PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks

ugadevil
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure about this but I think if the playoffs began today the Hawks would be in! I'd rather let the season play out to watch the Hawks be in the lottery again so that they can build the franchise through the draft because that's been so successful.:D

Ive watched a couple Hawks games this year though and they appear to have some potential. Going 2-2 against the teams they've played is not too bad and no team in their division looks like they're going to blow everyone away. Joe Johnson can definitely be the primary scorer, Josh Smith is emerging as an all around freak, Josh Childress is not great but still solid, and Horford and Shelden could turn out to be a good combination in the post. Point guard could still be a liability though. Maybe, just maybe they're starting to head in the right direction? Probably just wishful thinking.

Channing
11-09-2007, 04:06 PM
when I looked over the schedule preseason I thought their first 5 games was going to be their toughest stretch. To be sitting at 2-2 (should be 3-1 . . . shoulda woulda coulda) with one more game to play in this stretch has got to be a good feeling for the team.

It is exciting, in and of itself, to be able to make a sentence mentioning the Hawks and not having to mention absolute futility.

colchar
11-09-2007, 04:15 PM
It is exciting, in and of itself, to be able to make a sentence mentioning the Hawks and not having to mention absolute futility.

Give it time. The season is still young.

ugadevil
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
ESPN.com has an article up about NBA playoff chances. Don't look now but the Hawks have 60% odds of getting in!

EarlJam
12-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Give it time. The season is still young.

A few weeks ago, I saw Duke play E. Kentucky in Cameron followed up by Hawks vs. Hornets later that week.

Talk about a contrast in environment and intensity. Like going from a seven course meal at a five star restaurant to the drive-through at Burger King.

The Hawks played ZERO defense, and beers were $7.50 a pop.

-EarlJam

greybeard
12-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure about this but I think if the playoffs began today the Hawks would be in! I'd rather let the season play out to watch the Hawks be in the lottery again so that they can build the franchise through the draft because that's been so successful.:D

Ive watched a couple Hawks games this year though and they appear to have some potential. Going 2-2 against the teams they've played is not too bad and no team in their division looks like they're going to blow everyone away. Joe Johnson can definitely be the primary scorer, Josh Smith is emerging as an all around freak, Josh Childress is not great but still solid, and Horford and Shelden could turn out to be a good combination in the post. Point guard could still be a liability though. Maybe, just maybe they're starting to head in the right direction? Probably just wishful thinking.

If the Hawks are in the lottery again, you are probably gonna scratch your eyeballs out, or BK's and Gearon's. See, they insisted on trading that pick to get JJ, even though they had bought the pot by paying him 70 mill that Phoenix never ever would have matched.

So, read em and weep, EarlJam, there ain't no first round pick for the Hawks this year, and there never has been a passingly tenable explanation for that.

JasonEvans
12-06-2007, 08:57 PM
If the Hawks are in the lottery again, you are probably gonna scratch your eyeballs out, or BK's and Gearon's. See, they insisted on trading that pick to get JJ, even though they had bought the pot by paying him 70 mill that Phoenix never ever would have matched.

So, read em and weep, EarlJam, there ain't no first round pick for the Hawks this year, and there never has been a passingly tenable explanation for that.

The best part about trading that pick is that the thing the Hawks still depserately need is a PG and this year's draft is LOADED in PGs. Last year there were 2 PGs taken in the lottery, this year there may be 6 in the lottery. There are at least 4 or 5 PG prospects in this current draft who are better PG prospects than Mike Conley.

And the Hawks will get NONE of them!!

--Jason "worst. management. EVER!!" Evans

Lavabe
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
If I were a selfish Hawks fan, I'd want an established point guard...

Anyone seen Mr. Duhon?

OOOOOHHH!

Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
12-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Like going from a seven course meal at a five star restaurant to the drive-through at Burger King.

-EarlJam

It isn't nice to insult Burger King like that...

Channing
12-06-2007, 09:24 PM
If I were a selfish Hawks fan, I'd want an established point guard...

Anyone seen Mr. Duhon?

OOOOOHHH!

Cheers,
Lavabe

The '04 draft was a nightmare for the Hawks. First they took Josh Childress (who is an OK role player) instead of Luol . . . and then they drafter Royale Ivey over Duhon in the second round when Duhon and Duke dominated Ivey and UTex that year.

I think they also took Solomon Jones (or someone) over Keith Bogans.

tommy
12-06-2007, 11:02 PM
The best part about trading that pick is that the thing the Hawks still depserately need is a PG and this year's draft is LOADED in PGs. Last year there were 2 PGs taken in the lottery, this year there may be 6 in the lottery. There are at least 4 or 5 PG prospects in this current draft who are better PG prospects than Mike Conley.

And the Hawks will get NONE of them!!

--Jason "worst. management. EVER!!" Evans

If it wasn't for Jimmy-boy Dolan and Isiah "I've royally screwed up every job I've ever had" Thomas, I'd agree with you. Neither the Knicks nor the Hawks have much today, but I like the Hawks' roster in 2-3 years better than the Knicks', which will be terrible.

Lavabe
12-07-2007, 03:52 AM
The '04 draft was a nightmare for the Hawks. First they took Josh Childress (who is an OK role player) instead of Luol . . . and then they drafter Royale Ivey over Duhon in the second round when Duhon and Duke dominated Ivey and UTex that year.

I think they also took Solomon Jones (or someone) over Keith Bogans.

Most of the Atlanta Sportstalk shows view Shelden as a bust. Rashown was viewed that way as well. And Laettner didn't have a great career here. Rather discouraging when there's no on-air support for them, but especially with Shelden.

I fear for Shelden on the Hawks. 12 min/game, 2.6 rebounds/game, 2.6 pts/game.

My favorite bad Hawks draft was the one they picked Deion Glover & Jumaine Jones (both in the first round).

Ycch.

Cheers,
Lavabe

ugadevil
12-07-2007, 10:11 AM
The ironic thing is that the Eastern Conference is so bad that the Hawks don't have to have a point guard or a dominant low post player, and they still are a middle of the pack team in the East and have a chance to make the playoffs.

ugadevil
04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Who's bought their playoff tickets for the Hawks yet?!?! I think they're peaking at the right time.:D I'm going to the Hawks/Celtics game in a couple weeks. Hope to see other rabid Hawks fans there!

JasonEvans
04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Who's bought their playoff tickets for the Hawks yet?!?! I think they're peaking at the right time.:D I'm going to the Hawks/Celtics game in a couple weeks. Hope to see other rabid Hawks fans there!

I'll give you 2-to-1 on the Hawks not taking a single game off the Celtics. Not one game. They will lose 3-to-0 in the series and none of the games will be in doubt with 2 minutes to go.

--Jason "don't be fooled, the Hawks stink a lot" evans

Channing
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
The Hawks only draft pick this year is in the second round. I would be thrilled to see them take Sean Singletary.

ugadevil
04-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I'll give you 2-to-1 on the Hawks not taking a single game off the Celtics. Not one game. They will lose 3-to-0 in the series and none of the games will be in doubt with 2 minutes to go.

--Jason "don't be fooled, the Hawks stink a lot" evans

Ahhh yes. But, I'm not talking about that game. The Hawks play Boston on April 12th at the highlight factory. I'm not sure that one will be competitive either, but it'll be fun. They'll probably get swept in the playoffs, but maybe they'll beat them in Boston's meaningless regular season game.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
"They just traded for a better PG in Mike Bibby (sorry Duhon)"

I almost posted that before I realized this thread had been brought back up from the depths of 2007...

Channing
04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I guess this site was put up by the Hawks PR team - looks like they are laying the full court press to get Horford the ROY. I admit I was skeptical when we chose him - but I am skeptical of every Hawks pick. However, he has bee a legit player and could be a solid piece of this team if they can continue to move in the right direction.

I think I saw on sportscenter the hawks have won 10 of 13. When was the last time that happened? The Mookie Blaylock and Steve Smith Days? Perhaps back in the Doc, Spud, and Nique days?

JasonEvans
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I think I saw on sportscenter the hawks have won 10 of 13. When was the last time that happened? The Mookie Blaylock and Steve Smith Days? Perhaps back in the Doc, Spud, and Nique days?

The Hawks recent success is a terrible thing as it probably will save both Billy Knight and especially Mike Woodson's jobs. With Woodson steering the ship, this franchise will never be more than mediocre.

--Jason "the Hawks will be smashed, trashed, and crushed by Boston in round 1" Evans

Channing
04-06-2008, 12:52 PM
The Hawks recent success is a terrible thing as it probably will save both Billy Knight and especially Mike Woodson's jobs. With Woodson steering the ship, this franchise will never be more than mediocre.

--Jason "the Hawks will be smashed, trashed, and crushed by Boston in round 1" Evans

at least it will lessen the sting a little of losing first round pick in this loaded draft to Phoenix. That was such a terrible move. Phx was never going to match the contract we offered Joe Johnson.