PDA

View Full Version : Zion leaves the bubble for family medical situation

duke96
07-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Hope all works out ok

www.nypost.com/2020/07/16/zion-williamson-suddenly-leaves-nba-bubble-for-family-emergency

mattman91
07-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Prayers for the Williamson family!

DoubleBlue
07-20-2020, 04:32 PM
No further details available yet...

Pelicans giving space to Zion Williamson while away from the team
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/07/19/pelicans-giving-space-to-zion-williamson-while-away-from-the-team/

J.J. Redick, Williamson’s teammate on the Pelicans, said Thursday on his podcast that he felt awful for him as Williamson appeared to be in a good place prior to leaving the team.

"I reached out to Zion and I told him we’re going to do our best to hold it down for him until he gets back, whenever that is. As a teammate, he is a family member so we’ll do our best to keep this thing rolling. Whatever is going on, we want the best for him. I feel awful for him because so much of this season has been a rollercoaster for him and it seemed like he was in such a good place so, hopefully, we get him back soon."

Of course, his undisclosed family medical matter takes precedence over playing basketball and the Pelicans have seemingly given Williamson the space needed during this time.

The Pelicans will play their first scrimmage game on Wednesday vs. the Brooklyn Nets.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-20-2020, 05:02 PM
No further details available yet...

Pelicans giving space to Zion Williamson while away from the team
https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/07/19/pelicans-giving-space-to-zion-williamson-while-away-from-the-team/

I absolutely respect Zion's right to privacy. The mere fact that we haven't heard a peep about the reason suggests others are respectful of that too. Nice surprise. Let's Zion disclose on his own timetable if he wishes.

duke96
07-20-2020, 11:49 PM
I absolutely respect Zion's right to privacy. The mere fact that we haven't heard a peep about the reason suggests others are respectful of that too. Nice surprise. Let's Zion disclose on his own timetable if he wishes.

Agree completely. Frankly, surprising and somewhat encouraging in this day and age that he could receive such privacy. Hope it keeps up for as long as he and his family want it to.

budwom
07-21-2020, 07:45 AM
I just hope that eventually he can get beyond the various distractions surrounding him so he can concentrate on developing his immense talent...

rtnorthrup
07-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Saw that the Pelicans signed Sindarius Thornwell (yep, the Duke killer). I hope that is not a sign that Zion isn't coming back.

Class of '94
07-22-2020, 10:48 AM
I just hope that eventually he can get beyond the various distractions surrounding him so he can concentrate on developing his immense talent...

I agree; but if it's a health-related family issue, it's hard to avoid those types of "distractions". I hope he and his family are able to resolve this soon with a positive outcome; and make it back to Orlando. If not, Zion will have the entire summer to workout and continue honing his body and skills in prep for next season.

DoubleBlue
07-22-2020, 06:15 PM
No timetable for Zion Williamson's return to Pelicans
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/zion-williamson-return-pelicans-timetable/29tcm84mdw3v1idrnjlgtzub6

"[Williamson] has been getting tested daily for COVID-19 while away from the team and continues to produce negative results," the Pelicans said in a statement. "While there is no current timetable for his return to campus, he fully intends to rejoin the team."

JasonEvans
07-22-2020, 07:14 PM
No timetable for Zion Williamson's return to Pelicans
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/zion-williamson-return-pelicans-timetable/29tcm84mdw3v1idrnjlgtzub6

I am trying to recall... how long does he have to stay in the bubble before he can play in games? I think it is 7 or 8 days. If so, he only has a couple days left before he starts missing games.

Acymetric
07-22-2020, 07:56 PM
I am trying to recall... how long does he have to stay in the bubble before he can play in games? I think it is 7 or 8 days. If so, he only has a couple days left before he starts missing games.

It has sounded to me like he was going to miss some time all along, so that wouldn't be surprising.

plimnko
07-22-2020, 08:45 PM
I copied this from a July 17th article on cbssports.com

Anyone entering the Orlando "bubble" is required to quarantine for up to 48 hours until they register two negative COVID-19 tests. Any players who leave the bubble environment would undergo quarantine of up to 10 days upon their return to Disney, and will need to register two negative tests as well as an antibody test before returning to play.

I remember reading somewhere it would take 4 days if or when Zion returns, but don't quote me.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-22-2020, 11:06 PM
From WRAL SportsFan site:

ZION UPDATEZion Williamson could still make re-opening night of the NBA season.
The Pelicans said Wednesday that Williamson, who left the NBA bubble last week for a family matter, is being tested daily for the coronavirus and continues showing negative results. If that continues, Williamson may have to quarantine for only four days when he returns to the team.
And if that return comes in the next few days, that means he could still have a shot of playing when New Orleans faces Utah on July 30 in the first of the 88 seeding games at Disney.
“While there is no current timetable for his return to campus, he fully intends to rejoin the team,” the Pelicans said in a statement. “Per NBA protocol, his quarantine period will be determined upon his return.”
The minimum quarantine Williamson would have to serve for leaving, even though he was officially excused, is the four-day option.

gep
07-22-2020, 11:11 PM
From WRAL SportsFan site:

The minimum quarantine Williamson would have to serve for leaving, even though he was officially excused, is the four-day option.

What is this... the 4-day is an "option"? What would be the other "options"... :confused:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-23-2020, 04:40 AM
What is this... the 4-day is an "option"? What would be the other "options"... :confused:

My understanding is that the four day scenario is only on the table if Zion tests negative each day he is gone.

gep
07-23-2020, 01:09 PM
My understanding is that the four day scenario is only on the table if Zion tests negative each day he is gone.

Thanks... I obviously don’t know the details of the rules:confused:

SouthernDukie
07-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Right, and so far he has. Fingers crossed.

duke96
07-23-2020, 05:06 PM
Not sure what thread this should go in, but the story (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/zion-williamson-younger-brother-inspires-150728897.html) linked on the front page about Nike taking Zion's brother's doodle to create a shoe is so cool. And its a great looking shoe!

PensDevil
07-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Reports out now that Zion has returned to the bubble today (7/24).

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/pelicans-zion-williamson-returns-to-bubble-friday/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-24-2020, 08:30 PM
Happy to see he should be back for real games. Happier that the populous has given him privacy for his family issues.

JetpackJesus
07-24-2020, 11:38 PM
Not sure what thread this should go in, but the story (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/zion-williamson-younger-brother-inspires-150728897.html) linked on the front page about Nike taking Zion's brother's doodle to create a shoe is so cool. And its a great looking shoe!

It is a great shoe. I was going to lament the fact I could never buy it because it's got the Jumpman on it, but then I saw the price and realized that the brand isn't the only reason I'll never buy it.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/w.xhoXmfWSEssmODuqIBaQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTYwMA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/GnIsw5iGuR8SltKmp0xhUA--~B/aD0xMjUwO3c9MjAwMDtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/footwear_news_642/56e7720d2eefd897b8f735d0e2bfc67c

CameronBornAndBred
07-25-2020, 12:05 AM
It is a great shoe. I was going to lament the fact I could never buy it because it's got the Jumpman on it, but then I saw the price and realized that the brand isn't the only reason I'll never buy it.
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/w.xhoXmfWSEssmODuqIBaQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTYwMA--/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/GnIsw5iGuR8SltKmp0xhUA--~B/aD0xMjUwO3c9MjAwMDtzbT0xO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/footwear_news_642/56e7720d2eefd897b8f735d0e2bfc67c

I'll sell you a pair of plain white sneakers and a color Sharpie pack for $50.

subzero02
07-25-2020, 05:24 AM

The color scheme and graffiti pattern scream 90's fashion abomination... that said, a pair of these would probably be a pretty good investment as a collector's item.

Indoor66
07-25-2020, 07:58 AM
The color scheme and graffiti pattern scream 90's fashion abomination... that said, a pair of these would probably be a pretty good investment as a collector's item.

Because nobody will wear them?

plimnko
07-25-2020, 08:40 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29532945/zion-williamson-reenters-nba-bubble-family-matter-begin-quarantine

SouthernDukie
07-28-2020, 03:18 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29532945/zion-williamson-reenters-nba-bubble-family-matter-begin-quarantine

Fingers crossed that we get to see Zion on Thursday. Of course his long-term health is of upmost importance, but I'm hoping he's in good enough shape to play against the Jazz.

UrinalCake
07-28-2020, 09:18 PM
Fingers crossed that we get to see Zion on Thursday. Of course his long-term health is of upmost importance, but I'm hoping he's in good enough shape to play against the Jazz.

Zion himself did not have covid, nor did he have any sort of medical issue that we are aware of. I would assume he's fully healthy to play, he just has to clear all of the necessary protocols for anyone reentering the bubble.

SouthernDukie
07-28-2020, 10:42 PM
Zion himself did not have covid, nor did he have any sort of medical issue that we are aware of. I would assume he's fully healthy to play, he just has to clear all of the necessary protocols for anyone reentering the bubble.

I know that. I was only referring to Zion being ready for an actual game after being away from the team and not having the benefit of any of the 3 “preseason” games.

BlueDevilStop
07-29-2020, 11:56 AM
So glad he's back! Can't wait to see him back in action.

plimnko
07-29-2020, 07:36 PM
saw on espn, he is a game time decision tomorrow

sagegrouse
07-29-2020, 10:35 PM
saw on espn, he is a game time decision tomorrow

Hah! Coach's trick.

SouthernDukie
07-29-2020, 11:28 PM
Hah! Coach's trick.

Indeed. Zion will play tomorrow.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2020, 12:04 AM
Indeed. Zion will play tomorrow.

Let's be honest, part of the reason they set up this restart like they did is so that the masses can see more Zion. The NBA is hoping and praying they work their way into a playoff spot.

He was never not playing tomorrow.

subzero02
07-30-2020, 02:59 AM
Because nobody will wear them?

No one will ever wear them, buy them, accept them as a gift, or be caught dead in them... in 20 years, these shoes will be albino alligator rare.

subzero02
07-30-2020, 03:21 AM
Let's be honest, part of the reason they set up this restart like they did is so that the masses can see more Zion. The NBA is hoping and praying they work their way into a playoff spot.

He was never not playing tomorrow.

They prayed with the left hand while writing the Pelicans the easiest schedule amongst bubble teams with the right hand. Only 2 of their 8 games are against teams that currently sit above the 8th seed. If the Pelicans finish the season with an overall winning percentage that is top 9 in the West or better, and they are within 4 games of the 8th seed, they will force a one or two game play-in scenario for the playoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-remaining-schedules-lakers-have-third-toughest-slate-pelicans-face-easiest-path-with-no-8-seed-in-sight/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2020, 07:17 AM
Happy Zion Second Debut Day!

Travis
07-30-2020, 07:43 AM
They prayed with the left hand while writing the Pelicans the easiest schedule amongst bubble teams with the right hand. Only 2 of their 8 games are against teams that currently sit above the 8th seed. If the Pelicans finish the season with an overall winning percentage that is top 9 in the West or better, and they are within 4 games of the 8th seed, they will force a one or two game play-in scenario for the playoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-remaining-schedules-lakers-have-third-toughest-slate-pelicans-face-easiest-path-with-no-8-seed-in-sight/

Giving the Pelicans an easy schedule in the bubble reflected that they would have had the easiest schedule down the stretch outside the bubble. The fact that the Pelicans schedule was so front-loaded was a reasonable argument for not just taking the top eight teams at the time the season was put on hiatus. The winning percentage of their opponents in the bubble is actually higher than the winning percentage of their remaining opponents in the remainder of the original season.

I completely agree that the format was motivated, at least in part, by giving the Pelicans and Zion a chance to make the playoffs, but I don't agree that the schedule itself was manipulated.

Travis

SouthernDukie
07-30-2020, 08:57 AM
Giving the Pelicans an easy schedule in the bubble reflected that they would have had the easiest schedule down the stretch outside the bubble. The fact that the Pelicans schedule was so front-loaded was a reasonable argument for not just taking the top eight teams at the time the season was put on hiatus. The winning percentage of their opponents in the bubble is actually higher than the winning percentage of their remaining opponents in the remainder of the original season.

I completely agree that the format was motivated, at least in part, by giving the Pelicans and Zion a chance to make the playoffs, but I don't agree that the schedule itself was manipulated.

Travis

Bingo, Travis. The Pelicans end of year schedule was already going to be easier (their schedule had been front-loaded) so there’s nothing sinister in them getting the “easier” schedule for this restart. That’s only fair.

DukieInKansas
07-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Travis

Bingo, Travis. The Pelicans end of year schedule was already going to be easier (their schedule had been front-loaded) so there’s nothing sinister in them getting the “easier” schedule for this restart. That’s only fair.

You two obviously aren't Carolina fans - your responses are way to logical. The easy schedule is really because of Duke - we get all the breaks and all the calls. ;)

SouthernDukie
07-30-2020, 10:28 AM
You two obviously aren't Carolina fans

To that charge I gladly, and loudly, proclaim my guilt. :D

Acymetric
07-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Any news floating around about whether Zion is going to play tonight? The last I heard is that he participated in a shootaround this morning but his status for tonight's game is undecided.

subzero02
07-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Any news floating around about whether Zion is going to play tonight? The last I heard is that he participated in a shootaround this morning but his status for tonight's game is undecided.

Zion is playing and has 5 points. The time outside the bubble wasn't good for his physique or stamina. He committed a charge and put forth a poor defensive effort on a fast break layup by Ingles.

AGDukesky
07-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Good last few minutes for the Duke guys. Zion now with 9, Ingram with 12 and Redick with 8.

hallcity
07-30-2020, 07:32 PM
I’d like to see a lot more of Zion. I thought he was healthy and in good shape.

duke96
07-30-2020, 07:38 PM
Zion is playing and has 5 points. The time outside the bubble wasn't good for his physique or stamina. He committed a charge and put forth a poor defensive effort on a fast break layup by Ingles.

In 9 days you think he got out of shape?

subzero02
07-30-2020, 07:53 PM
In 9 days you think he got out of shape?

He played 6 minutes 35 seconds in the first half. I don''t know what his conditioning was like before he left the bubble but I do know it's far from ideal now. His build was a lot more defined when he entered the bubble compared to how he looks now. So far he has 1 foul and 9 points on 4 of 4 fgs. New Orleans has done quite well with him on the bench largely due to Ingram's dominant offensive performance.

duke96
07-30-2020, 08:49 PM
He played 6 minutes 35 seconds in the first half. I don''t know what his conditioning was like before he left the bubble but I do know it's far from ideal now. His build was a lot more defined when he entered the bubble compared to how he looks now. So far he has 1 foul and 9 points on 4 of 4 fgs. New Orleans has done quite well with him on the bench largely due to Ingram's dominant offensive performance.

I mean maybe if he ate Taco Bell all day and didn’t work out at all but I doubt it. Especially since he showed good discipline in getting in shape during the break.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2020, 08:51 PM
He is looking a step slow late in the game. It's I believe his 20th NBA game, but he has work to do.

JJ looks like a stud, and Ingram looks like he's finally learning how to use his length.

duke96
07-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Looked like Zion was limping a bit before he went out?

AGDukesky
07-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Ingram was not good down the stretch. I would have had Redick take that final shot.

rsvman
07-30-2020, 10:09 PM
Ingram was not good down the stretch. I would have had Redick take that final shot.

Easier said than done. A major part of the defensive strategy for that last segment was not to let JJ get a shot.

Ball was halfway down and then rattled out. Basketball can be cruel sometimes.

SouthernDukie
07-31-2020, 09:43 AM
Ball was halfway down and then rattled out. Basketball can be cruel sometimes.

Right. I'm not disappointed in Brandon for that shot at all. It was actually a good look and it was halfway down and popped out.

subzero02
08-01-2020, 07:09 PM
It isn't halftime yet but this game is about done; if the NBA wants to see Zion in the playoffs, something needs to change in a hurry. The Pelicans have all but given up before the midpoint. Watching an opponent hit 16 three pointers must be demoralizing but watching teammates put forth a partial effort has to be pretty demoralizing as well.

richardjackson199
08-01-2020, 07:12 PM
It isn't halftime yet but this game is about done; if the NBA wants to see Zion in the playoffs, something needs to change in a hurry. The Pelicans have all but given up before the midpoint.

This game is over.

subzero02
08-01-2020, 07:25 PM
This game is over.

I completely agree. If the Pelicans are genuinely attempting to get Zion back into gameshape via these contests, we should see him some in the 2nd half. I am interested to see if that happens.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-01-2020, 08:29 PM
It isn't halftime yet but this game is about done; if the NBA wants to see Zion in the playoffs, something needs to change in a hurry. The Pelicans have all but given up before the midpoint. Watching an opponent hit 16 three pointers must be demoralizing but watching teammates put forth a partial effort has to be pretty demoralizing as well.
Is the Pelicans game on tv tonight?

flyingdutchdevil
08-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Is the Pelicans game on tv tonight?

Was on. Got murdered by Kawhi and George.

Gentry isn’t a good coach. Period.

SouthernDukie
08-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Can I say it?

It’s Over... for Duke South. (hoping for reverse mojo)

In all seriousness, Gentry isn’t very good, but the team came out flat across the board. Just zero energy. On top of that, Zion is out of shape. Not his fault but the Pelicans couldn’t afford that if they wanted to get into the playoffs.

This team needs some retooling. Both on the court and in the coach’s chair.

roywhite
08-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Was on. Got murdered by Kawhi and George.

Gentry isn’t a good coach. Period.

A 23-point loss, and it wasn't nearly that close.

Not much good to say about the Pelicans from watching that, and that includes Zion. Ugh.

hallcity
08-01-2020, 08:45 PM
If the Pelicans can’t use Zion, can we have him back?

Steven43
08-01-2020, 08:54 PM
Can I say it?

It’s Over... for Duke South. (hoping for reverse mojo)

In all seriousness, Gentry isn’t very good, but the team came out flat across the board. Just zero energy. On top of that, Zion is out of shape. Not his fault but the Pelicans couldn’t afford that if they wanted to get into the playoffs.

This team needs some retooling. Both on the court and in the coach’s chair.
How do you know he is out of shape? Did he or his coaches say as much? I’m not offering an opinion, just wondering.

And if he is out of shape, why would that be the case? Just a few weeks ago I was hearing that he was in great shape. What’s the deal?

SouthernDukie
08-01-2020, 09:16 PM
How do you know he is out of shape? Did he or his coaches say as much? I’m not offering an opinion, just wondering.

And if he is out of shape, why would that be the case? Just a few weeks ago I was hearing that he was in great shape. What’s the deal?

I know first off because I have two good eyes. He was huffing and puffing literally a minute into the game. I also know because David Griffin admitted as much in a sideline report.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-01-2020, 09:57 PM

As much as I want to agree, he looks heavy. And he looks tired. And his legs looks shot.

I want to be wrong, but he ain't our Zion right now.

Steven43
08-01-2020, 10:12 PM
I know first off because I have two good eyes. He was huffing and puffing literally a minute into the game. I also know because David Griffin admitted as much in a sideline report.

Okay, thanks. I was not able to watch either of his recent games, so I don’t have an opinion.

I’m just confused, though, how just a few weeks ago it was being said that Zion was in “incredible shape”, and yet now he’s already out of shape? Why these extremes in such a short period of time?

I know you don’t have the answer; I’m just thinking out loud.

SouthernDukie
08-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Okay, thanks. I was not able to watch either of his recent games, so I don’t have an opinion.

I’m just confused, though, how just a few weeks ago it was being said that Zion was in “incredible shape”, and yet now he’s already out of shape? Why these extremes in such a short period of time?

I know you don’t have the answer; I’m just thinking out loud.

Honestly, I think Zion is the type that needs several weeks of five on five basketball to get into Zion basketball shape. He hasn’t had that.

Steven43
08-01-2020, 10:16 PM
As much as I want to agree, he looks heavy. And he looks tired. And his legs looks shot.

I want to be wrong, but he ain't our Zion right now.

I’m starting to think his family emergency — whatever it was or still is — has been weighing on him emotionally and is now affecting him physically.

Skydog
08-01-2020, 10:51 PM
I’m starting to think his family emergency — whatever it was or still is — has been weighing on him emotionally and is now affecting him physically.
He didn’t look very happy out there. But then neither did his teammates.

elvis14
08-01-2020, 11:12 PM
I agree with the others about Zion. He doesn't look good. It's not just that he's winded either. Their stated plan was to play him in short bursts and let him play all out while he's on the floor. If what we saw the first two games is all out, something's wrong.

Note, I'm not criticizing or trying to be harsh towards Zion. I'm just shocked, he doesn't look like the kid that dominated from day 1 for the Blue Devils. What ever is going on, I hope he works through it soon.

roywhite
08-01-2020, 11:33 PM
I agree with the others about Zion. He doesn't look good. It's not just that he's winded either. Their stated plan was to play him in short bursts and let him play all out while he's on the floor. If what we saw the first two games is all out, something's wrong.

Note, I'm not criticizing or trying to be harsh towards Zion. I'm just shocked, he doesn't look like the kid that dominated from day 1 for the Blue Devils. What ever is going on, I hope he works through it soon.

Yeah, agreed; just my .02 on this and I love Zion.

In a way, it sucks that a 20-year old young man is under a constant microscope and expected to be a superstar and face of the league before playing even half a season. But he was the #1 draft choice, has unbelievable talent, and is a joyful, charismatic guy. Unfortunately, he made a mess with his initial choice of agents, and now he faces questions about his conditioning. Going from a great appearance to huffing and puffing after a few minutes on the court, and this within 2 weeks is not a good look. His body type is such that conditioning and weight control is paramount, both in the short run and for having a long playing career.

I wish him the best and hope that he works through problem situations.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-02-2020, 07:04 AM
He didn’t look very happy out there. But then neither did his teammates.

If you look happy down forty, something isn't right.

They got whipped.

moonpie23
08-04-2020, 12:59 PM
but, they bounced back and closed it out against Memphis......