PDA

View Full Version : FB: Boston College 26, Duke 6

awhom111
09-13-2020, 12:59 AM
The game is far away, but the TV channel list is available so we might as well start the thread now:
https://theacc.com/sports/2020/9/11/FB_RSN_BC_DU_20.aspx

The hope is that later in the week there will be a map that will show you options based on your location. For now, assume that if you are in the market for one of the listed channels, you can watch on TV or online using that channel. Those outside of the ACC footprint who subscribe to ACC Network should also be able to watch on WatchESPN. Some providers will also have the game on ESPN College Extra for those outside the conference area.

Bob Green
09-13-2020, 09:21 AM
No odds posted yet at vegasinsider.com but I expect Duke to open as a five points favorite.

chrishoke
09-13-2020, 10:26 AM
The BC starting QB is a transfer from Notre Dame. He was a four star recruit ranked #83 nationally in his class. He will be a handful.

duke2x
09-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Sagarin says Duke by 9 at home. Sagarin also puts the rest of our ACC games basically in the tossup category except this one. (@UVA is the worst at a 4 point loss.) Keep in mind our opponents have played 0-1 games. If your biggest improvement between Game 1 and Game 2, I like this advantage against BC and UVA.

We really have no idea what to expect with this new coach other than this will not be a repeat of the 9-7 fireworks from 2015. He was promoted from a defensive position coach to HC. You might get Dabo Swinney, but you also might get Carl Franks, Chuck Amato, and John Bunting. Fun fact: BC's OC was UNC's OC in John Bunting's last game, and we can ruminate whether it should have been Ted Roof's. The score was 45-44 UNC on a missed PAT. (Yes, too soon for me.)

BC gave up almost 200 on the ground last year and close to 500 overall. If we struggle to run against BC, this could be a long season. BC probably isn't going to drop much from the 250 per game rushing they had last year. They were not a strong passing team last year, and I'm not sure you can expect drastic improvement there in Game 1 in the current environment. We have a few downs of tape on the QB from last year's ND game. He didn't throw the ball but ran for 24 yards.

Score early and often is my best guess. I generally avoid watching members #10-14.5 in the ACC, and I can't recall seeing BC in person since the rainy 9-7 shootout.

arnie
09-14-2020, 07:16 AM
Sagarin says Duke by 9 at home. Sagarin also puts the rest of our ACC games basically in the tossup category except this one. (@UVA is the worst at a 4 point loss.) Keep in mind our opponents have played 0-1 games. If your biggest improvement between Game 1 and Game 2, I like this advantage against BC and UVA.

We really have no idea what to expect with this new coach other than this will not be a repeat of the 9-7 fireworks from 2015. He was promoted from a defensive position coach to HC. You might get Dabo Swinney, but you also might get Carl Franks, Chuck Amato, and John Bunting. Fun fact: BC's OC was UNC's OC in John Bunting's last game, and we can ruminate whether it should have been Ted Roof's. The score was 45-44 UNC on a missed PAT. (Yes, too soon for me.)

BC gave up almost 200 on the ground last year and close to 500 overall. If we struggle to run against BC, this could be a long season. BC probably isn't going to drop much from the 250 per game rushing they had last year. They were not a strong passing team last year, and I'm not sure you can expect drastic improvement there in Game 1 in the current environment. We have a few downs of tape on the QB from last year's ND game. He didn't throw the ball but ran for 24 yards.

Score early and often is my best guess. I generally avoid watching members #10-14.5 in the ACC, and I can't recall seeing BC in person since the rainy 9-7 shootout.

Early betting lines - Duke by 5.5-6

devildeac
09-14-2020, 09:37 AM
Any updates on injuries from Saturday? Too soon to tell? Upper body/lower body? Unspecified? Day-to-day?

budwom
09-14-2020, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't put much, if any, stock in Sagarin until at least several games have been played....

Bob Green
09-14-2020, 03:49 PM
Game notes:

https://goduke.com/news/2020/9/14/football-game-notes-boston-college.aspx

Bob Green
09-14-2020, 06:14 PM
Jim Sumner article on front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/9/14/21436480/coach-cut-on-notre-dame-bc-duke-football

Coach Cutcliffe talks Boston College.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2020, 02:23 PM
The game is far away, but the TV channel list is available so we might as well start the thread now:

The hope is that later in the week there will be a map that will show you options based on your location. For now, assume that if you are in the market for one of the listed channels, you can watch on TV or online using that channel. Those outside of the ACC footprint who subscribe to ACC Network should also be able to watch on WatchESPN. Some providers will also have the game on ESPN College Extra for those outside the conference area.
RSN is Fox Sports carolinas in Greensboro, Spectrum channel 51. Our game wasn't listed in their program guide yesterday when I looked, but now it is.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-15-2020, 02:44 PM
RSN is Fox Sports carolinas in Greensboro, Spectrum channel 51. Our game wasn't listed in their program guide yesterday when I looked, but now it is.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Game is also scheduled for ESPN3.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2020, 05:07 PM

Just added here, too. Yay!

awhom111
09-16-2020, 12:41 AM
Game is also scheduled for ESPN3.

Interesting that it is listed as ESPN3 and not ACCNX like RSN games last season.

Can someone definitely within the ACC footprint please check their WatchESPN schedule to see if the game is listed? There may be different rules given the current special circumstances.

brevity
09-16-2020, 01:52 AM
If it helps, my U-Verse guide shows the game on channels

1722 Fox Sports Sun
1735 SportsTime Ohio
1744 FSN Wisconsin
1748 FSN St. Louis
1751 FSN Oklahoma
1753 FSN Dallas
1755 FSN Houston
1756 FSN San Antonio
1774 FSN Prime Ticket
1775 FSN Arizona
1776 FSN San Diego

While on the subject, channel 647 (Fox College Sports Atlantic) has “Duke All-Access” with Coach Cutcliffe on Saturdays at 10:30am ET.

Bob Green
09-16-2020, 05:04 AM
More on Duke - BC:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/9/15/21437512/more-on-duke-bc-acc-football-david-cutcliffe-chase-brice

Jim Sumner with more on Saturday’s home opener. Derrick Tangelo expects “smash mouth” football.

Acymetric
09-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Interesting that it is listed as ESPN3 and not ACCNX like RSN games last season.

Can someone definitely within the ACC footprint please check their WatchESPN schedule to see if the game is listed? There may be different rules given the current special circumstances.

Usually if you're in the ACC footprint the game is not​ available to stream online for these RSN games.

DU82
09-16-2020, 07:55 AM

Per your request, I took a look. It shows up on the list as ESPN3 here in Durham. Couldn’t bring up the specifics, it’s just in the list at this point. Don’t know if that’s normal three days ahead.

Acymetric
09-16-2020, 08:05 AM
Per your request, I took a look. It shows up on the list as ESPN3 here in Durham. Couldn’t bring up the specifics, it’s just in the list at this point. Don’t know if that’s normal three days ahead.

This doesn't tell us whether it will be blacked out, historically blacked out games show up on the list and don't tell you they are blacked out in your area until you try to play them.

DU82
09-16-2020, 09:13 AM
This doesn't tell us whether it will be blacked out, historically blacked out games show up on the list and don't tell you they are blacked out in your area until you try to play them.

That’s what awhom111 has been doing for years, providing us a valuable service by identifying the broadcast details, including blackout areas. It appears that the blackout list isn’t showing up as it did in previous seasons. All I did was provide awhom111 with the information requested from within the ACC area (no doubt that being in the Durham city limits is within the footprint.) If we don’t get more info before game time, I’ll try to get the game on ESPN3 while watching on Fox Sports South to see if things have changed regarding the blackout. The lack of information may be an indication that ESPN is changing the “rules” because of the pandemic, or it may be that they just haven’t gotten around to posting the blackout area yet.

DU82
09-16-2020, 09:18 AM

Ozzie, Fox Sports South is channel 50 in Durham, 51 is the Golf Channel here. Is it different in Greensboro, or were you subconsciously wanting to watch the US open? :)

(Spectrum likes to keep channel numbers consistent in a general area, that’s why I’m asking.)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-16-2020, 09:48 AM
Ozzie, Fox Sports South is channel 50 in Durham, 51 is the Golf Channel here. Is it different in Greensboro, or were you subconsciously wanting to watch the US open? :)

(Spectrum likes to keep channel numbers consistent in a general area, that’s why I’m asking.)
In Greensboro (the Triad area) FSS is 51. USA is 50. The Golf channel is 52. :cool: If Tiger is playing on Saturday, I'll check in on the US Open often! If no Tiger, I'll still check in occasionally! On Sunday, I'll watch after I finish playing (about 5ish).

English
09-16-2020, 11:07 AM
Duke is favored by 6pts (according to Vegas), with an O/U of 52 (up from 50.5). It feels good to be favored in a conference game--certainly a function of performing well in a high-visibility game for a change.

budwom
09-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Our lads need to sow that they can move the ball vs BC, especially via the air downfield...no shame in not doing that vs ND, but if we aspire to a winning record this season, it will be required.

Acymetric
09-16-2020, 12:06 PM
That’s what awhom111 has been doing for years, providing us a valuable service by identifying the broadcast details, including blackout areas. It appears that the blackout list isn’t showing up as it did in previous seasons. All I did was provide awhom111 with the information requested from within the ACC area (no doubt that being in the Durham city limits is within the footprint.) If we don’t get more info before game time, I’ll try to get the game on ESPN3 while watching on Fox Sports South to see if things have changed regarding the blackout. The lack of information may be an indication that ESPN is changing the “rules” because of the pandemic, or it may be that they just haven’t gotten around to posting the blackout area yet.

I am well aware of all of that, I didn't just join this board yesterday. I was just making sure that nobody tried to draw any conclusions from the fact that the game was on the list, I wasn't criticizing you for looking it up after awhom111 asked. To paraphrase Mr. Rodgers: R-E-L-A-X.

duke79
09-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Looks to be broadcast on NESN on YouTube TV.

TruBlu
09-16-2020, 12:43 PM
I’m hoping that I can watch the game live in Indy on Saturday as we will be there for one of our (4) Granddaughter‘s birthday. Of course the birthday party time is TBA, so I might be stuck with watching a replay. First things first.

DU82
09-16-2020, 01:22 PM
In Greensboro (the Triad area) FSS is 51. USA is 50. The Golf channel is 52. :cool: If Tiger is playing on Saturday, I'll check in on the US Open often! If no Tiger, I'll still check in occasionally! On Sunday, I'll watch after I finish playing (about 5ish).

Thanks. Thought there was more consistency between regions in the same state. Obviously not!

killerleft
09-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Looks to be broadcast on NESN on YouTube TV.

In New England, I guess. But in Greensboro, there is no NESN. Our equivalent is Fox Sports Southeast, which, at least so far, isn't carrying the Duke-BC game. When I look it up in my library for upcoming Duke games it is "unavailable".

OZZIE4DUKE
09-17-2020, 08:57 AM
In New England, I guess. But in Greensboro, there is no NESN. Our equivalent is Fox Sports Southeast, which, at least so far, isn't carrying the Duke-BC game. When I look it up in my library for upcoming Duke games it is "unavailable".
Killer, it'll be on Fox Sports Carolina, Spectrum channel 51.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-17-2020, 10:11 AM
Killer, it'll be on Fox Sports Carolina, Spectrum channel 51.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

In Nashville the game is on FS1 according to the guide on my TV. Any information on whether the ACC is going to get a deal with Comcast? It gets old having to sign up for another subscription service.

DU82
09-17-2020, 10:32 AM
The game shows up on the Fox Sports Go app, and unlocks once I put in my Spectrum account info to verify I have a proper TV provider. Of course, I can also just watch it on Fox Sports South on Cable TV (the app is if I was not at home, as I’ve done in Wallace Wade before. Just need to have paid for the telecast via my TV provider.)

Still no indication if ESPN3 will be available for those in the ACC footprint that do not subscribe to a Fox affiliated channel (FSS, YES,NESN, etc.) via a TV provider.

(Technically, I should say RSN instead of Fox.)

hallcity
09-17-2020, 10:36 AM
In Nashville the game is on FS1 according to the guide on my TV. Any information on whether the ACC is going to get a deal with Comcast? It gets old having to sign up for another subscription service.

The parties are talking but there probably won't be a deal (https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2020/09/11/comcast-espn-acc-network-channel-lineup-sling-armstrong-cable/stories/202009090045) until the end of next year when Comcast's main contract with Disney, which includes ABC, ESPN and ACCN, comes up for renewal.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
09-17-2020, 11:47 AM

My bad, in Nashville on FSN channel 1250 on Comcast. I have a love/hate relationship with Comcast. They absolutely have the best remote, multiple times better than Spectrum at my son’s house. I hate that they don’t carry the ACC.

Bob Green
09-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Uniform: white helmet with black iron D, blue jersey, white pants.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Uniform: white helmet with black iron D, blue jersey, white pants.

The uniform of winners.

Duke 27, Bahston College 20

PDDuke85
09-17-2020, 06:59 PM
The uniform of winners.

OPK, over the years, I’ve grown to respect your insight into everything Duke, but, in this instance

Duke 35
The other Eagles we play 10

awhom111
09-18-2020, 12:32 AM
We still have no blackout list, but the ESPN College Extra channels have been assigned and our game is in the first one (DirecTV 788). Several other providers have added ESPN College Extra this season so if you are not in an ACC market, you may be able to watch on television via one of those channels if your local RSN is not carrying the game.

Devilwin
09-18-2020, 08:23 AM
High Point area Direct TV channel 646..Make that 646-1.

SavDukeGrad
09-18-2020, 01:16 PM
Duke football just posted a video to their Instagram account with Mark Gilbert talking about his injury, recovery, and return last week. Very moving. What a story - I can’t even tell you how much I’m pulling for that guy!

Bob Green
09-18-2020, 05:56 PM

Duke 28, BC 24

jb75
09-18-2020, 10:33 PM
In the Seattle area, game is on Root Sports, Comcast channel 627.

WV_Iron_Duke
09-19-2020, 12:58 AM
On Verizon Fios in NVA and likely the DC Metro Area, the Duke game is on channel 821.

Bob Green
09-19-2020, 05:32 AM
On Verizon Fios in NVA and likely the DC Metro Area, the Duke game is on channel 821.

Channel 821 in Tidewater/Hampton Roads area as well. Unfortunately, I do not get that channel so I will be streaming.

Sixthman
09-19-2020, 07:10 AM
Last time we played BC we came away with a 9-7 win. While I love the idea of our defense holding a team to 7 points, it feels like it’s time for the offense to break out. This is a day for the o-line to show us what kind of season we’ll have.

OldPhiKap
09-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Game day, let’s go!

TruBlu
09-19-2020, 08:33 AM
I’m hoping that I can watch the game live in Indy on Saturday as we will be there for one of our (4) Granddaughter‘s birthday. Of course the birthday party time is TBA, so I might be stuck with watching a replay. First things first.

Duke game is noon. Granddaughter’s birthday party is now announced as starting at noon. Yep, I will be watching a recording of the game tonight.

GO DUKE!!!

Devilwin
09-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Duke 31, BC 20.

Avvocato
09-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Really surprised how well we stood up against the run for the most part last week. Need that same type of effort today. No let up. Limit BC on the ground, and unleash our DEs on them. Must establish the run. Will put Chase in short yardage situations and will actually make play action effective. Expecting the offense to click a little more and be more consistent. It’s not “over” if we fall to 0-2, but these are the games on the schedule we need to win to have a good season and build momentum. Duke 27-17. Can’t wait. Let’s go Duke!

DU82
09-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Just checked the ESPN app, and it says “blackout”, so no EPSN3 in the ACC footprint (I didn’t search for a map.)

Here’s a list of sport channels that are carrying the game, from the ACC website:

Bob Green
09-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Per the ACC website, in market live stream available at:

https://www.foxsportsgo.com/

https://theacc.com/sports/2017/9/8/acc-on-rsn.aspx

Son of Mojo
09-19-2020, 11:28 AM
Looks like as a Dish subscriber (like with Braves games), I'm SOL. *shrugs*

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Looks like a beautiful day for football in Durham! Let’s go!! Duke - 24 BC - 21

Do we know anything about injuries? I am especially wondering about Lummie Young and Jalon Calhoun.

Bob Green
09-19-2020, 11:37 AM
Do we know anything about injuries? I am especially wondering about Lummie Young and Jalon Calhoun.

I saw something on Twitter about Lummie Young being limited in practice. Nothing on Calhoun.

budwom
09-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Looks like a beautiful day for football in Durham! Let’s go!! Duke - 24 BC - 21

Ha, procuring injury info from Duke is like trying to pry a chicken out of the jaws of an alligator....we generally hear only when a player undergoes surgery, so no news tends to be good news.

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 11:54 AM
I saw something on Twitter about Lummie Young being limited in practice. Nothing on Calhoun.

Thank you, Bob. Young was the one I have been worried about, after the way he looked when he left the game last week. I have to admit, if he has been only “limited” in practice this week, that is much better than I had feared.

Go Duke!

-jk
09-19-2020, 12:01 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive (https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=ccarc) to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

peteandpete
09-19-2020, 12:09 PM
Anybody around upstate SC? Just renewed sling and can't watch on espn 3. Help!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-19-2020, 12:15 PM
ESPN isn't even bothering to Gamecast this matchup.

duke2x
09-19-2020, 12:18 PM
You might watch this game on a 7-day free trial with Hulu, but it's not a solution for the rest of the season. I expect we will be in this FSN slot several times this year.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 12:20 PM
So far our LBs have looked poor. Let's hope they make adjustments.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Could not have scripted a worse start. We look like the team that hasn't played yet. Frustrating.

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 12:25 PM
Ugh. Not looking good for Duke so far. Hope we can make some adjustments.

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 12:25 PM
Damn! Awful start. Two three-and-outs and down 0-7.

But Bob Green and family are looking good in the end zone, although seated lower than usual.

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 12:28 PM
Wow. Great play by Gilbert! So happy for him!

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Damn! Awful start. Two three-and-outs and down 0-7.

But Bob Green and family are looking good in the end zone, although seated lower than usual.

Ask and ye shall receive -- INT!

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Roper calling the plays per Fox
Fake news I hope

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Roper calling the plays per Fox
Fake news I hope

I have thought several times that these announcers don’t know what they’re talking about.

And as I’m typing, TD by Durant!

dukebluesincebirth
09-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Rough start, but we got this... keep momentum!

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 12:48 PM
Rough start, but we got this... keep momentum!

One step forward, two steps back. Really thought we would come out sharper today.

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 12:55 PM
One step forward, two steps back. Really thought we would come out sharper today.

Why I drink.....

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 12:56 PM
Too many errors.

peloton
09-19-2020, 12:57 PM
C'mon, Devils - let's get it together!

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 12:57 PM
What a costly turnover.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Good defensive stand helped out by a fortunate holding penalty behind the play.

peloton
09-19-2020, 01:09 PM
Nothing less than a TD here, Duke.

YmoBeThere
09-19-2020, 01:12 PM
Duke is favored by 6pts (according to Vegas), with an O/U of 52 (up from 50.5). It feels good to be favored in a conference game--certainly a function of performing well in a high-visibility game for a change.

I hope you took the under.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 01:14 PM
Unforced errors.

uh_no
09-19-2020, 01:16 PM
mmmm. 10 yd loss on a screen pass on 3rd and 19. nice.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Never seen this from a Cut team.

peloton
09-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Well, that possession was a disaster.

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 01:18 PM
ACC Refs

uh_no
09-19-2020, 01:18 PM
Well, that possession was a disaster.

4th and 46, followed by a fair catch interference.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2020, 01:19 PM
4th and 46 on a series that started in FG territory. That third down play was just an awful decision by the QB.

Two turnovers deep in BCs zone.

Hot mess.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 01:19 PM
That kick catch interference call is such trash. Absolutely ridiculous. Swofford must be watching our game.

YmoBeThere
09-19-2020, 01:20 PM
4 penalties in 4 plays? Or was it technically 4 in 3 plays?

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 01:23 PM
That kick catch interference call is such trash. Absolutely ridiculous. Swofford must be watching our game.

I agree. And they have missed at least 3 PI calls against BC by my count. And the last missed call was egregious.

Calls going against us for sure.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Ugly game. Check the attendance records though. This one could break Duke’s Top 10.

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 01:27 PM
Fifty yards of penalties in about 30 seconds of playing time. Glad we didn't get a personal foul on the continued action in the sack of Jurkovec.

YmoBeThere
09-19-2020, 01:27 PM
Brightside alert: we are only down a point.

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 01:38 PM
Brightside alert: we are only down a point.

The voice of reason. I, too, need to be reeled in.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Ugly game. Check the attendance records though. This one could break Duke’s Top 10.

Might be all that crowd noise that's throwing us off.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Just getting farcical now.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2020, 01:56 PM
I hope we have a good graduation rate this year.

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Good defensive stand -- definitely bailing out the office.

On a side note, the Bob Green family in the end zone have made no effort to grab and return either kick that went in the stands.

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:02 PM
Time for the offense to start pulling their weight in this game.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2020, 02:08 PM
TD here would make up for a lot of mistakes. FG not so much.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:10 PM
TD here would make up for a lot of mistakes. FG not so much.

What about a badly missed FG.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Perfect.....sigh

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Demoralizing.

rtnorthrup
Stop running Chase Brice. He is not elusive.

Mabdul Doobakus
What a mess. Just not winning football. Reminds me of pre-Cut Duke.

I think fg attempt was the right call there if you trust your kicker. You can't trust Ham today. It's Rosh Hashanah. Stay Kosher, my friends.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:12 PM
Ball game

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Uninspiring

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:14 PM
Stop running Chase Brice. He is not elusive.

Agreed...he doesn't have the wheels that DJ has.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:14 PM
That kick looked like it was fired out of a potato gun.

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:16 PM
Ball game

Nope, but it certainly doesn't look good.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:18 PM
Who is ready for the Cut, "we will go back to work" post game comments

brlftz
09-19-2020, 02:19 PM
I love Brice but he may be the slowest QB I’ve seen at Duke

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Who is ready for the Cut, "we will go back to work" post game comments

I don't listen to his postgame anymore. They haven't been interesting or informative for about 8-9 years now.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Criminal. Duke secondary social distancing on that one. Cmon Duke you’re better than this.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:27 PM
Criminal. Duke secondary social distancing on that one. Cmon Duke you’re better than this.

Same story as last year, you can't keep asking the Def to stay on the field all day. They kept us in it long enough for our offense to do something.

sagegrouse
David Cutcliffe lost badly to Jeff Hafley in the halftime-speech motivation contest.

AtlBluRew
As of late in the third and down 17, this is a frustrating mix of good ball movement and bad mistakes.

Part of me wishes that Duke had followed the Notre Dame formula and allowed the students in the stands. But then, the students would be leaving at this point.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:32 PM
That’s it. 4 turnovers says it all

uh_no
09-19-2020, 02:33 PM
That’s it

I liked it better when D. Jones was on our side...

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:33 PM
4 turnovers is not going to win you many games...sigh.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 02:35 PM

Two basically on the goal line.

bigperm13
09-19-2020, 02:36 PM
That was careless, passive and uninspired playing and coaching. D-Line might be the only good thing from this game. Just gross.

uh_no
09-19-2020, 02:37 PM

another one on a ball that the receiver had already caught.

Bay Area Duke Fan
09-19-2020, 02:37 PM
When it rains, it pours ... even on a sunny day.

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:38 PM

Yeah, those are the most frustrating I'm sure for the coaching staff.

Scorp4me
09-19-2020, 02:41 PM
I liked it better when D. Jones was on our side...

Just for reference we went 7-17 in conference under him, that's about 2 wins a season. Considering this season is basically nothing but a conference schedule I don't know if that would make much difference this year.

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 02:42 PM
Sigh...........
#GUNNERTIME

uh_no
09-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Just for reference we went 7-17 in conference under him, that's about 2 wins a season. Considering this season is basically nothing but a conference schedule I don't know if that would make much difference this year.

Oh I'm not unawares.

As Jordan said in space jam to his son watching him strike out on TV: "lets put something else on. this is bad for your eyes"

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 02:44 PM

Yeah, people seem to not remember that our offense didn't necessarily look that good with Jones under center against higher level competition either at times (we arguably squandered his time at Duke by putting approximately 0 offensive weapons around him and a bad o-line in front of him).

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:45 PM
Yeah, people seem to not remember that our offense didn't necessarily look that good with Jones under center against higher level competition either at times (we arguably squandered his time at Duke by putting approximately 0 offensive weapons around him and a bad o-line in front of him).

Higher level competition? This is an awful Boston College team.

CameronBlue
09-19-2020, 02:49 PM

another in the opponent's red zone, which I guess is even worse. Over time, this is what 3* recruits get you? Again, the limitations of being a small private school...oh well.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 02:52 PM
another in the opponent's red zone, which I guess is even worse. Over time, this is what 3* recruits get you? Again, the limitations of being a small private school...oh well.

Boston College is a small private school.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Higher level competition? This is an awful Boston College team.

"Higher level" meaning any power 5 conference team (so, not FCS teams or Troy).

peloton
09-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Crapola...so much for trying to make the final score look a bit more respectable.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2020, 02:56 PM
The next game that Chase Brice is the starting QB will be a game too soon.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 02:57 PM
The next game that Chase Brice is the starting QB will be a game too soon.

Don't think Katrenick or Gunnar are necessarily improvements.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Don't think Katrenick or Gunnar are necessarily improvements.

I'm willing to see them prove it.

duke2x
09-19-2020, 03:01 PM
Wikipedia couldn't wait until the clock runs out before counting this as a loss. :(

This is a very disappointing result.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 03:03 PM
If we don't get something figured out on offense we're looking at a 0-1 win season (maybe Charlotte).

duke09hms
09-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Under Cut, we're averaging <3 conference wins/year. Without our standard 4 non-con patsies buffing our overall record, it's not gonna look great this year.
The rest of the ACC has upgraded during Cut's tenure.
UVA got Mendenhall, we're now 0-6 against them since 2014.
UNC got Mack Brown, who's old but is still legit.
GT, our old whipping boy got a new coach who brought in a top-20 recruiting class.

We might have our best shots against VT, FSU, and Syracuse. We've never won against FSU (0-20), so I'd love to get the first this year. They lost to GT last week, so it might actually be doable.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-19-2020, 03:12 PM
A most disappointing performance by Chase Brice. One more
week then it’s time for Gunnar or Chris to have a chance to lead
us.

dukelifer
09-19-2020, 03:20 PM
I am not sure what folks expected. This team did not practice much and clearly is not ready to compete in a decent conference. This was Duke’s easiest game but it would have better as the first game and not the second as this was their first game. Such is life in Covid football.

sagegrouse
09-19-2020, 03:24 PM
Just Godawful. Although we never led, we seemed to have control of the game when we kept them inside their territory and had multiple chances to score. Then we gave up 18 points on fumbles inside the ten and missed kicks.

Positives -- Noah and Bobo; Mataeo Durant. All needed more touches.

SamHouston
09-19-2020, 03:25 PM
Damn,

Good quarterback play is imperative at Duke. I heard there is a young guy that lives in the Garden District in New Orleans that slings the ball around pretty well.
Call him after church tomorrow. Talk to his family about the benefits of reclassification, early enrollment, forty year decisions, private school education.
I feel better already.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 03:29 PM
I am not sure what folks expected. This team did not practice much and clearly is not ready to compete in a decent conference. This was Duke’s easiest game but it would have better as the first game and not the second as this was their first game. Such is life in Covid football.

Why is that an excuse for Duke but not any of the other teams? I don't buy it.

PDDuke85
09-19-2020, 03:31 PM
All I know is Navy beat Tulane with a game winning field goal as time expires.
Congratulations Bob.

#GUNNERTIME

OldPhiKap
09-19-2020, 03:32 PM

I think our competitive showing at Notre Dame gave many (myself included) the idea that we could show up at home and not embarrass ourselves.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 03:34 PM
Duke football, where there are no consequences for losing. We will try harder next time.
That should be our motto.

Bob Green
09-19-2020, 03:39 PM

I believe it was five. Plus a missed field goal and extra point.

dukelifer
09-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Why is that an excuse for Duke but not any of the other teams? I don't buy it.

My understanding is that Duke was among the last schools to bring athletes back for practice

peloton
09-19-2020, 03:43 PM
I believe it was five. Plus a missed field goal and extra point.

Great, Bob...that's even more "encouraging" 😉.

budwom
09-19-2020, 03:45 PM
The new look 2020 Cutcliffe offense looks eerily similar to the hapless 2019 Roper offense. Few if any playmakers, unimaginative (and in fact predictable red zone) playcalling. There are simply not going to be many wins for this team.
Glad I didn't attend this one.

Natty_B
09-19-2020, 03:50 PM
Since beating Georgia Tech last fall Duke has lost 7 of 8 and been outscored 264 to 103.

duke09hms
09-19-2020, 03:51 PM
The new look 2020 Cutcliffe offense looks eerily similar to the hapless 2019 Roper offense. Few if any playmakers, unimaginative (and in fact predictable red zone) playcalling. There are simply not going to be many wins for this team.
Glad I didn't attend this one.

Was there supposed to be a "new look" offense this year? Cut always does bland coachspeak, so it wouldn't be surprising if the offense is more of the same this year.

budwom
09-19-2020, 03:58 PM
Was there supposed to be a "new look" offense this year? Cut always does bland coachspeak, so it wouldn't be surprising if the offense is more of the same this year.

Well, he did essentially demote his number one assistant, offensive coordinator Roper, to take over the play calling himself, so to that extent I expected something different (and he clearly hinted at that*), but I was wrong. I'm glad I retain extremely limited expectations.

* comments to the effect of "we're going to be looking at doing some different things", etc, etc, etc, but truly coachspeak as you note.

SavDukeGrad
09-19-2020, 04:47 PM
My understanding is that Duke was among the last schools to bring athletes back for practice

I do think that is true. For all athletes. I remember reading at some point this summer, that every team in the ACC had brought football players back except Duke and UVa.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 05:16 PM
This season is now in real danger of getting away from us.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2020, 05:22 PM

We expected more from the team that showed up against ND last week.

szstark
09-19-2020, 05:28 PM
A most disappointing performance by Chase Brice. One more
week then it’s time for Gunnar or Chris to have a chance to lead
us.

Why wait? He showed today why he was second string before transferring - has zero touch, missed wide open receivers, and can’t run. Rinse and repeat - why wait? Develop a quarterback for the future.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 05:40 PM
Why wait? He showed today why he was second string before transferring - has zero touch, missed wide open receivers, and can’t run. Rinse and repeat - why wait? Develop a quarterback for the future.

I don't think either of our QBs has any more eligibility remaining than Chase. Katrenick couldn't take the starting job from Harris (Gunnar was injured I believe), which is arguably worse than not being able to take the starting job from Trevor Lawrence.

Bob Green
09-19-2020, 05:55 PM
Jim’s recap:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/9/19/21446882/boston-college-runs-over-duke-26-6-acc-football-david-cutcliffe-chase-brice

I’m deflated right now but next week is next week.

jimsumner
09-19-2020, 05:56 PM
I don't think either of our QBs has any more eligibility remaining than Chase. Katrenick couldn't take the starting job from Harris (Gunnar was injured I believe), which is arguably worse than not being able to take the starting job from Trevor Lawrence.

Counting this season Chase Brice and Chris Katrenick have two years of eligibility. Gunnar Holmberg has three. Presumed 2020 redshirt Luca Diamont has four.

No question Brice struggled today. But due to COVID-19 he was unable to do any work with his new team until pretty late in the process. He and his receivers and backs and linemen are doing getting-to-know-you stuff in games that in ordinary years would have been done over the summer. That's a tough recipe. I'm a long way from ready to write him off.

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 06:51 PM
Counting this season Chase Brice and Chris Katrenick have two years of eligibility. Gunnar Holmberg has three. Presumed 2020 redshirt Luca Diamont has four.

No question Brice struggled today. But due to COVID-19 he was unable to do any work with his new team until pretty late in the process. He and his receivers and backs and linemen are doing getting-to-know-you stuff in games that in ordinary years would have been done over the summer. That's a tough recipe. I'm a long way from ready to write him off.

Oh wow, with all the COVID stuff I had completely forgotten about Luca joining us this year. Thanks for the reminder (he was considered a pretty strong get when we landed him).

Acymetric
09-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Jim’s recap:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/9/19/21446882/boston-college-runs-over-duke-26-6-acc-football-david-cutcliffe-chase-brice

I’m deflated right now but next week is next week.

Great writeup as usual from Jim.

Eagles had the ball for 36:18 to Duke’s 23:42.

That is really bad TOP.

rtnorthrup
09-19-2020, 07:07 PM

Jim, as always, I respect your opinions; you've forgotten more football than I will ever know.

Here's what I'm seeing. Chase is the least mobile QB Cut has used since Renfree. The read-option we have used the last several years is off the table with him. We are still running Cut's "stay ahead of the down and distance" offense, but without the read option, our short yardage running game is nonexistent. I get that the cancellation of Spring football and the shortened Summer program have made it tough for Cut to design a new offense for Chase's skill set, but right now, I'm having a hard time thinking Chase is better that the two QBs who have been in our system for a few years.

I am by no means writing off Chase, but I will be very disappointed if we don't see changes in the offense next week. I'd bet Cut starts getting CK or GH some drives where we can run our entire playbook.

jimsumner
09-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Jim, as always, I respect your opinions; you've forgotten more football than I will ever know.

Here's what I'm seeing. Chase is the least mobile QB Cut has used since Renfree. The read-option we have used the last several years is off the table with him. We are still running Cut's "stay ahead of the down and distance" offense, but without the read option, our short yardage running game is nonexistent. I get that the cancellation of Spring football and the shortened Summer program have made it tough for Cut to design a new offense for Chase's skill set, but right now, I'm having a hard time thinking Chase is better that the two QBs who have been in our system for a few years.

I am by no means writing off Chase, but I will be very disappointed if we don't see changes in the offense next week. I'd bet Cut starts getting CK or GH some drives where we can run our entire playbook.

Brice had 30 carries for 187 yards at Clemson and that includes sacks. A lot of that was in mop-up situations and he certainly had better blockers at Clemson. Still, that suggests some mobility. I wonder how much of his early struggles are a result of hesitation and uncertainty caused by not knowing the playbook and his teammates. He does not seem to be making decisive decisions, or at least the correct decisive decisions.

But I agree. Cut is the head coach, the OC and the quarterback guru. Duke needs to figure this out and it starts with Cut.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2020, 07:40 AM
Oh, good — they are rebroadcasting the game here this morning. Fun.

devildeac
09-20-2020, 07:52 AM
Oh, good — they are rebroadcasting the game here this morning. Fun.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23468-do-you-ever-drink-bourbon-in-the-morning-or-early-afternoon/

"I'll drink Bourbon almost anytime, however, if the opportunity presents."

(quoted from the link, not my experience/practice/philosophy :p)

OldPhiKap
09-20-2020, 07:53 AM
https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23468-do-you-ever-drink-bourbon-in-the-morning-or-early-afternoon/

"I'll drink Bourbon almost anytime, however, if the opportunity presents."

(quoted from the link, not my experience/practice/philosophy :p)

Apparently, “scotch eggs” means something different than I thought for some.

devildeac
09-20-2020, 07:57 AM
Apparently, “scotch eggs” means something different than I thought for some.

"At the Minnesota State Fair Scotch eggs are served on a stick."

Shoot, we shoulda thought of that for the NC State Fair long ago :o.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2020, 08:28 AM
"At the Minnesota State Fair Scotch eggs are served on a stick."

Would that be an example of “Minnesota Fats?”

sagegrouse
09-20-2020, 08:51 AM
What was discouraging about this game was Duke's utter inefficiency. We were the equal of BC, and in fact, dominated the action in the second quarter. The Deon Jackson fumble on the four was devastating and redolent of the fumble near the goal line against Cincy in the Belk Bowl. We can't do that. The turnovers and lack of opportunism on offense were obvious. In fact, with the fumbles inside the ten and the missed kicks, we left 18 points on the field, and we that's not counting the losses from three other turnovers.

This was a team that played like the worst in the Franks and Roof era -- some talent on the field but no effective offense.

BC was fired up, I guess, so we will likely do better in future games, as the team realizes the challenges it faces.

peteandpete
09-20-2020, 09:52 AM
I thought that the talent level had risen significantly within the football program. That improvement, coupled with coaching that had been successful in developing less talented players to attain results beyond what might have been expected, and the introduction of winning habits led me to believe Duke football had reached a level of sustained successful performance. That is obviously not the case at the moment. The ultimate measure of success, wins and losses, shows a clear pattern in the wrong direction. I am certainly not inside the program, but if better talent leads to poorer performance (in a division that has not had a dominant team - different winners each year since Duke won its title), serious evaluation is needed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-20-2020, 09:56 AM
I thought that the talent level had risen significantly within the football program. That improvement, coupled with coaching that had been successful in developing less talented players to attain results beyond what might have been expected, and the introduction of winning habits led me to believe Duke football had reached a level of sustained successful performance. That is obviously not the case at the moment. The ultimate measure of success, wins and losses, shows a clear pattern in the wrong direction. I am certainly not inside the program, but if better talent leads to poorer performance (in a division that has not had a dominant team - different winners each year since Duke won its title), serious evaluation is needed.

I doubt anyone will argue with you on these points today. It's a very disheartening and sobering morning for Duke Football.

Of course, everything might look better in a week, but it's rather bleak at the moment.

Devilwin
09-20-2020, 10:17 AM
What was discouraging about this game was Duke's utter inefficiency. We were the equal of BC, and in fact, dominated the action in the second quarter. The Deon Jackson fumble on the four was devastating and redolent of the fumble near the goal line against Cincy in the Belk Bowl. We can't do that. The turnovers and lack of opportunism on offense were obvious. In fact, with the fumbles inside the ten and the missed kicks, we left 18 points on the field, and we that's not counting the losses from three other turnovers.

This was a team that played like the worst in the Franks and Roof era -- some talent on the field but no effective offense.

BC was fired up, I guess, so we will likely do better in future games, as the team realizes the challenges it faces.

Exactly right.

Green Wave Dukie
09-20-2020, 01:16 PM
All I know is Navy beat Tulane with a game winning field goal as time expires.
Congratulations Bob.

#GUNNERTIME

Well, I sure hope this makes Bob Green feel better. Speaking for just myself, not so much.
😱

Bob Green
09-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Well, I sure hope this makes Bob Green feel better. Speaking for just myself, not so much.
😱

I’m happy Navy won but sad Duke lost.

duke2x
09-21-2020, 01:04 AM

Lack of enthusiasm was mentioned on the radio broadcast yesterday. I can remember when we played Miami in 2008 and Richmond in 2009 or 2011 where Cut made similar comments after the game. We have 1-2 games a year like this under Cut, but the off days have been more painful the past 5 years.

budwom
09-21-2020, 11:55 AM
Lack of enthusiasm was mentioned on the radio broadcast yesterday. I can remember when we played Miami in 2008 and Richmond in 2009 or 2011 where Cut made similar comments after the game. We have 1-2 games a year like this under Cut, but the off days have been more painful the past 5 years.

We've had so many horrific performances in the last couple years that I don't think enthusiasm is the principal problem..our defense can be respectable or better, but on offense we have no playmakers (ok, maybe Jackson) and an outdate, predictable scheme.

jimsumner
09-21-2020, 12:00 PM
We've had so many horrific performances in the last couple years that I don't think enthusiasm is the principal problem..our defense can be respectable or better, but on offense we have no playmakers (ok, maybe Jackson) and an outdate, predictable scheme.

Ball security has emerged as an over-riding problem for the offense. Duke was one of the worst teams in FBS last season in turning over the ball and the early trend lines for 2020 are not encouraging to say the least.

Which is directly related to red-zone efficiency. You can't keep getting first-and-goal without getting the ball into the end zone. Not sure if this is talent, play-calling, coaching, all of the above. But nobody does a worse job of converting yards to points.

budwom
09-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Ball security has emerged as an over-riding problem for the offense. Duke was one of the worst teams in FBS last season in turning over the ball and the early trend lines for 2020 are not encouraging to say the least.

Which is directly related to red-zone efficiency. You can't keep getting first-and-goal without getting the ball into the end zone. Not sure if this is talent, play-calling, coaching, all of the above. But nobody does a worse job of converting yards to points.

We rarely seem to have receivers wide open...our drives consist of a whole lot of tight throws, leaving little margin of error. When the field gets short in the red zone, we just don't have the scheme or players (take your pick) to get the job done.

peloton
09-21-2020, 12:55 PM
When the field gets short in the red zone, we just don't have the scheme or players (take your pick) to get the job done.

Yes, unfortunately neither Robert Baldwin or Randy Cuthbert are walking through that door. Sorry, was that too pessimistic?

budwom
09-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Yes, unfortunately neither Robert Baldwin or Randy Cuthbert are walking through that door. Sorry, was that too pessimistic?

no, it was realistic. Hey, I'm undeterrable as a Duke football fan (as are many of us) but I just don't see ANY reason for optimism at this point in time...the rest of our division is moving in a positive direction, and we're clearly regressing.

jimsumner
09-21-2020, 02:19 PM

They'd probably fumble if they did.

Now, that's too pessimistic. :)

rtnorthrup
09-21-2020, 03:55 PM
no, it was realistic. Hey, I'm undeterrable as a Duke football fan (as are many of us) but I just don't see ANY reason for optimism at this point in time...the rest of our division is moving in a positive direction, and we're clearly regressing.

I go back to the Halloween horror against Miami. The program really hasn't been the same since. For me, the low point was 59-7 against Wake. The fact that there were no consequences internally after that game spoke volumes. Without 3-4 winnable non-conference games this season, I think our house of cards may come crashing down.

budwom
09-21-2020, 04:03 PM
I go back to the Halloween horror against Miami. The program really hasn't been the same since. For me, the low point was 59-7 against Wake. The fact that there were no consequences internally after that game spoke volumes. Without 3-4 winnable non-conference games this season, I think our house of cards may come crashing down.

Yeah, we haven't been very good in recent years (no winning records in conference for quite a long time) and without the usual patsies on the schedule, we seem to be looking at a couple of wins at best this year.
But budgetary concerns, and respect for Cut, make it unlikely that any change will be made any time soon...unless he decides it's time to step down, which is probably unlikely.

rtnorthrup
09-21-2020, 04:23 PM
Yeah, we haven't been very good in recent years (no winning records in conference for quite a long time) and without the usual patsies on the schedule, we seem to be looking at a couple of wins at best this year.
But budgetary concerns, and respect for Cut, make it unlikely that any change will be made any time soon...unless he decides it's time to step down, which is probably unlikely.

Rest assured my expectations of change in the program dried up years ago.

jimsumner
09-21-2020, 04:28 PM
I go back to the Halloween horror against Miami. The program really hasn't been the same since.

Duke went to Blacksburg last season and absolutely mauled Virginia Tech. After handily beating Georgia Tech at home Duke was 4-2 overall, 2-1 in the ACC and seemed to be in line for a good bowl game. A big loss at UVA followed but the loss at Chapel Hill was the game that torpedoed the season, IMO. Just such a bad, bad, bad call.

budwom
09-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Rest assured my expectations of change in the program dried up years ago.

Much safer that way. Any Duke football fan who has followed the program for decades and expected major changes would have had a breakdown years ago. "Managing Expectations Since 1967!"

rtnorthrup
09-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Duke went to Blacksburg last season and absolutely mauled Virginia Tech. After handily beating Georgia Tech at home Duke was 4-2 overall, 2-1 in the ACC and seemed to be in line for a good bowl game. A big loss at UVA followed but the loss at Chapel Hill was the game that torpedoed the season, IMO. Just such a bad, bad, bad call.

There have been some wins. We caught Baylor twice while their program was in transition. The Va Tech game last season was one of this best game plans I've seen since the Texas AM bowl game. Ga. Tech last season was probably a case of us catching them at the right time.

Coach Albert and Coach Guerrieri have clearly made us a legit ACC defense. The problem is that big boy college football (yes ACC counts) is a race against the Red Queen. You can move forward and still lose ground against your peers. Duke spent money on coaches, facilities, stadium etc., but you have to keep pressing forward.

Lets see how competitive we are against Mendenhall's UVA. They have had the better of us lately.

sagegrouse
09-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Some of the "usual patsies" were good teams: Baylor, ND, Northwestern -- all of whom we have beaten. Won bowl games in three of the last five years.

arnie
09-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Some of the "usual patsies" were good teams: Baylor, ND, Northwestern -- all of whom we have beaten. Won bowl games in three of the last five years.

True, but the bowl game wins were against Temple, N. Illinois and Indiana. Better wins have been in ACC play those years.

I think we have a respectable D; but if Cut can’t find a playmaker or design plays around our “talent”, we’ve got no chance of winning more than 2-3 games. Hope Charlotte gets healthy and plays us.

duke09hms
09-21-2020, 09:57 PM
We were fortunate to play in the weakest Power 5 division for a while, but even the Coastal has upgraded the coaching, and they've been eating Cut's lunch on the regular. Since UVA canned London and upgraded to Bronco Mendenhall, we haven't beaten them since 2014. Pitt upgraded to Narduzzi in 2014 and have been 5-0 against us. Fuente at VT is 3-1 against Cut (that was crazy last year!). Mack Brown is an upgrade at UNC. We caught GT in a transition year last year, and they have a top-20 class coming in.

The rest of the schedule is top-heavy but still mediocre enough for us to be competitive: #11 UNC, #12 Miami, #20 VT, GT, Syracuse, Wake, NC State, FSU, UVA, Charlotte.

Thankfully we're not playing #21 Pitt for some reason this year. We can beat Charlotte, and I think we're 50-50 to beat VT, GT, Cuse, Wake, NC State, FSU, and UVA.

If we play 10 conference games, that might be enough for us to get that elusive 4th conference win.

59-7 to tiny Wake jeebus that's embarrassing ... shudder

budwom
09-22-2020, 08:22 AM

yes, with a heavy dose of NCCU, Middle Tennesse, on and on...I believe we're something like 7-19 in our last 26 ACC games. That should tell us something, especially since our division is hardly murderer's row.

jv001
09-22-2020, 08:32 AM
yes, with a heavy dose of NCCU, Middle Tennesse, on and on...I believe we're something like 7-19 in our last 26 ACC games. That should tell us something, especially since our division is hardly murderer's row.

It's really sad when you consider those 7 wins are a vast improvement over the previous Duke coaches(prior to Cut). Duke football began its decline in the late 60s and I don't see it ever getting back to where it once was. I think many Duke fans know the reason why.

GoDuke!

sagegrouse
09-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Worst retrospective, counting full seasons only is 10-22 (2016-19). Best retrospective is 2013-19 -- 25-31. Didn't count this season (0-2, now that ND is a conference game).

peloton
09-22-2020, 08:42 AM
We were fortunate to play in the weakest Power 5 division for a while, but even the Coastal has upgraded the coaching, and they've been eating Cut's lunch on the regular. Since UVA canned London and upgraded to Bronco Mendenhall, we haven't beaten them since 2014. Pitt upgraded to Narduzzi in 2014 and have been 5-0 against us. Fuente at VT is 3-1 against Cut (that was crazy last year!). Mack Brown is an upgrade at UNC. We caught GT in a transition year last year, and they have a top-20 class coming in.

The rest of the schedule is top-heavy but still mediocre enough for us to be competitive: #11 UNC, #12 Miami, #20 VT, GT, Syracuse, Wake, NC State, FSU, UVA, Charlotte.

Thankfully we're not playing #21 Pitt for some reason this year. We can beat Charlotte, and I think we're 50-50 to beat VT, GT, Cuse, Wake, NC State, FSU, and UVA.

If we play 10 conference games, that might be enough for us to get that elusive 4th conference win.

59-7 to tiny Wake jeebus that's embarrassing ... shudder

While we definitely stunk up the joint against Boston College, I agree that we certainly have a chance against everyone left on the schedule (if the offense and kicking game improves). However, if we lay another egg in Wallace Wade Stadium, I will demand that my fan cutout be removed from the stands for the remainder of any home games to demonstrate my dissatisfaction :D.

Full disclaimer (confession?) - I did not purchase a fan cutout, so possibly I'm not a "real fan" anyway.

budwom
09-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Worst retrospective, counting full seasons only is 10-22 (2016-19). Best retrospective is 2013-19 -- 25-31. Didn't count this season (0-2, now that ND is a conference game).

OK, 10-24 if that sounds better...but not by much...Meanwhile one of those out of conference wins you tout, Baylor, was a year in which they were 1-11 and just horrible...a better win vs them the next year when they were 7-6.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't broken .500 in conference (weak conference) since 2014.

sagegrouse
09-22-2020, 10:43 AM
OK, 10-24 if that sounds better...but not by much...Meanwhile one of those out of conference wins you tout, Baylor, was a year in which they were 1-11 and just horrible...a better win vs them the next year when they were 7-6.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't broken .500 in conference (weak conference) since 2014.

The "golden era" in the Cut kingdom is 2013-2015

2013 10-4/6-2
2014 9-4/5-3
2015 8-5/4-4

budwom
09-22-2020, 11:34 AM
The "golden era" in the Cut kingdom is 2013-2015

2013 10-4/6-2
2014 9-4/5-3
2015 8-5/4-4

yes indeed, I fondly remember those days and am appreciative of them.

fuse
09-22-2020, 01:08 PM
In a Spaceballs kind of moment, today I learned that Boston College’s starting QB, the transfer from Notre Dame, is a former freshman dorm mate’s son.

Relevant Spaceballs quote:
Dark Helmet: Lone Starr, I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Lone Starr: What does that make us?

Dark Helmet: Absolutely Nothing!

SlimSlowSlider
09-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Duke is in the headline. Article is on front page.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-duke-sinks-after-boston-college-loss-louisville-debuts-in-the-bottom-25/

rtnorthrup
09-22-2020, 02:28 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rankings-duke-sinks-after-boston-college-loss-louisville-debuts-in-the-bottom-25/

I just had PTSD flashbacks to the era when we were a weekly mainstay in ESPNs Bottom10 rankings.

arnie
09-22-2020, 03:26 PM
I just had PTSD flashbacks to the era when we were a weekly mainstay in ESPNs Bottom10 rankings.

Look at the rankings above; we’re in 5th which is solidly within your PTSD recall.

devildeac
09-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Noting that we're #5 in that poll, does it mean we're better than or worse than f$u at #25?

:rolleyes::eek:

OZZIE4DUKE
09-26-2020, 12:05 PM
It’s over.