PDA

View Full Version : The "One and Done" Speculation thread

Daddylawman
07-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Given the current situation with the virus, and the real possibility that there won't be professional basketball as we know it for a while, (I'm not convinced the NBA bubble is sustainable, especially foe a 2020-21 season), I thought that we cold have another water cooler style topic.

If there is no pro ball for a while it means several potential rookies will have their NBA debuts delayed possibly for a year. This could cause a logjam of new talent going in to 2021-22. There is already reporting the the NBA is not as eager to eliminate the one and done rule as we thought they were a year ago. I speculate that the NBAPA may take this position as well. With more young talent coming into the Association at one time, more veterans will be at risk for losing their jobs. I believe thhe players are going to want to protect their own.

Yes I realize that the overall numbers don't really change, it would just be the backlog hitting at once.

If this is the case, we possibly don't see the rule go away before 2022 or '23.

So, just for fun, do you see this effecting Duke recruiting? What about K's retirement?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Given the current situation with the virus, and the real possibility that there won't be professional basketball as we know it for a while, (I'm not convinced the NBA bubble is sustainable, especially foe a 2020-21 season), I thought that we cold have another water cooler style topic.

If there is no pro ball for a while it means several potential rookies will have their NBA debuts delayed possibly for a year. This could cause a logjam of new talent going in to 2021-22. There is already reporting the the NBA is not as eager to eliminate the one and done rule as we thought they were a year ago. I speculate that the NBAPA may take this position as well. With more young talent coming into the Association at one time, more veterans will be at risk for losing their jobs. I believe thhe players are going to want to protect their own.

Yes I realize that the overall numbers don't really change, it would just be the backlog hitting at once.

If this is the case, we possibly don't see the rule go away before 2022 or '23.

So, just for fun, do you see this effecting Duke recruiting? What about K's retirement?

I suspect K will retire on his own timetable, independent of any NBA rules.

Sometime in the year 2054.

fuse
07-09-2020, 12:36 PM
If the NCAA were smart, they’d allow schools a higher scholarship number and an exemption for a year of eligibility for the 2020-2021 school year.

Since the NCAA is not smart, if sports do not happen this season, I expect the forecast one and done players to be none and done and enter the draft.

budwom
07-09-2020, 12:47 PM
If the NCAA were smart, they’d allow schools a higher scholarship number and an exemption for a year of eligibility for the 2020-2021 school year.

Since the NCAA is not smart, if sports do not happen this season, I expect the forecast one and done players to be none and done and enter the draft.

yeah, for highly rated guys, most will probably take off

OZZIE4DUKE
07-09-2020, 12:50 PM

Maybe the top schools would do that, but they are all cutting costs to reduce the budget, including Duke. So I don't think the schools' budgetary forces would be in favor of that.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

fuse
07-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Maybe the top schools would do that, but they are all cutting costs to reduce the budget, including Duke. So I don't think the schools' budgetary forces would be in favor of that.http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Fair, and good point.
I’ve not thought about the Iron Duke Legacy Fund in a while- if memory serves, there was a significant number of donors that essentially permanently endowed basketball scholarships (and maybe other financial aspects of the program).