PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe announces staff changes

jimsumner
01-14-2021, 03:50 PM
https://goduke.com/news/2021/1/14/cutcliffe-announces-staff-addition-changes.aspx

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2021, 03:58 PM
https://goduke.com/news/2021/1/14/cutcliffe-announces-staff-addition-changes.aspx

The term "Co-Offensive Coordinator" is so confusing.
Is Cutcliffe relinquishing his role there, or will it now be a trifecta?

"That play sucked, but blame clearly falls on the other two."

jv001
01-14-2021, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the link. Looks like Cut will not be calling plays. I'm going to try and be optimistic with the addition and changes he made. But we still need some play makers and help on the OL and DL. That's a lot to ask for.

GoDuke!

budwom
01-14-2021, 04:02 PM

Well...a couple things stand out. The primary one is the continued descent (at least from the standpoint of responsibility) of Zac Roper continues...he's the top ranked assistant by title (Deputy Head Coach) yet he's gone from being offensive coordinator to QB coach to tight ends. Faris is going to call plays? He's headed in the other direction, from tight end coach to chief play caller.
Not sure what Boyette knows about wide receivers, but this happens sometimes in football.

Heaven's Guardian
01-14-2021, 04:03 PM
So we now have a head coach, an associate head coach, five coordinators and three regular position coaches. This looks more like a blame-shifting exercise. Can't criticize the coordinator if everyone is the coordinator!

More seriously, I don't know what this does. We now have the same coaches, but coaching positions they don't have as much experience with. I'm willing to give Cutcliffe a pass for this past year because we tried to keep the players safe instead of just letting it run rampant through the team, but this is the same as saying 'I don't like our coaching, but am unwilling to make any real staff changes".

budwom
01-14-2021, 04:05 PM
So we now have a head coach, an associate head coach, five coordinators and three regular position coaches. This looks more like a blame-shifting exercise. Can't criticize the coordinator if everyone is the coordinator!

More seriously, I don't know what this does. We now have the same coaches, but coaching positions they don't have as much experience with. I'm willing to give Cutcliffe a pass for this past year because we tried to keep the players safe instead of just letting it run rampant through the team, but this is the same as saying 'I don't like our coaching, but am unwilling to make any real staff changes".

don't forget we have a Deputy Head Coach (Roper, who seems on the descent);

No matter who has what offensive title, I fully expect we'll be seeing the very same Cutcliffe offense as we've seen before, absolutely nothing new...which may please some, displease others.

chrishoke
01-14-2021, 04:18 PM
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

budwom
01-14-2021, 04:20 PM

that precise observation was one I was going to make, but I wanted to be Mr. Positive (I strongly suspect you're right).

jb75
01-14-2021, 04:30 PM
that precise observation was one I was going to make, but I wanted to be Mr. Positive (I strongly suspect you're right).

+one

rtnorthrup
01-14-2021, 04:36 PM
Once again, no internal accountability for this season. Just swapping titles around.

Frustration, but at least I was expecting it.

Bob Green
01-14-2021, 05:44 PM

This pretty much sums up my reaction to the changes. Not much I can add.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2021, 06:54 PM
Per the new guy (Calvin Magee, running backs), here's his bio. Lots of coaching and playing experience.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Magee

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
01-14-2021, 07:17 PM

I’m willing to write off Covid hell year and give Cut another chance. What else can we do. I mean no disrespect to our last quarterback, but our new quarterback should be more mobile, something we have to have with our line play. Plus we do get back some injured offensive lineman, unless some moved on and I missed it. I’m almost more worried about our defense. We had a lot of players moving on from a pitiful defense. Maybe we can all get a vaccine and a dose of optimism.

Sixthman
01-14-2021, 09:49 PM
Like a lot of you, I m a hard core Duke homer, the kind of guy who can always see light at the end of the tunnel. With Blue Devils football, I’m in the dark, and the view is the same from every angle.

hustleplays
01-14-2021, 11:58 PM
don't forget we have a Deputy Head Coach (Roper, who seems on the descent);

No matter who has what offensive title, I fully expect we'll be seeing the very same Cutcliffe offense as we've seen before, absolutely nothing new...which may please some, displease others.

Budwom, I expect that we will see the same offense, which was dismally uncreative and predictable.

I'm curious about whom you think will be pleased by this...our opponents? :)

OldPhiKap
01-15-2021, 04:34 AM
{sigh}

JasonEvans
01-15-2021, 06:39 AM
Duke football in 2020 - Things are broken. We need Cut to call the plays! That will fix it!
Duke football in 2021 - Things are broken. We should not burden Cut with calling the plays! That will fix it!

Color me less than optimistic...

TruBlu
01-15-2021, 07:21 AM
To summarize, we need one of the following to happen in order to be more successful:

A) Better playmakers to make our poor schemes work.

B) Better schemes to make our existing players more effective.

Neither of these are likely to happen with our existing staff, IMHO.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-15-2021, 08:59 AM

I completely agree with this. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if Cut made a few phone calls and was turned down by anyone who was worth hiring. Because what decent coach who currently has a stable job (and it is logical to assume that the best coaches by definitely usually have stable jobs) would leave that position to work for a coach who is somewhat unlikely to be employed in a year and highly unlikely to be employed in two years?

I almost feel like he decided to inflate a few more titles to help his assistants in their job searches which seem inevitable.

Daddylawman
01-15-2021, 09:01 AM
+one

And here I was thinking I was going to be original.

sagegrouse
01-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Budwom, I expect that we will see the same offense, which was dismally uncreative and predictable.

Maybe, but I am all for copying Alabama's play book what a revelation. ND also has a very creative offense -- but not the same talent.

budwom
01-15-2021, 09:32 AM
Kevin White is playing out the string on Cut's contract....I even wonder if White will retire before that contract expires in two years, leaving the fun to someone else. As dispiriting as I find these moves, I can't imagine how bad I'll feel if Cut gets an extension. It truly saddens me that he's gone from statue outside WW terrirory to a guy who will be lucky to win another ACC game. We are going to be in a world of hurt next season.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2021, 10:13 AM
“The biggest change, of course is me coming out of that (offensive) room and getting back to being our head football coach, which I did a really poor job,” he said. “ if I had to critique one thing, I needed to be across the board the head football coach. It became very obvious to me awhile in.”

He's honest about that part, at least.
https://www.si.com/college/duke/football/david-cutcliffe-gives-up-playcalling-back-to-head-coach

roge054
01-15-2021, 10:55 AM

“Nearer, My God, to Thee”

budwom
01-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Ha, I used that phrase because any discussion of Duke football seems to dredge up the inevitable "but we were so bad before Cutcliffe got here" lamentations, and I was hoping to allow those folks to be happy with these moves.

hustleplays
01-15-2021, 12:56 PM
Ha, I used that phrase because any discussion of Duke football seems to dredge up the inevitable "but we were so bad before Cutcliffe got here" lamentations, and I was hoping to allow those folks to be happy with these moves.

Got it! You are very kind. :)

Did y'all notice Cutcliffe's statement, "If I had to critique one thing..." ouch.

I am curious whether he actually believes these changes are going to result in a competitive season.

What makes me sad [in addition to the crappy football] is that Cutcliffe is a really good human being. But he seems clueless about what needs to change. Is stubbornness his tragic flaw? Lack of imagination? It isn't a fun movie to watch.

budwom
01-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Got it! You are very kind. :)

Did y'all notice Cutcliffe's statement, "If I had to critique one thing..." ouch.

I am curious whether he actually believes these changes are going to result in a competitive season.

What makes me sad [in addition to the crappy football] is that Cutcliffe is a really good human being. But he seems clueless about what needs to change. Is stubbornness his tragic flaw? Lack of imagination? It isn't a fun movie to watch.

I agree that it's sad, because he IS a good man. The problems are so substantial now, however (given the exodus of eligible starters) that fixing them is going to require several years at the bare minimum. I'm braced for a grim couple of years minimum, but that won't stop me from attending (for some reason).

JasonEvans
01-15-2021, 04:39 PM
Kevin White is playing out the string on Cut's contract...I even wonder if White will retire before that contract expires in two years, leaving the fun to someone else.

Buddy, could you please share tonight's winning lottery numbers too? I mean, seeing as you have a crystal ball, why not spread the wealth around.

budwom
01-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Buddy, could you please share tonight's winning lottery numbers too? I mean, seeing as you have a crystal ball, why not spread the wealth around.

I have my hand on the pulse of Duke football, which is pretty much like having a stupid pet trick! The White retirement thing seemed obvious, a decision on Cutcliffe clearly looms within two years, and when I looked up White's age, it came up as roughly 70...why do today what you can put off forever!