PDA

View Full Version : How can one be sure?

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Does anybody have tips on how to be sure you are giving tickets to a true blule Duke fan when offering here online? The folks around our seats would really give me a hard time the next game if I ever gave 'em up to the opposition.:eek:

Love, Ima

JasonEvans
11-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Does anybody have tips on how to be sure you are giving tickets to a true blule Duke fan when offering here online? The folks around our seats would really give me a hard time the next game if I ever gave 'em up to the opposition.:eek:

Ask them to answer a couple simple questions--

Did you go to Duke? If so, when? If not, how did you come to be a Duke fan? When did it happen?

Based on those answers, it should be easy to ask a followup question or two to quickly verify the answers. Get a phone number so you can ask the questions in real-time, not over the internet where they can go on-line to figure out the answer.

My favorite ploy is to ask if they went to Duke and when they say yes, simply ask them where they lived each year they were in school. A former student can answer this without hesitation and their answer would make sense. A liar is always tripped up by this. There are a million other questions that a true Duke fan has no trouble answering that are hard for a non-Dukie.

-Jason

Lavabe
11-11-2007, 08:11 AM
My favorite ploy is to ask if they went to Duke and when they say yes, simply ask them where they lived each year they were in school. A former student can answer this without hesitation and their answer would make sense. -Jason

I'd avoid the "where did you live" question. I lived in Stonehenge, but that name died off a while ago. Is there an Animal Quad? Frankly, I can't keep up with the newer buildings.

How about asking what they think of the journalism or communications departments?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I'd avoid the "where did you live" question. I lived in Stonehenge, but that name died off a while ago. Is there an Animal Quad? Frankly, I can't keep up with the newer buildings.

How about asking what they think of the journalism or communications departments?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

I think "where did you live" is a reasonable question to ask, especially for someone who's been around a while, as most ticket holders have been. And if they said they lived off campus as a freshman they are probably lying, as there was only one person in my entering class (1972), who did, and I would guess others in that situation may have also, but it would be a specific, obvious answer. Actually, I can think of a second specific reason why a freshman would live off campus, but at Duke that is most rare. And no, attending Duke while on a "work release" program is NOT an acceptable answer ;)

If I was not familiar with Stonehenge (or Lancaster, or Mirecourt, etc., I might ask what quad, or what house it was to verify the validity.

YmoBeThere
11-11-2007, 09:13 AM
simply ask them where they lived each year they were in school.

Don't let them see my signature before you ask...

ohioguy2
11-11-2007, 09:21 AM
A good question--I am not a Duke graduate, our son is--I have been an avid Duke fan since his arrival on campus a dozen years or so ago--I certainly do not remember where he lived (at least the name). I will be trying to obtain tickets for the Miami game--I have women's season tickets and would love to see the men while we are in town. If you asked for the names of my college dorms, the answer which includes Hepburn and McFarland would probably confuse most people.:confused:

JasonEvans
11-11-2007, 10:25 AM
A good question--I am not a Duke graduate, our son is--I have been an avid Duke fan since his arrival on campus a dozen years or so ago--I certainly do not remember where he lived (at least the name). I will be trying to obtain tickets for the Miami game--I have women's season tickets and would love to see the men while we are in town. If you asked for the names of my college dorms, the answer which includes Hepburn and McFarland would probably confuse most people.:confused:

I am not saying that knowing the names of dorms is some pre-requisite to being a Duke fan. But there are other ways of figuring out if someone is a Duke fan or an imposter from another school. In your case I might ask if you knew the names of any of the son's professors or if you could recall how Duke had done his senior year (what year did he graduate). I might ask if you attended his graduation and, if so, where the ceremonies were held or what hotel you stayed in when you came to graduation. I might even ask who spoke at the graduation. I don't necessarily know the answers to all of these, but the style in which you answered the question would tell me if you were genuine or not.

-Jason "no non-Duke fan would ever get my tickets!!" Evans

ohioguy2
11-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I am not saying that knowing the names of dorms is some pre-requisite to being a Duke fan. But there are other ways of figuring out if someone is a Duke fan or an imposter from another school. In your case I might ask if you knew the names of any of the son's professors or if you could recall how Duke had done his senior year (what year did he graduate). I might ask if you attended his graduation and, if so, where the ceremonies were held or what hotel you stayed in when you came to graduation. I might even ask who spoke at the graduation. I don't necessarily know the answers to all of these, but the style in which you answered the question would tell me if you were genuine or not.

-Jason "no non-Duke fan would ever get my tickets!!" Evans

Fair enough--I could answer those questions (except for the grad speaker--not that I was not paying attention, but it was VERY hot and she was not memorable).

mapei
11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I didn't attend Duke, but I would have a bit of trouble remembering each place I lived as an undergrad at my school!

DU82
11-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Love, Ima

In addition to the other things mentioned, you can check the number of messages sent in the counter in the header (if it's a lot of messages, they are participating on this board, and are more likely to be fans.) You could also ask established posters for people they know who are looking for tickets. I'd be happy (in a private message) to forward you the names/numbers of some local folks who would absolutely love to go to games, and cheer for Duke. (Some don't have any direct association with the university, so they'd probably fail some of the "tests" already mentioned.)

(For the record, the original House CC was my living quarters for all four undergraduate years, and Hanna Grey, president of the University of Chicago (I think) was the graduation speaker in '82.)

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I didn't attend Duke, but I would have a bit of trouble remembering each place I lived as an undergrad at my school!

That memorable, huh? If you had joined a fraternity, or other selective living group, chances are pretty good that your undergrad days would have been far more rewarding on a personal level, and you would have a larger group of life-long friends with which to communicate/see/email/reunion with. Nothing personal against you, mapei, as we don't actually know each other, but I thoroughly enjoyed my undergrad days and (most of) the people I lived with, and seeing them when the opportunity arises, like Friday night when a fraternity brother from San Francisco was on campus for a meeting and the game. He made the effort to let me know he was going to be here and we had drinks and dinner at the Washy Duke before the game.

To get back on topic for this thread, I have no idea who my graduation speaker was. I do remember sitting in Wallace Wade under a very bright, hot sun with a 101F temperature and not passing out from it. My daughter graduated Magna Cum Laud, I graduated with Great Relief!

Carlos
11-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I've always had really good luck with the "if I find out you're a [opposing school] fan I'll hunt you down like a dog and torment you for the rest of your life." Sure, I've had to retain a lawyer or two over some misunderstandings as a result of this, but it's usually quite effective.

devildeac
11-11-2007, 02:11 PM
That memorable, huh? If you had joined a fraternity, or other selective living group, chances are pretty good that your undergrad days would have been far more rewarding on a personal level, and you would have a larger group of life-long friends with which to communicate/see/email/reunion with. Nothing personal against you, mapei, as we don't actually know each other, but I thoroughly enjoyed my undergrad days and (most of) the people I lived with, and seeing them when the opportunity arises, like Friday night when a fraternity brother from San Francisco was on campus for a meeting and the game. He made the effort to let me know he was going to be here and we had drinks and dinner at the Washy Duke before the game.

To get back on topic for this thread, I have no idea who my graduation speaker was. I do remember sitting in Wallace Wade under a very bright, hot sun with a 101F temperature and not passing out from it. My daughter graduated Magna Cum Laud, I graduated with Great Relief!

You always told me you graduated Thank You Laud-y:D

eran
11-11-2007, 02:54 PM
You could always ask for several pictures of the people in Duke outfits.

I've got lots of cute pictures of our kids in the Duke outfits if you want to send tickets my way! ;)

Eran

Cavlaw
11-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I remember where I lived, but, never having lived on West, would be hard pressed to challenge any random quad names that a prospective buyer gave me. Not that I have any tickets to give away...

hurleyfor3
11-11-2007, 07:07 PM
If I was not familiar with Stonehenge (or Lancaster, or Mirecourt, etc., I might ask what quad, or what house it was to verify the validity.

I would think someone from your time would ask not which quad, but which federation.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I would think someone from your time would ask not which quad, but which federation.

I don't want to upset the time-space continuum, but I believe the Federation came before Star Fleet.

In my day, the "new dorms", ie Edens Quad, were Lancaster (where I lived freshman year), York, Mirecourt and, and, and I don't remember the 4th dorm. Anyone know what those dorms are called now, since "new dorms" is 35 years and one WEL out of date?

devildeac
11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't want to upset the time-space continuum, but I believe the Federation came before Star Fleet.

In my day, the "new dorms", ie Edens Quad, were Lancaster (where I lived freshman year), York, Mirecourt and, and, and I don't remember the 4th dorm. Anyone know what those dorms are called now, since "new dorms" is 35 years and one WEL out of date?

a. the 4th dorm was Burton where I lived for 2 years.
b. I do not know what they are called now(even though I just had a child graduate and another is there now as a freshman:o )

merry
11-11-2007, 07:56 PM

I remember when Southgate (then co-ed) tried to federate with Gilbert Addams (then all female). Ha ha! Those were the days.

Exiled_Devil
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
To offer up a couple of other ideas (as a non-alum, but the spouse of a double-Dukie), you could ask when they first became a fan, favorite moments, who were the starters the first year of their fandom.

You could also just give them to me :)

Exiled

DukeUsul
11-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Actually it's pretty easy.... just make sure if you have any extras, give 'em to me!

;-)

A lot of alums I know (at least the younger ones) use Duke Alumni forwarding address (like I do). Asking if they have one and engaging in email communications that way is a real good way to verify Alumni status.

mapei
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM

Hey Oz, my undergrad days were filled with personal growth and wonderful memories. I also moved around a bit with changing circumstances and can't for the life of me remember the name of the off-campus apartment complex I lived in during my senior year, or what street it was on. A couple of the places I lived during the summers are also kinda fuzzy. It was four frikkin' decades ago! I do remember the names of the first, say, three places I lived, one of which has since been torn down. (This was all at Emory, BTW.) I just thought that challenging someone, inquisition-style, to name all of the places s/he lived as an undergrad was going to a ridiculous extreme. As Jason said, there are other ways of figuring out if someone is a real fan or not.

I'd personally rather eat the cost of my Redskins and Hoyas (I went to Georgetown law) tickets than sell them to someone who is going to root against my team, and I'd feel the same way if I had Duke tickets, which, if I lived close enough, I would be desperately trying to get.

Lavabe
11-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I also moved around a bit with changing circumstances and can't for the life of me remember the name of the off-campus apartment complex I lived in during my senior year, or what street it was on. A couple of the places I lived during the summers are also kinda fuzzy. It was four frikkin' decades ago! I do remember the names of the first, say, three places I lived, one of which has since been torn down. (This was all at Emory, BTW.)

Given all the construction going on this year, I have no doubt that where you lived may be gone. Gil-Thom was leveled, and is now a road (beside where they will put up a new Psych building). Psych, the new Ethics Ctr, the two new twin tower dorms, and a bunch of new buildings to boot ... there's a lot going up. Sadly, the BobbyJones water tower was torn down.

FOUR DECADES AGO? :eek: :cool:
Cheers,
Lavabe

mapei
11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I have to say that on a visit there two years ago, I thought they had done a very good job of blending old and new. I wish I could have said the same about downtown Atlanta. I was, of course, delighted to see that Moe's and Joe's is still going strong. ;)

And don't get me started on the whole passage of time thing!

Kimist
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM

Sadly, I also knew the dorms in what is now Edens Quad only by the operative phrase "the new dorms." There were the York/Lancaster competitive "rose" issues. I seem to remember there was also a Taylor dorm, with the comment of the time that "Burton is on top of Taylor" serving as a useful phrase. (I wonder how many people are now going "Say WHAT?!?") :rolleyes:

We can save the memories of trips to AB's for a little fried chicken and/or Q, and the endless hushpuppies, for another day, or perhaps as another "qualifier" question for tickets. Another query that would stump many folks would be "What could you buy at the Dope Shop?"

Best!!

k

OZZIE4DUKE
11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Sadly, I also knew the dorms in what is now Edens Quad onlyAnother query that would stump many folks would be "What could you buy at the Dope Shop?"

Answer: the best jamoca milk shakes ever made. And the burgers weren't too bad either. What was the lady's name who worked there forever?

Of course, I chuckled at your question, wondering what our friend Colchar would answer to that question.....? LOL

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I remember where I lived each year and I didn't have to join a frat to do it.

Actually, I think I can remember 90% of my course schedule for all of Ugrad.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Love, Ima
Ask them the five things they are supposed to do before they graduate. Then ask them how many they really did.

The first will let you know if they went to Duke. However, if they say they did all five, you know they are a liar no matter how they answered the first question.

Edit to add: two dope dogs with cheese was the perfect bench lunch.

DukeDude
11-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Fair enough--I could answer those questions (except for the grad speaker--not that I was not paying attention, but it was VERY hot and she was not memorable).

Sounds like Judy Woodruff.

wilko
11-12-2007, 03:44 PM
As most of you guys and gals are prolly keenly aware, the triangle is a destination. Folks come here for, jobs, schools and all that... the area has its attractions.

Well, I guess Im fairly unique in that Im from here. I was born at the School of Science and Math in its previous incarnation. My Dad and Mom were both from here as well and grew up and went to school in Durham.

It was a right of passage to profess your religion in elementary school. It was either light blue, dark blue or red.... and then you had the occasional freakshow who said ND, UCLA or whatever just for the sake of being different. I was brought up in the traditions of my Dad and uncles. To root for the home team boys and dark blue.

Now since then the area has continued to grow and prosper. Bringing with it bringing in yet more folks with more rooting interests. Cant call them freakshows anymore..

When I tell someone Im a Duke Fan these days... more often than not get the question of when did I graduate, what did I study? ... all that kinda Jazz.

Why cant I just be a fan? Why does some "connection" other than what I've stated HAVE to factor in or exist. Seems I never got the secret handshake to play that off.

I wonder how many people that attend Alabama or Tennesse football games went to school there? I wonder if they get the same kinds of questions about their fanhood. Maybe so, but Im tempted to say no. Its pretty rare to find a Duke fan, I'll admit. Its more rare still to find one for the sake of being a fan.

But it doesnt have to be that way..
I'll be glad to assist with an outreach program. :-)

So heres how we can help each other.. If you have tix you cannot use for whatever commitments or special circumstances that arise. I'll be glad to take them off your hands and give fair compensation and put them in the hands of other "local" Duke fans. I can think of 10 w/o breaking a sweat..

:-)

Oh well, it was worth a try...

merry
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I also moved around a bit with changing circumstances and can't for the life of me remember the name of the off-campus apartment complex I lived in during my senior year, or what street it was on. A couple of the places I lived during the summers are also kinda fuzzy.

Hmm, good thing you never needed a security clearance. Once I applied for one and was told that I had to list every single place I ever lived, even the ones where I lived for a couple of weeks between the end of a summer job and the beginning of a new semester. What a pain.

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I'll be glad to take them off your hands and give fair compensation and put them in the hands of other "local" Duke fans. I can think of 10 w/o breaking a sweat..

:-)

Oh well, it was worth a try...

Well, that's just about what I did with tonight's tickets. We'll be attending my grandson's 17th birthday party so our tickets for tonight went (for free)to a carpenter from Roxboro who has professed his admiration for all things royal blue...a lifelong local fan "just because". Bless his heart.

Love, Ima

captmojo
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, that's just about what I did with tonight's tickets. We'll be attending my grandson's 17th birthday party so our tickets for tonight went (for free)to a carpenter from Roxboro who has professed his admiration for all things royal blue...a lifelong local fan "just because". Bless his heart.

Love, Ima

You're a good soul. Bless your heart.

mapei
11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Hmm, good thing you never needed a security clearance. Once I applied for one and was told that I had to list every single place I ever lived, even the ones where I lived for a couple of weeks between the end of a summer job and the beginning of a new semester. What a pain.

Actually, I did. What's truly unsettling is that they track down your exes and talk to them. I've been on both ends of that one.

gotoguy
11-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Sadly, I also knew the dorms in what is now Edens Quad only by the operative phrase "the new dorms." There were the York/Lancaster competitive "rose" issues. I seem to remember there was also a Taylor dorm, with the comment of the time that "Burton is on top of Taylor" serving as a useful phrase. (I wonder how many people are now going "Say WHAT?!?") :rolleyes:

We can save the memories of trips to AB's for a little fried chicken and/or Q, and the endless hushpuppies, for another day, or perhaps as another "qualifier" question for tickets. Another query that would stump many folks would be "What could you buy at the Dope Shop?"

Best!!

k

I lived in Taylor for three years, rooms 101, 113, and 210. All four floors were originally named Taylor and later I believe they were separated into Burton on top and Taylor on the bottom. It wasn't until I was a soph that I figured out the significance, duhh..., fortunately I was better at my studies.

My favorite Dope Shop ritual was to buy a new issue of Rolling Stone magazine, order a root beer shake and sit down and devour both.

Ultrarunner
11-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Ask them to answer a couple simple questions--

Did you go to Duke? If so, when? If not, how did you come to be a Duke fan? When did it happen?

Based on those answers, it should be easy to ask a followup question or two to quickly verify the answers. Get a phone number so you can ask the questions in real-time, not over the internet where they can go on-line to figure out the answer.

My favorite ploy is to ask if they went to Duke and when they say yes, simply ask them where they lived each year they were in school. A former student can answer this without hesitation and their answer would make sense. A liar is always tripped up by this. There are a million other questions that a true Duke fan has no trouble answering that are hard for a non-Dukie.

-Jason

Interesting tests but it significantly reduces the universe of Duke fans. There are a lot of us out there that didn't go to Duke (heck, I lasted one year at UM - broke my mother's heart when I dropped with a 4.0). Never lived in Durham (passed through a couple of times) and won't.

I have a daughter who is a huge Duke fan, has Duke memorabilia scattered around her room and articles (Dock hitting the winner from half court, Reddick stuff, loved and still follows Duhon) pasted on her wall. When Duke got jobbed by UConn, she was in tears.

The only question that you (collectively) have posed that I would successfully answer would be when I became a Duke fan. 1986. That team had as much or more heart than any other team that has come through Duke. And yes, I can name them. I wonder how many of the grads of the last 10 years could. And why? Because I have tremendous respect for integrity and effort, two words I will always associate with Coach K.

I'm not sure my daughter could give you a difinitive answer. She probably thinks its genetic though that introduces the nature vs nurture debate.:)

But, that probably isn't enough to pass the loyalty tests.

On the plus side, while I may never get courtside, I think the team is on its way to a fun season and I'll enjoy watching. Even from afar.

RelativeWays
11-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I too wish to be subjected to an inquisition for tickets! Whats the secret handshake?

ugadevil
11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I didn't graduate from Duke but I'm proud to say I remember when I became sold on Duke for life. Corey Maggette dunked on Florida and went up and slapped the backboard and got the technical foul for it.

I think I'm showing how young and limited my memory is of Duke basketball. I swear I'm loyal though!:)

Cavlaw
11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Ask them the five things they are supposed to do before they graduate. Then ask them how many they really did.

The first will let you know if they went to Duke. However, if they say they did all five, you know they are a liar no matter how they answered the first question.

Edit to add: two dope dogs with cheese was the perfect bench lunch.
I have no idea what the five things are. Do I lose my degree?

hondoheel
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Just ask them their opinion of coach K. Chances are an imposter wouldn't be able to praise him without the gag reflex kicking in. :D

OldPhiKap
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I have no idea what the five things are. Do I lose my degree?

Sadly, yes. Yes you do.

Sorry.

JasonEvans
11-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting tests but it significantly reduces the universe of Duke fans. There are a lot of us out there that didn't go to Duke.

The only question that you (collectively) have posed that I would successfully answer would be when I became a Duke fan. 1986. That team had as much or more heart than any other team that has come through Duke. And yes, I can name them. I wonder how many of the grads of the last 10 years could. And why? Because I have tremendous respect for integrity and effort, two words I will always associate with Coach K.

I'm not sure my daughter could give you a difinitive answer. She probably thinks its genetic though that introduces the nature vs nurture debate.:)

But, that probably isn't enough to pass the loyalty tests.

I think you and a few other folks are misunderstanding this. It is not about proving that you went to Duke or showing that you have some great knowledge of the team's history. It is merely about figuring out if someone is a Duke fan or a fan of a rival team.

I think the simple: "When did you become a Duke fan?" question followed by one or two very easy follow-ups will tell you all you need.

Now, the amusing thing is that really passionate fans of rival school would probably be able to pass just about any test we came up with. For example, I could easily answer almost any question a Carolina fan asked. Heck, I probably know more Carolina history than the vast majority of posters on IC (though that ain't saying much). I would do similarly well regarding the history of almost any ACC school. If you follow college basketball with some degree of passion, you can probably BS your way through any rudimentary test.

--Jason "just tell a Carolina person you became a fan the moment you saw JR Reid's big ole butt and you'd pass their test" Evans