PDA

View Full Version : Get Well, Shaun Livingston

dockfan
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm sorry to say that last night he suffered one of the more gruesome injuries I've seen on a basketball court. Hopefully there is little to no structural damage or long-term problems and he can keep progressing with "Duke West" (L.A. Clippers). Amazingly, he would still only be a junior in college had he come to Duke - so he is even younger than J-Will was at the time of his accident. Both guys have plenty of time to come back from their respective injuries.

For Clips fans, if you need someone to step up and fill the void for Livingston, you are fortunate enough to have Daniel Ewing to do it.

Get well soon, Shaun.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's a link to a story on the injury.

http://sports.iwon.com/news/02272007/v2971.html

BluBones
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm very sorry this happened and hope he recovers quickly. A couple of weeks ago I lucked into a pair of fourth row tickets at Madison Square Garden to watch the Knicks play the Clippers. I was amazed at the maturity of his game. When I first saw him on the court I felt the old resentment for what might have been. He won me over, though. His play was so fluid, so poised and so beautiful. I didn't want to be a fan, but he made it impossible for me to be anything else.

It would be a significant silver lining if Daniel got some PT out of this. That night at MSG my nine-year-old son wore his Duke gear to cheer on Elton, Corey and Daniel. Elton and Corey both had bursts of brilliance, but sadly Daniel DNP/CD.

tombrady
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Why is a thread about a random NBA player on the main board? Did this Shaun Livingston guy ever take a class at Duke or play a game for Duke?

Good luck Kris Humphries! Hope you get get those season stats for the Raptors up!!!

PPG
RPG
APG

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Here is a link to the injury...I will warn you it is pretty graphic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pk7_-FIlTw

Get Well Soon Shaun!

feldspar
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Why is a thread about a random NBA player on the main board? Did this Shaun Livingston guy ever take a class at Duke or play a game for Duke?

A lot of us followed the recruitment of Shaun Livingston very very closely and grew an affinity for him even though he didn't eventually come here. Like BluBones, my feelings for him are often bittersweet. I in general really hope he does well, but from time to time those feelings of resentment come crawling back in.

Either way, it's really not off topic.

dockfan
02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I thought this might be a bit off-topic, but Shaun was kind of a unique case when compared to Humphries. I think Coach K made some comments that he was (somewhat) supportive of his decision and they keep in contact.

I guess you could say Livingston : Humphries as Brand : Avery is my thinking.

mph
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
It really was a nasty looking injury. It's been diagnosed as a dislocated kneecap. I did a little reading and it looks like surgury is not required in most cases, although he has a higher risk for future dislocations.

From the LA Times (registration required):

With the third-year player in obvious pain, Shimoyama popped Livingston's knee back into place in a process known as reduction. "It popped into place on the first try," said Shimoyama, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the Clippers for seven years. "It alleviated nearly all of the pain. When he dislocated it, he was in a lot of pain."

Shimoyama said that further tests were needed to determine whether Livingston had torn arteries in his leg. An arteriogram exam, in which dye is injected into the knee, would reveal tears, Shimoyama said. Livingston was supposed to have that test Monday and then undergo an MRI exam, probably today. "Knee dislocations are famous for causing damage to circulation," Shimoyama said. "On our preliminary inspection it did not appear he had damage, but you need to do an arteriogram to make sure."

FishStick
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Wow - that video was not fun. Boy needs to put some muscle on to protect his joints.

gadzooks
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Here is a link to the injury...I will warn you it is pretty graphic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pk7_-FIlTw

Get Well Soon Shaun!OMG OMG OMG OMG. :eek:

Clipsfan
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I remember seeing someone dislocate their kneecap back when I practiced Ju-Jitsu, and it was not a pretty sight. It looked incredibly painful, but even more importantly it SOUNDED painful, as the guy (a tough guy in general) was unable to stay quiet due to the pain.

I hope that Shaun gets better soon, as we might have been seeing the beginning of his potential shining through. Hard to say based on one good game, though.

ikiru36
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
A lot of us followed the recruitment of Shaun Livingston very very closely and grew an affinity for him even though he didn't eventually come here. Like BluBones, my feelings for him are often bittersweet. I in general really hope he does well, but from time to time those feelings of resentment come crawling back in.

Either way, it's really not off topic.

Just wanted to agree with Feldspar and BluBones that I too have felt a far greater affinity towards Livingston than, say, Humphries.

I was sad that he wasn't coming to Duke, not only because of my excitement to witness his skills in a Duke uniform but also because he seemed like a good kid who Coach K was excited to bring into the Duke family. It's hard to seriously question an opportunity to immediately be in the Top 5 of the NBA draft.

I haven't fully figured out the emotional logic but players who have transferred for (seemingly primary) reasons of PT and subsequent NBA opportunity (Humphries) bothered me more than the Livingston situation.

[and I don't dislike Humphries either, I just don't think of Humphries as a part of the Duke family whatsoever.]

Bottom line: Get well Shaun!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2007, 01:06 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG. :eek:

That's like watching the Joe Theisman clip. Get well quick, Shaun.

What could have been....was.

terrih
02-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I was actually VERY impressed with Sports Center this morning. Often times they will replay these things numerous times. They only showed it once because it was so bad.

I really hope that Shaun gets well quickly and has full recovery. Regardless of if he came to Duke or not, I still never like to see a player get hurt like that.

bcato
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I can sympathize with him. I had my left knee dislocated last summer when my two dogs ran into the inside part of my knee at the correct angle. It hurt more than most anything I can imagine. Really freaked outr my wife also as the Kneecap was sitting on the side of my leg. I was screaming like a girl but I also managed to knock the knee cap back into position using my fist. Needless to say I went to the orthopedic Dr the next day where they took x-rays and immobilized the knee. I was able to walk within 3 days and could also drive the stick shift at about the same time. Went back for a follow-up after 3 weeks and there was no damage. My Dr was amazed at the lack of damage considering my age (51). I was given 8 weeks of Physical therapy in order to strengthen the muscles around the knee. Lets hope Shaun's was similar although mine was not done with the force of my body landing on the leg so hopefully he didn't tear any ligaments, I had the same injury when I was 29 with the same results so we can hope.:eek:

phaedrus
02-27-2007, 02:17 PM
livingston sustains one of the most gruesome injuries in recent memory, shav terribly shatters his ankle, boozer breaks his leg - meanwhile, grant hill remains healthy. um, what?

heyman25
02-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Its all speculation, but if Shaun had listened to his grandfather and spent a year or 2 at Duke. He would have gotten stronger and probably less prone to injury. It could have happened anywhere,but in college he would be playing against guys at the same physical level and age .But he didn't and now he will have extensive rehab and might have to wait til next year.

Blue in the Face
02-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Man, that looks painful.

elvis14
02-27-2007, 06:16 PM
livingston sustains one of the most gruesome injuries in recent memory, shav terribly shatters his ankle, boozer breaks his leg - meanwhile, grant hill remains healthy. um, what?

That's too funny. It's bizzaro injury time in the NBA for Duke players. Please don't jinx Grant, he's had his share.

tombrady
02-27-2007, 08:18 PM
well, that'll about do it for livingston's career.

he tore everything:
http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2782056&name=FPT-2782056-022720&srvc=sz

no literally. everything. he's done.

freedevil
02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Tom - I take it by "he's done" that you mean he faces a steep uphill climb, and I completely agree with that. He tore everything in the book, or knee really.

This looks McGahee-esque, and he came back alright.

banneheim
02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
I hate to be pessimstic, but I hope he has put some money away. Tearing three of the four ligaments, ouch. I play pickup games with a former 76er and he said after he tore his ACL and partially MCL and he said physically he recovered but it was mental aspect he could not recover from. He said he never developed 100% mental confidence back in the knee, which ultimately ended his short career but he was about 10years older than Livingston. I know that physically he probably will recover but what about mentally? Will he hesistate to drive, pivot, dive for loose ball.....

dukelifer
02-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes- It looks as if that may be a career ender- you never know- but it does not look good with all the damage to the ligaments. You cannot help but feel bad for this kid- 21 and his dream could be over before it began.