PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Gardner-Webb (POSTPONED)

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2020, 03:41 PM
EDIT: Mods, please change title from (Ed 11/25) to (Wed 11/25)

Friends, family, and fanatics, there will (hopefully, thankfully) be basketball THIS WEEK!

The 2020-21 iteration of Duke men's basketball will begin a very unusual season against the Gardner-Webb Running Bulldogs. G-W will be playing their 19th season and 9th under head coach Tim Craft. The Running Bulldogs, from the Charlotte area, have played in the NCAA Tournament once in their history and lost as a 16 seed in the 2018-19 NCAA Tournament to eventual National Champion Virginia. Coincidently, G-W led that game at halftime 36-30 before Cavaliers put their 1-v-16 seed ghosts behind them. They have played twice at Cameron Indoor Stadium, most recently in December 2013 and hold an 0-2 record against the Duke Blue Devils. Last season, G-W put together a 16-16 record but were 11-7 in the Big South, good for 3rd in the conference. Their season ended in a loss on March 6th in the Big South tournament to Winthrop.

KenPom and T-Rank project Gardner-Webb to be a middle-of-the-pack group in the Big South for this upcoming season. Last season, G-W was a pretty good 3-point shooting team thanks to the combination of 6'0" G Jaheam Cornwall and 6'3" G Nate Johnson. Johnson transferred to Xavier during the offseason while Cornwall is set to return for the Running Bulldogs this year.

In the frontcourt, G-W will return a pair of tall but thin forwards in 6'9" Queens, NY native Kareem Reid and 6'8" Martinque native Ludovic Dufeal. Reed is more of the interior player and rim protector while Dufeal is more likely to take a jumper and has a decent 3-point shot. Neither is very beefy and should present a decent matchup for Duke's projected frontline of Matthew Hurt and Jalen Johnson.

Duke should have a fairly easy go of it on Wednesday to kick off the season. I expect the team to be chomping at the bit to someone, anyone else besides intra-squad scrimmages. Gardner-Webb played a fairly slow tempo, so getting out in transition, getting into the passing lanes, and forcing turnover should be an easy formula for Duke in this match. I'm excited to see the team in action for the first time. Let's go Duke!

uh_no
11-22-2020, 04:07 PM
assuming it still happens....fingers crossed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Wow. Here we go, I guess.

I feel like I'm really disconnected from this year's team and league.

budwom
11-22-2020, 04:51 PM
I had no idea the season was (theoretically) this close. I guess I should get out from under the couch more.

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2020, 04:53 PM
Wow. Here we go, I guess.

I feel like I'm really disconnected from this year's team and league.

It's deja vu all over again.

I distinctly remember many pre-game threads last season that expressed this exact sentiment, but for very different reason.

uh_no
11-22-2020, 04:59 PM
It's deja vu all over again.

I distinctly remember many pre-game threads last season that expressed this exact sentiment, but for very different reason.

I still haven't gotten over that E8 loss.

Kedsy
11-23-2020, 12:59 AM
So I have comcast. That means I can't see this game without paying $30 to $80 a month for, e.g., YouTubeTV or Sling or Hulu, etc., is that correct?

BlueDevil2K
11-23-2020, 01:33 AM
So I have comcast. That means I can't see this game without paying $30 to $80 a month for, e.g., YouTubeTV or Sling or Hulu, etc., is that correct?

There's usually a YouTube TV free trial offer of a week or two...or it appears that there's currently a promotion if you're a Verizon customer for one free month:

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/apps/youtube-tv/

Troublemaker
11-23-2020, 08:39 AM

If you have strong virus protection and ad-blocking, there are sites you can visit to watch on your computer. (PM if interested).

And as BlueDevil2K mentioned, if you are good at remembering to cancel free trials, you could get YouTubeTV, etc.

dukebluesincebirth
11-23-2020, 08:50 AM
I wish I could be more excited for this...I'm super excited to see these guys play, but with the pandemic raging and NC spiking it's highest number of new cases EVER yesterday (around 4,500), I just don't feel like this is going to go well. Both teams are in large cities in NC, and the governor has ordered a limit of 10 people or less in indoor spaces. So how do we have basketball games? I'm fully prepared for this game to be cancelled/postponed at some point before tipoff, but we shall see.

gofurman
11-23-2020, 08:58 AM

Is this only available on YouTubeTV or Sling or Hulu ? Not ESPN3?

lotusland
11-23-2020, 09:02 AM

I have Sling Blue and Orange but I don’t see ACCN on my guide. Am I missing it or there an add on I need to buy?

gofurman
11-23-2020, 09:33 AM
I have Sling Blue and Orange but I don’t see ACCN on my guide. Am I missing it or there an add on I need to buy?

Is it on the ACCN ? I have Charter w ACCN

Music man55
11-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Like several other posters here, I too am having trouble getting real exited about bb starting this week. Maybe after actually watching the game, I might feel different. I hope I do. What I do know is it's going to be very different without fans there. If they don't end up cancelling the season, maybe we'll all get kind of used to it.

Kedsy
11-23-2020, 10:59 AM

As I understand it, it's not available on ESPN3 unless (a) you have a cable company that carries ACCN (i.e., NOT Comcast); or (b) you have one of Hulu, YouTubeTV, FuboTV, AT&T TV, Vidgo, or Sling (with a special package, not part of main bundle). And if you're already paying for cable, the "b" options are prohibitively expensive.

And personally, I'm terrible about canceling free trials. Plus, almost all the non-conference games are ACCN this year, meaning a one-week trial won't really solve my problem. I can't tell from the GoDuke schedule, but I bet a bunch of the league games will also be ACCN. So basically, the feud between ACCN and Comcast will keep me from following Duke basketball at the level to which I've become accustomed. Vintage 2020.

Troublemaker
11-23-2020, 11:13 AM
As I understand it, it's not available on ESPN3 unless (a) you have a cable company that carries ACCN (i.e., NOT Comcast); or (b) you have one of Hulu, YouTubeTV, FuboTV, AT&T TV, Vidgo, or Sling (with a special package, not part of main bundle). And if you're already paying for cable, the "b" options are prohibitively expensive.

And personally, I'm terrible about canceling free trials. Plus, almost all the non-conference games are ACCN this year, meaning a one-week trial won't really solve my problem. I can't tell from the GoDuke schedule, but I bet a bunch of the league games will also be ACCN. So basically, the feud between ACCN and Comcast will keep me from following Duke basketball at the level to which I've become accustomed. Vintage 2020.

So pessimistic. Even after everything discussed above, your options are still not exhausted.

Someone might just share their password with you, for example.

I'd probably be down to do a swap with you. I think I have your email from when we did Phase posts together.

peloton
11-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Is it on the ACCN ? I have Charter w ACCN

Per the thread title and the fact that I just went to the ACCN's website and verified, yes - this game is being televised on it...enjoy!

Troublemaker
11-23-2020, 11:20 AM

It looks like you'll have to pay an extra $10/mo for the "Sports Extra Package": https://www.sling.com/programming/sports/college-football/atlantic-coast-conference

dcar1985
11-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Welp

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1330919047093919744?s=21

hallcity
11-23-2020, 12:06 PM
Welp

https://twitter.com/dukembb/status/1330919047093919744?s=21

Damn. I was really looking forward to watching Duke basketball this Wednesday. I wish Duke had some other team they could substitute at the last minute. Hey, NCCU, got a game that night?

mo.st.dukie
11-23-2020, 12:14 PM
That's a bummer but I guess we better just expect most games to be cancelled/rescheduled this year. Now just got to wait until Saturday.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Our season opener is now scheduled for this Saturday vs. Coppin State in Cameron (2 PM ET, ACC Network Extra).

OK, how do we access ACC Network Extra? Is that computer only? Do smart TV's (or Amazon Firesticks) have access to "Extra" by downloading the app and signing in somehow?http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DrChainsaw
11-23-2020, 12:23 PM
OK, how do we access ACC Network Extra? Is that computer only? Do smart TV's (or Amazon Firesticks) have access to "Extra" by downloading the app and signing in somehow?http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Apparently, it comes as part of the Hulu Live TV package (per the internet, which never lies).

If you hear screaming coming from the direction of Rhode Island on Saturday, it would suggest the contrary...

LasVegas
11-23-2020, 12:29 PM

Streaming only channel. Will be on the ESPN app as long as it’s included in your tv package.

Phredd3
11-23-2020, 12:46 PM
So far, the women's game against Longwood is still happening at noon on Wednesday, so if you were set on a Wednesday season opening, you can still have it.

Lord Ash
11-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Damn. Postponed.

I was worried that the test might be a DUKE covid case. But it wasn't. I would have been mildly surprised if it WAS, to be honest... we've been SO good, it seems.

uh_no
11-23-2020, 12:50 PM
So far, the women's game against Longwood is still happening at noon on Wednesday, so if you were set on a Wednesday season opening, you can still have it.

i'm "game"

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.

UrinalCake
11-23-2020, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that Bellarmine has already cancelled its first three games and is now scheduled to open their season against us on 12/4. If I were Duke, that game would scare the heck out of me from a virus transmission standpoint. The ACC should have gone conference only. Duke as a university has done an amazing job controlling the virus, they are a model across the country for the protocols they have implemented. For the basketball team, they must feel like they're taking an enormous risk by playing an opponent from a smaller school who doesn't take the same precautions. (And to be fair, I wholly understand that Gardner Webb or Bellarmine simply doesn't have the same resources available to them as Duke.)

DavidBenAkiva
11-23-2020, 01:01 PM
So Tennessee is reporting that they have positive cases in their program, including head coach Rick Barnes. Tennessee was scheduled to host VCU and another team for a multi-team event this week. That leaves VCU without games and it's a short drive to Durham from Richmond. What this season really needs it a last-minute rescheduling czar to help make these matches work out. Bring VCU down to Durham for a game if everyone tests negative today.

UrinalCake
11-23-2020, 01:07 PM
So Tennessee is reporting that they have positive cases in their program, including head coach Rick Barnes. Tennessee was scheduled to host VCU and another team for a multi-team event this week. That leaves VCU without games and it's a short drive to Durham from Richmond. What this season really needs it a last-minute rescheduling czar to help make these matches work out. Bring VCU down to Durham for a game if everyone tests negative today.

I actually like that idea. It would be like playing pick up at the gym, just get five guys together and call next. Logically there are obviously road blocks but it would be nice if we could find a replacement.

JasonEvans
11-23-2020, 01:16 PM
I actually like that idea. It would be like playing pick up at the gym, just get five guys together and call next. Logically there are obviously road blocks but it would be nice if we could find a replacement.

Ole Miss was due to play Central Ark and Jackson St this week but Ole Miss just put their program on paus due to Covid. There are plenty of potential opponents who are seeing games cancelled because the opponent has Covid. Baylor and Az. St just cancelled what would have been a huge game because Baylor coach Scott Drew tested positive.

That said, I suspect Coach K does not want to play anyone on such short noting with no time to prepare or game plan. He will wait until Saturday for our season opener.

peloton
11-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see a real season happening. I have trouble getting excited about every third game maybe getting played. Why not put it off until April so at least Coach K can be vaccinated. If I can live without hugging my grandchildren over Thanksgiving, I can well wait a few months for college basketball. Maybe others can convince me that trying to return to normalcy makes sense in the heart of the worst of the whole damn pandemic.

Not to make light of this virus (because it's deadly serious), but I often refer to it as the "damndemic".

It's going to be an interesting season to say the least...especially when you consider that we haven't seen the worst of this pandemic yet (if you put much credence in what the epidemiologists are saying - and I do).

Music man55
11-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Well, I guess that takes care of that! We'll see if a game can happen on Sat.

rsvman
11-23-2020, 01:45 PM
For everybody in this thread complaining about having Comcast and the games being on the ACCN, what you should do is cancel your stupid Comcast and get going with streaming. The sooner you do it, the better, IMO. Cable is just not worth it anymore. Cut the cable, get on to streaming, and enjoy however many games the virus will allow the team to play this year.

Just do it. Sooner is better. Even if you have a “dumb TV,” you can just buy a Roku plug-in and you are good-to-go.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-23-2020, 01:46 PM
especially when you consider that we haven't seen the worst of this pandemic yet (if you put much credence in what the epidemiologists are saying - and I do).
Yeah, with airports packed with damndemic (I like that term, thanks for offering it, peloton!) travelers who are saying "screw it!" and throwing caution and common sense to the wind, so to speak, the post Thanksgiving outbreaks are going to be massive.

We are staying home this week, which wasn't our plan last week. But my momma didn't raise no dummy. She raised a Duke graduate.:cool:http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

JasonEvans
11-23-2020, 01:48 PM
If... and I doubt it... if Duke wants to find a replacement team, East Carolina's game against Indiana State has been postponed after an outbreak on the ISU team. The game was going to be played as part of a multi-team event in Florida, but ECU now says they ain't going to Florida right now.

Would they instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.

-Jason "ECU is not a great team, #123 on KenPom, but is significantly better than Gardner-Webb, #248 on KenPom" Evans

Billy Dat
11-23-2020, 01:55 PM
I am so sad about this postponement that I had to post this picture to remind me that there is still a lot of beauty in the world

Natty_B
11-23-2020, 01:58 PM
If... and I doubt it... if Duke wants to find a replacement team, East Carolina's game against Indiana State has been postponed after an outbreak on the ISU team. The game was going to be played as part of a multi-team event in Florida, but ECU now says they ain't going to Florida right now.

Would they instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.

-Jason "ECU is not a great team, #123 on KenPom, but is significantly better than Gardner-Webb, #248 on KenPom" Evans

Scheduling games on the fly doesn’t seem like a very Duke thing to me. K likes his routine. Also seems like a poor idea from a COVID perspective. You want to know the other team’s protocol well in advance of a game.

UrinalCake
11-23-2020, 02:03 PM
Would they [ECU] instead be interested in taking a 1 hour bus ride to Durham? I dunno, but this would seem to be a very logical replacement if Duke wanted to consider one.

A couple months ago we all speculated that Duke might try to fill their non-conference schedule with local teams like Elon, Davidson, NCCU, App State, UNC-G, etc. It makes perfectly logical sense to me for everybody to be playing a more local schedule.

I guess the question right now would be whether ECU or any other opponent could a.) arrange the travel on short notice, and b.) prove to Duke that they are adhering to safety protocols that meet Duke's requirements, which would presumably include a certain number of negative tests over a time period leading up to the game.

mo.st.dukie
11-23-2020, 02:16 PM

I don't understand why they aren't doing mini-bubbles. In other words, have Gardner Webb and Coppin State come to campus one or two weeks ago to get fully on Duke's Covid protocols. They can practice at Duke's facilities and use whatever education facilities they needed to do their remote learning, and they could play an additional game against each other. Michigan State is playing Notre Dame on Saturday. Seems like it would have been logical to do a bubble of Duke, Michigan State, and Notre Dame in Durham so that we could get the Champions Classic in and knock out our scheduled ACC home game with Notre Dame.

I understand it's probably way more complicated than that but if they were going to do a shortened season anyways might as well just figure out how to do mini-bubbles that rotate every 2-4 weeks. I realize that's the idea behind these multi-team events like the Mako Duke Classic, etc, so clearly it can be done, it just needed to be done more. But that would require teams to go way outside their normal scheduling practices, maybe even require teams to not play so many garbage games against mid and low majors, and all working together and compromising.

Tooold
11-23-2020, 02:19 PM
For everybody in this thread complaining about having Comcast and the games being on the ACCN, what you should do is cancel your stupid Comcast and get going with streaming. The sooner you do it, the better, IMO. Cable is just not worth it anymore. Cut the cable, get on to streaming, and enjoy however many games the virus will allow the team to play this year.

Just do it. Sooner is better. Even if you have a “dumb TV,” you can just buy a Roku plug-in and you are good-to-go.

I agree! I canceled Comcast a year ago because I was so very tired of their price games. YouTubeTV has worked very well and saved me $$$. Then YouTubeTV raised its price, so it’s not much real savings anymore, but there’s a principle here.

CDu
11-23-2020, 02:22 PM
I don't understand why they aren't doing mini-bubbles. In other words, have Gardner Webb and Coppin State come to campus one or two weeks ago to get fully on Duke's Covid protocols. They can practice at Duke's facilities and use whatever education facilities they needed to do their remote learning, and they could play an additional game against each other. Michigan State is playing Notre Dame on Saturday. Seems like it would have been logical to do a bubble of Duke, Michigan State, and Notre Dame in Durham so that we could get the Champions Classic in and knock out our scheduled ACC home game with Notre Dame.

I understand it's probably way more complicated than that but if they were going to do a shortened season anyways might as well just figure out how to do mini-bubbles that rotate every 2-4 weeks. I realize that's the idea behind these multi-team events like the Mako Duke Classic, etc, so clearly it can be done, it just needed to be done more. But that would require teams to go way outside their normal scheduling practices, maybe even require teams to not play so many garbage games against mid and low majors, and all working together and compromising.

That would have only been functional (and I'm using that term loosely) for the opening weekend. After that, teams' schedules deviate too much to make a bubble work. Especially not with a 1-2 week lead-in time for bubbling.

Unless you drastically cut down on the number of games (both in and out of conference), it's just not feasible.

duke79
11-23-2020, 02:31 PM

Yea, I hate to be pessimistic but I agree with you here. Assuming the virus continues to spread widely and aggressively throughout almost the entire country for the next four to eight weeks (or longer), we'll see (at best) a very disjointed college basketball season. I think it is almost inevitable that there will be positive Covid tests on almost every college team (and let's hope Duke can avoid that!) and that with most college and team protocols in place, games will have to be cancelled or postponed right and left. I really don't see any way that a "normal" season occurs. It would not surprise me in the least to see many schools just cancel the entire season (like the Ivy League) and maybe this is the wisest course of action (from the standpoint of the health of the players, coaches, staff, etc.).

duke79
11-23-2020, 02:38 PM
I agree! I canceled Comcast a year ago because I was so very tired of their price games. YouTubeTV has worked very well and saved me $$$. Then YouTubeTV raised its price, so it’s not much real savings anymore, but there’s a principle here.

I did the same thing....cancelled my DISH Network satellite contract last year when we finally got high speed fiber optic installed in our small town and switched over to streaming YouTube TV, when it was $40 per month (compared to about $125 per month for DISH); then YouTube raised the price to $49/month and now up to $65/month and I expect it will go higher). But even with YouTube TV, there are a lot of channels I never watch and don't want to pay for (like cable TV). When are we going to have a true "menu of choices" of channels from which we can pick and choose which stations we want and then pay for that skinny bundle?

CDu
11-23-2020, 02:38 PM
Yea, I hate to be pessimistic but I agree with you here. Assuming the virus continues to spread widely and aggressively throughout almost the entire country for the next four to eight weeks (or longer), we'll see (at best) a very disjointed college basketball season. I think it is almost inevitable that there will be positive Covid tests on almost every college team (and let's hope Duke can avoid that!) and that with most college and team protocols in place, games will have to be cancelled or postponed right and left. I really don't see any way that a "normal" season occurs. It would not surprise me in the least to see many schools just cancel the entire season (like the Ivy League) and maybe this is the wisest course of action (from the standpoint of the health of the players, coaches, staff, etc.).

The most sensible approach would have been to make it full-on "Spring" sport: delaying the start until March, playing conference-only, and then having the tournament in May.

As is, I too have trouble seeing any realistic way we get through the season. Games are very likely to get postponed/cancelled left and right, especially in January as folks come back from break.

uh_no
11-23-2020, 02:39 PM

heavy +1. Every game is streamed....in one way or another.

duke79
11-23-2020, 03:32 PM
The most sensible approach would have been to make it full-on "Spring" sport: delaying the start until March, playing conference-only, and then having the tournament in May.

As is, I too have trouble seeing any realistic way we get through the season. Games are very likely to get postponed/cancelled left and right, especially in January as folks come back from break.

I think this is a better plan and theoretically more realistic to accomplish (but highly unlikely to happen). Plus, it would seem strange to be playing basketball in the Spring semester.

fuse
11-23-2020, 03:34 PM

This is good advice up to the point where now Hulu live just jacked prices to be same cost as cable.

LasVegas
11-23-2020, 03:39 PM
This is good advice up to the point where now Hulu live just jacked prices to be same cost as cable.

Even if YouTube tv ends up being the same price as my old cable tv with Cox, it’s still a much better service and I can switch or cancel at anytime.

On a side note, I’ve tried all of the streaming services and my favorite BY FAR is YouTube TV.

Natty_B
11-23-2020, 03:54 PM
Even if YouTube tv ends up being the same price as my old cable tv with Cox, it’s still a much better service and I can switch or cancel at anytime.

On a side note, I’ve tried all of the streaming services and my favorite BY FAR is YouTube TV.

I’ve actually found that since I need Comcast for Internet they will now tack on cable for real cheap. Way cheaper than YouTube Tv + high speed Internet.

English
11-23-2020, 04:02 PM
I wish I could be more excited for this...I'm super excited to see these guys play, but with the pandemic raging and NC spiking it's highest number of new cases EVER yesterday (around 4,500), I just don't feel like this is going to go well. Both teams are in large cities in NC, and the governor has ordered a limit of 10 people or less in indoor spaces. So how do we have basketball games? I'm fully prepared for this game to be cancelled/postponed at some point before tipoff, but we shall see.

Of course it's a moot point now, given the overall premise of this post and its obvious assumption coming to pass, but I just want to point out that Gardner Webb University is located in Boiling Springs, NC with a population under 5,000ppl. It is objectively NOT in a large city, even by NC's modest standard. Oddly, I was born there in the flagship hospital, which had about eight beds in the L&D "wing" of the facility.

DukieTiger
11-23-2020, 04:09 PM

Seems like, wise or not, leagues are bending over backward to ensure that the start of the 2021 season is not impacted by this season. To that end, I wonder if they decided to live with however many games they could get in, create a bubble environment for the tourney to acquire the revenue, and then hope things get back to normal for 2021.

Delaying to spring - hey, no guarantee this thing won't be spreading then as well. March and April were um, not great this year, after all. Why not give yourself more time to accomplish the exact same thing? Can always add a delay later on down the road, yeah? (Just thinking from their perspective, not necessarily arguing in favor of anything).

uh_no
11-23-2020, 04:13 PM
Seems like, wise or not, leagues are bending over backward to ensure that the start of the 2021 season is not impacted by this season. To that end, I wonder if they decided to live with however many games they could get in, create a bubble environment for the tourney to acquire the revenue, and then hope things get back to normal for 2021.

Delaying to spring - hey, no guarantee this thing won't be spreading then as well. March and April were um, not great this year, after all. Why not give yourself more time to accomplish the exact same thing? Can always add a delay later on down the road, yeah? (Just thinking from their perspective, not necessarily arguing in favor of anything).

i imagine that despite "officially" only necessary workers will start getting vaccines in the middle of december....we'll find out that SOMEHOW the basketball team ended up high up on the list. Of course, that will never be official policy....sort of like how despite a scarcity of tests earlier in the year, somehow they were able to test athletes multiple times a week. Maybe not at duke, but I guarantee it will happen somewhere.

DukieTiger
11-23-2020, 04:18 PM
i imagine that despite "officially" only necessary workers will start getting vaccines in the middle of december...we'll find out that SOMEHOW the basketball team ended up high up on the list. Of course, that will never be official policy...sort of like how despite a scarcity of tests earlier in the year, somehow they were able to test athletes multiple times a week. Maybe not at duke, but I guarantee it will happen somewhere.

Sure, but it's gotta happen everywhere in order to make a spring season more likely than a November - April season that still retains flexibility to get delay the tourney.

But yes, it's been interesting how much better the testing and tracing is for these athletes and how quickly they get their results back compared to the rest of us.

uh_no
11-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Sure, but it's gotta happen everywhere in order to make a spring season more likely than a November - April season that still retains flexibility to get delay the tourney.

But yes, it's been interesting how much better the testing and tracing is for these athletes and how quickly they get their results back compared to the rest of us.

to be fair, anyone at duke can get tests now...and duke HAS largely been on the forefront of test availability (mostly because they want the data for research)...and I think they know with how strict our protocols are, it seems the other teams have been far bigger risks....which has played out in both football and bball.

DukieTiger
11-23-2020, 04:29 PM
to be fair, anyone at duke can get tests now...and duke HAS largely been on the forefront of test availability (mostly because they want the data for research)...and I think they know with how strict our protocols are, it seems the other teams have been far bigger risks...which has played out in both football and bball.

Oh yeah, Duke's been a model for how to handle it. The NCAA's really up against it because, while some programs like Duke are keeping things really tight, there's a ton of variance across hundreds of D1 programs (for hoops). A decentralized body will find it hard to manage something like this across all its member teams. Hoping the ACC protocols will give a smaller, more common ground that could increase the likelihood for a successful season. We'll see.

jimsumner
11-23-2020, 04:37 PM
I posted this on another thread but it also seems relevant here.

https://seminoles.com/florida-state-florida-am-season-opener-canceled/

duke79
11-23-2020, 04:47 PM
I posted this on another thread but it also seems relevant here.

https://seminoles.com/florida-state-florida-am-season-opener-canceled/

Thanks for posting and, I'm afraid, a sign of what is to come in almost all NCAA winter sports. Ugh.

Kedsy
11-23-2020, 04:58 PM

Perhaps that's feasible for people who are the only TV watchers in their home. Others of us may live with people who aren't willing to change their entire tv routine because their spouse wants to watch a Duke game.

budwom
11-23-2020, 05:01 PM
Perhaps that's feasible for people who are the only TV watchers in their home. Others of us may live with people who aren't willing to change their entire tv routine because their spouse wants to watch a Duke game.

Yeah, it does get complicated. Folks I know who have cut the cord in favor of various streaming services have found their total expenditure creeping up into cable range as the streaming services raise prices.

And as you imply, there is no replacement for domestic tranquility.

peloton
11-23-2020, 05:15 PM

There are others out there? I'm not alone!! 😂

uh_no
11-23-2020, 05:24 PM
I'm not alone!!

The rest of us are. that's why it's not an issue to upend the TV routine to watch duke games :D :D

indy1duke
11-23-2020, 05:52 PM
The Saturday game against Coppin State is supposed to be on ACCNX. I looked at the upcoming schedule found on the ESPN app and did not see the game listed. I am not sure how to watch the game. I do receive the ACCN on Spectrum. Any ideas?

wsb3
11-23-2020, 06:02 PM

I agree.

hallcity
11-23-2020, 06:17 PM
The Saturday game against Coppin State is supposed to be on ACCNX. I looked at the upcoming schedule found on the ESPN app and did not see the game listed. I am not sure how to watch the game. I do receive the ACCN on Spectrum. Any ideas?

If you have Spectrum, you can get access to ACCNX. You need to download the ESPN app. You’ll have to enter your Spectrum account info. You’ll then be able to get the streaming video for any ACCNX broadcasts. You can cast it to your big TV assuming you have the proper device attached to your TV. I’m using an old Chromecast but I expect Roku and all the others work.

lotusland
11-23-2020, 07:37 PM
Yeah, it does get complicated. Folks I know who have cut the cord in favor of various streaming services have found their total expenditure creeping up into cable range as the streaming services raise prices.

And as you imply, there is no replacement for domestic tranquility.

Mrs. Lotus watches only CBS morning news, Netflix, HULU and Prime. I get Sling for college football and basketball season. After the tourney I drop Sling and add HBO Now to get caught up on the the HBO shows until basketball starts up again. You can’t do that with cable. Also I have a 2nd home so I can use the same streaming services at both.

Pghdukie
11-24-2020, 03:12 AM
Start a new subscription with Comcast, Dish, Direct TV, etc by using a new address. Ie move your residence from 101 Main St to 101 main St apartment 2. Get a new subscription at a much lower rate when these companies have promotions available. Saves $$$ with no interruption of service.

Spanarkel
11-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Boiling Springs is home to about 5,000 citizens.

uh_no
11-24-2020, 11:07 AM
Boiling Springs is home to about 5,000 citizens.

yes, and they're all 8' tall. it's a *large* city :D :D

English
11-24-2020, 12:07 PM
This thread for a postponed game seems like an awesome place to share anecdotes about streaming services and television viewing among households, etc. I'm all for that.

Perhaps in the future, for Duke basketball games, we could excise that discussion to its own thread (e.g., one thread for Duke vs Gardner Webb, a separate thread for grumbling about Comcast and ACCN and how to stream the game on your Roku and why you won't be watching the game because ACCN costs $5/mo and how your sports viewership has changed since the ACC expanded to 15 teams and the game isn't listed on the ESPN app six days in advance, etc.)? This discussion about watching the game and how the ACCN is inconvenient for cable subscribers happens every single time there's a game that isn't televised on an ESPN or basic cable channel. It's really enough, but for everyone who wants to commiserate, it seems reasonable to confine that skipping record to its own thread.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-25-2020, 10:45 AM
This thread for a postponed game seems like an awesome place to share anecdotes about streaming services and television viewing among households, etc. I'm all for that.

Perhaps in the future, for Duke basketball games, we could excise that discussion to its own thread (e.g., one thread for Duke vs Gardner Webb, a separate thread for grumbling about Comcast and ACCN and how to stream the game on your Roku and why you won't be watching the game because ACCN costs $5/mo and how your sports viewership has changed since the ACC expanded to 15 teams and the game isn't listed on the ESPN app six days in advance, etc.)? This discussion about watching the game and how the ACCN is inconvenient for cable subscribers happens every single time there's a game that isn't televised on an ESPN or basic cable channel. It's really enough, but for everyone who wants to commiserate, it seems reasonable to confine that skipping record to its own thread.
I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

duke79
11-25-2020, 11:00 AM

AMEN and totally agree!

UrinalCake
11-25-2020, 11:22 AM
We typically have a separate thread to discuss streaming issues, but questions still arise in pregame threads and especially at the start of the season when people are revisiting their options.

I saw that Gardner Webb canceled their next game too, which was scheduled against Florida State this weekend. It stinks but it’s part of life nowadays.

rsvman
11-25-2020, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one that has a vague sense of ennui today, largely based upon the fact that I have been looking forward to seeing some Duke basketball since March, and had this game written in big letters with an exclamation mark after it on my calendar?

Covid sucks.

That is all.

MartyClark
11-25-2020, 05:43 PM
Am I the only one that has a vague sense of ennui today, largely based upon the fact that I have been looking forward to seeing some Duke basketball since March, and had this game written in big letters with an exclamation mark after it on my calendar?

Covid sucks.

That is all.

Nope, I'm with you on this.

Ultrarunner
11-26-2020, 01:21 PM

Well, the grumbling is a natural progression on the board, downstream of the puns.

devildeac
11-26-2020, 03:54 PM
Well, the grumbling is a natural progression on the board, downstream of the puns.

https://www.pisgahbrewing.com/

Their slogan?

"We all drink downstreamTM"

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Their slogan?

That's a local on my chart.

Tasty brews. Don't sleep on the Greybeard IPA.

devildeac
11-26-2020, 06:55 PM
That's a local on my chart.

Tasty brews. Don't sleep on the Greybeard IPA.

I've been very pleased with the half dozen or so Pisgah brews I've been fortunate enough to sample, including Greybeard but I'd guess that's been about 5 years, at least.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2020, 07:54 PM

Their slogan?

Pisgah Pale is a reliable on tap go to in this area. Up there with the Jade IPA.

Best IPA in the area in Wedge Iron Rail. To my knowledge, not bottled canned

devildeac
11-26-2020, 08:36 PM
Pisgah Pale is a reliable on tap go to in this area. Up there with the Jade IPA.

Best IPA in the area in Wedge Iron Rail. To my knowledge, not bottled canned

Lofty comparison. Doubt I've ever had the Pisgah Pale. Heard of Wedge but pretty no tastings there.

Ultrarunner
11-26-2020, 10:24 PM

Their slogan?

With any luck, I'm making a trip back that way next summer for a niece's wedding and her future husband is at Davidson. I'll be driving so I can swing by and sample. Hopefully. Maybe. The wedding will happen, but the current unpleasantness has the potential to upset the schedule.
I keep thinking 2021 has to be better than 2020. I also keep knocking on wood.