PDA

View Full Version : Leadership - hear me out

highlandangel
03-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I came to a conclusion after the game that I wanted to run by the board...

We are missing the leader on the court. And I'm not refering to the point guard.

This is not a bash, or even criticism of any player on the court in a Duke uniform. It has a lot to do with our youth, but it also has a lot to do with the character of the players that have passed through Cameron - and I think anyone of the young men in our uniform could step up to that position.

While I have been a basketball fan my entire life, I'll limit my analysis to the last 9 seasons, in large part because that's when i started at Duke:

1998-99 Trajan Langdon
99-00 Chris Carawell
00-01 Shane Battier
01-02 Jason Williams
02-03 Daniel Ewing
03-06 JJ Redick/Shelden Williams

Each of the above players took the team on their backs, with ample help from the rest of the team.

We've have had varying levels of talent (and I mean in comparison to each team at Duke, not across the country), and we've had various injuries, etc. But each year, someone would put the team on their back, even if they weren't necessarily the most talented person. We didn't always win, but we won a lot more than we lost.

The other thing that happened is that each year that followed, the "leader" on the floor had a chance the previous year to work his way into the go-to guy position. That was lost with this team. Our most experienced player has battled with injuries most of his career, and the next two were righfully overshadowed by two of Duke's best ever. That doesn't mean they can't do it, but it means that they had a lot to live up to this season, without the chance to grow into the job.

I wanted to post this because it makes me excited, not only for this NCAA tournament, but also for next year, because I think this team will be back where they belong - at the top!

dyedwab
03-08-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree with the substance of this post. This team needs to learn how to win. It didn't have anyone to show them. That's ok. Its a factor of youth.

I'm excited about the future because this team will learn.

Richard Berg
03-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Not sure I agree with your chronology. More like:

02-03 Dahntay
03-04 Duhon
04-05 Ewing
05-06 JJ/Shel/Dock

Greg is ready to be that guy. I'm not sure Josh is, unfortunately.

IUGrad03
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree that Greg is ready to be that leader. The issue is, as a sophomore I'm not sure the rest of the team were ready to really look to him as leader. Next year, when everyone has another year under their belt I expect to see that leadership more exemplified.

cavespringer
03-09-2007, 08:21 AM
The team needs an on the court, vocal leader who demands the attention of others. JJ did it as a freshman; Duhon did it as soon as he walked on the court. Greg tries to assert himself the same way but often not with the same result. This team lacks an intense, forceful leader that commands respect and raises the level of everyone's play. Maybe Gerald will be the one.

dukelifer
03-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Not sure I agree with your chronology. More like:

02-03 Dahntay
03-04 Duhon
04-05 Ewing
05-06 JJ/Shel/Dock

Greg is ready to be that guy. I'm not sure Josh is, unfortunately.

Seems like most of those leaders were seniors. Why didn't the seniors this year step up and take on that role?...wait nevermind.