PDA

View Full Version : You know what's crazy??...

DukeWarhead
03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
This season has really tempered my excitement about our recruits for next year, because this season has really made me wonder about the realiability of the rankings.
For example, (Now, I'm not complaining, but,) Josh was the #1 ranked player in his position coming out of high school. I think its safe to say that he is not currently so in the NCAA (although he could become great, I don't know.)
Therefore, I am taking a more cautious approach when I get excited about all the "talent" we have coming in next year. One would think we would be loaded, but as this season has shown, being loaded with highly-ranked players doesn't automatically mean winning.
(I'm not Mr. Doom. I understand that we are still a good team. I remember the excitement I felt before the season, though, and I honestly felt we would be duking it out with Carolina for the top spot in the ACC right now.)
Somebody tell me I'm worrying too much....

Cameron
03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Kyle Singler is light years ahead of Josh. When you see him take the court in a White and Blue uni next season in Cameron, you'll know you are worrying too much. Kyle has a chance to be incredibly special. He can do both things McRoberts can (pass well and dunk) as well as the things McRoberts can't (shoot from beyond 15 feet and score efficiently under the basket). He has the entire package.

Josh may have been rated number one, but his overall game was nowhere near as complete coming out of high school as Kyle's is. IMO, he'll be a rich man's Dunleavy. Only better. And that is saying something:)

dukelifer
03-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes- just because you were good in high school doesn't mean you will be great in college. Remember Josh had back problems that required surgery. He is a bit behind where he might be on O. Paulus has really picked up his play of later- he will not get faster- but he will be a weapon. Scheyer had big games this year- but is probably worn down like most Freshman who need to put on 20 pounds. After early injuries, Henderson has started to play well. Of all our highly touted freshman- Thomas is probably struggling the most. Not sure why- but he needs to be stronger at his position. Same for Zoubek- who is not ready for the speed of the game. Singer will be very good- he is big and can score from may points on the floor. King will be a shooter- but he may not play much because of his D- but you can never tell. He could be Melchioni- like. I expect Smith to be Ewing like- will have his moments next year - but will need to learn. So next year- Duke will be better because the core group will be better and the bench will be deeper. But if Josh goes- and that is a good possibility-Duke still may not be at the level of the past 8 years- but they should be better in some areas on the game- mostly better shooting and scoring.

dukie8
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Kyle Singler is light years ahead of Josh. When you see him take the court in a White and Blue uni next season in Cameron, you'll know you are worrying too much. Kyle has a chance to be incredibly special. He can do both things McRoberts can (pass well and dunk) as well as the things McRoberts can't (shoot from beyond 15 feet and score efficiently under the basket). He has the entire package.

Josh may have been rated number one, but his overall game was nowhere near as complete coming out of high school as Kyle's is. IMO, he'll be a rich man's Dunleavy. Only better. And that is saying something:)

mcbob can dunk when he wants to. did you see his 2 monster jams tonight? the one he took to the rack down the lane was downright nasty.

BlueDevilBaby
03-08-2007, 10:50 PM
McBob needs to get nasty early!:mad:

jsimmons
03-09-2007, 09:03 AM
McRoberts is Duke's Derek Jeter this year. When we need him he strikes out, when the game is over he hits 2 home runs. I realized this tonite.

CMS2478
03-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I have only seen highlights but I can't help but get excited when I see Kyle Singler play. I really feel like I am watching a quicker Dirk Nowitzki (not sure about that spelling) He just looks so smooth and that pull-up jumper looks exactly like Dirk. I hope he can step in be a solid scorer next year.

tbyers11
03-09-2007, 09:19 AM
McRoberts is Duke's Derek Jeter this year. When we need him he strikes out, when the game is over he hits 2 home runs. I realized this tonite.

I'm not a Yankee's fan by any means, by I think you are referring to Alex Rodriguez and not Jeter:) . Sadly, I agree with your point that Josh has not played well in clutch situations. This lack of production at key times is not because he is incapable but seems to be more of a mental thing. Experience (duh) and confidence come from repetition. I hope Josh is at Duke to gain this experience, but I guess that we will have to wait and see on that point.

MulletMan
03-09-2007, 09:22 AM
McBob needs to get nasty early!:mad:

Concur. When he gets that motor going and is playing with fire (not when he's yelling at teamates or refs) he can be unstoppable.