PDA

View Full Version : Huge honor for Nolan Smith

JasonEvans
09-17-2020, 11:48 AM
https://goduke.com/news/2020/9/17/mens-basketball-nolan-smith-named-points-of-light-inspiration-honoree.aspx

Duke men's basketball director of operations and player development Nolan Smith has been named a George H.W. Bush Points of Light Inspiration honoree in recognition of his activism and community outreach efforts during the recent social justice movement.

Smith and his fellow honorees will be recognized at the Points of Light Awards Celebration on Saturday, Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. EST. The awards ceremony, which can be viewed this year via a live stream experience, will honor extraordinary individuals who demonstrate the traits of the 41st president – integrity, empathy, respect, optimism, conviction in the face of opposition and belief in the power of the human spirit.

"This is such an incredible honor for Nolan, and absolutely well deserved," Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He is a beautiful human being. We are so lucky to have him here at Duke and in the city of Durham. Nolan's amazing work in our community goes well beyond the last few months. He has spent his life using his platform to selflessly serve others, to promote positive racial and social change and advocate for those that are less fortunate. His nickname is 'The People's Champ' and there is no better way to describe him."

https://goduke.com/images/2020/8/27/NolanSmith.jpg?width=1440&quality=80&format=jpg

Furniture
09-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Brilliant!!

DukieInKansas
09-17-2020, 12:43 PM
What an amazing man! Keep the faith, Mr. Smith, and continue to educate and work toward justice for all.

moonpie23
09-17-2020, 03:19 PM
congrats, nolan...

Lord Ash
09-17-2020, 03:46 PM
I am not sure if there is a Duke guy I am more proud of than Nolan.

Such an amazing rep for our university, not just ON the court, but off it as well.

So this might sound silly, but there was one moment I remember very well...

You guys remember "Draw me in my ice?"

Okay, not only was it hysterical, it was also daring and boundary-pushing in a way that young male athletes simply don't do.

That, to me, was both ridiculous but also a great symbol of Nolan's willingness to bend and confront the norms and expectations of others.

Great Dukie.

jv001
09-17-2020, 05:03 PM
Congratulations Nolan. You deserve the award. GoDuke!

mdj
09-17-2020, 09:56 PM
I am not sure if there is a Duke guy I am more proud of than Nolan.

Such an amazing rep for our university, not just ON the court, but off it as well.

So this might sound silly, but there was one moment I remember very well...

You guys remember "Draw me in my ice?"

Okay, not only was it hysterical, it was also daring and boundary-pushing in a way that young male athletes simply don't do.

That, to me, was both ridiculous but also a great symbol of Nolan's willingness to bend and confront the norms and expectations of others.

Great Dukie.

I don’t know this story and I’d like to hear it. A quick google search revealed nothing but an old discussion in a chat room that was a reminder of how unbearably obnoxious Maryland fans were. Anyone care to share it?

Lord Ash
09-18-2020, 01:52 PM
I don’t know this story and I’d like to hear it. A quick google search revealed nothing but an old discussion in a chat room that was a reminder of how unbearably obnoxious Maryland fans were. Anyone care to share it?

So, at Countdown to Craziness a bunch of years ago, they did a prepare video with the Duke Improv Comedy team and the basketball team.

One of the skits was Dre and Nolan doing a take off on that scene in Titanic, where Leo draws whatsherface naked.

So Dre was the Leo part, and Nolan was the girl, and he asked Dre to draw him in his ice, and only his ice, followed by the suggestion of a naked Nolan Smith lying there wearing only his jewelry.

It was JAW DROPPING at the time (and some people thought very funny) but also, when you took a step back and looked at it, a REALLY unusual move for a young male athlete to take, and especially (IMHO) an African American one.... and a move that only Nolan would have ever tried to pull off.

So that's it. It always stuck out, to me, as a sign of Nolan being a bit more... well, "daring" isn't the word, but whatever... than so many young men.

revmel53
09-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Am so proud of Nolan... He's the real deal... As a player, during Kyrie's absence, he led Duke back to being a dominating team... but then Kyrie came back... and no one knew what to do! As a person, it's obvious he is exemplary! And as a leader and coach... Wow!

BlueDevil2K
09-18-2020, 09:12 PM

https://youtu.be/jlCIRXVJkv4