PDA

View Full Version : 2020-21 Basketball Schedule

hallcity
09-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Duke was supposed to play in the Battle for Atlantis Basketball Tournament in the Bahamas in November. There was talk about moving the tournament to South Dakota of all places. Now, they've decided to cancel the tournament for this year. (https://twitter.com/jasperward94/status/1306675455785873419/photo/1)

arnie
09-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Duke was supposed to play in the Battle for Atlantis Basketball Tournament in the Bahamas in November. There was talk about moving the tournament to South Dakota of all places. Now, they've decided to cancel the tournament for this year. (https://twitter.com/jasperward94/status/1306675455785873419/photo/1)

I “heard” that college regular seasons will be limited to 27 games. This may have contributed to the cancellation; but suspect participants weren’t that interested in SD format.

Natty_B
09-18-2020, 12:02 PM
I “heard” that college regular seasons will be limited to 27 games. This may have contributed to the cancellation; but suspect participants weren’t that interested in SD format.

More info: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1306984764801458177

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-18-2020, 12:29 PM
The Maui Tournament will be played in my backyard this year. Which would be exciting, except there's no fans.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29914023/sources-2020-maui-invitational-moving-asheville-north-carolina-coronavirus-pandemic

JasonEvans
09-18-2020, 12:34 PM
More info: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1306984764801458177

Oh snap!! This could be HUGE!!!

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
9m
Sources tell @CBSSports that Duke, which is not expected to play in the South Dakota/Battle 4 Atlantis event, is in the process of trying to build a multi-team event this season to be held at Duke and would center around a theme and backdrop of social-justice activism.
This event is still in the planning stages and subject to change, but if Duke was able to pull it off, it would obviously become one of the biggest nonconference events of the college basketball season.

flyingdutchdevil
09-18-2020, 12:55 PM

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
9m
Sources tell @CBSSports that Duke, which is not expected to play in the South Dakota/Battle 4 Atlantis event, is in the process of trying to build a multi-team event this season to be held at Duke and would center around a theme and backdrop of social-justice activism.
This event is still in the planning stages and subject to change, but if Duke was able to pull it off, it would obviously become one of the biggest nonconference events of the college basketball season.

Don't think I've ever been prouder of Duke Athletics and Coach K. This is incredible.

Really hope it happens.

Billy Dat
09-18-2020, 01:05 PM

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
9m

Yeah, this sounds cool. I am guessing the school wants to control COVID-19 exposure as much as possible and there would be a lot more control over an event that they plan and execute. I am guessing that South Dakota's relatively laissez faire attitude about COVID and mass social gatherings has got Duke more than a bit concerned.

You'd hope the field would include some marquee names considering that we are bowing out of a cool event.

Since this is a thread about the upcoming schedule, we should add to it that the Champions Classic will be played in an Orlando bubble
https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/9/16/21437509/report-ncaa-planning-multiple-bubble-events-duke-basketball

And, just to build some more excitement, I was happy to see this:

Henry Coleman III
@hencoleman3
I Promise you are going to LOVE this Duke Team!!!

hallcity
09-18-2020, 01:27 PM

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
9m

It makes perfect sense. Duke has empty hotels rooms at the Washington Duke and J.B. Duke hotels just steps away from Cameron, plenty of space for other schools to practice, a lavishly staffed athletic department to make the arrangements and the resources of an enormous medical center less than a mile away. Duke has the leverage to get it done. It would be great to get some major opponents onboard. The only problems is that I won't be able to get in!

I wonder about other local teams. Would UNC and NCSU want to make this a shared thing? Would Duke want to work with them on this?

mo.st.dukie
09-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Eh, we'll see who the other teams are that get invited to play in Durham. I could see it being a bunch of HBCU's including NCCU. I mean, that would be a cool social justice awareness thing but in terms of basketball I was really looking forward to seeing the team against a strong Battle 4 Atlantis field. If the regular season is cut back in the number of games and with the talk of small schools losing the revenue from playing at the big schools, it just seems like Duke would go the route of bringing in a bunch of small schools to play 3 games or so.

If Duke can somehow manage to convince other power conference teams to come to a bubble in Durham that would be awesome but I think that would be a hard sell considering other P5 teams have tournament bubbles and could host their own bubble of small school opponents.

Lord Ash
09-18-2020, 01:54 PM
Word out there that Duke may be dropping out of the Battle for Atlantis event, in favor of hosting a local basketball tournament?

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1306992280264421381

Lord Ash
09-18-2020, 01:57 PM
Sorry, didn't realize that the rather generically-named "Duke Playing Basketball in 2020-21" thread was about this.

I encourage the use of more descriptive thread titles :)

(I also encourage the deletion of this thread by a mod.)

uh_no
09-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Word out there that Duke may be dropping out of the Battle for Atlantis event, in favor of hosting a local basketball tournament?

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1306992280264421381

big 4??? hey i can hope.

Bluedog
09-18-2020, 02:10 PM
Interestingly, ALL the other teams confirmed playing in SD except Duke. That is a LOADED field. Alas, could also be cool to host a tournament, but will be hard to pull off - but if anybody can, it's Duke and Coach K.

As far as hotel rooms in the WaDuke, some of those are being used for student housing - well, at least, for the basketball team. I recognize that is only ~15 rooms, no idea if other students got placed there.

budwom
09-18-2020, 02:35 PM
anything makes more sense than travelling halfway across the country to play in South Dakota. That's just stoopid. Maybe they should have held it during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

superdave
09-18-2020, 02:44 PM
It would be cool to see an HBCU event with Central, A&T, Howard, etc.

Natty_B
09-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Eh, we'll see who the other teams are that get invited to play in Durham. I could see it being a bunch of HBCU's including NCCU. I mean, that would be a cool social justice awareness thing but in terms of basketball I was really looking forward to seeing the team against a strong Battle 4 Atlantis field. If the regular season is cut back in the number of games and with the talk of small schools losing the revenue from playing at the big schools, it just seems like Duke would go the route of bringing in a bunch of small schools to play 3 games or so.

If Duke can somehow manage to convince other power conference teams to come to a bubble in Durham that would be awesome but I think that would be a hard sell considering other P5 teams have tournament bubbles and could host their own bubble of small school opponents.

The issue is it's widely reported that the Champions Classic will be the first week of December in Orlando. So Durham to South Dakota bubble to Orlando bubble is about impossible. I think this idea is way cooler and IMO the interest from other schools (not just P5 this isn't football) will be big. We're spoiled but playing at Cameron (even without fans) is a big deal.

tbyers11
09-18-2020, 03:31 PM
It would be cool to see an HBCU event with Central, A&T, Howard, etc.

Eight team event with 4 HBCU teams (NCCU for sure) and 3 other P5 teams with Duke. One cross group (P5 v HBCU game per team) and then 4 team 2 game mini tournament within your group.

That could be really cool

revmel53
09-18-2020, 03:55 PM
I'm disappointed because of the good field, and believe folks in South Dakota will pull it off well; but that said, this could be huge for Duke!

hallcity
09-18-2020, 04:19 PM
There's now a report from Kevin Connelly at Fansided (https://balldurham.com/2020/09/17/duke-basketball-battle-4-atlantis-canceled-2020-21-season/) that Duke really will be playing in that 8 team tournament in South Dakota but it will no longer be called the Battle for Atlantis -- same teams but a different name for the event. I can understand why the Atlantis resort didn't want its name associated with South Dakota in November but this is bizarre.

rocketeli
09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

I think having an event with local HBCUs could work--because Duke has had so much privilege over the years (and so much more money) to make it interesting develop a formula to handicap the teams. In other words if Duke is playing WSSU and their basketball budget is 1/20th of Duke's, then WSSU will be spotted a certain number of points (20? 30?) to start the game and Duke would have to outscore them to win. If it already an exhibition due to being in different NCAA levels etc, it could work?

hallcity
09-18-2020, 06:14 PM
There’s now a press release saying that the tournament that was originally supposed to have been at the Atlantis resort but was then rumored to be heading to South Dakota has been officially cancelled. (https://sports.yahoo.com/battle-4-atlantis-canceled-not-relocating-from-bahamas-to-south-dakota-215852407.html) The report that it hadn’t really been cancelled was wrong.

heyman25
09-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Interestingly, ALL the other teams confirmed playing in SD except Duke. That is a LOADED field. Alas, could also be cool to host a tournament, but will be hard to pull off - but if anybody can, it's Duke and Coach K.

As far as hotel rooms in the WaDuke, some of those are being used for student housing - well, at least, for the basketball team. I recognize that is only ~15 rooms, no idea if other students got placed there.

There are other hotels JB Duke and another Duke bought off Erwin Road

Bluedog
09-18-2020, 09:20 PM
There’s now a press release saying that the tournament that was originally supposed to have been at the Atlantis resort but was then rumored to be heading to South Dakota has been officially cancelled. (https://sports.yahoo.com/battle-4-atlantis-canceled-not-relocating-from-bahamas-to-south-dakota-215852407.html) The report that it hadn’t really been cancelled was wrong.

People are really confusing things. The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament and its organizers/sponsors are not holding the event (i.e. "canceled.") However, there is an effort to have the exact same field and same structure in a tournament in SD, yet to have an official name. Reportedly, Duke is the only team that isn't on board with the idea. QED

#allsubjecttochange

duke2x
09-18-2020, 11:09 PM
People are really confusing things. The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament and its organizers/sponsors are not holding the event (i.e. "canceled.") However, there is an effort to have the exact same field and same structure in a tournament in SD, yet to have an official name. Reportedly, Duke is the only team that isn't on board with the idea.

Duke could probably schedule its own 4 game tournament in NYC and get a good field with a couple phone calls. The Atlantis field is better than what we could schedule on our own.

I don't know what the concern is. Is Coach K or the administration concerned about COVID-19 for himself, staff, or players? Does Coach K want to avoid the 3 team tournament because it takes up too many away/neutral spots? (He mentioned rethinking the trip to Maui in a presser last time. We only had 18 ACC games when this contract was signed instead of 20.)

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2020, 11:59 PM
Duke could probably schedule its own 4 game tournament in NYC and get a good field with a couple phone calls. The Atlantis field is better than what we could schedule on our own.

I don't know what the concern is. Is Coach K or the administration concerned about COVID-19 for himself, staff, or players? Does Coach K want to avoid the 3 team tournament because it takes up too many away/neutral spots? (He mentioned rethinking the trip to Maui in a presser last time. We only had 18 ACC games when this contract was signed instead of 20.)

Who is going to back renting out the venue to play it in? There won't be fans there, so the only revenue is going to be from TV, and honestly that isn't likely to pay much, even with Duke playing. If they want anything to happen, hosting in Cameron makes more sense, just from financial reasons alone.

duke2x
09-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Who is going to back renting out the venue to play it in? There won't be fans there, so the only revenue is going to be from TV, and honestly that isn't likely to pay much, even with Duke playing. If they want anything to happen, hosting in Cameron makes more sense, just from financial reasons alone.

TV? I am skeptical that you are going to get decent non-conference opponents by holding the games at Duke. Kansas tried this a couple times long before COVID-19. They had to play a home-home with Arizona to get a quality opponent and had the rest with other smaller schools that did not help NET rankings. Noting that I have not seen schedules, the best case scenario might be Gardner-Webb, VCU, and Georgetown with a return to Georgetown in a future year.

A full round-robin for the Champions Classic would be enough for the NET rankings on a 27 game schedule when you have 18-20 ACC games.

UrinalCake
09-19-2020, 09:11 PM
Pure speculation/fantasy here, but I'm wondering if the teams would ever consider turning the Champions Classic into a three-game MTE? The teams could bubble for a week and then play round robin over five days. It would be brutal to have to play three games against elite opponents that early in the season, but a ton of fun for us as fans!

Also, the title of this thread did not indicate that it was a Duke-only discussion, so I will also pass along that the Maui Invitational is being moved to Asheville, NC. Quite a home court advantage the CHeats will have. Also, Louisville and Kentucky have announced they are planning to host small MTE tournaments on their home courts. I think there's a high likelihood that Duke and many other top programs do the same. It allows them to get 2-3 games in against opponents of their choosing on their home floor, in a bubbled format.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Pure speculation/fantasy here, but I'm wondering if the teams would ever consider turning the Champions Classic into a three-game MTE? The teams could bubble for a week and then play round robin over five days. It would be brutal to have to play three games against elite opponents that early in the season, but a ton of fun for us as fans!

Also, the title of this thread did not indicate that it was a Duke-only discussion, so I will also pass along that the Maui Invitational is being moved to Asheville, NC. Quite a home court advantage the CHeats will have. Also, Louisville and Kentucky have announced they are planning to host small MTE tournaments on their home courts. I think there's a high likelihood that Duke and many other top programs do the same. It allows them to get 2-3 games in against opponents of their choosing on their home floor, in a bubbled format.

My business partner was part of the team that got Maui relocated to Asheville. Very cool for out town.

Not sure that it really accounts for a "home court advantage" with no fans in attendance though.

hallcity
09-19-2020, 09:46 PM

Coach Calipari floated this idea (https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/champions-classic-among-primary-priorities-to-be-played-in-orlando-bubble/) in August. I’ve seen no idea the idea was getting support from the other participants.

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 09:53 PM

And what prithee tell me is an MTE?

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2020, 09:59 PM
And what prithee tell me is an MTE?

Multi Team Event

hallcity
09-19-2020, 10:34 PM
It’s not just Duke. Louisville is planning a bubble (https://twitter.com/coachchrismack/status/1306974152017014786?s=21) at their place.

UrinalCake
09-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Multi Team Event

Yep, it’s the term that describes out of conference tournaments in which teams can play up to three games that don’t count against the allowable maximum number of games. They used to be called “exempt” tournaments, but “MTE” sounds so much cooler ;)

Billy Dat
09-20-2020, 11:51 AM
I understand many DBRers dislike of Seth Greenberg and Dan Dakich but their most recent podcast includes updates from Andy Katz and one of ESPN's head of college basketball operations on how these multi team events are taking shape, the various considerations, etc. I found it had a lot of useful information:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/podcast/archive/_/id/2689788

It's the 9/17/20 episode.

hallcity
09-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Howard, with Makur Maker, will be at Duke for an event on 12/4-5.

I guess I was expecting something more than a two day event.

UrinalCake
09-21-2020, 10:35 PM
Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Howard, with Makur Maker, will be at Duke for an event on 12/4-5.

I guess I was expecting something more than a two day event.

Would love for Duke to make it a point to schedule some HBCU’s every year. Getting to see Makur would be great too.

CrazyNotCrazie
09-21-2020, 10:37 PM
Would love for Duke to make it a point to schedule some HBCU’s every year. Getting to see Makur would be great too.

And Howard's head coach is Kenny Blakeney and Tyler Thornton is an assistant - strong Duke ties.

hallcity
09-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Luke Decock at the N&O (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article245951620.html) has an interesting piece on scheduling at Duke and other local schools. It confirms what we had already been hearing. It does add that the ACC schedule may not be completed until October, although it doesn't say when in October. I'm guessing it won't be early October. Decock does mention that Jon Jackson (https://goduke.com/staff-directory/jon-jackson/181) is the guy at Duke in charge of basketball scheduling. I don't recall hearing his name before. I wish him luck this season!

English
09-24-2020, 11:08 AM
There have been a couple of scheduling updates lately that I haven't seen added to the discourse here:

Champions Classic is anticipated for December 1 (Duke/msu, UK/KU)--Source numerous Duke & CBB journos
ACC/B1G Challenge is anticipated for December 8-9--Source Jon Rothstein

Obviously things are subject to change, which is why I say 'anticipated,' but I appreciate some tangible dates to look forward to.

jimsumner
09-24-2020, 11:14 AM
Luke Decock at the N&O (https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article245951620.html) has an interesting piece on scheduling at Duke and other local schools. It confirms what we had already been hearing. It does add that the ACC schedule may not be completed until October, although it doesn't say when in October. I'm guessing it won't be early October. Decock does mention that Jon Jackson (https://goduke.com/staff-directory/jon-jackson/181) is the guy at Duke in charge of basketball scheduling. I don't recall hearing his name before. I wish him luck this season!

Jon's been at Duke for a long, long time. He knows his way through the thickets.

Natty_B
09-24-2020, 11:14 AM
There have been a couple of scheduling updates lately that I haven't seen added to the discourse here:

Champions Classic is anticipated for December 1 (Duke/msu, UK/KU)--Source numerous Duke & CBB journos
ACC/B1G Challenge is anticipated for December 8-9--Source Jon Rothstein

Obviously things are subject to change, which is why I say 'anticipated,' but I appreciate some tangible dates to look forward to.

Good to have a nice break between those two games. Now if the Duke mini-tournament is in between let's not kid ourselves on the level of competition for that. Also thank heavens we still get our 500th game vs Michigan St. this century. In fact since Duke and MSU are destined to play each other as much as possible maybe just have MSU be the Big10 challenge team.

JasonEvans
09-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Good to have a nice break between those two games. Now if the Duke mini-tournament is in between let's not kid ourselves on the level of competition for that. Also thank heavens we still get our 500th game vs Michigan St. this century. In fact since Duke and MSU are destined to play each other as much as possible maybe just have MSU be the Big10 challenge team.

Duke is going to get one of Iowa, Wisconsin, or Illinois in the Challenge. All three are preseason top 10 teams and Duke is widely see alongside Virginia as the top team in the ACC this year.

UrinalCake
09-24-2020, 12:30 PM

I will add that the Champions Classic is going to be played in Orlando

(Source: something I read or possibly heard)

Nugget
09-24-2020, 12:49 PM
Duke is going to get one of Iowa, Wisconsin, or Illinois in the Challenge. All three are preseason top 10 teams and Duke is widely see alongside Virginia as the top team in the ACC this year.

They could switch the home/road designations around, given covid-19's lessened effect on home-court advantage and the past practice of not 100 percent rigidly enforcing the goal of not having teams play road games in consecutive years. If they don't, then Duke, U.Va., Iowa and Wisconsin are all due home games. That would suggest something like:

Duke-Illinois
Virginia-Michigan St.
Iowa-North Carolina
Wisconsin-Louisville

Natty_B
09-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Illinois fans are frothing at the mouth to get Duke. I would like to see Iowa at Duke it would be fun with Garza and could be a tribute to Chris Street.

duke2x
09-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Illinois fans are frothing at the mouth to get Duke. I would like to see Iowa at Duke it would be fun with Garza and could be a tribute to Chris Street.

I'm confused as to why. We haven't played them since Maui 2007. NCAA 2004? We won both by double digits. They did win in Cameron my sophomore year to end the '83-'95 non-conference win streak, but the current non-conference win streak is 3. That would be equivalent to adding a Helms or NIT 3rd place feather to your cap.

Natty_B
09-24-2020, 03:47 PM
I'm confused as to why. We haven't played them since Maui 2007. NCAA 2004? We won both by double digits. They did win in Cameron my sophomore year to end the '83-'95 non-conference win streak, but the current non-conference win streak is 3. That would be equivalent to adding a Helms or NIT 3rd place feather to your cap.

Mainly because for a lot of programs playing Duke is a BIG DEAL.

JasonEvans
09-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Mainly because for a lot of programs playing Duke is a BIG DEAL.

Illinois hasn't had a team that would have been expected to really compete with Duke since about 2005. We are the big boy that everyone wants to measure against. This year, for the first time in a loooong time, Illinois would appear to be back to being a significant player on the national stage. Of course they would froth at the mouth for the chance to play the gold standard and show they really do belong in the national title conversation.

jv001
09-24-2020, 04:44 PM
Bring back the Big Four classic from years ago. Duke, Wake, State and the Cheats fighting it out. Better, bring back the Dixie(different first name?) Classic. But State and Wake would have to do some outstanding recruiting to compete with the top teams from across the country.

GoDuke!

MartyClark
09-24-2020, 04:53 PM
Bring back the Big Four classic from years ago. Duke, Wake, State and the Cheats fighting it out. Better, bring back the Dixie(different first name?) Classic. But State and Wake would have to do some outstanding recruiting to compete with the top teams from across the country.

GoDuke!

I'm with you on that. Call it something else and revive this great tradition. In a more typical setting, some would be worried about having to pay the Cheats too many times in a season. Everything is up for grabs this year, it is not at all clear that Duke will be able to play the Cheats twice more during regular season NCAA play. I, for one, am not reluctant to play the Cheats 3 or 4 times before the NCAA tournament.

MChambers
09-24-2020, 05:53 PM
The Maui Tournament will be played in my backyard this year. Which would be exciting, except there's no fans.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29914023/sources-2020-maui-invitational-moving-asheville-north-carolina-coronavirus-pandemic

No beaches, either.

hustleplays
09-25-2020, 01:53 AM

Many Illini, including then Illini Coach Bruce Weber, will never forgive Jon for choosing Duke over Illinois.

Jon was regarded as Illinois' best HS b-baller at the time, and many Illini assumed/hoped that he would go to Champagne-Urbana. There was shock, disappointment and anger when Jon chose Duke.

Making it especially painful: Bruce Weber is David Weber's brother -- David being Jon's HS basketball coach. Ouch. Evidently, the Webers thought they had a lock on Jon's future.

For fun, and to see how high the hopes were, and how deep the disappointment was, I have clipped some excerpts from Wikipedia about Jon's HS career:

Scheyer led his high school team to an Illinois state basketball championship as a high school All-American, and was one of the starters on the 2009–10 Duke Blue Devils that won the 2010 NCAA Basketball Championship, as a college All-American. He was a prolific high school scorer, and later an Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) leader in numerous statistical categories, ranging from free throw percentage and three point shots/game to assists/turnover ratio.

In high school, he once scored 21 points in a game's final 75 seconds of play in an attempt to spark a comeback. The 4th-leading scorer in Illinois high school history, he led his team to a state championship in 2005, and was named Illinois Mr. Basketball in 2006. Also in 2006, Scheyer was voted as one of the 100 Legends of the IHSA Boys Basketball Tournament, a group of former players and coaches in honor of the 100 anniversary of the IHSA boys basketball tournament.

His HS coach David Weber said: "I call him a combination of Larry Bird and 'Pistol' Pete (Maravich). He's got the flair, the passing abilities. He's got good size. He's a rare player in this day and age."

One example of his dogged pursuit of excellence is that while in high school, Scheyer refused to leave the gym one night until he made 50 consecutive free throws.[30] After finally hitting 49 in a row, he missed on his final attempt.[30] His father encouraged him to join him and go home, but – as his coach recalled – "Jon looked at him and said, 'No. I'm starting over.' Then he stayed until he made 50 in a row."[30]

Scheyer is the 4th-leading scorer in Illinois history, behind Charles McElvain, with 3,034 points, and he is the only player in state history to finish his career ranked in the all-time top 10 in points (4th), rebounds, assists (6th), and steals (7th).[19][23] He was named Illinois Mr. Basketball in 2006 by an overwhelming margin (receiving 217 votes, to 17 for the 2nd-place finisher), a high school All-American, a two-time Gatorade state Player of the Year, and a three-time All-State selection.[2][20][25] He had a reputation as an exceptional 3-point shooter, a good defensive rebounder, and a big-game performer.[31] In naming him to the Illinois First-Team for the decade, ESPN wrote that he was "one of the greatest Illinois high school players of all-time". He was also named to the century-list, the "100 Legends of Illinois Basketball (1908–2007)".[25] Illinois Warriors coach Larry Butler said: "Jon Scheyer is one of the most prolific scorers I've seen in Illinois high school basketball. He was just the ultimate team player. Jon Scheyer would take the shirt off his back to win a game."[32] A Chicago Sun-Times article observed:

Scheyer's offensive game is amazing ... He hits jumpers from all manner of pogo-stick angles. He can hit runners while shooting back across his body. He can drive and finish in acrobatic ways. His offensive repertoire of ways to score is like a magician's bag of tricks. Offensively, he is a modern-day 'Pistol' Pete Maravich.[33]

So, it would be fun to play Illinois and I hope that Coach K lets Jon coach much of the game!

jv001
09-25-2020, 06:13 AM
Many Illini, including then Illini Coach Bruce Weber, will never forgive Jon for choosing Duke over Illinois.

Jon was regarded as Illinois' best HS b-baller at the time, and many Illini assumed/hoped that he would go to Champagne-Urbana. There was shock, disappointment and anger when Jon chose Duke.

Making it especially painful: Bruce Weber is David Weber's brother -- David being Jon's HS basketball coach. Ouch. Evidently, the Webers thought they had a lock on Jon's future.

For fun, and to see how high the hopes were, and how deep the disappointment was, I have clipped some excerpts from Wikipedia about Jon's HS career:

Scheyer led his high school team to an Illinois state basketball championship as a high school All-American, and was one of the starters on the 2009–10 Duke Blue Devils that won the 2010 NCAA Basketball Championship, as a college All-American. He was a prolific high school scorer, and later an Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) leader in numerous statistical categories, ranging from free throw percentage and three point shots/game to assists/turnover ratio.

In high school, he once scored 21 points in a game's final 75 seconds of play in an attempt to spark a comeback. The 4th-leading scorer in Illinois high school history, he led his team to a state championship in 2005, and was named Illinois Mr. Basketball in 2006. Also in 2006, Scheyer was voted as one of the 100 Legends of the IHSA Boys Basketball Tournament, a group of former players and coaches in honor of the 100 anniversary of the IHSA boys basketball tournament.

His HS coach David Weber said: "I call him a combination of Larry Bird and 'Pistol' Pete (Maravich). He's got the flair, the passing abilities. He's got good size. He's a rare player in this day and age."

One example of his dogged pursuit of excellence is that while in high school, Scheyer refused to leave the gym one night until he made 50 consecutive free throws.[30] After finally hitting 49 in a row, he missed on his final attempt.[30] His father encouraged him to join him and go home, but – as his coach recalled – "Jon looked at him and said, 'No. I'm starting over.' Then he stayed until he made 50 in a row."[30]

Scheyer is the 4th-leading scorer in Illinois history, behind Charles McElvain, with 3,034 points, and he is the only player in state history to finish his career ranked in the all-time top 10 in points (4th), rebounds, assists (6th), and steals (7th).[19][23] He was named Illinois Mr. Basketball in 2006 by an overwhelming margin (receiving 217 votes, to 17 for the 2nd-place finisher), a high school All-American, a two-time Gatorade state Player of the Year, and a three-time All-State selection.[2][20][25] He had a reputation as an exceptional 3-point shooter, a good defensive rebounder, and a big-game performer.[31] In naming him to the Illinois First-Team for the decade, ESPN wrote that he was "one of the greatest Illinois high school players of all-time". He was also named to the century-list, the "100 Legends of Illinois Basketball (1908–2007)".[25] Illinois Warriors coach Larry Butler said: "Jon Scheyer is one of the most prolific scorers I've seen in Illinois high school basketball. He was just the ultimate team player. Jon Scheyer would take the shirt off his back to win a game."[32] A Chicago Sun-Times article observed:

Scheyer's offensive game is amazing ... He hits jumpers from all manner of pogo-stick angles. He can hit runners while shooting back across his body. He can drive and finish in acrobatic ways. His offensive repertoire of ways to score is like a magician's bag of tricks. Offensively, he is a modern-day 'Pistol' Pete Maravich.[33]

So, it would be fun to play Illinois and I hope that Coach K lets Jon coach much of the game!

Thanks for the information on Jon. I am surprised that there was not a quote in there from Jumbo. :cool: Sorry Jumbo, I couldn't resist. Jumbo was a big fan of Jon Scheyer, as was I.

GoDuke!

weezie
09-25-2020, 04:42 PM
As we is jv001!:cool:

hallcity
09-30-2020, 03:20 PM
@TheDukeNation
·
17m
Duke will host an event in early December. The teams will include Howard, Elon, and Bellarmine.

Duke will only play Elon and Bellarmine.

Why not Howard?

duke2x
09-30-2020, 03:29 PM
Why not Howard?

While the NCAA/CBS love it, Coach K does not like to play former players.

UrinalCake
09-30-2020, 08:17 PM
That's a major bummer. If the purpose of this event is to bring awareness to social justice, why not give a HBCU a shot at beating one of the big boys, or at a minimum give them a nationally televised game? Instead we're playing a program that is in its first year as a D1 school. Pretty weak if I'm being honest.

mgtr
10-01-2020, 02:59 AM
That's a major bummer. If the purpose of this event is to bring awareness to social justice, why not give a HBCU a shot at beating one of the big boys, or at a minimum give them a nationally televised game? Instead we're playing a program that is in its first year as a D1 school. Pretty weak if I'm being honest.
He who pays the piper calls the tune!

English
10-01-2020, 11:44 AM
Two more exhibition-quality games on the (likely shortened) regular season schedule. Color me disappointed. The home non-conference schedule seems to get weaker and weaker every year.

Natty_B
10-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Two more exhibition-quality games on the (likely shortened) regular season schedule. Color me disappointed. The home non-conference schedule seems to get weaker and weaker every year.

Brendan Marks of The Athletic (who is terrific - I would encourage people on this board who go to trash sites like Ball Durham to instead pony up for The Athletic) pretty much explained the thinking on this last week:

Considering the lost revenue the athletic department is likely to incur due to the lack or absence of fans, it makes sense that Duke doesn’t want to be flying all over the place and spending money for those games. Also, the pandemic is still going on last I checked. So I’d expect more buy games against lower-level opponents, who come to Cameron and collect their check. Duke gets games, small schools get some necessary financial reimbursement. Win-win, no?

My take, as I explained up thread, is that Duke isn't throwing a tough game onto their schedule in the week between Michigan State and the Big10 challenge.

hallcity
10-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Anybody else remember home games with Oklahoma, Notre Dame (before joining ACC), Louisville (before joining ACC), Kansas, Michigan (before B10-ACC Challenge), UCLA, and Arizona?

JasonEvans
10-01-2020, 12:27 PM
I would like to point out that at this moment I think we only really know about 4 of Duke's non-conference games... 2 against top tier D1 powers (a top team in the Big Ten challenge and Michigan State) and 2 lower-level "buy games." I suspect we may only add a couple games around Thanksgiving, likely against quality opponents, and perhaps one more game in Cameron in mid-December and that will probably be it. How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?

MartyClark
10-01-2020, 12:53 PM
I would like to point out that at this moment I think we only really know about 4 of Duke's non-conference games... 2 against top tier D1 powers (a top team in the Big Ten challenge and Michigan State) and 2 lower-level "buy games." I suspect we may only add a couple games around Thanksgiving, likely against quality opponents, and perhaps one more game in Cameron in mid-December and that will probably be it. How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?

I don't think we can judge Duke, or any program, on their schedule this year. Everything is up in the air and I have no confidence that most of the scheduled games will take place.

In general though, I'm disappointed at the trend Duke and other programs are showing for scheduling multiple cupcake games at home. I would like to see Duke schedule more power 5 opponents before conference play starts.I understand why they don't but as a basketball consumer I would like to see more quality games before conference play starts.

sagegrouse
10-01-2020, 01:20 PM
I don't think we can judge Duke, or any program, on their schedule this year. Everything is up in the air and I have no confidence that most of the scheduled games will take place.

In general though, I'm disappointed at the trend Duke and other programs are showing for scheduling multiple cupcake games at home. I would like to see Duke schedule more power 5 opponents before conference play starts.I understand why they don't but as a basketball consumer I would like to see more quality games before conference play starts.

The ACC schedule is now -- what? -- 20 games and possibly three or more in the ACC Tournament. I don't expect the OOC scheduling to become more demanding.

hallcity
10-01-2020, 01:32 PM
The ACC schedule is now -- what? -- 20 games and possibly three or more in the ACC Tournament. I don't expect the OOC scheduling to become more demanding.

I'm not looking forward to it but once Coach K is retired, Duke basketball will need to work hard to justify the lofty contributions required to buy season tickets and the ultra high level national profile. More ambitious scheduling may be part of that.

UrinalCake
10-01-2020, 01:46 PM
How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?

I don’t expect us to schedule another top opponent, and made this point a couple weeks ago. But my issue is with avoiding Howard in favor of Bellarmine. We’re refusing to play a team that has maybe a 2% chance of beating us so we can play a team that has a 0.1% chance. And we’re wasting an opportunity to actually do something positive for a HBCU while under the guise of hosting an event for that very purpose.

Nugget
10-01-2020, 02:31 PM
I don’t expect us to schedule another top opponent, and made this point a couple weeks ago. But my issue is with avoiding Howard in favor of Bellarmine. We’re refusing to play a team that has maybe a 2% chance of beating us so we can play a team that has a 0.1% chance. And we’re wasting an opportunity to actually do something positive for a HBCU while under the guise of hosting an event for that very purpose.

And, if we wanted to avoid playing Kenny Blakeney, why not also include another North Carolina HBCU like NCCU, NCA&T or Winston-Salem St., rather than Bellarmine?

JasonEvans
10-02-2020, 11:12 AM
And, if we wanted to avoid playing Kenny Blakeney, why not also include another North Carolina HBCU like NCCU, NCA&T or Winston-Salem St., rather than Bellarmine?

I hear ya and we spoke about this on the most recent podcast (https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duke-basketball-report?selected=VMP3004815882)... but we should also wait to see the schedule that comes out and how these events are handled before jumping to any conclusions. We have incomplete information at this point.

-Jason "Also, Howard is in the MEAC, which has a bunch of HBCUs already in it including NCCU and NCA&T... that may complicate things a bit" Evans

DavidBenAkiva
10-11-2020, 06:35 PM
The freshmen are showing off their new uniforms (https://twitter.com/swipasnipa/status/1315342621863292928) on social media, and more than one has included a caption with the date "November 25th."

From what we know about the schedules, there's the Champions Classic on December 1st, a multi-team event on Duke's campus in early December, and the ACC/B1G challenge, most likely early December with a home game for Duke this season.

The ACC schedule is going to be 20 games. The NCAA has set a maximum of 25 games with 4 out-of-conference games already in place. So does this mean Duke will be playing a non-conference opponent at home November 25th? That's how I read it.

arnie
10-11-2020, 08:13 PM
The freshmen are showing off their new uniforms (https://twitter.com/swipasnipa/status/1315342621863292928) on social media, and more than one has included a caption with the date "November 25th."

From what we know about the schedules, there's the Champions Classic on December 1st, a multi-team event on Duke's campus in early December, and the ACC/B1G challenge, most likely early December with a home game for Duke this season.

The ACC schedule is going to be 20 games. The NCAA has set a maximum of 25 games with 4 out-of-conference games already in place. So does this mean Duke will be playing a non-conference opponent at home November 25th? That's how I read it.

This is incorrect. The NCAA max is 25 games + a multi-game event with the total # of regular season games limited to 27.

DavidBenAkiva
10-12-2020, 07:48 AM
This is incorrect. The NCAA max is 25 games + a multi-game event with the total # of regular season games limited to 27.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I did a little digging on the NCAA site, and here's what they have:

In men's basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of:

25 regular-season games if a team does not participate in a multiple-team event
25 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to two games
24 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to three games

So based on that, Duke has the following penciled in:

November 25th: TBD ACC or non-conference opponent, most likely at Duke
December 1st: Champions Classic vs. Michigan State, at Orlando
December (TBD): "Duke Invitational" vs. Elon and Bellarmine, at Duke
December (TBD): ACC-B1G Challenge, at Duke, most likely to be December 8/9

In the spring, Duke had announced non-conference games against App State and Cleveland State. Now that I know there will be 27 games during the regular season, my hunch is that those games will either be the first two games of the year or they will take place after the ACC-B1G Challenge and before the rest of the conference schedule in late December/early January.

Looking at the schedule, it occurs to me that there will be probably be another game between the 25th and the Champions Classic on December 1st, on either Saturday or Sunday, November 28th or 29th. Last year, the ACC tried to get 2 conference games in to kick off the season. Perhaps the first two games in November will be ACC games and then we'll see one more non-conference matchup announced to fill out the schedule between the ACC-B1G Challenge and the rest of the ACC Schedule.

DavidBenAkiva
10-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Seeing chatter on twitter that Duke will play Gardner-Webb on November 25th.

hallcity
10-13-2020, 04:09 PM
@TheDukeNation (https://twitter.com/TheDukeNation/status/1316102303921954818)

OFFICIAL: Duke's first game will be November 25th when they host Gardner-Webb. Time and TV is still TBD.

CameronBornAndBred
10-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Seeing chatter on twitter that Duke will play Gardner-Webb on November 25th.

@TheDukeNation (https://twitter.com/TheDukeNation/status/1316102303921954818)

OFFICIAL: Duke's first game will be November 25th when they host Gardner-Webb. Time and TV is still TBD.

I don't remember the last time I missed our opening game, but I'll be missing that one as I enjoy a night of camping before spending the next day cooking a turkey at my parent's house. I'm hopeful they can handle the mighty Bulldogs without me!

JasonEvans
10-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Near as I can tell, this is going to be the schedule:

11/25 - Gardner-Webb at Duke
12/1 - Champion's Classic vs Michigan St in Orlando
12/4 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
12/5 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
12/8 or 12/9 - Big Ten Challenge against TBA probably at Duke (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa being most likely opponents)

There will be one more game, I am pretty sure. I could see something on 11/28 or 29 or something on 12/12 or 12/13.

-Jason "I hope we get a good team for that last game, maybe a Big East, SEC, or B12 team. Would like to see us do more than play small schools and the Big Ten" Evans

arnie
10-13-2020, 05:37 PM

12/8 or 12/9 - Big Ten Challenge against TBA probably at Duke (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa being most likely opponents)

There will be one more game, I am pretty sure. I could see something on 11/28 or 29 or something on 12/12 or 12/13.

-Jason "I hope we get a good team for that last game, maybe a Big East, SEC, or B12 team. Would like to see us do more than play small schools and the Big Ten" Evans

We can play 27 with the multi-team event. I’d expect 2 more games than you’ve listed.

JasonEvans
10-13-2020, 06:26 PM
We can play 27 with the multi-team event. I’d expect 2 more games than you’ve listed.

Most multi-team events allow you to play 3 games. Ours will only be 2 games so we are sorta leaving one game on the table this season (not exactly a bad idea given some of the craziness going on this year). Anyway, because I that I believe we are only going to be playing 26 total games this season (assuming we get all games in).

I could be wrong and if I am, I hope others correct me.

arnie
10-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Most multi-team events allow you to play 3 games. Ours will only be 2 games so we are sorta leaving one game on the table this season (not exactly a bad idea given some of the craziness going on this year). Anyway, because I that I believe we are only going to be playing 26 total games this season (assuming we get all games in).

I could be wrong and if I am, I hope others correct me.

Post 71 above indicates 27 games (as I’ve read before). Of course, I don’t know if we take full advantage or not,

1991 duke law
10-13-2020, 10:13 PM
I think having an event with local HBCUs could work--because Duke has had so much privilege over the years (and so much more money) to make it interesting develop a formula to handicap the teams. In other words if Duke is playing WSSU and their basketball budget is 1/20th of Duke's, then WSSU will be spotted a certain number of points (20? 30?) to start the game and Duke would have to outscore them to win. If it already an exhibition due to being in different NCAA levels etc, it could work?

Or you can ignore the budget differential, and give them the best recruits. My speculation is that would be sufficient.

I never envisioned that we would have to feel guilty about Duke basketball because the program has so much money and privilege. Makes you wonder about the football program...

follyblue
10-15-2020, 12:30 PM
Charleston Southern on December 12 per Charleston Post & Courier.

MarkD83
10-15-2020, 12:39 PM
Any idea when all of the scheduling becomes official?

Gduke.com still has the 2019-20 schedule. The depressing thing is that Countdown to Craziness was on Oct 18, 2019 about 1 year ago and we still are in limbo about 2020-21.

JasonEvans
10-15-2020, 02:03 PM

So, with Charleston Southern taking that 12/12 spot, I think the only spot left on the schedule is probably Thanksgiving weekend 11/29 or 29... unless we do something closer to Christmas, which is not something Duke has traditionally done.

duke2x
10-15-2020, 02:07 PM
So, with Charleston Southern taking that 12/12 spot, I think the only spot left on the schedule is probably Thanksgiving weekend 11/29 or 29... unless we do something closer to Christmas, which is not something Duke has traditionally done.

Do we know when ACC season starts? We have not always wanted to make a conference game the first one after the holiday break. We are often rusty.

-jk
10-15-2020, 03:29 PM
I think we can be sure this season will be like no recent one.

-jk

budwom
10-15-2020, 03:55 PM
I think we can be sure this season will be like no recent one.

-jk

Very Nantzian of you! A season like no other...

DavidBenAkiva
10-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I don't know about that term. That one needs to go back to the workshop a bit.

sagegrouse
10-15-2020, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I don't know about that term. That one needs to go back to the workshop a bit.

At first, I thought he had misspelled "Nietzschean." Budwom's got a lot of time to read philosophy in the woods up there.

Tappan Zee Devil
10-15-2020, 10:14 PM
At first, I thought he had misspelled "Nietzschean." Budwom's got a lot of time to read philosophy in the woods up there.

Nietzche is not readable
(I've tried)

Wahoo2000
10-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Very Nantzian of you! A season unlike any other...

FIFY

DavidBenAkiva
10-16-2020, 03:10 PM

With the front-page news that Duke will be hosting Charleston Southern, we are inching closer to a 27-game regular season.

11/25: Gardner-Webb at Duke
12/1: Champions Classic vs. MSU @ Orlando
12/4: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
12/5: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
12/8 or 9: ACC-B1G Challenge, most like at Duke
12/12: Charleston Southern at Duke

I still expect to see one more non-conference game before ACC play, most likely the weekend after November 25th. And then the ACC scheduled can begin in earnest after the 12th of December.

JasonEvans
10-16-2020, 04:38 PM
With the front-page news that Duke will be hosting Charleston Southern, we are inching closer to a 27-game regular season.

12/8 or 9: ACC-B1G Challenge, most like at Duke

I still expect to see one more non-conference game before ACC play, most likely the weekend after November 25th. And then the ACC scheduled can begin in earnest after the 12th of December.

Worth noting that a bunch of teams are going to be bubbling up in Orlando over Thanksgiving weekend. If we want to add another game just before playing MSU, there will be like 20 potential teams who could do it including both Baylor and Gonzaga.

hallcity
10-16-2020, 05:27 PM
Worth noting that a bunch of teams are going to be bubbling up in Orlando over Thanksgiving weekend. If we want to add another game just before playing MSU, there will be like 20 potential teams who could do it including both Baylor and Gonzaga.

Yep, and Duke could use the TV money from a big neutral site game.

-jk
10-16-2020, 07:20 PM
Yep, and Duke could use the TV money from a big neutral site game.

"Big" for the crowd? :)

-jk

budwom
10-20-2020, 09:14 AM
the America East conference announced today they will begin league play Dec 19...each team plays all others twice, BUT all games will be on Saturday and Sunday (back to back) at one location to limit travel.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-20-2020, 09:23 AM
the America East conference announced today they will begin league play Dec 19...each team plays all others twice, BUT all games will be on Saturday and Sunday (back to back) at one location to limit travel.

I guess without home crowds it is fairish.

Can you imagine Duke/UNC on back to back nights? I would need heart assistance in between.

DavidBenAkiva
10-22-2020, 11:15 PM

12/8 or 9: ACC-B1G Challenge, most likely at Duke

It looks like we have an almost complete non-conference schedule. Duke will host Coppin State (https://twitter.com/nlorensensports/status/1319370355471953921) on Saturday, November 28th. Now we just need confirmation of the Champions Classic and the ACC-B1G opponent.

11/28: Coppin State at Duke

It's not the most robust non-conference schedule. Then again, there is this thing called COVID that is causing havoc right now. I'm not going to judge any team for their non-conference schedule this season.

UrinalCake
10-23-2020, 04:42 AM
Well that gives us an HBCU opponent, which we were lacking by avoiding Howard. So that’s good. Agree that overall the non conference schedule is weak - basically the two “tournaments” plus a bunch of no-name schools unlikely to be competitive. But that’s along the lines of what we’ve seen in recent years, and the team will need those tune-up games.

sagegrouse
10-23-2020, 09:19 AM
It looks like we have an almost complete non-conference schedule. Duke will host Coppin State (https://twitter.com/nlorensensports/status/1319370355471953921) on Saturday, November 28th. Now we just need confirmation of the Champions Classic and the ACC-B1G opponent.

It's not the most robust non-conference schedule. Then again, there is this thing called COVID that is causing havoc right now. I'm not going to judge any team for their non-conference schedule this season.

The four supposedly easy games (I remember SF Austin) are "Momma" games. The scholarship guys down the bench get lots of playing time, not only for their own benefit, but also so their families can see them play in a Duke uniform.

English
10-23-2020, 01:09 PM
I will admit to a degree of disappointment at this non-conference schedule, as I mentioned here earlier when we backed out of the Battle for South Dakota (or whatever), but I suppose I understand the logic. With a schedule capped at 27gms, and a conference slate of 20 ACC opponents who will be largely high-level competition, there needs to be some margin for cupcakes and polishing up a young team.

In a typical year with 30+ games, there's room on the schedule for another challenging pre-season event and/or 1-2 more headline opponents on neutral court sites, while also keeping the mid- and low-major walkovers. This year, it was one or the other, and it's not reasonable to ask the team to only schedule conference opponents and top-25 or even top-75 KenPom projected teams.

Again, it's disappointing, but I'll still watch.

Nugget
10-23-2020, 02:11 PM
I will admit to a degree of disappointment at this non-conference schedule, as I mentioned here earlier when we backed out of the Battle for South Dakota (or whatever), but I suppose I understand the logic. With a schedule capped at 27gms, and a conference slate of 20 ACC opponents who will be largely high-level competition, there needs to be some margin for cupcakes and polishing up a young team.

In a typical year with 30+ games, there's room on the schedule for another challenging pre-season event and/or 1-2 more headline opponents on neutral court sites, while also keeping the mid- and low-major walkovers. This year, it was one or the other, and it's not reasonable to ask the team to only schedule conference opponents and top-25 or even top-75 KenPom projected teams.

Again, it's disappointing, but I'll still watch.

I will certainly still watch too, but I'd say that Duke's choosing 100% cupcakes beyond the Champions Classic and ACC/Big 10 is very disappointing. I get the point about needing to maybe pull back on the non-con challenges this year due to our (relatively) young team but I think there is some fair criticism here that we absolutely could and should not have chosen 5 cupcakes and 0 Top-25/75 level games to round out the schedule. I don't buy that the 20 game ACC schedule excuses that call. Other high-ranked teams with similarly-challenging major conference schedules are being more aggressive on non-con scheduling. Consider:

Baylor: Top 25 Ariz St. and likely Top 5 Villanova (MTE), Top 50 Seton Hall, Top 10 Illinois (Jimmy V), Top 5 Gonzaga, Top 75 Auburn (SEC/Big 12) + 18 Big 12 + probably 2 cupcakes.

Villanova: BC and likely Top 5 Baylor (MTE), Top 25 Texas (Big East/Big 12), Top 10 Virginia, St. Joe’s, @ La Salle, Temple, + 20 Big East.

Kentucky: Top 50 Richmond; cupcakes Detroit and Morehead St. (MTE), Top 10 Kansas (Champions Classic), Top 75 Ga. Tech, Notre Dame, Top 25 UCLA (CBS Classic), Top 50 Louisville, Top 25 Texas (SEC/Big 12) + 18 SEC.

Baylor seems to have gone a little crazy, particularly given how stacked the Big 12 is going to be. But, I don't see why Duke's non-con doesn't look more like Villanova's or Kentucky's.

JasonEvans
10-23-2020, 03:23 PM
I think we all would have been satisfied if Duke had dropped a couple of the cupcakes and merely added a decent mid-major or a mid-tier P5 team. Alabama, Davidson, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Georgetown, VCU, Furman... just a few of the teams that were higher ranked in Kenpom than UNC last season who would be better opponents than some of the lower-tier teams we are playing... sigh.

duke2x
10-23-2020, 03:47 PM
I think we all would have been satisfied if Duke had dropped a couple of the cupcakes and merely added a decent mid-major or a mid-tier P5 team. Alabama, Davidson, South Carolina, Rhode Island, Georgetown, VCU, Furman... just a few of the teams that were higher ranked in Kenpom than UNC last season who would be better opponents than some of the lower-tier teams we are playing... sigh.

It wasn't going to happen if you look at our past schedules. You can probably add tropical MTEs to the "no" list when we can get a 2 Cameron-2 NYC MTE every year.
In a traditional year, the proposed non-conference schedule would cost us 1-2 seed lines despite the ACC schedule. We really don't know how the postseason or even ACC schedule is going to work this year.

pfrduke
10-23-2020, 03:58 PM
It wasn't going to happen if you look at our past schedules. You can probably add tropical MTEs to the "no" list when we can get a 2 Cameron-2 NYC MTE every year.
In a traditional year, the proposed non-conference schedule would cost us 1-2 seed lines despite the ACC schedule. We really don't know how the postseason or even ACC schedule is going to work this year.

Not sure I completely agree with the comparison to past schedules. This looks to be the weakest non-conference schedule I can ever recall for a Duke team - at the very least, it’s the weakest in 20+ years. It’s not just the lack of top-line opponents, but the cupcakes are particularly cupcakey. This year’s full Pomeroy rankings aren’t out yet, but when they are I bet all of Bellarmine, Coppin State, Charleston Southern, and Gardner-Webb are all sub-200, and maybe all sub-250. We typically only have 1-2 of that level opponent on our schedule, and those are balanced out by the larger number of higher tier opponents. So we took basically 4 of our top 6 non-conference games off the schedule AND made the remaining 5 against relatively easier opponents.

DU82
10-23-2020, 05:23 PM

You have to be willing to have a home-and-home with P6 teams. Other than St. Johns and Georgetown, who play in NBA level arenas, who have we done this with lately? I don't recall who the last team we played H+H that DIDN'T play in an NBA arena. Michigan or UCLA? (Non B1G challenge, of course.)

MartyClark
10-23-2020, 06:03 PM
For me, the non conference schedule is pretty disappointing.

On the positive side, we may get the college basketball season in.

On the negative side, I probably can't go to any games.

ON the positive side, I can watch Duke on t.v., albeit in a sterile, no spectator environment

On the negative side, I still can't get the ACC network on Comcast and, because of Covid19 can't or won't go to a bar to watch the game.

Life is complicated

duke2x
10-23-2020, 07:38 PM
You have to be willing to have a home-and-home with P6 teams. Other than St. Johns and Georgetown, who play in NBA level arenas, who have we done this with lately? I don't recall who the last team we played H+H that DIDN'T play in an NBA arena. Michigan or UCLA? (Non B1G challenge, of course.)

Michigan 2008-2009 is the correct answer for "voluntary true road" games. You could also add Temple/Villanova in the 76ers arena as an away game when the opposing coaches consented.

sagegrouse
10-23-2020, 10:15 PM
Re: Duke 2020-21 schedule.

Last year we had 20 conference games and 11 other games (before ACCs and NCAAs -- which weren't played). We played Kansas, Cal, Georgetown and Michigan State.
Four out of 11 were power conference teams. Seven were much lesser teams (of course, we lost to SF Austin).

This year we will have 20 ACC games and only seven other games. Two of the seven will be Michigan State and the ACC-Big Ten challenge. Five will be other, much weaker teams. While the percent of power conference OOC games is lower as a percentage of OOC games -- it is only marginally so 2/7 = 0.289; 4/11 = 0.363.

pfrduke
10-23-2020, 10:44 PM
Re: Duke 2020-21 schedule.

Last year we had 20 conference games and 11 other games (before ACCs and NCAAs -- which weren't played). We played Kansas, Cal, Georgetown and Michigan State.
Four out of 11 were power conference teams. Seven were much lesser teams (of course, we lost to SF Austin).

This year we will have 20 ACC games and only seven other games. Two of the seven will be Michigan State and the ACC-Big Ten challenge. Five will be other, much weaker teams. While the percent of power conference OOC games is lower as a percentage of OOC games -- it is only marginally so 2/7 = 0.289; 4/11 = 0.363.

Yes, but not all non-power conference games are created equal. Last year we played 5 mid-major opponents - Georgia State, Wofford, Winthrop, Stephen F. Austin, and Colorado State - that all ended up ranked in the top half of NCAA teams (actually, all of them except Wofford ended up being ranked ahead of Cal, and Wofford was just one spot back). The only real bottom feeders were Central Arkansas and Brown. This year we have 4/7 that are likely to be bottom feeders - that’s the percentage that I think is making people perceive this (correctly in my mind) to be an exceptionally weak schedule.

Pghdukie
10-26-2020, 03:39 PM
CBS Sports and ESPN are reporting that the bubble events in Orlando are being canceled.

arnie
10-26-2020, 04:00 PM
CBS Sports and ESPN are reporting that the bubble events in Orlando are being canceled.

Hope we still play the Spartans somewhere and don’t replace with Campbell or Prairie View A&M.

DavidBenAkiva
10-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Jon Rothstein's anonymous sources suggest that Indianapolis is a potential location for the Champions Classic.

I feel confident that Duke will play MSU in early December.

rsvman
10-26-2020, 05:35 PM
For me, the non conference schedule is pretty disappointing.

On the positive side, we may get the college basketball season in.

On the negative side, I probably can't go to any games.

ON the positive side, I can watch Duke on t.v., albeit in a sterile, no spectator environment

On the negative side, I still can't get the ACC network on Comcast and, because of Covid19 can't or won't go to a bar to watch the game.

Life is complicated

Three words for you: cut.the.cord.

Hulu carries the ACC network. I didn't miss a single game last year. Cheaper, too.

UrinalCake
10-26-2020, 08:24 PM

That's a real bummer for the sport as a whole, and casts further doubt as to whether this season will happen. Really gives me even more of an appreciation for what the NBA was able to pull off, playing a full postseason with zero positive cases.

English
10-27-2020, 01:49 PM
There's been some real steam this week--from Norlander, Parrish, and others including Mark Titus--about P5 coaches pushing to limit the regular season to conference-only because of the gaps/disparity in COVID protocols across conferences (e.g., testing, contact tracing, withholding players, etc.). I'm skeptical that it'll come to pass, but it's discouraging that this issue is kicking up again because it was a hot-button topic months ago which doesn't appear to have received much productive resolution.

Something to keep an eye on...

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2020, 03:44 PM
There's been some real steam this week--from Norlander, Parrish, and others including Mark Titus--about P5 coaches pushing to limit the regular season to conference-only because of the gaps/disparity in COVID protocols across conferences (e.g., testing, contact tracing, withholding players, etc.). I'm skeptical that it'll come to pass, but it's discouraging that this issue is kicking up again because it was a hot-button topic months ago which doesn't appear to have received much productive resolution.

Something to keep an eye on...

Cases are on the rise, and and will continue to increase as the season approaches. Without an NBA style bubble, it's a near impossible task. There is no way you can put "student" athletes in a bubble. Not for a whole season. Hell, logistically alone it would be impossible.
Football has far less games, and even several of those had to be cancelled or postponed.
If Duke does not play 40 minutes of basketball this season, I will not be surprised.

duke2x
10-28-2020, 12:01 AM
Cases are on the rise, and and will continue to increase as the season approaches. Without an NBA style bubble, it's a near impossible task. There is no way you can put "student" athletes in a bubble. Not for a whole season. Hell, logistically alone it would be impossible. Football has far less games, and even several of those had to be cancelled or postponed.
If Duke does not play 40 minutes of basketball this season, I will not be surprised.

If TV football pays in dollars, basketball TV pays in dimes with the possible exception of Duke. We might see a full season, an abbreviated regular season, a delayed abbreviated season, or no season at all. I have to wonder how many non-seasons K, Boeheim, Roy, and others wait things out.

budwom
10-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Cases are on the rise, and and will continue to increase as the season approaches. Without an NBA style bubble, it's a near impossible task. There is no way you can put "student" athletes in a bubble. Not for a whole season. Hell, logistically alone it would be impossible.
Football has far less games, and even several of those had to be cancelled or postponed.

Yeah, I agree, the assumption that we're going to fly all over the East coast all winter seems like wishful thinking. The Covid is holding most of the cards at this point.

DavidBenAkiva
10-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Jon Rothstein is leaking out the matcups via his twitter account. My guess is that Duke is hosting Illinois, but he hasn't announced it yet.

Maryland @ Clemson
Pitt @ Northwestern
Georgia Tech @ Nebraska (sneaky good matchup)
Louisville @ Wisconsin
Penn State @ Virginia Tech
Iowa @ UNC
Michigan State @ Virginia (Tom Izzo mentioned this during a press conference earlier today)
Boston College @ Minnesota

sagegrouse
10-29-2020, 05:48 PM
Jon Rothstein is leaking out the matcups via his twitter account. My guess is that Duke is hosting Illinois, but he hasn't announced it yet.

Maryland @ Clemson
Pitt @ Northwestern
Georgia Tech @ Nebraska (sneaky good matchup)
Louisville @ Wisconsin
Penn State @ Virginia Tech
Iowa @ UNC
Michigan State @ Virginia (Tom Izzo mentioned this during a press conference earlier today)
Boston College @ Minnesota

Pitt @ Northwestern -- teammates and assistant coaches Capel vs. Collins.

DavidBenAkiva
10-29-2020, 06:08 PM
This is a really interesting matchup. Illinois played a little slow last year and really struggled to shoot it. The one guy that was able to knock down a 3-pointer left Champaign/Urbana for Syracuse. Still, the Illini have a pair of potential stars in 6'5" G Ayo Dosonmu, who shocked by spurning the NBA for a return to college, and 7'0" Kofi Cockburn. The latter is a strong and more traditional center, doing a lot of damage inside. The former is more a slasher that hasn't been able to consistently knock down the jumper yet.

Duke has a ton of wings to throw at Illinois, which is a position where the visitors will rely on a pair of transfers from Holy Cross and another from a D-III school in Connecticut. Are either going to be up to the task of defending Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson, or Matthew Hurt?

This could be a great matchup of contrasting styles and rosters. I'm excited to see it on the schedule.

hallcity
10-30-2020, 09:45 AM
The full ACC-B1G schedule is out. Duke plays Illinois on 12/8, probably at 9:00 or 9:30.

DavidBenAkiva
11-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Duke basketball announced it's Multi-Team Event will officially take place at two locations, including Duke and Howard. Bellarmine and Elon will play both Duke and Howard, with two games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and then the next two games taking place at Howard University. Mako Medical does the COVID-19 testing for Duke. The event is in honor of Dr. Onye Akwari, the first Black surgeon at Duke Hospitals and a long-time supporter and mentor to Duke basketball.

How it'll work is that Duke will host games on December 4th and 6th. Bellarmine and/or Elon will play at Duke and then go up to Howard in DC to play the Buffaloes on the 6th and 8th.

Here's the updated non-conference schedule:

12/1: Champions Classic vs. MSU @ TBD
12/6: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
12/8: Illinois at Duke / ACC-B1G Challenge

hallcity
11-02-2020, 11:54 AM
So, Howard won't even come to Duke. The other two teams will just shuttle between DC and RDU. It sounds like the definition of a MTE is kinda loose.

SlapTheFloor
11-02-2020, 11:55 AM
On the front page article on the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the article describes Larry Bird as "not gifted." I assume they're referring to run/jump athleticism? Because no one in their right minds should ever describe Larry Bird as "not gifted."

uh_no
11-02-2020, 12:06 PM
On the front page article on the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the article describes Larry Bird as "not gifted." I assume they're referring to run/jump athleticism? Because no one in their right minds should ever describe Larry Bird as "not gifted."

Bill Murray made it on the Toon Squad. Larry Bird didn't. 'nuff said.

jimsumner
11-02-2020, 04:03 PM
Details on the "Mako Classic."

https://goduke.com/news/2020/11/2/mens-basketball-plans-announced-for-mako-medical-duke-classic-honoring-dr-onye-e-akwari.aspx

budwom
11-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Details on the "Mako Classic."

https://goduke.com/news/2020/11/2/mens-basketball-plans-announced-for-mako-medical-duke-classic-honoring-dr-onye-e-akwari.aspx

hey, it sounds like it's for a good cause...but calling it a "Classic" is generous.

-jk
11-02-2020, 08:13 PM

I’m sure he was talking solely about physical gifts - which Bird did not possess in great abundance.

Julian has many times suggested Bird should be in the discussion of GOAT.

-jk

Native
11-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Larry’s not white. Larry’s clear.

MartyClark
11-02-2020, 08:50 PM
I’m sure he was talking solely about physical gifts - which Bird did not possess in great abundance.

-jk

Julian's articles have a lot of careless, gratuitous, asides. This was one. Larry Bird was extremely gifted. There are more physical gifts than foot speed and jumping ability. Larry had vision,timing, hand eye coordination, strength, endurance - all physical gifts.

UrinalCake
11-03-2020, 01:11 AM
So, Howard won't even come to Duke. The other two teams will just shuttle between DC and RDU. It sounds like the definition of a MTE is kinda loose.

As is the definition of a “bubble.”

Mako Classic? I bet gambling will be up for this event - the sharks will be all over this one.

roywhite
11-03-2020, 07:03 AM

-jk

I recall reading about Bird's unusual agility, particularly for a player his size.

Came across this in a letter from a reader following a Sports Illustrated feature on Bird:

Sir:
John Papanek's article was insightful but it failed to recognize one of Larry Bird's outstanding qualities, his agility. I've tested more than 3,500 college and professional athletes, including Bird, with the ARCO ability test. There is a data file for that test that contains more than 70,000 scores on items of strength, speed, power, agility, endurance, etc. Bird's agility score put him at the 90th percentile. No tall athlete had ever tested that well before. Surely, this helps explain his "good positioning."
ROBERT F. MCDAVID, PH.D.
Human Performance Laboratory
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, Ind.

MarkD83
11-03-2020, 10:07 AM
hey, it sounds like it's for a good cause...but calling it a "Classic" is generous.

I went to graduate school at UVA in the late 1980s. There was a sandwich shop that opened up in 1982 and in 1987 had a sign that said "A tradition since 1982". Some one pointed out that traditions in C'ville meant they had to go back at least a century since UVA was founded in 1819.

DavidBenAkiva
11-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Jon Rothstein's sources suggest the ACC schedule will be released next week.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1323694538456735744

UrinalCake
11-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Big news regarding the Champions Classic

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander

2m
News: Duke vs. Michigan State’s Champions Classic game will be held at Cameron Indoor Stadium this year, on Dec. 1, source confirms to
@CBSSports

@AdamZagoria
had it first. Kansas vs. Kentucky is going to be in Indianapolis. Tip-off times not yet decided.

DavidBenAkiva
11-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Big news regarding the Champions Classic

I kind of figured this was going to happen. There's not a lot of trust around testing protocols and Duke has a strong protocol in place. And of course, Duke played @ MSU last year. They are basically staying home for the entire non-conference schedule. I don't blame them even if rival fans will have fun with this. It's the safest thing to do.

UrinalCake
11-06-2020, 10:25 AM
I'm sure rival fans will complain about us getting a home team advantage regardless. Our game against them last season was technically part of the ACC/B10 Challenge, not the Champions Classic. But regardless, it's likely to be played without fans so our advantage will be drastically (though not completely) reduced.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2020, 10:40 AM
I'm sure rival fans will complain about us getting a home team advantage regardless. Our game against them last season was technically part of the ACC/B10 Challenge, not the Champions Classic. But regardless, it's likely to be played without fans so our advantage will be drastically (though not completely) reduced.

Cameron's gonna sound like the Dean Dome with all the audible shoe squeaking and silence in the stands.

arnie
11-06-2020, 11:50 AM

Wow, no OOC road games or neutral court games. Sounds like a Syracuse schedule from years ago.

Billy Dat
11-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Cameron's gonna sound like the Dean Dome with all the audible shoe squeaking and silence in the stands.

The better get a vocoder for K.

budwom
11-06-2020, 01:17 PM
The better get a vocoder for K.

ha, I don't know if anyone recalls this, but I vividly recall from some years ago that there was an open practice at Duke, so there was zero crowd noise....K got angry about someone's error on the court, and he thwacked his big leather soled shoe on the court, accompanied by a most vivid F word...sounded like a gunshot...things got even more silent at that point.

MChambers
11-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Izzo tests positive: https://www.wlns.com/top-stories/tom-izzo-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

chrishoke
11-09-2020, 04:37 PM
FYI Izzo is 65 years old.

budwom
11-09-2020, 05:00 PM
I look forward to seeing games if there is a season, but is anyone else sick of playing MSU? Enough already.

DavidBenAkiva
11-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Airing on the ACC Network right now

Dec 16 @ Notre Dame
Dec 29/30 Pitt
Jan 2 @ Florida State
Jan 5/6 Boston College
Jan 9 Wake Forest
Jan 12/13 @ Virginia Tech
Jan 19/20 @ Pitt
Jan 23 @ Louisville
Jan 26/27 Georgia Tech
Jan 30 Clemson
Feb 1 @ Miami
Feb 6 North Carolina
Feb 9/10 Notre Dame
Feb 13 @ NC State
Feb 16/17 @ Wake Forest
Feb 20 Virginia
Feb 22 Syracuse
Feb 27 Louisville
Mar 2/3 @ Georgia Tech
Mar 5/6 @ North Carolina

DavidBenAkiva
11-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Dec 16 @ Notre Dame
Dec 29/30 Pitt
Jan 2 @ Florida State
Jan 5/6 Boston College
Jan 9 Wake Forest
Jan 12/13 @ Virginia Tech
Jan 19/20 @ Pitt
Jan 23 @ Louisville
Jan 26/27 Georgia Tech
Jan 30 Clemson
Feb 1 @ Miami
Feb 6 North Carolina
Feb 9/10 Notre Dame
Feb 13 @ NC State
Feb 16/17 @ Wake Forest
Feb 20 Virginia
Feb 22 Syracuse
Feb 27 Louisville
Mar 2/3 @ Georgia Tech
Mar 5/6 @ North Carolina

Overall, the schedule looks alright with a tough road game in early January, 3 more road games in the middle/end of the month, and then a tough home stretch to close things out before the final two road games.

hallcity
11-10-2020, 10:26 AM
I just got an e-mail from Kevin White saying they won't sell any basketball tickets this season. I'm not surprised but I had still hoped they might hold open the possibility of selling tickets to those who had been vaccinated. IF current projections come to pass, a significant number of normal ticket holders may have received a safe, effective vaccine before the end of the regular season. That's uncertain but it's a possibility. Anyway, White is ruling out letting in vaccinated fans.

uh_no
11-10-2020, 10:31 AM
I just got an e-mail from Kevin White saying they won't sell any basketball tickets this season. I'm not surprised but I had still hoped they might hold open the possibility of selling tickets to those who had been vaccinated. IF current projections come to pass, a significant number of normal ticket holders may have received a safe, effective vaccine before the end of the regular season. That's uncertain but it's a possibility. Anyway, White is ruling out letting in vaccinated fans.

I would imagine things COULD change over the course of the season (for instance, there wasn't going to be a B10 football season, yet here we are). But I also understand the logistical challenge of trying to effectively sell tickets on contingency and manage that logistically (given how, erm, well the department seems to handle those things in general...).

That said, I'd love to get to a point where some students are allowed in....but things would have to improve significantly for it to get to that point. What Duke is doing right now is working as well as they could hope. They aren't going to risk the university for the basketball team.

hallcity
11-10-2020, 10:36 AM
Looking at the schedule, I'm surprised to see that the game at UNC may be on a Friday night. They've got it listed as 3/5 or 3/6. I wonder what the thinking is behind that.

uh_no
11-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Looking at the schedule, I'm surprised to see that the game at UNC may be on a Friday night. They've got it listed as 3/5 or 3/6. I wonder what the thinking is behind that.

I'm guessing they're just trying to stay as flexible as possible if they have to reschedule games...it would allow teams to get 3 games in in a week if necessary on midweek-friday-sunday if it came down to it.

That's just a guess though.

Kedsy
11-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Overall, the schedule looks alright with a tough road game in early January, 3 more road games in the middle/end of the month, and then a tough home stretch to close things out before the final two road games.

We have two games against four of the bottom five teams in the conference and against only two of the top five teams. Of teams against which we have only one game, it's a road game against just one of the top five and the rest against the middle of the pack.

It's the ACC and we always play UNC twice; unless someone was deliberately trying to give us the easiest possible schedule, it would be really hard to get an easier one than the one we have.

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Dec 16 @ The Notre Dame Fighting Super Spreaders

What a place to start the conference season.

JasonEvans
11-10-2020, 02:16 PM
We have two games against four of the bottom five teams in the conference and against only two of the top five teams. Of teams against which we have only one game, it's a road game against just one of the top five and the rest against the middle of the pack.

It's the ACC and we always play UNC twice; unless someone was deliberately trying to give us the easiest possible schedule, it would be really hard to get an easier one than the one we have.

Just wondering, who do you think are the top 5 and the bottom 5 in the league?

Top 5:
Virginia
Duke
UNC
FSU
Louisville

Bottom 5:
BC
Notre Dame
Wake
VT
and Pitt??

pfrduke
11-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Do we know when the time/TV announcements will be made for the schedule?

uh_no
11-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Do we know when the time/TV announcements will be made for the schedule?

knowing ESPN, they'll probbaly use the whole thing as an excuse to not announce gametimes until a few days ahead of time :|

Kedsy
11-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Just wondering, who do you think are the top 5 and the bottom 5 in the league?

Top 5:
Virginia
Duke
UNC
FSU
Louisville

Bottom 5:
BC
Notre Dame
Wake
VT
and Pitt??

Right, except GT not VT in the bottom five.

jimsumner
11-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Right, except GT not VT in the bottom five.

Don't look now, but Pastner is actually putting together a more than competitive team. DeVoe, Alvarado and Wright are all top-tier ACC players. They have an NCAAT-caliber team.

budwom
11-10-2020, 04:46 PM
anyone else seriously question if we actually get to play a fraction of these games? Hoop season is right in the middle of hunker down season, and the way things are going right now, things are going to get way worse before they get better.

CameronBornAndBred
11-10-2020, 04:52 PM
anyone else seriously question if we actually get to play a fraction of these games? Hoop season is right in the middle of hunker down season, and the way things are going right now, things are going to get way worse before they get better.

Yep yep yep

uh_no
11-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Don't look now, but Pastner is actually putting together a more than competitive team. DeVoe, Alvarado and Wright are all top-tier ACC players. They have an NCAAT-caliber team.

i'm not saying he'll be bottom five, but I've not seen anything in his coaching career that would indicate he can put together a more than competitive team...and he had some stellar classes at memphis...

JasonEvans
11-10-2020, 05:02 PM
i'm not saying he'll be bottom five, but I've not seen anything in his coaching career that would indicate he can put together a more than competitive team...and he had some stellar classes at memphis...

I'm with Jim on this. Ga Tech is one of the leading contenders to come out of the middle third and challenge the top third this season, IMO. They will have one of the best backcourts in the league, for sure. I suspect Miami will be picked 6th in the conference and I would probably slate Tech in there at #7... need to think about it a bit more.

sagegrouse
11-10-2020, 06:52 PM
I'm with Jim on this. Ga Tech is one of the leading contenders to come out of the middle third and challenge the top third this season, IMO. They will have one of the best backcourts in the league, for sure. I suspect Miami will be picked 6th in the conference and I would probably slate Tech in there at #7... need to think about it a bit more.

Analysis of conference schedules is much harder when you can't even count the teams on two hands, requiring removal of footwear.

Nrrrrvous
11-10-2020, 07:02 PM

I think it would be fun to do a Pick-em contest before anyone plays a game. Just to see where the resident experts put all 15. Let it simmer for a few months and check again after the season. Anyone up for it?

BlueDevil2K
11-10-2020, 08:43 PM

Everything I'm seeing tonight has that game locked down for Saturday. The only "either/or" games are the 9 Tuesday/Wednesday games. The two Big Monday games are also locked down.

The ACC schedule looks *stunningly* normal to me...as if COVID doesn't exist. There had been talk of mini-bubbles or back-to-back games to reduce travel, but apparently all of that is out the window. Home-and-homes with Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame shows there was no attempt to stay at all local either...

rsvman
11-10-2020, 11:19 PM
I just want to know when the first few games are, so I can at least watch a little bit of college basketball, just in case the season falls apart at some point.

Obviously I hope it doesn't, but.....

Troublemaker
11-11-2020, 02:12 PM
I think it would be fun to do a Pick-em contest before anyone plays a game. Just to see where the resident experts put all 15. Let it simmer for a few months and check again after the season. Anyone up for it?

I'm down for that, and more importantly, I hope there is a Degenerates league in our future.

TywinBlue
11-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but experts are saying a Second COVID wave will hit before this year is out.

The absence of last year's ACC and NCAA Tournaments left a huge mental and emotional hole for many of us.

I can not contemplate what adding the absence of an ACC schedule in 2021 would do to many of us.

Let's take it week to week and month to month and hope for the best.

uh_no
11-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but experts are saying a Second COVID wave will hit before this year is out.

The absence of last year's ACC and NCAA Tournaments left a huge mental and emotional hole for many of us.

I can not contemplate what adding the absence of an ACC schedule in 2021 would do to many of us.

second covid wave?

LOL

the country has been in the middle of a massive third wave since the middle of september....

Troublemaker
11-11-2020, 03:04 PM

I mean, are you therefore also skeptical that NCAA football will finish its season? Pro sports?

It just seems like if there's money to be made, money will get made. Pretty confident we'll have an MBB season.

rsvman
11-11-2020, 03:27 PM
I mean, are you therefore also skeptical that NCAA football will finish its season? Pro sports?

It just seems like if there's money to be made, money will get made. Pretty confident we'll have an MBB season.

Oh, they will START a season, to be sure........................

Nugget
11-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Oh, they will START a season, to be sure............

I'd say it's also a mortal lock that they end the season with an NCAA tournament. That's where all the money in the sport is (and it's desperately needed after the 2020 cancelation).

They should be able to pull off without too much difficulty a covid bubble or bubbles with common testing protocols that the NCAA would pay for (making it look more like the NBA's and less the ****-show of the ad-hoc one ESPN tried to put together) for the NCAA Tournament.

I don't think we'll see anything like a blemish-free regular season. But, I don't see anything stopping them from having an NCAA Tournament they can put on tv.

uh_no
11-11-2020, 07:27 PM
I'd say it's also a mortal lock that they end the season with an NCAA tournament. That's where all the money in the NCAA is

Fixed that for you. It's about more than bball for the ncaa

Tappan Zee Devil
11-11-2020, 08:15 PM
I'd say it's also a mortal lock that they end the season with an NCAA tournament. That's where all the money in the sport is (and it's desperately needed after the 2020 cancelation).

They should be able to pull off without too much difficulty a covid bubble or bubbles with common testing protocols that the NCAA would pay for (making it look more like the NBA's and less the ****-show of the ad-hoc one ESPN tried to put together) for the NCAA Tournament.

I don't think we'll see anything like a blemish-free regular season. But, I don't see anything stopping them from having an NCAA Tournament they can put on tv.

And how does a bubble and isolating players coexist with the fact that classes are still going.
It's not a good visual.
At least now there is the fiction that teams can go home and attend class in the days between playoff rounds

CrazyNotCrazie
11-11-2020, 08:34 PM
And how does a bubble and isolating players coexist with the fact that classes are still going.
It's not a good visual.
At least now there is the fiction that teams can go home and attend class in the days between playoff rounds

How many schools are doing in person classes anyway? So does it matter if the Duke players are zooming from the Wash Duke or a hotel 2,000 miles away? Also, if they do a regular format, 75% of the teams are done the first weekend. So the number of players being seriously impacted isn’t as bad as it seems.

I agree with your overall premise that the term student-athlete is a joke, but from a missing classes perspective, it actually isn’t that bad.

uh_no
11-11-2020, 08:46 PM
]And how does a bubble and isolating players coexist with the fact that classes are still going.[/B]
It's not a good visual.

given that 50% of duke's students aren't on campus at all, and our neighbors in the triangle failed to keep anyone on campus, I assume the players would be plenty able to join their colleagues in attending lessons remotely.

aivroadstr
11-16-2020, 11:44 PM
I know last month Coach K said they were still going to try and do something “special” for Countdown. Obviously it would be way different from years past but does anyone have any insight to whether or not they are going to do something (virtual, player intros, etc)?

pfrduke
11-16-2020, 11:50 PM
I know last month Coach K said they were still going to try and do something “special” for Countdown. Obviously it would be way different from years past but does anyone have any insight to whether or not they are going to do something (virtual, player intros, etc)?

Countdown The Movie is supposed to have public release on Friday: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1328419115762147329

Troublemaker
11-17-2020, 07:21 AM

Yup, that's where I'm at with this, too.

I really like GaTech's backcourt, too, but they're going to really miss James Banks (All-ACC defense) in the middle. He's been a key to their stingy, weird zone and also their m2m when they run it. I don't think shifting Moses Wright from PF to C is going to work, so they'll need a rim-protecting center to emerge from somewhere.

Bluedog
11-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Are the metric geeks/NCAA still planning to take into consideration "road games" this year? I guess we'll see if there's really a home court advantage without fans. I suppose it's possible some schools will allow some fans like we've seen in football though.

gofurman
11-17-2020, 08:53 AM
QUESTION - are different ACC teams playing a different amount of ACC conference games???!?!? I look at the schedules on ESPN and Duke has 12(I think) and Clemson has only 10 - something like that. Pitt also looks to have 10 ACC games... UNC looks to have 13 conference games.

*Are different teams in the league playing a different number of games? That would be crazy (not counting COVID alterations). Or have they not finalized the schedules?

DavidBenAkiva
11-17-2020, 09:05 AM
QUESTION - are different ACC teams playing a different amount of ACC conference games???!?!? I look at the schedules on ESPN and Duke has 12(I think) and Clemson has only 10 - something like that. Pitt also looks to have 10 ACC games... UNC looks to have 13 conference games.

*Are different teams in the league playing a different number of games? That would be crazy (not counting COVID alterations). Or have they not finalized the schedules?

I wouldn't trust the ESPN schedules. The ACC announced conference schedules and every team is playing 20 conference games. What might be happening is a reflection of the way the ACC announced the schedules. They had several matchups listed with multiple dates, like Duke vs. UNC on 3/5-6. It's not clear which date the game will take place right now. We just know that it will be one of those two days. My guess is that ESPN didn't enter matchups where the ACC provided two possible dates.

uh_no
11-17-2020, 09:27 AM
Are the metric geeks/NCAA still planning to take into consideration "road games" this year? I guess we'll see if there's really a home court advantage without fans. I suppose it's possible some schools will allow some fans like we've seen in football though.

I think the nerds will be very interested to see how the lack of fans impacts home court advantage.

SlapTheFloor
11-17-2020, 10:37 AM
How does everyone feel about the decision to play the upcoming basketball season? I'm on the fence about whether to watch: On one hand, I would dearly love to see some games. On the other hand, sending kids out to play a contact sport in the midst of a pandemic feels a bit exploitive. Or a bit more exploitive than normal. I'm not sure I want to be complicit in that decision.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2020, 11:26 AM
How does everyone feel about the decision to play the upcoming basketball season? I'm on the fence about whether to watch: On one hand, I would dearly love to see some games. On the other hand, sending kids out to play a contact sport in the midst of a pandemic feels a bit exploitive. Or a bit more exploitive than normal. I'm not sure I want to be complicit in that decision.

I'll watch, but I think it's incredibly selfish, stupid, greedy, money grubbing at the risk of health to both players and staff, and could have long term affect to some elite athletes.
But I'll watch. At least 'til someone comes to their senses and/or is forced to shut it all down.

Bluedog
11-17-2020, 12:04 PM

I'll watch, but I think it's incredibly selfish, stupid, greedy, money grubbing at the risk of health to both players and staff, and could have long term affect to some elite athletes.
But I'll watch. At least 'til someone comes to their senses and/or is forced to shut it all down.

To be fair, the players can choose to sit out and still get their scholarships and an extra year of eligibility. By and large, the VAST majority of players WANT to play. In fact, in my state, many families are upending their households to move states so their HIGH SCHOOLERS can play football or basketball in other states (given it's not allowed in my state -- that rule for some reason doesn't apply to colleges or pros for some reason). Not saying your point is invalid completely, but if you took a survey of Duke basketball players as an example, I would assume there'd be an overwhelming consensus of "want to play" particularly given they're isolating themselves anyway. They live for this and I think at least Duke is trying to create as safe an environment as possible although certainly there is a non-zero risk. Like what we saw in football there'd be protests if it got shut down...So, can't please everybody and these guys would rather play, have access to great facilities/coaches/training than be remote schooled at home and fend for themselves because they'd be training and playing pickup games regardless, I guarantee it. Some football players at certain schools have chosen to sit out the season. Basketball players have that option as well should they so choose.

Troublemaker
11-17-2020, 12:09 PM

I think the nerds will be very interested to see how the lack of fans impacts home court advantage.

Definitely. I've always hypothesized that, in basketball, most of the home advantage is in things like being able to shoot in familiar surroundings (since teams also practice on their homecourt) and not having to deal with the hassle of travel. So, I wouldn't expect a huge effect. Kenpom estimates average homecourt advantage to be 3.1 points typically, so I would expect the advantage this season to be no less than 2 points still, and I'll be very interested in seeing if I'm right.

We'll see, though. In the NFL, there's been a pretty huge difference. Homefield advantage in the NFL is also typically about 3 points, and this season the data nerds are estimating it to be about 1 to 1.5 points (so at least cut in half). I think that has to do with snap counts, though. In football, a loud crowd really does have a more direct effect on the game (as opposed to merely energizing/motivating the home players). A loud crowd can cause the opposing team's offense to be slower off the snap (and occasionally move them back five yards via false starts).

I'm fine with it. I suspect the vast majority of players and coaches want to play, and I believe they'll do it safely in their bubbles.

CameronBornAndBred
11-17-2020, 12:10 PM
To be fair, the players can choose to sit out and still get their scholarships and an extra year of eligibility. By and large, the VAST majority of players WANT to play. In fact, in my state, many families are upending their households to move states so their HIGH SCHOOLERS can play football or basketball in other states (given it's not allowed in my state -- that rule for some reason doesn't apply to colleges or pros for some reason). Not saying your point is invalid completely, but if you took a survey of Duke basketball players as an example, I would assume there'd be an overwhelming consensus of "want to play" particularly given they're isolating themselves anyway. They live for this and I think at least Duke is trying to create as safe an environment as possible although certainly there is a non-zero risk. Like what we saw in football there'd be protests if it got shut down...So, can't please everybody and these guys would rather play, have access to great facilities/coaches/training than be remote schooled at home and fend for themselves because they'd be training and playing pickup games regardless, I guarantee it. Some football players at certain schools have chosen to sit out the season. Basketball players have that option as well should they so choose.

Of course they want to. I used to want to (and did) drive my Huffy down my steep driveway off an equally steep ramp at the bottom.
And, of course, I wasn't looking at a one year stint to make my name before I left for the Pro Huffy Jumping League.

Bluedog
11-17-2020, 12:17 PM
Definitely. I've always hypothesized that, in basketball, most of the home advantage is in things like being able to shoot in familiar surroundings (since teams also practice on their homecourt) and not having to deal with the hassle of travel. So, I wouldn't expect a huge effect. Kenpom estimates average homecourt advantage to be 3.1 points typically, so I would expect the advantage this season to be no less than 2 points still, and I'll be very interested in seeing if I'm right.

We'll see, though. In the NFL, there's been a pretty huge difference. Homefield advantage in the NFL is also typically about 3 points, and this season the data nerds are estimating it to be about 1 to 1.5 points (so at least cut in half). I think that has to do with snap counts, though. In football, a loud crowd really does have a more direct effect on the game (as opposed to merely energizing/motivating the home players). A loud crowd can cause the opposing team's offense to be slower off the snap (and occasionally move them back five yards via false starts).

I'm fine with it. I suspect the vast majority of players and coaches want to play, and I believe they'll do it safely in their bubbles.

Are you saying homecourt vs. neutral? I don't think basketball and football homecourts advantages are the same. I thought basketball was double and there was about a 7-point swing from one arena to the other. In other words, two equally matched teams would be 3.5 pt favorite on their home court (7 point difference depending on who gets home-court).

This seems to show 3.7 points for Duke:
https://kenpom.com/blog/mining-point-spread-data-home-court-advantage/

I personally think homecourt is mostly impacted by fans and the refs who are unconciously influenced by the fans, as officiating can have a pretty huge impact in basketball, less so in football. The travel/familiar sightlines could be a factor, but don't think it's a big one... I guess we'll see.

Bluedog
11-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Of course they want to. I used to want to (and did) drive my Huffy down my steep driveway off an equally steep ramp at the bottom.
And, of course, I wasn't looking at a one year stint to make my name before I left for the Pro Huffy Jumping League.

I hear ya. I guess my point is that if someone said you can't drive your Huffy down your steep driveway, you might find ANOTHER place to do it. So, just moving the risk to someplace else and possibly increasing it. And, yes, these guys will do that as well, finding another place to play basketball which may or may not be safer than the current situation. I'd argue probably less safe. These Duke guys in particular are really contained right now, but of course with case counts going up everywhere and as we get more interaction with other teams, the risks of exposure are increasing....and I expect many games will be postponed/canceled.

rsvman
11-17-2020, 12:24 PM

I guess I don't fully understand your thinking here. Mine is like this: They didn't ask me for my opinion about whether they should play basketball. They are going to play the game whether I watch it or not. I want to watch some college basketball. Therefore, if they play the games, I will watch.

I know that on another level, if everybody said they wouldn't watch even if they played, they would not play the games, but that's living at a theoretical level and I'm living my actual life at a practical level when it comes to this.

uh_no
11-17-2020, 12:28 PM

Yeah there are tons of factors, the visuals, the feel of the ball/court, travel, fans, fans impact on refs. Generally would be very difficult to isolate any of them, but we'll have a golden opportunity this year.

Troublemaker
11-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Are you saying homecourt vs. neutral? I don't think basketball and football homecourts advantages are the same. I thought basketball was double and there was about a 7-point swing from one arena to the other. In other words, two equally matched teams would be 3.5 pt favorite on their home court (7 point difference depending on who gets home-court).

This seems to show 3.7 points for Duke:
https://kenpom.com/blog/mining-point-spread-data-home-court-advantage/

Duke is above the median, though. I'm looking at kenpom's subscriber page for HCA here: https://kenpom.com/hca.php

Duke's HCA is 3.6 points, which ranks 71st in the country. The median team (i.e. ranked 177th) is UVA at 3.1 points.

FYI, Sagarin had home advantage as 3.2 points last season: http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

I personally think homecourt is mostly impacted by fans and the refs who are unconciously influenced by the fans, as officiating can have a pretty huge impact in basketball, less so in football. The travel/familiar sightlines could be a factor, but don't think it's a big one... I guess we'll see.

Yeah, we obviously disagree about this. Will be fun to see who's right!

Bluedog
11-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Yeah there are tons of factors, the visuals, the feel of the ball/court, travel, fans, fans impact on refs. Generally would be very difficult to isolate any of them, but we'll have a golden opportunity this year.

Except I bet several schools will allow students to be in the stadium like they have for football...Of the 15 ACC schools, 10 have allowed a limited number of fans in the stadium. 2 have allowed family members. And 3 have allowed none (Duke, BC, Syracuse). Hmm, what do those three have in common? And the only other ACC-member private (WF), has the smallest cap at 2,200 fans. (I recognize ND too is a private...). Interesting to see the huge public vs. private divide on that philosophy. Incidentally, the largest fanbases are allowed at FSU (25%, nearly 20,000) and Clemson (23% or 19,000). Ga Tech, Louisville, ND, Miami are close behind at 20%.

sagegrouse
11-17-2020, 01:13 PM

IMHO (where the H got jailed for a drug offense), there is no case NOT to play, certainly from Duke's perspective. Duke students are basically healthy with very few COVID cases (https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/) -- 14 active cases among nearly 16,000 students. 94 in precautionary quarantine. Everyone connected with the team and the opponents have been tested. Other schools have much worse statistics, but the ACC has very strong testing and distancing guidelines.

Let me ask you -- who not play basketball? There is no evident health risk. Certainly no higher than the student body experiences -- or the players would experience as members of the student body and not playing intercollegiate athletics. This is the test it seems the ACC is applying.

I am looking forward to the season -- I have had hardly had any time to identify the new players on the team.

Phredd3
11-17-2020, 01:19 PM
Except I bet several schools will allow students to be in the stadium like they have for football...Of the 15 ACC schools, 10 have allowed a limited number of fans in the stadium. 2 have allowed family members. And 3 have allowed none (Duke, BC, Syracuse). Hmm, what do those three have in common? And the only other ACC-member private (WF), has the smallest cap at 2,200 fans. (I recognize ND too is a private...). Interesting to see the huge public vs. private divide on that philosophy. Incidentally, the largest fanbases are allowed at FSU (25%, nearly 20,000) and Clemson (23% or 19,000). Ga Tech, Louisville, ND, Miami are close behind at 20%.

There's an enormous difference between allowing fans at an outdoor stadium and allowing them in a relatively small indoor arena. Even at 20% occupancy, that's multiple thousands of people in a single (admittedly, very large) room. I agree that I think some schools are going to do this if they are allowed to, though. I wonder if the NCAA has had discussions about that, or if the visiting team gets any say in the matter.

-jk
11-17-2020, 02:01 PM

Those days were great!

Now we call it mountain biking. ;) No mask needed in the woods!

-jk

MChambers
11-17-2020, 04:57 PM

What about officiating? I thought studies showed that the home team gets more close calls, and I assume the crowd reaction has something to do with that. With no crowd, maybe the officiating is more even.

SlapTheFloor
11-17-2020, 06:00 PM
IMHO (where the H got jailed for a drug offense), there is no case NOT to play, certainly from Duke's perspective. Duke students are basically healthy with very few COVID cases (https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/) -- 14 active cases among nearly 16,000 students. 94 in precautionary quarantine. Everyone connected with the team and the opponents have been tested. Other schools have much worse statistics, but the ACC has very strong testing and distancing guidelines.

Let me ask you -- who not play basketball? There is no evident health risk. Certainly no higher than the student body experiences -- or the players would experience as members of the student body and not playing intercollegiate athletics. This is the test it seems the ACC is applying.

I am looking forward to the season -- I have had hardly had any time to identify the new players on the team.

I will disagree with that part of the statement. Even if the numbers at Duke are low, there have been outbreaks at other schools. And at the point where you're playing those other schools, you can't be certain you won't catch coronavirus. And, while young people fare better than older ones, there is still a possibility of hospitalization, and the long-term health risks from infection aren't clearly known. I will concede what someone said earlier in the thread: the players do have a choice. They could sit out this year if they don't feel it's safe. Out of curiosity, outside of the players and coaches, have measures been taken to protect the rest of the athletics staff?

Phredd3
11-17-2020, 06:26 PM
I will concede what someone said earlier in the thread: the players do have a choice. They could sit out this year if they don't feel it's safe.

The NBA values youth in draft picks. Is it really a realistic option for a top-tier player (i.e. a potential draftee or even G-leaguer) to sit out a year? It seems to me that this puts a currently unpaid player in the awkward position of either having to give up a substantial amount of expected earnings, or alternatively accepting the risk for, and earning millions on behalf of, the school he plays for. Technically, of course, it's a choice. But it is not an easy situation to foist onto someone barely of legal contracting age.

Not that this is entirely the fault of the schools. COVID is putting a lot of people in unpleasant situations. There are plenty of "essential workers" that realistically don't have good alternatives, either. But sitting out a year is a tough call for anyone who seriously expects their life's earnings to be made on the basketball court.

Troublemaker
11-17-2020, 08:21 PM
The NBA values youth in draft picks. Is it really a realistic option for a top-tier player (i.e. a potential draftee or even G-leaguer) to sit out a year? It seems to me that this puts a currently unpaid player in the awkward position of either having to give up a substantial amount of expected earnings, or alternatively accepting the risk for, and earning millions on behalf of, the school he plays for. Technically, of course, it's a choice. But it is not an easy situation to foist onto someone barely of legal contracting age.

Not that this is entirely the fault of the schools. COVID is putting a lot of people in unpleasant situations. There are plenty of "essential workers" that realistically don't have good alternatives, either. But sitting out a year is a tough call for anyone who seriously expects their life's earnings to be made on the basketball court.

What am I missing here? Do players get younger if they play instead of sitting out? No matter what -- if you play or if you sit out -- you're eligible for the draft if you're one year removed from high school.

Phredd3
11-18-2020, 09:07 AM
What am I missing here? Do players get younger if they play instead of sitting out? No matter what -- if you play or if you sit out -- you're eligible for the draft if you're one year removed from high school.

But you aren't showcasing skills and getting better if you sit out. Youth is valued because the younger you are, the more you can still improve, which you aren't doing from quarantine.

Troublemaker
11-18-2020, 11:44 AM
But you aren't showcasing skills and getting better if you sit out. Youth is valued because the younger you are, the more you can still improve, which you aren't doing from quarantine.

Okay, I can kind of see what you're saying, but I really don't think many players (any player?) are thinking about it in those terms. I think it's as simple as "players want to ball."

pfrduke
11-18-2020, 04:03 PM
Michigan State game officially set for 7:30 ET on 12/1, broadcast on ESPN.

hallcity
11-18-2020, 04:31 PM
Michigan State game officially set for 7:30 ET on 12/1, broadcast on ESPN.

BTW, as part of the deal to play this game at Cameron this year, Duke has agreed to play at MSU next year (https://t.co/wXBgVglfRO?amp=1). That game next year may or may not be part of the ACC-B1G Challenge.

UrinalCake
11-18-2020, 04:39 PM
BTW, as part of the deal to play this game at Cameron this year, Duke has agreed to play at MSU next year (https://t.co/wXBgVglfRO?amp=1). That game next year may or may not be part of the ACC-B1G Challenge.

Life, death, taxes, and Duke playing MSU.

BandAlum83
11-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Where can I find the TV schedule? I'm trying to figure out if I need to give in and get an ACCN subscription. Its still not available on Comcast/Xfinity

-jk
11-22-2020, 04:48 PM
Where can I find the TV schedule? I'm trying to figure out if I need to give in and get an ACCN subscription. Its still not available on Comcast/Xfinity

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

A whole lotta TBAs.

-jk

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2020, 04:48 PM

Check out the goduke.com schedule: https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

A lot of the non-conference games will be on ACCN.

SavDukeGrad
11-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Originally, I was slightly disappointed in Duke’s weak non-conference schedule (except MSU & Illinois), and the fact that we aren’t playing more marquee matchups or in any of the tournaments. But the more cancellations that happen, and the more teams that withdraw from the tournaments, Duke is looking smarter and smarter imo; keeping all games we can at home where we can control the Covid situation as much as possible. I just hope the teams that come to Cameron are as closely monitored as our guys.

hallcity
11-24-2020, 11:39 AM
The ACC has released an updated composite schedule (https://theacc.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball). It doesn't give the times of most games but, at least we have the dates. Also, this year's ACC Tournament has been moved to Greensboro (https://t.co/W5omhTSu9C?amp=1). It certainly hasn't been announced but I can imagine the possibility of allowing fans who have already been vaccinated by then to attend. Ticketmaster has been working on a plan to handle this (https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/ticketmaster-to-require-proof-of-vaccine-or-negative-covid-test/ar-BB1aVnzE) sort of thing.

UrinalCake
11-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Also, this year's ACC Tournament has been moved to Greensboro.

Gary Williams is going to be so mad...

DavidBenAkiva
11-26-2020, 12:05 PM
Jon Rothstein is reporting that Bellarmine is set to come out of quarantine on 12/1 and is on target to make their season debut at Duke on Dece,ber 4th as planned.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1332005983850213381

rsvman
11-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Gary Williams is going to be so mad...

He might as well be in Alaska!

BlueDevil2K
11-28-2020, 02:45 PM
Not sure when it was updated, but it appears that all of the Tuesday/Wednesday games on the schedule have been updated to either Tuesday or Wednesday on goduke.com...

DavidBenAkiva
12-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Duke's opponent for Sunday, Elon, has announced it has gone on pause due to a positive case of COVID-19 among its Tier 1 personnel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoKse1LXIAIGvyU?format=jpg&name=large

Elon was scheduled to play UNC on 12/12 as well, as well as to travel to Washington, DC to face Howard as part of the Duke MTE. I wonder if Howard can switch its game against Bellarmine to Tuesday and to come down to Durham to play Duke on Sunday instead.

jimsumner
12-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Duke's opponent for Sunday, Elon, has announced it has gone on pause due to a positive case of COVID-19 among its Tier 1 personnel.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoKse1LXIAIGvyU?format=jpg&name=large

Elon was scheduled to play UNC on 12/12 as well, as well as to travel to Washington, DC to face Howard as part of the Duke MTE. I wonder if Howard can switch its game against Bellarmine to Tuesday and to come down to Durham to play Duke on Sunday instead.

In normal times K has been disinclined to play his former players. Of course, these aren't normal times.

UrinalCake
12-01-2020, 04:16 PM
Makur Maker has been shut down due to injuries, so a matchup against Howard would lose some of its value. But still, we need all the court time we can get.