PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NFL - 2020

Acymetric
09-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Late starting this one, and don't have a complete rundown of what players are rostered where, but Jamison Crowder with a nice 69 yard TD.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1305222966876286976

Caught it at the line of scrimmage, ran though a crowd of defenders and broke loose for the long TD.

(Side note: is it possible to embed Twitter videos like we can with Youtube vids?)

Bob Green
09-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Jamison Crowder with a 69 yard TD reception. He has six receptions for 113 yards and a TD so far today.

Acymetric
09-14-2020, 07:51 PM
This game started out pretty ugly, but that was a beautiful ~40 yard TD pass by Jones to give the Giants the lead.

Bob Green
09-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Great pass by Jones. Giants offensive line giving him time to throw.

Acymetric
09-14-2020, 07:59 PM
Great pass by Jones. Giants offensive line giving him time to throw.

Well, then follows it up with a pick on the next drive.

Bob Green
09-14-2020, 08:00 PM
Well, then follows it up with a pick on the next drive.

That was a great play by Watt.

Acymetric
09-20-2020, 01:48 PM
Daniel Jones having awful day today, and just lost his best offensive weapon.

bundabergdevil
09-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Daniel Jones having awful day today, and just lost his best offensive weapon.

Had them right there at the end to win it though despite all of it.

JasonEvans
09-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Ouch... according to this article someone wagered $500,000 on Daniel Jones to throw over 244.5 yards passing this past weekend. Daniel didn't really come close in a pretty dismal performance by the Giants offense.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/giants-daniel-jones-ruined-two-500000-bets/

Acymetric
09-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Ouch... according to this article someone wagered $500,000 on Daniel Jones to throw over 244.5 yards passing this past weekend. Daniel didn't really come close in a pretty dismal performance by the Giants offense.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/28/giants-daniel-jones-ruined-two-500000-bets/

What!? That is insane. And yes, it is not a banner year for our NFL Dukies this year between Jones' poor performance and Crowder's injury.

chrishoke
10-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Jamison Crowder had an excellent game last night with 7 catches for 104 yards, including a long of 35 yards.

jimsumner
10-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Jamison Crowder had an excellent game last night with 7 catches for 104 yards, including a long of 35 yards.

Crowder might be the best skills-position former Duke player in the NFL since Jurgensen. He's missed two games this season but has 14 catches in the two games he's played. And that's after 78 catches last season. He's also averaging 15.6 yards per catch this season, which would be a career-high if he can sustain it.

duke74
10-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Crowder might be the best skills-position former Duke player in the NFL since Jurgensen. He's missed two games this season but has 14 catches in the two games he's played. And that's after 78 catches last season. He's also averaging 15.6 yards per catch this season, which would be a career-high if he can sustain it.

One of our only bright spots this year. (Yes, I’m one of those “long-suffering” Jets fans. Mets/Jets. Years of misery.)

jimsumner
10-04-2020, 09:15 PM
One of our only bright spots this year. (Yes, I’m one of those “long-suffering” Jets fans. Mets/Jets. Years of misery.)

Are you also a Nets fan? Or is that piling on?

Come to think of it, being a Knicks fan isn't any better.

duke74
10-05-2020, 05:54 AM
Are you also a Nets fan? Or is that piling on?

Come to think of it, being a Knicks fan isn't any better.

Avoided that part of the rhyming team name thing. Always a Knicks fan, although I also liked the ABA Nets. (I’m a Queens boy, so the Mets and Jets made sense. Nets were from Long Island pre-NJ and now Brooklyn.)

DU82
10-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Avoided that part of the rhyming team name thing. Always a Knicks fan, although I also liked the ABA Nets. (I’m a Queens boy, so the Mets and Jets made sense. Nets were from Long Island pre-NJ and now Brooklyn.)

The Nets started play as the New Jersey Americans, playing a mile away from my house in Teaneck, NJ (well, my parents' house, since I was seven.) After the first season, they moved to Long Island and became the Nets.

So it's been NJ-NY-NJ-NY for their home courts over the years.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-05-2020, 04:03 PM
Duke74, I think we talked about this years ago, but I was born in Kew Gardens Hospital and lived in Forest Hills until about the age of 2, when my folks bought a house in Great Neck. Been a Yankee fan since the age of <4. rooted for the Jets, Knicks and Rangers in the late 60's and early 70's when they were all good. My next door neighbor took me to several Jets games (Joe Willie Namath was their QB). I remember listening to the Willis Reed championship game with Marv Albert announcing. Yesssss! Fortunately today, I'm only a Yankee fan, and ain't it great! :cool: Beat the Rays! GTHredsux!

duke74
10-05-2020, 04:58 PM
Duke74, I think we talked about this years ago, but I was born in Kew Gardens Hospital and lived in Forest Hills until about the age of 2, when my folks bought a house in Great Neck. Been a Yankee fan since the age of <4. rooted for the Jets, Knicks and Rangers in the late 60's and early 70's when they were all good. My next door neighbor took me to several Jets games (Joe Willie Namath was their QB). I remember listening to the Willis Reed championship game with Marv Albert announcing. Yesssss! Fortunately today, I'm only a Yankee fan, and ain't it great! :cool: Beat the Rays! GTHredsux!

I think we did. As you see from my profile details, I am still in Forest Hills and have lived there most of my life, after having been raised in Rego Park.

Kew Gardens Hospital was torn down a number of years ago and is now an office building where the Queens district attorney’s office is. That’s where my son works (T’02).

Family was a Jets season ticket holder from the days they moved from the Polo Grounds as the Titans to Shea Stadium. Gave up the tickets when Leon Hess deserted his fan base. He’s probably sweating a lot where he is - along with Walter O’Malley and Horace Stoneham.

Was a Mets season ticket holder up until a year or so ago, at Shea and Citi. Fond memories of 1969 and 1986.

My first year at Duke was interesting, especially speaking to all of the Maryland students. The prior year, the Mets beat the Orioles, the Jets beat the Colts, and the Knicks beat the Bullets. A good year for the metro area.

duke74
10-05-2020, 04:59 PM
The Nets started play as the New Jersey Americans, playing a mile away from my house in Teaneck, NJ (well, my parents' house, since I was seven.) After the first season, they moved to Long Island and became the Nets.

So it's been NJ-NY-NJ-NY for their home courts over the years.

Good point. Forgot the NJ origins.

75Crazie
10-10-2020, 03:08 PM
I would put Steve Jones in the conversation as well, but I also would put Crowder at the top spot of that category. Cedric Jones #3, Dave Brown #4, I can't think of anyone else that qualifies (having more than a cup of coffee). I'm still mad that Ben Bennett did not get a decent look-see (for whatever reason), he was pro caliber in my book.

Here's hoping DJ moves up that list, if he ever gets an O-line and receiving corp to work with.

Acymetric
10-10-2020, 03:12 PM

Who would you rank ahead of him if you didn't limit it to skill players?

WV_Iron_Duke
10-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Who would you rank ahead of him if you didn't limit it to skill players?

My family had season tickets to the Baltimore Colts and Mike Curtis was the real deal. Easily one of the hardest hitters in the NFL. Four time pro bowler. All NFL first team 1968-69. Defensive Player of the Year 1970.

sagegrouse
10-10-2020, 04:22 PM
My family had season tickets to the Baltimore Colts and Mike Curtis was the real deal. Easily one of the hardest hitters in the NFL. Four time pro bowler. All NFL first team 1968-69. Defensive Player of the Year 1970.

Peruse at your leisure (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/duke/index.htm) -- 122 Duke players in the NFL.

First-team all-pro: Ace Parker, George McAfee, Al DeRogatis, Jurgensen, Mike Curtis, DT Chuck Walker, OG Ed Newman.

JasonEvans
10-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Any Giant fans want to weigh in on how DJ is being perceived right now? I know everyone seemed to think he showed great promise as a rookie, though he needed to clean up some of the TOs. Now that we are about 1/4 of the way into his second year, are Giant fans still showing patience?

Acymetric
10-10-2020, 06:32 PM

I always forget Mike Curtis played at Duke. It was (way) before my time, so while I hear his name quite a bit in discussions of all time greats, it is always in the context of his NFL career and the fact that he played at Duke and anything he did while he was there is basically never mentioned (outside this board).

Vincent Rey might get a nod for longevity, although he probably wasn't as talented as Crowder he did start quite a few games for the Bengals over the years. I think it is too soon to say for some of our active offensive linemen.

jimsumner
10-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Bob Matheson, Billy Bryan and Chris Port had long and distinguished NFL careers. Bob Grupp was a pretty good punter. Patrick Mannelly is considered the best long snapper in NFL history. Currently both Laken Tomlinson and Matt Skura are at least at Crowder's level and on much better teams.

DevilHorse
10-11-2020, 08:03 AM
Any Giant fans want to weigh in on how DJ is being perceived right now? I know everyone seemed to think he showed great promise as a rookie, though he needed to clean up some of the TOs. Now that we are about 1/4 of the way into his second year, are Giant fans still showing patience?

Daniel Jones is being given an incomplete. Among the Giant faithful it is recognized that
+ he doesn't have a great corp of receivers (although building some chemistry with Slayton who is a 2nd year like DJ),
+ the offensive line was terrible last year, was overhauled in an attempt to rebuild over the winter with poor initial results.
+ Top Running Back (Saquon Barkley) was ineffective for the brief time he was available before he got injured for the year.
+ the defense has put the offense in the early and often (until last week); not many first downs contributes to wearing down the defense.

The turn-overs are a concern, but then Eli Manning had this tendency early (and often) too.

A recent article in the NY Post expressed some of these same sentiments:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiC-5rlu6zsAhUrc98KHa8tCGoQFjAAegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2020%2F09%2F29%2Fgi ants-ruining-daniel-jones-in-way-young-eli-manning-never-experienced%2F&usg=AOvVaw2m5lEIJoff9pQ-U2r8-2ID

The offense is starting to use Jones' running ability a bit more, in the absence of a talented replacement for Barkley; we'll see how long that lasts should Jones get a tough hit.
Last week the Giants were one play away from their first win, but a poor throw into the end zone was intercepted. If only there was a little more time on the clock, a bigger target, a better throw.. But DJ did recover his own fumble (progress!).
Still a work in progress.

No one is calling for DJ's head. But the Giants need more players and weapons on both sides of the ball. Since DJ didn't start at the beginning of last year, he has started 16 games in his NFL career. So his second year of games really is just starting.

Larry
DevilHorse

Bob Green
10-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Jamison Crowder with 5 receptions for 86 yards and a TD so far today. Jets losing to Cardinals 17-10 with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter.

ice-9
10-11-2020, 03:49 PM
A good parallel to DJ is Dwayne Haskins, who many thought was a way better QB prospect and who vowed to show NY was crazy for taking DJ before him. He's now benched in Washington and likely to be traded at first opportunity.

Bob Green
10-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Crowder finishes the day with 8 receptions for 116 yards and a TD.

chrishoke
10-11-2020, 04:34 PM
Crowder finishes the day with 8 receptions for 116 yards and a TD.

Luv Jamison, but his Jets are boo awful.

JasonEvans
10-11-2020, 04:45 PM
DJ looking as good as he has all season on this opening drive. His mobility is really needed with this lousy offensive line. 3-3 47 yards and some real nice decision-making as the Giants score on an opening drive for the first time all year.

Acymetric
10-11-2020, 06:27 PM
DJ looking as good as he has all season on this opening drive. His mobility is really needed with this lousy offensive line. 3-3 47 yards and some real nice decision-making as the Giants score on an opening drive for the first time all year.

He just had a beautiful TD called back on a bogus PI call.

jimsumner
10-11-2020, 09:13 PM
He just had a beautiful TD called back on a bogus PI call.

I did not like the Giants' play calling at the end of the game. They had time to mix in some runs but basically just left Jones to scramble for his life. Given the Giants defense you just cannot give the ball back to Dallas with any time left on the clock.

Other than that scoop-and-score--a pretty big qualifier--I thought DJ did about as well as he could have given the support he had.

But he has to clean up the fumbles. That has to get fixed.

Acymetric
10-11-2020, 09:54 PM
I did not like the Giants' play calling at the end of the game. They had time to mix in some runs but basically just left Jones to scramble for his life. Given the Giants defense you just cannot give the ball back to Dallas with any time left on the clock.

Other than that scoop-and-score--a pretty big qualifier--I thought DJ did about as well as he could have given the support he had.

But he has to clean up the fumbles. That has to get fixed.

I mean, did we have any good reason to believe Garrett would be a good offensive coordinator?

jv001
10-12-2020, 12:41 PM
A good parallel to DJ is Dwayne Haskins, who many thought was a way better QB prospect and who vowed to show NY was crazy for taking DJ before him. He's now benched in Washington and likely to be traded at first opportunity.

I had a chance to listen to the WFT game on XM Radio yesterday while returning from Myrtle Beach. The WFT radio team mentioned Haskins demotion to 3rd team behind Allen and Smith. They inferred with Haskins being demoted to 3rd team it could be the hand writing on the wall. Not only has his play been bad, there is some question about his attitude. It was great for Alex Smith to return to the field but I was worried about his health. He took some hard hits and seems to be ok. I don't see WFT doing much until they put a better QB and OL on the field.

jimsumner
10-12-2020, 12:53 PM
I had a chance to listen to the WFT game on XM Radio yesterday while returning from Myrtle Beach. The WFT radio team mentioned Haskins demotion to 3rd team behind Allen and Smith. They inferred with Haskins being demoted to 3rd team it could be the hand writing on the wall. Not only has his play been bad, there is some question about his attitude. It was great for Alex Smith to return to the field but I was worried about his health. He took some hard hits and seems to be ok. I don't see WFT doing much until they put a better QB and OL on the field.

Can we add better owner?

But yes, the WFT team is in full rebuild mode. Alex Smith returning to the field is the feel-good story of the NFL season. But you don't rebuild with a 36-year-old QB. Kyle Allen? Perhaps.

rsvman
10-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Can we add better owner?

But yes, the WFT team is in full rebuild mode. Alex Smith returning to the field is the feel-good story of the NFL season. But you don't rebuild with a 36-year-old QB. Kyle Allen? Perhaps.

As a long-suffering fan, I don't want to feel good, I want to win a stinking game!

jimsumner
10-12-2020, 07:12 PM
As a long-suffering fan, I don't want to feel good, I want to win a stinking game!

Go 1-15 and maybe Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap. That's a QB you can build around!!

duke74
10-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Go 1-15 and maybe Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap. That's a QB you can build around!!

Unless both NY teams go 0-16, of course. Then we see how much confidence either have in the incumbent. (Darnold was a draft choice of the old regime.)

TampaDuke
10-13-2020, 08:22 AM
In case anyone missed it, Ross Cockrell, who signed to the Tampa Bay Bucs practice squad in late September, was added to TB's active roster this past week (https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2020/10/12/bucs-add-linebacker-chapelle-russell-cornerback-ross-cockrell-to-roster/).

jv001
10-13-2020, 12:55 PM

I would love to see that happen, right after D. Snyder sells the team to new ownership.

arnie
10-13-2020, 01:05 PM
I would love to see that happen, right after D. Snyder sells the team to new ownership.

Don’t you dare get my hopes up.🤐

jimsumner
10-13-2020, 03:24 PM

Can we start a GoFundMe campaign? I can always find some spare change in the couch cushions.

Snyder may not be the worst owner in the major-North-America-Sports-League-Universe but he's got to be on anybody's short list.

DU82
10-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Can we start a GoFundMe campaign? I can always find some spare change in the couch cushions.

Snyder may not be the worst owner in the major-North-America-Sports-League-Universe but he's got to be on anybody's short list.

The Dolans say “hold our beers.”

rsvman
10-13-2020, 10:33 PM

Amen.

Bob Green
10-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Daniel Jones throws a TD pass to Darius Slayton and the Giants take a 10-0 lead over the WFT.

dukie’s_daughter
10-18-2020, 02:44 PM
“Daniel Jones throws a TD pass to Darius Slayton and the Giants take a 10-0 lead over the WFT.“

Go, Daniel!

With the caveat of being a life-long fan of the “Sons of Washington” and a shout-out to hometown hero Logan Thomas...

Does anyone else read WFT as “What The F***”? ( sigh)

Go DUKE!

chrishoke
10-18-2020, 03:15 PM
DJ throws an int in the end zone after a long drive. Still 13-10 Giants.

chrishoke
10-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Now 13-13 with 9 to go in the 4th. It's go time for DJ.

chrishoke
10-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Giants punt after just one first down. Not good.

Bob Green
10-18-2020, 03:40 PM
DJ throws an int in the end zone after a long drive. Still 13-10 Giants.

That INT should have been overturned on review. Fuller’s elbow was first body part to touch the ground and it touched out of bounds.

Acymetric
10-18-2020, 04:07 PM
“Daniel Jones throws a TD pass to Darius Slayton and the Giants take a 10-0 lead over the WFT.“

Go, Daniel!

With the caveat of being a life-long fan of the “Sons of Washington” and a shout-out to hometown hero Logan Thomas...

Does anyone else read WFT as “What The F***”? ( sigh)

Go DUKE!

That's his first TD in like 4 games.

WV_Iron_Duke
10-18-2020, 04:14 PM
In the 1st half Daniel Jones took a qb keeper for a 49 yard run. The fake to the rb was so good it fooled the camera man. Daniel showed good speed.

TKG
10-18-2020, 04:18 PM

His TD-to-INT ratio leaves a bit to be desired...

CameronBornAndBred
10-18-2020, 04:58 PM

No fumbles today, that's good. And the Giants finally (and barely) pull out a victory.

Acymetric
10-18-2020, 05:06 PM

I should pre-emptively clarify that I meant his first passing​ TD.

Acymetric
10-22-2020, 10:24 PM
Ugh! DJ with a great play, but that self tackle is going to get played all week.

jimsumner
10-22-2020, 10:28 PM
Ugh! DJ with a great play, but that self tackle is going to get played all week.

What a weird play. On slo-mo replay he looked like he was in genuine discomfort. Is he that badly conditioned or is he playing with an injury?

WV_Iron_Duke
10-22-2020, 10:30 PM
Jones 80 yard run was the exact same play except to the opposite side of his 49 yard run last week. Longest run ever by a Giants QB.

jimsumner
10-22-2020, 10:36 PM
It's hard to fathom but somebody in the NFC East is going to make the playoffs, hopefully at .500 at a minimum. But a 7-9 or 7-8-1 playoff team seems like a real possibility, maybe even a likelihood.

Acymetric
10-22-2020, 10:45 PM
It's hard to fathom but somebody in the NFC East is going to make the playoffs, hopefully at .500 at a minimum. But a 7-9 or 7-8-1 playoff team seems like a real possibility, maybe even a likelihood.

Something that has happened 4 times (twice in the "modern" NFL):

1982: Browns (4-5), Lions (4-5)

2010: Seahawks (7-9)

2015: Panthers (7-8-1)

I had completely forgotten about the Panthers, even though it was the most recent one. Hard to believe the schedule was only 9 games 40 years ago.

CameronBlue
10-22-2020, 11:15 PM
From ESPN.com: The 80-yard run still was the longest quarterback run since 2015, when Marcus Mariota had an 87-yard scamper against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jones reached a max speed of 21.23 mph, the fastest by a quarterback since 2018.

Acymetric
10-22-2020, 11:36 PM
And the game ends on a DJ sack-fumble (although I wouldn't blame him for this loss).

dukelifer
10-22-2020, 11:41 PM
And the game ends on a DJ sack-fumble (although I wouldn't blame him for this loss).

His receiver let him down on a perfect throw. His defense let him down on that last drive. Just poor execution.

pfrduke
10-23-2020, 12:53 AM

I had completely forgotten about the Panthers, even though it was the most recent one. Hard to believe the schedule was only 9 games 40 years ago.

Pretty sure 1982 was a strike/lockout season, not that the regular schedule was 9 games.

bundabergdevil
10-23-2020, 04:59 AM
His receiver let him down on a perfect throw. His defense let him down on that last drive. Just poor execution.

His other left foot let him down on his might gallop down the field...

....I kid. Tough loss.

heyman25
10-23-2020, 06:44 AM
What a weird play. On slo-mo replay he looked like he was in genuine discomfort. Is he that badly conditioned or is he playing with an injury?

That play by Jones falling down will be played not all week but forever.He will likely be remembered for this play for his entire career.

TKG
10-23-2020, 07:37 AM
That play by Jones falling down will be played not all week but forever.He will likely be remembered for this play for his entire career.

The Giants’ answer to the Mark Sanchez’ “butt fumble”?

budwom
10-23-2020, 08:27 AM

At least they went on to get the TD. Engram's drop cost them the game, along with several idiotic penalties on the defense...you just can't do those sorts of things and win.

PSurprise
10-23-2020, 08:31 AM

That was probably the best tackle by a Giants player all game.

DevilHorse
10-23-2020, 08:44 AM
At least they went on to get the TD. Engram's drop cost them the game, along with several idiotic penalties on the defense...you just can't do those sorts of things and win.

The first turnover (interception) was also courtesy of Engram not being able to catch a DJ pass as it bounced off his hands into the air, and into an Eagle defender's hands. No TDs this year for Engram in his 4th year who was supposed to be a Tight End/Wide Receiver hybrid. He has been a first round pick fumble (so far), either injured, non-productive, or destructive. But he runs nicely.

Larry
DevilHorse

sagegrouse
10-23-2020, 08:55 AM

Acy, Acy! I forget how young you are. That was a strike year, and the year of the Redskins' first Super Bowl -- Riggins and Theisman.

sagegrouse
10-23-2020, 08:59 AM

That's fine -- but Daniel Jones outran everyone in the Eagles' secondary. That's a step up from his game at Duke, where he outran everyone in the Tar Heels' defense -- multiple times. I expect his 40-yard dash time is not spectacular -- that depends on starts and the track guys excel -- but his "high-end" speed is truly impressive.

chrishoke
10-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately for Daniel he got tripped up by this year's Duke red zone curse. Amazing that he didn't fumble.

chrishoke
10-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Here's what DJ said after the game - "I just ... I don't know," he said. "I tried to run faster than I was running and I got caught up."

roywhite
10-23-2020, 10:49 AM
From ESPN.com: The 80-yard run still was the longest quarterback run since 2015, when Marcus Mariota had an 87-yard scamper against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Jones reached a max speed of 21.23 mph, the fastest by a quarterback since 2018.

That's fine -- but Daniel Jones outran everyone in the Eagles' secondary. That's a step up from his game at Duke, where he outran everyone in the Tar Heels' defense -- multiple times. I expect his 40-yard dash time is not spectacular -- that depends on starts and the track guys excel -- but his "high-end" speed is truly impressive.

Yeah, really on Daniel's speed. That fastest max speed by a QB in two years would include guys like Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson.

budwom
10-23-2020, 01:07 PM
If I were being chased by some of those guys, I'd run pretty fast too, but not THAT fast...two weeks in a row he's shown some incredible speed (a week ago he was the fifth or fastest player overall, running with the ball)...

weezie
10-25-2020, 09:08 AM
Our Daniel Jones in some hot water after bar hopping, without social distance, but with Saquon Barkley and neither wearing masks?
The NFL is unhappy.

Acymetric
10-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Our Daniel Jones in some hot water after bar hopping, without social distance, but with Saquon Barkley and neither wearing masks?
The NFL is unhappy.

Well FWIW they weren't bar hopping, it was a private bar/event (closed to the public) although it is unclear who all was there (some Giants teammates and Jones' girlfriend, at least).

bundabergdevil
10-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Well FWIW they weren't bar hopping, it was a private bar/event (closed to the public) although it is unclear who all was there (some Giants teammates and Jones' girlfriend, at least).

Still an unforced error...which DJ didn’t need after his Sunday spectacular

duke74
10-25-2020, 10:51 AM

The NY Post’s take on it.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/24/dj-bar-photo-of-giants-saquon-barkley-daniel-jones-is-old/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Bob Green
10-25-2020, 11:16 AM
Jamison Crowder is “Doubtful” for the Jets today.

weezie
10-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Yep, only saw it as screen ticker during the baseball game last night. Fox didn't give much info. Thanks for the clarification.

Acymetric
10-25-2020, 02:03 PM
Yep, only saw it as screen ticker during the baseball game last night. Fox didn't give much info. Thanks for the clarification.

It still might be a violation of the NFL's protocols, but it isn't nearly as egregious.

budwom
11-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Article on the Giants-WTF game felt compelled to say that Bud Light was selling for $14 yesterday, which was good for social distancing.

arnie
11-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Article on the Giants-WTF game felt compelled to say that Bud Light was selling for $14 yesterday, which was good for social distancing.

Crowder with great TD catch. Jets crushing Pats.

duke74
11-09-2020, 10:19 PM
Crowder with great TD catch. Jets crushing Pats.

We can’t even tank right. At least we have the 4th quarter to wrong the ship.

sagegrouse
11-09-2020, 10:33 PM

Oh, the Jets are tanking just right. How about "too many men on the field" during a field goal attempt, giving the Pats a first down at the 10?

pfrduke
11-09-2020, 11:58 PM

How does running 4 offensive plays in the 4th quarter sound for scuttling the ship?

OZZIE4DUKE
11-10-2020, 08:28 AM
How does running 4 offensive plays in the 4th quarter sound for scuttling the ship?
And then lose on a long field goal as time expires. Sheesh!

duke74
11-10-2020, 12:53 PM
And then lose on a long field goal as time expires. Sheesh!

By a former Jet.

budwom
11-10-2020, 12:56 PM
By a former Jet.

When you're a Jet you're a Jet all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dying day.

duke74
11-10-2020, 01:06 PM
When you’re a Jet (fan), every day feels like your last dying day.

Acymetric
11-22-2020, 10:26 AM
Some not so positive Duke NFL news, Matt Skura has been benched in Baltimore.

75Crazie
11-26-2020, 07:55 AM
There is a very nice article in today's Nashville Tennessean, by the sports editor, on Breon Borders (http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/11/25/breon-borders-titans-colts-nfl-week-12-david-cutcliffe/6361109002/ ... I suspect it is behind a paywall, but include it here on the off-chance you can get to it). He has been cut by 7 NFL teams in 3 years, signed onto the Titans practice squad this year, detoured temporarily to the Covid-19 list, then due to injuries and team housecleaning he has been in a starting role the last 3 weeks, evidently acquitting himself nicely. The article describes his family issues growing up and includes some quotes by Cutcliffe.

sagegrouse
11-26-2020, 08:40 AM
There is a very nice article in today's Nashville Tennessean, by the sports editor, on Breon Borders (http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/11/25/breon-borders-titans-colts-nfl-week-12-david-cutcliffe/6361109002/ ... I suspect it is behind a paywall, but include it here on the off-chance you can get to it). He has been cut by 7 NFL teams in 3 years, signed onto the Titans practice squad this year, detoured temporarily to the Covid-19 list, then due to injuries and team housecleaning he has been in a starting role the last 3 weeks, evidently acquitting himself nicely. The article describes his family issues growing up and includes some quotes by Cutcliffe.

Oh my! You are seven years old in Statesville, NC and your whole family is carted off to prison for drug offenses.You are reared by a great aunt. From there to Duke to a carousel tour of the NFL and a key role with the Titans, a contender in the AFC South at 7-3.

Bob Green
11-26-2020, 09:03 AM
... I suspect it is behind a paywall, but include it here on the off-chance you can get to it).

I was able to read the article. Thanks for sharing.

chrishoke
11-26-2020, 10:37 AM
Amazing story and an incredible young man.

sagegrouse
11-26-2020, 11:30 AM
The NY Post’s take on it.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/24/dj-bar-photo-of-giants-saquon-barkley-daniel-jones-is-old/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

A little more detail from five weeks ago in the NY Post:

Jones and Barkley, along with a few teammates and friends, went to dinner in Manhattan in a private room of a restaurant, according to a person familiar with the situation. After dinner, the group was invited by a bar owner known by the group to have a drink at a private bar, which is closed to the public. It was at that bar where the video, posted and shared to Instagram by someone who goes by the name of DJ Lugghead, was recorded. DJ Lugghead served as a driver for the Giants group that night.

The picture was captioned, “Rockin wit Danny dimes and Saquon.” The DJ also posted a video of Jones taking a sip of a drink handed to him by an unidentified woman and another that appeared to show a man resembling Barkley riding a bike in the street. Barkley is set to undergo surgery next week after tearing his ACL on Sept. 20. He has been strengthening his knee ever since in preparation for surgery.

Maybe not a nothing burger, but at most a mini junior hamburger.

Bob Green
11-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Breon Borders with an interception against Colts.

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1333145102118772737?s=21

chrishoke
11-29-2020, 06:37 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting that. How can you not be a big Breon fan after reading that recent article detailing all he has overcome in his life.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-29-2020, 09:44 PM

It’s the pick 6 that hit him in his hands and stomach that he dropped that’ll haunt him! The int he caught was tough. The one he dropped was easy. As bad a DJ tripping on the 15 yard line and not scoring the TD! LGD GTHcGTH!

accfanfrom1970
11-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Lucas Patrick played 58 snaps for the Packers , looks like he’ll be starting next week.

Bob Green
12-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Crowder with a nice catch for six:

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1335649368976842753?s=21

chrishoke
12-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Crowder with a nice catch for six:

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1335649368976842753?s=21

To give the Jets the lead - WOW!

Bob Green
12-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Another TD reception for Crowder:

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1335657104099713034?s=21

Acymetric
12-06-2020, 01:57 PM
Breon Borders is starting for the Titans...unfortunately I only know this because he got burned bad on a long TD against the Browns.

Edit: If I had read the thread I would have seen a comment from about a week ago mentioning Borders for the Titans ;)

Bob Green
12-27-2020, 02:31 PM
Jamison Crowder with a 43 yard touchdown pass:

https://twitter.com/dukefootball/status/1343269999406952451?s=21

Jets up on Browns 13-3 at the half.

Bob Green
12-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Jamison Crowder with a 30 yard touchdown reception from Sam Darnold.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1343283408047394818?s=21

Acymetric
02-09-2021, 01:18 PM
Seems worth mentioning that with the Tampa Bay win (ugh) Ross Cockrell and Thad Lewis are now both Super Bowl Champions (as a player and a coach, respectively)!

Blue in the Face
02-09-2021, 02:26 PM
Seems worth mentioning that with the Tampa Bay win (ugh) Ross Cockrell and Thad Lewis are now both Super Bowl Champions (as a player and a coach, respectively)!
Turning down the Giants' offer earlier in the year worked out pretty well for Cockrell.

coldriver10
02-09-2021, 10:29 PM
I'm a Bucs fan so I follow them closely. Cockrell stepped up huge for us after our secondary had some injuries late in the regular season. In fact, I think he even started a game and really held his own. I'm not sure he was active for the SB, but he definitely earned that ring.

arnie
02-10-2021, 07:15 AM
I'm a Bucs fan so I follow them closely. Cockrell stepped up huge for us after our secondary had some injuries late in the regular season. In fact, I think he even started a game and really held his own. I'm not sure he was active for the SB, but he definitely earned that ring.

Cockrell played on special teams in the Super Bowl. Some article I read stated 6 plays.

Acymetric
02-10-2021, 08:22 AM
Cockrell had been an outright starter at times before some of his significant injuries. He almost certainly would have started for the Panthers the year he broke his ankle.

sagegrouse
02-10-2021, 10:20 AM

Russ was active for the Super Bowl, I believe. Here is the list of Tampa Bay inactives, bringing game day roster down from 55 to 48:

TE Antony Auclair
DL Khalil Davis
QB Ryan Griffin
DL Jeremiah Ledbetter
QB Drew Stanton
RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn
WR Justin Watson

JasonEvans
02-10-2021, 11:35 AM
Ross has now passed $10 mil in career earnings.