor3
11-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Next game was against a much higher-ranked team, who weren't doing so well, prompting the cheer, "Brown was better (clap clap clap-clap-clap)."

Florida State. Also, right before tipoff in that game, the band played the Notre Dame fight song, evoking the hyped FSU/ND football game of a few months earlier which ND won.

SharkD
11-19-2007, 02:30 AM
"Start the tractor" (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap) when winning late in the game vs. NC State or other ag. schools

zingit
11-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Last year against UNC: "Ty-ler Hans-brough PAINTS-HIS-TOES!!!" (to the tune of the "J.J. Red-ick Dyn-o-mite" chant).

For those of you who don't know, several guys on the UNC team proudly have admitted in interviews that they get pedicures together. It was priceless. Even the UNC guys were laughing.

Lord Ash
11-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Heh, I remember the Jell-o pudding chant quite well. :D

Channing
11-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I was also a big fan of "J-Wil, J-Wil Rock You <clap-clap>"

dukerev
11-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I really loved Big Jelly from FSU. He was a great sport. Along with "Please don't eat me," the Crazies also yelled "Boom" "Boom" "Boom" every time he took a step as he ran down the court.

Of course, my favorite positive Crazie chant was "Who's Your Daddy? Battier!" My wife and I still chant that for games today.

dukestheheat
11-19-2007, 09:07 AM
a spoof on former Hole JR Reid-

I don't know if anyone remembers that rap song about 'big old, big old butt.....', but, JR Reid certainly had a rather expansive south end back in the day.

Before the game, and player introductions, the Blue Devil comes out with about five (5) pillows stuffed into his posterior and then that rap song comes up loud, blaring over the new speakers in Cameron and he's wiggling that newly expanded butt all over the place.

He goes right down the middle of the court doing the Reid butt wiggle, with the crowd singing the song and Cameron goes crazy; when the lyrics of the song get to naming the people who have a big butt, everyone fills in "JR's got a big ole butt!..... JR's got a big ole butt!.....".

I laughed so hard it hurt. Everytime I hear that song when I'm flippin' the radio, I instantly go back to Cameron. Great memories.

dth.

devildeac
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
I really loved Big Jelly from FSU. He was a great sport. Along with "Please don't eat me," the Crazies also yelled "Boom" "Boom" "Boom" every time he took a step as he ran down the court.

Of course, my favorite positive Crazie chant was "Who's Your Daddy? Battier!" My wife and I still chant that for games today.

I think the Crazies also yelled "hey, hey, hey"(a la Fat Albert, in one of Bill Cosby's old comedy routines) as Nigel Dixon(?) thundered down the court.

mbd1mbd1
11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Fall of 1994, we opened the season against Brown. That brought out cheers of "U-P-S, U-P-S."

I think that was Fall of 1996, and against Lehigh. It was my first game in Cameron, I remember it well.

edit...yeah, Duke opened against Brown in fall 1994. I wasn't at that game though...

wilson
11-19-2007, 10:14 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the greatest cheer in Cameron Crazies history.

DukeDude
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
"If you can't go to college, go to State. clap-clap"

Weks
11-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Ademola Okulaja beats himself!
Ademola Okulaja, Ademola Okulaja,

devildeac
11-19-2007, 11:02 AM
I think that was Fall of 1996, and against Lehigh. It was my first game in Cameron, I remember it well.

edit...yeah, Duke opened against Brown in fall 1994. I wasn't at that game though...

IIRC, it was the classic(cough, cough) brown unis that evoked this response.

devildeac
11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
"Sweat, Gary, Sweat!"

Works like a charm

As a follow up to this(think deodorant here):

Crazies(pointing at K): Sure
Crazies(pointing at sweaty): unSure
(rinse, lather, repeat)

Jfrosh
11-19-2007, 11:20 AM

I forget who got into trouble with the law in the 80's but I remember we followed the above with:
"If you can't go to State, go to Jail. Clap-Clap.

Already mentioned but the "In Hale - Ex Hale" is my all time favorite. I spit out my popcorn.
And of course the all time classic "We beg to differ"

jlear
11-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I forget who got into trouble with the law in the 80's but I remember we followed the above with:

and if you can't go to jail be a ref.

devildeac
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM

I thought it was: if you can't go to jail, go to he!!, followed by, here's your cue, OZZIE...

SilkyJ
11-19-2007, 11:31 AM

if you can't go to college go to state

if you can't go to state go to jail

if you can't go to jail go to hell

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL, ES!

devildeac
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
if you can't go to college go to state

if you can't go to state go to jail

if you can't go to jail go to hell

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL, ES!

Rats, that was OZZIE's clue and you beat him to it.

FreezingDevil
11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
This might not have been the greatest cheer ever, but it was by far one of the most effective...

3 years ago against Michigan State in December. Somehow the Crazies found out that the starting center Paul Davis had just broken up with his girlfriend, a girl named Caroline. The word on the street was that she had cheated on him and he was real torn up about it.

Well, the Crazies showed no mercy on this one. Throughout the game Davis was serenaded with cheers of "Caroline...Caroline...Caroline" Whenever he took a free throw we all cheered "Call her back!" and "She still loves you"

The guy had one of his worst nights of his collegiate career and at one point he looked close to tears. I wont say I feel good about that one, but it worked better than any cheer I have ever heard. Of course, he went on to have a killer game against us in the sweet sixteen in march so go figure. i guess thats just karma

devildeac
11-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Already mentioned but the "In Hale - Ex Hale" is my all time favorite. I spit out my popcorn.
And of course the all time classic "We beg to differ"

You might want to explain to some of our newer members how/when/where that last cheer originated, along with some of the other classic antics from that game...

365Duke
11-19-2007, 12:10 PM
was the "fist"

Coach had said several days earlier that the team needed to play like a fist, instead of 5 individuals. A punch is more dangerous than a slap.

At the senior day game against unc we come from 8-9 points down in the final couple of minutes to get within one basket and K called a timeout. The student section was as quite as I have ever seen. And without any hesitation all raised 1 fist straight up in the air. It was bone chilling. I looked around and the whole upstairs section was doing the same with me. It not only gave me chills, but brought tear filled eyes. This team was in the huddle and did not know what was happening(you could hear a pin drop). A few of the walk-ons looked up from the huddle and then spread the word to the huddle. K looked up and saw it and came back to the huddle more intense than I have ever seen him, and pointed to the crowd for the team to take notice. IT WAS AWESOME! So in short, like the song says "You said it best, when you say nothing at all".

4decadedukie
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Not a cheer, but nevertheless a great, priceless Crazies moment: In the mid-70's, two of NC State's starting five were arrested in Raleigh for shoplifting underwear, which was reported in the News and Observer. That week, Duke and NCSU played; when the two miscreants were introduced, dozens -- maybe hundreds -- of pairs of underwear were thrown onto the court. It was truly hilarious.

Channing
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
This might not have been the greatest cheer ever, but it was by far one of the most effective...

3 years ago against Michigan State in December. Somehow the Crazies found out that the starting center Paul Davis had just broken up with his girlfriend, a girl named Caroline. The word on the street was that she had cheated on him and he was real torn up about it.

Well, the Crazies showed no mercy on this one. Throughout the game Davis was serenaded with cheers of "Caroline...Caroline...Caroline" Whenever he took a free throw we all cheered "Call her back!" and "She still loves you"

The guy had one of his worst nights of his collegiate career and at one point he looked close to tears. I wont say I feel good about that one, but it worked better than any cheer I have ever heard. Of course, he went on to have a killer game against us in the sweet sixteen in march so go figure. i guess thats just karma

Of course - the karma from this one could have come back to bite us at the "Myra Piggie" - UMD - NCM incident.

SilkyJ
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM

sorry...i would post that chant as my away message every gameday while i was in school...

was the "fist"

Coach had said several days earlier that the team needed to play like a fist, instead of 5 individuals. A punch is more dangerous than a slap.

At the senior day game against unc we come from 8-9 points down in the final couple of minutes to get within one basket and K called a timeout. The student section was as quite as I have ever seen. And without any hesitation all raised 1 fist straight up in the air. It was bone chilling. I looked around and the whole upstairs section was doing the same with me. It not only gave me chills, but brought tear filled eyes. This team was in the huddle and did not know what was happening(you could hear a pin drop). A few of the walk-ons looked up from the huddle and then spread the word to the huddle. K looked up and saw it and came back to the huddle more intense than I have ever seen him, and pointed to the crowd for the team to take notice. IT WAS AWESOME! So in short, like the song says "You said it best, when you say nothing at all".

WOW. I am covered in goosebumps right now. I kind of remember the coach K speech where he said that so it makes me think it was sometime between '02'-'06, but I don't recall the crazies doing it so it makes me think it wasn't during my time (do you remember when this was??) But I can't even tell you how amazing that sounds.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
without a doubt:

"Go to hell Billy Packer got to hell (clap clap)"

It was so loud, you could VERY clearly hear it on TV. This was the same year as Billy's "since when did they let women determine who gets into basketball games", he deserved it, without a doubt.

This happened before that as well; on RJ he said something we took offense to in the 1998 @UNC game and we chanted this at the next home game.

blazindw
11-19-2007, 01:49 PM
was the "fist"

I definitely remember that game. It wasn't a chant, but I agree with you..it was one of the most powerful moments I've ever seen.

Weks
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
I kind of remember the coach K speech where he said that so it makes me think it was sometime between '02'-'06, but I don't recall the crazies doing it so it makes me think it wasn't during my time (do you remember when this was??) But I can't even tell you how amazing that sounds.

GrayHare
11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Putting the "you suck" after the introductions is totally classless, and I and so many others are glad that the crazies dropped it years ago. Please don't start again...

Agreed! And just to revisit the history of that subject... An Avuncular Letter (http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/cameron/avuncular.jpg)

jrb3
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
"Abandon Ship!" in the Meadowlands in 1986 when the win over Navy and David Robinson was secured in the regional final.

"Green Shorts!" Not an easy one to explain, but I'm sure some of you where there for the original (as I was). It lived on for several years in various forms.

Lavabe
11-19-2007, 02:18 PM

Does anyone recall: "If you can't drive a bus, be a Terp!"

Or how about: FEHL-WURF!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Section 8
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
The meanest one I remember was in '88 or '89, against ND when they had David Rivers. 45 minutes before the tip, Cameron was filled with only students and one small group of ND fans in the folding chairs, consisting of a guy, his wife and young daughter. The guy stood up, waving around a sign reading "Our Rivers sinks your Ferry," making sure to turn around so everyone could read it. After about three minutes of booing, the students started chanting "ugly wife, ugly wife..." They left and did not return.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM

I was out. Sorry. But thanks to SilkyJ for picking up the slack!

RPS
11-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I've been beaten to the punch on "Abandon Ship" and "Green"..."Shorts." Others include Clyde Austin and the keys (some details here (http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/070804/cyber2.html)), creatively welcoming the USC Trojans, "Nichols is the worst" (toward future NCAA Supervisor of Officials Hank Nichols), and the pizzas delivered to the opposition huddle....

I hadn't heard about the "Rasheed can't read" cheer. I think it's disappointing on a number of levels. It's also ironic since he's widely regarded by experts as among the more intelligent players in the NBA.

merry
11-19-2007, 03:55 PM
"Nichols is the worst" (toward future NCAA Supervisor of Officials Hank Nichols)...

I want to say this was a UNC game, maybe even the 1979 Jim Spanarkel senior night one, but one time right before a game we all chanted "Nichols is the BEST! Nichols is the BEST!" Got a reaction for once too.

Lord Ash
11-19-2007, 03:57 PM
SHEED? One of the most intelligent players in the NBA? A guy who took what, five tries to get a 700, combined, on his SATS? Wow, that is SCARY.

aimo
11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
This happened before that as well; on RJ he said something we took offense to in the 1998 @UNC game and we chanted this at the next home game.

Actually, it happened way back when Brent Musberger was still doing games on CBS. The students were chanting, "Brent! Brent!" He then donned a Duke cap and the students went nuts. He then put the cap on Packer's head, and the students started booing loudly. Then they started chanting, "Go to hell, Billy Packer, go to hell!" Think this was in the 80's.

And whoever said that Rasheed Wallace was considered one of the more intelligent players in the NBA . . . if that's true, then . . . damn! The league is in a sorrier state than I thought!

Channing
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
A cheer I am looking forward to hearing . . . "Fear the Classroom <clap><clap><clapclapclap>"

heath_harshman4
11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Not to be confused with the cheer for FSU's Big Jelly (Nigel something) "Please don't eat me (clap, clap, clap clap clap)"

Putting the "you suck" after the introductions is totally classless, and I and so many others are glad that the crazies dropped it years ago. Please don't start again; it shows your ignorance. Leave it to the Maryland fans.

shows my ignorance? classless? do you think that most of these cheers have "class"? the point of a cheer/jeer isnt to have class. making fun of Paul Davis' personal life or calling a women ugly in front of her husband and child other stuff like that doesnt have class. but i dont see you posting stuff about that.

and the earlier post, no i havent been to a game at CIS, I live on the west coast, but how does that effect how much of a Duke fan or how ignorant of one I am? I heard that chant from a couple of rich buddies (rich i am not) who went to a game a few years ago.

Bluedog
11-19-2007, 09:04 PM
shows my ignorance? classless? do you think that most of these cheers have "class"? the point of a cheer/jeer isnt to have class. making fun of Paul Davis' personal life or calling a women ugly in front of her husband and child other stuff like that doesnt have class. but i dont see you posting stuff about that.

and the earlier post, no i havent been to a game at CIS, I live on the west coast, but how does that effect how much of a Duke fan or how ignorant of one I am? I heard that chant from a couple of rich buddies (rich i am not) who went to a game a few years ago.

I'm sure you just didn't know it, but that cheer has been labeled as arrogant and classless by Coach K and most of the Duke students. It used to be more widespread, but now the vast majority of the student body doesn't do it anymore. There is sometimes a small contingent of fans that do it while other Crazies stare them down begrudgingly. If Maryland fans do it every game, it is clearly something that we should NOT do. It's also cliche and not clever at all - I'm glad we stopped doing it as well. It's also clear you haven't been to CIS when you say that, but that's all right - not everybody gets to be that lucky. No worries! The post didn't diminish how much of a Duke fan you are. I'm sure you're very dedicated.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
The overwhelming majority of this stuff we do is "classless." Whatever.

And w/r/t Rasheed, since when did culturally biased test score = native intelligence?

Mabdul Doobakus
11-19-2007, 09:39 PM
(Crowd points at Duhon's little brother): Lit-tle Du-hon! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

(Crowd points at Boozer's little brother): Lit-tle Boo-zer! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

(Crowd points at Avery Queen, 5'1" Michigan guard): LIT-TLE POINT GUARD! (clap clap, clap-clap-clap repeat)

My favorite as well. Was my second game ever at Cameron, and a great night overall, between going up like 34-2, and the lady forgetting the words to the national anthem and the Crazies chipping in.

Hurley2Hill
11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
One of my all-time favs was before the Orange County Community College (read: unc) game in McCants' last year.

(Crazies point at themselves) "Cameron Crazies"
(point at unc players warming up) "Actual Crazies"

7duke4
11-19-2007, 10:17 PM
This was not technically a chant, but in the 70s (sorry don't remember when), St Josephs came to Cameron (before they were good). Their mascot is an eagle and he flaps his wings the entire game in these long swoops. By the 2nd half, his face was beet red from the Cameron heat, his exertion, and his costume. We started to flap our arms like him and it spread through the whole stadium. It took a few seconds before he realized what was going on, but his expression was, as they say, priceless - and his face got even redder. When he looked up and around, the whole place erupted into cheers and applause. Any time I catch St Joes on TV, I look for the eagle - what a hoot!

dukeENG2003
11-19-2007, 10:51 PM
The overwhelming majority of this stuff we do is "classless." Whatever.

And w/r/t Rasheed, since when did culturally biased test score = native intelligence?

ok. Granted.

Leading the NBA in technical fouls (he's done this at least once I know, I believe twice)=dumb.

I think the burden of proof w/r/t 'sheeds intelligence lies with those saying that he IS smart.

dukemomLA
11-20-2007, 04:14 AM
When opposing players are introduced, I always thought it cool that the Crazies would chant (loudly and in unison) HI JOHN (or whomever). Totally awesome.

Then, when the Crazies added "HI JOHN...YOU SUCK," they blew it (IMO). Let's get back to GREAT creativity without the crashness of other schools.

You current students are the cream of the crop. Smarter than most others on the planet, so....PROVE IT!! Create wonderful spontanious moments that thrill and excite those of us who watch the games on TIVO. Give us something to let us know that the current student population is deserving of the title of CAMERON CRAZIE.

Go for it. For both the Men's Team and the AWESOME women's team (on campus folk--- give THEM some love and support)

aimo
11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
This was not technically a chant, but in the 70s (sorry don't remember when), St Josephs came to Cameron (before they were good). Their mascot is an eagle and he flaps his wings the entire game in these long swoops. By the 2nd half, his face was beet red from the Cameron heat, his exertion, and his costume. We started to flap our arms like him and it spread through the whole stadium. It took a few seconds before he realized what was going on, but his expression was, as they say, priceless - and his face got even redder. When he looked up and around, the whole place erupted into cheers and applause. Any time I catch St Joes on TV, I look for the eagle - what a hoot!

He also molted all over the floor.

DukieInKansas
11-20-2007, 02:17 PM
"Abandon Ship!" in the Meadowlands in 1986 when the win over Navy and David Robinson was secured in the regional final.

"Green Shorts!" Not an easy one to explain, but I'm sure some of you where there for the original (as I was). It lived on for several years in various forms.

I also enjoyed the green shorts cheer. The crowd and the Duke team understood it, after an explanation for the new students/players, but it must have really confused the opposing team.

I often wondered if the Duke players were ever given an explanation of the cheer, since they didn't actually see the kids play at half time.

Devilsfan
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
The crazies know when they cross the line and rarely do. They are too smart to intentionally hurt anyone. It's all in good fun. Besides I don't think any fan knows more about a sport than the 1400+ SATers in Cameron surrounding the court.

Richard Berg
11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Surprised nobody listed the best Nigel Dixon chant of all.

(point at Casey) Casey Sanders!
(point at Nigel) Colonel Sanders!

----

The "fist" game was in February '01. We lost that game to the Holes, but made up for it.

ojaidave
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised "Our House" hasn't come up. Initially, it was a really powerful cheer. I noticed one time at CIS, they were selling a shirt that read "Our House, Our Rules." I really disliked that.

Our House? yes.

Our Rules? nope. We'll beat you with THE rules, we generally don't need the help.

Dave

Bluedog
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised "Our House" hasn't come up. Initially, it was a really powerful cheer. I noticed one time at CIS, they were selling a shirt that read "Our House, Our Rules." I really disliked that.

Our House? yes.

Our Rules? nope. We'll beat you with THE rules, we generally don't need the help.

Dave

"Our House" definitely gets everybody pumped up at a key time and unites the stadium, but I think it has been overused the last couple of years. IMO, it should be used only during a super close game in the closing minutes - then it's a lot more powerful. I've had chills down my spine a couple of those times....It should definitely not be used almost every ACC game as was the case last year....but maybe that's because there were a bunch of close ones.

dukeENG2003
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
agreed

I believe I heard "our house" at the end of the Central game, and it just about made me scream.

PallasAthena
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
...St Josephs came to Cameron (before they were good). Their mascot is an eagle and he flaps his wings the entire game in these long swoops. ... what a hoot!

St. Joseph's University of Philadelphia are the Hawks! And, yes, the mascot flaps from the beginning of the game to the end. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Of course, if it was a "hoot" it would be like my avatar, the wise old owl :D .

I also loved the previously mentioned "we beg to differ," which I think came after a lambasting by K about the trashiness of recent cheers. The Crazies tried to raise the level of discourse.

ojaidave
11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
St. Joseph's University of Philadelphia are the Hawks! And, yes, the mascot flaps from the beginning of the game to the end. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

Of course, if it was a "hoot" it would be like my avatar, the wise old owl :D .

I also loved the previously mentioned "we beg to differ," which I think came after a lambasting by K about the trashiness of recent cheers. The Crazies tried to raise the level of discourse.

I believe the "beg to differ" chant came about in response to Uncle Terry's Avuncular Letter (http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/cameron/avuncular.jpg)

devildeac
01-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Here ya go Crazies:

Favorite cheer: In Hale! Ex Hale!

Favorite sign in Cameron: Pilot Life Sucks

Second favorite sign: March Madness Makes Me Hot (and the blond that was holding it, too! I have the picture saved, but have no way of posting it here.)

If Ozzie posted it, even if this thread is almost 10 years old, it must be true. Or, as he has said many a time, "So it is written, so it shall be." Or something like that. ;)

OldPhiKap
01-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Dinah Shore would not approve.

mr. synellinden
01-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Another great Cameron moment although not a chant, when the late Brian Williams (who became Bison Dele) came to Cameron as a freshman at Maryland in 1988, the Crazies serenaded him with "The Great Pretender" by The Platters. His father was Geno Williams of The Platters. It got a great smile from him.

jv001
01-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Another great Cameron moment although not a chant, when the late Brian Williams (who became Bison Dele) came to Cameron as a freshman at Maryland in 1988, the Crazies serenaded him with "The Great Pretender" by The Platters. His father was Geno Williams of The Platters. It got a great smile from him.

The Great Pretender and Smoke get's in your eyes are two of the Platters' songs that I really liked. GoDuke!

ricks68
01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
My very favorite Indoor Stadium chant was: "Two Verga, two!":)

ricks

TJ99
01-13-2017, 03:15 AM
My favorite sign ever was :

Hey Jeff, Have you driven a Ford lately

in reference to the rumor Jeff McInnis slept with Phil Ford's wife

DukeDevil
01-13-2017, 07:15 AM
How have we gotten to 4 pages of responses without
"Nate's a bada**"

FadedTackyShirt
01-13-2017, 08:07 AM
"Start the tractor" (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap) when winning late in the game vs. NC State or other ag. schools

1998 UCLA game. Jelani McCoy and Kris Johnson just returned from suspension for smoking weed. Grad students were waving around a 6 foot paper mache doobie. Every time Jelani or Kris shot free throws they were serenaded with, "got the munchies". They and Lavin cracked up several times and got blown out by 40.

K had recruited Baron Davis, but backed off because of shady tactics from Baron's camp. A Chevy Blazer was involved in his recruitment. The "Start the Blazer" chant started early and Baron was pissed.

devildeac
01-13-2017, 08:20 AM
1998 UCLA game. Jelani McCoy and Kris Johnson just returned from suspension for smoking weed. Grad students were waving around a 6 foot paper mache doobie. Every time Jelani or Kris shot free throws they were serenaded with, "got the munchies". They and Lavin cracked up several times and got blown out by 40.

K had recruited Baron Davis, but backed off because of shady tactics from Baron's camp. A Chevy Blazer was involved in his recruitment. The "Start the Blazer" chant started early and Baron was pissed.

WRT Jelani, I seem to recall there were 2 others:

1. One side: Where's Jelani?
Other side: Getting high!

2. Puff, puff, pass...

FadedTackyShirt
01-13-2017, 08:29 AM
How have we gotten to 4 pages of responses without
"Nate's a bada**"

That's my all-time favorite. "Marty doesn't
foul" was also classic.

TruBlu
01-13-2017, 08:48 AM
"Have a drink, Norm Sloan, have a drink!"

UrinalCake
01-13-2017, 08:57 AM
The in-Hale/ex-hale chant was great, directed at a player with the last name Hale who had suffered a collapsed lung earlier in the season.

In the mid-90's against some scrub team a guy with long dreadlocks came to the free throw line. Crazies started chanting "you shot the sheriff." He laughed so hard that he actually stepped forward and committed a lane violation.

One of my favorite signs not in Cameron was in 2010 when the CHeats went to the NIT. It read "NCAA Dress Code: No Heels"

Sadly, these taunts are all but gone from the student section of Cameron. Now the Crazies stick to their scripted, repetitive chants and hand movements. No creativity or spontaneity whatsoever.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 09:03 AM
The in-Hale/ex-hale chant was great, directed at a player with the last name Hale who had suffered a collapsed lung earlier in the season.

Steve Hale.

IIRC, that was Dawkin's last home game, 1986. A Duke win.

nathancjack
01-13-2017, 09:56 AM
"oh no, not Petway", whenever Wake 6th man Scott Petway entered the game.

devildeac
01-13-2017, 09:58 AM

In the mid-90's against some scrub team a guy with long dreadlocks came to the free throw line. Crazies started chanting "you shot the sheriff." He laughed so hard that he actually stepped forward and committed a lane violation.

One of my favorite signs not in Cameron was in 2010 when the CHeats went to the NIT. It read "NCAA Dress Code: No Heels"

Sadly, these taunts are all but gone from the student section of Cameron. Now the Crazies stick to their scripted, repetitive chants and hand movements. No creativity or spontaneity whatsoever.

Steve Hale.

IIRC, that was Dawkin's last home game, 1986. A Duke win.

And his daughter never knew of that cheer until (I suggested that;)) our younger daughter share it with her when she roomed with her during a couple summer school sessions about 5 years ago. I think Steve Hale is now a pulmonary physician, but I haven't verified that info. Oh, the irony.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 10:01 AM
And his daughter never knew of that cheer until (I suggested that;)) our younger daughter share it with her when she roomed with her during a couple summer school sessions about 5 years ago. I think Steve Hale is now a pulmonary physician, but I haven't verified that info. Oh, the irony.

I was straight across from Hale when that cheer went up. Even he laughed.

Tom B.
01-13-2017, 11:17 AM

Another one of my favorite signs for a UNC game appeared at the game against UNC in Cameron in (I think) 2003. The backstory:

In prior seasons, then-UNC coach Matt Doherty had made some unfortunate remarks on the record, saying after one dispiriting loss that he "just wanted to go home and kick the dog" (or something to that effect), and disparaging the attractiveness of Duke's cheerleaders.

Then, in 2002 and 2003, stories started circulating about growing tension between Doherty and his players, and general dysfunction in the program.

Joseph Forte had gone pro after the 2000-01 season (his sophomore year), and made it pretty clear on his way out that Doherty's abrasive (and arguably abusive) coaching style was a big motivator behind his decision to leave early.

And during Carolina's disastrous 2001-02 season (when they went 8-20), and the subsequent 2002-03 season (when Carolina finished 19-16 and went to the NIT), Doherty criticized his players in public several times. Three players (Adam Boone, Neil Fingleton, and Brian Morrison) transferred out of the program, and there were rumors that others were considering leaving -- including some of the players in Carolina's prized 2002-03 freshman class that included Raymond Felton, Sean May, and Rashad McCants.

So for the 2003 UNC game in Cameron, someone prepared a kind of "greatest hits" sign to greet Doherty and the Heels. I think Viking Guy, Mullet Man, and/or Throatybeard might have been involved, so they can correct me if I get this wrong.

THINGS MATT DOHERTY HATES:

2001: His dog

2002: Duke cheerleaders

2003: His players

2004: Unemployment checks

Bluedevil114
01-13-2017, 11:28 AM
To the window to Luol. I still think of that whenever I hear the song by Lil Jon.

ricks68
01-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Another one of my favorite signs for a UNC game appeared at the game against UNC in Cameron in (I think) 2003. The backstory:

In prior seasons, then-UNC coach Matt Doherty had made some unfortunate remarks on the record, saying after one dispiriting loss that he "just wanted to go home and kick the dog" (or something to that effect), and disparaging the attractiveness of Duke's cheerleaders.

Then, in 2002 and 2003, stories started circulating about growing tension between Doherty and his players, and general dysfunction in the program.

Joseph Forte had gone pro after the 2000-01 season (his sophomore year), and made it pretty clear on his way out that Doherty's abrasive (and arguably abusive) coaching style was a big motivator behind his decision to leave early.

And during Carolina's disastrous 2001-02 season (when they went 8-20), and the subsequent 2002-03 season (when Carolina finished 19-16 and went to the NIT), Doherty criticized his players in public several times. Three players (Adam Boone, Neil Fingleton, and Brian Morrison) transferred out of the program, and there were rumors that others were considering leaving -- including some of the players in Carolina's prized 2002-03 freshman class that included Raymond Felton, Sean May, and Rashad McCants.

So for the 2003 UNC game in Cameron, someone prepared a kind of "greatest hits" sign to greet Doherty and the Heels. I think Viking Guy, Mullet Man, and/or Throatybeard might have been involved, so they can correct me if I get this wrong.

THINGS MATT DOHERTY HATES:

2001: His dog

2002: Duke cheerleaders

2003: His players

2004: Unemployment checks

Got a big laugh from me on that one! I would think that The Phalanx was involved, too, as there didn't seem to be much they weren't involved in. Really miss those guys. Too bad they had to grow up.😉

ricks

weezie
01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
To the window to Luol. I still think of that whenever I hear the song by Lil Jon.

That one was fab. Very, very funny.

oakvillebluedevil
01-13-2017, 11:48 AM
The Crazies' getting a hold of a poem written by NCST's CJ Leslie that was heavily laden with sexual innuendo, then doing a dramatic reading of said poem during pregame warmups and free throws was one of the best memories from my timeframe (08-12). The other NCST players were cracking up

alteran
01-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Got a big laugh from me on that one! I would think that The Phalanx was involved, too, as there didn't seem to be much they weren't involved in. Really miss those guys. Too bad they had to grow up.😉

ricks

It might be more accurate to say, "too bad they had to graduate."

At least, I hope it's more accurate.

Tom B.
01-13-2017, 12:22 PM
My freshman year (1990-91), chanting "You both got fired!" at Brent Musberger (who'd been canned by CBS) and Jim Valvano (who'd been forced out at N.C. State) when they showed up to call a game for ABC.

They both cracked up.

DU82
01-13-2017, 12:43 PM

To give proper credit, the sign first showed up at NC State. At Duke, one of the veteran ushers immediately went over to get that sign taken down.

(This may be an urban legend, of course.) When it was shown at State, Gary Hahn read it on the radio, and then said he didn't understand it. Garry Dornberg (the color analyst) immediately said "I'll explain it later" to cut off further discussion.

FadedTackyShirt
01-13-2017, 01:14 PM
I thought the Ford incident was a chant, not a sign. McInnis got in a fight with Jay Heaps during that game.

ricks68
01-13-2017, 01:19 PM

I guess to be the most accurate, I am sure you meant to say something like POST-graduate. (Which they did finally do.)

ricks

tbyers11
01-13-2017, 01:40 PM
I thought the Ford incident was a chant, not a sign. McInnis got in a fight with Jay Heaps during that game.

There was a sign, that as mentioned, disappeared quickly. There was also a chant. Heaps body check of (ahem, aggressive pursuit of a loose ball in the general vicinity of) McInnis into press row was the highlight that afternoon

Rich
01-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Those of us old timers will remember the epic battles between our very own Danny Meagher, a very physical player who didn't take anything from anyone, and UVA's Tom Sheehey, which resulted in a few scrums on the court, I believe in 1984 or 1985. One such incident led to the famous chant directed at Sheehey, "Meagher spit in your face!"

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 02:09 PM
"Shaq can't slam! Shaq can't slam!"

OZ
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
I was straight across from Hale when that cheer went up. Even he laughed.

The "in-Hale" cheer started when Hale entered with the team... when he went to sit on the bench... it changed to "ex-Hale."

It wasn't a cheer, but "speedo guy" is still tops in my book.

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
The "in-Hale" cheer started when Hale entered with the team... when he went to sit on the bench... it changed to "ex-Hale."

Didn't Warren Martin sit that game out too for some reason? Or maybe Joe Wolf? I have an image of them both out of action but not sure why.

Doubt I'm right.

RPS
01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
For me the all-time best sign was a regular during Terp visits while Lefty Driesell (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/lefty-driesell-1.html) (Trinity '54) was their coach.

"Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake. Welcome Lefty!"

The line of guys in scull caps with canes and fake casts limping behind him when he had a broken leg was pretty great too.

luvdahops
01-13-2017, 03:58 PM

They may have been how it began, but I was that game, and recall (perhaps foggily) it being chanted when Hale was at the free throw line. And Hale smiling...

Devilwin
01-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Years ago, former NC State forward Chris Washburn was accused of taking a stereo belonging to another student.
A sign in the Duke student body read, "Chris Walks With The Ball But Runs With The Stereo!":cool:

DU82
01-13-2017, 06:11 PM
They may have been how it began, but I was that game, and recall (perhaps foggily) it being chanted when Hale was at the free throw line. And Hale smiling...

Hale suffered a collapsed lung a few days before. He did not play in that game.

devildeac
01-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Didn't Warren Martin sit that game out too for some reason? Or maybe Joe Wolf? I have an image of them both out of action but not sure why.

Doubt I'm right.

I believe you have them confused with Warren Zevon and Werewolfs of London. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
01-13-2017, 06:32 PM
I believe you have them confused with Warren Zevon and Werewolfs of London. :rolleyes:

Joe Wolf's hair was always perfect.

I do not want to meet Dean Smith's tailor however.

flagellaman
01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
During the 83-84 season someone in the Stately Wayne Manor group hollered out during a timeout, "Hey ref, if you had another eye you'd be a cyclops!"

Indoor66
01-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Joe Wolf's hair was always perfect.

I do not want to meet Dean Smith's tailor however.

You can meet that person. Just buy clothing at the same place that Roy, Sylvia and about 90% of the courtside fans shop. 😈

duketaylor
01-13-2017, 07:29 PM
I finished in '85, during the Avuncular letter and the Boggers behind the opposing bench. They (Duke) created the several rows of opposing fans directly behind the bench because of BOG (Bunch Of Guys), a dorm that acted like a frat. They were in our quad. They were guilty of many things of Duke student lore. They wore the skull caps and chanted at Lefty and mimicked him during the entire game, absolutely hilarious. Please, former Bogger during this era, chime in. I think they catapulted Cameron into what it's become-not to piss off those folks in the 70s, but they were organizers and organized.

Chants I can recall:

"Stand up, Lenny, stand up!" Lenny Wertz, a terrible official was about 5'4" and worked too many of our games, as did the aforementioned Dick "Richard" Paparo.

When` NC State would visit, before the game, with all their bleach-blond cheerleaders, the chant was, "Blond hair" on one side and "Brown roots" on the other.
That would get loud.

I was there for the Herman Veal episode, Chris Washburn, Lorenzo Charles, etc. We were crude at times, but original, at least.

I still believe Duke started the "airball" chant and I think sometime in the 70s.

UVA would have team managers wearing orange pants, green shirts and blue-and-orange ties. Chant would be, "Orange pants", then other side "Green shirt."

That was a common theme for awful attire.

I've missed several, but will post as I recall.

TheRose77
01-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Tom Roy still sucks.

BluDvlsN1
01-13-2017, 08:00 PM
A setup and a cheer…

Ole Roy’s 1st trip to Cameron Indoor as unc’s head coach.

On the floor from the side entrance door in Cameron that unc would enter
from their bus to the locker room, the Crazies lined the floor
with gold paper.

By Roy’s chair on the bench on the floor were
a pair of Ruby Red slippers.

When he came out he looked down
and shook his head and the crazies started in.

“Your not in Kansas anymore”

Native
01-13-2017, 08:41 PM
The Crazies' getting a hold of a poem written by NCST's CJ Leslie that was heavily laden with sexual innuendo, then doing a dramatic reading of said poem during pregame warmups and free throws was one of the best memories from my timeframe (08-12). The other NCST players were cracking up

You're welcome. ;)

dbcooper
01-13-2017, 08:42 PM
My Favorite was a few years back when the Cameron Crazies sang the "ABC's" to the Cheats. Now that was Epic!!!:o:o:o:o

ipatent
01-13-2017, 09:08 PM

Glad they stopped that cheer. I had a high school friend who was a student at State join me for a football game at Wade, and it was pretty embarrassing. There was one amusing moment in Cameron where it morphed into "If you can't go to State, be a ref."

How about "Watch Warren walk," and after Dean took him out "Watch Warren sit."

MChambers
01-13-2017, 09:14 PM
1986 game, against UW, when Detlef Schrempf's shot missed everything, "luftball".

Or 1979, against Marquette, when Billy Packer went to midcourt right before the game and told us all not to embarrass ourselves on national TV, and we all chanted "Billy sucks, Billy sucks" as the broadcast began.

Kjeffrey
01-13-2017, 10:46 PM

He is a pediatrician in Vermont. He is not my son's primary but we saw him a few times when our pediatrician wasn't available.

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2017, 09:23 AM
"Sweat, Gary, Sweat!"

Works like a charm

Love this thread. Brought back great memories and introduced me to quite a few things I had no idea about.

In addition to things already mentioned, these are some of the classics I remember from my era -- Seasons 88-89 to 91-92:

1. As mentioned above, "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!" was tremendous, but I also loved when Gary was blistering officials to the point that it appeared that his head would explode. On at least one occasion, we Crazies pointed at Gary in unison and told him to "Sit, Sit, Sit,...!" Once he did, we mockingly asked him to "Rollover, rollover, rollover, ..." Gary turned a new shade of red that day.

2. This isn't so much a chant but a player/crowd interaction that I will never forget. During the 89-90 Season, Dennis Scott put on a pre-game shooting exhibition for the ages. He seemed to revel in our good-natured jabbing about his weight and at one point hit a half court shot, ate one of the twinkies we threw his way, and ran into the locker room. The interaction between Scott and the crowd was playful and fun. Scott was perhaps even better in the game and scored about 35 or so (IIRC), but Duke still won the game which pitted 2 Final Four teams. Perfect afternoon!

3. Clemson had a guard named Kirkland Howling on their 1989-90 Regular Season ACC Championship team featuring Elden Campbell and Dale Davis. Howling was a pretty good player and handled the ball quite a bit. Every time he touched the ball we Crazies howled as if we were wolves in the wild. So much fun. Howling seemed to enjoy the attention.

4. Shaq came into Cameron during the 90-91 Season and got owned by Laettner. When Shaq played off him, Laettner stuck a 3 or a long 2 in his face. When Shaq came out on him, Laettner drove by him for easy bucket after easy bucket. After starting the game playing each other fairly even, Laettner and Duke began to dominate. Eventually, Shaq got frustrated and seemed to let it impact his game to which the crowd began to cheer, "One, Two, Three, Four, Shaq Can't Play This Game No More!" One of my high school teammates was the first guard off the bench for LSU that season and told me that the team and Shaq had a good laugh about the cheer on the bus ride to RDU.

5. A friend of mine and I were sitting behind BOG for a Sunday afternoon game (perhaps against Arizona) when the BOGgers began randomly chanting, "Test on Tuesday!" clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. Soon most of the crowd got into it. I enjoyed this one, because it seemed so out of the blue, and I was extremely stressed with a ton of things coming up that week in all my classes. Great stress relief.

devildeac
01-14-2017, 10:00 AM
He is a pediatrician in Vermont. He is not my son's primary but we saw him a few times when our pediatrician wasn't available.

Thanks for the update/clarification!

fuse
01-14-2017, 10:07 AM
A setup and a cheer…

Ole Roy’s 1st trip to Cameron Indoor as unc’s head coach.

On the floor from the side entrance door in Cameron that unc would enter
from their bus to the locker room, the Crazies lined the floor
with gold paper.

By Roy’s chair on the bench on the floor were
a pair of Ruby Red slippers.

When he came out he looked down
and shook his head and the crazies started in.

“Your not in Kansas anymore”

As fun as this was to read, feels much more like urban legend. Worth a smile either way!

blazindw
01-14-2017, 11:26 AM

ricks

I'm obviously biased here, but I'll put the coordination/communication/creativity we had with the Phalanx, the band and the cheerleaders/DDD during the couple years I was a line monitor/HLM up against anything. Some incredible chants and moments came from that.

RPS
01-14-2017, 01:02 PM
I still believe Duke started the "airball" chant and I think sometime in the 70s.
Senior Night, 1979 (although I think it was an afternoon game), the famous 7-0 game versus Carolina. Rich Yoniker had a very tough first half.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2017, 02:20 PM
Senior Night, 1979 (although I think it was an afternoon game), the famous 7-0 game versus Carolina. Rich Yoniker had a very tough first half.
First uttered by one James Armstrong, computer grad student and tech guru for the early years of the DBR!

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-14-2017, 02:22 PM

classic...

I can't STAND "you suck".
Love, Ima

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-14-2017, 02:34 PM

YESSSSS! It's totally stupid, to boot. If they suck, beating them is no achievement at all. Not only is it classless, it completely misses the point. Crazies should be wittier than that. K asked them to stop it once. Wish he would again. Unfortunately, the man has other concerns at the moment.
Love, Ima

weezie
01-14-2017, 03:56 PM
About to become favorite chant, "WE LOVE GRAYSON!" clap clap clap-clap-clap

TruBlu
01-14-2017, 04:06 PM
About to become favorite chant, "WE LOVE GRAYSON!" clap clap clap-clap-clap

Seconded!!!

Native
01-14-2017, 04:25 PM
5. A friend of mine and I were sitting behind BOG for a Sunday afternoon game (perhaps against Arizona) when the BOGgers began randomly chanting, "Test on Tuesday!" clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. Soon most of the crowd got into it. I enjoyed this one, because it seemed so out of the blue, and I was extremely stressed with a ton of things coming up that week in all my classes. Great stress relief.

Apparently there's more to this one — I've heard rumor that a member of BOG had asked out a cheerleader for Monday night, and she turned him down because she had a "test on Tuesday".

Kdogg
01-14-2017, 05:36 PM

It was an exhibition game against a traveling team of semi - pros in 1996 or 1997. The guy was a coach the next year when they came back. The memory still brings a smile to my face.

Edouble
01-14-2017, 05:39 PM
It was an exhibition game against a traveling team of semi - pros in 1996 or 1997. The guy was a coach the next year when they came back. The memory still brings a smile to my face.

Almost positive it was 1998. I was at the game and I was abroad Fall semester of 1997, so it could not have been 1997.

I believe this was the same Australian team that wore KMart jerseys, prompting the "Red-Light Spe-cial" chant during the same game.

The "You Shot The Sheriff" chant is indeed an all time classic.

DrChainsaw
01-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the update/clarification!

He's also a great guy. I went to med school at UNC and interviewed for pediatric residency at UVM, so Steve had the honors of taking me out for lunch because of the connection.

As many loathsome players UNC has had, there have been some very good people as well. Including Dave May, a med school classmate of mine, who didn't get much playing time, but is a truly good person and excellent physician.

And while I'm speaking heresy, the few times I met Dean Smith, I found him to be a very pleasant guy.

Having said all that, GTHC!!! God, I hope K is back and our team is healthy when we play those bastards.

devildeac
01-14-2017, 07:43 PM
He's also a great guy. I went to med school at UNC and interviewed for pediatric residency at UVM, so Steve had the honors of taking me out for lunch because of the connection.

As many loathsome players UNC has had, there have been some very good people as well. Including Dave May, a med school classmate of mine, who didn't get much playing time, but is a truly good person and excellent physician.

And while I'm speaking heresy, the few times I met Dean Smith, I found him to be a very pleasant guy.

Having said all that, GTHC!!! God, I hope K is back and our team is healthy when we play those bastards.

My Dad met dean, too, on a plane flight from Cincinnati to Raleigh after the cheaters lost in a regional game there (but it coulda been a connecting flight), and got him to sign a Delta airlines napkin for him and then he gave it to me. No offense to Dad (rest his soul), I promptly shredded said napkin after I used it to, oh, never mind...

Dr. Chainsaw? Really? Hope you don't use your DBR screen name for any patient-related contacts:rolleyes: .

Indoor66
01-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Dr. Chainsaw? Really? Hope you don't use your DBR screen name for any patient-related contacts:rolleyes: .

I'll bet he's a Proctologist! :)

CrazyNotCrazie
01-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Almost positive it was 1998. I was at the game and I was abroad Fall semester of 1997, so it could not have been 1997.

I believe this was the same Australian team that wore KMart jerseys, prompting the "Red-Light Spe-cial" chant during the same game.

The "You Shot The Sheriff" chant is indeed an all time classic.

I am class of 97 and I'm fairly sure I was at the You Shot the Sheriff game so it wasn't in 98.

devil84
01-14-2017, 08:28 PM
One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned is, "It's a school night" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. It's usually used at the end of a blowout game when the opposing team takes time-outs in the last few minutes of the game, fouls extensively, or other method of prolonging the game when it's pretty certain they're going home with an L.

And the original airball chant wasn't quite so quick. It was drawn out much longer, and it eerily echoed through Cameron (similar, though not identical, to how "KU" is chanted/sung in Rock Chalk). It was delicious. Much more dramatic than the lilting, sing-song, quick pace heard today.

DUKIE V(A)
01-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Apparently there's more to this one — I've heard rumor that a member of BOG had asked out a cheerleader for Monday night, and she turned him down because she had a "test on Tuesday".

Even better!!!

weezie
01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
How about that old chestnut, "Blind, Deaf, Wanna be a Ref!"

Turk
01-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Love this thread. Brought back great memories and introduced me to quite a few things I had no idea about.

In addition to things already mentioned, these are some of the classics I remember from my era -- Seasons 88-89 to 91-92:

1. As mentioned above, "Sweat, Gary, Sweat!" was tremendous, but I also loved when Gary was blistering officials to the point that it appeared that his head would explode. On at least one occasion, we Crazies pointed at Gary in unison and told him to "Sit, Sit, Sit,...!" Once he did, we mockingly asked him to "Rollover, rollover, rollover, ..." Gary turned a new shade of red that day.

This goes as far back as Jimmy V in the early 80s, who always enjoyed a good joust with the Crazies. When Valvano got the "Sit, Sit, Sit!" one day he decided to sit on the floor instead of his chair. Then, after a pause, "Roll over, roll over, roll over!" Valvano stood up, gave a little clap and a smile, as if to say, "You got me on that one."

Thurber Whyte
01-14-2017, 09:45 PM
4. Shaq came into Cameron during the 90-91 Season and got owned by Laettner. When Shaq played off him, Laettner stuck a 3 or a long 2 in his face. When Shaq came out on him, Laettner drove by him for easy bucket after easy bucket. After starting the game playing each other fairly even, Laettner and Duke began to dominate. Eventually, Shaq got frustrated and seemed to let it impact his game to which the crowd began to cheer, "One, Two, Three, Four, Shaq Can't Play This Game No More!" One of my high school teammates was the first guard off the bench for LSU that season and told me that the team and Shaq had a good laugh about the cheer on the bus ride to RDU.

That was a great game! As I recall, this chant went up after Shaq got his fourth foul. Amongst his other woes, Shaq got into foul trouble trying to keep up with Laetner and LSU was trying to spell him with Geert Hammink, at that point in his career a big stiff, who quickly amassed four fouls of his own in mere minutes of play forcing Shaq back into the game where he had to labor on with his foul trouble. Another highlight was, “Shaquille has a big ole butt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84LUpG6ieis).” Toward the very end, when Duke was up big and an LSU player was attempting free throws, instead of trying to distract him, the grad section, where I was, collectively turned their backs and started chanting, “It just doesn’t matter!”

My favorite Crazy chant actually took place at the Capitol Center during the 1990 ACC-Big East Challenge against Georgetown. Tickets were made available to students through the Duke ticket office and a large contingent, including myself, went up to the game and filled the entire lower section of one end zone. At one point, Dikembe Mutombo got a cramp in his leg and fell to the floor. He tried to get up, but fell back down and sat there until trainers came out and took him off the court. We started chanting, “He’s fallen and he can’t get up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkZDMepVwGg).”

rsvman
01-14-2017, 11:59 PM
As fun as this was to read, feels much more like urban legend. Worth a smile either way!

Nope. Real deal.

Also, in the front row were crazies dressed as Dorothy, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion. Classic.

DrChainsaw
01-15-2017, 05:14 AM
I'll bet he's a Proctologist! :)

Nope, because then my handle would be BenDoverMD.

Pghdukie
01-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Nope, because then my handle would be BenDoverMD.

That certainly beats "Hands of Stone "MD.

Indoor66
01-15-2017, 08:04 AM
That certainly beats "Hands of Stone "MD.

Or "Iceman".

Tom B.
01-15-2017, 01:05 PM
2. This isn't so much a chant but a player/crowd interaction that I will never forget. During the 89-90 Season, Dennis Scott put on a pre-game shooting exhibition for the ages. He seemed to revel in our good-natured jabbing about his weight and at one point hit a half court shot, ate one of the twinkies we threw his way, and ran into the locker room. The interaction between Scott and the crowd was playful and fun. Scott was perhaps even better in the game and scored about 35 or so (IIRC), but Duke still won the game which pitted 2 Final Four teams. Perfect afternoon!

Scott actually scored 36. Here's the boxscore (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19900128). It was a close game that Scott almost singlehandedly won by himself. So while taunting opposing players might be fun, sometimes poking the bear can come back to bite you.

That was the "Lethal Weapon 3" Georgia Tech team that featured Scott, Kenny Anderson (as a freshman), and Brian Oliver. Those guys were fun to watch. Duke beat them twice in the regular season, but Georgia Tech got its revenge in the ACC Tournament semifinal, en route to the ACC Tournament championship. They made the Final Four that year and actually led UNLV by seven at halftime, before UNLV turned on the jets in the second half and won by nine.

ChemGod
01-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Scott actually scored 36. Here's the boxscore (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19900128). It was a close game that Scott almost singlehandedly won by himself. So while taunting opposing players might be fun, sometimes poking the bear can come back to bite you.

That was the "Lethal Weapon 3" Georgia Tech team that featured Scott, Kenny Anderson (as a freshman), and Brian Oliver. Those guys were fun to watch. Duke beat them twice in the regular season, but Georgia Tech got its revenge in the ACC Tournament semifinal, en route to the ACC Tournament championship. They made the Final Four that year and actually led UNLV by seven at halftime, before UNLV turned on the jets in the second half and won by nine.

Was at the game...one of my favorite Cameron experiences. It really epitomized ACC basketball, the sharp wit of the Crazies, and a lot of class from a skilled and engaging opponent. MAN could Scott shoot!

Spanarkel
01-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Favorite Cameron Sign: "The All-ACC Ugly Team," which listed one UNC player as no. 1 and no. 2 among the "starting" five(believe it was Rich Yonakor but it could've been Mike O'Koren)

rasputin
01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Not a chant, but my first Cameron game was in 1979, and Wolfpack player Clyde Austin had been spotted on multiple occasions driving expensive cars that weren't his. Every time Austin got the ball everybody jangled their car keys, and Austin had a miserable game. I think the kids were also back-and-forth yelling "Red" and "Yellow" (a variation on the State cheer) because those were the colors of the cars in question.

devildeac
01-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Not a chant, but my first Cameron game was in 1979, and Wolfpack player Clyde Austin had been spotted on multiple occasions driving expensive cars that weren't his. Every time Austin got the ball everybody jangled their car keys, and Austin had a miserable game. I think the kids were also back-and-forth yelling "Red" and "Yellow" (a variation on the State cheer) because those were the colors of the cars in question.

Pizza boxes, underwear, stereo equipment, long-playing records/albums, tilt/pinball wizard. Yes, NCSU basketball, the gift that keeps on giving. At least they're not cheaters.

Tom B.
01-16-2017, 02:21 PM
MAN could Scott shoot!

My favorite Dennis Scott moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLgeRVj10VM

Devilwin
01-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Favorite Cameron Sign: "The All-ACC Ugly Team," which listed one UNC player as no. 1 and no. 2 among the "starting" five(believe it was Rich Yonakor but it could've been Mike O'Koren)

Mike O'Koren.
Another sign named him "Ugly Foundation Poster Child".:cool:

DisplacedBlueDevil
01-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Nice sign (not sure about a chant) with the clock running late in this season's ACC/B1G challenge: "Sparty's Over".

Simple & Effective :D

DukieInKansas
01-16-2017, 05:13 PM

The Durham Morning Herald had a column the next day about only Duke students having car keys to rattle - obviously, everyone at Duke was rich with cars. I confess to having a car key on my key ring but the car was in Texas, where my Dad drove it to work each day. I also had a dorm key, a room key, a mailbox key, and a house in Texas key. Amazingly enough, they rattled just like car keys would.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Mike O'Koren is the permanent captain of the All Ugly team. Has been for over 35 years!

jv001
01-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Thanks Tom B. for the video. Made me think of the sign, JR can't Reid(read) and another sign saying: Mike O'Korn-ALL ACC UGLY!. When the announcer on the video said one of Carolina's players called a time out and had the presence of mind to do so, all I could think of was: It wasn't Dean. He trained old roy to hold them for the next game. Dennis Scott and Randolph Childress, two of my favorite non-Duke players. GoDuke!

Mrduke21
01-17-2017, 09:22 AM
I was just wondering, for fun, what are some of your all-time favorite chants from the Cameron Crazies??

With a few seconds on the clock a Marist player makes two, seemingly, insignificant free throws... score 94 - 49. The Crazies erupt in cheers and begin chanting "PALINDROME, PALINDROME, PALINDROME"!

OZ
01-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Pizza boxes, underwear, stereo equipment, long-playing records/albums, tilt/pinball wizard. Yes, NCSU basketball, the gift that keeps on giving. At least they're not cheaters.

I believe the "underwear" toss went to a Maryland player. I was there, but the memory fades. The player (leaving out name) had been accused of sexual assault. My memory is he was disciplined but never officially charged. Several pairs of panties hit the floor. That seemed to be the beginning of the end of the "floor" show; as it was viewed to be in poor taste.

devildeac
01-17-2017, 10:05 AM
I believe the "underwear" toss went to a Maryland player. I was there, but the memory fades. The player (leaving out name) had been accused of sexual assault. My memory is he was disciplined but never officially charged. Several pairs of panties hit the floor. That seemed to be the beginning of the end of the "floor" show; as it was viewed to be in poor taste.

That player/incident was Herman Veal, IIRC, and it evoked the famous avuncular letter.

Going back even a few more years I think, there were one or two NCSU players (maybe Tiny Pinder and ??) arrested for shoplifting as they had allegedly changed the price tags on some men's underwear briefs/boxers, hence the underwear waving/tossing welcoming (cough) to CIS that game. Is my memory correct here? 100% 75% Or urban legend and I need to enter counseling?:o

OldPhiKap
01-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Olden Polynice (a center for UVa in the mid-80's) was busted for plagiarism. Someone printed up copies of a sheet with the title page "Hamlet: An Original Play by Olden Polynice" and handed them out before the game as we went into Cameron. Not sure how many of those there were; I assume that BOG was behind it but don't know.

HeloApex
01-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Virginia Tech's first trip to CIS after joining the ACC (the game Seth Greenberg was thrown out of).

VT playing Hack-a-Duke (~20 fouls in the 1st half alone), crowd chants "It's not football!!!" Later, in the 2nd half when up by 35, crowd chants "Up 5 touchdowns!!!"

Same game saw a VT player at the foul line with some sort of dreadlock mullet. Crowd chants "Good mullet!!!" (pointing to Mullet Man), "Bad mullet!!!" (pointing at VT player)

Spanarkel
01-17-2017, 10:24 AM
That player/incident was Herman Veal, IIRC, and it evoked the famous avuncular letter.

Going back even a few more years I think, there were one or two NCSU players (maybe Tiny Pinder and ??) arrested for shoplifting as they had allegedly changed the price tags on some men's underwear briefs/boxers, hence the underwear waving/tossing welcoming (cough) to CIS that game. Is my memory correct here? 100% 75% Or urban legend and I need to enter counseling?:o

Yes, you're correct! The underwear price tag switchers were Kendal "Tiny"(not sure how he got the moniker)Pinder and Tony Warren.

Pinder was further publicly shamed by being drafted by the Atlanta Hawks.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-17-2017, 10:36 AM
In the not-so-golden age of ACC refereeing, either Lenny Wirtz or Dick Paparo reffed a lot of games in Cameron. For Lenny, there was the cheer of "Lenny is the Wirtz." Paparo, who felt a particular need to make himself as visible as possible while consistently making the wrong calls, got "You suck Dick." I believe Coach K put the kibosh on that one at some point, though some continued to chant "You suck Richard."

ranmoo
01-17-2017, 11:47 AM
A memorable sign.

Above kendall "Tiny" Pinder of NCSU was mentioned. This was during the Norm Sloan era at State in the late '70s

"Mrs. Sloan loves Norm's Tiny Pinder "

devildeac
01-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Virginia Tech's first trip to CIS after joining the ACC (the game Seth Greenberg was thrown out of).

VT playing Hack-a-Duke (~20 fouls in the 1st half alone), crowd chants "It's not football!!!" Later, in the 2nd half when up by 35, crowd chants "Up 5 touchdowns!!!"

Same game saw a VT player at the foul line with some sort of dreadlock mullet. Crowd chants "Good mullet!!!" (pointing to Mullet Man), "Bad mullet!!!" (pointing at VT player)

Also from that game:

1. "Please stop fouling"
2. "It's a school night"
3. After groanberg's ejection: Pointing at Duke bench: "Coach"
Pointing at vt bench: "No coach"

(aside-that's the game when after his ejection as he left the floor, he turned back to the refs one more time and claimed he was "attacked" by the grad students as they "waved" good riddance, err, good-bye to him-yea, I despised him then and even more now after his hypocritical behavior over Grayson's recent trouble)

4. "wide left/right" for their FT

devildeac
01-17-2017, 12:03 PM
In the not-so-golden age of ACC refereeing, either Lenny Wirtz or Dick Paparo reffed a lot of games in Cameron. For Lenny, there was the cheer of "Lenny is the Wirtz." Paparo, who felt a particular need to make himself as visible as possible while consistently making the wrong calls, got "You suck Dick." I believe Coach K put the kibosh on that one at some point, though some continued to chant "You suck Richard."

And I think it was one of those 2 clowns (I'm feeling magnanimous this am:o), after years of making (many questionable) calls from 30 or more feet away, inspired the Crazies to start the "not your call" cheer.

RPS
01-17-2017, 06:41 PM
There was an annual Chronicle feature on that subject too.

In December of 1978, the 12th ranked USC Trojans came to Cameron to play us (ranked #1 at the time). The Trojans were welcomed with a flurry of Trojans. Players from both teams were seen grabbing samples.

OZ
01-17-2017, 07:49 PM
This is probably already posted, but one that had you laughing throughout the game was with some cupcake team about twenty-five years ago. There was this skinny kid with goggle-like glasses and long socks. Every time he came on the floor they would start yelling.. "Urkel...Urkel." His whole team was laughing when they started it.

summerwind03
01-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Olden Polynice (a center for UVa in the mid-80's) was busted for plagiarism. Someone printed up copies of a sheet with the title page "Hamlet: An Original Play by Olden Polynice" and handed them out before the game as we went into Cameron. Not sure how many of those there were; I assume that BOG was behind it but don't know.

There was also a sign, "Where's Olden, home studying at the Xerox?"

summerwind03
01-17-2017, 09:57 PM

It was slightly possible that some people in Cameron weren't able to understand that chant, given how quickly it sped up. I will never forget when Coach K rushed over to the microphone, though, and shouted, "Stop saying, 'You suck Dick!'"

duketaylor
01-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Thought that the "Jelly of the Month Club" was distinguished as the gift that keeps on giving!!:cool:

DUKIE V(A)
01-18-2017, 06:48 AM
3. After groanberg's ejection: Pointing at Duke bench: "Coach"
Pointing at vt bench: "No coach"

(aside-that's the game when after his ejection as he left the floor, he turned back to the refs one more time and claimed he was "attacked" by the grad students as they "waved" good riddance, err, good-bye to him-yea, I despised him then and even more now after his hypocritical behavior over Grayson's recent trouble)

Hilarious and thanks for sharing the timing of the "Coach/No Coach" cheer. It would have been almost as funny and probably just as accurate had Uncle Fester still been on his bench.

toothmechanic72
01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
I haven't gone back to read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned. My freshman year (1990-91), Jim Valvano and Brent Musberger were the announcers for a game for ABC. They were on the floor doing a pregame taping about an hour before the game. Valvano had been fired at NC State and Musberger had been fired from CBS. We all started chanting "you both got fired" during the taping, and they started cracking up laughing. Good memories!

Daddylawman
01-18-2017, 11:19 AM

It was definitely Veal - I was there. I still have an incredibly worn out t-shirt that I bought for $5 about a week later. I think some students had them printed up. The front has a Blue Devil and the back says "Majoring in smartass" quoting Ken Dennlinger (sp?) the Washington Post reporter who wrote how awful the Crazies were.

OldPhiKap
01-18-2017, 01:08 PM
My two favorites away from Cameron were in the 2001 ACC Tournament at the Georgia Dome. Maryland did not use all of their ticket allotment, and us Duke fans bought up a pretty big slice of them.

Semifinal game, Maryland absolutely blew us out early and the game looked over ten minutes in. Duke scraped, clawed and fought back to win 84-82 at the end. As we were all walking out, a bunch of Twerps were crabbing how they were the better team, etcetera. This college kid in a Duke sweatshirt shot me a quick glance, and then just started sing-songing "Score-board! Score-board!" Absolutely cracked me up.

Next game was the final against UNC, and we blew them off the court. Heel fans started leaving with about 17 minutes to go. Being the polite folks we were, all the Duke fans waived and chanted "drive home safely! drive home safely!" Final score: Duke 79, Carolina 53.

That was a fun year.

Tom B.
01-18-2017, 03:29 PM
It was definitely Veal - I was there. I still have an incredibly worn out t-shirt that I bought for $5 about a week later. I think some students had them printed up. The front has a Blue Devil and the back says "Majoring in smartass" quoting Ken Dennlinger (sp?) the Washington Post reporter who wrote how awful the Crazies were.

Here's the (in)famous column by Ken Denlinger (https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1984/01/15/devils-advocates-are-out-of-order/f0e4b468-a824-42d7-a901-7beb41cb943c/?utm_term=.81a21297bef7).

Often forgotten about that game is the fact that Maryland won, 81-75. Veal seemed largely unfazed by the, um...attention, as he went for a double-double (12 points and 10 boards), with five assists and two steals for good measure. Len Bias (then a sophomore) led Maryland with 17.

Duke would beat Maryland 89-84 in College Park a month later, but Maryland won the rubber match in the ACC Tournament final. Duke was physically and emotionally gassed after a hard-fought 77-75 upset win over #1-ranked North Carolina in the ACC semifinals (that was the loaded UNC team with Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty, Kenny Smith, and Matt Doherty, which had won two close games against Duke in the regular season), and faded down the stretch in a 74-62 loss to the Terps.

Then Duke went out west and lost to Washington 80-78 in their first game in the NCAA Tournament (it was actually a second-round game -- the tournament was 53 teams back then, and Duke was seeded highly enough to earn a bye into the second round). Future NBA star Detlef Schrempf abused us for 30, and Washington shot an astonishing 70.5% as a team.

My two favorites away from Cameron were in the 2001 ACC Tournament at the Georgia Dome. Maryland did not use all of their ticket allotment, and us Duke fans bought up a pretty big slice of them.

Semifinal game, Maryland absolutely blew us out early and the game looked over ten minutes in. Duke scraped, clawed and fought back to win 84-82 at the end.

I think you may be confusing our 2001 ACC Tournament semifinal win against Maryland with our 2001 NCAA semifinal win against Maryland (or merging the two together in your mind).

The ACC Tournament semifinal was a tight game almost the whole way. Maryland jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first few minutes, but Duke erased it quickly and pulled even at 12-12 by the 12:00 mark. Maryland led by three (45-42) at halftime, then Duke went ahead in the second half and led by as many as 14 (61-47 at the 15:20 mark).

Then it was Maryland's turn to come back. They chipped away slowly, and Duke's lead mostly hovered around 6-10 points for much of the second half. With less than five minutes remaining, Maryland started chipping away again, and actually took the lead at 78-77 with 2:20 to go. It was back-and-forth the rest of the way. Maryland tied it at 82-82 on a three-pointer by Steve Blake with 8.1 seconds left, then Duke took the lead for good on a tip-in by Nate James with 1.3 seconds left. Juan Dixon's 40-foot heave at the buzzer almost went in, but bounced off the rim.

You can watch that whole game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plASj51fQtM

The NCAA semifinal game was the one where Maryland looked like they were going to blow Duke out. Maryland came out gunning and led by as many as 22 (39-17 with 6:55 left in the first half). Duke battled back and cut the lead to eight (46-38) in the last minute of the first half, before Dixon hit a long three-pointer in the closing seconds to give Maryland a 49-38 halftime lead. Duke kept fighting back in the second half and took the lead at 73-72 with 6:50 left. It was back-and-forth for the next few minutes, then Duke gradually pulled away for a 95-84 win.

You can watch that game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEafHCO6NBo

OldPhiKap
01-18-2017, 03:57 PM
I think you may be confusing our 2001 ACC Tournament semifinal win against Maryland with our 2001 NCAA semifinal win against Maryland (or merging the two together in your mind).

The ACC Tournament semifinal was a tight game almost the whole way. Maryland jumped out to a 10-0 lead in the first few minutes, but Duke erased it quickly and pulled even at 12-12 by the 12:00 mark. Maryland led by three (45-42) at halftime, then Duke went ahead in the second half and led by as many as 14 (61-47 at the 15:20 mark).

Then it was Maryland's turn to come back. They chipped away slowly, and Duke's lead mostly hovered around 6-10 points for much of the second half. With less than five minutes remaining, Maryland started chipping away again, and actually took the lead at 78-77 with 2:20 to go. It was back-and-forth the rest of the way. Maryland tied it at 82-82 on a three-pointer by Steve Blake with 8.1 seconds left, then Duke took the lead for good on a tip-in by Nate James with 1.3 seconds left. Juan Dixon's 40-foot heave at the buzzer almost went in, but bounced off the rim.

You can watch that whole game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plASj51fQtM

The NCAA semifinal game was the one where Maryland looked like they were going to blow Duke out. Maryland came out gunning and led by as many as 22 (39-17 with 6:55 left in the first half). Duke battled back and cut the lead to eight (46-38) in the last minute of the first half, before Dixon hit a long three-pointer in the closing seconds to give Maryland a 49-38 halftime lead. Duke kept fighting back in the second half and took the lead at 73-72 with 6:50 left. It was back-and-forth for the next few minutes, then Duke gradually pulled away for a 95-84 win.

You can watch that game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEafHCO6NBo

I was remembering big comebacks in both games, but perhaps I am conflating the ACCT 10-0 deficit with the NCAA game somewhat. I do remember thinking that we were lucky to be close at halftime.

If I recall correctly, the NCAA game was when K called a time out when we were getting squashed in the first half. K told the team that he wasn't going to call any more set plays, and told them to just go out and play. Because Battier.

longtimedevil
01-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I was there ---GREEN ---------> SHORTS.
It was very funny at the time for those who saw it and repeated it...
But it was even funnier years later when the students would chant it not knowing the reason for it to begin with.
Poor old Henry Pye.

madscavenger
01-18-2017, 07:18 PM

devildeac
01-18-2017, 08:24 PM

Ozzie? Are you still breathing?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-19-2017, 06:38 AM
Ozzie? Are you still breathing?
Yes, and at a faster pace! LOL :cool:

Tom B.
01-19-2017, 10:50 AM

2004 ACC Tournament. She was sitting in my row, about 5 or 6 seats away. We chatted a bit -- she was very nice. She was actually a student at Elon, IIRC. Big J.J. Redick fan. I think she had another sign that said, "J.J., WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

ricks68
01-19-2017, 11:27 AM
2004 ACC Tournament. She was sitting in my row, about 5 or 6 seats away. We chatted a bit -- she was very nice. She was actually a student at Elon, IIRC. Big J.J. Redick fan. I think she had another sign that said, "J.J., WILL YOU MARRY ME?"

Oh yes, she definitely had the other sign, but I don't think anyone paid that much attention to what either of the signs said.😊

ricks

Tom B.
01-19-2017, 03:24 PM
This wasn't a Cameron cheer, but it was one of my favorite moments of Duke-UNC humor. Before one of the Carolina games in either 1991 or 1992, the front page of the Chronicle featured a big, empty box that was devoid of text except for the words:

This big useless white space was placed here to remind you of Eric Montross.

Which also reminds me of one of the best "acronym" signs I ever saw in Cameron:

Most
Overrated
Non-
Talented
Recruit
On
Smith's
Squad

OZ
01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
I still think this should be put in The Crazies Hall Of Fame Moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEXG0mZKcw

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Of course the most contagious and enduring Cameron chant will always be "AIR BALL". And I'm melancholy when I remember I was there to hear the very first one.

But I think one that may have been overlooked on this thread was how the Crazies would go into the Munster theme song when Eric Montross would walk by them, singing the famous "Duh Duh Duh Dum" Click Click (finger snaps) keeping time with his gait. Some guys were even wearing stick-on bolts on the sides of their necks.

Love, Ima

devildeac
01-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Of course the most contagious and enduring Cameron chant will always be "AIR BALL". And I'm melancholy when I remember I was there to hear the very first one.

But I think one that may have been overlooked on this thread was how the Crazies would go into the Munster theme song when Eric Montross would walk by them, singing the famous "Duh Duh Duh Dum" Click Click (finger snaps) keeping time with his gait. Some guys were even wearing stick-on bolts on the sides of their necks.

Love, Ima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Love, Ima

Oops, jk refreshed my memory. That was THE ADAMS FAMILY theme they would re-create with all the finger snapping. My bad.
Love, Ima

SilkyJ
01-21-2017, 05:35 PM
It wasn't exactly a chant, but the guys in Tent 1 c. 2003/2004/2005 did a spectacular Sean May impersonation. Posha (sp?), who is a large man, put on a Sean May uniform (jersey, shorts, shoes...the works) while someone else dangled a big mac box on the middle of the Cameron floor using a fishing rod. The ensuing performance was mesmerizing.

blazindw
01-24-2017, 08:27 AM
It wasn't exactly a chant, but the guys in Tent 1 c. 2003/2004/2005 did a spectacular Sean May impersonation. Posha (sp?), who is a large man, put on a Sean May uniform (jersey, shorts, shoes...the works) while someone else dangled a big mac box on the middle of the Cameron floor using a fishing rod. The ensuing performance was mesmerizing.

That was in 2004, when I was HLM. Pasha doing that still makes me laugh hysterically thinking about it!!

Tom B.
01-24-2017, 01:51 PM

The "dangling Big Mac box on a fishing rod" thing has been done a bunch of times. I'm pretty sure it was done for Nigel "Big Jelly" Dixon, the 6'10", 375-lb. planetoid who played for Florida State in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Fun fact: Dixon played three years at FSU, then transferred to Western Kentucky, where he famously shattered a backboard during one game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYfYzfepDIc

I think the Crazies also might have done the "dangling Big Mac" for Dennis Scott back in the late 1980s, after Scott had some off-season weight problems. IIRC, that was also the game where the Crazies lobbed Twinkies and donuts at Scott during pre-game warmups, then he went out and dropped 36 on us (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19900128) and almost single-handedly won the game.

weezie
02-02-2017, 09:36 PM
I have a question, most likely for Native,

What has happened to "Shots, Shots, Shots, Shots-shots-shots EVERYBODY!!!"

Has it been retired?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-02-2017, 10:17 PM

Has it been retired?

I heard it earlier this season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2017, 10:25 PM

There is so much about what happens during games at Cameron that is scripted or feels like it. Being televised all the time has allowed commercials to break the game into defined intervals. The pep band organizes what will be played based on the commercials' timetable.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2017, 10:37 PM
One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned is, "It's a school night" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap. It's usually used at the end of a blowout game when the opposing team takes time-outs in the last few minutes of the game, fouls extensively, or other method of prolonging the game when it's pretty certain they're going home with an L.

And the original airball chant wasn't quite so quick. It was drawn out much longer, and it eerily echoed through Cameron (similar, though not identical, to how "KU" is chanted/sung in Rock Chalk). It was delicious. Much more dramatic than the lilting, sing-song, quick pace heard today.

The tones and cadence reminded me of chanting, maybe not Gregorian, but chanting.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2017, 10:44 PM

Wasn't the Fruit of the Loom worn by students as headgear? There was a lot of it because students then sat on both sides of the court, at times being a bit inhospitable to the visitor's bench down in front of them.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-02-2017, 10:46 PM
There is so much about what happens during games at Cameron that is scripted or feels like it. Being televised all the time has allowed commercials to break the game into defined intervals. The pep band organizes what will be played based on the commercials' timetable.

Yep. It ain't what it used to be. The kids don't have a chance to be funny or witty anymore. I noticed they have returned to selling stuff on the PA as soon as there is a time out again. NOTHING lets the air out of Cameron like that! Just when we start to hold the opponent's feet to the fire, everybody has to be quiet and listen to some ad. Stupid.
Love, Ima

FadedTackyShirt

Slightly OT, but when did the band/cheerleaders stop doing Rock Lobster? Was a staple for decades, but haven't seen it in a few years.

devildeac
Wasn't the Fruit of the Loom worn by students as headgear? There was a lot of it because students then sat on both sides of the court, at times being a bit inhospitable to the visitor's bench down in front of them.

I can imagine any/all of the above: waving the underwear, using it a "headgear" or tossing a few of them on the court as that was then and this is now. :o

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-02-2017, 10:50 PM
I can imagine any/all of the above: waving the underwear, using it a "headgear" or tossing a few of them on the court as that was then and this is now. :o
I was there. Most of that underwear was worn on their heads like toboggans.

gotoguy
02-02-2017, 11:50 PM

Awesome! Haven't seen that since I witnessed it live.

uh_no
02-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Slightly OT, but when did the band/cheerleaders stop doing Rock Lobster? Was a staple for decades, but haven't seen it in a few years.

they played it at the state game....first timeout.

They don't do it every game...but about 50/50.

FadedTackyShirt
02-03-2017, 05:53 AM
they played it at the state game...first timeout.

They don't do it every game...but about 50/50.

Thanks, was there but don't recall it. Love the song, but pissed since clearly it's plagiarized from my third grade class play. A future homecoming/prom queen and I were the narrators via a cardboard diving bell with cutout holes for our mugs.

UrinalCake
02-03-2017, 08:46 AM

They only do it a couple times per season. None of the fans know the dance because it happens so rarely.

As for the "shots" chant, they play the song from LMFAO over the PA system pretty often after we make a big shot and the opponent calls a timeout. Haven't heard the fans initiate it.

You know what else never happens? Randomly chanting "Go to hell Carolina" for no reason. That used to happen multiple times per game.

Native
02-03-2017, 09:16 AM

Has it been retired?

Nope — it's still in rotation, as far as I'm aware. They typically only do it when the team is on a big run. Conditions have to be just right. ;)

brevity
02-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Randomly chanting "Go to hell Carolina" for no reason.

Oh, there's a reason. The timing may be random, but the chant serves a purpose.

Ballboy1998
02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
While not on the same tier as a lot of those previously mentioned, I recall a chant that I believe was directed at FSU's Solomon Alabi when he went to the free throw line. This would have been in the 2008-10 time period. The students all started singing "U - G - L - Y you ain't got no ALIBI, you ugly! what what, you ugly! U - G - L - Y." Definitely one of those ones that got some grins and stifled laughs from his teammates.

aimo
02-03-2017, 09:49 AM
In the olden days, they used to do the haunting WE'RE GOING TO GET YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU chant.

uh_no
02-03-2017, 10:00 AM
They only do it a couple times per season. None of the fans know the dance because it happens so rarely.

As for the "shots" chant, they play the song from LMFAO over the PA system pretty often after we make a big shot and the opponent calls a timeout. Haven't heard the fans initiate it.

You know what else never happens? Randomly chanting "Go to hell Carolina" for no reason. That used to happen multiple times per game.

After the eve carson things, the crazies made a point of refraining from it during the subsequent carolina game...it seemed to be far less common after that.

It could also be due to K pushing the crazies to focus more on being positive towards duke (rather than negative towards the other guys) as well as focusing on the game at hand.

chrishoke
02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
While not on the same tier as a lot of those previously mentioned, I recall a chant that I believe was directed at FSU's Solomon Alabi when he went to the free throw line. This would have been in the 2008-10 time period. The students all started singing "U - G - L - Y you ain't got no ALIBI, you ugly! what what, you ugly! U - G - L - Y." Definitely one of those ones that got some grins and stifled laughs from his teammates.

My memory is that cheer started with the Mike O'Koren UNC teams in the late 70's and went "U - G - L - Y you ain't got no ALIBI, your ugly! Carolina ugly."

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Go to Hell Carolina is not negative. It merely recites what most of the civilized world regards as a moral imperative.👹😎

Ballboy1998
02-03-2017, 10:10 AM
My memory is that cheer started with the Mike O'Koren UNC teams in the late 70's and went "U - G - L - Y you ain't got no ALIBI, your ugly! Carolina ugly."

Fair enough, very likely to have been a previously used cheer. But in Solomon Alabi's case, the play on his last name (Alabi versus alibi) heightened the cleverness/humor of it a bit.

Indoor66
02-03-2017, 10:13 AM
O'Koren was ALL-ACC UGLY. Also, for all the tar holes, he was from N.J. 😂😎

uh_no
02-03-2017, 11:01 AM
After the eve carson things, the crazies made a point of refraining from it during the subsequent carolina game...it seemed to be far less common after that.

It could also be due to K pushing the crazies to focus more on being positive towards duke (rather than negative towards the other guys) as well as focusing on the game at hand.

Now that I think, at the crazie team meeting, someone specifically asked about it, and coach said to put the ixnay on it at least for that game....though I think the sentiment may have carried over.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2017, 08:27 AM
i never heard it last year when we played carolina. It was noticeably absent, and I miss it. It's always appropriate and always in good taste! GTHc! GTH! 9F!

plimnko
02-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Go to Hell Carolina is not negative. It merely recites what most of the civilized world regards as a moral imperative.����

is it as much of a chant as a way of life?

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-04-2017, 10:22 AM
I LOVED "OH! BAYBEE!" sparingly and at just the right time to reward a stupendous play, until they lost the "OH" sign along with the point of it altogether. Now they only shake that doll unmercifully and constantly. Makes no sense.
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
02-04-2017, 11:02 AM
My favorites are the simple classics:

1. Boing boing boing -- aaahhhhhh-- pass --- ahhhhhhh --- boing boing shot! (Loser buzzer)

2. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww -- SEE YA!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Long ago when tickets to individual tickets were priced at $2.50 for basketball and $4.50 for football, we greeted the introduction of each starter for the visitors with "Who's he?". This was back when the style of lighting allowed for dimming the house lights and focusing the spotlight on those being introduced. Our greeting grated on the leaders in the Allen Building so we students were told to mind our manners. Thus ended our greeting.

OldPhiKap
02-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Long ago when tickets to individual tickets were priced at $2.50 for basketball and $4.50 for football, we greeted the introduction of each starter for the visitors with "Who's he?". This was back when the style of lighting allowed for dimming the house lights and focusing the spotlight on those being introduced. Our greeting grated on the leaders in the Allen Building so we students were told to mind our manners. Thus ended our greeting.

You would think that an institution of higher learning would encourage the inquisitive mind.

jv001
02-04-2017, 02:11 PM

I remember those days and I remember the announcer introducing the players this way: From Lexington, Kentucky # 44, Jeff Mullinsssssssssssss. Loved those days. I think Bob Verga was from Sea Girt, NJ, but I for some reason can't remember his number. I thought it was #25 but that was Heyman's number. Oh, I loved those days of Duke basketball. GoDuke!

TruBlu
02-04-2017, 03:06 PM
I remember those days and I remember the announcer introducing the players this way: From Lexington, Kentucky # 44, Jeff Mullinsssssssssssss. Loved those days. I think Bob Verga was from Sea Girt, NJ, but I for some reason can't remember his number. I thought it was #25 but that was Heyman's number. Oh, I loved those days of Duke basketball. GoDuke!

Verga was #11.

jv001
02-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Verga was #11.

Yes, he was #11. The camera showed the players that had great success at Duke and I slowed the video down so I could see Bob Verga's number and it was indeed #11. That's two great players with that number. Bobby Hurley and Verga. GoDuke!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-04-2017, 03:40 PM

That reminds me of another one. When smith would look down his bench and send Sullivan in, the crazies would chant "Oh NO! Not Sullivan!"
Love Ima

devildeac
02-04-2017, 03:50 PM
I think GTHc, GTH moves BTTT in this thread. ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DukieInKansas
02-04-2017, 05:14 PM

QFE

I always did like it when this chant broke out in a game where we weren't playing unc. The visitors always looked confused.

OldPhiKap
02-04-2017, 05:31 PM
I always did like it when this chant broke out in a game where we weren't playing unc. The visitors always looked confused.

Except against Maryland, because it was usually linked with "not our ri-val!"

Okay, some still didn't get it.

Indoor66
02-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Except against Maryland, because it was usually linked with "not our ri-val!"

Okay, some still didn't get it.

I always thought that chant was lame.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
I always thought that chant was lame.

Me too. Would have been way more dismissive to have yelled GTHC
Love, Ima