PDA

View Full Version : Rashada, i mean Rashad, McCants, explodes

SilkyJ
11-15-2007, 01:28 AM
33pts 4rebs on 13-22 shooting playin 37 minutes. biggest game of his career. not to compliment a tarhole, but i thought he was one of the most talented players at UNC I had ever seen, but obviously his attitude held him back. He had an nba ready body as a freshman and was basically as good of a shooter as JJ and had serious range. and obviously was a very good athlete and slasher.

darthur
11-15-2007, 02:30 AM
basically as good of a shooter as JJ

I always kinda liked Rashad McCants, but uh, what?

JasonEvans
11-15-2007, 04:24 AM
They are running a ton more plays for him and really trying to make him a central part of their offense this season. They blew up that team so much when they got rid of Garnett, it had to affect some guys drmatically and he appears to be one.

Last season he averaged 15 mins/game and just 5 shots/game... 1 shot every 5 minutes. He scored a paltry 5 points per game. This year his playing time has moved up to about 25 mins/game but his shots are through the roof-- 14 shots/game or more than a shot every 2 minutes. That is a huge increase in his attempts and his scoring is, obviously, waaay up as a result. He's averaging almost 19 points per game and hitting an impressive 53% of his shots. I know the season is early, but I think it is not entirely unlikely that he will continue something similar to this the rest of the year as Minnesota does not have a lot of other places to turn for offense.

As an aside-- he is hitting 50%+ of his 3s this season. He has a great stroke from the outside.

--Jason "still, I expect him at some point to hit a moody streak and be a pain in the rear for the TWolves... unless this is the year he has finally grown up" Evans

sandinmyshoes
11-15-2007, 07:24 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who thought he was as good a shooter as JJ. But the young man just does not always seem to bring the consistent effort that JJ did. He seems inclined to pouting.

Jumbo
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Damn, I was hoping the subject of the thread was literal...

Channing
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I am glad I am not the only one who thought he was as good a shooter as JJ. But the young man just does not always seem to bring the consistent effort that JJ did. He seems inclined to pouting.

I know this isnt the topic of the thread, but I honestly do not believe that McCants was nearly as good a shooter at JJ. He had a fantastic shot, but I never saw him get off his shot with 2 guys chasing him down. I watched him play a lot of games, and his shot was never as lethal as JJs. He didnt have the range to step back 5 steps behind the arc, and he couldnt just pull from any position.

He was certainly better than JJ off the bounce, probably more athletic, but I do not think he was as good a shooter.

Devilsfan
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Get Real!!!

SilkyJ
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I know this isnt the topic of the thread, but I honestly do not believe that McCants was nearly as good a shooter at JJ. He had a fantastic shot, but I never saw him get off his shot with 2 guys chasing him down. I watched him play a lot of games, and his shot was never as lethal as JJs. He didnt have the range to step back 5 steps behind the arc, and he couldnt just pull from any position.

He was certainly better than JJ off the bounce, probably more athletic, but I do not think he was as good a shooter.

First off, let me say that I dont think he was AS good a shooter as JJ, but almost.

I will agree that JJ was better at coming off screens and squaring his body in middair and dropping a J.

But McCants certainly had deep range, maybe not as deep as JJ's, but still pretty deep. He shot 40-42% from deep all 3 years of college. That's pretty darn good.

phaedrus
11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
JJ scored 27 ppg his senior year without McCants' athleticism or ability to finish in the paint. If McCants had those advantages, and is equal as a shooter, McCants would have scored 40 points per game.

monkey
11-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEe5dVsdAMM)?

Hat tip to the old "Five Questions" on the Daily Show...

sandinmyshoes
11-15-2007, 02:04 PM
JJ scored 27 ppg his senior year without McCants' athleticism or ability to finish in the paint. If McCants had those advantages, and is equal as a shooter, McCants would have scored 40 points per game.

I should clarify my statement to mean that I thought McCants was as good a three point shooter as JJ. I think their percentages were close. I also saw McCants bail out UNC with a long range three late into the shot clock more times than I want to remember.

But JJ was a much better midrange shooter in my opinion, and as others have noted much better shooter off the dribble or even the quick release after coming around a screen to catch the ball.

One advantage of Coach K's system versus UNC's system is that he doesn't create boxes for what a player should be able to do and try to keep them in it. The UNC system does that a lot. McCants could hit shots from three or even four feet beyond the arc, but that was only allowed, it would seem, as an absolute last resort. Whereas if a player like JJ could make the shot, then Coach K used that as part of the general offense.

I do not think I am being a homer about that system advantage, and there are advantages to the UNC system. I suppose everything is a tradeoff.

Zeb
11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEe5dVsdAMM)?

Always loved the clip, never knew where it was from. Thank you for sharing. Other footage from that movie is just amazing/hilarious.

hondoheel
11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
McCants was a MUCH better clutch shooter than JJ. I'm pretty sure he shot a higher percentage on 3s too. He could also elevate and shoot right over a defender. He'd have scored more if the emphasis wasn't on pounding it inside to May.

Classof06
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Co-sign

Indoor66
11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Watch for the trolling posts....

captmojo
11-15-2007, 04:56 PM

My thoughts exactly. This is why I tuned in. I don't really care what she did in a game. I was hoping to see a train wreck.:D