PDA

View Full Version : Greensboro game watching

camcraz25
11-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I'll be home in Thomasville next week for Thanksgiving and was wondering if there were any Duke friendly, Duke alumni watching game places in Greensboro for the Maui Invitational. Anyone know of any? Thanks!

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I'd be interested in this too. (Winston).

camcraz25
11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Well, I'd be happy to go to Winston too...just figured there might be more people in Greensboro (though I have no idea why I thought that...)

RelativeWays
11-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I grew up in Greensboro and always considered it neutral territory for the most part. You're going to have a larger volume of Carolina and State fans in just about any NC town, but Greensboro doesn't seem to have a huge UNC slant, unlike Burlington where I now live, which is a tarhole haven. During my senior year at UNCG, I watched most sporting events including Duke basketball at the local laundry pub. Nothing beats drinking beer, washing clothes and cheering on the Blue Devils.:D

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Nothing beats drinking beer and cheering on the Blue Devils.:D

Edited for accuracy.

camcraz25
11-12-2007, 11:29 PM
hmm, yeah, think I'll pass on the laundry thing...that's what going home for breaks is for :)

RelativeWays
11-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I didn't have that luxury, or rather, I preferred using my own coins to wash clothes as opposed to driving 30 minutes down the road.

aro24
11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm in High Point (midpoint of G'boro/Winston/Thomasville)....not sure about any "sports bars" to go watch the game, but there is a new Hooters here....full of flat screen tv's...watched a few football games there. Good atmosphere and great food.
A-Ro24

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
there is a new Hooters here....full of flat screen tv's...watched a few football games there. Good atmosphere and great food.
A-Ro24

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the food at Hooters is pretty good. And, of course, the scenery is outstanding!

Turtleboy
11-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I'll be home in Thomasville next week for Thanksgiving and was wondering if there were any Duke friendly, Duke alumni watching game places in Greensboro for the Maui Invitational. Anyone know of any? Thanks!Theres a sports bar called Hugo's on the corner of Spring Garden and Holden Road. It's probably Duke neutral. They have several big screen TV's and will be showing multiple games.

camcraz25
11-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. So it doesn't sound like the Duke club goes anywhere...oh well, keep them coming if anyone else knows of anything. Otherwise I'll try one of these out!

merry
11-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I have fond memories of watching the Duke-at-UNC game in 2001 at Ham's in Greensboro. There were about 5 of us Duke fans who came over from the women's ACC tournament to catch the men's game on TV, about forty Carolina fans and one other guy rooting for Duke. As you may recall, this was the first game after Boozer's broken foot with Casey and CDu starting. UNC roared out to a small lead with I think a couple of dunks. This may have been the game where Peppers dunked and pounded on his chest - a moment a friend of mine always narrates as "I have JUST scored my ONLY two points of the game!". Duke went on to win and the UNC fans went on to be "Awfully Qui-et" <clap, cla, clap-clap-clap>

Indoor66
11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I have fond memories of watching the Duke-at-UNC game in 2001 at Ham's in Greensboro. There were about 5 of us Duke fans who came over from the women's ACC tournament to catch the men's game on TV, about forty Carolina fans and one other guy rooting for Duke. As you may recall, this was the first game after Boozer's broken foot with Casey and CDu starting. UNC roared out to a small lead with I think a couple of dunks. This may have been the game where Peppers dunked and pounded on his chest - a moment a friend of mine always narrates as "I have JUST scored my ONLY two points of the game!". Duke went on to win and the UNC fans went on to be "Awfully Qui-et" <clap, cla, clap-clap-clap>

Ham's - great potato chips and ranch dressing!

camcraz25
11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, I do like that Ham's too :)

throatybeard
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
So I'm bringing this back to the top as Maui approaches.

I don't think Hooters is an appropriate place for a game get-together.

I doubt I will get to Greensboro, as it turns out my mother has a pre-op on TU and surgery on W.