PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
11-18-2007, 12:42 AM
The Princeton tip-off is about 44 hours away. Place your pre-game discussion into this thread.

Princeton Basketball News (http://www.princetonbasketball.com/blog/)

Maui Invitational (http://www.mauiinvitational.com/)

Oriole Way
11-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Final score predictions anyone?

pfrduke
11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Final score predictions anyone?

Duke - a lot
Princeton - a little

wilson
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Duke - a lot
Princeton - a little

I hope so, and I expect Duke to win more or less comfortably. But with their remarkable discipline and better than expected personnel, Princeton pretty much every year is one of those teams that it's virtually impossible to just blow out of the gym. I'll bite and say Duke 83, Princeton 67.

mgtr
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I hope so, and I expect Duke to win more or less comfortably. But with their remarkable discipline and better than expected personnel, Princeton pretty much every year is one of those teams that it's virtually impossible to just blow out of the gym. I'll bite and say Duke 83, Princeton 67.

I would say that wilson is pretty close to the mark. I'll buy that final score.

mepanchin
11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't really think we're talking about a Princeton team like in the past that had the experience and discipline to play their tempo. Duke will trap and pressure, and cause way more turnovers than Iona or Central Connecticut could possibly cause. I'd be shocked if Princeton scored over 60.

heath_harshman4
11-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Duke-87
Princeton-62

Lots of fast break points, hopefully Zoubek gets in the double digit rebounds, King hits some 3s, and Paulus keeps the Turnovers down...

Jumbo
11-18-2007, 10:42 PM

Princeton was 11-17 last year, including 2-12 in the Ivy League. They've gone through a coaching change and are trying to get back to the level they're accustomed to, but right now the Princeton you're envisioning doesn't exist.

SilkyJ
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I don't really think we're talking about a Princeton team like in the past that had the experience and discipline to play their tempo. Duke will trap and pressure, and cause way more turnovers than Iona or Central Connecticut could possibly cause. I'd be shocked if Princeton scored over 60.

Princeton was 11-17 last year, including 2-12 in the Ivy League. They've gone through a coaching change and are trying to get back to the level they're accustomed to, but right now the Princeton you're envisioning doesn't exist.

gotta agree with both here. i recall reading/hearing somewhere that they were one of the, if not the, lowest scorers in college last year. and add in all the stuff jumbo said and i think we should be able win by 20+.

on another note, I would like to see zoub crack 15 min. i think his development could really help this team down the road. though i'm optimistic to this point about our main post presence of singler, lance and taylor, zoubek's development could be key this year and will certainly be for the next two after this one.

VaDukie
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Jumbo pretty much nails it. I'm hoping/expecting us to be up big at halftime (20+) and then slow it down some in the 2nd and try to develop our halfcourt offense, get Zoubek a little more involved, and save our legs for the next two days.

I think by wednesday our depth may really pay off. 3 games in 3 days is hard enough this early in the season, but with maui's legendary heat on the court you may see some very tired teams on wednesday. Assuming we make it to the title game, we could be in a very strong position.

Bob Green
11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I think by wednesday our depth may really pay off. 3 games in 3 days is hard enough this early in the season, but with maui's legendary heat on the court you may see some very tired teams on wednesday. Assuming we make it to the title game, we could be in a very strong position.

I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and it is very pleasant there in late November. Maui in November is much cooler than North Carolina in August or September. However, I agree that our depth should pay dividends in a 3 games in 3 days tournament.

Current Lahaina weather: 75 degrees at 5:45 pm HST with a high of 84 and a low of 66. http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USHI0055.html

Troublemaker
11-18-2007, 11:30 PM
FYI, Duke has opened as 22-point favorites.

SilkyJ
11-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and it is very pleasant there in late November. Maui in November is much cooler than North Carolina in August or September. However, I agree that our depth should pay dividends in a 3 games in 3 days tournament.

Current Lahaina weather: 75 degrees at 5:45 pm HST with a high of 84 and a low of 66. http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USHI0055.html

yea but people get cramps here with much greater frequency than they do elsewhere, sure 3 games in 3 days doesnt help but the climate is certainly a factor and i agree that our depth could be a difference maker if we play marquette

hondoheel
11-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Duke-69
Princeton-41

SilkyJ
11-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Duke-69
Princeton-41

no offense, but why don't u let us do the math.

dukemomLA
11-19-2007, 02:56 AM
Duke 89
Princeton 60

Carlos
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
I understand they play some sort of funny offense. I'll look into this a bit and get back to everyone.

devildeac
11-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I understand they play some sort of funny offense. I'll look into this a bit and get back to everyone.

Looks like the home page beat you to it, or did you write that preview, you sly dog:D

CDu
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
yea but people get cramps here with much greater frequency than they do elsewhere, sure 3 games in 3 days doesnt help but the climate is certainly a factor and i agree that our depth could be a difference maker if we play marquette

It's not the heat - it's the humidity. :)

Battierfan01
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Duke 82
Princeton 54

Bob Green
11-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Duke is a 23 point favorite and the over/under is 127.5 according to Vegas.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/princeton-@-duke.cfm/date/11-19-07/time/2100#J

SilkyJ
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM

hahaha, potd.

It's not the heat - it's the humidity. :)

that's why i said "climate." covering all my bases :)

Section 8
11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Did they ever get air-conditioning in the gym there? Seems like I remember alot of the cramp problems there in the past came down to the lack of climate control. Oh, and:
Duke 90
Princeton 58

elvis14
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I just realized that I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. Besides watching out game at 9:00. The Ill/ASU game is on right after. Knowing how I am, I'll have to watch that game to see who we play next. Oh well, there goes tomorrrow!

wisteria
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
The homepage description of the princetion offense makes me nervous.

Ahh...3hrs and 15 minutes to go..

AKG
11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I agree to a certain extent, but it sounds like princeton may not have the talent level. I'm excited to see how we function against a disciplined unit--I assume they are going to do everything they can to slow the pace. We should do pretty well defending against the three, and missed threes are almost as good as TOs for this offense.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 06:59 PM

The humidity there is toxic. Aids and abets the cramps.

VaDukie
11-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow, great start. Singler already with 10!

Bob Green
11-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Kyle Singler with 15 points and there are over 9 minutes left in the first half! How is the ball movement, defensive pressure, etc...? AFRTS is showing the game taped delayed so I can't watch until this evening. All commentary will be appreciated. Thanks!

Bluedog
11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Kyle Singler with 15 points and there are over 9 minutes left in the first half! How is the ball movement, defensive pressure, etc...? AFRTS is showing the game taped delayed so I can't watch until this evening. All commentary will be appreciated. Thanks!

Ball movement is great - shooting is superb. Defensive ball pressure is good - full court press. Pace is extremely fast. Everybody looks good, except Zoubek needs to finish a few put backs. We're getting lots of offensive rebounds too. Singler is unstoppable. Lance had two stupid fouls. McClure is in, which is good to see.

VaDukie
11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
We look pretty good across the board. Guys are making smart plays, we're getting good shots. etc. While we're certainly playing well, we can't draw too much from this game because princeton is making nc central look like carolina.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-19-2007, 09:40 PM
This reminds me of one of those games against the EA Sports All-Stars.

YmoBeThere
11-19-2007, 09:45 PM
over/under is 127.5 according to Vegas.

We may get to 127 all on our own...

I take that back, pace is too slow for that kind of score.

7duke4
11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Singler is amazing!

Lord Ash
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Damn, I am shocked by how much the announce team wrote off the Tigers! Ha!

We are really, really talented and athletic. Kyle looks just so polished, and Jon looks FANTASTIC.

BTW, how did Brian miss that dunk? Seriously? I am a 5'7 guy and I can dunk the ball about as well as he can:)

wilson
11-19-2007, 09:56 PM
...with their remarkable discipline and better than expected personnel, Princeton pretty much every year is one of those teams that it's virtually impossible to just blow out of the gym. I'll bite and say Duke 83, Princeton 67.

Ummmm, so I stand corrected. I know this Princeton team is down a bit, but yeesh. 52-31 at halftime (after, frankly, a fairly sloppy last 8 min. or so of the half). Our boys are legit!

One nervous question: Do we have any chance of witnessing more than one season of Kyle Singler in a Duke uni?

Cavlaw
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm hopeful I'll get in front of a TV for the second half...