PDA

View Full Version : JJ Starts Podcasting Company

pfrduke
08-03-2020, 12:38 PM
JJ is branching out on his own in the podcast business - he's always been a good listen and I wish him success in his new endeavor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/sports/jj-redick-podcast.html

DoubleBlue
08-03-2020, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't have thought that Redick would be cut out for a radio host based on his brash, confrontational court personna at Duke. He seems to have mellowed, or perhaps we are just seeing more of his true off-court personality. Although he doesn't try to hide his world views, he is accepting of other opinions. He's intelligent, well-prepared and colorful. I hope he sticks with it.

weezie
08-03-2020, 02:10 PM
JJ is held in high esteem by the younger generations and that's the secret ingredient for success in the field. He's open to other points of view, also another rarity in any arena these days

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-03-2020, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't have thought that Redick would be cut out for a radio host based on his brash, confrontational court personna at Duke. He seems to have mellowed, or perhaps we are just seeing more of his true off-court personality. Although he doesn't try to hide his world views, he is accepting of other opinions. He's intelligent, well-prepared and colorful. I hope he sticks with it.

He has a very well received podcast that he has been doing for several years now. Hits on topics beyond sports. It's been linked several times on this board.

He's a smart fellow. Isn't as brash as he was at 20 - strange, eh?

Native
08-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Interesting that JJ is leaving the nest of The Ringer, which had produced his podcast up until July 24. The Ringer was acquired by Spotify earlier this year for just shy of $200M (https://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-ringer-deal-price-250-million-podcasting-bill-simmons-report-2020-2). All signs indicate that podcasting will be a $1B industry (https://www.businessinsider.com/the-podcast-industry-report) by next year with plenty of room to grow.

So: why now? I wonder if JJ will try to pull a Bill Simmons and grow his property into an acquisition target for one of the bigger players. It’s possible. There aren’t too many NBA podcasts out there that are better than JJ’s.

DavidBenAkiva
08-04-2020, 08:33 AM
This is really cool. A lot of athletes transition into the world of media after their careers wrap up. Redick still has a couple of years left to play, but it's clear that he's setting his sights on life after his playing days are over. I imagine he'd be successful in or outside of the league with his work ethic and natural curiosity. I've listened to an episode or two. He's a gifted interviewer, offering insights without steering the conversation, making his guests feel comfortable sharing their point of view, and keeping the conversation interesting to the listener. You really feel like you are there with JJ and his guest. He has developed into one of the primary voices of players in the NBA to the fanbase. It's clear that he's respected and even admired by other players in the league, too. I listened to an episode with Andre Iguodala a year or two ago and was impressed by the quality of the pod. I haven't subscribed because I am behind on my own current group of podcasts, but now I feel compelled to give this a listen on a regular basis.

tbyers11
08-04-2020, 09:55 AM
This is really cool. A lot of athletes transition into the world of media after their careers wrap up. Redick still has a couple of years left to play, but it's clear that he's setting his sights on life after his playing days are over. I imagine he'd be successful in or outside of the league with his work ethic and natural curiosity. I've listened to an episode or two. He's a gifted interviewer, offering insights without steering the conversation, making his guests feel comfortable sharing their point of view, and keeping the conversation interesting to the listener. You really feel like you are there with JJ and his guest. He has developed into one of the primary voices of players in the NBA to the fanbase. It's clear that he's respected and even admired by other players in the league, too. I listened to an episode with Andre Iguodala a year or two ago and was impressed by the quality of the pod. I haven't subscribed because I am behind on my own current group of podcasts, but now I feel compelled to give this a listen on a regular basis.

JJ has really improved as a podcaster throughout his run of 100 podcasts. Since COVID-19 quarantine his podcast has been one of my must listens. If you don't have time to go through all of his recent podcasts I highly recommend the episode with Patrick Beverley that dropped on July 16th. It was a great look into motivation, work ethic, and preparation from 2 NBA players.