PDA

View Full Version : Separate Postseason Basketball Tournament

gw67
11-15-2007, 10:32 AM
One could probably see this coming after the NCAA took over the NIT and cut the number of teams from 40 to 32. The Post reports that there will be a separate 16-team postseason event. I wonder whether there will be competition for teams between this tourney and the NIT.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/14/AR2007111402156.html

gw67

Wander
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I have always wanted to know who the 98th best team in the country was.

MulletMan
11-15-2007, 10:35 AM
One could probably see this coming after the NCAA took over the NIT and cut the number of teams from 40 to 32. The Post reports that there will be a separate 16-team postseason event. I wonder whether there will be competition for teams between this tourney and the NIT.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/14/AR2007111402156.html

gw67

I saw this scrolling across the screen last night during the UNC-Davidson game. Who's playing in this thing? I mean honestly... are they going to throw a ton of loot out there to get teams to play in this Invitational over the NIT?

wilson
11-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I saw this scrolling across the screen last night during the UNC-Davidson game. Who's playing in this thing? I mean honestly... are they going to throw a ton of loot out there to get teams to play in this Invitational over the NIT?

My question exactly...I mean, they don't exactly get a lot of mileage out of the "Who got snubbed?" portion of the NIT selecion show, do they?
I would love to hear the official explanation of this tournament. Fan interest, it seems, will be terribly slim, tempering the usual "$$$" rationale.
Why, oh why do we need this?

hurleyfor3
11-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Are we sure this didn't come from The Onion?

EarlJam
11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Fan interest, it seems, will be terribly slim, tempering the usual "$$$" rationale.
Why, oh why do we need this?

Maybe it will be some kind of fusion between basketball and American Gladiators, with trap doors that open randomly on the court and pillars of fire that shoot from ceiling downward, scorching any and all in its path.

If they added elements such as those, I'd watch it.

-EarlJam

wilson
11-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe it will be some kind of fusion between basketball and American Gladiators, with trap doors that open randomly on the court and pillars of fire that shoot from ceiling downward, scorching any and all in its path.

-EarlJam

Holy crap, that would be awesome. I would pay a lot of money to watch Wichita State vs. Nitro. The "Assault" event would have to be involved though...that one was always clearly the best.

JasonEvans
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those clubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

It would sorta be like a "losers bracket" for the NCAA tourney. That is a great ide!!

--Jason "hmmm, maybe I need to look into this" Evans

Indoor66
11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those lcubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

It would sorta be like a "losers bracket" for the NCAA tourney. That is a great ide!!

Would any post-season tourney be permitted by the NCAA - relating to the issue of limitation on # of games per season?

snowdenscold
11-15-2007, 04:58 PM
If you want a good idea, have a 16 team -- or maybe just 8 teams -- tourney that is done with the teams that lose in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tourney. All those lcubs that got upset but have high profile players and programs would jump at this.

That is a MUCH better idea than having teams #98 - #113 play...

If those mediocre teams play and no one watches, did the tournament ever happen?

Wander
11-15-2007, 05:13 PM

No way man. You lose, you're done, period. I love that about the tournament. I don't want to see Kansas being rewarded for getting upset all the time. :D

EarlJam
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
No way man. You lose, you're done, period. I love that about the tournament. I don't want to see Kansas being rewarded for getting upset all the time. :D

Favorite Chronicle headline of all-time:

Duke Kicks Kans-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

-EarlJam

Channing
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM

-EarlJam

did you ever play the old NES game "Arch Rivals"? . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Rivals

wilson
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Also, let's not forget the short-lived "Slamball" on TNN:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamball

EarlJam
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM

I didn't. Looks like fun though. Of all the sports to play as a video game, I find basketball to be the most difficult.

Of course the game you allude to is more about the shenanigans, and thus would be fun to play. I said shenanigans.

-EarlJamigans

wilson
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Of course the game you allude to is more about the shenanigans, and thus would be fun to play. I said shenanigans.

-EarlJamigans

With respect to a previous thread...that's a pretty good band name, no? The Shenanigans.

EarlJam
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
With respect to a previous thread...that's a pretty good band name, no? The Shenanigans.

Agreed, but it's already taken by this meddling group of Canadians:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=72799260

-EarlJam

wilson
11-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Agreed, but it's already taken by this meddling group of Canadians:

-EarlJam

We could've won a Grammy if it wasn't for those meddling Canadians.

gw67
11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
This was even before my time but back in the early days of the NIT, it was viewed as a great opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden and I seem to recall reading that it was scheduled before the NCAA and that it was common for teams to play in both the NIT and NCAA.

The proposed 16-team tourney seems like a bad idea to me but I could see them competing against the NIT for teams.

gw67

monkey
11-16-2007, 03:43 PM
This was even before my time but back in the early days of the NIT, it was viewed as a great opportunity to play at Madison Square Garden and I seem to recall reading that it was scheduled before the NCAA and that it was common for teams to play in both the NIT and NCAA.

The proposed 16-team tourney seems like a bad idea to me but I could see them competing against the NIT for teams.

gw67

So the NIT was the Golden Globes of basketball tournements?

bdh21
11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy @#$ on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

wilson
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
So the NIT was the Golden Globes of basketball tournements?

And this new one is what, the People's Choice Awards?

wilson
11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy #$% on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

Um, I have no idea what you're talking about. My favorite restaurant with "goofy #$% on the walls" is the Vortex, but I wouldn't order mozzarella sticks there (do they even have mozzarella sticks?). If this is an inside joke or a movie quote or something, I'm sorry, but it's completely lost on me.

JasonEvans
11-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Here's a thought-- this tournament is likely to features a few teams that are not even above .500, right? I mean, the NIT generally takes most of the major conference teams that are above .500 but miss the big dance so this tourney is likely to either invite sub-.500 teams or take largely teams from smaller conferences with, therefore, smaller followings.

I just cannot see this working unless it is merely trying to make the NIT go away so it can take the NIT's place.

-Jason "I still think a tourney of 1st round losers would generate some interest-- at least as much as the NIT" Evans

Carlos
11-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I say take the 16 worst teams in college basketball and have them play a tournament. If you lose you advance and have to play again. The team that loses the last game is officially the worst team in college basketball that season.

JasonEvans
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I say take the 16 worst teams in college basketball and have them play a tournament. If you lose you advance and have to play again. The team that loses the last game is officially the worst team in college basketball that season.

Best
idea
ever!!!!!!

Just take the 16 worst from the major conferences to make it fun.