PDA

View Full Version : A true Class Act

Bluedawg
11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Emily went from being a starter her freshmen year, to backing up Lindsey Harding and now she is returning to the role of a starter, and she has handled all of this with true class and grace.

For Emily Waner (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/768589.html), the idea of any Duke women's basketball guard trying to replace or replicate All-America Lindsey Harding is absurd.

"No one will ever maximize their potential trying to be someone else," she said. "I cannot be Lindsey. I will not be Lindsey.

"I will be who I am. And in being who I am -- that will bring out the best in myself and what I do for the team."
Plus, she said Waner is competitive. McCallie sees the fifth-year senior controlling game tempo with her fundamental ballhandling skills and making one-on-one defensive stops.

"Her primary opportunity on this team is to create," McCallie said. "To create for other people on the floor. And to run things. To be a person of leadership, a person who dictates and is vocal."

I became a Waner fan the first time I had the pleasure to meet Emily and quickly became a Waner Sister fan when I had the same opportunity with Abby.

Hopefully this year Emily can take her place among the greats of Duke Basketball

4Luck
11-11-2007, 04:53 PM
I hope Em can show what she can do this year as well. It seems everytime she had gotten some confidence and started to play to her skills, something would happen to shake it. I think it's pretty fitting her first regular season start at Duke comes while in Colorado and sharing the court with Abby.

dukemomLA
11-12-2007, 05:06 AM
I totally agree with previous posts. Em will show her true colors this year. Can't wait for more WBB. This is also (along with the men) an exciting team to watch. GO DEVILS!! Thank God the season is upon us!

Bob Green
11-12-2007, 05:57 AM
I expect Jasmine Thomas to work her way into the starting line-up in expeditious fashion. She played 17 minutes scoring 7 points, 3 steals, 1 assist and 0 turnovers. Emily Waner started but only played 9 minutes scoring 3 points, 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 0 steals. I'm not knocking Emily, but Jasmine Thomas will take her starting spot away by playing pressure defense.

Bluedawg
11-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I expect Jasmine Thomas to work her way into the starting line-up in expeditious fashion. She played 17 minutes scoring 7 points, 3 steals, 1 assist and 0 turnovers. Emily Waner started but only played 9 minutes scoring 3 points, 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 0 steals. I'm not knocking Emily, but Jasmine Thomas will take her starting spot away by playing pressure defense.

I had thought about that until I read:

McCallie said Thomas, a pure point guard like Emily Waner, has not dominated enough to jump into the starting lineup.

Plus, she said Waner is competitive. McCallie sees the fifth-year senior controlling game tempo with her fundamental ballhandling skills and making one-on-one defensive stops.

My feeling is that Coach G shook her confidence by refusing to play her.

Her chemistry with her sister, Duke's top returning scorer, is another positive. She showed why in the final exhibition game on Thursday.

Stuck in the corner behind the 3-point line, the shot clock nearly expired, Abby passed to Emily and moved around the arc five steps.

Instinctively, Emily Waner delivered a quick, soft pass back to her sister in shooting rhythm. Abby nailed the 3-pointer, giving the elder sister a jolt of confidence.

"That's all Emily needs," Abby Waner said. "I've seen her play to abilities that no one else has seen her play before.

"So I understand that the only thing Emily needs is confidence in herself and to know she has the backing of the team."

Jasmine should and definitely will have a major role to play, but i think over the long haul Emily's fundamentals and instinct will be a factor. After all, after football we know how important fundamentals and execution is!

4Luck
11-12-2007, 02:14 PM

I definitely agree about Jas becoming a starter quickly with a little more experience, however, I still believe Emily can play some great minutes for the team if she finds that confidence and killer instinct she shows in glimpses. She plays well off of and with Abby, like in yesterday's games, Abby and Emily had some great plays together. I just wish she could put together a full game displaying her talent whether she's coming off the bench or starting.