PDA

View Full Version : To those who say the Cameron Crazies are slipping:

VaDukie
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Is it an opinion that is clearly not shared by opponents in the ACC:

http://ncstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=739403

10 of the 13 players surveyed said we were either the best or tied for the best. This is not to say that the attendance has slipped and it needs to improve, but those who are showing up to games are definitley having an impact.

FreezingDevil
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Jack McClinton, Miami: "I guess there is nothing to do there but read because they knew everything about us."

There are certain advantages to being bookish :D

Great find!

VaDukie
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Jack McClinton, Miami: "I guess there is nothing to do there but read because they knew everything about us."

Great find!

Or we've mastered the art of multi-tasking; may be too difficult a concept for other schools to grasp. ;-)

TillyGalore
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Great find!

Wasn't Jack McClinton talking about Clemson?

mepanchin
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I liked the two comments about DeMarcus being a tough match-up for other guards because of his strength

Wander
11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Worth noting is that McClinton's never played at Duke before - so really, we got 10 of 12.

Bluedog
11-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Ya, he was talking about Clemson. Jeremis Smith said the same thing about Duke though:

"Duke. Those guys, you go to Duke and we were trying to warm up and stretch, and we couldn't but smile. They are so crazy and so wild. They do their research on the players and probably know more about you than your own fans."

10 out of the 13 players said Duke has the craziest fans.

These answers to the "craziest fans" question should make the Crazies feel good:

"Any time you go to Duke, they definitely have some school spirit there. They are definitely loud and involved in the game. They are always doing that hand thing when you are taking the ball out of bounds."

"Duke man, the Cameron Crazies by far"

"Duke for sure, they are hands down one of the wildest places I've played. They are unbelievable crazy. They are annoying. It's a great place and a great atmosphere."

"I'd say Duke. It's loud and crazy. It's a fun atmosphere to play in because the fans get on you all the time. I feed off that."

FreezingDevil
11-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Yeah, McClinton was talking about Clemson. I just thought it was a good quote regardless of the school. It certainly applies to Duke fans though

TillyGalore
11-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, McClinton was talking about Clemson. I just thought it was a good quote regardless of the school. It certainly applies to Duke fans though

Thanks for the clarification. Thought that was what you meant but wasn't sure.

shadowfax336
11-14-2007, 04:48 PM
that the 3 who didn't say we were the craziest said so because they took the question to mean how crude fans were and were just shocked that people were actually saying the things they were saying, not that they were loud or creative. And I mean if rising above that level means we lose a few votes for craziness I'm ok with that.

And I find it interesting that it seems that others think that D-Marc is the toughest matchup on our team

DukeDude
11-14-2007, 05:16 PM
"I feel the most comfortable at NC State. I like the floor and the fans aren't that loud." -- Sean Singletary

At least no one said that about Cameron.

Dukiedevil
11-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I thought it was interesting that so many of them thought that James Gist was the best dunker in the league. He's been around for a couple of years and I don't remember any Amazing or particularly unforgettable dunks (ala Grant Hill, Maggette, Henderson, Dahntey... ).

Is he that good? Or is it just a reputation thing? I expect Gerald to have a dunk or two that will go down in Duke lore.

Here's a personal favorite of mine:

SilkyJ
11-14-2007, 05:22 PM
He's been around for a couple of years and I don't remember any Amazing or particularly unforgettable dunks (ala Grant Hill, Maggette, Henderson, Dahntey... ).

who's dahntey?

zingit
11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks for posting that, VaDukie!

It's interesting that James Gist named Cameron as the best facility: "I'd have to say Duke's arena. It's small but I like playing on their floor." I wonder if he meant something physical, like how we supposedly have soft rims, or whether he meant that it's a historic, famous arena that's cool to play in.

Also interesting what he says about Greivis Vasquez: "There have been times where he'll go up to players on the other team and tell them I'm going to come off the screen and I'm going to score. I love that about him. He shows no fear in anything." Wow, that's so obnoxious. It would take great restraint on the part of the other team not to throttle him at that moment.

Dukiedevil
11-14-2007, 06:51 PM
who's dahntey?

What's Shmoove?

wilson
11-14-2007, 07:02 PM
What's Shmoove?

Post of the century.

dukie8
11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Is it an opinion that is clearly not shared by opponents in the ACC:

http://ncstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=739403

10 of the 13 players surveyed said we were either the best or tied for the best. This is not to say that the attendance has slipped and it needs to improve, but those who are showing up to games are definitley having an impact.

i'm not sure how citing a survey of current acc players who concluded that cis has the best fans refutes the belief that the crazies are slipping because they have nothing to compare the current fans against. how about asking someone who saw the fans in the 80s or 90s and has been to games in the past year or 2?

captmojo
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
What's Shmoove?

I used to be.:D

MulletMan
11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
i'm not sure how citing a survey of current acc players who concluded that cis has the best fans refutes the belief that the crazies are slipping because they have nothing to compare the current fans against. how about asking someone who saw the fans in the 80s or 90s and has been to games in the past year or 2?

Considering the fact that the players are the guys that the Crazies are trying to get after I'd think the survey is pretty relevant.

Also worth noting that guys like Bilas and Elmore have also rated the Crazies as the best fans in the country. I have this strange feeling that they might have been around in the periods that you are speaking of.

Oh, and I've been at just about every home game for the past 7 years, and while the Crazies have had thier ups and downs, I'd have to say that this year's group is off to a nice start.

But, by all means, continue to tell them that they suck. Hopefully they'll use it as the same kind of motivation that the team is using after last season.

wilson
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
But, by all means, continue to tell them that they suck. Hopefully they'll use it as the same kind of motivation that the team is using after last season.

Couldn't agree more! After last season's unusual circumstances, I think the Crazies may be hungry to get, well...crazy.

I think it's also worth noting that many of the other student sections that have claimed to have eclipsed the Crazies in recent years have directly lifted large portions of their "schtick" from Cameron (with copious amounts of officially-sanctioned "look what great fans we are!" tripe, such as everyone in the same t-shirt...something never really needed at Duke). The izzone at michigan state, for example, does the "Ahhh...see ya!" cheer.
I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that one, for some reason, really grinds my gears. The "airball" chant, for example, doesn't really bug me when done at other arenas. But "Ahhh...see ya!" always seemed a bit more proprietary to me.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Couldn't agree more! After last season's unusual circumstances, I think the Crazies may be hungry to get, well...crazy.

I think it's also worth noting that many of the other student sections that have claimed to have eclipsed the Crazies in recent years have directly lifted large portions of their "schtick" from Cameron (with copious amounts of officially-sanctioned "look what great fans we are!" tripe, such as everyone in the same t-shirt...something never really needed at Duke). The izzone at michigan state, for example, does the "Ahhh...see ya!" cheer.
I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but that one, for some reason, really grinds my gears. The "airball" chant, for example, doesn't really bug me when done at other arenas. But "Ahhh...see ya!" always seemed a bit more proprietary to me.

Right. There are Carbon Copy Crazies in every arena these days. It is a challenge for our originals will keep coming up with NEW stuff. For example, opposing players have all learned to just not sit down at all until the Crazies give up on "Ahhhhh SEE ya" because it's so old and used. They're gonna have to at least learn to end it the second the guy steps off the court if they want to win the stand off because they're losing that one every single time.:o

Ima

wilson
11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Right. There are Carbon Copy Crazies in every arena these days. It is a challenge for our originals will keep coming up with NEW stuff. For example, opposing players have all learned to just not sit down at all until the Crazies give up on "Ahhhhh SEE ya" because it's so old and used. They're gonna have to at least learn to end it the second the guy steps off the court if they want to win the stand off because they're losing that one every single time.:o

Ima

Point taken, but I also think the "You're not worth it" chant (in standard 4-syllable cadence) is a pretty solid and if I'm not mistaken, rather recent adaptation...yet another example of why the Crazies are the best.

VaDukie
11-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Point taken, but I also think the "You're not worth it" chant (in standard 4-syllable cadence) is a pretty solid and if I'm not mistaken, rather recent adaptation...yet another example of why the Crazies are the best.

A few years back (sometime around the Battier era I believe) after one player seemed set on not giving the Crazies the joy of "ahh see ya!" some began chanting "He's got Hemroids!" (clap-clap-clap-clap-clap)