PDA

View Full Version : The Office is M*A*S*H reincarnate?

knights68
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm working on this theory that "The Office" is "M*A*S*H" all over again. Kinda, sorta, maybe.

First of all, Dwight and Angela are updates of Frank Burns and Hot Lips. They are the goody-goody couple who have a not-so-secret but oh-so-freaky passionate life (oh, they'll get back together, just you wait). In that other theory I've been working on -- that "The Office" is a metaphor for American politics -- Dwight and Angela fill the hypocritical conservative category that Frank and Hot Lips practically invented on series TV.

Jim is Hawkeye Pierce, of course, but for a less Groucho-oriented generation. Jim's asides are generally non-verbal, but that slight rising of the eyebrows evokes Marx's cigar and the full-on eyebrows as much as Alan Alda did. Jim's partner in crime is Pam, which makes her his Trapper John McIntyre or his B.J. Hunnicut, and, well, I'm going to go for Trapper John. Jim and Pam's pranks on Dwight are genius.

And then there is Michael Scott, who is unique. Still, he has some of the farcical leadership qualities of Henry Blake, as well as the same need to be friendly with his charges. Michael is easily manipulated by Jim and Pam, just as Henry was totally played by Hawkeye and Trapper. And now that Michael is bucking Ryan, he recalls Henry's resistance to military protocol.

Yeah, "M*A*S*H" was set during a war."The Office" is set during a war, too -- the war to save paper from the digital aggressors. OK, I'll stop now.

Posted by Matthew Gilbert at 03:55 AM

Your thoughts?

DevilAlumna
11-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Does that make Andy Klinger? Always trying to call attention to himself?

Tobey might fit into the Father Mulcahey role as the HR (rules) guiding hand, but you could make a case for Oscar as well. (Oscar revealed his gentle side by helping Michael with his finances.)

Radar is missing; maybe an opportunity for a new character, mid-season. : )

JasonEvans
11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Does that make Andy Klinger? Always trying to call attention to himself?

Tobey might fit into the Father Mulcahey role as the HR (rules) guiding hand, but you could make a case for Oscar as well. (Oscar revealed his gentle side by helping Michael with his finances.)

Radar is missing; maybe an opportunity for a new character, mid-season. : )

I think Ryan was sorta Radar before he left and got promoted.

While I get a chuckle out of thinking about this, the problem with this comparison is that The Office really revolves around a bungling boss in Michael while MASH revolved around Hawkeye. It MASH had centered on a more insane central character then the comparison would be more valid.

I also think that MASH often dealt with far more serious topics than The Office comes close to touching.

--Jason "you know, I think we need a favorite Office character poll-- personally I think every second Stanley is on TV is hysterical!!" Evans

hc5duke
11-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I also think that MASH often dealt with far more serious topics than The Office comes close to touching.

--Jason "you know, I think we need a favorite Office character poll-- personally I think every second Stanley is on TV is hysterical!!" Evans

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/img/product/resized/00042380-833472_400.jpg

Not serious? Clearly you need one of these (http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/detail.php?p=42380&v=nbunbcnowoff&SESSID=3254719f8189edf6409120cac418b093) Jason.

oso diablo
11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm working on this theory that "The Office" is "M*A*S*H" all over again. Kinda, sorta, maybe.
i saw a short clip from the Office Convention in Scranton, and someone asked about this exact question.

YmoBeThere
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/img/product/resized/00042380-833472_400.jpg

Not serious? Clearly you need one of these (http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/detail.php?p=42380&v=nbunbcnowoff&SESSID=3254719f8189edf6409120cac418b093) Jason.

Hmmm, I can get one with my employee discount!