PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments in Duke history

DukeCO2009
11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Obviously a lot of people are going to mention certain April nights in 1991, 1992, and 2001, as well as Laettner's shot, but what about other moments? When you think of Duke basketball, what plays/games immediately come to your mind? Some off the top of my head:

1. J-Will at Maryland
2. Shane blocking Forte
3. JJ's 2nd half against State in the ACC tournament his (I think) freshman year
4. J-Will hitting the 3 against Indiana--words can't describe my euphoria, however brief it ended up being
5. Duhon at Wake

dukestheheat
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
in addition to those already listed:

1) Brickey's dunk (tomahawk) right in front of me versus the Holes at Cameron that brought The Dean off the bench to call a timeout. Even though we lost that game, Dean got rattled, which pleased ME.

2) Watching Dawkins dribble across half-court and exhaling while Mark Price realized, simultaneous to Dawkins' exhale, that Duke was going to win the ACC Regular Season.

3) The Shot. I stood on the couch, pointed at the TV, and at the top of my voice screamed 'YOU'RE A STAR!!!!!' at Christian over and over again and I couldn't stop.

dth.

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 04:04 PM
UConn's Rod (?) Sellers slamming Christian Laettner's head into the court about 12 times in the '91 tourney as retaliation for the "Special" play in 1990.

Laettner got up, laughed, and we beat them again.

-EarlJam

ugadevil
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
For some reason, the first things (other than tournament memories) that come to mind for me are dunks.

1. J.J.'s dunk against Maryland, that was a throwdown! :)
2. Corey Maggette's dunk against Florida when he slapped the backboard and got a technical. <-------the moment I became a Duke fan.
3. Dahntay Jones' dunk at Virginia on Vanderlaan. He dunked over him and then did push ups.

Channing
11-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Nick Horvath . . . DePaul . . . WOW

dw0827
11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
The shot.

An incredible game and when they scored with 2.something seconds left, I turned to my girlfriend and said "That's that." Cussed a bit because I knew that we had the potential to win it all again and be the first time since ULCA do it and told my girlfriend that a full court inbounds play with that much time works about once in a million times and that there was no way season over and the timeout is over and Grants got the ball and I get up to turn off the tv and he throws it and Christian catches the ball major miracle right there and then dribbles HE DRIBBLES???? and turns and hits the shot and I just fell down in front of the tv in a heap.

Unbelievable.

RPS
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Obviously a lot of people are going to mention certain April nights in 1991, 1992, and 2001, as well as Laettner's shot, but what about other moments? When you think of Duke basketball, what plays/games immediately come to your mind?Only games I've seen in person:

1. 1986, Final 8 v. Navy. Midshipmen unfurl terrific (and huge) Nuke Duke banner; thousands of dress whites at attention; David Robinson was spectacular but not enough; Johnny D. steals and dunks to seal the deal with cries of "Abandon Ship" echoing around the Meadowlands.
2. 7-0 game in 1979.
3. Gene Banks over Sam Perkins to send game into OT in 1981. Of course we go on to win. We learned that K could coach a bit....
4. Billy King shutting down Mark Macon, Final 8. 1988.
5. Laettner's shot ("special") off the inbounds pass (before "the shot") v. UConn, Final 8, 1990.
6. Welcoming the USC Trojans with a shower of a particular brand of condoms in 1979 (and certain Duke players grabbing handfuls...).
7. Richard Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake. Welcome Lefty. 1980.

dyedwab
11-14-2007, 04:27 PM
1) Phil Henderson's dunk over Alonzo Mourning in the 1989 Regional Finals

2) Christian's shot against UCONN in the 1990 Regional Finals

3) In 1988, Billy King shutting down (and outscoring) Notre Dame star David Rivers at Cameron

4) 1991 Senior Day v. Clemson, when for at least a half, little used reserve Clay Buckley held his own against future NBA player Dale Davis

5) Duke v. LSU, 1991 at Cameron, when Dale Brown inexplicably let Shaq guard Laettner one on one as Laettner repeatedly burned him on a dribble from outside

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 04:27 PM
1. Montross' bloody head in Duke vs. UNC '92 and days later...

2. "The Shot Gone Wrong" - At Wake Forest, Duke down with a couple seconds to go. Hill throws full-court in-bound pass to Laettner. Ball fades left. It gets fuzzy here: Laettner catches it but foot is out of bounds? Wake wins. This scenario would nearly repeat itself over a month later vs. Kentucky. Had we not learned from the mistakes of that play, "The Shot" may never have been what it was. And it was, Spectrumtacular!

-EarlJam

juise
11-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I have only been a real fan since my matriculation in 2000 and a lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I would add:

1. J.J. lights up #2 Texas at The Meadowlands (mostly because I had the pleasure of attending).

2. Duke was still #1 going into that game because of: Dockery's half-courter against the Hokies.

3. J-Will hobbles out to center court for Midnight Madness my senior year ('03-'04).

4. Duke opens up 34-2 at home against Michigan in December of 2000.

5. Shane (along with Nate, Caldbeck, and Simpson) coming out after the senior night loss to Maryland (and Boozer injury) in order to address the crazies, vowing that the team wasn't done yet.

6. Being in Cameron to watch Maryland's 22-point lead evaporate in the 2001 Final Four.

JasonEvans
11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Two great memories from 1986--

1. JD blocks David River's shot at the buzzer. It is not often a dramatic game-winning shot is blocked at the buzzer, but JD did it.

2. Someone else had lost during the week and it was Saturday and Duke would be #1 (for the first time in a looong time) if we could just beat a highly regarded Oklahoma team in Cameron. We jumped out to about a 30-4 lead or something crazy like that. It was insane. In my 4 years, I never, ever, heard Cameron that loud.

-Jason "oh, and when Grant Hill almost stepped on my foot while he threw a certain pass... but you all know that story" Evans

Kilby
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
1. The Shot
2. Dawkins backwards Dunk over Navy.
3. Phil Henderson's dunk over Alonzo.
5. Tate Armstrongs going up and arching a jumpshot over Len Elmore, who was perfectly positioned and going up to block the shot, in Cameron, and hitting nothing but net. Tate could jump.

captmojo
11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

1. JD blocks David River's shot at the buzzer. It is not often a dramatic game-winning shot is blocked at the buzzer, but JD did it.

2. Someone else had lost during the week and it was Saturday and Duke would be #1 (for the first time in a looong time) if we could just beat a highly regarded Oklahoma team in Cameron. We jumped out to about a 30-4 lead or something crazy like that. It was insane. In my 4 years, I never, ever, heard Cameron that loud.

-Jason "oh, and when Grant Hill almost stepped on my foot while he threw a certain pass... but you all know that story" Evans

You stole my thunder at #1. Rivers was popping with regularity and there seemed no doubt if he put it up, it was gonna go down. Dawkins' block totally won the game.

Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina.

Grant Hill's ally-oop to start the championship game.

grc5
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
2. Duke was still #1 going into that game because of: Dockery's half-courter against the Hokies.

3. J-Will hobbles out to center court for Midnight Madness my senior year ('03-'04).

As a recent grad, I echo the sentiments for #2 and #3.

I would also like to add:
-Chris Duhon going coast-to-coast in the Dean Dome to beat UNC with a buzzer-beating reverse layup in 2004
-Beating a heavily favored UNC at home in 2005 (loudest I've ever heard Cameron)

Turtleboy
11-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Fred Lind. "nuff said.

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Bob Harris says....

"Hurley for three..................BOTTOMMMMMMMMMMMMMS!"

Or, as CBS announcers say....

"Duke does NOT need a three, Hurley puts one up.......and makes it! Wow!"

God I loved Hurley.

-EarlJam

chrishoke
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
"Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina."

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a jumper from the top of the key.

captmojo
11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
"Robbie West's free throw to beat Carolina."

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a jumper from the top of the key.

You are correct sir. I left out the words LINE SHOT.

I left out but was thinking of Laettner's missed free throws against Arizona when he was a freshman. I think those misses were important to his future concentration on free throw shooting for the rest of his career.

rebels07
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
This isn't so much a moment, but I enjoyed watching JJ's free throw streaks, especially the record breaker

toughbuff1
11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Ricky Price's game winner at Maryland was a great moment (it got us into the NCAA's that year). Also, JJ lighting up B.C. in the ACC tourney final his senior year.

chrishoke
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM

That was a Sunday afternoon game and Al McGuire did the TV color. After watching in Cameron, I raced back to watch the tape of the TV coverage of the game. I can still hear McGuire's words as they showed slow mo replay of the block, "all ballllllllll, all balllllll"

That was my favorite Duke BB weekend ever. The night before, Duke played NC State and Chris Washburn in Reynolds coliseum. I somehow had tickets to that one also and JD won a fiercely fought game when he was fouled on a shot with 2 seconds and hit the winning free throws. Very unusual in the regular season to have a Saturday night road game and a Sunday afternoon home game. And then JD wins both at the buzzer, one with offense and one with defense.

Indoor66
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Billy King's job on Mark Macon.

Bob Green
11-14-2007, 05:32 PM
The 1968 triple overtime victory over Carolina. I was the happiest little boy in the World on that Saturday afternoon.

chrishoke
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Fred Lind. Nuff said.

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
The 1968 triple overtime victory over Carolina. I was the happiest little boy in the World on that Saturday afternoon.

When did Heyman (was it Heyman?) punch out Larry Brown (was it Brown?) in Cameron? This was obviously before EarlJam's time. But what an awesome moment. I can't cite seeing it as one of my all-time great Duke memories, but I can cite reading about it as one of my favorite Duke memories.

-EarlJam

Bob Green
11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
When did Heyman (was it Heyman?) punch out Larry Brown (was it Brown?) in Cameron? This was obviously before EarlJam's time. But what an awesome moment. I can't cite seeing it as one of my all-time great Duke memories, but I can cite reading about it as one of my favorite Duke memories.

-EarlJam

February 1961. I was only 18 months old so I can't cite it either.

Jeffrey
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi,

If we can't win but one game a season, I want it to be against UNC. IMO, this is even more important for a home game. I will never forget Mr. Capel keeping hope alive on February 2, 1995. Sure we ended up losing the game 102-100, but Jeff's shot showed that even at our lowest points we still have a chance of beating UNC!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
February 1961. I was only 18 months old so I can't cite it either.

I was -7 at the time. I wonder where my energy/soul was at that time. It's hard to imagine "not being."

-Deep thoughts, with EarlJam

rockymtn devil
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
1. Gone in 48-seconds at Cole, January 2001
2. The close win against Maryland in the '01 ACC Semis and the subsequent destruction of Carolina by 26(?) the next day
3. Beating Carolina in CH after Boozer's injury when everyone outside of Durham (and even some in Durham, like the Chroincle) stuck a fork in the Devils.

CameronBlue
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
1. Banks jam over Ralph Sampson
2. Meagher's reverse jam in the 84 ACC tourney as Duke finally beat Jordan and the Toolies
3. Grant's jam against Maryland, IIRC, even more incredible than the jam against Kansas
4. Grant and Hurley embracing after beating UNLV in the 91 semis
5. Duke's blowout of St. Johns in Louie C's final season, possibly the most dominating performance of the Laettner-Hurley-Hill era. If you were a fan of Louie C that one was tough to watch toward the end.

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
5. Duke's blowout of St. Johns in Louie C's final season, possibly the most dominating performance of the Laettner-Hurley-Hill era. If you were a fan of Louie C that one was tough to watch toward the end.

Oh, Snap! Good one! I remember it well...now...but had forgotten!

-EarlJam

jimbonelson
Hi,

If we can't win but one game a season, I want it to be against UNC. IMO, this is even more important for a home game. I will never forget Mr. Capel keeping hope alive on February 2, 1995. Sure we ended up losing the game 102-100, but Jeff's shot showed that even at our lowest points we still have a chance of beating UNC!

Best regards,
Jeffrey

this is one of my favorite moments also

Lord Ash
Front row, center court, tent #1 and 3rd or so guy in the door for Capel's shot vs UNC. Watched the AP guy throw his notes in the air as part of the celebration. AWESOME.

Gone in 54 seconds was pretty good too, tho there was so much heartache leading up to it in that game it was almost overwhelming.

Beating Arizona.

AnotherNYCDukeFan
11-14-2007, 06:15 PM
4. Grant and Hurley embracing after beating UNLV in the 91 semis

Very close to mine. My favorite is K coming on to the court after Hunt's missed three and calming everyone to emphasize that they knew they were going to win. As much as I loved The Shot, the UNLV win was a lot more satisfying.

phaedrus
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I only went to a handful of games my senior year, but I picked some good ones.

1. The Dockery shot

2. JJ scores 40 on 13 shots

3. JJ breaks JD's record

juise
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
1. Gone in 48-seconds at Cole, January 2001

It was 54 seconds.

"They need a miracle... there's one."

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
In no particular order:

a) our upset of Carolina in the tournament in 1984. This is the first Duke game I remember well.
b) 1986 ACCCG
c) Wojo hugging coach K in 1998
d) Women's upset of UNC in 1995 and of UTK in 1999

wilson
11-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Loved this one (my senior year):
-Chris Duhon going coast-to-coast in the Dean Dome to beat UNC with a buzzer-beating reverse layup in 2004

Also the comeback vs. kuralonna in Cameron in '98(?)...the "Roshown McLeod glare" game

RockChalk
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I know I don't have many facts for this moment but I can remember being glued to the ACC Tournament one year when there was not a Duke player who played alot of minutes that was over like 6'6 and they made it deep in the ACC Tournament.
I'm pretty sure Langdon was a freshmen. Sorry I couldn't give much more info but I'm sure someone here will remember.

Atldukie79
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
In addition to the many already mentioned above:

1978 East Regional finals: Duke had been referred to as a bunch of slow footed elephants. We came out and rang up about 24 points before Rollie M and 'Nova knew what hit them.

In the same game, Kenny Dennard had a break away and show boated with something I had never seen before... a backwards slam (keep in mind, the "Lew Alcinder" rule against dunking had only recently been lifted)

Chanting airball (for the first time?) after "Chic" Yonaker tossed an airball in the famed 7-0 first half of the 1979 finale against the heels.

Outlasting Kelly Tripuka and the Notre Dame team in St. Louis in '78 in the Final Four. Especially enjoyed the odd pairing of the Duke pep band next to the ND pep band. Lets just say their "buttoned down" demeanor, blazers, and band director who was a priest did not appreciate our version of their fight song as vociferously sung from the DUMB hymnal.

hurleyfor3
11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Gotta be 79-77.

Edit: I just googled 79-77. The first result was a Duke basketball game, but not the one I was thinking of.

RelativeWays
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Loved this one (my senior year):

Thats what I was going to pick. I remember joking with a UNC fan at work after that game. What made it for me is how he said if he had been at the Dean Dome, he would have thrown a shoe, a drink, marbles, anything to stop Duhon's layup. It was an image that brought many smiles to my face.

Not to mention the win in Cameron over UNC in 05 You could literally see the question marks over peoples heads after that busted play by Felton and McCants

Olympic Fan
11-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Just to clarify the question about Heyman slugging Larry Brown in 1961 ... it wasn't quite like that. Duke was about to win and Brown drove for a meaningless layup with seconds left -- Heyman grabbed Brown with both hands to prevent the layup. A foul, but nothing dirty and by grabbing him, he prevented Brown from going down hard, so nothing dangerous.

Brown responded by throwing the ball at Heyman's face, then following it up with a punch. Only THEN did Heyman punch out Brown. He got in one good punch before Donnie Walsh (the future NBA exec) sucker punched Heyman from behind, knocking him down to the court. At that point about six Carolina players jumped him and started pounding him. Damned if Art didn't fight his way to his feet and start giving as good as he got.

Sorry to be picky here, because it's kind of a sore point. At the time, it was reported that Heyman threw the first punch. Bubas took the unusual step of calling a press conference, then rolling film of the sequence to prove that Brown struck first (and Walsh sucker punched from behind). The really unfair thing is that the ACC handed down the same punishment for Brown, who started the fight, Walsh who came off the bench to slug an opponent from behind and for Heyman, who was merely defending himself. All three were suspended for the rest of the ACC regular season schedule.

Which brings up a question that's been bugging me -- I know it's off-topic, but why was Gerald Henderson not allowed to sit on the Duke bench during his suspension after elbowing Hansbrough? Georgia Tech's Zach Peacock was allowed to sit on the Tech bench when he received a one-game suspension last year under exactly the same rule. And Chris Paul was allowed to sit on the Wake bench for the first ACC Tourney game in 2005 after he was suspended for punching Julius Hodge in the groin. And three years earlier, Hodge was allowed to sit on the State bench when he was suspended for slugging Steve Blake from behind.

I know it's a small thing ... but just as I'm still angry about Heyman's unfair punishment 47 years ago, I want to know why the conference forbid Henderson from sitting on the Duke bench during his suspension -- just as every other player who has been suspended by the ACC over the last decade was allowed to do???

By the way, a few memories for the old-timers (you guys have covered the Krzyzewski era in great detail) --

-- The game that made me a fan for life, Carroll Youngkin pouring in 30 points against Doug Moe as Duke stunned UNC in the 1960 ACC semfinals (and Doug Kistler outplaying Len Chappell the next night as Bubas won the title in his first year).

-- Heyman and Mullins outplay Bill Bradley in December of '62. Bubas later said the game made him sick to his stomach, wondering "What might have been ..." Bradley, who signed a letter of intent to Duke, scored 24 for Princeton -- Mullins had 28 and Heyman 27 for Duke. A month later, Rod Thorn, who also almost came to Duke, visited Cameron and Duke simply blew the Mountaineers away.

-- Mullins hitting from over midcourt and finishing with 43 points as Duke beat a great Villanova team in the East Regional semifinals.

-- Robbie West beating Carolina from the top of the key on the day when Duke Indoor Stadium was dedicated as Cameron Indoor Stadium.

-- Dick DeVenzio destroying UNC in Bubas' last home game -- his retirement had been announced the night before. I was also in Carmichael the time he hit the shot from his own foul line to beat UNC's frosh at the buzzer.

-- Watching the undefeated freshman team play in Bucky's first year ... ah, what promise -- too bad just two of the five lasted four years.

-- Watching Gary Melchionni burn No. 3 Maryland for 39 points out of the Mongoose -- one of the few bright spots in a dark era.

-- The great joy of the 1978 team. Two academic All-Americans (Spanarkel and Gminski) and two wild childs -- Banks and Dennard. Everything they did was magic.

Finally, the greatest of all that I saved for last. As others have mentioned: the Freddie Lind game. If you weren't there, you can't understand. Simply the most unbelievable performance in Duke history. The loudest I've ever heard Cameron. Freddie Lind will live forever!!

weezie
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Late to the thread but 2001, semis in Minneapolis, Duhon cracks skulls with Blake. Duke down by, what 23 at the half? Reeling through the tunnels, staggered into another unknown Dukie who grabbed me by the shoulders and told me he didn't know how we were going to do it but we were going to win that game. Love you dude, wherever you are!
And also, everything that Battier did that entire weekend. Hail Shane!

EarlJam
11-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Just to clarify the question about Heyman slugging Larry Brown in 1961 ... it wasn't quite like that. Duke was about to win and Brown drove for a meaningless layup with seconds left -- Heyman grabbed Brown with both hands to prevent the layup. A foul, but nothing dirty and by grabbing him, he prevented Brown from going down hard, so nothing dangerous.

Brown responded by throwing the ball at Heyman's face, then following it up with a punch. Only THEN did Heyman punch out Brown.

Either way, long story short, Duke guy punches UNC guy. Snap! Awesome!

Seriously, thanks for that post. The context is very interesting and very much appreciated.

-EarlJam

devildeac
11-14-2007, 10:55 PM

Brown responded by throwing the ball at Heyman's face, then following it up with a punch. Only THEN did Heyman punch out Brown. He got in one good punch before Donnie Walsh (the future NBA exec) sucker punched Heyman from behind, knocking him down to the court. At that point about six Carolina players jumped him and started pounding him. Damned if Art didn't fight his way to his feet and start giving as good as he got.

Sorry to be picky here, because it's kind of a sore point. At the time, it was reported that Heyman threw the first punch. Bubas took the unusual step of calling a press conference, then rolling film of the sequence to prove that Brown struck first (and Walsh sucker punched from behind). The really unfair thing is that the ACC handed down the same punishment for Brown, who started the fight, Walsh who came off the bench to slug an opponent from behind and for Heyman, who was merely defending himself. All three were suspended for the rest of the ACC regular season schedule.

Which brings up a question that's been bugging me -- I know it's off-topic, but why was Gerald Henderson not allowed to sit on the Duke bench during his suspension after elbowing Hansbrough? Georgia Tech's Zach Peacock was allowed to sit on the Tech bench when he received a one-game suspension last year under exactly the same rule. And Chris Paul was allowed to sit on the Wake bench for the first ACC Tourney game in 2005 after he was suspended for punching Julius Hodge in the groin. And three years earlier, Hodge was allowed to sit on the State bench when he was suspended for slugging Steve Blake from behind.

I know it's a small thing ... but just as I'm still angry about Heyman's unfair punishment 47 years ago, I want to know why the conference forbid Henderson from sitting on the Duke bench during his suspension -- just as every other player who has been suspended by the ACC over the last decade was allowed to do???

By the way, a few memories for the old-timers (you guys have covered the Krzyzewski era in great detail) --

-- The game that made me a fan for life, Carroll Youngkin pouring in 30 points against Doug Moe as Duke stunned UNC in the 1960 ACC semfinals (and Doug Kistler outplaying Len Chappell the next night as Bubas won the title in his first year).

-- Heyman and Mullins outplay Bill Bradley in December of '62. Bubas later said the game made him sick to his stomach, wondering "What might have been ..." Bradley, who signed a letter of intent to Duke, scored 24 for Princeton -- Mullins had 28 and Heyman 27 for Duke. A month later, Rod Thorn, who also almost came to Duke, visited Cameron and Duke simply blew the Mountaineers away.

-- Mullins hitting from over midcourt and finishing with 43 points as Duke beat a great Villanova team in the East Regional semifinals.

-- Robbie West beating Carolina from the top of the key on the day when Duke Indoor Stadium was dedicated as Cameron Indoor Stadium.

-- Dick DeVenzio destroying UNC in Bubas' last home game -- his retirement had been announced the night before. I was also in Carmichael the time he hit the shot from his own foul line to beat UNC's frosh at the buzzer.

-- Watching the undefeated freshman team play in Bucky's first year ... ah, what promise -- too bad just two of the five lasted four years.

-- Watching Gary Melchionni burn No. 3 Maryland for 39 points out of the Mongoose -- one of the few bright spots in a dark era.

-- The great joy of the 1978 team. Two academic All-Americans (Spanarkel and Gminski) and two wild childs -- Banks and Dennard. Everything they did was magic.

Finally, the greatest of all that I saved for last. As others have mentioned: the Freddie Lind game. If you weren't there, you can't understand. Simply the most unbelievable performance in Duke history. The loudest I've ever heard Cameron. Freddie Lind will live forever!!

great memories,OF

I am really writing to reply to the question why GH was not allowed to sit on the Duke bench after his 'love tap' to Hansblabla's nose. Even K did not have an answer to that question this summer when some pre-season stuff was discussed. In a presser, he really sounded befuddled/pissed about it. This was in the same discussions of how to better promote Duke or how to better defend Duke came out when all the hating was discussed. K seemed to realize his some times aloofness or lack of access to the media really has t'd them off and he seemed willing to make himself more available. He also said something along the lines (paraphrasing) that we need to do a better job advocating or promoting Duke. I think he referenced the ESPN crap of 'what Duke player do you hate the most' came out. This is all from memory but it sounded like we were planning on doing a much more proactive job or at least active job combatting the garbage that guys like Doyel, Bradley and others have spewed our way over the last several years.

Tappan Zee Devil
11-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Fred Lind. "nuff said.

March 2, 1968 - Beating the holes (I believe they were then ranked #3 in the country behind UCLA and Houston) in three overtimes at Cameron with a little used sub as the hero when he replaced the All-American center (Mike Lewis) who fouled out in the second half of regulation. An epic, iconic game. My most exhilarating Cameron moment ( although it was simply the ""Indoor Stadium" then).

Jim (T '70)

throatybeard
11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Good call DevDeac.

I think K is realizing his recent Dean-like inaccessibility may obstruct some of his own goals because of the way the press works. That's just an uniformed opinion on my part.

devildeac
11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Good call DevDeac.

I think K is realizing his recent Dean-like inaccessibility may obstruct some of his own goals because of the way the press works. That's just an uniformed opinion on my part.

Hijacking a bit here, but responding to TB as above.

It is NOT an uninformed(I assume you meant uninformed) opinion on your part. I think K and whatever PR there is for men's BB is consciously aware of the bad press and will make serious efforts to refute/combat this in the future. This is stuff in the media you may not have seen in Mississippi or now in StL.

Duke09
11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Or, as CBS announcers say....

"Duke does NOT need a three, Hurley puts one up.......and makes it! Wow!"

-EarlJam

Which game was that?

My favorites are:
-Magette's dunk vs. FSU
-JJ lighting up Texas
-Duhon Coast to Coast against UNC
-J-Will "Duke needs a miracle, there's one" at Maryland

DavidBenAkiva
11-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I thinkt that the whole 2000 - 2001 National Championship season was just so amazing for me. It was my freshman year. I mean, the thing was an epic saga:
1) J - Will's 56 Seconds from goat to glory - and that block by Battier!
writer's note: I watched the first half in my dorm room. We did OK. The second half, I watched across the hall. With exactly two minutes left, I went back to my room. Blake fouled out, then the miracle happened. The dorm erupted into the hallway. Everyone yelled at me to get back into my room for OT lest I jinx the team again!
2) Duke destroys UNC in Chapel Hill. This is after Battier fouled Haywood at the end of the game at home and Boozer goes down to Maryland.
3) Duke further pours salt on Gary Williams by beating Maryland in the ACC Semis and the Final Four, which was just a gut-wrenching game.
4) If I had to pick one moment, nothing beat watching the national championship game in CIS. If the Final Four were like the World Series, that would be better, so I could watch game 7 there. As it is, though, that was a hell of a place to watch a game on a big screen. Being on campus afterwards was also quite an experience. I did not go to class Tuesday for health and wellbeing issues. I'd also like to point out that they burned cars on the street in Arizona that evening. Imagine what they would have done had they won!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Cameron
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
I've gone over this story many of times on here before, so will refrain from posting the specifics for the 500th time, but the most elated I have EVER been--whether it be for "The Shot" when I was just a kid, Capel's miracle, the national championships, Duhon's coast to coast blue jersey reverse shot, etc--was after Jason hit that three pointer against Indiana. I felt like I was floating on a cloud of speed (not that I know what that is). The elation was outstanding, better than any feeling I have ever had. No question. And what made it a MILLION times better was the fact that I had been in a bar area surrounded by a sea of red, Hooiser fans.

I talked so much **** after that shot went down. Larry Johnson, b****es, Larry f***** Johnson! I was in Heaven. Then came the miss and the no call. (I should note, however, that my language after the shot was warranted, as I was being heckled beyond belief that night, especially when the leprechaun hit that two foot, float shot to put IU on top, his first basket of the game. Damn him.)

I went from happiest moment in my entire life to hell, in a matter of seconds. I'll never forget that initial feeling, though. We were on our way to back to back national titles.

mepanchin
11-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Battier's block on Jason Gardner in the 01 Final and subsequent behind the back, barely in bounds pass into a fast break was pretty memorable

hondoheel
11-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I didn't see a link to the Brown/Heyman fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxqafl6OtI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y62MM_fnuuo

:D

EarlJam
11-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Which game was that?

Duke/UNLV in the 1991 Semifinal.

UNLV had just gone up by five, I think, when Hurley brought the ball down and nailed a three to cut the lead to two and deflate the momentum from the Rebel's balloon. He misses that, we lose.

That's not an exact quote from the announcers but it was something like that. They were in the middle of saying Duke doesn't need a three when Hurley, in essence, said "Frook that noise!"

-EarlJam

mark3401
11-15-2007, 12:43 PM
"2. Someone else had lost during the week and it was Saturday and Duke would be #1 (for the first time in a looong time) if we could just beat a highly regarded Oklahoma team in Cameron. We jumped out to about a 30-4 lead or something crazy like that. It was insane. In my 4 years, I never, ever, heard Cameron that loud."

YES!!! That was the only game that I was was one of the first 5 people through the doors. Unbelievable. "we're #1" "we're #1". wow.. goosebumps still

Jeffrey
11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Front row, center court, tent #1 and 3rd or so guy in the door for Capel's shot vs UNC. Watched the AP guy throw his notes in the air as part of the celebration. AWESOME.

Hi L.A.,

I'm a self-made multi-millionaire with a hot younger wife! Nah.... nevermind..... you win! :D

Best regards,
Jeffrey

monkey
11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
since someone's already mentioned that ... I'll go with '97-'98 Blue Devils beating #1 ranked Arizona in the Maui Classic (which got a mention on the main page). After 3 so-so years (though our 97 ACC regular season championship was nice after the prior two), this was a statement game. And one of the first glimpses of what Will Avery could really do. Man did that win feel good.

throatybeard
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Duke/UNLV in the 1991 Semifinal.

UNLV had just gone up by five, I think, when Hurley brought the ball down and nailed a three to cut the lead to two and deflate the momentum from the Rebel's balloon. He misses that, we lose.

That's not an exact quote from the announcers but it was something like that. They were in the middle of saying Duke doesn't need a three when Hurley, in essence, said "Frook that noise!"

-EarlJam

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcFqkHi6dg

Packer says: "Still plenty of time to not worry about a three, and Hurley hits one right there, because it was available."

Bostondevil
11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Just today as I was driving to pick up my son from piano lessons I was thinking about my all time favorite sports photos. The one of Tinkerbell after his senior day game with his fists raised to the heavens, his head thrown back and mouth wide open is one of the all time greats. I was still in high school and dating a guy bound for Carolina (my last, we broke up, don't worry) so beating the Heels that day was extra sweet.

Very personal memory but still, it happened in Cameron, getting Tate Armstrong's autograph when I was 12.

The Shot never gets old. I watch it on YouTube 3-4 times a year.

Sitting behind the visiting bench my freshman year and getting Michael Jordan to look up into the crowd where we all put tongue depressors in our mouths, just priceless.

Ferry putting up that shot to help seal the deal against Kansas in the '86 semis. I was at that Final Four. What happened next belongs in the all time biggest disappointment thread, not just in sports, but life.

mark3401
11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
What a great thread. I just watched the youtube of 1991 ... i get the same goosebumps all these years later. I just don't think anything can touch the UNLV victory. Believe it or not, one of the highlight moments of a pretty interesting life!

DukeWarhead
11-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Would have to be Duhon's reverse layup to beat UNC in 2004; it just sucked the life out of the place and there is no sound sweeter than the collective groan of defeat echoing off the walls of the Dean Dome. That moment will be forever frozen in time for me. I revisited it a lot last season as things got frustrating. Not a terribly critical game, but it kept the streak against UNC going and gave Roy a proper welcome back to the ACC.
I wish I could find it on YouTube.

mepanchin
11-16-2007, 03:20 AM
Would have to be Duhon's reverse layup to beat UNC in 2004; it just sucked the life out of the place and there is no sound sweeter than the collective groan of defeat echoing off the walls of the Dean Dome. That moment will be forever frozen in time for me. I revisited it a lot last season as things got frustrating. Not a terribly critical game, but it kept the streak against UNC going and gave Roy a proper welcome back to the ACC.
I wish I could find it on YouTube.

It's especially good after all the excitement of McCants' 3 that tied the game. Then silence.

Uncle Drew
11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Top 5 in no particular order:

1. Dukes 41-0 football win over UNC in Chapel Hell in 1989 in which the Duke D knocked out two UNC QB's and held them scoreless.

2. Duhon's reverse layup to seal the win at the Wiener Dome. My nerves were so shot after that game I thought I'd have to go to the ER.

3. The comeback against MD when I got so ticked I turned it off and then back over to see the final score and saw either the greatest comeback in basketball history or the biggest choke in basketball history.

4. The shot. To this day watching a replay of that play gives me chills and I need a cigarette after wards.

5. Seeing Patrick Johnson start on senior day and not only fulfilling his dream of playing for Duke but imagining how proud his parents would be had they not passed away in an auto accident years before. Literally brought tears to me eyes.