PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz article on K

mus074
11-16-2007, 12:17 PM
A decent read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3105724

rtnorthrup
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow, that made me feel good. The fact that Coach K is publicly on record as saying he really likes this team is an indication of how far they can go. No need putting expectations on them yet, but it is nice to have a refreshed coach on the sidelines.

Exiled_Devil
11-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm looking forward to more articles that aren't only about Duke, but are based on talking to Duke - the spin this year is going to different than most years - I think we will be more human in the media, rather than the recent hero/devil that has been the norm.

Exiled

riverside6
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
FWIW, Katz was on Coach K's Basketball and Beyond this week, so it is interesting that this piece happens so shortly after that. His interview wasn't exactly earth shattering, and in general one of the weaker guests K has had, in my opinion.

Billy Dat
11-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I think K was smart to re-evaluate his accessibility to the media and I have noticed the resulting big increase in articles/interviews by the national college hoops writers. Even though Duke is Duke, we're getting a lot of press for a team ranked preseason 10-15. Before Andy Katz we had the Luke Winn and Seth Davis pieces in SI.com and I am sure we can count on more before the end of the year. If we make enough noise, maybe we'll even see a piece by Da Gum Roy-lover Grant Wahl (I really like Wahl, but the guy's love of Roy is tough to take). I think this highlight's K's true greatest strength - constantly re-evaluating his approach to all facets of running the program and making adjustments as necessary.

wilson
11-16-2007, 02:22 PM
I think K was smart to re-evaluate his accessibility to the media and I have noticed the resulting big increase in articles/interviews by the national college hoops writers. Even though Duke is Duke, we're getting a lot of press for a team ranked preseason 10-15. Before Andy Katz we had the Luke Winn and Seth Davis pieces in SI.com and I am sure we can count on more before the end of the year. If we make enough noise, maybe we'll even see a piece by Da Gum Roy-lover Grant Wahl (I really like Wahl, but the guy's love of Roy is tough to take). I think this highlight's K's true greatest strength - constantly re-evaluating his approach to all facets of running the program and making adjustments as necessary.

We'll really know a sea change is afoot when we get the season's first bit of Duke love from gregg doyel (who is among the list of hated people/entities unworthy of capitalization).

Billy Dat
11-16-2007, 05:45 PM
We'll really know a sea change is afoot when we get the season's first bit of Duke love from gregg doyel (who is among the list of hated people/entities unworthy of capitalization).

GREAT call...as I was typing my post I was trying to think of all the possible writers/bloggers and forgot about the famous DOYEL! He just loves to generate controversy...his pattern is to whack us when we are up but, strangely, he doesn't seem to pile on when we are down...that's when he is more likely to write a pro-Duke column. Bottom line, if not for Duke, no one would know who Doyel is.

godukecom
11-16-2007, 11:30 PM
apologies if this has already been posted; i did not see it anywhere...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3105724&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

i think it is interesting how k is integrating parts of the game from other coaches