PDA

View Full Version : All-Alum Coaching Staff

gw67
11-17-2007, 09:11 AM
With the hiring of Joe Harrington, all four members of the Terps' coaching staff attended Maryland. I suspect that this has happened before in the ACC but I cannot think of the case. IMO, this is a good hire. Joe was an assistant for Lefty when I attended several games in the 70's and was a successful head coach at George Mason and Long Beach before hitting the wall at Colorado. He has lived in the area for several years and has been active in various university activities.

gw67

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
With the hiring of Joe Harrington, all four members of the Terps' coaching staff attended Maryland. I suspect that this has happened before in the ACC but I cannot think of the case.

You jest, right?

JasonEvans
11-17-2007, 09:48 AM
While Duke does not have this now, I suspect that there is an excellent chance this will happen at Duke when (sadly) K leaves. I'd expect JD or one of K's other former players to follow him as coach at Duke and I would imagine that former Duke players would be the likely assistants too.

Sidney Lowe currently has Monte Towe as an assistant but his other 2 assistants are former Pitt Panthers (Larry Harris and Pete Strickland). Roy has a bunch of Kansas dudes working for him (and one Navy grad too, I think).

To make this happen it really takes a coach who has been at a school a long time who is also an alum of that school.

-Jason "alums coaching their alma mater are rarer than you might think in the major college ranks" Evans

gw67
11-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Ozzie - When I initially typed the post, I stated that I doubted that this had happened before but then I got to thinking that perhaps Jones at Virginia had an all Cavalier staff and I couldn't remember. That's why I changed it to "suspect".

gw67

Carlos
11-17-2007, 11:04 AM
You jest, right?

I suspect Ozzie was going to mention Duke, forgetting about the guy in the main chair.

Jeffrey
11-17-2007, 05:46 PM
While Duke does not have this now, I suspect that there is an excellent chance this will happen at Duke when (sadly) K leaves. I'd expect JD or one of K's other former players to follow him as coach at Duke ....

Hi Jason,

My money is on Wojo.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

OZZIE4DUKE
11-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I suspect Ozzie was going to mention Duke, forgetting about the guy in the main chair.

Guilty as charged. Sorry. Was distracted by the horrible thing I was watching on TV.

Karl Beem
11-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Me too.:rolleyes: