PDA

View Full Version : ACC announces fall sports plans

jimsumner
07-29-2020, 04:38 PM
Probably deserves own thread.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

CameronBlue
07-29-2020, 04:44 PM

https://theacc.com/news/2020/7/29/general-acc-announces-plans-for-football-and-fall-olympic-sports.aspx

No mention of whether the games will be open to the public or does the proviso "if public health guidance allows" cover public attendance as well?

dukelifer
07-29-2020, 04:46 PM

So how does this work? Duke announced yesterday that there will be no events on campus.

“No in-person public events will be permitted on the Duke campus until further notice. This includes performances, concerts, lectures, reunions, alumni and development programs, conferences, symposia, tours, board meetings and any other event to which individuals who are not Duke students, faculty or staff would be invited or expected to attend. “

So will the opposing team and staff need to be temporarily employed by Duke to be permitted to play- or will Duke play home games off campus

jimsumner
07-29-2020, 04:48 PM
So how does this work? Duke announced yesterday that there will be no events on campus.

“No in-person public events will be permitted on the Duke campus until further notice. This includes performances, concerts, lectures, reunions, alumni and development programs, conferences, symposia, tours, board meetings and any other event to which individuals who are not Duke students, faculty or staff would be invited or expected to attend. “

So will the opposing team and staff need to be temporarily employed by Duke to be permitted to play- or will Duke play home games off campus

Rock, meet hard place.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2020, 04:51 PM
This is humorous.
Or sad.
Or both.

The mighty dollar.

Acymetric
07-29-2020, 04:54 PM

Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

This probably deserves its own thread.

budwom
07-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Ha, someone in the ACC office needs to read a newspaper. Best o' luck with this "plan."

OZZIE4DUKE
07-29-2020, 05:03 PM
ACC Winter and Spring Olympic Sports:

Competition in the sports of swimming and diving, indoor track and field and fencing will be postponed until at least September 10
Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled

Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?

hallcity
07-29-2020, 05:06 PM
"As we look ahead to the fall, the safety of our students, staff and overall campus community continues to be our top priority,” said Kent Syverud, Chancellor of Syracuse University and the Chair of the ACC Board of Directors.

What massive self-deception. You don't even think about playing football games if safety is truly your top priority.

I predict this whole thing comes down in smoke and ash before the end of September. I hope no one has to die.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?

Golf and tennis go year round, though the schedule is generally much lighter in the fall and for tennis the fall is just a few tournaments, not head-to-head matchups.

PackMan97
07-29-2020, 05:13 PM
LOL! Good luck.

My prediction: This will not end well.

SamHouston
07-29-2020, 05:16 PM
I cannot believe President Price is in favor of this plan. I do not think Duke will be playing football this Fall. The scientists in the room do not project that the virus will be under control in the next weeks. In the end, I bet Duke considers the long term "forty year decision" and follows the Ivy League and defers competition.

Sam Houston. Out.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2020, 05:18 PM
LOL! Good luck.

My prediction: This will not end well.

Let's hope sane heads end it before it doesn't end well.

AustinDevil
07-29-2020, 05:43 PM
I'm not going to comment on the pandemic/public safety aspects of this, because that has already been well covered. And the Notre Dame aspect leaves me wanting to know if they are sharing their NBC revenue with the conference.

But the 10+1 model is pretty crazy. Each school is supposed to just decide which non-conference games they will drop? And what if their opponents also are under unusual rules? What if Georgia wants to drop Virginia but Virginia doesn't want to drop Georgia? What about the G5 or FCS lawsuits for canceled money games?

Phredd3
07-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Golf and tennis go year round, though the schedule is generally much lighter in the fall and for tennis the fall is just a few tournaments, not head-to-head matchups.

Softball typically plays a limited competitive schedule in the fall, as well, although the games are not counted in the season standings.

devildeac
07-29-2020, 05:47 PM
*Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

*All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions

Fascinating. If, of course, *any* FB games are played.

Acymetric
07-29-2020, 05:52 PM
And the Notre Dame aspect leaves me wanting to know if they are sharing their NBC revenue with the conference.

All TV revenue will be shared, including Notre Dame.

AustinDevil
07-29-2020, 05:52 PM
*Notre Dame will also play a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Football Championship Game

*All television revenue for the 2020 season, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC, will be shared equally by all 15 institutions

I overlooked the ND revenue piece. That's fascinating *and* a big win for the conference--even if the games are not played.

chrishoke
07-29-2020, 05:59 PM
All they are doing is keeping their options open.

PackMan97
07-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Let's hope sane heads end it before it doesn't end well.

I think a lot of the schools are wanting someone else to be the bad guy, that way they can at least say "we tried".

I'm not sure which part of this data says, "Let's cancel the ACCT and NCAAT back in March, but do football this fall"

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/north-carolina/

hallcity
07-29-2020, 06:11 PM
How will they do a championship game without divisions? I thought the ACC had put forward a proposal to allow this but it got voted down. Is it because they’ll have fewer than 12 regular season games so for NCAA purposes it won’t officially be a conference championship game?

DU82
07-29-2020, 06:14 PM
How will they do a championship game without divisions? I thought the ACC had put forward a proposal to allow this but it got voted down. Is it because they’ll have fewer than 12 regular season games so for NCAA purposes it won’t officially be a conference championship game?

The Big 12, which of course has ten teams, got the rule changed so they could hold a championship game. (Before you needed 12.) They have the top two teams in the standings play.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2020, 06:26 PM
The Big 12, which of course has ten teams, got the rule changed so they could hold a championship game. (Before you needed 12.) They have the top two teams in the standings play.

Who plays when multiple teams are 2-0 and the season gets shut down? I go with the one with prettiest colors.
We're in, Chapel Cheaters are out, and then it's a fashion show.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2020, 06:27 PM
I’ve brought this up before, but — let’s look at Syracuse’s schedule and the games that may be impacted by New York’s quarantine requirements:

Home

Boston College
Duke — do we have to quarantine in NY for the 14 days before the game?
Georgia Tech — same?
North Carolina State — same?
Wake Forest — same?

Away

Clemson — does Syracuse have to quarantine upon returning from this game for 14 days?
Louisville — or this one?
North Carolina — same?
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh — same (I think)?

Of their 10-game schedule, only two (BC and ND) are against non-quarantine state teams as of today. North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania (I think) and Kentucky are all on the list.

chrishoke
07-29-2020, 06:28 PM
Blue Devil Nation
@BlueDevilNation
𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎 𝐔𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐝𝐮𝐥𝐞 Duke Football (no dates)

𝙃𝙤𝙢𝙚
Boston College
Florida State
North Carolina
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

𝘼𝙬𝙖𝙮
Georgia Tech
NC State
Notre Dame
Syracuse
Virginia

One out of conference game to be added.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-29-2020, 07:13 PM
I’ve brought this up before, but — let’s look at Syracuse’s schedule and the games that may be impacted by New York’s quarantine requirements:

Home

Boston College
Duke — do we have to quarantine in NY for the 14 days before the game?
Georgia Tech — same?
North Carolina State — same?
Wake Forest — same?

Away

Clemson — does Syracuse have to quarantine upon returning from this game for 14 days?
Louisville — or this one?
North Carolina — same?
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh — same (I think)?

Of their 10-game schedule, only two (BC and ND) are against non-quarantine state teams as of today. North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania (I think) and Kentucky are all on the list.

You are totally correct in your questioning, but one switch - for NY, Indiana is a quarantine state, PA is not. Kentucky was just added this week. Check out the map in the attached article.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/more-states-may-land-on-ny-quarantine-list-appalled-cuomo-launches-probe-into-packed-li-concert/2537336/

Tooold
07-29-2020, 07:14 PM
So will fall sports teams be filled solely with freshmen and sophomores? Because we already learned that juniors and seniors will not be allowed on campus. Or will there be an exception for all student athletes. Just wondering......

sagegrouse
07-29-2020, 07:18 PM
Notre Dame has infiltrated the ACC hierarchy:

AD's Kevin White and Bubba Cunningham were at Notre Dame.

WF President Nathan Hatch was provost at ND -- a Catholic at a Baptist institution? The horror! Actually, it's the other way around. He was the first senior executive at Notre Dame who was Protestant.

Surely there are lots of links with Boston College -- aside, of course, from the fact that they hate each other (one is Jesuit, one is not).

I'm still doing research.

jimsumner
07-29-2020, 07:23 PM
I think this is the out clause.

"As a league, we understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information evolves in conjunction with local and state health guidelines.' "

If COVID-19 disappears or significantly improves, then the ACC has a framework in place. If it doesn't and six weeks from now we're still looking at high infection rates, travel bans, shut downs and so forth, then the league can say they at least tried.

In other words, it's easier to start and then stop then it is to try and put something together at the last minute.

But that said I'll be absolutely gob-smacked if the ACC has an 11-game schedule, followed by a league championship.

dukelifer
07-29-2020, 07:27 PM
I think this is the out clause.

"As a league, we understand the need to stay flexible and be prepared to adjust as medical information evolves in conjunction with local and state health guidelines.' "

If COVID-19 disappears or significantly improves, then the ACC has a framework in place. If it doesn't and six weeks from now we're still looking at high infection rates, travel bans, shut downs and so forth, then the league can say they at least tried.

In other words, it's easier to start and then stop then it is to try and put something together at the last minute.

But that said I'll be absolutely gob-smacked if the ACC has an 11-game schedule, followed by a league championship.
If it goes as planned- Duke has a good shot as they are used to playing with no fans in the stands ;)

OldPhiKap
07-29-2020, 07:44 PM
You are totally correct in your questioning, but one switch - for NY, Indiana is a quarantine state, PA is not. Kentucky was just added this week. Check out the map in the attached article.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/more-states-may-land-on-ny-quarantine-list-appalled-cuomo-launches-probe-into-packed-li-concert/2537336/

Thanks for the correction!

stals
07-29-2020, 07:54 PM
regardless of class.

roywhite
07-29-2020, 08:10 PM
I may have missed it; did the ACC have anything to say about fan attendance at games?

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2020, 09:02 PM
I may have missed it; did the ACC have anything to say about fan attendance at games?

IF they allowed fans in the stands, would you go?
Keep in mind you are not interacting with the people hopefully 6 feet away from you, but also with those in the line for the rest rooms, the concessions, and the crowd at the gate, and everyone in between those points.

dukelifer
07-29-2020, 09:06 PM

That will likely be determined by schools and will depend on where things stand come September. At this point Duke is not allowing outsiders on campus for events.

-jk
07-29-2020, 09:46 PM
That will likely be determined by schools and will depend on where things stand come September. At this point Duke is not allowing outsiders on campus for events.

But is a ticket holder an “outsider”? I’m sure they could find some wiggle room if they wanted to.

-jk

BlueDevil16
07-29-2020, 09:48 PM

Considering ND makes less money on their NBC contract than ACC schools do with ESPN, this isn’t a win unless there’s something not being shared yet.

sagegrouse
07-29-2020, 10:01 PM

Whenever I attended games, I was basically by myself or with my immediate family -- unless I sat with Bob Green.

-jk
07-29-2020, 10:12 PM
Considering ND makes less money on their NBC contract than ACC schools do with ESPN, this isn’t a win unless there’s something not being shared yet.

Is that football to football or ND football to ESPN/ACC Network everything? Because I think ND also gets a (reduced) share of the ESPN/ACC Network stuff.

-jk

roywhite
07-29-2020, 10:15 PM
IF they allowed fans in the stands, would you go?
Keep in mind you are not interacting with the people hopefully 6 feet away from you, but also with those in the line for the rest rooms, the concessions, and the crowd at the gate, and everyone in between those points.

Probably wouldn't go, but I have seldom attended games in person, mostly just for convenience and the ability to watch Duke and other games from home. I wouldn't rule out attending a game, say under the circumstances of joining some old friends attending a particular game.

And perhaps things are markedly different with public health concerns come October or November. Probably not, but who knows for sure?

Acymetric
07-29-2020, 10:37 PM

Per game? That would be surprising to me if true.

Edit: This is actually true, apparently, but not significantly so. Back of the envelope math, payouts for each school might drop by about $500,000 and Notre Dame would see their revenue increase by ~$6-7 million.

devildeac
07-29-2020, 10:51 PM
Probably wouldn't go, but I have seldom attended games in person, mostly just for convenience and the ability to watch Duke and other games from home. I wouldn't rule out attending a game, say under the circumstances of joining some old friends attending a particular game.

And perhaps things are markedly different with public health concerns come October or November. Probably not, but who knows for sure?

Yes, you're invited to join us anytime/whenever Duke FB resumes;).

duke2x
07-29-2020, 11:25 PM
ACC Winter and Spring Olympic Sports:

Competition in the sports of swimming and diving, indoor track and field and fencing will be postponed until at least September 10
Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled

Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall? Good thing these are spring sports, since their fall competition is cancelled. Or do they play exhibitions in the fall?

Most spring sports play some type of fall ball to prep for the early February outside start. It's not required for every sport; Dino just starts the season very early instead, and he does pretty well.

I will agree this is a last ditch effort, and I don't see this season happening with the problems MLB is having. FB/MBB ticket sales combined provide 8 figures in revenue just like the TV split. We drop @Pitt and @Miami and add BC, FSU, and @Syracuse.

BlueDevil16
07-29-2020, 11:30 PM
Per game? That would be surprising to me if true.

Edit: This is actually true, apparently, but not significantly so. Back of the envelope math, payouts for each school might drop by about $500,000 and Notre Dame would see their revenue increase by ~$6-7 million.

Which makes me wonder why the ACC offered this without anything in return (extra conference games or extension of current deal) unless 1) ESPN is throwing in a little extra money to make everyone whole Or 2) most of the ND away games will be on the ACC Network as a way to boost subscribers

duke2x
07-30-2020, 12:06 AM
Which makes me wonder why the ACC offered this without anything in return (extra conference games or extension of current deal) unless 1) ESPN is throwing in a little extra money to make everyone whole Or 2) most of the ND away games will be on the ACC Network as a way to boost subscribers

I see more panic on the part of ND, BC, and Syracuse. The ACC and ND already lost multiple big games when the Big 10 and Pac 12 cancelled. ND lost WI, Stanford, and @USC. VT lost PSU. BC and Syracuse lost 2 home games each against lesser opponents. Syracuse has no home ticket revenue unless it can move home games to NJ, CT, or VT.

With Disney attendance and ESPN viewing way down, I think the desire for Disney to keep all the big $ games is pretty clear. Clemson adds Miami and VT. ND adds FSU. Duke and the other private schools won't get past the ACC Network or the leftover Fox Sports South spot. It's no different from Duke and Syracuse playing extra home-home series in basketball whenever possible.

Bluedog
07-30-2020, 08:21 AM
Duke is making all students sign an agreement/compact upon entry for the semester that they will not leave the area at all and will not have any guests...I guess this doesn't apply to athletes?!? Wholly inconsistent. But I think I still agree with it for now because better to have a plan and back out than have no plan if situations improve (unlikely of course).

camion
07-30-2020, 09:10 AM
Duke is making all students sign an agreement/compact upon entry for the semester that they will not leave the area at all and will not have any guests...I guess this doesn't apply to athletes?!? Wholly inconsistent. But I think I still agree with it for now because better to have a plan and back out than have no plan if situations improve (unlikely of course).

Agree. It's generally easier to stop something you've started than to start something you've stopped.

Also, it's good to have the checks for the first semester housing and such in the bank.

Bluedog
07-30-2020, 09:36 AM
I've seen some academics deride this decision (not just specific to Duke but elsewhere too) claiming it shows universities prioritize athletes and give preferential treatment to those students. Then, there's another perspective (more prevalent on this site given it's a sports fan site) that says it shows that universities don't care about their athletes and just care about the money. So, both of those perspectives generally disagree with the proposal, but attribute the decision-making to seemingly opposite motivating factors! (i.e. caring too much vs. not at all about athletes). Pretty humorous if you ask me. Funny how perspectives can differ. Of course, those aren't the only two POVs that exist - I'd bet if you polled the football players themselves they overwhelmingly want to play.

PackMan97
07-30-2020, 09:53 AM
I've seen some academics deride this decision (not just specific to Duke but elsewhere too) claiming it shows universities prioritize athletes and give preferential treatment to those students. Then, there's another perspective (more prevalent on this site given it's a sports fan site) that says it shows that universities don't care about their athletes and just care about the money. So, both of those perspectives generally disagree with the proposal, but attribute the decision-making to seemingly opposite motivating factors! (i.e. caring too much vs. not at all about athletes). Pretty humorous if you ask me. Funny how perspectives can differ. Of course, those aren't the only two POVs that exist - I'd bet if you polled the football players themselves they overwhelmingly want to play.

Or you can combine it into one grand unified theory of money.

Universities care about their athletes so much as their ability to bring in the money.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2020, 11:14 AM

Universities care about their athletes so much as their ability to bring in the money.

This is the correct answer. It's money over academics, money over health and safety. It's @$#&+# disgusting.

If it is really just some dang simple that it comes down to the money these "student" athletes make the college, quit pretending that they are fairly compensated.

Teton Jack
07-30-2020, 11:50 AM
We can wring our hands over the role of money in athletics, education, health care, food, society, etc. but, hey, it's football season. Are you going to attend any games this year - with your mask, social distancing, hand sanitizers, Lysol spray and friends/family or not?

I plan on going to a game. Go Duke!

jimsumner
07-30-2020, 11:56 AM

I believe Stephen Hawking was working on that when he died.

Big-time sports keeps reminding me of Cabaret. Money, money, money. Makes the world go around.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2020, 12:00 PM
We can wring our hands over the role of money in athletics, education, health care, food, society, etc. but, hey, it's football season. Are you going to attend any games this year - with your mask, social distancing, hand sanitizers, Lysol spray and friends/family or not?

No sir. I will happily watch from home, root for Duke, and decry the insanity of the situation.

duke2x
07-30-2020, 12:00 PM

The Magic 8 Ball says: Ask again later. I would have gone to most to all of them this year before COVID-19. (I need Miami football to complete the football-basketball ACC cycle.) I really would like to go the Big 4 games at least. We only get the @NCSU game 1 time every 12 years, and they haven't beaten us since 2008, a major sticking point with some of them.

dukelifer
07-30-2020, 12:08 PM

At present no outsiders can come to campus for games. This would need to change to have a home game with fans at Duke.

uh_no
07-30-2020, 12:23 PM
At present no outsiders can come to campus for games. This would need to change to have a home game with fans at Duke.

given that, I wonder if they will invite staff/students/faculty so long as they stay socially distant and wear masks.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2020, 12:30 PM
The Magic 8 Ball says: Ask again later. I would have gone to most to all of them this year before COVID-19. (I need Miami football to complete the football-basketball ACC cycle.) I really would like to go the Big 4 games at least. We only get the @NCSU game 1 time every 12 years, and they haven't beaten us since 2008, a major sticking point with some of them.

In the revamped schedule, Miami is off our list this year.

devildeac
07-30-2020, 12:33 PM

acc officials still might find a way to gift them the W.

(yep, still too soon and I'm still a bit steamed about it :mad:)

Sixthman
07-30-2020, 12:38 PM

Our only sure win. It's not fair.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Also the UVA game moved from a home game to an away game. Without fans in either stadium, not sure that makes much of a difference.

dukelifer
07-30-2020, 02:12 PM
given that, I wonder if they will invite staff/students/faculty so long as they stay socially distant and wear masks.

I see no reason why not- given the lack of activities on campus- students may actually show up.

dball
07-30-2020, 02:59 PM
I overlooked the ND revenue piece. That's fascinating *and* a big win for the conference--even if the games are not played.

Probably a win/win. ACC only sharing in the one ND out of conference game. ND should actually make more from 5 extra ACC contests than under the NBC contract. ACC gains 5 extra televised games.

Unless I am interpreting the announcement incorrectly.

Acymetric
07-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Probably a win/win. ACC only sharing in the one ND out of conference game. ND should actually make more from 5 extra ACC contests than under the NBC contract. ACC gains 5 extra televised games.

Unless I am interpreting the announcement incorrectly.

I think it is more of a win/neutral at least in the short term. Notre Dame should end up a few mil richer. The ACC schools likely will lose out on around $500,000 each (although those are based on prior years' numbers, no idea how everything going on will impact those payments this year if there ends up being a season). It is probably a win/win in the long run if it is a precursor to Notre Dame joining as a full-time member, at least financially.