PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico State Pre-game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Lost to Ohio last night, 80-72. Had a rough night from long range, 6-28, if this box score is to be believed. Should be an uptempo game in Cameron, however.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=273130195

Olympic Fan
11-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow ... the loss at Ohio was a shocker.

New Mexico State is supposed to be pretty good this season. They have three starters back off a team that won 25 games last season and they are the preseason favorite in the WAC (ahead of a Nevada team that's been pretty darn good the last few years).

Plus they are big ... really big.

Their returning core is 6-4 junior PG Fred Peete, 6-7 big guard Justin Hawkins (who averaged 15.6 ppg. last season) and 6-9 Hatila Passos. 7-1 Martin Iti (who transferred from Charlotte) came off the bench last year, but is also an option to start this year.

A lot of the optimism for this year comes from two newcomers -- 6-9 freshman Herb Pope was a top 25 recruit from Pittsburgh. And 6-4 juco transfer Paris Carter was a second-team juco All-American.

The new coach Marvin Menzies replaced Reggie Theus when he left for the NBA. Menzies is a Rick Pitino protege and would like to run and force tempo.

It will be interesting to see if he tries that Monday ... and also to see how big he chooses to go -- he could go 7-1, 6-9, 6-8 up front with a 6-7, 6-4 backcourt.

Indoor66
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow ... the loss at Ohio was a shocker.

New Mexico State is supposed to be pretty good this season. They have three starters back off a team that won 25 games last season and they are the preseason favorite in the WAC (ahead of a Nevada team that's been pretty darn good the last few years).

Plus they are big ... really big.

Their returning core is 6-4 junior PG Fred Peete, 6-7 big guard Justin Hawkins (who averaged 15.6 ppg. last season) and 6-9 Hatila Passos. 7-1 Martin Iti (who transferred from Charlotte) came off the bench last year, but is also an option to start this year.

A lot of the optimism for this year comes from two newcomers -- 6-9 freshman Herb Pope was a top 25 recruit from Pittsburgh. And 6-4 juco transfer Paris Carter was a second-team juco All-American.

The new coach Marvin Menzies replaced Reggie Theus when he left for the NBA. Menzies is a Rick Pitino protege and would like to run and force tempo.

It will be interesting to see if he tries that Monday ... and also to see how big he chooses to go -- he could go 7-1, 6-9, 6-8 up front with a 6-7, 6-4 backcourt.

If so they better shoot and rebound real well or they will get run of the court with that lineup.

Carlos
11-10-2007, 10:43 AM
O-Fan - Pope's been sidelined by the NCAA Clearinghouse. I'm betting he's not going to be available for the game at Duke and I'd even wager that he's won't see the court at all this year.

Troublemaker
11-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Ohio was a 3-pt favorite against NMSU. Ohio is expected to contend for the MAC championship this season so I don't think NMSU losing there is that surprising.

Ignatius07
11-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Wasn't Pope shot at some party recently (within the past year)? Does that have anything to do with why he's not playing?

Carlos
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes and no. He was shot but he's recovered and can play but there are some transcript issues which are keeping him off the floor.

chuckywang
11-11-2007, 04:23 AM
Ohio was a 3-pt favorite against NMSU. Ohio is expected to contend for the MAC championship this season so I don't think NMSU losing there is that surprising.

Agreed. Ohio has been a pretty formidable mid-major for a few years now.

Bob Green
11-11-2007, 05:25 AM
NMSU will bring size to the court something that Duke hasn't experienced yet this year. It will be interesting to see how our full court press performs against a larger line-up. Will they pass over the top of our traps? NCCU, Barton, & Shaw were smaller line-ups but NMSU will be bigger than Duke except when Zoubek is on the court. This could be a game where Zoubek plays increased minutes if he can avoid foul trouble. That's a nice segue to this question: How much zone will we play? This is a good early season match-up as NMSU represents the type of team we could see in the early rounds of the NCAA tournament.

Lavabe
11-11-2007, 05:49 AM
As per Indoor66's comments, I wonder how soon before Nolan "Richardson" and the 40 minutes of hell wears down the Devils' opponents? In other words, how's THEIR bench?

WOW! :eek: Wondering about an opponent's bench, and not our own! I could get into this!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Next thing you know, we'll be sporting the Tarkanian Amoeba Defense.:eek:

Indoor66
11-11-2007, 08:28 AM
As per Indoor66's comments, I wonder how soon before Nolan "Richardson" and the 40 minutes of hell wears down the Devils' opponents? In other words, how's THEIR bench?

WOW! :eek: Wondering about an opponent's bench, and not our own! I could get into this!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Next thing you know, we'll be sporting the Tarkanian Amoeba Defense.:eek:

Pleeeese - no more Richardson or Tarkanian analogies. It is early Sunday morning here! :)

ohioguy2
11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Agreed. Ohio has been a pretty formidable mid-major for a few years now.

A lose by almost anyone playing at Ohio is not a shocker--always tough to beat in Athens.

Karl Beem
11-11-2007, 09:59 AM
A lose by almost anyone playing at Ohio is not a shocker--always tough to beat in Athens.

Athens is where I became a college BB fan.

Olympic Fan
11-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the update on Pope ... I was wondering why he didn't play Friday night. I obviously know nothing about his situation, but knowing how the NCAA works, I think it unlikely that if he's ineligible Friday night, he'd be eligible for Monday night.

Their other touted newcomer (Paris Carter) had a horrible shooting night at Ohio as did Peete, their other perimeter gunner. Iti was not much of a factor. Based solely on the box score, the only guy who played well was 6-7 small forward (that's the position he played at Ohio) Justin Hawkins.

It will be interesting to see G Henderson match up with him ... or will D Nelson take him?

Oriole Way
11-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Anyone care to offer predictions on a final score?

lavell12
11-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Prediction

Duke 112
NMST 63

Singler 23
Henderson 18
Nelson 17

Nittany Devil
11-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so I'll mention that ESPN Insider in tandem with Blue Ribbon Yearbook has a free preview with their report on New Mexico State:
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=3038960&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3038960

I found it a little surprising to see how highly New Mexico State is graded by them in all four categories: B+ to A-. I have a feeling that this game could be a little more challenging than some Duke fans expect, though I still expect Duke to win by a decent margin.

Bob Green
11-12-2007, 04:45 AM
Based solely on the box score, the only guy who played well was 6-7 small forward (that's the position he played at Ohio) Justin Hawkins.

It will be interesting to see G Henderson match up with him ... or will D Nelson take him?

Containing Hawkins will definitely be a priority for our defense. He played 37 minutes in the game against Ohio so while Henderson and/or Nelson will guard him as starters, who takes over when the substituting starts? I would guess Scheyer. McClure, if he is healthy enough to play, is a prime candidate.

It will be interesting to see who starts for Duke. Everybody played a good game against NCCU, but I'm wondering if King or Scheyer, who both played exceptional, earned a start with their performance? I think it is possible but I will not go as far as saying it is probable. NMSU is big so does Zoubek start? I doubt it. At this point, I comfortable with all our players. The scenarios and combinations are endless.

I'm not going to try to predict the final score or how many points individual players will tally because I would just be guessing. I believe NMSU is talented and will stay close throughout the first half but our pressure and their short rotation will result in a Duke victory by a significant margin. I will communicate a couple of hopes: 1) I hope Zoubek stays out of foul trouble and makes a difference defensively; 2) I hope 5+ players score in double-digits; 3) I hope 10 players log double-digit minutes; 4) I hope we force turnovers while not turning it over ourselves; 5) and, I hope we make our free throws. Oh yeah, most important, I hope we win!!!

I think that's enough even though I could go on!

mehmattski
11-12-2007, 09:38 AM
In the DBR preview, it was mentioned that the NM St coach is a disciple of Rick Pitino and wondered if that meant he would press and run. Well, one piece of evidence is that there were 74 possessions in Fridays NMSt-Ohio game. Last year's Division I average tempo was 67 possessions (Duke averaged 64 and had 84 possessions last night). Of course, one game is not much to go on, and it's unclear if the fast pace in the NMSt-Ohio game was due to NM St running, or Ohio, but it's one piece of evidence suggesting that NMSt could try a fast game.

Considering they could give Duke match-up problems in half-court defense, I don't consider that a wise move, though. I'm excited to see our team perform against taller opponents.

Indoor66
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I think that's enough even though I could go on!

Your retired now and allowed to "go on". It is not my dime you're spending. :D

duketaylor
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
is Duke -15 or -17, depending on which pub/bookmaker you look to.
Love to see an over/under, probably around 160+.
NMSU will fullcourt press and try to run, should be a very fast-paced game, very high-scoring (by at least one team;)

Troublemaker
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Prediction

Duke 112
NMST 63

Singler 23
Henderson 18
Nelson 17

That won't happen. NMSU is a tournament team from last season and they opened as "only" 17-pt underdogs (currently at 18). I do expect Duke to win and cover but a 50-pt victory would mean Duke starts the season waaay better than even I expected, and I think I'm in the 95th percentile as far as Duke expectations this season (Ozzie is 100th percentile).

Troublemaker
11-12-2007, 11:59 AM
NMSU will fullcourt press and try to run, should be a very fast-paced game, very high-scoring (by at least one team;)

I'm very interested in the total as well. Many, many of Duke's totals from last season were in the 130s, deservedly, of course, due to Duke's pace and offensive struggles. We'll see if Vegas has caught on to Duke's change in style this season. It wouldn't shock me if they opened it 150 or below just based on last season's totals. I kinda wish this was the first game and the Duke-NCCU game (which was unlined b/c NCCU wasn't Div I last season) had occurred later on in the season. The 120 points by Duke probably tipped them off, haha.

mehmattski
11-12-2007, 12:03 PM
That won't happen. NMSU is a tournament team from last season and they opened as "only" 17-pt underdogs (currently at 18). I do expect Duke to win and cover but a 50-pt victory would mean Duke starts the season waaay better than even I expected, and I think I'm in the 95th percentile as far as Duke expectations this season (Ozzie is 100th percentile).

You realize that Ozzie being in the 100th percentile for Duke expectations means that he's more optimistic than 100% of Duke fans, including himself...

Obviously we're all waiting to see what Duke shows against better competion. Next week in Maui will be an even better test, but I just think this is a stepping stone.

Duke 98
NMSt 68

Singler 24
Scheyer 18
Henderson 17

Troublemaker
11-12-2007, 12:07 PM
You realize that Ozzie being in the 100th percentile for Duke expectations means that he's more optimistic than 100% of Duke fans, including himself...

Obviously we're all waiting to see what Duke shows against better competion. Next week in Maui will be an even better test, but I just think this is a stepping stone.

Duke 98
NMSt 68

Singler 24
Scheyer 18
Henderson 17

Whoops, but I think it's true nonetheless about Ozzie, as he constantly continues to become more optimistic as time passes.

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 12:08 PM

My head is spinning. We're getting into "could Jesus could a burrito so hot" territory.

Troublemaker
11-12-2007, 01:00 PM

dt, it just got released in the 152/152.5/153 area. It should be in the mid to high 150s by gametime.

MulletMan
11-12-2007, 01:17 PM
dt, it just got released in the 152/152.5/153 area. It should be in the mid to high 150s by gametime.

Duke 110
NMSU 77

I'd put money on the over like there's no tomorrow. Now... if I only had money...

OldPhiKap
11-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Duke 88
NM St. 71

This ain't Shaw.

Fish80
11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Relatively close first half, Duke up 50-40 at halftime.

Blow the lid off the second half, finish 120 - 80.

Take it to the bank.

captmojo
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I've not seen NMSU this year so an accurate score prediction can't come from me but I do see a Duke win based on stats. I think we can all predict Duke wins with free throw shooting staying above 80% as it was against NCCU. Rip 'em up!

VaDukie
11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Duke 88
NM St. 71

This ain't Shaw.

I agree. This team worries me a little. If we blow them out like some are predicting I'll be very impressed.

Duke 90, NM St. 75

EarlJam
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree. This team worries me a little. If we blow them out like some are predicting I'll be very impressed.

Duke 90, NM St. 75

No way Duke gives up 70+ points.

88-52

-Optimistic EarlJam

dukelion
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
This will be a great early seson test.

Duke 84
Aggies 69

Singler 18
King 18
Henderson 14
Nelson 12
Scheyer 10
Paulus 6 (8 assists, one TO)

Johnny B
11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Duke 104,

NMS 71

mgtr
11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, I hope you optimistic guys are right. I would love to see Duke run away with this one. I think it will tell us a lot about the future of our team. I am also an optimist, but think that if we are +25, we will have done a good job. We are getting close to finding out!

jzp5079
11-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Paulus... or Smith?

Bets are on Paulus but maybe we'll be surprised?

And who is taking our jump balls?

Zoubs if he starts... but if he dosn't? Lance? Henderson?

Oriole Way
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know if Herb Pope is going to be eligible for tonight's game?

pamtar
11-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Could someone fill me in on McClure's status. I thought he would be ready by now.

dkbaseball
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Is Marty in the doghouse or something? Incredible that he didn't get in first half after the way he played last game.

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Is Marty in the doghouse or something? Incredible that he didn't get in first half after the way he played last game.

In DBR chat, Jumbo said, and I quote, "how soon before someone on the board complains about Marty's minutes? My money is 'before the game is even over.'"

Jumbo
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
In DBR chat, Jumbo said, and I quote, "how soon before someone on the board complains about Marty's minutes? My money is 'before the game is even over.'"

I did indeed say that. I can't believe Duke's up 47-26 and that's what we're dealing with. Here's an answer: Duke has five better guards.

EarlJam
11-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Paulus is really doing a good job. No turnovers, right? Multiple assists? Six points?

delfrio
11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Most disturbing stat so far...

Use of the word "orientate" by ESPN commentators: 2

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I did indeed say that. I can't believe Duke's up 47-26 and that's what we're dealing with. Here's an answer: Duke has five better guards.

I just wanted to register my disgust at Michael Thompson not getting more PT.

captmojo
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Paulus is really doing a good job. No turnovers, right? Multiple assists? Six points?

I think he's got one. If not, he handled it badly on the last possession.

Off to see 2nd half.

dkbaseball
11-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Here's an answer: Duke has five better guards

Not on the basis of what I saw in the last game. I'm sorry, but this is not the time of season to be shortening the bench. As you said, 47-26 at halftime.

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, but this is not the time of season to be shortening the bench.

We played ten guys. Short bench?

Duvall
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
We played ten guys. Short bench?

Pocius is in now - disaster averted.

Jumbo
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Not on the basis of what I saw in the last game. I'm sorry, but this is not the time of season to be shortening the bench. As you said, 47-26 at halftime.

Playing one fewer guy in your rotation is really "shortening the bench?" Duke constantly rotated nine guys in the first half. Five of those guys were guards. It's hard enough to find enough time for those five. I feel bad for Marty, but I don't think this is exactly hurting the team. Why does anyone feel the need to whine about this?

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Pocius is in now - disaster averted.

Good, now we might win by 30 instead of 20.

I think the Dow might go back up to 14K as well.

dkbaseball
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Why does anyone feel the need to whine about this?

Pretty simple: because it's not right that a guy with talent doesn't get to play. It grates on my sense of team harmony. The guy makes things happen, as he is now in the process of demonstrating.

devilpride79
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
why isnt he sheyer starting

_Gary
11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Good, now we might win by 30 instead of 20.

I think the Dow might go back up to 14K as well.

Well I hope we aren't going to go in the other direction and start dissing the guy via sarcasm. That would seem to be just as egregious as complaining about him not getting minutes in the first half. Let's just be happy when all our guys succeed, ok?

Duvall
11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Pretty simple: because it's not right that a guy with talent doesn't get to play. The guy makes things happen, as he is now in the process of demonstrating.

Unfortunately, the things he makes happen include fouls and turnovers.

_Gary
11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately, the things he makes happen include fouls and turnovers.

As I was saying... :rolleyes:

JBDuke
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
why isnt he sheyer starting

First of all, it's "Jon", not "John". Second'', it's "Scheyer", not "sheyer". Third, he's not starting because Coach K thinks he's better coming off the bench for some reason.

Duvall
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
As I was saying... :rolleyes:

It was an observation, not an insult.

sandinmyshoes
11-12-2007, 08:36 PM
The half court offense has not looked that good. But the defense has been so great that there has been little need for set offense. The break looks very sharp. Impressive overall.

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Well I hope we aren't going to go in the other direction and start dissing the guy via sarcasm.

I'm not dissing Marty at all. I'm poking fun at the fetishizing of him that goes on here on the board. But I suspect you're actually capable of realizing that.

_Gary
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm not dissing Marty at all. I'm poking fun at the fetishizing of him that goes on here on the board. But I suspect you're actually capable of realizing that.

No, I think it's a very easy trap to fall into. Go to the other extreme to prove a point. But in this case we should all be rooting for every Duke player and even if it's done to kinda rib a fellow poster, I'd prefer we not do it. Just my two cents.

freedevil
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
This just in, Inside Carolina is hilarious to read... if you like to see what's wrong with the internet generation.