PDA

View Full Version : My First Cameron Experience

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I have just recieved news that I will be going to the game tomorrow night. I am so excited that I don't know what to do with myself. This may seem somewhat silly for those of you who have been several times, but I am 28, and I have never been able to go, for obvious reasons since I am not an alumni. I have been fortunate enough to have met a friend who works with my wife, who is a season ticket holder, and they have 2 extra for tomorrow nights game. This started out as an ordinary day, nothing special, and now one of my childhood dreams is going to come true, well I guess not childhood but rather lifelong dreams. For those of you who have been there, any suggestions on things I should see while I am there, besides the game. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

FreezingDevil
11-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Get there early so you can take it all in. The team and the Crazies will all be there, for the most part, about an hour before hand. That warm-up period is one of the best parts of the Cameron experience. The Crazies will be out in full force and it will be exciting to see them rail away at the Central players as they stretch and miss their lay-ups. Some of the best cheers and Crazy antics often happen during warm-ups. I guarantee that after twenty minutes you will be more pumped for a game against Central than you ever thought possible.

enjoy!

DukeDude
11-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Congratulations! It's not easy to get to a game in Cameron, even as an alumnus. Plan to get there at least an hour early so you can check out the hall of fame. If you take a walk around the upper concourse, you can't miss it. It is not big, but there are a lot of nice photos and trophies on display, including the national championship trophies. You will also want to watch the team shootaround before the game. I hear that Taylor King puts on quite a show. Enjoy!

MulletMan
11-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I would reccomend several things.

First, doors to Cameron open an hour and a half before tip, so plan to be there about 2 hours before hand if you can... you'll be late. Trust me. While watching the Crazies before the game is great fun, I would ressomend walking around the upper concourse, and taking in the murals/pics that adorn the halls. Also, be sure to visit the Hall of Honor (or whatever name has been settled on) where you can view displays for all of the retired jersey guys and players of the year, etc. If you get there early enough, the Scwartz-Butters building will still be open and you can see the NC trophies, nets, etc.

Linger around after the game and go downstairs (if you're not already there, as I have no idea where your seats are). If you're patient enough, you can wait out the security ropes and walk out onto the floor. Take some picture. Stand at center court and look to each hoop and up at the banners. Its an awesome feeling.

Have fun!

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice, I had no idea where those things were. I also did not know that if I waited long enough I could take some pics from the floor. If any of you are still there afterwards I will be the big cheese head taking as many pics as possible and looking like a tourist in my own state.

Travis
11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Wear sneakers. When you get on the floor after the game (following Mulletman's advice) try a jump or two. If possible touch the net, rim, backboard. I guarantee you will be jumping 2-3'' higher than you would at your local gym. Not because you are excited, but because the floor is awesome.

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I am going to do that. I hope the campus security does not arrest me for looking stupid.

MulletMan
11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I am going to do that. I hope the campus security does not arrest me for looking stupid.

Unlikely. They would have to arrest about 50-60 people each night if that were the case.

As far as the things listed above, you really can't miss them. The upper concourse is the upper floor outside of the seating area proper. The Hall of Fame is off the west side of the upper concourse. Just ask the ushers. They are volunteers and really friendly.

And yes... the floor is awesome.

elvis14
11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

They would have arrested by now, no worries. I have managed to secure tickets for the game Friday vs Central and Monday night's game vs New Mexico State. I'm really pumped. In fact, everyone on here should be pumped.....last time I attended opening night we won the national championship! Of course, we had L8ner, Hill, Hurley, etc. but still if history tells us anything it's that when I attend opening night, we win it all :D

A friend of mine came in town to go to the Clemson game with me last year. We had to scalp tickets which was a pain but it was his first time in CIS so it was worth it. We were probably still there an hour after the game ended. Lots of pictures were taken, etc. Too much fun. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I just found out the tickets are in the student section, I am not sure if that means I am on the floor or what but it sounds really freakin cool. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

MulletMan
11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I just found out the tickets are in the student section, I am not sure if that means I am on the floor or what but it sounds really freakin cool. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

You tell me the # on the ticket, and I'll tell you where it is and if you'll be on TV.

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I won't be able to see the ticket until my wife gets home from work, but as soon as I know I will tell you. On Saturday I will try to upload some pics so I can share my experience with everyone.

dukestheheat
11-08-2007, 06:25 PM
DBFAN-

congratulations! promise me one thing: get there EARLY (to take in the pre-game with the Crazies and the team.....) and HAVE FUN.

i spent some of the best years of my life in Cameron.

you would not believe what i yelled at some opposing players over those years; man those were the good old days i am tellin' ya.

duke lets the students in 90 minutes before tip-off, so right after that the place starts to rock.

virtually anyone down in the student section can start a cheer, and then all join in, so be sure to check out what the Crazies are saying and join in yourself!

have fun, Cameron is just one special place that many try to emulate.

dth.

DBFAN
11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice. I dont think I have stopped smiling today. It just really hits me the later the day gets that I am going to Cameron tomorrow night. I promise you guys I will put some pics up so you can all see how cheesy I get.

Go Duke

RelativeWays
11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Since it will be cold tomorrow, make sure you wear something easy to take off, like a hooded sweatshirt or jacket and that you have a t-shirt underneath because Cameron is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! I was there just last weekend for the Barton game up in the rafters and it was pretty stuffy. It was stuffy when I saw GT get destroyed in 92.

Make sure you have at least $20 in cash for drinks, try to use the bathroom before the game (the line at halftime is BRUTAL, especially for the ladies). If you want pictures of players on the court, do so during warm ups as flash photography is a no no during the game.

I agree with the "take time to see everything" philosophy. I still don't think I really got to soak it all in last weekend and I have no idea when I'll ever be back. TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING!!!!!

Johnboy
11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Since it will be cold tomorrow, make sure you wear something easy to take off, like a hooded sweatshirt or jacket and that you have a t-shirt underneath because Cameron is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

<Mom>Handy tip: carry a kitchen size trash bag in your pocket and you can put your jacket in it and put it under your feet at the game without worrying about anyone spilling on it, etc.</Mom>

Ditto the other suggestions, especially getting there early, touring about the place and staying late to get onto the floor. Look for people in DBR hats and t-shirts and if you see any, ask them who they are.

throatybeard
11-08-2007, 08:51 PM
If you want pictures of players on the court, do so during warm ups as flash photography is a no no during the game.

I've seen people taking flash for the last decade+ and it's no big deal because the flash doesn't go very far.

What you do need is a wide, wide aperture and at least 800 speed film or its digital equivalent. There isn't enough light to make the shutter go fast enough otherwise. Guys are moving; gotta make that shutter go fast.

Indoor66
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I've seen people taking flash for the last decade+ and it's no big deal because the flash doesn't go very far.

What you do need is a wide, wide aperture and at least 800 speed film or its digital equivalent. There isn't enough light to make the shutter go fast enough otherwise. Guys are moving; gotta make that shutter go fast.

Flash is meaningless to pictures in Cameron or any other arena.

DBFAN
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Just to let everyone know, my first time in Cameron was awsome and I will never forget it. Unfortunatley, I was unable to get in until right at the tip off. The person who was bringing me the tickets, did not get there until right at the beginning That is OK though, the next time I go to one I will plan a little more ahead, so I can watch the Crazies during the warm ups. I took tons of pics, which I will get on here sometime this weekend. I have to say one thing that I feel is important. I was a little worried about how the people in the stands would be. I was afraid that they would be like the Duke sterotype, rich and snoby. They might have been rich, I don't know, but they were by far the nicest people I have ever been around during a sporting event. People being polite when they had to get up and leave their seats, people were more than happy to help me around the place, and people who I had never met before were more than helpful when I needed someone to take a pic for me and my wife. I really realized that Cameron is just a building without those people. So for those of you who were there last night, thanks. I do have one question for anyone on here. I had tickets in the student section, but since I got in right the beginning of the game, the people on the floor gave me different tickets, and so they moved me to the upper level, I am not complaining because there does not seem to be a bad seat in the place, but do they do that at every game? Sorry it was such a long post, but there is a lot to talk about.

dukestheheat
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
DBFAN-

glad you had a great time at Cameron and sorry you had to be seated elsewhere (I can't comment on that b/c when i was at duke, i don't think they did that, and i was a student so i sat downstairs all the time anyways.....) due to your tix-holder arriving late; and, that stuff about Duke stereotype is just that, a stereotype. there are arrogant and snobby people everywhere, including duke, but based on my time and experience there, i don't think that, on a percentage basis, there are any more of those types at duke than anywhere else.

so i'm glad you enjoyed the time and also hope you got to take in some of the Antics of the Crazies. We bought the game feed on ACCSelect.com and put it up on a wall in our great room and had pizza, and we enjoyed it!

what is your impression of the team and who stood out for you?

dth.

LetItBD08
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm almost positive they gave you an upstairs ticket because we had to fit as many students into the bottom section as possible and they gave you a ticket of someone who called in and couldn't make the game.

Great to hear you had a good time. Actually during the game I was thinking that you picked a great first game to go to. The Crazies were hopping, the play was exciting, just an all around great way to start the season.

DBFAN
11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I was really impressed with Singler and King. King really surprised me with his ability to go and get the rebound, he played a lot more physical than I would have expected. And man he can stroke the ball when he gets in a groove. Singler go without saying, that drive he made towards the end all the way to the basket and ending with the dunk was sweet. I was hoping though to see something more out of Smith, not that he played bad, but I definitely think that Paulus controlled the tempo better, with better IQ on how to handle the pressure. But my god, that all-oop to Hendo was insane, he got up there with Grant Hill fashion. I was very disappointed in the refs though. I felt that were just riding Zubek as hard as they could. There were two call on him that were in no way a foul, just him trying to be aggressive, and I am afraid that the refs this year are going to have a pre conceived notion of him, and they are just going to keep blowing the whistle. Which means he may become even less aggressive. Overall the team looked good, it was really nice to see some 3's go down, they did have some moments in which they got a little sloppy, bur they are human, hard to stay focused when you are up by 40.