PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial 2020-2021 Announcer Thread

MChambers
11-25-2020, 06:32 PM
I’m watching the MSU-EMU game and the color announcer (maybe Robbie Hummel) just said that Marcus Bingham of MSU needs a junior “outbreak” year. Ooofff.

uh_no
11-25-2020, 06:46 PM
I’m watching the MSU-EMU game and the color announcer (maybe Robbie Hummel) just said that Marcus Bingham of MSU needs a junior “outbreak” year. Ooofff.

yeah...i'd stay 6' away from covid jokes for the foreseeable future.

MChambers
11-25-2020, 08:00 PM
Turns out the announcer is Jess Settles, a former Iowa player, who is a basketball analyst and farmer. I think he was trying to say “breakout” and got confused. He should do tractor commercials.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/business/local/ex-iowa-hawkeye-settles-living-his-dream-as-farmer-basketball-analyst/article_44dcaf59-dcee-562f-889d-48d8d08acbe2.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Watching Duke/MSU here, and Bilas has been very Duke positive thus far in regards to player description, calls, and general discussion.

I figure he gets so much grief when he criticizes our fellas, we should point out when he is complimentary.

rsvman
12-01-2020, 09:41 PM
Watching Duke/MSU here, and Bilas has been very Duke positive thus far in regards to player description, calls, and general discussion.

I figure he gets so much grief when he criticizes our fellas, we should point out when he is complimentary.

That's because we were losing. If we were winning he would have immediately turned to negativity.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2020, 09:42 PM
That's because we were losing. If we were winning he would have immediately turned to negativity.

This was the first ten minutes. When we were looking great.

miramar
12-01-2020, 09:43 PM

At first there was something wrong with his microphone and I was hoping they wouldn't be able to fix it.

UrinalCake
12-01-2020, 10:48 PM
I thought Bilas was pretty good. He did refer to Baker as being Matthew Hurt a couple of times, and at one point said that MSU was limiting Duke to one shot and out immediately after we had just gotten an offensive rebound. But he didn't constantly harp on the officiating so that was a huge plus (a couple days ago I watched a few minutes of a non-Duke game that he was calling and he spent the entire time complaining about missed calls and such, so it's not just our games that he does this for).

In the Coppin State game, as much as I liked seeing Will Avery on the air I have to say he was pretty bad. Tons of dead air time between him and his broadcast partner. In fairness, having an empty arena must be a huge adjustment for them, they're accustomed to having the crowd to fill up space. But there was one play where Jalen Johnson stripped the point guard at the top of the key, then dove for the ball as it fell out of bounds. It was an amazing and exciting play that was met with silence. Totally reminded me of that scene from Major League when Bob Eucker passes out drunk and his partner has to pick up the call, and an outfielder makes a crazy diving catch and the announcer is just like "fly ball.... caught."

rsvman
12-01-2020, 10:55 PM
It wasn't Bilas who mistook Baker for Hurt.

budwom
12-02-2020, 08:27 AM
First game on my new pandemic TV, and the mute button works great.

uh_no
12-08-2020, 11:52 PM
i said it in the in game, and i'll say it here:

Bilas comparing the players to essential workers is an insult to essential workers. I'm sure my friends in the pulmonology department would love to educate him on what actual essential workers have to put up with.

CoachJ10
12-08-2020, 11:55 PM
No idea what Jay Bilas did tonight. It sure wasn’t providing insight on the basketball game being played. This was not only a mailed in effort, but he was just flat out wrong on about 1/2 dozen obvious calls. And his bizarre rant at the end...oy.

It’s a really, really bad outing when jay can say to tv teddy, hold my beer...

SouthernDukie
12-08-2020, 11:59 PM
In the name of everything that is holy, I beg ESPN not to assign Jay Billis to another Duke game. He was truly intolerable tonight!

-jk
12-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Jay did get a nice jab at Fester, though!

-jk

Bluedog
12-09-2020, 12:02 AM
Yeah I thought Jay was quite bad tonight after a solid performance in the MSU game. In addition to the aforementioned rants (which I agree with the above posters), he suggested home court advantage in college and having fans is basically worthless?! Has he ever looked at the home/road records in conference? I thought he was a numbers guy...I was very tempted to mute but resorted I mostly tuning out. I think given it was so one sided in the second half, he was simply trying to fill airtime.

KandG
12-09-2020, 12:08 AM
No idea what Jay Bilas did tonight. It sure wasn’t providing insight on the basketball game being played.

And his bizarre rant at the end...oy.

It’s comforting to know that regardless of the state of the sport or the country or the world, bellyaching about Bilas around here never ceases.

However, I had no issue with the points he made about the total lack of any foresight by the NCAA regarding the season (punting too much to the conferences), and the fact that the players are basically being used to generate revenue and having their non-basketball activities restricted for months so as not to compromise their availability.

And for those thinking the rant came out of nowhere and had no place during the game, they had just announced the cancellation of the MSU-Virginia game. Seemed like a significant announcement worth commenting on, whether you agreed or disagreed with his perspective.

arnie
12-09-2020, 07:04 AM
It’s comforting to know that regardless of the state of the sport or the country or the world, bellyaching about Bilas around here never ceases.

However, I had no issue with the points he made about the total lack of any foresight by the NCAA regarding the season (punting too much to the conferences), and the fact that the players are basically being used to generate revenue and having their non-basketball activities restricted for months so as not to compromise their availability.

And for those thinking the rant came out of nowhere and had no place during the game, they had just announced the cancellation of the MSU-Virginia game. Seemed like a significant announcement worth commenting on, whether you agreed or disagreed with his perspective.

Didn’t stay up to the very end, so missed the typical Bilas rant. His officiating was really bad in the 1st half (did the ACC Director of Officials let him know at halftime he missed so many calls?). Or will they suspend him for a game and put him on probation?

I actually think NCAA is trying to do this right. When in COVID doubt, games are being postponed or cancelled. Seems their goal is to protect players/staff and if there were no season, I suspect more players would be COVID positive. Lastly, I believe the vast majority of coaches and players want to play b-ball this winter.

And if Bilas hates the way the NCAA is conducting the season, he should put his wallet where his mouth is and personally boycott the games.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
12-09-2020, 07:20 AM

Thank you, I absolutely agree. This is not college or “amateur” basketball. The players are being exploited for money, pure and simple. The games look like scrimmages with no fans. You got to love America, we can’t put off one damn thing to try to get this virus under control. Wait until late spring then try to play a short season and have a tournament. Some will say it’s sour grapes because we’re not good right now (Coach K acknowledged as much), but it is an accurate reflection of what is going on. As far as Duke we will be fine. We’re a young team playing the best in the country right now. Jay may be pissing off ESPN by calling out this joke of a season, but I agree the block/ charge analysis was right on, but at least they were consistent.

ClemmonsDevil
12-09-2020, 07:30 AM

Just the absolute strongest thing to me.

KandG
12-09-2020, 12:41 PM
I actually think NCAA is trying to do this right. When in COVID doubt, games are being postponed or cancelled. Seems their goal is to protect players/staff and if there were no season, I suspect more players would be COVID positive. Lastly, I believe the vast majority of coaches and players want to play b-ball this winter.

And if Bilas hates the way the NCAA is conducting the season, he should put his wallet where his mouth is and personally boycott the games.

K and Capel pretty much agree with Bilas.

Why Basketball During Covid-19 Feels Wrong To Coach K (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article247712235.html)

Capel Rips NCAA For Allowing Basketball Games (https://www.radio.com/937thefan/sports/pitt-panthers/capel-rips-ncaa-for-allowing-basketball-games)

-jk
12-09-2020, 01:15 PM
Jay for the (wrong) call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105202-illini-duke-video.html).

But a nice breakdown of why a block/charge went the way it was called.

-jk

Acymetric
12-09-2020, 01:45 PM
i said it in the in game, and i'll say it here:

Bilas comparing the players to essential workers is an insult to essential workers. I'm sure my friends in the pulmonology department would love to educate him on what actual essential workers have to put up with.

I am no fan of Bilas, but I'm pretty sure the point is that they are being (improperly) treated like essential workers, in the sense of "you are expected to show up in person during this pandemic." Which is...true. I think you misunderstood Bilas' point, because I think he would probably agree with what you're trying to get at. Essential workers is also a lot broader than just the medical field, although I'm sure you know with. Medical workers do have it worse than a lot of other essential sectors.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2020, 01:56 PM
K and Capel pretty much agree with Bilas.

Why Basketball During Covid-19 Feels Wrong To Coach K (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article247712235.html)

Capel Rips NCAA For Allowing Basketball Games (https://www.radio.com/937thefan/sports/pitt-panthers/capel-rips-ncaa-for-allowing-basketball-games)

Eagerly waiting to watch posters backpedal after attacking Bilas...

jwillfan
12-09-2020, 03:20 PM
From an Illini board, even!

Loved the follow up comment from a poster saying that if Bilas complains, that means the call was correct ;)

Jay for the (wrong) call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105202-illini-duke-video.html).

But a nice breakdown of why a block/charge went the way it was called.

-jk

-jk
12-09-2020, 03:40 PM
From an Illini board, even!

Loved the follow up comment from a poster saying that if Bilas complains, that means the call was correct ;)

It's not an Illini board, but an officiating board. Mostly HS, but some college refs, too.

-jk

ClemmonsDevil
12-09-2020, 06:52 PM
It's not an Illini board, but an officiating board. Mostly HS, but some college refs, too.

-jk

That was a terrible call. As someone whose only defensive maneuver was to draw charges and who was adept at selling them, Joey sold this one. Good for him. But he fell before contact (that isn't "turning"...that's falling) and the Illini player slid by him without enough contact. But in real time it LOOKED like a charge. And that is basketball.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-25-2020, 01:19 PM
NBA, but definitely relevant...

Watching Pelicans, heard one of the commentators say "I was going to say something positive about players diving on the floor, but I can't say anything nice about Duke. I really hate Duke."

I was floored until I looked up the announcer... Richard Jefferson. I suppose I'll give him a pass.

sagegrouse
12-25-2020, 03:18 PM
NBA, but definitely relevant...

Watching Pelicans, heard one of the commentators say "I was going to say something positive about players diving on the floor, but I can't say anything nice about Duke. I really hate Duke."

I was floored until I looked up the announcer... Richard Jefferson. I suppose I'll give him a pass.

I don't give anyone a pass for dissing one of the best basketball programs anywhere. It is strictly unprofessional

uh_no
12-25-2020, 03:19 PM
I don't give anyone a pass for dissing one of the best basketball programs anywhere. It is strictly unprofessional

Yeah I don't care what the school is, that's not professional.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-25-2020, 03:38 PM

I mean, he lost to probably our best team ever. Not surprised he is salty.

budwom
12-25-2020, 04:30 PM
maybe only the dumbaz announcers get to work on Christmas.

brevity
03-19-2021, 12:48 AM
Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-first-four-and-first-round-announcing-schedule.html) has the first round announcing teams. Locations provided by this NCAA page (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-march-madness-schedule).

FRIDAY, MARCH 19

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill & Tracy Wolfson (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#7 Florida vs #10 Virginia Tech – 12:15 PM, CBS
#8 Loyola Chicago vs #9 Georgia Tech – 4 PM, TBS
#6 San Diego State vs #11 Syracuse – 9:40 PM, CBS

Spero Dedes, Brendan Haywood & Lauren Shehadi (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#3 Arkansas vs #14 Colgate – 12:45 PM, truTV
#5 Tennessee vs #12 Oregon State – 4:30 PM, TNT
#7 Clemson vs #10 Rutgers – 9:20 PM, TBS

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner & Dana Jacobson (Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
#1 Illinois vs #16 Drexel – 1:15 PM, TBS
#4 Oklahoma State vs #13 Liberty – 6:25 PM, TBS
#5 Villanova vs #12 Winthrop – 9:57 PM, TNT

Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli & Evan Washburn (Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall)
#6 Texas Tech vs #11 Utah State – 1:45 PM, TNT
#2 Houston vs #15 Cleveland State – 7:15 PM, truTV

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel & Jamie Erdahl (Mackey Arena)
#2 Ohio State vs #15 Oral Roberts – 3 PM, CBS
#8 North Carolina vs #9 Wisconsin – 7:10 PM, CBS

Lisa Byington, Steve Smith & AJ Ross (Lucas Oil Stadium Unity South)
#1 Baylor vs #16 Hartford – 3:30 PM, truTV
#3 West Virginia vs #14 Morehead State – 9:50 PM, truTV

Tom McCarthy, Avery Johnson & AJ Ross (Lucas Oil Stadium Equality North)
#4 Purdue vs #13 North Texas – 7:25 PM, TNT

SATURDAY, MARCH 20

Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas & AJ Ross (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#5 Colorado vs #12 Georgetown – 12:15 PM, CBS
#2 Alabama vs #15 Iona – 4 PM, TBS
#6 BYU vs #11 UCLA – 9:40 PM, CBS

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson & Allie LaForce (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#4 Florida State vs #13 UNC Greensboro – 12:45 PM, truTV
#6 USC vs #11 Drake – 4:30 PM, TNT
#1 Gonzaga vs #16 Norfolk State – 9:20 PM, TBS

Brad Nessler, Steve Lavin & Evan Washburn (Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
#3 Kansas vs #14 Eastern Washington – 1:15 PM, TBS
#2 Iowa vs #15 Grand Canyon – 6:25 PM, TBS
#7 Oregon vs #10 VCU – 9:57 PM, TNT

Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli & Dana Jacobsen (Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall)
#8 LSU vs #9 St. Bonaventure – 1:45 PM, TNT
#4 Virginia vs #13 Ohio – 7:15 PM, truTV

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel & Jamie Erdahl (Mackey Arena)
#1 Michigan vs #16 Texas Southern – 3 PM, CBS
#7 UConn vs #10 Maryland – 7:10 PM, CBS

Lisa Byington, Steve Smith & Lauren Shehadi (Lucas Oil Stadium Unity South)
#5 Creighton vs #12 UC Santa Barbara – 3:30 PM, truTV
#3 Texas vs #14 Abilene Christian – 9:50 PM, truTV

Tom McCarthy, Avery Johnson & Lauren Shehadi (Lucas Oil Stadium Equality North)
#8 Oklahoma vs #9 Missouri – 7:25 PM, TNT

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2021, 08:21 AM
I could listen to Avery Johnson read a phone book. His voice just makes me smile.

Indoor66
03-19-2021, 09:07 AM
I could listen to Avery Johnson read a phone book. His voice just makes me smile.

I agree. His voice has a built in smile.

SavDukeGrad
03-19-2021, 09:55 AM
Love seeing Jim Spanarkel and Dan Bonner. Two of my favorites! Also, Jim was an acquaintance of mine at Duke.

Pghdukie
03-19-2021, 11:08 AM
How could you put on a top-notch hoops tournament without Bill Walton ?

gumbomoop
03-19-2021, 11:24 AM
Love seeing Jim Spanarkel and Dan Bonner. Two of my favorites! Also, Jim was an acquaintance of mine at Duke.

Amen, amen. Bonner is easily tops for me, has been for many years. Spanarkel second, perhaps thought not exciting enough for some, but good, steady, focused.

Also, belated thank you to brevity for the list in post #32.

brevity
03-19-2021, 02:40 PM

Well, you're not going to like this.

March Madness TV @MarchMadnessTV (https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessTV/status/1372314321082933250)

Due to Covid-19 protocols, Jim Spanarkel will not travel to Indianapolis for this week's games. He will be replaced by Grant Hill, who will now call first and second round games with Ian Eagle and Jamie Erdahl

5:30 PM · Mar 17, 2021

Articles from 247 Sports (https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-Tournament-2021-Jim-Spanarkel-CBS-Sports-to-miss-games-due-to-COVID-19-162597583/) and AOL/The Spun (https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/analyst-ruled-out-for-first-two-ncaa-tournament-rounds) don't say much more.

SavDukeGrad
03-19-2021, 02:51 PM

March Madness TV @MarchMadnessTV (https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessTV/status/1372314321082933250)

Due to Covid-19 protocols, Jim Spanarkel will not travel to Indianapolis for this week's games. He will be replaced by Grant Hill, who will now call first and second round games with Ian Eagle and Jamie Erdahl

Articles from 247 Sports (https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-Tournament-2021-Jim-Spanarkel-CBS-Sports-to-miss-games-due-to-COVID-19-162597583/) and AOL/The Spun (https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/analyst-ruled-out-for-first-two-ncaa-tournament-rounds) don't say much more.

Oh no! I hope he’s ok! Well, at least we’re substituting a Dukie for a Dukie - I’m kinda partial to Grant, too.

DU82
03-19-2021, 05:12 PM

For an announcing team that was put together two days ago on the fly, Ian and Grant are doing great. (On a jumper that got stuck on the rim: "It's a wedgie!")

I'm one who would prefer Ian Eagle to be the lead announcer for CBS.

mattyoung18
03-19-2021, 07:56 PM
I love Grant Hill.I hope he's on CBS a long time.

wavedukefan70s
03-19-2021, 08:34 PM
I love Grant Hill.I hope he's on CBS a long time.

I would love to have grant and bilas do a game together.
I realize jb isn't everyone elses cup of tea.i find his knowledge second to none.

I don't always agree with him.but I believe he is a good announcer.

My apologies I'm trying a new keyboard.
This may be uglier than usual.
If that's possible.

mattyoung18
03-19-2021, 08:47 PM
I realize jb isn't everyone elses cup of tea.i find his knowledge second to none.

If that's possible.

I'm with you unless Bilas is calling a Carolina game.He seems to like them a bit too much.

SavDukeGrad
03-19-2021, 09:00 PM

I would enjoy that too. I’m sure they know each other well, since Bilas was on the coaching staff the first two years Grant played.

mattyoung18
03-19-2021, 09:10 PM
Ouch Grant with the dagger to Kenny Smith.Love it!

Bluedog
03-19-2021, 09:42 PM
Who is the color guy in this Purdue game? Never heard him before I don't think... Just started watching in OT.

Duke79UNLV77
03-19-2021, 09:49 PM
Who is the color guy in this Purdue game? Never heard him before I don't think... Just started watching in OT.

Avery Johnson. I think he's doing an excellent job. Actually talking about the game and good strategy analysis and explanations.

Bluedog
03-19-2021, 09:55 PM
Avery Johnson. I think he's doing an excellent job. Actually talking about the game and good strategy analysis and explanations.

Ah yes, thanks. He does have a distinctive voice. I thought he was coaching still. Shows how much I pay attention....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2021, 10:15 PM
As mentioned above, Avery Johnson's voice is endlessly entertaining to me.

jv001
03-20-2021, 09:58 AM
As mentioned above, Avery Johnson's voice is endlessly entertaining to me.

And Avery knows the game. I love how he adds the little things that many fans don't know or think of.

GoDuke!

brevity
03-21-2021, 12:34 AM
Sunday's announcers, according to Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-second-round-sunday-announcing-schedule.html):

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Tracy Wolfson (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#1 Illinois vs #8 Loyola Chicago – CBS, 12:10 PM
#3 West Virginia vs #11 Syracuse – CBS, 5:15 PM'
#5 Villanova vs #13 North Texas – TNT, 8:45 PM

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Baylor vs #9 Wisconsin – CBS, 2:40 PM
#3 Arkansas vs #6 Texas Tech – TNT, 6:10 PM
#4 Oklahoma State vs #12 Oregon State – TBS, 9:40 PM

Spero Dedes, Brendan Haywood, Lauren Shehadi (Lucas Oil Stadium Unity South)
#2 Houston vs #10 Rutgers – TBS, 7:10 PM

Lisa Byington, Steve Smith, TBA (Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
#7 Florida vs #15 Oral Roberts – truTV, 7:45 PM

brevity
03-22-2021, 12:29 AM
Monday's announcers, according to Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-second-round-monday-announcing-schedule.html):

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#2 Iowa vs #7 Oregon – 12:10 PM, CBS
#11 UCLA vs #14 Abilene Christian – 5:15 PM, TBS
#2 Alabama vs #10 Maryland – 8:45 PM, TNT

Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli, Lauren Shehadi (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Gonzaga vs #8 Oklahoma – 2:40 PM, CBS

Ian Eagle, Grant Hill, Jamie Erdahl (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#5 Creighton vs #13 Ohio – 6:10 PM, TNT
#3 Kansas vs #6 USC – 9:40 PM, CBS

Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, AJ Ross (Lucas Oil Stadium Unity South)
#1 Michigan vs #8 LSU – 7:10 PM, CBS

Brad Nessler, Steve Lavin, Evan Washburn (Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
#4 Florida State vs #5 Colorado – 7:45 PM, TBS

roge054
03-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Monday's announcers, according to Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-second-round-monday-announcing-schedule.html):

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#2 Iowa vs #7 Oregon – 12:10 PM, CBS
#11 UCLA vs #14 Abilene Christian – 5:15 PM, TBS
#2 Alabama vs #10 Maryland – 8:45 PM, TNT

Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli, Lauren Shehadi (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Gonzaga vs #8 Oklahoma – 2:40 PM, CBS

Ian Eagle, Grant Hill, Jamie Erdahl (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#5 Creighton vs #13 Ohio – 6:10 PM, TNT
#3 Kansas vs #6 USC – 9:40 PM, CBS

Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, AJ Ross (Lucas Oil Stadium Unity South)
#1 Michigan vs #8 LSU – 7:10 PM, CBS

Brad Nessler, Steve Lavin, Evan Washburn (Indiana Farmers Coliseum)
#4 Florida State vs #5 Colorado – 7:45 PM, TBS

Thanks brevity for putting these together. I have referenced your lists frequently.

TywinBlue
03-22-2021, 12:06 PM
Rooting for " The Fighting Allie LaForces"--Ohio U.

CBS broadcaster Allie was formerly the Bobcats point guard.
And Miss Teen USA in 2005.

Phredd3
03-22-2021, 01:12 PM

I like his knowledge. I find his voice and accent to be intensely grating for some reason. I'm so tired of hearing about the "baw" (as in "basketbaw"). But what he says about the baw is generally worth knowing, and often something I may not have seen without him. So he's still one of the best color guys.

toughbuff1
03-22-2021, 01:56 PM

If that's possible.

Bilas is great when he’s not also trying to be referee, NCAA commissioner, etc.

Dukiedevil
03-22-2021, 02:01 PM
I like his knowledge. I find his voice and accent to be intensely grating for some reason. I'm so tired of hearing about the "baw" (as in "basketbaw"). But what he says about the baw is generally worth knowing, and often something I may not have seen without him. So he's still one of the best color guys.

Also like Avery, though while he knows the game, he knows the pro game. He called out one of the coaches in an end game situation for not saving a timeout to advance the ball. That struck me as funny for some reason.

Bluedog
03-22-2021, 03:54 PM
Also like Avery, though while he knows the game, he knows the pro game. He called out one of the coaches in an end game situation for not saving a timeout to advance the ball. That struck me as funny for some reason.

Ironic given his most recent coaching stint was @Alabama through 2019 (he was there for four seasons). So, he probably knows the college rules (I hope!)...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of a brain fart.

SouthernDukie
03-22-2021, 04:06 PM
Deb Antonella is getting old with her blatant Gonzaga love calling this game right now for CBS. And I don’t think Carter Blackburn is far behind her. Objectivity is not their name right now.

DU82
03-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Deb Antonella is getting old with her blatant Gonzaga love calling this game right now for CBS. And I don’t think Carter Blackburn is far behind her. Objectivity is not their name right now.

Debbie Antonelli / biased commentary. I’m shocked, shocked.

SouthernDukie
03-22-2021, 05:24 PM
Debbie Antonelli / biased commentary. I’m shocked, shocked.

Enough to turn me from a Gonzaga neutral viewer to a Gonzaga must lose viewer. Well, the officials helped with that too.

jwillfan
03-22-2021, 08:30 PM
These announcers on the FSU-Col game are...sedated..monotone

uh_no
03-22-2021, 09:14 PM
after franz wagner had a breakaway dunk:

Franz will pump you up!

Wonder if Hans feels left out.

DU82
03-22-2021, 09:15 PM

He traveled too much.

uh_no
03-22-2021, 09:16 PM
He traveled too much.

probably using flabosuction.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-22-2021, 09:40 PM

30 years ago he could have done a nice endorsement deal with the Reebok Pump.

jb75
03-22-2021, 11:11 PM
Although not calling any tournament games, I bet Bill Walton somewhere is touting "the Conference of Champions".

uh_no
03-22-2021, 11:42 PM
Although not calling any tournament games, I bet Bill Walton somewhere is touting "the Conference of Champions".

bill walton is undoubtedly keeping precise tabs on FSU, who currently holds the title which bears his name

Hartford Dukie
03-23-2021, 12:03 AM

As well he should, 4 teams in the Sweet Sixteen, while nobody has more than 2...and the supposedly two "top" conferences, the BIG and Big 12 have one each.

brevity
03-27-2021, 03:41 AM
Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16-announcing-schedule.html) has your weekend all planned out. Now with 100% more Spanarkel! (https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/status/1374207836977311746)

SATURDAY, MARCH 27

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#8 Loyola Chicago vs #12 Oregon State – 2:40 PM, CBS
#3 Arkansas vs #15 Oral Roberts – 7:25 PM, TBS

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Baylor vs #5 Villanova – 5:15 PM, CBS
#2 Houston vs #11 Syracuse – 9:55 PM, TBS

SUNDAY, MARCH 28

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Jamie Erdahl (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Gonzaga vs #5 Creighton – 2:10 PM, CBS
#2 Alabama vs #11 UCLA – 7:15 PM, TBS

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#1 Michigan vs #4 Florida State – 5:00 PM, CBS
#6 USC vs #7 Oregon – 9:45 PM TBS

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2021, 03:50 AM
Glad to see Spanarkel back in the chair!

arnie
03-27-2021, 07:11 AM
Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16-announcing-schedule.html) has your weekend all planned out. Now with 100% more Spanarkel! (https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw/status/1374207836977311746)

SATURDAY, MARCH 27

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson (Bankers Life Fieldhouse)
#8 Loyola Chicago vs #12 Oregon State – 2:40 PM, CBS
#3 Arkansas vs #15 Oral Roberts – 7:25 PM, TBS

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Hinkle Fieldhouse)
#1 Baylor vs #5 Villanova – 5:15 PM, CBS
#2 Houston vs #11 Syracuse – 9:55 PM, TBS

SUNDAY, MARCH 28

#2 Alabama vs #11 UCLA – 7:15 PM, TBS

#6 USC vs #7 Oregon – 9:45 PM TBS

Excellent group of announcers who will likely:
1) keep up with the play-by-play
2) provide even handed commentary
3) refrain from officiating every call/non-call
4) not discuss their own accomplishments/acquaintances incessantly
5) ask producer not to split the screen during live action

Looking forward to more non-ESPN telecasts

TywinBlue
03-27-2021, 07:35 AM
May LaForce Be With You !

uh_no
03-27-2021, 08:52 AM
nantz re-signed with cbs for another 14 years or something.

Tripping William
03-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Kevin Harlan and Smilin’ Dan Bonner do a really good job.

mattyoung18
03-27-2021, 09:12 PM
I like all of the CBS crew.Glad they took off C. WEBB.

Bluedog
03-27-2021, 09:16 PM
Kevin Harlan and Smilin’ Dan Bonner do a really good job.

They are fantastic.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2021, 09:33 PM
Dan Bonner is the best color guy in college. And has been for over 20 years.

SavDukeGrad
03-27-2021, 09:37 PM

Totally agree!

arnie
03-27-2021, 09:42 PM

I’ve always thought so as well. He’s not full of himself.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2021, 09:44 PM
I knew Bonner played at UVa, but did not realize until just looking it up that he coached their women’s team for two years.

brevity
03-28-2021, 04:12 PM
SUNDAY, MARCH 28

This is dumb. Why create an hourlong gap between two games in separate arenas?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Agree. And as a result, the late game starts at 9:45 ET on a Sunday night, so they will be losing a lot of east coast fans. I also don't understand why on both days, the winner of the earliest game plays the winner of the latest game - with only one day off in between games, they extra eight hours does make a difference. Gonzaga can now go rest up while their opponent won't be finishing until midnight local time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2021, 04:16 PM

I don't understand anything about the scheduling this year. Why the delay between games? Why have games Saturday-Tuesday when no one is traveling from last weekend?

brevity
03-28-2021, 04:25 PM
Why have games Saturday-Tuesday when no one is traveling from last weekend?

I suspect this has something to do with CBS' prime time schedule (https://deadline.com/cbs-schedule-fall-2020/). They would rather pre-empt Mondays than Thursdays.

I'm not as sure about Tuesdays vs. Fridays, though I wouldn't mind seeing NCIS fans and Blue Bloods fans in a street fight. It's moot anyway, as Tuesday's Elite Eight games are on TBS.

-jk
03-28-2021, 04:28 PM

Well, between 3 minutes TOs and a 20 minute halftime, it's not an hour gap. Unless they game goes at a really fast clip!

Does seem excessive. Our TV overlords are quite practiced at having games run into each other!

More time for ads?

-jk

SouthernDukie
03-28-2021, 06:06 PM
Kenny Smith at the half yapping about how his UNC teams could make Johnny Dawkins look bad. UGH...

brevity
03-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Kenny Smith at the half yapping about how his UNC teams could make Johnny Dawkins look bad. UGH...

Yeah, he was insulting Johnny Dawkins in order to compliment Charles Barkley as a player. Who knew you still needed insurance from bus injuries 35 years after graduation?

Owen Meany
03-28-2021, 09:40 PM
It sounds like Spanarkle is doing the Bama/UCLA game (which I now see in this thread). While googling to see if it was him, I saw that Spanarkle is no longer doing Nets games as of this year. It's a shame he was let go after so many years right when the Nets appear to be on the verge of reaching new heights (in the NBA at least). I also didn't realize that Spanarkle once lead the Mavericks in scoring.

Bluedog
03-28-2021, 09:52 PM
Well, between 3 minutes TOs and a 20 minute halftime, it's not an hour gap. Unless they game goes at a really fast clip!

Does seem excessive. Our TV overlords are quite practiced at having games run into each other!

More time for ads?

-jk

Yep, as evidenced by the UCLA-Bama game going into the Oregon-USC game. Long reviews, FTs and OT will do that. Although shouldn't really matter because I think everyone who has TBS also has TNT...

mattyoung18
03-28-2021, 10:27 PM

Kenneth is a sore loser since the cheats got BOuncED.

kako
03-28-2021, 11:18 PM
It sounds like Spanarkle is doing the Bama/UCLA game (which I now see in this thread). While googling to see if it was him, I saw that Spanarkle is no longer doing Nets games as of this year. It's a shame he was let go after so many years right when the Nets appear to be on the verge of reaching new heights (in the NBA at least). I also didn't realize that Spanarkle once lead the Mavericks in scoring.

Spanarkel was out last week due to COVID reasons. The network didn't elaborate on it. GHill took his spot with Ian Eagle. Very glad to see him back today. He had a funny comment about the length of his shorts versus what players wear now - a replay showed a ball went off the loose fabric of a Bama player's shorts. If he had worn the Daisy Dukes of Spanarkel's day, Bama would have kept the ball!

I've said this many times - Spanarkel's number should be up in the rafters at Cameron.

9F

kako
03-28-2021, 11:22 PM
I suspect this has something to do with CBS' prime time schedule (https://deadline.com/cbs-schedule-fall-2020/). They would rather pre-empt Mondays than Thursdays.

I'm not as sure about Tuesdays vs. Fridays, though I wouldn't mind seeing NCIS fans and Blue Bloods fans in a street fight. It's moot anyway, as Tuesday's Elite Eight games are on TBS.

Someone told me that several of the courts that they are using were already booked for Thurs/Friday last week. What I was thinking was that they wanted to give as much time between the 2nd round and S16 due to potential COVID protocols. Not sure if it's either.

9F

brevity
03-28-2021, 11:59 PM
NCAA (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-03-28/cbs-sports-and-turner-sports-announce-tip-times-and-matchups-regional-finals) (and not Awful Announcing) has the people calling the Elite Eight:

MONDAY, MARCH 29

Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Jamie Erdahl (Lucas Oil Stadium North)
(12) Oregon State vs. (2) Houston, 7:15 p.m. CBS

Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson (Lucas Oil Stadium South)
(3) Arkansas vs. (1) Baylor, 9:57 p.m. CBS

TUESDAY, MARCH 30

Kevin Harlan, Dan Bonner, Dana Jacobson (Lucas Oil Stadium North)
(6) USC vs. (1) Gonzaga, 7:15 p.m. TBS

Brian Anderson, Jim Jackson, Allie LaForce (Lucas Oil Stadium South)
(11) UCLA vs. (1) Michigan, 9:57 p.m. TBS

brevity
04-03-2021, 04:45 AM
Awful Announcing (https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/your-2021-ncaa-tournament-announcer-rankings.html) does an annual poll of NCAA Tournament broadcaster rankings (based on 16,000 votes after the first two rounds).

10. Lisa Byington and Steve Smith
9. Carter Blackburn and Debbie Antonelli
8. Tom McCarthy and Avery Johnson
7. Spero Dedes and Brendan Haywood
6. Andrew Catalon and Steve Lappas
5. Brian Anderson and Jim Jackson
4. Brad Nessler and Steve Lavin
3. Jim Nantz and Bill Raftery
2. Kevin Harlan and Dan Bonner
1. Ian Eagle and Grant Hill

Reminder that the #3 team on this list is calling the Final Four, with some help from the #1 analyst. The announcing schedule (https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-2021-final-four-announcing-schedule.html):

SATURDAY, APRIL 3

Pregame

"At The Final Four" – 2 PM, CBS
Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Seth Davis, Candace Parker

"The Final Four Show" – 3 PM, CBS
Ernie Johnson, Greg Gumbel, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith, Seth Davis, Candace Parker

Final Four

#1 Baylor vs #2 Houston – 5:14 PM
CBS television: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
Westwood One: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

#1 Gonzaga vs #11 UCLA – 8:34 PM
Westwood One radio: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

MONDAY, APRIL 5

Pregame

"Prelude to a Championship" – 8:30 PM, CBS
Greg Gumbel, Charles Barkley, Clark Kellogg, Kenny Smith

National Championship

Baylor/Houston vs Gonzaga/UCLA – 9:20 PM
Westwood One radio: Kevin Kugler, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Jackson

One Shining Moment

Around 2:30 AM
Starring Hep Cronin, Sister Jean, Jalen Rose, and Drew Timme's handlebar mustache

heyman25
04-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Count me as a critic of Bill Raftery. His cliche laden remarks are Cringeworthy. Hoping he will get the boot soon like CBS did with Billy Packer."The Kiss" off the glass.Can't stand him.

brevity
04-06-2021, 01:11 AM
Count me as a critic of Bill Raftery. His cliche laden remarks are Cringeworthy. Hoping he will get the boot soon like CBS did with Billy Packer."The Kiss" off the glass.Can't stand him.

This post aged pretty well. Twitter is still scratching their collective heads over Bill Raftery's "lingerie on the deck, call the janitor" line in the national championship game.

Completely unrelated news. Deadline: ESPN & Paul Pierce Part Ways After His Wild Instagram Live (https://deadline.com/2021/04/paul-pierce-espn-fired-nba-analyst-instagram-1234728287/)

Antics on social media appear to have claimed another victim. ESPN and its NBA analyst Paul Pierce have parted ways in the wake of his wild Instagram Live that included pot smoking and scantily clad exotic dancers.

Maybe this is what Raftery was talking about?

hallcity
04-16-2021, 12:03 PM
Dan Dakich is telling Sports Media Watch (https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw)that he expects that ESPN will drop him.

Thank goodness. I never want to hear that jerk's voice again.

uh_no
04-16-2021, 12:15 PM
Dan Dakich is telling Sports Media Watch (https://twitter.com/paulsen_smw)that he expects that ESPN will drop him.

oh no. anyway....

tommy
04-16-2021, 03:53 PM

If he is in fact dropped, I will consider that to be evidence of the existence of a higher being.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2021, 04:48 PM

Onions!

DoubleBlue
04-16-2021, 07:24 PM
(posted incorrectly in the 'Dukies in the NBA' thread):
I've grown to like the Pelicans TV announcers, Joel Meyers and Antonio Daniels.
I also like (my hometown) Sixers TV announcers, Marc Zumoff and (former Dukie) Alaa Abdelnaby.