PDA

View Full Version : Would Coach K go to the Pelicans?

DieHard
08-15-2020, 02:45 PM
Potentially no NCAA this year. He coached half the team and a prominent member in the front office. A chance to coach again a generational talent. Life in a bubble is safer if that is the new norm. I would ask him. :confused::rolleyes:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-15-2020, 02:46 PM
Potentially no NCAA this year. He coached half the team and a prominent member in the front office. A chance to coach again a generational talent. Life in a bubble is safer if that is the new norm. I would ask him. :confused::rolleyes:

I hear you.

But no.

budwom
08-15-2020, 02:52 PM
he goes to the Pelicans all the time when he goes to his beach house.

OldPhiKap
08-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Duke and the Celtics are talking about a straight-up trade of K for Brad Stevens. A proven vet who can make an impact right away, for an up-and-coming talent that can pay many dividends over the coming years

Intriguing.

sagegrouse
08-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Coach K only threatens to leave when Duke gets a new President. ("Coach K leave? "That's the worst thing I think could happen," said (approximately) new Duke President Nan Keohane. "And I can't even think what would be second.")

He did not threaten to leave when Vincent Price showed up, so I think the threat now is de minimus.

Steven43
08-15-2020, 03:44 PM
he goes to the Pelicans all the time when he goes to his beach house.

One of the main problems in buying a beach house that is within 3-5 hours of your main home is that you feel obligated to go there whenever you have a decent block of free time, so you give up traveling to all of the other places you could be visiting.

Spoiled Son: “Aww Dad, do we have to visit the beach house AGAIN?? We’ve gone there the past five weekends in a row. Can’t we go somewhere else or just stay home?”

Angry/Annoyed Dad: “Listen, you’ll go there and like it, too! You got that?!”

And not just that, but you’ve got to deal with upkeep and maintenance, concerns about hurricane damage, etc. Just not worth it. I think you should suggest to Mike that he sell that beach house and simply rent one whenever he feels like hanging out at the beach. Plus, that way he can visit any number of cool 😎 beaches and not the same one over and over. But hey, what do I know?

jimsumner
08-15-2020, 05:39 PM
One of the main problems in buying a beach house that is within 3-5 hours of your main home is that you feel obligated to go there whenever you have a decent block of free time, so you give up traveling to all of the other places you could be visiting.

Spoiled Son: “Aww Dad, do we have to visit the beach house AGAIN?? We’ve gone there the past five weekends in a row. Can’t we go somewhere else or just stay home?”

Angry/Annoyed Dad: “Listen, you’ll go there and like it, too! You got that?!”

And not just that, but you’ve got to deal with upkeep and maintenance, concerns about hurricane damage, etc. Just not worth it. I think you should suggest to Mike that he sell that beach house and simply rent one whenever he feels like hanging out at the beach. Plus, that way he can visit any number of cool 😎 beaches and not the same one over and over. But hey, what do I know?

Now you tell me. We're just about to close on a place at Figure-Eight Island. And you're telling us it requires upkeep.!!

cspan37421
08-15-2020, 06:05 PM
No.

While Coach K has at various times entertained the notion of coaching in the NBA, I believe it was for the enjoyment and challenge of coaching the best players. He was able to do that through an even better job than that of NBA head coach ... he did that through being head coach of the USA Olympic basketball team, a team with far more talent than any single NBA squad ... and, no more of a boss to answer to than he has at Duke. Not some hot-seat GM who will tie his hands with roster management, contract and salary considerations, and so on. I think that he left that Olympic team job feeling very satisfied and fulfilled. I don't see any other basketball aspirations ahead of him except guiding Duke to its next national championship.

If he wants to, super. But I really doubt it.

dukelifer
08-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Coach K will be 74. That is not the best time to get a new gig. The chances of succeeding is very small in the next 3 years- the West is loaded. So no.

Steven43
08-15-2020, 07:04 PM
Now you tell me. We're just about to close on a place at Figure-Eight Island. And you're telling us it requires upkeep.!!

Well, the last time I checked, yes, upkeep was part of the deal. Who knew??

Steven43
08-15-2020, 07:17 PM
No.

While Coach K has at various times entertained the notion of coaching in the NBA, I believe it was for the enjoyment and challenge of coaching the best players. I don't see any other basketball aspirations ahead of him except guiding Duke to its next national championship.

If he wants to, super. But I really doubt it.

What the heck do you mean “super” if Coach K were to leave Duke to coach New Orleans? I’m not sure Brad Stevens is quite ready yet to leave Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

But he has to leave Boston for Duke as soon as Coach K leaves. Didn’t you know it stipulates that in his (Stevens) contract?

OldPhiKap
08-15-2020, 07:19 PM
What the heck do you mean “super” if Coach K were to leave Duke to coach New Orleans? I’m not sure Brad Stevens is quite ready yet to leave Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

But he has to leave Boston for Duke as soon as Coach K leaves. Didn’t you know it stipulates that in his (Stevens) contract?

Wait!

“Steven43.”

Brad Stevens is 43 years old.

NOW it all makes sense . . . .

Welcome, Coach!

Steven43
08-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Wait!

“Steven43.”

Brad Stevens is 43 years old.

NOW it all makes sense . . . .

Welcome, Coach!

Nice catch! You’re even smarter than I thought.

ehdg
08-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Coach K only threatens to leave when Duke gets a new President. ("Coach K leave? "That's the worst thing I think could happen," said (approximately) new Duke President Nan Keohane. "And I can't even think what would be second.")

He did not threaten to leave when Vincent Price showed up, so I think the threat now is de minimus.

That's cause he really enjoyed him in the horror movies he made over the years with such other great stars as: Lon Chaney JR. Peter Lorre and Boris Korloff.

Oh wait you didn't mean the actor. LOL

OldPhiKap
08-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Nice catch! You’re even smarter than I thought.

Low bar to start, I am sure! ;-)

weezie
08-15-2020, 08:28 PM
Hmmm. Leave Duke as the GOAT but without that last walk out from the tunnels to what will likely be the most thunderous, emotional outpouring in his career. Turn his back on what he built through years of fight and grit.
For the chance to live under the control of an owner, any owner, really. To coach several guys who left early and who still need plenty of instruction but are now multimillionaires whose agents always think they know best for their clients. Constant travel, egos, NBA press requirements, new town, new staff.

Geez, I just don't see it.

TKG
08-15-2020, 08:38 PM
I think he should go. Not sure he is cut out for college ball.....

throatybeard
08-15-2020, 10:20 PM
Other than getting some collateral pixie dust off Zion and onto you, why would anyone want to coach the Pelicans?

cspan37421
08-15-2020, 10:23 PM
What the heck do you mean “super” if Coach K were to leave Duke to coach New Orleans?

I mean it half-heartedly. Obviously I don't want him to leave. But if it makes him happy, good, because he deserves to be happy. He doesn't owe us anything, and if that would make him happy, good!

Note: I do not believe for a minute it would make him happy. Not New Orleans, not anywhere. Like I said, he's already had the best possible job for coaching professional basketball players. Why would he take a lesser one, especially at this stage?

cspan37421
08-15-2020, 10:24 PM
That's cause he really enjoyed him in the horror movies he made over the years with such other great stars as: Lon Chaney JR. Peter Lorre and Boris Korloff.

And this time of year he loves the bug zappers Price used to hawk.

DieHard
08-15-2020, 10:29 PM
I have been reading this board for years and rarely posting. It is part of my day. Thank you all for giving me content in a world that feels like Groundhog's Day. I saw the Pelicans coach was fired and it hit me that although off the wall, it could spark conversation. Stay safe.

OldPhiKap
08-15-2020, 10:56 PM
I have been reading this board for years and rarely posting. It is part of my day. Thank you all for giving me content in a world that feels like Groundhog's Day. I saw the Pelicans coach was fired and it hit me that although off the wall, it could spark conversation. Stay safe.

I enjoyed the post FWIW and hope you post more. Stay safe, go Duke!

Rich
08-16-2020, 12:17 PM
I think he should go. Not sure he is cut out for college ball...

I'm willing to give him a few more years to find out

Tooold
08-16-2020, 02:27 PM
Hmmm. Leave Duke as the GOAT but without that last walk out from the tunnels to what will likely be the most thunderous, emotional outpouring in his career. Turn his back on what he built through years of fight and grit.
For the chance to live under the control of an owner, any owner, really. To coach several guys who left early and who still need plenty of instruction but are now multimillionaires whose agents always think they know best for their clients. Constant travel, egos, NBA press requirements, new town, new staff.

Geez, I just don't see it.

Agreed. And it was interesting to hear Jayson Tatum compare Coach K and Brad Stevens on JJ’s podcast....he said Coach K is good at motivating and getting players to give their all for the team (which at times requires yelling and emotion, especially when dealing with teenagers), and Coach Stevens is more low-key and focused on X’s and O’s, which is what NBA players need. Not that Coach K could not adapt to the pro environment (we have seen that he can), but Jayson seemed to make the point that his style is actually best-suited to the college game.

dukelifer
08-16-2020, 02:36 PM
Agreed. And it was interesting to hear Jayson Tatum compare Coach K and Brad Stevens on JJ’s podcast...he said Coach K is good at motivating and getting players to give their all for the team (which at times requires yelling and emotion, especially when dealing with teenagers), and Coach Stevens is more low-key and focused on X’s and O’s, which is what NBA players need. Not that Coach K could not adapt to the pro environment (we have seen that he can), but Jayson seemed to make the point that his style is actually best-suited to the college game.

The only reason to jump to the NBA is to win a championship and the Pels will not be able to do that in the next three years. K makes as much or probably more money at Duke than he would there. His family and grandkids are here- his legacy is here. Failure in the NBA is not the way to end a career. He has coached NBA players and won Olympic titles. This notion makes no sense- 10 years ago maybe but definitely not now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-16-2020, 02:40 PM
The only reason to jump to the NBA is to win a championship and the Pels will not be able to do that in the next three years. K makes as much or probably more money at Duke than he would there. His family and grandkids are here- his legacy is here. Failure in the NBA is not the way to end a career. He has coached NBA players and won Olympic titles. This notion makes no sense- 10 years ago maybe but definitely not now.

Closer to twenty years ago, I'd say.

Steven43
08-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Closer to twenty years ago, I'd say.

So....you're saying it's too late?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-16-2020, 03:40 PM
So...you're saying it's too late?

To be fair, there were no Pelicans twenty years ago.

BlueDevilStop
08-20-2020, 08:28 AM
If there was no NCAA this year it would be fun to see him with all of those Duke guys but it would never happen

Daddylawman
08-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Youy don't turn down the Lakers and Celtics at the height of your career to end it with the Pelicans

weezie
08-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Youy don't turn down the Lakers and Celtics at the height of your career to end it with the Pelicans

:D:D:D
Right on. Lock the thread.