PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match -- NMSU

Jumbo
11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. NMSU?

JBDuke
11-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Makes the 2nd time in two games I've voted for Mr. Scheyer...

dukemomLA
11-13-2007, 03:26 AM
I voted for Paulus, but it was a hard choice. Jon S had an awesome game offensively. But Greg really ran the team as we had expected from the beginning of his tenure at Duke. This team has awesome potential and will be exciting to watch. Yeah!!

mgtr
11-13-2007, 03:46 AM
Tough choice between Paulus and Scheyer, but Greg was there in the trenches when it really mattered. Happy to see that those who have supported those two guys were not disappointed.

jimbonelson
11-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Paulus Really Looked Good

CDu
11-13-2007, 08:09 AM
It has to be Paulus. He did a little of everything last night, including getting the break started with turnovers, driving for buckets, getting assists.

Scheyer had a very nice game as well, but he had 6 of his points after the game had been decided (in the final minute). That doesn't mean they don't count - it just means I value them a bit less compared to Paulus' performance over the course of the game.

I've been one who's questioned Paulus' performances in the last two years. I don't take back my questioning of those previous performances, but his performance tonight was very strong and I think he deserves credit for it.

captmojo
11-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Greg Paulus, if for nothing more than pure hustle. Outstanding.

Fish80
11-13-2007, 08:51 AM
DeMarcus played a great game, too. It was really nice to see Paulus, Scheyer, and Nelson all play well.

Not that it really matters, but does Scheyer start in Maui?

ugadevil
11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I thought Paulus did a good job solidifying that early run in the first half with his two layups that really got the team the big lead. It was cruise control from then on.

ehdg
11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Paulus is looking very good now that he's healthy and we all hope he stays that way, healthy that is!! As for Scheyer he's doing really well and seems to have adjusted well to coming off the bench. I think having him come off the bench instead of starting could be very important and big for us this season. To have that kind of fire power come in can only help. Let's hope he continues shooting well and keeps up doing good coming off the bench and accepting of this role for as long as Coach K goes with it.

elvis14
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
DeMarcus played a great game, too. It was really nice to see Paulus, Scheyer, and Nelson all play well.

Not that it really matters, but does Scheyer start in Maui?

Funny you should ask if Scheyer should start after you praise DeMarcus. I think DeMarcus should start and Jon should be the first one off the bench. I really love playing so many guys.

Fish80
11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Funny you should ask if Scheyer should start after you praise DeMarcus. I think DeMarcus should start and Jon should be the first one off the bench. I really love playing so many guys.

I didn't say Scheyer should start, but asked if he would start. I'm okay with Scheyer coming off the bench, and it seems to be working for him. For some smaller opponents, we might start Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and one big.

The two guys that I would continue to start all the time are Paulus and Nelson.

riverside6
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Does it matter? Scheyer is playing starter's minutes anyway!

gw67
11-13-2007, 10:58 AM
After two games, Scheyer leads the team in mpg and ppg. He is shooting extraordinarly well (63% from field, 70% from 3-point and 80% from free throw line). He also has the second best A/TO on the team. I suspect that he is fine with coming off the bench if he is getting starter minutes and is contributing to the team. I don’t foresee his playing time being cut by much and, IMO, he is the best ballhandler and free throw shooter among the wings although Nelson has come through like a champ so far on his free throws.

gw67

Channing
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
While they are different players, I see a similarity between the way K has been using K (obviously a limited sample size) and the way D'Antoni uses/ used Leandro Barbosa. Having that 6 man that can come off the bench when the initial adrenalin rush for the starters has worn off is extremely effective.

elvis14
11-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I didn't say Scheyer should start, but asked if he would start. I'm okay with Scheyer coming off the bench, and it seems to be working for him. For some smaller opponents, we might start Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and one big.

The two guys that I would continue to start all the time are Paulus and Nelson.

I was just messin' with you Fish80...there have been so many posts over the last couple of months about weather Jon or Henderson would start, I was goofin' that endless argument by putting DeMarcus' name there :D Sorry, I'm a little tired and maybe my sense of humor isn't really all that good anyway.

I like the starting 5 we have right now but I agree in principal that we should start the 5 guys that give us the proper player rotations to match a particular opponent.

Jumbo
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
While they are different players, I see a similarity between the way K has been using K (obviously a limited sample size) and the way D'Antoni uses/ used Leandro Barbosa. Having that 6 man that can come off the bench when the initial adrenalin rush for the starters has worn off is extremely effective.

As I posted elsewhere, I was WAY more impressed with the D Scheyer brought to the game immediately. His scoring didn't really pick up until the second half, but his D was great right away, as was his ball movement, spacing, passing, etc.

As long as the guy plays a ton, I don't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, he'll be on the court to finish games, and that's what counts.

mehmattski
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
As I posted elsewhere, I was WAY more impressed with the D Scheyer brought to the game immediately. His scoring didn't really pick up until the second half, but his D was great right away, as was his ball movement, spacing, passing, etc.

As long as the guy plays a ton, I don't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, he'll be on the court to finish games, and that's what counts.

Agreed... I thought it was also interesting that Coach K was mad at Scheyer for not shooting enough. At one point in the first half Scheyer came off a screen in the corner, was wide open, and inexplicably passed to Thomas. Coach K came way off the bench yelling at Scheyer and making a "shoot the damn ball" motion with his hands.

Fish80
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I was just messin' with you Fish80...there have been so many posts over the last couple of months about weather Jon or Henderson would start, I was goofin' that endless argument by putting DeMarcus' name there :D Sorry, I'm a little tired and maybe my sense of humor isn't really all that good anyway.

I like the starting 5 we have right now but I agree in principal that we should start the 5 guys that give us the proper player rotations to match a particular opponent.

I didn't mean to sound snarky.

In Jumbo's charting thread the line up of Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, and Singler performed well. Might see that line up a little more.

VaDukie
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM

I agree completely. It also reminds me a little of the role Morris Petersen played for Michigan State in 2000. If memory serves, he was their 6th man but was also all Big-10.

JasonEvans
11-13-2007, 02:11 PM

I disagree-- I do not expect Scheyer to be finishing games any time soon...

...because I see us winning by large margins and not needing our best 5 on the floor at the end of the game.

--Jason ";)" Evans

Bob Green
11-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Several players had great games: Scheyer, Paulus, & Nelson stand out as guys who deserve the MOTM vote. I voted for Scheyer as I believe he was a bit better than everyone else.

I really like Jon coming off the bench. He provides an "energy boost" to the court and is very good in the 6th man role.

NCSU&UNCgrad
11-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Defensively, I think Zoubek looked great against NMSU. His ability to keep their bigs from gaining any momentum or rythm during the first half, forced NMSU into running, as opposed to establishing a half-cout game where their size advantage could hurt us. I don't look for him to score much, but he's a great defender.

Classof06
11-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Player of the game: Jon Scheyer

I said I thought starting Henderson and bringing Scheyer off the bench was a very good idea, and I haven't seen anything to contradict that. Scheyer can still play starters' minutes (and he definitely should), basically being a 6th starter coming off the bench. I though Jon played exceptionally well, but he still needs to shoot more! He passed up some open looks I'd like to see him take.

Paulus also played very, very well. That's right, I said it. It's still early, but it looks like Greg is playing at a much higher level than last year. He's still not the quickest guy ever, but it's becoming extremely evident how much that broken foot limited him last year. I said I needed to see it to believe it, and last night I saw it. Hopefully he plays like this when the competition stiffens up.

I also thought Demarcus played very well. He looks better than last year, especially from long range. I thought he might be a little slowed by the wrist injury in the early-going of the season, but he looks to be in mid-season form. I expect another fantastic year from Nelson, and underneath all the headliner freshmen and sophomores, I think Markie is the guy that holds this thing together.

All in all, I thought we looked very good. We went into a little lull in the 2nd half, but it's only the 2nd game of the season and we're a very young team, so that's expected. And I like the way we were able to slow down NMSU's post players; we'll need that to continue...