PDA

View Full Version : BCS now what?

throatybeard
11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
The Ducks laid an egg (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3113347) at sub-.500 Arizona last night.

I'm beginning to wonder if a 2-loss team will make the championship game.

Wander
11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Looks like LSU vs whichever of Kansas/Oklahoma/Missouri survive the Big 12 for right now.

Troublemaker
11-16-2007, 12:54 PM
To be fair to Oregon, their egg-laying came only after Dixon went down with the knee injury and Brady Leaf put on a horrific QB'ing display in relief. Prior to Dixon's injury, Oregon looked like they were going to roll.

Wouldn't shock me to see a 2-loss team play for the MNC, either. I think all the 1-loss teams have at least one tough game remaining. Still a ton of permutations for the title game.

wilson
11-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I want to see LSU lose (in the SEC title game, I guess), if only because they've been among the favorites for several years now, and because it would make things really crazy.
Would definitely like to see Kansas get a shot at it, but it seems they'll really have their hands full with Missouri (on a neutral field) and then in a potential Dr. Pepper Big 12 Championship Game matchup with Ooooooooklahoma.
I definitely don't want Ooooooooooklahoma to end up in the title game though, so I guess that leaves me rooting for the winner of the Missouri/Kansas game on Dec. 1. Presumably, they would meet either LSU, West Virginia (if they win out), or Ohio State (assuming they beat Michigan). I wouldn't be terribly excited about either of those teams either, though. I guess the upshot of the whole thing is...dayum. What a mess.

On a side note, Mark Mangino (Kansas' head coach) is rather large.
http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/mangino_t450.jpg

hurleyfor3
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
OK, Throaty, I'd love to know how this is on-topic.

wilson
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM

Well, Mangino is kind of shaped like a basketball, so...

rthomas
11-16-2007, 01:50 PM
My senario:
This week
OSU loses to Michigan
Okla loses to Texas Tech

Next week
Missouri loses to Kansas
Oregon loses to UCLA

In the conference championship
LSU loses to whoever (Georgia?)
Kansas loses to Oklahoma

NCAA championship game: WVU against anyone

allenmurray
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Mangino isn't as big as that picture makes him look. What most people don't realize is that in that photo he has two offensive lineman, a soda vendor, and three cheerleaders hidden under his sweater vest.

throatybeard
11-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Sports that Duke plays are on topic. Duke is, despite all appearances, in I-A football. Unless the Duke-ND loser gets voted off the island.

The NBA is on topic because Duke basketball players are in the league.

Other sports (everything professional except NBA) go on the off-topic board.

throatybeard
11-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Mangino isn't as big as that picture makes him look. What most people don't realize is that in that photo he has two offensive lineman, a soda vendor, and three cheerleaders hidden under his sweater vest.

Also, the camera adds ten pounds.

riverside6
11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Also, the camera adds ten pounds.
as the joke goes...

how many cameras were on him then?

Olympic Fan
11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I watched the Oregon-Arizona game last night (aside from quite a few look-ins to college hoops). It really illustrated how valuable Dixon is -- when he was in the game, the Oregon offense went through the Arizona defense like a hot knife through soft butter. With Leaf at QB, they looked like the Duke offense in green and white uniforms.

Happy to see another monkey wrench thrown in the BCS machinery. I hate the system and think we'll get a playoff is if enough power conferences get screwed enough.

I understand that you can construct scenarios that put a two-loss team in the BCS title game, but I think that's unlikely. Right now, we have unbeaten Kansas, followed by (in BCS order) one-loss teams LSU, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Ohio State (and isn't Arizona State still with just one loss?). I think it's very probable that one of the Big 12 teams makes it through with one loss (or, in case of Kansas, less). Out of LSU, West Virginia and Ohio State -- at least one should make it without another loss.

I'd love to see a lot of one-loss teams and no unbeatens* -- that would be the biggest mess and I'm all for messing up the BCS.

*Hawaii doesn't count ... they're not in the mix. Especially since they could lose tonight at Nevada with their QB banged up or next week when they play Boise State.

wilson
11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
*Hawaii doesn't count ... they're not in the mix. Especially since they could lose tonight at Nevada with their QB banged up or next week when they play Boise State.

They're gonna lose tonight. Put it down. They've already dodged a bunch of bullets this year, and they're up against another pretty solid team tonight in Reno. Hawaii always looks rather pedestrian on the road, and Nevada puts up something like 46 PPG at home. Wolf Pack takes it...and you can also take it--to the bank.

Troublemaker
11-16-2007, 05:08 PM
They're gonna lose tonight. Put it down. They've already dodged a bunch of bullets this year, and they're up against another pretty solid team tonight in Reno. Hawaii always looks rather pedestrian on the road, and Nevada puts up something like 46 PPG at home. Wolf Pack takes it...and you can also take it--to the bank.

That Nevada QB is a future first-round draft pick, I think. He's so strong-armed and fast and young; I think he's just a RS frosh. Still, besides him, that team is pretty darn slow so HI should put up a lot of points as well. From what I've read, the HI team might be galvanized by the injury to Brennan and rally around him and you don't want to see a bunch of mean, hard-hitting Samoans galvanized. Should be an entertaining game.

STLDukeFan4
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Come on MIZZOUUU...I was pumped to see Oregon lose..now all Mizzou needs to do is beat Kansas, then take it to Oklahoma in the big 12 champ. game. They should have beat Oklahoma the first time they played them, and that was even in Norman. I think that a neutral field would mean a Mizzou W....hopefully...

throatybeard
11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Come on MIZZOUUU...I was pumped to see Oregon lose..now all Mizzou needs to do is beat Kansas, then take it to Oklahoma in the big 12 champ. game. They should have beat Oklahoma the first time they played them, and that was even in Norman. I think that a neutral field would mean a Mizzou W....hopefully...

I wouldn't be looking past Kansas State. Mizzou hasn't won in Manhattan since 1989.

YmoBeThere
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Given all the scenarios rthomas posted, if ASU won out, would that put them in the title game? There only loss would be to a Dixon led Oregon.

captmojo
11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm all for a Hawaii/ West Virginia match. That said....now both will probably lose.:cool:

dukerev
11-16-2007, 07:24 PM
This year is the perfect example of the need for a playoff. The team playing the best f-ball in the country right now: Georgia...who needs Tennessee to lose just to get into the SEC title game. If you're anti-LSU then root for the Vols to lose. Georgia would beat LSU right now. I guess you have a play-in playoff from the Big 12 with the next three weeks playing out vis a vis KU, Oklahoma and Mizzou.

Think of it: even if it were for an 8-team playoff there would be tons of drama right now. LSU, Georgia, KU, Oklahoma, Mizzou, WVU, Ohio State (even Michigan!), Oregon, USC, Clemson, Hawaii, and probably a few other teams would still be playing to get into the national championship tournament. If would be awesome and would make CBS, ESPN, the NCAA and colleges about a billion dollars just this year! Aaauuughghghghghgh! Stinking guys in the weird colored sport coats!

throatybeard
11-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Aaauuughghghghghgh!

Careful...that word can get in all sorts of trouble on this board.

But I agree with you completely.

captmojo
11-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Stinking guys in the weird colored sport coats!

The return from the dead.....Lindsey Nelson?:D

JasonEvans
11-17-2007, 07:58 AM

Luckily, the banks were closed when I went to drop off your pick ;)

Seriously though, Hawaii came verrrry close to dropping this game. The notion that they belong in the national title picture or really, even the BCS bowl picture seems unfair to me. If they beat Boise State next week then we can talk but until then, I am not a believer.

--Jason "Sagarin had Nevada as the #93 teams-- basically the same as Duke-- but Boise State is #28, Hawaii's first and only real test" Evans

Olympic Fan
11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I stayed up until 2:40 this morning watching Hawaii pull out another one. Some incredible clock mismanagement by Nevada, which led 26-25 and twice took over the ball at midfield in the last five minutes. Then at the end, when Hawaii was setting up for the game-winning field goal with just under a minute left (and no timeouts), Nevada's Hall of Fame coach let the clock run down to 11 seconds, then used his last two timeouts to ice the kicker.

Anyway, the Hawaii kid nailed the 45 yarder and they won 28-25 in a game where Colt Brennan played two snaps. The backup kid who went the rest of the way was pretty sharp -- something like 36 of 48 for 360 yards and 2 TDs.

All that said, I think it's a crime that Hawaii is in consideration for a BCS bowl. There are 6-10 SEC schools, at least two Big Ten Schools, at least four Big 12 schools, 3-4 Big East schools and probably 3-4 ACC teams that would be undefeated against Hawaii's schedule (5-5 Nevada at Nevada is their toughest game so far) ... okay they get Boise State at home next Friday night -- if they win that one, that would cut my list in half.

No freaking way that Hawaii deserves to even get a mention in the title mix. The way the rules are written (if they finish top 12 in BCS or top 16 ahead of one of the automatic league qualifiers) you have to give them a BCS spot. But I ain't buying what they're selling.

wilson
11-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Luckily, the banks were closed when I went to drop off your pick ;)

Seriously though, Hawaii came verrrry close to dropping this game. The notion that they belong in the national title picture or really, even the BCS bowl picture seems unfair to me. If they beat Boise State next week then we can talk but until then, I am not a believer.

--Jason "Sagarin had Nevada as the #93 teams-- basically the same as Duke-- but Boise State is #28, Hawaii's first and only real test" Evans

Right...there's a reason I don't gamble. At any rate, I think last night's game illustrated the point of this discussion, which is that Hawaii, while a nice story and a solid team, is by no means a national championship-caliber squad.
And I still expect them to lose to Boise State. Count on it.;)

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 02:14 PM
So the new BCS rankings are out, LSU 1, KU 2, WVU 3, and MU 4.

Since I cheer for West Virginia. I was hoping Tennessee would lose. (Thanks a lot, Vandy kicker and defense). West Virginia may need another LSU loss, to get into the top 2. Most of the pundits think that would be more likely if they face UGA in the SECCG. WVU's postion is vulnerable, becuase they need KU to lose, but if MU does it, they may leapfrog WVU.

I wish I had tickets to the MU-KU game. I hear the scalpies are really steep.

MulletMan
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
So the new BCS rankings are out, LSU 1, KU 2, WVU 3, and MU 4.

Since I cheer for West Virginia. I was hoping Tennessee would lose. (Thanks a lot, Vandy kicker and defense). West Virginia may need another LSU loss, to get into the top 2. Most of the pundits think that would be more likely if they face UGA in the SECCG. WVU's postion is vulnerable, becuase they need KU to lose, but if MU does it, they may leapfrog WVU.

I think that WVa has a pretty good shot of getting to the NC game. Obviuolsy they will be at least 3rd after this week, and I feel like the winner of this week's game will have a pretty tough time beating Oklahoma in the big12 title game. Oklahoma is a very good team and will have to be looking to salvage thier season after laying 2 eggs that cost them an NC shot.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Mullet, I think you've convinced me about LSU's D. Or rather, Ole Miss did. The worst team in the SEC hung 465 yards on LSU this weekend.

wilson
11-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Since I cheer for West Virginia. I was hoping Tennessee would lose. (Thanks a lot, Vandy kicker and defense).

Guess that makes you a Kentucky fan this Saturday (yikes). Actually a very good shot for them to beat the Vols in Lexington. I can guarantee one thing: LSU does not want to see the Dawgs on Dec. 1...they've looked fantastic recently.

Wander
11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't mind pointing out that Hawaii has a weak schedule but I do think it's funny how all the Hawaii bashers say "They're going to lose to Fresno State and then you'll see they're overrated!" Then, "they're going to lose to Nevada and then you'll see they're overrated!" Now it's Boise State.

Hawaii could very well lose to Boise State, but this team is worthy of a BCS bowl with a healthy Brennan if they go undefeated.

JasonEvans
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Guess that makes you a Kentucky fan this Saturday (yikes). Actually a very good shot for them to beat the Vols in Lexington. I can guarantee one thing: LSU does not want to see the Dawgs on Dec. 1...they've looked fantastic recently.

I think a decent argument can be made that the Dawgs are the best team in the land right now.

As an aside, WVa needs the help of OU. Unless OU knocks off the winner of KU or Mizzu, WVa will get leapfrogged and will not make the title game (unless LSU loses, which is possible).

Crazy season.

--Jason "ready for a fun one-- lets say Hawaii blows out Bosie St and then beats Washington, do they then deseve a prominent BCS berth?" Evans

rthomas
11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

Do you think they will sell out Arrowhead? That game is going to be rocking.

JasonEvans
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
What if an undefeated Hawaii knocks off Oklahoma or WVa or someone like that in the Fiesta Bowl... would there be a case for Hawaii as national champ in the writer's poll?

--Jason

Chard
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Meanwhile (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89123)

Go, App!

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Do you think they will sell out Arrowhead? That game is going to be rocking.

My friend at KU told me that not only is it sold out, scalpies are going for $200-$1000 on Ebay.

I'd ride the train over the KC to see this if I thought I could get in for less than $100.

MulletMan
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Mullet, I think you've convinced me about LSU's D. Or rather, Ole Miss did. The worst team in the SEC hung 465 yards on LSU this weekend.

Yeah... its good to be right.

You know, the thing is that LSU very realistically could have lost THAT game! It was, what, 24-17 with Ole Miss driving?

LSU better pray that a. That the Arkansas players don't give a poo about Houston Nutt's job, and b. That UTK beats UK, becuase I think... maybe... that LSU matches up better with UTK than with UGa. Altough, Ainge has been throwing the ball incredibly well.

Troublemaker
11-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah... its good to be right.

You know, the thing is that LSU very realistically could have lost THAT game! It was, what, 24-17 with Ole Miss driving?

LSU better pray that a. That the Arkansas players don't give a poo about Houston Nutt's job, and b. That UTK beats UK, becuase I think... maybe... that LSU matches up better with UTK than with UGa. Altough, Ainge has been throwing the ball incredibly well.

I think absolutely LSU fans should be rooting for UTK. An LSU/GA battle would be a toss-up game at-best, and I think GA would beat them.

wilson
11-19-2007, 03:28 PM
An LSU/GA battle would be a toss-up game at-best, and I think GA would beat them.

It's a tossup on a neutral field. In the Georgia Dome, I think UGA gets the easy nod as favorite (still of course no guarantee...LSU has also looked incredible at times this season).
Dawgs could be absolutely sick next year.

Channing
11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
I sincerely hope that Hawaii does not make a BCS bowl . . . even if they do beat Boise. Hawaii's SOS is 120. That is atrocious. I am not sure how that even works since there are only 119 teams in D-1 football . . . but thats what CBSSportsline says (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/119). College football is largely about record, but it has to be about more than that as well. They are undefeated, and still only ranked 15 in the BCS. Hopefully they dont jump into the top 14 and get an automatic bid if they beat Boise.

Troublemaker
11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
It's a tossup on a neutral field. In the Georgia Dome, I think UGA gets the easy nod as favorite (still of course no guarantee...LSU has also looked incredible at times this season).
Dawgs could be absolutely sick next year.

Next season, with what Georgia, Florida, and Auburn have coming back, the SEC will be ridiculous again.

ugadevil
11-19-2007, 04:05 PM
UGA still has a shot at playing in the national championship game. All we need to have happen is a few little things:
-UK beats Tenn., then UGA handles Ga. Tech and goes on and beats LSU
-Mizzouri beats KU, then loses to Oklahoma
-WVU loses to UConn
-Arizona State loses to USC

If those few things happen, Dawgs vs. Ohio State in the National Championship! And another SEC team will dominate Ohio State in the championship. Keep hope alive!

Channing
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
UGA still has a shot at playing in the national championship game. All we need to have happen is a few little things:
-UK beats Tenn., then UGA handles Ga. Tech and goes on and beats LSU
-Mizzouri beats KU, then loses to Oklahoma
-WVU loses to UConn
-Arizona State loses to USC

If those few things happen, Dawgs vs. Ohio State in the National Championship! And another SEC team will dominate Ohio State in the championship. Keep hope alive!

If UGA defeats a 1 loss LSU team in the national championship they may not even need WVU to lose. They may be able to hop tOSU. UGA will have such a stronger schedule than tOSU by that time that the computer advantage might be enough to hop them and take on WVU. It happened last year with UF . . .

rockymtn devil
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I sincerely hope that Hawaii does not make a BCS bowl . . . even if they do beat Boise. Hawaii's SOS is 120. That is atrocious. I am not sure how that even works since there are only 119 teams in D-1 football . . . but thats what CBSSportsline says (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/119). College football is largely about record, but it has to be about more than that as well. They are undefeated, and still only ranked 15 in the BCS. Hopefully they dont jump into the top 14 and get an automatic bid if they beat Boise.

I believe the automatic bid only comes if they reach the top 12 of the BCS. A non-BCS conference team becomes eligible for a BCS game if they make it into the top 14. You may not like to hear this, but the winner of Boise State-Hawaii will likely get a bid.

Looking at the BCS system, there are 10 spotts up for grabs, including 6 automatic bids. A team must win 9 games, and must be in the top 14 of the rankings to get an at-large bid. No conference can send more than 2 teams. Here the likely conference breakdown of bids:

Big East--1 (winner of WVU-UCONN)
ACC--1 (winner of the conference; tough to imagine any other ACC team getting in)
Big 12--2 (Conference winner and runner-up)
Pac-10-1 (Likely ASU, but possibly Oregon if they find a way to win out)
SEC--2 (LSU, and whoever wins the east assuming they stay in the top 14)
Big 10--2 (Ohio State and Illinois; the Illini are the surprise here but with the ACC essentially finishing the season with a kock-out tournament, they will probably rise above two ACC teams (between VT, UVA, BC) and Dixon-less Oregon, putting them in the top 14).

That's 9 spots with no other BCS conference teams eligible. So, the BSU/Hawaii winner will likely take that final spot.

rockymtn devil
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
If UGA defeats a 1 loss LSU team in the national championship they may not even need WVU to lose. They may be able to hop tOSU. UGA will have such a stronger schedule than tOSU by that time that the computer advantage might be enough to hop them and take on WVU. It happened last year with UF . . .

I'm not sold on Georgia. This is a team that gave up 34 to Troy, got throttled by Tenn., struggled against a bad Kentucky defense, and lost to a bad South Carolina team. They're too uneven.

Florida didn't jump Michigan last year because of SOS. They jumped Michigan because voters in the human poll flipped the Gators and the Wolverines after the SEC title game.

Troublemaker
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM

Last season UF had the same number of losses as the teams they jumped over. UGA, with two losses (one a blowout at UTK), almost certainly won't be able to hop tOSU.

ugadevil
11-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not sold on Georgia. This is a team that gave up 34 to Troy, got throttled by Tenn., struggled against a bad Kentucky defense, and lost to a bad South Carolina team. They're too uneven.

I'll admit that there are still parts of UGA's team that makes me nervous. UGA fans are all too familiar with receivers dropping passes, which they seem to have gotten over but you never know. The secondary can get beat when the front 4 don't get pressure (I think the way to solve this is for Willie Martinez to blitz every QB like he did Tim Tebow). And, I'm not sure Matt Stafford is at a point yet where he can carry this team. He still has a tendency to make dumb throws that are picked off and can kill momentum. When he just manages the game, UGA is fine because Knowshon Moreno and Thomas Brown can certainly carry the team.

However, with all the flaws, they still have had some moments that prove they're for real. They did struggle against the UK defense, but on the other hand, they did a good job of shutting down a high-powered UK offense. They did lose to a bad South Carolina team, but they beat a good Florida team. They were dominated by Tennessee, but they also dominated Auburn. If you mean uneven as far as not knowing which Georgia team will show up, I'll give you that because you never know. If you mean uneven as far as balanced attack, I'd say that this is the most balanced offensively UGA has been since David Greene and Musa Smith.

rockymtn devil
11-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Last season UF had the same number of losses as the teams they jumped over. UGA, with two losses (one a blowout at UTK), almost certainly won't be able to hop tOSU.

Good point, and we've seen this very scenario in action before. In 2001 a 2-loss Colorado team was unable to jump ahead of a 1-loss Nebraska team whose only loss was a beatdown by the Buffs in the last game of the season ("beatdown" is putting it mildly). Colorado finished that season by defeating the Huskers (who played for the title) and Texas (who would've played for the title had they won the B12 title game) and still didn't get enough SOS help.

rockymtn devil
11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
;)
However, with all the flaws, they still have had some moments that prove they're for real. They did struggle against the UK defense, but on the other hand, they did a good job of shutting down a high-powered UK offense. They did lose to a bad South Carolina team, but they beat a good Florida team. They were dominated by Tennessee, but they also dominated Auburn. If you mean uneven as far as not knowing which Georgia team will show up, I'll give you that because you never know. If you mean uneven as far as balanced attack, I'd say that this is the most balanced offensively UGA has been since David Greene and Musa Smith.

I mean "uneven" in terms of which team will show up. When Georgia is on (at Auburn) they're great; when not, they're just okay. Also--and this will probably set off a whole new debate--but I'm becoming less and less convinced of the SEC's dominance as the seaon goes on. In non-conference games, the SEC has just been okay. Tenn. got beat by a mediocre Cal team; Auburn lost at home to a mediocre South Florida team; MSU got destroyed by West Virginia; Alabama lost to Florida State and Louisiana-Monroe at home (I was in Birmingham this weekend and it wasn't pretty). This, of course, follows a bowl season in which Florida's victory was impressive, but Arkansas and Tenn lost to Wisconsin and PSU from the apparently weak B10.

rthomas
11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I believe the automatic bid only comes if they reach the top 12 of the BCS. A non-BCS conference team becomes eligible for a BCS game if they make it into the top 14. You may not like to hear this, but the winner of Boise State-Hawaii will likely get a bid.

Looking at the BCS system, there are 10 spotts up for grabs, including 6 automatic bids. A team must win 9 games, and must be in the top 14 of the rankings to get an at-large bid. No conference can send more than 2 teams. Here the likely conference breakdown of bids:

Big East--1 (winner of WVU-UCONN)
ACC--1 (winner of the conference; tough to imagine any other ACC team getting in)
Big 12--2 (Conference winner and runner-up)
Pac-10-1 (Likely ASU, but possibly Oregon if they find a way to win out)
SEC--2 (LSU, and whoever wins the east assuming they stay in the top 14)
Big 10--2 (Ohio State and Illinois; the Illini are the surprise here but with the ACC essentially finishing the season with a kock-out tournament, they will probably rise above two ACC teams (between VT, UVA, BC) and Dixon-less Oregon, putting them in the top 14).

That's 9 spots with no other BCS conference teams eligible. So, the BSU/Hawaii winner will likely take that final spot.

The Sugar Bowl two years ago was a lot of un for us here at WVU. I'm not sure I want to play Georgia again.:)

I don't mind LSU, Kansas, Missouri or Ohio State or Arizona State.

If UConn beats us, I still think we'll be an at large BCS.

juise
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Colorado finished that season by defeating the Huskers (who played for the title) and Texas (who would've played for the title had they won the B12 title game) and still didn't get enough SOS help.

And they got worked over by Joey Harrington's one-loss Ducks, who almost certainly would have put up a better fight against Miami. But I suppose that's beside the point. ;)

Speaking of the Pac-10, I have been a life-long fan of the University of Washington. While UW has not been great (or even good) this year, they did beat Boise State this year and they play at Hawaii in the last week of the season. If Jake Locker is somewhat healthy, I think UW is a formidable obstacle between Hawaii and a BCS game.

Channing
11-19-2007, 05:26 PM
If Tenn loses to LSU in the SECCG they will not likely be BCS eligible. Even if they are, it is highly unlikely they will get an at large bid over UGA.

MulletMan
11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
;)

Also--and this will probably set off a whole new debate--but I'm becoming less and less convinced of the SEC's dominance as the seaon goes on. In non-conference games, the SEC has just been okay. Tenn. got beat by a mediocre Cal team; Auburn lost at home to a mediocre South Florida team; MSU got destroyed by West Virginia; Alabama lost to Florida State and Louisiana-Monroe at home (I was in Birmingham this weekend and it wasn't pretty). This, of course, follows a bowl season in which Florida's victory was impressive, but Arkansas and Tenn lost to Wisconsin and PSU from the apparently weak B10.

Holy Moses... did I write this post? No? That means someone else is capable of being an impartial observer of the SEC and is able to rationally analyze the level of play!!! I can die in peace.

LSU - Vaunted defense actually not so hot
Florida - Who needs a RB?
Bama - UL Monroe, nough said
Auburn - Not bad, but not a title contender
UK - They're aroudn .500 now, right?
Georgia - Coming on strong late, but seriously inconsistent
Arkansas - No more Nutt... turmoil... yeesh

The SEC is good, but the same arguement that is used to build up the SEC (The SEC is soooo deep that LSU's loss to UK only proves how awesome the conference is) is the same arguement used in reverse to make points about how weak the Big 10 is (Ohio State sucks because they lost to Illinois).

C'mon... the SEC is good, and yes, several Big 10 teams are in rebuild mode, but I don't think that the gap is quite as big as many would think. Especially in a year with so much parity...

rthomas
11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Stewart Mandel in his Bowl projections assumes Kansas and LSU winning out. Then some interesting picks:

WVU versus Va Tech in the Orange. This would be a great game because VT left the BE for the ACC this was and still is a huge huge rivalry.

Sugar: Georgia versus Hawai'i WHAT?

Capital One: Michigan vs Florida I'm sorry but Michigan lost to App State - they do not deserve a Jan 1 game. But if they do they should play Hawai'i just to make it interesting. And it should be the Cotton Bowl (still in El Paso? It could be justified.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/19/bowl.projections/index.html

MulletMan
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
And it should be the Cotton Bowl (still in El Paso? It could be justified.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/19/bowl.projections/index.html

The Cotton Bowl is now, and has always been in Dallas.

rthomas
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
The Cotton Bowl is now, and has always been in Dallas.

You are correct, it's the Sun Bowl in El Paso. And that is the bowl Michigan deserves.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
SEC for entertainment purposes only is fascinating this week. UK is favored over UTK. I'm not sure that has happened in my post-preschool life. Check these lines out.

Ole Miss (+6.5) at MSU
Arkansas (12.5) at LSU
Tennessee (+3.5) at UK
Bama (+6) at Auburn.

What a mess. LSU should kill Arky but their D has been a mess, they face McFadden, and they sometimes fold ATS late. Death taxes and UK losing to Tennessee are what I know about FB. (And Duke struggling). And them you've got angry Bama off that UL-Monroe debacle going into Auburn, but with a small number. Auburn's won like 5 straight Iron Bowls.

pamtar
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
You may not like to hear this, but the winner of Boise State-Hawaii will likely get a bid.

I actually think that's great and I'll wager they stomp whomever they play. Last year's Fiesta Bowl was the best football game in decades and Colt Brennan is super dirty.

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
The Sugar Bowl two years ago was a lot of un for us here at WVU. I'm not sure I want to play Georgia again.:)

I was there, yo.

rthomas
11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I was there, yo.

And...Would you care to comment on the fake punt?

It was AWEsome!!

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Georgia had no idea.

I wear my 2006 Sugar Bowl longsleeve T every chance I get.

dukeisawesome
11-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm pulling for VT so here is what I think needs to happen:

LSU loses to Arkansas and Tennessee in the SEC Title
Kansas loses to Missouri, who loses to Oklahoma
WV loses to UConn
ASU loses to USC
Georgia loses to GT

If all that happens, VT vs. OSU is possible! Keep hope alive!

hurleyfor3
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I have nothing to say on topic, but just would like to point out this is probably the longest thread in DBR history about other people's football teams.

JasonEvans
11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
I have nothing to say on topic, but just would like to point out this is probably the longest thread in DBR history about other people's football teams.

Well, do you actually expect us to talk about our football team?

;)

MulletMan
11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, do you actually expect us to talk about our football team?

;)

We have a football team?

OK, that's wrong, but my Ozzimism has gone out the window.

I would also like to point out that I didn't think it was possible to plan out a more ridiculous scenario than I had done in my head for tOSU getting to the title game. A big thank you to dukeisawesome for making me feel less obsessed with his VT to the title game scenario! IT is awesome.

YmoBeThere
12-19-2007, 08:53 PM

So which one really earned the AP Coach of the Year award? I think one of the cheerleaders did it...