PDA

View Full Version : Updates to DBR HPR -- a poll

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm coming under all sorts of attack for having compiled the pocket reference. I want to remind people that I wrote all drafts of that thing before J/B selected me to be a mod on the new board. There's a lot of misinformation going around that a moderator wrote that HPR, and that's not really true. I wasn't a mod when I wrote it, nor even when the most recent update occured, which was on James' software.

That said, I had planned to update the thing over this Thanksgiving.

I'm setting up a poll to see whether the community think I should do that. I see no sense in expending the effort if it's simply going to result in reprisal and acrimony.

Vote away.

Lord Ash
11-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Absolutely update it! It is VERY funny, and more often than not spot on:)

I don't think that any problem associated with the Guide is REALLY a problem with the Guide, per se; I think the only possible problems are when people take the guide to mean that an issue is dead.

mapei
11-14-2007, 07:00 PM
throaty, I absolutely loved the HPR when you did it, because I saw it as your providing us with a gentle way of laughing at ourselves and with ourselves. As long as it's used in that spirit and not in an accusatory or condescending way, I say let's keep it and enjoy it. It is seriously clever.

bdh21
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Well I was about to suggest adding an update to cover this latest brouhaha... until i realized it has already been thoroughly cataloged! 14a,b,c,d,e,i,j!

feldspar
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
throaty, I absolutely loved the HPR when you did it, because I saw it as your providing us with a gentle way of laughing at ourselves and with ourselves. As long as it's used in that spirit and not in an accusatory or condescending way, I say let's keep it and enjoy it. It is seriously clever.

Agreed.

My main worry is that this is what the HPR is slowly evolving into. Many times, I see references to the HPR in a negative manner, rather than a fun-spirited manner.

When that happens, it seems that the HPR really just becomes a parody of itself.

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Agreed.

My main worry is that this is what the HPR is slowly evolving into. Many times, I see references to the HPR in a negative manner, rather than a fun-spirited manner.

When that happens, it seems that the HPR really just becomes a parody of itself.

What "slowly evolving into?" I wrote 2/3 or the stupid thing on one night in Nov 2005. Since then it's undergone about 50 item additions, none since Jan 2007.

That's the ultimate reader-response theory there, Feld.

blazindw
11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I only say don't update it cuz it's fantastic as is.

feldspar
11-14-2007, 08:01 PM
What "slowly evolving into?" I wrote 2/3 or the stupid thing on one night in Nov 2005. Since then it's undergone about 50 item additions, none since Jan 2007.

That's the ultimate reader-response theory there, Feld.

It's use is slowly evolving into something other than what I understood its intent to be.

It was my impression that it started off as a funny way to say "Go To Hell Carolina" (9F) or sum up another poster's post with one letter and a number. To me, at times it has instead evolved into a way to criticize and belittle another poster's opinion without having to back up that criticism (ie, "Oh, here we go, another 5F")

I find the former amusing and clever. I find the latter contrary to the spirit of what we're currently being taught by the moderation team.

Lord Ash
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Hm, I think I am detecting some anti-Feldspar here.

Obviously he was not referring to the Guide itself changing; he was referring to the way the guide is referred to. I agree with his point.

SilkyJ
11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Throaty-

I think the HPR is great but and I voted "Yes" but I have two comments:

1.) its pretty long already so maybe editing and updating would be good, but I think you should "cap it" so to speak.

2.) Please add a number/letter combo for "The mods are all egotistical dictators trying to take over the world" ;)

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Throaty-

I think the HPR is great but and I voted "Yes" but I have two comments:

1.) its pretty long already so maybe editing and updating would be good, but I think you should "cap it" so to speak.

2.) Please add a number/letter combo for "The mods are all egotistical dictators trying to take over the world" ;)

1) Maybe at 200. Good idea. There are about 170some now. In the past, I deleted or refined some items.

2) Evidently.

Lavabe
11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Throaty-

Throaty: See what happens when you stop off in Atlanta for a weekend! :D

Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I voted yes, if only b/c I'm wondering what Throaty can throw in this time around that would top 15d in terms of coffee-snarfing impact.

(15d - Sweet tap-dancing Moses, did you see what Sylvia Hatchell was wearing?)

merry
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
It was my impression that it started off as a funny way to say "Go To Hell Carolina" (9F) or sum up another poster's post with one letter and a number. To me, at times it has instead evolved into a way to criticize and belittle another poster's opinion without having to back up that criticism (ie, "Oh, here we go, another 5F").

I see it this way: it started as laughing at ourselves for our reptitiveness and also a funny way to say things like "Go to Hell Carolina". Then the newer posters kept getting peeved and saying "What's this code you old timers are using like 9F to make us new comers feel even more left out", so it had to be repeatedly re-posted then (on the new board) pinned. But pinning it makes it seem official and handed down from above, when really it's just supposed to be funny.

I say update it for sure, but maybe just remove the retired topics this time.

watzone
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
I see it this way: it started as laughing at ourselves for our reptitiveness and also a funny way to say things like "Go to Hell Carolina". Then the newer posters kept getting peeved and saying "What's this code you old timers are using like 9F to make us new comers feel even more left out", so it had to be repeatedly re-posted then (on the new board) pinned. But pinning it makes it seem official and handed down from above, when really it's just supposed to be funny.

Well said.

captmojo
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
you wrote it........your call

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 11:14 PM
It's really not my call. I've got Feldspar, Watzone, and a few other established posters savaging me. I meant it to be satire, originally, but people have construed it as malice, so I'm worried about anything I do with it.

feldspar
11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
It's really not my call. I've got Feldspar, Watzone, and a few other established posters savaging me. I meant it to be satire, originally, but people have construed it as malice, so I'm worried about anything I do with it.

Savaging?

You asked for our opinions, so I'm not sure what else you want from me.

And, frankly, if I wanted to be "savaging" I would have been banned again. My only desire is to make the board a better place.

Wander
11-14-2007, 11:45 PM
You're being "savaged"? You're coming under "all sorts of attack"? Really? What sorts of attack would these be? Air strikes, hit-and-run ambushes, nuclear bombs? I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Heck yes! Update it.

I love it when the newbies post asking "what is this 9F you keep referring to?" That's when most of them discover the thing!

When you google "Throaties handy pocket reference" now, here are the first two links that come up. Interesting thing is that they are my most two recent postings about it.

Link to the DBR Handy Pocket Reference [Archive] - DBR Forums
I was curious so I Googled "handy pocket reference". The right answer came up as the 4th listing. When I refined the search and asked for "Throaty's handy ...
www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Duke – Notre Dame - Page 2 - DBR Forums
Please refer to Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference, sticky'd to the top of the board, currently the second thread from the top. ...
www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=61660 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.dukebasketballreport.com ]

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 12:02 AM
You're being "savaged"? You're coming under "all sorts of attack"? Really? What sorts of attack would these be? Air strikes, hit-and-run ambushes, nuclear bombs? I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

Keep in mind I read just about every post on the King board. The mods, unfortunately and against our own collective desire, must confront just about every challenge to us, even though we don't want to do that. Feldspar, a friend of mine actually, has a desire to challenge authority at every turn, irrespective of community effect.. IMO, he's conflated with some half-arse funny thing I tossed off 2 years ago with with "edict" from the mods. (The HPR).

I like this community and I want to participate in it. As folks have pointed out, I once in a while go overboard in trying to protect it. (I think my pal Stray Gator does this too, though more eloquently than I). But lately what we've got is an atmosphere where a dozen or so malcontents want to sling figurative grenades at the mods. It's not helping.

The mods admit that we're human so we screw up, and we may err in the degree to which we participate. But I assure you every one of us values this community.

SilkyJ
11-15-2007, 02:09 AM
are we maybe taking ourselves a little too seriously? this is supposed to be fun, remember?

(not directed at you throaty)

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Now that I go back and read it, I think this is already covered by (14a), "There's violence inherent within the system. Help, help, I'm being oppressed."

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM

I may shorten that section, but I can't bring myself to remove it entirely because it contains the single item* I consider really well-crafted:

I saw Nick Horvath in summer pick-up, and he’s hitting threes blinfolded in a dark gym with 45-degree slanted rims, he’s put on 50 pounds of muscle, he schooled Boozer/SWilliams, and Angelina Jolie was seen waiting for him after practice, idling in a cherry-colored convertible.

* - That I wrote. Hurelyfor3 contributed some gems, especially:

[Player X] [should/should not] OR [will/will not, so I’ve heard] declare for the draft, and if they [do/do not] then they’re [stupid/smart]. If [Player X] is a Duke player, then we [wish him well/wish him dead] and don’t understand why folks don’t understand the value of [cash money/a Duke education].

Wander
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I think you need to calm down with the hyperbole.

Uh... I think you missed the point. Good job.

Indoor66
11-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Hm, I think I am detecting some anti-Feldspar here.

Obviously he was not referring to the Guide itself changing; he was referring to the way the guide is referred to. I agree with his point.

I always considered the Guide to have been done tongue in cheek and, as with all good humor, it has its basis in truth. IMO it has always been a compendium of common topics and common comments. It has never been a part of the day to day discourse on the Board - except Ozzie's 9F :) .

gw67
11-15-2007, 10:22 AM
throaty - I get a chuckle every time I look at it. If you have the time and want to make some additions, go ahead and update.

gw67

MulletMan
11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Update it and quit whining.

Oh wait... sorry, I love your guide and print it out ritualistically, spread the pages on the floor and then...

a. Roll around in it like a pile of money
b. Allow Cameron to take a dump on it
c. Make my friends come over and read it while walking through our house
-OR-
d. Put glue on the back and hang it on the wall like wallpaper in the ultimate homage to Throaty and other "old-timers" at DBR to remind myself of how exclusionary I can be if I really try (sarcasm, kiddies!)

billybreen
11-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Update it and quit whining.

Word unto that. The HPR definitely needs an entry like 'Moderation is a terrible cross to bear. Pity me." Then Throaty just needs to take the Ozzie approach and make that his sig.

(NB. I resigned as a moderator of the old PPB after a couple years because it's a miserable job. Especially when Feldspar is a poster.)

I love you all!

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Word unto that. The HPR definitely needs an entry like 'Moderation is a terrible cross to bear. Pity me." Then Throaty just needs to take the Ozzie approach and make that his sig.

Ah, but you forget the one and only rule of the Hand Pocket Reference, which is that we don't single out individuals. Like, for examples, people have consistently suggested several of FDA's memes get a line item. I won't do it.

billybreen
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Ah, but you forget the one and only rule of the Hand Pocket Reference, which is that we don't single out individuals. Like, for examples, people have consistently suggested several of FDA's memes get a line item. I won't do it.

What about groups of individuals? Every moderator has at one time posted (with good reason) something to the effect that it's a hard and thankless job, so this wouldn't be a Throaty-specific rule.

Update: Just re-read my rule. That should be 'Moderation is a terrible cross to bear. Pity us.'

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Now that I could see. Stick it in meta-DBR, 14K or something, "man, moderating this pooch is a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.!"

cato
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM

But don't you know? Hyperbole will save us all!

(apologies to TomL)