PDA

View Full Version : Swofford Announces Plans for Retirement

DukieInKansas
06-25-2020, 10:55 AM
Just saw this: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article243787022.html

Thoughts?

devildeac
06-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Just saw this: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article243787022.html

Thoughts?

My first is:

Ahhh, see ya!

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-25-2020, 11:06 AM
I’d hate to lose K as coach but can you imagine the heartburn it would give every cheat fan if he were to become commish? I know it ain’t gonna happen but it sure would be entertaining.

jv001
06-25-2020, 11:13 AM
I’d hate to lose K as coach but can you imagine the heartburn it would give every cheat fan if he were to become commish? I know it ain’t gonna happen but it sure would be entertaining.

Christian Laettner is my choice. Now that would upset some people but he'd be a worthy choice.

GoDuke!

ChillinDuke
06-25-2020, 11:21 AM
I thought Swofford did a good job holding the ACC together during that pivotal summer of realignment (summer, year, whatever it was). There was a real chance that the ACC would get picked clean by other conferences. But he was able to pull off (1) adding Syracuse and Pitt for fit and stability, which were good outcomes, (2) adding Louisville for scale and reach, which was a questionable move, (3) losing only Maryland, which was unfortunate but whatever screw them, (4) pacifying Va Tech, NC State/UNC, FSU into not leaving, (5) achieving a Grant of Rights, which to my understanding is highly prohibitive to programs leaving, and (6) adding Notre Dame as a full member and partial/rotating football member, perhaps the biggest achievement during that time.

Other than that singular era of realignment, I haven't cared for Swofford and haven't seen him do much (or enough) to improve the ACC's standing versus other conferences. In particular, in football, I've been somewhat discouraged by his inability to get the conference pulling stronger in the same direction.

All things considered, I look forward to the next commissioner and won't lose much sleep over Swoffy.

- Chillin

howardlander
06-25-2020, 11:36 AM
(3) losing only Maryland, which was unfortunate but whatever screw them

- Chillin

I agree with all except the above. The Maryland fan behavior was completely beyond the bounds of what is, after all, just entertainment. They are the B1G's problem now. Oh, yeah I do agree with the "screw them" part.

ChillinDuke
06-25-2020, 11:53 AM
I agree with all except the above. The Maryland fan behavior was completely beyond the bounds of what is, after all, just entertainment. They are the B1G's problem now. Oh, yeah I do agree with the "screw them" part.

I get it. And I agree with the characterization of their fans. I dislike Maryland strongly, don't get me wrong - I actually hate Maryland, at least in basketball.

But at the end of the day, Maryland was a founding member of the ACC with great basketball tradition (and still strong program), a logical footprint for the conference, and a "loyal" fanbase (amongst other descriptors). While I suspect there are plenty of other current ACC schools that the Old Guard on the Board would have been happy to see leave, Maryland was unfortunate. And I can say it's unfortunate and still believe their fan behavior is often out of bounds. The two feelings aren't mutually exclusive for me.

Swofford's accomplishment was stopping the bleeding at Maryland because that was objectively a tougher loss for the conference than, say, BC which (1) was not a founding member, (2) has very minimal basketball tradition to speak of (and a fairly bad program at the moment), (3) sits in a relatively illogical footprint, and (4) has no fanbase that I can discern. Losing Maryland was a head-turner, I'm sure, for many schools. Swofford kept the ship afloat, and for that he deserves credit. Other than realignment, meh.

- Chillin

PackMan97
06-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Christian Laettner is my choice. Now that would upset some people but he'd be a worthy choice.

GoDuke!

I literally do not care as long as it is not a CHeater or anyone associated with institutions that share many commonalities with the CHeaters, such as Kansas or ESPN (like Jay Bilas).

UrinalCake
06-25-2020, 12:30 PM
Maybe the next commissioner will finally be willing to launch a conference investigation into UNC’s decades of cheating, starting with the athletic director at UNC when all the cheating started. That person of course was John Swofford.

duke2x
06-25-2020, 02:34 PM
I literally do not care as long as it is not a CHeater or anyone associated with institutions that share many commonalities with the CHeaters, such as Kansas or ESPN (like Jay Bilas).

The ACC has a history of looking internally for its heads. Swofford had UNC ties as we know. Corrigan had Duke and UVA ties. The next one really needs to come from outside the ACC.

Native
06-25-2020, 03:28 PM
Christian Laettner is my choice. Now that would upset some people but he'd be a worthy choice!

See also: Battier, Shane.

uh_no
06-25-2020, 03:34 PM
See also: Battier, Shane.

Jay Bilas thinks Jay Bilas is the right choice :D

sagegrouse
06-25-2020, 04:40 PM
It will be likely be an ACC current or former athletic director that everyone else likes.

Here's the list:
Jim Weaver, Wake Forest AD
Bob James, Air Force Acad. AD, Mid-American commissioner
Gene Corrigan (Duke undergrad), UVA and then Notre Dame AD
John Swofford, UNC AD

Well, three out of four ain't bad.

OldPhiKap
06-25-2020, 04:44 PM
There's only one obvious choice as the next commissioner:

Ozzie.

chrishoke
06-25-2020, 05:14 PM
Who are the African American candidates that should be considered?

TKG
06-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Which Cheat alum will be named as the next Commissioner?

TKG
06-25-2020, 05:36 PM

As Native mentioned upthread, Shane Battier.

sagegrouse
06-25-2020, 05:44 PM

Well, there are three African-Americans serving as AD's in the ACC:

Martin Jarmond, BC
Stan Wilcox. FSU
Carla Williams, UVa

Heather Lyke is also AD at Pitt.

Kindly,
Sage
'I had forgotten that Duke legacy Boo Corrigan was the AD at State'

devildeac
06-25-2020, 06:40 PM
There's only one obvious choice as the next commissioner:

Ozzie.

I am devildeac and I endorse this nomination.

weezie
06-25-2020, 07:16 PM
I am devildeac and I endorse this nomination.

I'm willing to serve in Ozzie's administration. weezie the Enforcer gets a sash and a mace, right?

Indoor66
06-25-2020, 07:17 PM
I'm willing to serve in Ozzie's administration. weezie the Enforcer gets a sash and a mace, right?

Nah. Today it would be a gas mask an an AR-15.

blueprofessor
06-25-2020, 07:26 PM

Martin Jarmond, BC
Stan Wilcox. FSU
Carla Williams, UVa

Kindly,
Sage

A rare miss, perhaps the first, for sagegrouse:
David Coburn is the AD at FSU.

devildeac
06-25-2020, 07:55 PM

And a bejeweled crown!!

summerwind03
06-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Stan Wilcox was the FSU AD. He left in 2018 to become the Executive VP of regulatory affairs at the NCAA.

sagegrouse
06-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Here's what I got from the list of AD's at all NCAA schools -- Wikipedia:

Florida Gulf Coast Ken Kavanagh Florida
Florida State Stan Wilcox Florida
Fordham David Roach New York

Turns out it was two years out of date. Coburn became interim AD two years ago and permanent AD last year.

I regret the error -- it's probably not the only one.

sagegrouse
06-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Stan Wilcox was the FSU AD. He left in 2018 to become the Executive VP of regulatory affairs at the NCAA.

Ahhh, may still be a candidate for ACC commish?

msdukie
06-25-2020, 09:26 PM
Here's what I got from the list of AD's at all NCAA schools -- Wikipedia:

Florida Gulf Coast Ken Kavanagh Florida
Florida State Stan Wilcox Florida
Fordham David Roach New York

Turns out it was two years out of date. Coburn became interim AD two years ago and permanent AD last year.

I regret the error -- it's probably not the only one.

Jarmond also left BC for UCLA this offseason. Strike 2 ;)

sagegrouse
06-25-2020, 09:51 PM
Jarmond also left BC for UCLA this offseason. Strike 2 ;)

But, truly, isn't he still a possible selection as ACC Commissioner. For the record, the new BC AD is Patrick Kraft, previously at Temple.

The others on my initial list of 15 AD's seem to be correct

blueprofessor
06-25-2020, 11:39 PM
But, truly, isn't he still a possible selection as ACC Commissioner. For the record, the new BC AD is Patrick Kraft, previously at Temple.

The others on my initial list of 15 AD's seem to be correct

Perhaps, but Florida State would likely object for several reasons, especially given the severe crticism of Stan for his hiring Willie Taggart (along with the huge salary and remarkable, to put it mildly, buyout clause he approved for Coach Taggart), who, prior to FSU, where he had a 9-12 record and a highly disorganized program, his record was 47-50:
16-20 at WKU, 24-25 at USF, and 7-5 at Oregon.

Coach Taggart's reputation prior to his FSU tenure was that of being a good guy and a very good recruiter, as well as having a strong need for outstanding coordinators. This analysis was confirmed by a few West Coast voters for a position award with which I am closely associated. In fairness, most every head coach could use outstanding coordinators, whether he "needed" them or not, and the declining FSU program after Jimbo's uneven recruiting by position (for instance, offensive linemen) and his flirtation with other jobs was due for a major fall. My own contact with Coach Taggart revealed that he was a fine and generous man (who provided a number of items for banquet auction for our scholarships). I know of no one associated with FSU who does not wish him well.

PackMan97
06-26-2020, 09:27 AM
I'm gonna toss my hat in for Debbie Yow, but I think she wants to stay retired.

superdave
06-26-2020, 10:52 AM
How important is having some experience in negotiating tv contracts for the job? That would seem to be the biggest revenue generator.

I am not sure an AD job gives you that experience, but I do not know. Any insight?

devilirium
06-26-2020, 11:03 AM
I get it. And I agree with the characterization of their fans. I dislike Maryland strongly, don't get me wrong - I actually hate Maryland, at least in basketball.

But at the end of the day, Maryland was a founding member of the ACC with great basketball tradition (and still strong program), a logical footprint for the conference, and a "loyal" fanbase (amongst other descriptors). While I suspect there are plenty of other current ACC schools that the Old Guard on the Board would have been happy to see leave, Maryland was unfortunate. And I can say it's unfortunate and still believe their fan behavior is often out of bounds. The two feelings aren't mutually exclusive for me.

Swofford's accomplishment was stopping the bleeding at Maryland because that was objectively a tougher loss for the conference than, say, BC which (1) was not a founding member, (2) has very minimal basketball tradition to speak of (and a fairly bad program at the moment), (3) sits in a relatively illogical footprint, and (4) has no fanbase that I can discern. Losing Maryland was a head-turner, I'm sure, for many schools. Swofford kept the ship afloat, and for that he deserves credit. Other than realignment, meh.

- Chillin

The dirty little secret is that Debbie Yow had exhausted whatever reserves Lew Perkins and others had amassed (and then quite a bit more) to garner white hat A.D. status . It was a matter of time until Maryland would start looking, but yes credit to
Swoff for doing the above.

sagegrouse
06-26-2020, 12:09 PM
How important is having some experience in negotiating tv contracts for the job? That would seem to be the biggest revenue generator.

I am not sure an AD job gives you that experience, but I do not know. Any insight?

Well, a subset of the AD's are deeply involved in any and all of the business negotiations for the conference. Are they better than a "back-room exec" who has focused on media? I think so, but it depends on the person.

Another source would be commissioners at other conferences, such as former ACC commish Bob James.

What I thought went without saying is that a conference commissioner has a lot more job security than an AD. But I said it anyway. I mean, the ACC has had four commissioners in 66 years.

Jim Weaver 1954–1970
Bob James 1971–1987
Gene Corrigan 1987–1997
John Swofford 1997–present

As AD's go, there is Eugene "Boo" Corrigan at NC State. In addition to being the son of former commissioner Corrigan he has been these places --

2002–2004 Navy (associate AD)
2004–2008 Notre Dame (associate AD)
2008–2011 Duke (associate AD)
2011–2019 Army
2019–present NC State

Degrees from ND and VCU.

wsb3
06-26-2020, 09:46 PM
Thank you John for holding UNC accountable for all their many years of cheating. Great job.

superdave
06-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Thank you John for holding UNC accountable for all their many years of cheating. Great job.

he knew

throatybeard
06-27-2020, 04:50 PM
he knew

And rooted for it.

rsvman
06-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Maryland was a founding member of the ACC with.. a logical footprint for the conference...

Wait, what? I thought they were in Alaska!

sagegrouse
06-27-2020, 09:17 PM
The ACC has a history of looking internally for its heads. Swofford had UNC ties as we know. Corrigan had Duke and UVA ties. The next one really needs to come from outside the ACC.

There are only four. The first, Jim Weaver, was a Wake Forest guy through and through. The second, Bob James, came from outside the ACC. Both James and Weaver died in office. Gene Corrigan was AD at Notre Dame when recruited to succeed James but a Duke graduate and before ND was AD at Virginia. Swofford, a <orehead Scholar, is the only fully home-grown commissioner ('cuz Weaver went to college at Emory & Henry).

By the criteria of money, membership and media contracts I think he has done a good job.

chrishoke
06-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Martin Jarmond, BC
Stan Wilcox. FSU
Carla Williams, UVa

Kindly,
Sage

Bilas in a recent interview said that Carla Williams at UVA should be the choice.

sagegrouse
06-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Bilas in a recent interview said that Carla Williams at UVA should be the choice.

Thanks for picking this up. My earlier post should have said, "Three African-Americans have recently served as AD's int he ACC." Jarmond has just moved to UCLA and wilcox left three years ago.

brevity
06-28-2020, 04:59 PM

I just thought of the ultimate stealth candidate, hiding in plain sight.

African-American. Been at the job for nearly 40 years. Loves the camera. Moves the needle. Physically fit. Everyone has an opinion. Seems to hate all ACC teams equally, if you ask their fans, but is remembered for taking a literal stance against a whiny UNC player.

Have you guessed yet? Why, it's

Shut down the thread. And you're welcome.

JetpackJesus
06-29-2020, 05:31 AM

African-American. Been at the job for nearly 40 years. Loves the camera. Moves the needle. Physically fit. Everyone has an opinion. Seems to hate all ACC teams equally, if you ask their fans, but is remembered for taking a literal stance against a whiny UNC player.

If he takes Jamie Luckie with him in some capacity, I'm in.

cascadedevil
06-29-2020, 09:16 PM
https://ivyleague.com/news/2019/7/23/general-ivy-league-executive-director-robin-harris-named-administrator-of-the-year-by-women-leaders-in-college-sports.aspx

Come Home Robin!

sagegrouse
06-29-2020, 10:24 PM
https://ivyleague.com/news/2019/7/23/general-ivy-league-executive-director-robin-harris-named-administrator-of-the-year-by-women-leaders-in-college-sports.aspx

Come Home Robin!
Duke grad Robin Harris.

PHOENIX -- Ivy League Executive Director Robin Harris was named the 2019 Women Leaders in College Sports Jostens Association/Organization Administrator of the Year thanks to her work within college athletics and commitment towards the advancement of women in the profession.

The Administrator of the Year Award is presented to Women Leaders in College Sports members for significant contributions made as an administrator of intercollegiate athletics. Nominated by their peers and selected by the Women Leaders Awards Committee for their service during the 2018-19 academic year, the recipients were honored on Tuesday at the Jostens Administrator of the Year Luncheon at the 2019 Women Leaders National Convention in Phoenix.

duke96
06-30-2020, 02:18 PM

That is some impressive posting technology!

weezie
06-30-2020, 02:37 PM

We are very welcome and we thank you for your service. Brilliant.