PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Coppin St (Sat 11/28, 2:00 pm, ACCNX) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
11-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Let's try this again, shall we?

Duke looks to open its season on Saturday afternoon by facing Coppin State. The Eagles call Baltimore, Maryland their home and are coached by a familiar face, Baltimore native Juan Dixon. The former Terrapin and NBA player is entering his 4th season as a head coach and looks to build off of slow but steady progress. Dixon has won 5, 8, and then 11 games as head coach and finished 7-9 in the MEAC last season. His team is about the weakest opponent that Duke should face this season. Coppin State comes in at 332 in KenPom and 313 in T-Rank. They were an absolutely atrocious shooting team last season, hitting just 28.1% of their 3-point attempts and just 63.6% from the free throw line. They do not have much size, either, as they have one player that stands above 6'7" on their roster after 7'1" C Brendan Medley-Bacon transferred to VCU.

We should see a pretty fast pace in this one. KenPom rates the Eagles a top 25 team in terms of tempo after ranking 12th-fastest last season. This should give the team a decent warmup before the Michigan State game on Tuesday night. I expect to see nearly everyone on Duke's roster get a few minutes in this one. Let's root for health for everyone involved. Go Duke!

CDu
11-25-2020, 02:50 PM
Note: I'm doing this scouting report hesitantly, as it may prove to be a waste of time based on what we've already seen happen this season. But, here goes.

Coppin State is a program in transition. Juan Dixon has brought in 7 new faces (2 freshmen, 3 JuCo transfers, 2 regular transfers) to a team that was pretty bad last year (11-20 overal, 7-9 in the MEAC). They also lost their starting center (Medley-Bacon) to transfer to VCU and a few other key players to graduation. It's going to be a very different looking team this year.

They will play small and fast, and will shoot a lot of 3s. They don't get many rebounds and they don't block shots, but they are not awful at forcing turnovers. It's likely to be a bad team again (that's life in the MEAC).

C: They only have one on the roster in Kenan Sarvan (6'10", 225lb redshirt freshman from the Netherlands). It's unclear how much he'll play this year, as he was a redshirt last year. I suspect they'll go more forward heavy given their incoming group in the frontcourt (see below).

Forwards: Anthony Tarke (6'6", 220lb grad transfer from UTEP/NJIT), Domantas Sakickas (6'7", 230lb JuCo transfer from Lithuania), and Bryce Hunt (6'7", 225lb junior JuCo transfer) are new to the lineup and are likely to make up the frontcourt for the Eagles. Tarke is athletic with a chiseled frame, and plays a high-energy game. He's not a great shooter (not abysmal for a forward, but not great), and is sort of in the Henry Coleman ilk. Bryce Hunt is a slightly bigger version of the same concept, but with less shooting skill. Sakickas is a little more of a shooter and less athletic than the other two, but he's still got the rugged build to bang inside.

Wings: Koby Thomas (6'6", 190lb fifth-year senior after 2 years at RoMo) is the star of the team, a senior returning as their leading scorer last year. Thomas is a fantastic athlete whose skill set is playing catchup. He's dangerous in transition, plays above the rim, and is capable of picking up steals and blocks, but his shooting touch is quite raw. He's the type of player who feasts off mistakes and opportunity buckets rather than a polished scorer. Because of his length and athleticism, he could play some smallball 4 for them if needed. Chereef Knox (6'5", 210lb sophomore transfer from St Joe's) is not as athletic but more smooth and polished on the wing, with a little more of an outside shooting touch. Reggie James (6'4", 195lb sophomore) is athletic with a decent shooting touch coming off the bench. Redshirt freshman Isiah Gross (6'4", 210lb) Anthony Tarke's little brother Nendah Tarke (6'4", 190lb freshman) round out the group, but should probably play sparingly.

Guards: Dejuan Clayton (6'2", 185lb 5th year senior) is the other star of the team. He's a downhill-type lead guard who forces turnovers, scores in transition, and handles the ball really well, but isn't much of a shooter. He's a veteran and one of the stars of the MEAC though, so our guards should be wary. Behind him is Dwaine Jones (6'5", 175lb freshman). Jones is a role-playing style PG, pass-first and defense-first.

The team should be a bit more dynamic and versatile this year, and could give a guy like Hurt trouble with their physicality and athleticism. So that'll be a nice first test for our sophomore F/C. Clayton should be a nice test for Roach as well, given his experience and savvy. And the Thomas/Moore matchup could be fun as well.

In all, it's a veteran opponent that plays a frenetic style, so that could be challenging for an opener. But in terms of talent, we're talking night and day between Duke and Coppin State, even with this not being as top-heavy a Duke team as we are used to seeing.

budwom
11-25-2020, 02:52 PM
losing a starting center named Bacon has to hurt them, Cdu, right?

MChambers
11-25-2020, 03:18 PM
losing a starting center named Bacon has to hurt them, Cdu, right?

Not just Bacon, but Medley-Bacon. Eggs and bacon, scallops wrapped in bacon, onion and bacon tart, and so on.

TJ99
11-25-2020, 03:30 PM
I think we should all prepare for Saturday's game to be canceled too...per twitter :

Coppin State announces its men's basketball games today and tomorrow at the Marshall Memorial MTE have been cancelled because of COVID-19 issues with Tier 1 personnel. I am told the issues are with Coppin. @WMAR2News

DavidBenAkiva
11-25-2020, 03:37 PM
Son of a ............ I am a total wanker

MChambers
11-25-2020, 03:49 PM
I think we should all prepare for Saturday's game to be canceled too...per twitter :

Coppin State announces its men's basketball games today and tomorrow at the Marshall Memorial MTE have been cancelled because of COVID-19 issues with Tier 1 personnel. I am told the issues are with Coppin. @WMAR2News

On the bright side, it could mean we don't have to figure out how to stream the game to our televisions from some other device.

Gonna be a weird season, if there is one. I'm fine with calling it off now, however.

hallcity
11-25-2020, 03:56 PM

Can't they find some other team that needs a game? I NEED to watch some Duke hoops!

duke79
11-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Can't they find some other team that needs a game? I NEED to watch some Duke hoops!

Maybe one of the high schools in Durham would like to scrimmage? Or maybe the Duke women's team?

uh_no
11-25-2020, 04:13 PM

the women played a great game earlier :)

dukelifer
11-25-2020, 04:21 PM

Great - a team of Freshman get to play their first game against MI State - Geez.

chrishoke
11-25-2020, 04:24 PM
What is "Tier 1 personnel?"

JasonEvans
11-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Son of a ....... I am a total wanker

https://media1.giphy.com/media/11tTNkNy1SdXGg/200.gif

MartyClark
11-25-2020, 05:09 PM
Great - a team of Freshman get to play their first game against MI State - Geez.

Trial by fire for our young guys. Let's see what they got!

budwom
11-25-2020, 05:10 PM
every team is a salmon this season, swimming upstream.

Troublemaker
11-25-2020, 05:16 PM
What is "Tier 1 personnel?"

Yeah, I was thinking like a Navy Seal at first, but, from an NCAA document on Covid (http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/faq-principles-resocialization-collegiate-basketball-and-testing-considerations-all-sports):

Tier 1: This is the highest exposure tier and consists of individuals for whom physical distancing and face coverings are not possible or effective during athletic training or competition. Examples of relevant individuals include student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and physical therapists, medical staff, equipment staff and officials.

Yup, not ideal. I know someone's going to bring up the 2018-19 team crushing Kentucky in its first game, but:

(1) Crucially, that was also Kentucky's first game of the season, and they also relied heavily on freshmen. MSU will potentially have two games under its belt while Duke has none, and MSU will be much less reliant on freshmen in the first place

(2) We had two top-5 picks in Zion and RJ.

dukelifer
11-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I was thinking like a Navy Seal at first, but, from an NCAA document on Covid (http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/faq-principles-resocialization-collegiate-basketball-and-testing-considerations-all-sports):

Tier 1: This is the highest exposure tier and consists of individuals for whom physical distancing and face coverings are not possible or effective during athletic training or competition. Examples of relevant individuals include student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and physical therapists, medical staff, equipment staff and officials.

Yup, not ideal. I know someone's going to bring up the 2018-19 team crushing Kentucky in its first game, but:

(1) Crucially, that was also Kentucky's first game of the season, and they also relied heavily on freshmen. MSU will potentially have two games under its belt while Duke has none, and MSU will be much less reliant on freshmen in the first place

(2) We had two top-5 picks in Zion and RJ.

And the team played several games in Canada- albeit not at full strength

gep
11-25-2020, 05:21 PM
So much for our cupcake non-conference schedule. Who knows... might end up with only MI State and Illinois... ironic. COVID does suck

hustleplays
11-25-2020, 06:13 PM
every team is a salmon this season, swimming upstream.

Budwom, i hope that your apt salmon metaphor isn’t completely accurate. Taking comfort in the knowledge that “no metaphor walks on all fours” [which seems to privilege quadrupeds], we know that salmon are swimming upstream to spawn [I hope that this does not automatically trigger I am a wanker] and if they are strong and determined enough to [don’t want to be a wanker] they die.
In all seriousness, I find it intriguing that our society, including Duke, so strenuously strives to play a game, when there are life and death consequences. I mean I LOVE Duke basketball, but I certainly would not want one human being to suffer grievously or die from COVID, so that I could watch a college basketball game.

hallcity
11-25-2020, 06:55 PM
ECU needs a game (https://www.wnct.com/local-news/ecu-mens-basketball-pulls-out-of-season-opening-tournament-due-to-covid-19-concerns/). Just saying.

rsvman
11-25-2020, 08:50 PM

That worked out pretty well for a very young team starting out against Kentucky a couple of years ago, if I did my math correctly.

TJ99
11-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Stephen Wiseman
@stevewisemanNC

Saturday's Coppin State at Duke is on, for now. After positive test among Coppin personnel canceled games Weds and Thursday at Marshall tournament, medical staffs from Duke and Coppin are collaborating. Test results Thursday and Friday will determine if game is played Saturday

uh_no
11-25-2020, 09:07 PM
Stephen Wiseman
@stevewisemanNC

Saturday's Coppin State at Duke is on, for now. After positive test among Coppin personnel canceled games Weds and Thursday at Marshall tournament, medical staffs from Duke and Coppin are collaborating. Test results Thursday and Friday will determine if game is played Saturday

kind of surprised the university is risking that. maybe now that students are gone, they have a bit more wiggle room.

UrinalCake
11-25-2020, 09:44 PM
So if it was a coach or a trainer that tested positive, presumably if everybody else on the team and staff tests negative between now and Saturday and has not been in close contact with the infected person then they could still play? I wonder what parameters Duke themselves would establish in order to feel comfortable playing.

UrinalCake
11-26-2020, 08:15 AM
And the team played several games in Canada- albeit not at full strength

Plus a couple regular exhibition games after that, and Countdown. And they had an entire summer of being on campus, taking classes, getting to know each other and acclimating to college. By the time that team played Kentucky they had had been playing together in some form for like five months. RJ had experience on the Canadian junior national team, and Zion had a billion followers so they were accustomed to the spotlight.

Coach K’s teams always start out strong, but facing MSU as their very first game would be a tall order.

mo.st.dukie
11-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Budwom, i hope that your apt salmon metaphor isn’t completely accurate. Taking comfort in the knowledge that “no metaphor walks on all fours” [which seems to privilege quadrupeds], we know that salmon are swimming upstream to spawn [I hope that this does not automatically trigger I am a wanker] and if they are strong and determined enough to [don’t want to be a wanker] they die.
In all seriousness, I find it intriguing that our society, including Duke, so strenuously strives to play a game, when there are life and death consequences. I mean I LOVE Duke basketball, but I certainly would not want one human being to suffer grievously or die from COVID, so that I could watch a college basketball game.

I mean, it's not just for you or any of us to watch, the players kimd of like to play and the coaches kind of like to coach. Some would even say it's a passion. And oh yeah, it's a livelihood for many people, and I'm not just talkimg about the millionaire coaches and the NCAA, I'm talking about the assistant coaches, trainimg staffs, camera crews, refs, etc.

I don't want to see people get COVID or die from COVID but it's also never been as simple as saying let's lock eveybody up in their homes for a year. That would be a death too, a death of the soul. I am pro-mask, pro-social distancing, and anit-large gatherings but I think it would be wrong to ban any and all human endeavors that bring some level of joy and happiness.

dukelifer
11-26-2020, 12:09 PM
I mean, it's not just for you or any of us to watch, the players kimd of like to play and the coaches kind of like to coach. Some would even say it's a passion. And oh yeah, it's a livelihood for many people, and I'm not just talkimg about the millionaire coaches and the NCAA, I'm talking about the assistant coaches, trainimg staffs, camera crews, refs, etc.

I don't want to see people get COVID or die from COVID but it's also never been as simple as saying let's lock eveybody up in their homes for a year. That would be a death too, a death of the soul. I am pro-mask, pro-social distancing, and anit-large gatherings but I think it would be wrong to ban any and all human endeavors that bring some level of joy and happiness.
For fans, basketball is entertainment. It brings me joy and happiness to attend games and to watch them with all the hoopla and fan involvement. It is what makes college ball fun. This does not feel fun. The likely cancellations and uneven schedules just adds to the disappointment. Duke may likely be a week behind every other team out of the gate. It feels like a second-rate entertainment product designed to look the real thing. They need this season to pay the bills and I will likely watch- but there will be a big asterisk to this regular season in my personal history book. The tourney may be better- but that remains to be seen. There are many activities or forms of entertainment to derive joy and happiness- but a basketball season that feels forced is not going to do it for me.

budwom
11-26-2020, 12:23 PM
For fans, basketball is entertainment. It brings me joy and happiness to attend games and to watch them with all the hoopla and fan involvement. It is what makes college ball fun. This does not feel fun. The likely cancellations and uneven schedules just adds to the disappointment. Duke may likely be a week behind every other team out of the gate. It feels like a second-rate entertainment product designed to look the real thing. They need this season to pay the bills and I will likely watch- but there will be a big asterisk to this regular season in my personal history book. The tourney may be better- but that remains to be seen. There are many activities or forms of entertainment to derive joy and happiness- but a basketball season that feels forced is not going to do it for me.

I largely feel the same way. Yes, I'd like to see a normal, happy go lucky season, but we absolutely aren't going to have that this year if we aim to play most of the games in the December through March time frame...hence the salmon analogy, none of it is going to come easily....if the epidemiologists are to be believed (and I think they are), and if much of the nation continues to behave, how should I put this, suboptimally,? Then it's going to be a slog every step of the way, and that does suck a lot of the joy out of the experience. I'm hoping for the best, but expectations are pretty low right now.

Kedsy
11-26-2020, 01:16 PM
So if it was a coach or a trainer that tested positive, presumably if everybody else on the team and staff tests negative between now and Saturday and has not been in close contact with the infected person then they could still play? I wonder what parameters Duke themselves would establish in order to feel comfortable playing.

Testing negative may not be enough. It depends on when the Coppin players were last exposed to the carriers. If the exposure was within four days, the false negative rate is apparently between 67% and 100%. Even on the first day of reported symptoms (if the player is symptomatic), the false negative rate is almost 40%. I'll be surprised and disappointed if Duke is willing to take chances with those kinds of numbers.

hustleplays
11-26-2020, 03:28 PM

Dear mo.st.dukie, first, let me be clear, I’m not judging anyone else for watching...and wanting to watch. I will watch the games, with profound gratitude. Perhaps that makes me inconsistent, but if I watch or don’t watch, the games will go on, and I am not striving for moral purity.

Your points are totally on the mark, IMO. As I reflect honestly on my post, I do think that I oversimplified. I was focusing on my own internal calculus: if lives were saved, suffering diminished, would I mind not watching Duke basketball? Of course not. But you point to the larger picture, and I agree with it. I have never been a risk-averse person and affirm that living to the fullest means optimizing risk, not eliminating it. I have ridden motorcycles for many years and am fully aware of the risks involved. No doubt a stupid decision from others POVs, and I wouldn’t refute that. But as you say, there are passions. And then there are livelihoods. College basketball surely does provide a tremendous venue for both.

So, thank you reminding me of the fuller picture. Life well lived isn’t one of focusing on avoiding risks, it’s using our gifts to the fullest toward worthy ends, and assuming the attendant risks, without fear, and with gratitude.

I hope that all of you have a blessed, happy Thanksgiving!

Sure hope that Coppin State has their act together. Go Duke!

Hustleplays

Music man55
11-26-2020, 04:14 PM
This season is going to be un-like any we’ve ever seen, provided they can have one. Like others, I would love to see our blue devils take the court. If that can’t happen I have already resigned to the fact it’s not meant to be this year. Our biggest concern is for everybody to stay as safe as they can . Here’s hoping we can stay safe and still enjoy college basketball . Fingers crossed!

SilkyJ
11-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Testing negative may not be enough. It depends on when the Coppin players were last exposed to the carriers. If the exposure was within four days, the false negative rate is apparently between 67% and 100%. Even on the first day of reported symptoms (if the player is symptomatic), the false negative rate is almost 40%. I'll be surprised and disappointed if Duke is willing to take chances with those kinds of numbers.

Wow those are staggeringly high percentages for false negative. Didn’t realize that. Agree with your assessment. Would say its almost not even worth testing until you’re outside the 4-day window (I’m taking 4 days from your post), assuming false negatives drop precipitously thereafter.

Kedsy
11-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Wow those are staggeringly high percentages for false negative. Didn’t realize that. Agree with your assessment. Would say its almost not even worth testing until you’re outside the 4-day window (I’m taking 4 days from your post), assuming false negatives drop precipitously thereafter.

Yes, it drops hard after four days. From the articles I've read, the tests are most reliable four days after symptoms or eight days after exposure. Which is going to make it hard to play basketball this season, or at least hard to play it safely.

budwom
11-27-2020, 08:32 AM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2020/11/24/why-college-basketball-tipoff-wednesday-is-bad-idea/6415196002/

Dan Wolken from USA Today on how colleges aren't ready for hoops.....one athletic director thinking his school may play more football games than hoop games.

JasonEvans
11-27-2020, 11:21 AM
Twitter seems to be saying that as of this morning the game is still on. I've gone from very, very pessimistic a couple days ago to thinking there is like a 50-50 shot at getting this game played.

TruBlu
11-27-2020, 11:35 AM
Twitter seems to be saying that as of this morning the game is still on. I've gone from very, very pessimistic a couple days ago to thinking there is like a 50-50 shot at getting this game played.

I’m just the opposite. I think there’s a 50-50 chance the game will not be played. 😊

uh_no
11-27-2020, 11:51 AM

I’m just the opposite. I think there’s a 50-50 chance the game will not be played. 😊

it either will or it won't! that's 50/50 in my book :D :D

rsvman
11-27-2020, 12:02 PM
it either will or it won't! that's 50/50 in my book :D :D

No, that's 100% one way or the other.

Now I'm even confusing myself, lol.

DavidBenAkiva
11-27-2020, 12:39 PM
More optimism

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En2OWw6XMAgZdXF?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1332377593312587783

uh_no
11-27-2020, 01:18 PM
More optimism

maybe they're suggesting that "one day, we will play basketball again...

Neals384
11-27-2020, 02:44 PM
Note: I'm doing this scouting report hesitantly, as it may prove to be a waste of time based on what we've already seen happen this season. But, here goes.

Coppin State is a program in transition. Juan Dixon has brought in 7 new faces (2 freshmen, 3 JuCo transfers, 2 regular transfers) to a team that was pretty bad last year (11-20 overal, 7-9 in the MEAC). They also lost their starting center (Medley-Bacon) to transfer to VCU and a few other key players to graduation. It's going to be a very different looking team this year.

They will play small and fast, and will shoot a lot of 3s. They don't get many rebounds and they don't block shots, but they are not awful at forcing turnovers. It's likely to be a bad team again (that's life in the MEAC).

C: They only have one on the roster in Kenan Sarvan (6'10", 225lb redshirt freshman from the Netherlands). It's unclear how much he'll play this year, as he was a redshirt last year. I suspect they'll go more forward heavy given their incoming group in the frontcourt (see below).

Forwards: Anthony Tarke (6'6", 220lb grad transfer from UTEP/NJIT), Domantas Sakickas (6'7", 230lb JuCo transfer from Lithuania), and Bryce Hunt (6'7", 225lb junior JuCo transfer) are new to the lineup and are likely to make up the frontcourt for the Eagles. Tarke is athletic with a chiseled frame, and plays a high-energy game. He's not a great shooter (not abysmal for a forward, but not great), and is sort of in the Henry Coleman ilk. Bryce Hunt is a slightly bigger version of the same concept, but with less shooting skill. Sakickas is a little more of a shooter and less athletic than the other two, but he's still got the rugged build to bang inside.

Wings: Koby Thomas (6'6", 190lb fifth-year senior after 2 years at RoMo) is the star of the team, a senior returning as their leading scorer last year. Thomas is a fantastic athlete whose skill set is playing catchup. He's dangerous in transition, plays above the rim, and is capable of picking up steals and blocks, but his shooting touch is quite raw. He's the type of player who feasts off mistakes and opportunity buckets rather than a polished scorer. Because of his length and athleticism, he could play some smallball 4 for them if needed. Chereef Knox (6'5", 210lb sophomore transfer from St Joe's) is not as athletic but more smooth and polished on the wing, with a little more of an outside shooting touch. Reggie James (6'4", 195lb sophomore) is athletic with a decent shooting touch coming off the bench. Redshirt freshman Isiah Gross (6'4", 210lb) Anthony Tarke's little brother Nendah Tarke (6'4", 190lb freshman) round out the group, but should probably play sparingly.

Guards: Dejuan Clayton (6'2", 185lb 5th year senior) is the other star of the team. He's a downhill-type lead guard who forces turnovers, scores in transition, and handles the ball really well, but isn't much of a shooter. He's a veteran and one of the stars of the MEAC though, so our guards should be wary. Behind him is Dwaine Jones (6'5", 175lb freshman). Jones is a role-playing style PG, pass-first and defense-first.

The team should be a bit more dynamic and versatile this year, and could give a guy like Hurt trouble with their physicality and athleticism. So that'll be a nice first test for our sophomore F/C. Clayton should be a nice test for Roach as well, given his experience and savvy. And the Thomas/Moore matchup could be fun as well.

In all, it's a veteran opponent that plays a frenetic style, so that could be challenging for an opener. But in terms of talent, we're talking night and day between Duke and Coppin State, even with this not being as top-heavy a Duke team as we are used to seeing.
-
Let's hope that Sa-kick-as Forward doesn't live up to his name.

DavidBenAkiva
11-27-2020, 02:54 PM
More optimism

Steven Wiseman of the N&O reporting Coppin State staff have tested negative and that the game is scheduled to be played on Saturday at 2 p.m.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/status/1332411921866379266

ingrjc1
11-27-2020, 05:49 PM
I have the ACC network via Uverse, so can I stream this on ESPN.com (Watch)??

Troublemaker
11-27-2020, 06:11 PM
I have the ACC network via Uverse, so can I stream this on ESPN.com (Watch)??

Yup. It'll ask you to login with your Uverse credentials.

Troublemaker
11-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Duke opens as a 36.5-pt favorite (over/under 149).

Wings: Koby Thomas (6'6", 190lb fifth-year senior after 2 years at RoMo) is the star of the team, a senior returning as their leading scorer last year.

[snip]

Guards: Dejuan Clayton (6'2", 185lb 5th year senior) is the other star of the team.

Will be interested in seeing how lockdown-ish Wendell and JGold / Jeremy are against their respective matchups above.

nocilla
11-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Can anyone suggest the most likely radio station that I'll be able to pick up the game in Emporia Virginia?

Thanks.

Troublemaker
11-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Can anyone suggest the most likely radio station that I'll be able to pick up the game in Emporia Virginia?

Thanks.

No, but if you download the TuneIn app on your phone, you can try these stations (particularly the "Duke Basketball" one from "Learfield IMG College"): https://tunein.com/radio/Duke-Blue-Devils-a37610/

revmel53
11-28-2020, 07:35 AM
I have Spectrum TV and also a subscription to ESPN + but can't find the game anywhere? I can't believe the number one followed NCAA basketball team can't be seen. Can anyone help?

TruBlu
11-28-2020, 07:43 AM
No, but if you download the TuneIn app on your phone, you can try these stations (particularly the "Duke Basketball" one from "Learfield IMG College"): https://tunein.com/radio/Duke-Blue-Devils-a37610/

Yep. I have had good luck with this App, for both basketball and football. The good thing is that you can listen to it anywhere, even when on a long drive or while doing chores. (In the case of listening to football games, do NOT do any chores using sharp instruments, nor listen to football games using ear buds if you are in polite company.)

dukebluesincebirth
11-28-2020, 07:56 AM
I have Spectrum TV and also a subscription to ESPN + but can't find the game anywhere? I can't believe the number one followed NCAA basketball team can't be seen. Can anyone help?

When you open the ESPN app, click on “WATCH”
It’s not under ESPN+. After you click “WATCH” you’ll see a bunch of games from different sports pop up. Click on “college basketball” and a bunch of college bball games should pop up. Scroll through until you find Duke-Coppin State.

cbarry
11-28-2020, 08:06 AM
I found it on the ESPN App on my smart tv. Otherwise I also saw it on my ESPN phone app, and can cast or AirPlay to the TV.

Troublemaker
11-28-2020, 11:47 AM

"ACCNX" means that you have to stream it on the ESPN app (as opposed to watching it from a channel on your cable box).

The ESPN app will ask you to login with your Spectrum credentials.

follyblue
11-28-2020, 01:24 PM
I have a uverse/directv subscription (XTRA) but the ESPN app says ACCNX is not available to me even though I get ACCN on my satellite. Anyone know how to deal with this? Would upgrading to ESPN + get me ACCNX? Time is running out.

chrishoke
11-28-2020, 01:30 PM
I have a uverse/directv subscription (XTRA) but the ESPN app says ACCNX is not available to me even though I get ACCN on my satellite. Anyone know how to deal with this? Would upgrading to ESPN + get me ACCNX? Time is running out.

Do you get the acc network w/ your uverse/directv subscription?

camion
11-28-2020, 01:34 PM
It looks like I can get it on my Apple TV's ESPN app with an ATT Uverse subscription.

Interestingly when I searched for "Duke" I didn't see it, but when I searched for "basketball" it showed up as a live event option.

-jk
11-28-2020, 01:36 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

follyblue
11-28-2020, 01:37 PM
Do you get the acc network w/ your uverse/directv subscription?

Yes. I should say I can't get the Pitt Drexel game to come up, so I am assuming I can't get the Duke game.

Troublemaker
11-28-2020, 01:43 PM

On the ESPN app, are you logged in using your uverse id and password? (Sorry, not being there, I have to ask the basic questions).

Signing up for ESPN+ would *not* give you the game, as far as I know.

Stray Gator
11-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Yes. I should say I can't get the Pitt Drexel game to come up, so I am assuming I can't get the Duke game.

The Pitt-Drexel game hasn't yet reached halftime, and the Duke game is slated to tip at 2:00 p.m. -- about 10 minutes from now. Will the ACCNX simply cut off the Pitt game and switch to the Duke game, or are we going to be limited to a live telecast of only the second half?

follyblue
11-28-2020, 01:50 PM
On the ESPN app, are you logged in using your uverse id and password? (Sorry, not being there, I have to ask the basic questions).

Signing up for ESPN+ would *not* give you the game, as far as I know.

Yes, I am signed it. I got my old apple tv box (just got a new smart tv) and it is able to stream Pitt game through app. Don't know why I can't get app to stream ACCNX on my phone. Hopefully I have fixed and this is not just a preview.

DU82
11-28-2020, 02:01 PM
The Pitt-Drexel game hasn't yet reached halftime, and the Duke game is slated to tip at 2:00 p.m. -- about 10 minutes from now. Will the ACCNX simply cut off the Pitt game and switch to the Duke game, or are we going to be limited to a live telecast of only the second half?

Both are streamed separately. Our game just started.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 02:06 PM
that is all :D :D

cbarry
11-28-2020, 02:11 PM
that is all :D :D
Lol. Not over, but we look terrible off the bat. I’ll chalk that up to jitters. Matt Hurt forgot how to shoot.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Johnson looking good. hit a runner and just got a 3.

hallcity
11-28-2020, 02:18 PM
Is the broadcast going on and off for everybody or is it just my setup?

YmoBeThere
11-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Is the broadcast going on and off for everybody or is it just my setup?

I'm not having issues.

follyblue
11-28-2020, 02:19 PM
Don’t want to hijack thread but in case anyone has a similar problem: if you have Directv and attuverse just for dsl, make sure you are signed into espn app using Directv and not unverse. I had to delete app to get it off of unverse and signed into Directv

cbarry
11-28-2020, 02:21 PM
Johnson looks great! Hurt and Moore look horrible.
Piped in “Crowd noise” is not good either.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 02:23 PM
Lol. Not over, but we look terrible off the bat. I’ll chalk that up to jitters. Matt Hurt forgot how to shoot.

it's a meme here. i figured i'd get an early start on the sky is falling mantra :D :D :D

Bluedog
11-28-2020, 02:25 PM
Johnson looks great! Hurt and Moore look horrible.
Piped in “Crowd noise” is not good either.

Sounds like basically white noise machine but pretty quiet really.

Johnson has looked good. Need to cut down on TOs and hit some more shots. Kinda expected for first game with this crew. Can't conclude too much from it.

WHOneedsSOX
11-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Why no Tape’? Everyone else has played except him.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Duke has no rhythm right now. Guys seem out of sink with each other. Passes are an adventure. The sloppy play makes sense as the guys haven't developed any chemistry yet. Hard to watch though. I hope coach doesn't have a heart attack.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 02:28 PM
Looking pretty shaky.....

ClemmonsDevil
11-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Why no Tape? Everyone else has played except him.

I think he is going to get some run, but lots of players on this team can get minutes. Very deep, if not overwhelmingly talented. You get the feeling Johnson and Goldwire will get a bunch of minutes as the season goes along and others will vary from game to game...he says after 13 minutes.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 02:31 PM
Why no Tape? Everyone else has played except him.

has brakefield gotten in?

Also chill. we're 15 minutes into the first half. and there are a lot of players that we need to see.

WHOneedsSOX
11-28-2020, 02:35 PM
has brakefield gotten in?

Also chill. we're 15 minutes into the first half. and there are a lot of players that we need to see.

Wasn't panicking. Just curious. Everyone else had gone in, just wondering why he hadn't.

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Will Avery is terrible.

ClemmonsDevil
Will Avery is terrible.

How dare you.

whereinthehellami
The threes are starting to fall. Moore, Hurt, Johnson, and Steward (x2) has hit now. Duke up to 5-11 from deep for the game.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 02:37 PM
Shooting is improving. Defensively we are still getting stretched out by wide spacing and then giving up some pretty good looks, but they are no longer making the shots.

This is an overmatched opponent, so we will win easily, but the defense and defensive rotations are going to have to improve to get by a team like Michigan State.

jipops
11-28-2020, 02:44 PM
After the first five minutes the defense has been solid. Turnovers the biggest issue for the offense. Not seeing much of Moore so far which to me is concerning.

DukieTiger
Hey Matt, wouldn’t Hurt to pass the ball a bit more.

Moore with a long stretch on the bench in the back half of the first half. Guessing it’s a “settle down, you’re ok” kind of benching.

rsvman
So disappointed that Hurt didn't throw the ball to Jalen after the steal!

WHOneedsSOX
11-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Did dukes locker room change? They didn't run all the way to the other side of the court this time.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 02:48 PM
45-28 at half.. Johnson with 15 and 11 at the half!

Lord Ash
11-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Good to see basketball again.

Funny how the coaches keep lowering their masks to yell. Not a great visual. Would expect them to either stop doing that, or stop wearing masks, by the next game.

Bob Green
11-28-2020, 02:53 PM
Jalen Johnson looks great. He is the whole package. Steward can shoot but he has been loose with the ball.

jipops
11-28-2020, 02:53 PM
Baker still a very good practice shooter but not a very good in-game shooter. And still doesn’t appear to do anything else.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Jalen Johnson looks great. He is the whole package. Steward can shoot but he has been loose with the ball.

Totally agree. He is going to be a handful for opposing defenses.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Good to see basketball again.

Funny how the coaches keep lowering their masks to yell. Not a great visual. Would expect them to either stop doing that, or stop wearing masks, by the next game.

skeptical it will change. it seems to be the MO among coaches nationwide from the games i've watched so far.

hallcity
11-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Halftime on ACCNX probably more interesting than on ACCN. Also, the ads are better but I miss the spurtle.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 02:59 PM
Halftime on ACCNX probably more interesting than on ACCN.

there are too many dorms on west campus now. fight me!

but heavenly buffales gettin some screen time there.

-jk
11-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Did dukes locker room change? They didn't run all the way to the other side of the court this time.

I noticed that too. I wonder if it’s an effort to minimize exposure, using the hall in back.

-jk

stickdog
11-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Other than Duke's players besides Jalen Johnson thinking the season started at 2:30 PM instead of 2:00 PM, that was a nice half of basketball.

Coppin State dominated Duke on hustle plays and execution until Duke's big run.

But it was nice to see Duke learning on the fly how to adjust to the intensity of play. Without any crowd to emphasize the intensity of the moment, that has to be difficult for a young team.

And Jalen Johnson had the best first debut half of of any Duke freshman in Coach K's long and storied career. That's pretty incredible.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:02 PM
It sure is good seeing Duke basketball again!

Johnson has been impressive. So smooth and in control. Defense has looked okay also. He has a couple of blocks.

Hurt looked good once he settled down. He always looks so tired to me. Pretty funny when he stole the ball and took it down the court and tried some kind of new age euro step. You could tell a TO was forthcoming when he had all that open court.

Moore hit a three but has looked uncomfortable and has made some questionable decisions with the ball. I'm thinking of the one pass he made early to the stands and demonstrably told Johnson that he should go to the ball. The only problem was that Johnson had broke to the hoop like he should have.

Goldwire has looked solid excepting his three point shot attempts. He took a three on the break, I'm not sure about that unless he is consistently hitting that in practice. The lob to Williams for the dunk was nice.

Steward has hit some threes and has a nice soft touch. He has also shown some flashes of his length, quickness, and vision. But has also looked like a freshman in his first game. kind of like Bambi trying to find his legs.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:03 PM
is halftime shortened?

stickdog
11-28-2020, 03:03 PM
skeptical it will change. it seems to be the MO among coaches nationwide from the games i've watched so far.

Out of respect for all the COVID-19 victims, they are flying at half-mask.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Ruh-roh. Quick TO by Duke. Johnson with a couple of WTF moments.

jipops
11-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Disastrous 2nd half start.

This will stay a close game.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Disastrous 2nd half start

4 TOs in 4 possessions?

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:11 PM
Very sloppy..... lots of turnovers.

budwom
11-28-2020, 03:11 PM

They probably trampled a major donor.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:13 PM
We have more turnovers than Sara Lee.

stickdog
11-28-2020, 03:17 PM
Wow. What a terrible start to both halves. The most disappointing things are the lack of intensity, concentration, and especially crisp decision-making.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Wow. What a terrible start to both halves. The most disappointing things are the lack of intensity, concentration, and especially crisp decision-making.

i'm missing me some tre. love me goldwire, but tre, he ain't.

ClemmonsDevil
11-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Coppin State is playing tough. Love Juan Dixon and no surprise his kids are playing as tough as he did. Duke doesn't have a great creator to initiate offense and get people easy shots. I am a Goldwire aficionado, but he doesn't break down the d and create havoc in the paint. This is a deep team that can become a very good defensive team. Decent size, pretty athletic and decent number of shooters. Lots of interchangeable parts. One stud in Johnson.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:20 PM
we have one for announcers....do we have one for complaining about idiodic director decisions like showing tight shots of coaches instead of the game, which is actually going on? This has happened 2 or 3 times this game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Anyone else lose vide?

ClemmonsDevil
11-28-2020, 03:22 PM

I think it is so hard for kids to generate their own emotion. The lack of a crowd is going to make this sort of a disjointed season. This has an AAU level intensity kind of feel.

jipops
11-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Is it upset watch yet?

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Is it upset watch yet?

at least we made it more than a year since last getting upset by a team ranked KP 300+ at home :(

DukieTiger
11-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Steward and Johnson easily Duke’s two best players today. Gotta be a little disappointed in the upperclassmen as a whole. I’m sure they’ll get it together.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:26 PM
Is it upset watch yet?

No, but if we keep throwing it away and they keep making threes, it will be pretty soon.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Duke giving CS hope. Letting them hang around. We are missing that veteran leadership. I was hoping Moore would become that rock but he has not shown that. Goldwire even looking shaky in the 2nd half. Johnson has faded into the background.

tteettimes
Who is DJ?

uh_no
Steward and Johnson easily Duke’s two best players today. Gotta be a little disappointed in the upperclassmen as a whole. I’m sure they’ll get it together.

hurt's playing alright. still a decent shot at a double double.

stickdog
Baker and Goldwire with 4 combined TOs, 4 combined fouls, and just 2 combined points on a combined 1-7 shooting.

WHOneedsSOX
11-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Baker and Goldwire with 4 combined TOs, 4 combined fouls, and just 2 combined points on a combined 1-7 shooting.

Yeah, Goldwire is a nice backup player. Definitely not a true point guard. Tre spoiled us.

Not saying Goldwire is a bad player or a disappointment, he's obviously not a 5 star like Tre was. Just saying I need to lower my expectations.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2020, 03:29 PM
No sign of Tape’ at all today? And only a cameo by Williams? I know Coppin has no size,
but still...

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:35 PM
Two for our last six from the line is also disappointing.

ClemmonsDevil
Yeah, Goldwire is a nice backup player. Definitely not a true point guard. Tre spoiled us.

Not saying Goldwire is a bad player or a disappointment, he's obviously not a 5 star like Tre was. Just saying I need to lower my expectations.

"Game manager".

uh_no
Two for our last six from the line is also disappointing.

the ball is just trying to socially distance from the rim.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:39 PM
I like what i've seen from Steward. Kid has game.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:40 PM
CSU has the two best players in the second half in Tarke and Clayton. Duke needs somebody to step up. Steward has looked the most promising so far.

cbarry
11-28-2020, 03:41 PM
No sign of Tape at all today? And only a cameo by Williams? I know Coppin has no size,
but still...
The bench is shrinking even earlier than usual... LOL.

Maybe it’s partially the empty arena, but Duke is playing with much less energy than I would’ve expected... very uninspired overall, except for Jaylen and DJ.
I almost fell asleep a few minute ago.

We will need a better showing from everyone in order to keep the Michigan St game close.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:49 PM
I would like to see Johnson exert him self more. I feel like he just kind of lets the game come to him which is usually a good thing but this team might need him to become more dominant.

rsvman
11-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Maybe it’s partially the empty arena, but Duke is playing with much less energy than I would’ve expected... very uninspired overall, except for Jaylen and DJ.

We will need a better showing from everyone in order to keep the Michigan St game close.

Amen. Joey has been particularly disappointing. I hope this is his worst game of the season......

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:50 PM
I would like to see Johnson exert him self more. I feel like he just kind of lets the game come to him which is usually a good thing but this team might need him to become more dominant.

At 7 TO, I think I'm quite happy for him to be more discriminating with his decision making.

WHOneedsSOX
11-28-2020, 03:51 PM
22 turnovers? Yikes.

uh_no
11-28-2020, 03:51 PM
22 turnovers? Yikes.

johnson alone has as many as their entire team.

Sixthman
11-28-2020, 03:52 PM
22 turnovers? Yikes.

Johnson flirting with a triple double - 7 turnovers.

whereinthehellami
11-28-2020, 03:52 PM
At 7 TO, I think I'm quite happy for him to be more discriminating with his decision making.

Haha, nevermind. 22 TOs, should be easy to clean up. right?

House P
11-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Anyone else lose vide?

I think you got your typo wrong. Instead of "vide", I think you meant "vieo". After all, I have no concerns about the "o" today, but the "d" appears to be missing. :D

rocketeli
11-28-2020, 03:54 PM

I found myself thinking "I gave up a nap for this?"
Johnson looking promising...Steward getting the points...rest of team, let's just say rusty and first game because it was pretty uggo.

stickdog
11-28-2020, 03:55 PM
22 turnovers is the most any Duke team has committed in at least the last 10 seasons.