PDA

View Full Version : UNC vs. Davidson

zingit
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
UNC is not at the top of their game tonight. They have 9 turnovers I think, and Ty Lawson has picked up 3 fouls, only about 10 minutes into the game. Davidson is looking good!

Dav 19 vs. UNC 12. 9:11 first half.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Heels starting to take control now. They look pretty darn good on defense, and Hansbrough is starting to get Davidson into foul trouble.

loran16
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Lets not jinx this okay? No "Potential upset brewing" posts unless a team is up by double digits please.

Also, davidson is a solid team with bad shooting right now. They will be a serious challenge for us to play. It's not a game we can take for granted.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, duh. When does Duke ever take a team for granted? Especially a solid tournament team like Davidson. That said, Davidson strikes me as perimeter-reliant, especially wrt outside-shooting, so Duke would seem to be a poor matchup for them.

DukeCO2009
11-14-2007, 07:54 PM
If Davidson can start hitting their shots (they're right around 30% for the half IIRC), they can win this. Chapel Hill is shooting about 50%, so if they cool off a bit, anything can happen. Go Cats.

zingit
11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Right, I never said "potential upset brewing"; I just thought other people here might be interested in a game that features 1. two teams that we'll play, 2. two North Carolina teams, and 3. two teams that are really good. And UNC sure looked "off" in the first 10 minutes. I wouldn't be a Duke fan if that didn't make me crack a smile, at least!

And UNC has gotten a rhythm going by now, with Psycho T and Ellington leading the way. And Frasor is doing quite a nice job in Lawson's place. But it's still competitive, with the score 38-31 UNC at the half.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 08:02 PM
If Davidson can start hitting their shots (they're right around 30% for the half IIRC), they can win this. Chapel Hill is shooting about 50%, so if they cool off a bit, anything can happen. Go Cats.

UNC has a lot to do with that poor shooting percentage. Their ball pressure has been good which has caused Davidson to shoot out of rhythm. And I don't believe UNC shooting well is anomalous. Davidson seemed to get worn down towards the end of the half.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Right, I never said "potential upset brewing"; I just thought other people here might be interested in a game

Don't worry, I understood.

RelativeWays
11-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I'm watching now, has UNC tried to run much? Davidson thrives on the half court game, which is something Duke will try to avoid.

loran16
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm watching now, has UNC tried to run much? Davidson thrives on the half court game, which is something Duke will try to avoid.

They have and when they have theyve gotten easy points. Still davidson has been good at slowing em down.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, UNC has pushed as usual. Davidson actually likes to run as well (they were really high in the national rankings in pace last season).

Davidson again has played better at the beginning of the half but I wonder if they'll wear down again towards the end of the half and get into foul trouble again via Hansbrough.

Right now UNC has an interesting lineup with Danny Green playing the 4. I suspect Duke will see some of that when we match up with them as well.

RelativeWays
11-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Huckleberry Hound is fuming.

jipops
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
No surprise this game is tight. Davidson is a legit tournament team who could go far. Curry is a total bad-^$%^$%^$%.

We should be very concerned about playing this team. This will be as tough a game as we have all year.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
They're playing A LOT of Danny Green at the 4. This is Roy's adjustment for versatile forwards for this season.

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
My wife is watching Pushing Daisies. I encourage this behavior b/c I'm convinced if I tune in, Carolina will go on a 20-0 run.

arydolphin
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Davidson is a team that could go something like 26-5 this year, and get a very scary 10 or 11 seed with a team that could make the Sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

UNC is obviously rusty at this point, and Hansbrough is the only guy on that team that has any inside presence at this point. Perhaps they're going to miss Brandan Wright more than they thought they would.

Stephen Curry can play some ball, every coach in the ACC missed the boat on him. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the So-Con player of the year.

zingit
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
We should be very concerned about playing this team. This will be as tough a game as we have all year.

Yeah, this has definitely convinced me that I have to see this game. I had been on the fence before because there's an event I am supposed to go to, and want to go to, on December 1, and I was trying to decide whether to just go to the morning half and skip the afternoon half so I can see the game. I feel kinda bad doing it, and people sometimes give me sort of a weird look when I say I'm skipping something for a basketball game, but . . . that should be a great game!

Tied at 52!

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
That's a good choice. Life ain't worth living if you can't do what you want to do. Watching bball is something I wanna do.

And Danny Green has basically played this entire 2nd half at the 4. The first sign that they might miss Brandan Wright a lot.

Jumbo
11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Davidson is a team that could go something like 26-5 this year, and get a very scary 10 or 11 seed with a team that could make the Sweet 16 if they get the right draw.

UNC is obviously rusty at this point, and Hansbrough is the only guy on that team that has any inside presence at this point. Perhaps they're going to miss Brandan Wright more than they thought they would.

Stephen Curry can play some ball, every coach in the ACC missed the boat on him. I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the So-Con player of the year.

Davidson was a 13 last year, should have beaten Maryland in the Tourney, and has everyone back. I think they're much closer to being this year's Butler than a 10-11 seed (this has nothing to do with tonight's game -- I've felt this way about them since last year). Davidson will be ranked in the top-25 for much of this year, and could be looking at a seed as high as a 5 or a 6.

77devil
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Just returned to the game to hear the commentators refer to a double foul on Psycho including a technical. Anyone see what happened?

arydolphin
11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Davidson was a 13 last year, should have beaten Maryland in the Tourney, and has everyone back. I think they're much closer to being this year's Butler than a 10-11 seed (this has nothing to do with tonight's game -- I've felt this way about them since last year). Davidson will be ranked in the top-25 for much of this year, and could be looking at a seed as high as a 5 or a 6.

Jumbo,
As always, good analysis. I was saying 10 or 11 for Davidson based on the Southern Conference, though they could run the table in that conference and get a higher seed like College of Charleston did some years ago. What seed did Butler get last year? Also, the games vs. UCLA, Duke, and UNC will all help the SOS for Davidson.

The announcers are making a big deal about Davidson missing a lot of easy shots, but UNC is making a lot of silly errors. As Raftery just said, it's typical of an early-season game.

arydolphin
11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Just returned to the game to hear the commentators refer to a double foul on Psycho including a technical. Anyone see what happened?

Psycho T picked up a foul trying to get around a screen. Then the screener tried to "walk through him" as Bilas said (meaning getting excited in his face instead of walking around him), and Psycho T gave him a pretty weak shoulder into the chest. However, they gave him the tech. Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but another example of how people can get under his skin.

CameronBlue
11-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Maybe he stabbed somebody in the shower?

zingit
11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it necessarily deserved a technical. But plenty of other fouls have gone in UNC's favor, so I can't complain.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Ellington has been huge for UNC and since he's such a key for them this season, they should be happy with the outcome no matter what it is.

RelativeWays
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Well that'll do it. This will sound wierd but UNC deserves a little credit for maintaining at the end, something they failed at last year pretty badly.

juise
11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Ellington has been huge for UNC and since he's such a key for them this season, they should be happy with the outcome no matter what it is.

That stepback jumper was gorgeous, and it was a big shot for them. He definitely took it with confidence.

Troublemaker
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Well that'll do it. This will sound wierd but UNC deserves a little credit for maintaining at the end, something they failed at last year pretty badly.

Yeah. If I'm a UNC fan, I love the fact that the team just played a close game in which Ellington hit clutch shots for them to win. They "grew" more in this win than they would've had they blown out Davidson.

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I am impressed as hell with both Ellington and Lawson. I didn't see this game; I'm basing that on LY.

jipops
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I am impressed as hell with both Ellington and Lawson. I didn't see this game; I'm basing that on LY.

Ellington is great if he's put in positions where he doesn't have to make decisions. One-on-one, he's as good as anybody. Lawson penetrates at will.

Ginyard did a fine job on Stephen Curry. The heels have a great balance of star players and lunch pail guys like Ginyard and Green. Makes them very, very tough. Most top-10 teams would have lost this game.

lavell12
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
just looked through the box score and the thing i found was that Handsborough maybe the only real option inside and that UnC isn't a deep team at all. They have less Depth then the Dukies had last year, probably a better starting five but besides Green they have no real bench.

DBFAN
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
With the love affair for UNC in here, I am pretty sure they have their own board somewhere

VaDukie
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Heels are definitley a top 5 team, but they didn't look overwhelming. A lot of guys didn't play well (If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say Thompson was going to have a break out year...) and foul trouble hurt Lawson and T. Losing Terry and Wright definitley makes them less athletic but they're also a year older, which may be enough to push them over the top. I'll be very excited to play them this year and see how we match up.

SMO
11-14-2007, 09:47 PM
With the love affair for UNC in here, I am pretty sure they have their own board somewhere

It's actually Jay Bilas posting again and again under different names.

DBFAN
11-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! What in the world are we going to do with Jay, he was slobbering over Ellington tonight. I dont see Hubert Davis doing that for Duke during game breaks.

freedevil
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
I'll break up the love. I strongly, and in all sincerity, dislike Tyler Hansbrough.

Anyone who refers to him as "T" on this board - i.e. anything close to that ridiculous nickname he allows people to call him - needs to alter their vocabulary.

Ellington looked good... shooting over 6'1 guards.

DBFAN
11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe I am not in the loop, but what is wrong with calling him "T"

elvis14
11-14-2007, 09:57 PM
I was really hoping that Davidson would pull out that game. If they would have shot better they would have run away with it, especially in the first half. I'm not talking about contested shots, I'm talking about the many open shots and layups that Davidson missed. They played great but shot OK allowing the TarHoles to stay in the game and eventually win it.

As for Hansblahblah, I love my DVR! There was a play in the first half where Hansblahblah walked and a ghost foul was called against Davidson. I watched it a few times, seriously bad call. There was other instances where he got calls and/or no-calls. The refs love him. I love my DVR because I could back stuff up and watch plays and use slow motion, etc so I don't go howling at the TV when I'm just wrong :-)

weezie
11-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone who refers to him as "T" on this board - i.e. anything close to that ridiculous nickname he allows people to call him - needs to alter their vocabulary.

I agree.

I call him "Bangs" in honor of his awful haircut.

DBFAN
11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
I might have to refer to him as "Bangs" from now on

captmojo
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
When will current players understand that the fundamental lay-up shot employs the backboard? It's the first drill out of the locker room, for heaven's sake. Davidson missed 5 tonight.

They lost the game when at about 2 minutes left, they doubled Hansbrough out beyond the arch and he found a mate streaking for the basket. Later, Curry was fouled on a three from the corner that was down and spun out, yet no whistle, so some things never change. Speaking of things that don't change, Hansbrough still knows how to freely dance the hokey-pokey before making a move to the rim. Ellington's shooting was very impressive. Lawson is fast as lightning. McKillop is a genius.

As for the tarholes...........

THEY CAN BE RUN.:D

A fast, effective scoring team can take this baby blue bunch out.;)

freedevil
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I do not mean to sound rude, but do you think a UNC fan would ever refer to Henderson as "G" - like his teammates and coaches refer to him? No, because "G" - like many nicknames - is a term of endearment, or at least a way of suggesting that because you use a nickname for them, you are friendly with that person. I have zero such desire to be a friend of Tyler Hansbrough. I dislike him.

elvis14
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I do not mean to sound rude, but do you think a UNC fan would ever refer to Henderson as "G" - like his teammates and coaches refer to him? No, because "G" - like many nicknames - is a term of endearment, or at least a way of suggesting that because you use a nickname for them, you are friendly with that person. I have zero such desire to be a friend of Tyler Hansbrough. I dislike him.

Yeah! What HE said!!!! I'll stick with Hasnblahblah, I crack myself up with that :D

weezie
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Hansbangsbangs?

captmojo
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Hanswalker

mepanchin
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Certainly a poor early showing by UNC. It was interesting to me that UNC actually went small to adjust to Davidson instead of forcing the ball inside where they had a size advantage over the smaller Davidson team.

dahntaysdawg
11-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Certainly a poor early showing by UNC. It was interesting to me that UNC actually went small to adjust to Davidson instead of forcing the ball inside where they had a size advantage over the smaller Davidson team.

People would be jumping off bridges over how close it came to a Davidson win, but since it's UNC everyone builds up the hype. Lawson impressed someone I can't remember who said that, but if I remember correctly he went almost 40 minutes with NO assists, not sure if he ever got one. It's just kind of sad how some on this board lay into Duke over a game like this, yet it makes UNC even scarier??

dyedwab
11-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Though they didn't pull it out. They imposed the pace they wanted on the game, frustrated Carolina's player except for Ellington, and responded to well the fact that Ginyard held Curry down for most of the game.

A good college hoops game, and a good chance to see a future opponent that will be a good test for us.

RelativeWays
11-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't know about calling Hansbrough bangs, but if he bleached his hair, he'd be a more goofy version of Eminem.

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Hansblahblah is one of the least funny monikers ever.

We call him Sinead.

VaDukie
11-15-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't need a dumb nickname to convey my dislike. I'm not a Maryland fan. (Gay Gay Redick! Haha that's funny!)

Unless someone comes up with something funny and creative, I'm going to call him T to save myself from devoting the extra time of typing the other letters.

TussAgee11
11-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Speaking of Maryland - what is with all the Terping in this thread?

Team that deserved to win won, as always. Pains me to say it though.

Jumbo
11-15-2007, 01:13 AM
People would be jumping off bridges over how close it came to a Davidson win, but since it's UNC everyone builds up the hype. Lawson impressed someone I can't remember who said that, but if I remember correctly he went almost 40 minutes with NO assists, not sure if he ever got one. It's just kind of sad how some on this board lay into Duke over a game like this, yet it makes UNC even scarier??

I said it already in this thread, but it bears repeating: Davidson is a really good team. If anyone thought Duke's game against them would be easy, that misperception should certainly be cleared up by now.

SilkyJ
11-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Hansblahblah is one of the least funny monikers ever.

We call him Sinead.

agreed. in my household its been shortened to just blahblah.

I said it already in this thread, but it bears repeating: Davidson is a really good team. If anyone thought Duke's game against them would be easy, that misperception should certainly be cleared up by now.

haha, nice addition to your description...

JasonEvans
11-15-2007, 05:26 AM
I've been trying for a while to get folks to jump on my nickname for the Carolina big man... I call him Hasbro.

Cause he is a child's toy... get it?

--Jason "nevermind" Evans

Uncle Drew
11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Tyler Hansblubblub, because after Henderson busted him in the mouth last year all he could say was, "blub blub" acting like he wanted to fight.

(rest of post redacted)

Bob Green
11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
James Worthy........James Unworthy

I would never equate the term unworthy to James Worthy. He was a dominant athlete. Everyone makes a big deal out of Michael hitting the game winning shot in the 1982 National Championship game against Georgetown but make no mistake James Worthy was the leader and best player on that team. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and James Worthy deserves much credit.

sandinmyshoes
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM
It is early in the season to draw many conclusions. Is UNC that disjointed? Is Davidson that good?

It does look as if UNC will be as good as Lawson and their three point shooting will take them. Thompson looked really bad considering all the stories about how he has improved. Stephenson looked better than Thompson.

Hansblahblah was Hansblahblah. Relentless in the paint but practically clueless about passing out of double teams. I have to say, though, that all this whining about his travelling is juvenile and just an indication of how frustrating his effectiveness is for us and fans of teams other than UNC.

I also have to give Roy Williams some credit. I suspect his team will learn more about themselves and improve upon it by playing Davidson in Charlotte, than our team will have learned from playing NCCU in Cameron.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
It is early in the season to draw many conclusions. Is UNC that disjointed? Is Davidson that good?

It does look as if UNC will be as good as Lawson and their three point shooting will take them. Thompson looked really bad considering all the stories about how he has improved. Stephenson looked better than Thompson.

Hansblahblah was Hansblahblah. Relentless in the paint but practically clueless about passing out of double teams. I have to say, though, that all this whining about his travelling is juvenile and just an indication of how frustrating his effectiveness is for us and fans of teams other than UNC.

I also have to give Roy Williams some credit. I suspect his team will learn more about themselves and improve upon it by playing Davidson in Charlotte, than our team will have learned from playing NCCU in Cameron.

^ Agreed on all points.

Carolina lost to Santa Clara on opening night the year they won the NC. They will get better. But their outside shooting may ultimately be their downfall (as well as foul trouble for Hasbro).

I especially agree with the point that UNC learns more playing at Davidson than us playing all home games against these teams. Duke is, um, unpopular in a lot of places and come tourney time, you want to be ready to face adversity when the crowd is strongly against you. Carolina did what it needed to do, and Davidson had some costly mistakes down the stretch.

They will both improve for having played this game.

Duvall
11-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I especially agree with the point that UNC learns more playing at Davidson than us playing all home games against these teams. Duke is, um, unpopular in a lot of places and come tourney time, you want to be ready to face adversity when the crowd is strongly against you.

Duke will play this very team on the same floor in two weeks.

elvis14
11-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I just checked the box score. Davidson was 4 of 22 (18.2%) from beyond the arch. That's what saved UNC because many of those 22 were wide open threes. After watching last nights game, I'm really looking forward to the Davidson game now. This helps Duke, we will not be taking Davidson lightly.

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I just checked the box score. Davidson was 4 of 22 (18.2%) from beyond the arch.

I gotta say that is some mad range. I bet even JJ can't hit 4 out of 22 from there when the rim is in Charlotte.

rsvman
11-15-2007, 10:14 AM
My 10-year-old son calls him "Frog-face." Take a look at him next time and the reason becomes obvious. He asked me just the other day, "Is frog-face still on their team?" He came up with the name of his own volition. It kinda makes me laugh.

I disagree with the poster who said the talk about his travelling is terping. Do you watch any of the games? The man travels more than Charles Kurault (and I'm showing my age using that reference). I've toyed with "Hanstravel" but it's unsatisfying. I've taken to replacing "Tyler" with "Travel." We've also extrapolated somewhat, on occasion, to "Hansyaddayadda," which is also slightly amusing if you're in a weird mood.

allenmurray
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Tyler Hansblubblub, because after Henderson busted him in the mouth last year all he could say was, "blub blub" acting like he wanted to fight.

Other favorites:
Ed Cota......Ed Kotex
Rasheed Wallace.......Rasheed "Can't Read" Wallace (Works with JR Can't Read too.)
Dante Calabria........Dante Chlamydia ("Honey we can't have sex tonight I have Calabria" just too easy.)
Jerry Stackhouse.........Jerry Crackhouse
Raymond Felton.......Raymond Felthim
Eric Montross......Eric Monstrosity
James Worthy........James Unworthy

I have one for Jeff Lebo too, but it would offend women of a certain sexual orientation.

Even as someone who hates carolina as much as anyone on this board, I found most of your nicknames offensive.

Wander

Did someone really say they were impressed with Lawson in this game? God I hope not.

Ellington on offense and Ginyard on defense won the game for UNC.

Indoor66
My 10-year-old son calls him "Frog-face." Take a look at him next time and the reason becomes obvious. He asked me just the other day, "Is frog-face still on their team?" He came up with the name of his own volition. It kinda makes me laugh.

I disagree with the poster who said the talk about his travelling is terping. Do you watch any of the games? The man travels more than Charles Kurault (and I'm showing my age using that reference). I've toyed with "Hanstravel" but it's unsatisfying. I've taken to replacing "Tyler" with "Travel." We've also extrapolated somewhat, on occasion, to "Hansyaddayadda," which is also slightly amusing if you're in a weird mood.

I agree. He "walks" constantly. IMO he also constantly bumps and pushes on the inside - beyond the amount usually tolerated by the refs.

JStuart
11-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but playing in the Charlotte Coliseum (3rd incarnation, I think) wasn't much of a home game for Davidson, whose student body is roughly 1600. To paraphrase a statement about Duke alumni, there are probably more UNC fans in Mecklenburg county than Davidson fans/alums in the world. Now had the 'Cats played on campus, where there may have been only a few UNC fans, maybe some of those rimmed-out shots woulda dropped, ya know?
JStuart, DC '72.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Duke will play this very team on the same floor in two weeks.

Thanks, Duvall. That is good news IMO.

dukelion
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Davidson is a solid team but UNC was very sloppy in their half court O and are not the same team as last year in transition or on defense.

I can't beleieve that the national media doesn't take into account all the players UNC lost coming into this season.

Wright and Terry were their 2 most athletic players hands down and Wes Miller (in limited minutes) was clearly thier best 3 baller. Wright also shot almost 70% from the field! That's insane......and as evidenced last night Thompson and Stephenson won't be putting those tyes of percentages.

In total UNC lost approximately 28 points, 14 boards, and 3 blocks a game from last year and replaced that with.........William Graves?

Their bench simply doesn't have the fire power it did last year and with out Wright and Terry their defense clearly is worse....as is their athleticism which shows up in the lack of fast break points.

Davidson missed loads of wide open threes and had many baskets of the layup variety.

Furthermore, UNC isn't going to be a consistent 3 point shooting team. Ellington (who played great) is streaky but still is their best 3 point option. After him......maybe Green and Frasor? And that's it! Lawson is an awful 3 baller and Ginyard is even worse. Has Q Thomas even attempted a 3 ball in his previous 3 seasons?

Bottom line is that they lost more than they replaced from last season and will be a worse defensive team and offensive team as a result.

DBFAN
11-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I am glad to see someone that agrees with me about the tarholes, I just do not see how they are supposed to be better than they were last year, I understand they will be more mature and that does count for a lot, but that does not replace what they lost. I just do not understand why they are ranked above UCLA, they return 4 starters and bring in Kevin Love. Anyway, nothing new about the love affair the media has for UNC. When Duke plays Davidson it will not be the same, Duke's bench will just tire them out, that is the only thing that helped them last night was having a slightly deeper bench that UNC. By the was what is up with VMI do they always score that many points, are they that good?

Constantstrain 81
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I watched the game as well. UNC will be good, but I don't really see them as head and shoulders above the ACC, let alone the nation. I respect the team and the coach (although I hope that they lose every game in embarassing fashion).

Now let me say this - just my humble opinion. Tyler H is a hard-working player. I respect him and his game. If he wanted to transfer to Duke, I'd take him in a heartbeat. That said, how can he get so many calls? I'd like to think I'm objective, but c'mon. It seems like he gets the ball, shuffles around, and heads to the line. Now, I know that he doesn't call the fouls, so I won't blame him. But ... how does he get the calls? I tell you, I was shocked when he got the ticky-tack foul and technical (happy, but shocked) in the second half. Did the official have a momentary vision and believe he was watching Taymon out there?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

elvis14
11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I gotta say that is some mad range. I bet even JJ can't hit 4 out of 22 from there when the rim is in Charlotte.

LOL, maybe the problem with Davidson's shooting was that they were chuckin' it from St. Louis!

Did someone really say they were impressed with Lawson in this game? God I hope not.

Ellington on offense and Ginyard on defense won the game for UNC.

Wander speak the truth. Ellington really looked good. Especially the step back midrange jumper he hit late was sweet (sadly). Although I wasn't impressed with UNC as a #1 team, I don't think I'll say much until I see how we look against Davidson.

Go Duke! 9F

JBDuke
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
... By the was what is up with VMI do they always score that many points, are they that good?

VMI's coach runs a very up-tempo, high scoring offense. Something like what Paul Westhead ran at Loyola-Marymount back in the late 80's-early 90's. They had a kid come through there a few years ago that probably could have played at a high-major or better team (forgotten his name...), and he lead Division I in scoring for a couple of years, IIRC. The formula has lead to mixed success; VMI is 1-2 so far this year, with losses to Dartmouth and Northern Colorado, even though they're averaging better than 100 pts a game. But for sure, it leads to some exciting games. They're a whole lot more fun to watch than some low-major team with a mediocre record ought to be.

captmojo
11-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Was this really a home game for Davidson? Boy, you could'a fooled me!:confused:

Yeah, Lawson's good. Speed on defense is his best suit.;)

You who don't think Hansplop walks with the ball should put that VCR in slo-mo and pay attention. Maybe a few referees should join in the viewing. His foul came from hand-checking his man, and when Lovedale (I think that's right) walked away from the foul he bumped Hasbro and was greeted with a low blow elbow from him. Tech called - tech deserved.:cool:

Wander
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't think I'll say much until I see how we look against Davidson.

You know for some reason Davidson doesn't really play well against us, even when they have a good team. It's probably because our three point defense is always excellent and it's one of the trademarks of Duke basketball that doesn't really get a lot of hype. We crushed Davidson last year.

I'm not trying to be cocky or anything, but I don't think they match up well against us.

I don't think they're going to spend the year in the national rankings. Their only games against major opponents are UCLA, Duke, and NC State. I think it would have been wiser for Davidson to schedule games against teams like Georgia Tech, California, FSU, etc. With one game against a national power - I don't think there's any reason for them to play all three of UCLA, UNC, and DUke. They're a little bit over their head with their schedule.

JBDuke
11-15-2007, 05:34 PM

I think it's sad that in three years of trying to come up with a derogatory nickname for Mr. Hansbrough, the collective effort of the Cameron Crazies and this board can do no better than "Hansblahblah", but a 10 year old scores the biggest hit.

My new nickname for Tyler: Frog-face.

Congrats, rsvman! I hope you're son is in the stands in Cameron in 8 years. He's got a promising future! :)

Battierfan01
11-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I really like the frog-face nickname as well. I have always called him Hansbug, because he has those big ol' bug eyes. Maybe this is why his contacts are always falling out during the games.

bf01

mepanchin
11-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree with Wander. Davidson wins by playing smart and shooting lots of 3s. UNC had almost no ball pressure and Davidson protected the ball well. We will need to disrupt their offense from the point guard on, have someone always shadowing Curry (do you think Curry can run around screens all day with Scheyer, Nelson, and Henderson chasing him in shifts?) and shoot well, and we should win pretty handily. Curry hasn't had a good track record against bigger, quick defenders (DJ Strawberry, Nelson last year, Ginyard...)

sandinmyshoes
11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Was this really a home game for Davidson? Boy, you could'a fooled me!:confused:

Yeah, Lawson's good. Speed on defense is his best suit.;)

You who don't think Hansplop walks with the ball should put that VCR in slo-mo and pay attention. Maybe a few referees should join in the viewing. His foul came from hand-checking his man, and when Lovedale (I think that's right) walked away from the foul he bumped Hasbro and was greeted with a low blow elbow from him. Tech called - tech deserved.:cool:

This is so embarrassing. Both that Duke fans would be reduced to terping, and that I would be reduced to defending (ugh) Hansblahblah.

Has he ever travelled and gotten away with it? Of course, so have a lot of players. Does he get away with it more than most? Maybe. Does he get away with it nearly as much as these VCR -- VCR? You still have a VCR? -- experts claim? No.

I can be in a sports bar or at home with fans from NCSU or Duke and Hansblahblah will make a move and the screaming starts. He walked! He walked! And I am perplexed, since the camera did not even show his feet.

But that is it for me. No more defending Hansblahblah. Sink to the level of the terps all you want, it simply is not worth feeling unclean over.

TrueBlue9232
11-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Did a few people fail to look at UNC's schedule to notice fluffers from Iona and South Carolina State coming up?

But really, let's worry about who's playing who come January and February when the ACC schedule starts and the wheat is separated from the chaffe.

captmojo
11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
This is so embarrassing. Both that Duke fans would be reduced to terping, and that I would be reduced to defending (ugh) Hansblahblah.

Has he ever travelled and gotten away with it? Of course, so have a lot of players. Does he get away with it more than most? Maybe. Does he get away with it nearly as much as these VCR -- VCR? You still have a VCR? -- experts claim? No.

I can be in a sports bar or at home with fans from NCSU or Duke and Hansblahblah will make a move and the screaming starts. He walked! He walked! And I am perplexed, since the camera did not even show his feet.

But that is it for me. No more defending Hansblahblah. Sink to the level of the terps all you want, it simply is not worth feeling unclean over.

Yes I still have VCRs. Several. How many? Too damn, but they work. Work well enough to know that when I see the frog-face-two-step, I can call it what it is.

It's not too late. You too can be part of the replay revolution. All it takes is a recording device of your own choosing and a pair of working eyes. Heck, I saw UConn Huskies dancing on nearly every pass reception tonight against Gardner-Webb. Many were uncontested, 30 feet away from the basket.

Oh, I call a spade, a spade. Terps ain't got a damn thing to do with me. I don't have anything against them. I wouldn't want to get that close.

Sorry to be profane. My blood pressure is up.

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 09:56 PM
There's something rotten brewing
You can see it in Patrick Ewing...

captmojo
11-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll hush now. I feel better.