PDA

View Full Version : 23 clemson football players/staff test positive for COVID-19

jimsumner
06-19-2020, 06:34 PM
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/19/clemson-athletics-coronavirus-tests-positive

I realize I could have bundled this into an existing thread but the magnitude is so stunning I thought it deserved its own thread, at least for awhile

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-19-2020, 06:39 PM
https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/19/clemson-athletics-coronavirus-tests-positive

I realize I could have bundled this into an existing thread but the magnitude is so stunning I thought it deserved its own thread, at least for awhile

This doesn't bode well for the likelihood of sports returning on schedule.

Bob Green
06-19-2020, 06:47 PM
This breaking news definitely deserves its own thread. My optimism for a 2020 college football season is very low.

camion
06-19-2020, 06:52 PM

I am not surprised this happened somewhere. I am a bit surprised it happened so soon. I was expecting things to percolate for awhile before a serious outbreak on a team was found.

Also, Clemson is a bit close, just down the road from Greenville county which is itself percolating right along.

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2020, 06:54 PM
This breaking news definitely deserves its own thread. My optimism for a 2020 college football season is very low.

It ain't gonna happen.

cato
06-19-2020, 07:00 PM

Playing football before enough people have achieved some immunity has always struck me as magical thinking. It will be very interesting to watch how this plays out.

Our kids are still young, but we are not close to getting them back to in-person sports with large teams.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2020, 07:07 PM
Playing football before enough people have achieved some immunity has always struck me as magical thinking. It will be very interesting to watch how this plays out.

Our kids are still young, but we are not close to getting them back to in-person sports with large teams.

cato
06-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Someone spork this man!

OldPhiKap
06-19-2020, 07:10 PM

roywhite
06-19-2020, 08:25 PM
From the SI article:

The athletic department said most of the total cases have been asymptomatic.

Is this really a game changer, or season changing event?

jimsumner
06-19-2020, 08:30 PM
From the SI article:

The athletic department said most of the total cases have been asymptomatic.

Is this really a game changer, or season changing event?

Two points.

1.Most isn't all.

2.Asymptomatic players can transmit this to coaches, staff, professors and officials, who might not be able to so easily shrug this off.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-19-2020, 08:33 PM
Two points.

1.Most isn't all.

2.Asymptomatic players can transmit this to coaches, staff, professors, boosters and officials, who might not be able to so easily shrug this off.

You forgot another important group...

jimsumner
06-19-2020, 09:00 PM
You forgot another important group...

I also left off media.

Tripping William
06-19-2020, 09:39 PM
I will be very interested in Dabo’s response.

sagegrouse
06-19-2020, 10:01 PM
115 players listed on Clemson roster -- 20 percent.

buddy
06-19-2020, 10:07 PM
As a society we should be able to develop a system to quarantine high risk individuals and permit those with low to no risk to continue normal life. But we are not that intelligent.

rsvman
06-19-2020, 10:48 PM
As a society we should be able to develop a system to quarantine high risk individuals and permit those with low to no risk to continue normal life. But we are not that intelligent.

It is not a matter of intelligence, but rather one of logistics and cooperation. It is, on its face, a lot more difficult than you seem to think it is, and it would require a large percentage of the people to agree to live and act in a certain way, which, as we have seen, is like herding cats.

Barnstormer
06-20-2020, 01:13 AM
A positive way of looking at is that all 23 maybe well and immune from further corona virus attacks by middle of July and ready to play and probably not transmitting the virus by that time.

chrishoke
06-20-2020, 07:02 AM
UNC has the solution. They have announced that they will not be releasing ANY information about positive tests.

budwom
06-20-2020, 07:14 AM
Schools will contort themselves to rationalize playing, because they're addicted to the TV money. I fear science takes a back seat on this one.

AustinDevil
06-20-2020, 07:25 AM
UNC has the solution. They have announced that they will not be releasing ANY information about positive tests.

The Carolina Way. I heard some SEC school(s) made the same announcement. Tennessee, maybe?

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-20-2020, 08:32 AM
This is incredibly offensive. An aggressively policy focused statement like this has no place on this board.

OldPhiKap
06-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Better yet, they won’t make any of the athletes take a test at all. Just like academics.

rsvman
06-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Better yet, they won’t make any of the athletes take a test at all. Just like academics.

Not to worry. Tests will not be available for any of the regular students, either. In other words, this lack of testing is equally available, so it is not a problem.

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Well they've never been to keen on releasing info about negative testing either, so might as well keep it square.

Neals384
06-20-2020, 10:52 AM

Well, duh. If no one takes tests there are no results to release.

dukelifer
06-20-2020, 11:02 AM

Surprised they are even having their athletes take tests- that seems to be a reversal of a long standing policy at UNC.

dukelifer
06-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Two points.

1.Most isn't all.

2.Asymptomatic players can transmit this to coaches, staff, professors and officials, who might not be able to so easily shrug this off.

This is sign of things to come on college campuses come Fall. This virus spreads easily and believe it or not- college kids do not always follow the rules.

DukieInKansas
06-20-2020, 12:13 PM
This is sign of things to come on college campuses come Fall. This virus spreads easily and believe it or not- college kids do not always follow the rules.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

camion
06-20-2020, 12:16 PM

I am shocked! SHOCKED I say!!!

arnie
06-20-2020, 12:26 PM
Surprised they are even having their athletes take tests- that seems to be a reversal of a long standing policy at UNC.

They figured out a way to give each athlete A negative test result without them showing up for the test.

budwom
06-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Let the "our student athletes are our top priority" contortions begin. Pinocchio would be proud. They'll find a way to "safely" play even if people die from it.

Pghdukie
06-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Bleacher Report is saying LSU has 30 players under quarantine.

Bob Green
06-20-2020, 04:42 PM

Here is a link to Sports Illustrated reporting the same:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/20/lsu-football-players-quarantined-coronavirus

Tripping William
06-20-2020, 04:44 PM
Here is a link to Sports Illustrated reporting the same:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/20/lsu-football-players-quarantined-coronavirus

It’s like the national title game all over again.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-20-2020, 05:20 PM
It’s like the national title game all over again.

Someone needs to remind them that this is like golf where the lowest score wins.

When they came back to school did they do any testing before they started interacting? One would have thought they would have all been tested a few days before returning. This would not have prevented an outbreak but it would have helped.

Tripping William
06-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Someone needs to remind them that this is like golf where the lowest score wins.

When they came back to school did they do any testing before they started interacting? One would have thought they would have all been tested a few days before returning. This would not have prevented an outbreak but it would have helped.

So much winning. We’ll kick it in the teeth one of these days. I’m told.

ncexnyc
06-20-2020, 07:00 PM
And here I thought you were going to say it was ok, because the virus was available to all students.

budwom
06-21-2020, 07:24 AM
as predicted earlier, watch out for the shenanigans...UCLA players demanding an independent third party oversee their health because they don't trust their coach:https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-06-19/ucla-football-players-demand-protections-amid-pandemic-return

Can't wait to see the booga booga UCLA rolls out to counter this...IMO this is just the wee tip of the iceberg...

camion
06-21-2020, 09:16 AM
as predicted earlier, watch out for the shenanigans...UCLA players demanding an independent third party oversee their health because they don't trust their coach:https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2020-06-19/ucla-football-players-demand-protections-amid-pandemic-return

Can't wait to see the booga booga UCLA rolls out to counter this...IMO this is just the wee tip of the iceberg...

What if the players vow to give their coaches a nice big hug and kiss on the cheek after every practice?

Wouldn't such a show of affection incentivize the coaches to ensure the health of their players? :)

bundabergdevil
06-21-2020, 09:33 AM

Don't blame them. Enough coaches and programs have shown enough times they have little regard for the safety of their kids/players that I wouldn't trust the staff either. Not all coaches and programs obviously but enough.

4Gen
06-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Duke didn't bring a team to the ACC tournament. Duke has been on the forefront of preventing contagion among its students. This may result from the influence of its world class scientists and physicians; its genuine concern; and more cynically, its deep pockets not necessitating sports receipts to survive. Anyway, I will be quite surprised if Duke fields fall teams this year

budwom
06-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Don't blame them. Enough coaches and programs have shown enough times they have little regard for the safety of their kids/players that I wouldn't trust the staff either. Not all coaches and programs obviously but enough.

I certainly wasn't blaming them in the least. Hope I didn't imply that.

A real bellwether (for me anyway) will be what the Ivies do about football, since they aren't addicted to TV money like FBS teams are...

bundabergdevil
06-21-2020, 10:12 AM
I certainly wasn't blaming them in the least. Hope I didn't imply that.

A real bellwether (for me anyway) will be what the Ivies do about football, since they aren't addicted to TV money like FBS teams are...

Oh no, not saying you did. I just read the article and thought “good for them”. Do t trust anyone with your health unless you’re sure of their motives.

devildeac
06-21-2020, 10:56 AM
Football season played this year with all the players wearing visors/face shields?

https://www.highgroundsports.com/best-football-visors/

I'm not advocating this, simply showing a possibility, no matter how unlikely it may be.

uh_no
06-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Duke didn't bring a team to the ACC tournament. Duke has been on the forefront of preventing contagion among its students. This may result from the influence of its world class scientists and physicians; its genuine concern; and more cynically, its deep pockets not necessitating sports receipts to survive. Anyway, I will be quite surprised if Duke fields fall teams this year

for better or worse, I suppose that the lawyers and accountants have almost as much say as the scientists, even at duke. If duke isn't playing sports this year, ESPECIALLY basketball, the athletics deficit will pale in comparison to the lost marketing.

The 16 million stipend, or whatever the university kicks in, for athletics is a steal for the amount of publicity that it drives, as well as the the subsequent alumni engagement, merchandising, and donations.

I'm not suggesting that playing would be the right call in the least....just that I find it unlikely that the well endowed nature of the university suggests that Duke will put any less weight on the views of the non-doctor-y people. If it were wholly up to the doctors, I'm sure Duke would be taking the Califonia route and have already declared an off-campus fall semester. It didn't though...likely because as such a small school Duke can't afford to have a massive number of people take some "time off," and the majority of schools who are having students return makes it less of a liability should something happen.

I assume the decision for fall sports will be similar. What are the financial impacts of playing or not? What are the liabilities should program members get sick? Can we do this in a way that largely protects our students? Who wants to bet athletes end up in the housing the university secured at the WaDuke to ensure they are almost entirely isolated from the rest of the population?

CameronBornAndBred
06-21-2020, 05:42 PM
for better or worse, I suppose that the lawyers and accountants have almost as much say as the scientists, even at duke. If duke isn't playing sports this year, ESPECIALLY basketball, the athletics deficit will pale in comparison to the lost marketing.

I was wondering if your caps key wasn't working...and then found it was. (Way off topic of course, but I'm gonna nitpick anyone who chooses to cap a whole word over the name of the school we are all here for.)

uh_no
06-21-2020, 07:08 PM
I was wondering if your caps key wasn't working...and then found it was. (Way off topic of course, but I'm gonna nitpick anyone who chooses to cap a whole word over the name of the school we are all here for.)

Which is of course, an ad-hominem argument.

If we want to go down that route, I wondered if you are unaware of the distinction between a period and an ellipsis, given you typed three of the former when the latter would have been appropriate.

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Or perhaps the university attempted to sue me for copyright infringement for capitalizing it…it seems en-vogue.

duke96
06-21-2020, 11:40 PM

If we want to go down that route, I wondered if you are unaware of the distinction between a period and an ellipsis, given you typed three of the former when the latter would have been appropriate.

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Or perhaps the university attempted to sue me for copyright infringement for capitalizing it…it seems en-vogue.

Grab your slide rules, it's a nerd fight!

CameronBornAndBred
06-22-2020, 11:46 AM

vs

(alt-0133 on windows)

Grab your slide rules, it's a nerd fight!
Hehe! And yes I'm aware of the use of a period, an ellipsis, and even a semi-colon! I don't know why, but I just love those three dots.

Ahhhhh, that felt good. :p

OldPhiKap
06-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Someone slanders the Oxford Comma, and I’m gonna cut somebody.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

jimsumner
06-22-2020, 11:51 AM
our THREADS do tend to go in weird tangets: but I wouldn't have expected this . . . one; maybe,, another ONE?

OldPhiKap
06-22-2020, 11:52 AM
our THREADS do tend to go in weird tangets: but I wouldn't have expected this . . . one; maybe,, another ONE?

Literally, this.

uh_no
06-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Hehe! And yes I'm aware of the use of a period, an ellipsis, and even a semi-colon! I don't know why, but I just love those three dots.

Ahhhhh, that felt good. :p

Literally, this.

<3 DBR.

Hope y'all are staying healthy.

johnb
06-24-2020, 04:36 PM
We can wish for the football season to start all we want, but the season and this sentence will never happily

Pghdukie
06-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Its being reported by numerous outlets that Clemson now has 37 players testing positive for coronavirus.

JasonEvans
06-27-2020, 01:40 AM
Its being reported by numerous outlets that Clemson now has 37 players testing positive for coronavirus.

Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.

superdave
06-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Well on their way to herd immunity for the football team. Then they can travel anywhere and play anyone and not worry about it. Dabo must be so proud.

Any hospitalizations?

thedukelamere
06-27-2020, 09:30 AM

I thought the same thing Jason.. how many rabid SEC football fans are actively hoping their entire squad gets it so this exact scenario plays out? Kinda reminds me of having chickenpox parties back in the day to get infected and over it.

chris13
06-27-2020, 09:50 AM

As long as they have more than Alabama I'm sure Dabo is happy.

duke2x
06-27-2020, 10:22 AM
Any hospitalizations? None reported. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29371568/14-players-test-positive-coronavirus

I thought the same thing Jason.. how many rabid SEC football fans are actively hoping their entire squad gets it so this exact scenario plays out? Kinda reminds me of having chickenpox parties back in the day to get infected and over it.

People were having COVID parties in NC a couple months ago before Governor Cooper correctly criticized the practice. I don't see student-athlete COVID parties in the near future.

uh_no
06-27-2020, 11:11 AM
None reported. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29371568/14-players-test-positive-coronavirus

People were having COVID parties in NC a couple months ago before Governor Cooper correctly criticized the practice. I don't see student-athlete COVID parties in the near future.

i just see student-athlete regular parties. the kind all the ugrads will have hen they're back on campus regardless of supposed rules.

DukieInKansas
06-27-2020, 11:34 AM
i just see student-athlete regular parties. the kind all the ugrads will have hen they're back on campus regardless of supposed rules.

This - they did what college kids do . My guess is Dabo isn't very happy with them for risking their health.

dukelifer
06-28-2020, 09:53 AM

This is very much a way to get there. It was used long ago to be able to work in South during outbreaks of Yellow Fever. If you could show immunity you would be hired. The difference here is that Covid 19 is significantly less dangerous than Yellow Fever which killed about 10-30% of those infected. As long as these kids are isolated from an elderly population and are getting health care- they may be at much more risk of serious harm by playing football than from getting this virus. That is what the data shows. Yes there are risks here, but with a population that is already accepting other risks. The key thing to watch is whether these kids are having to do this against their will- that is, are they being told directly or indirectly that their scholarships will be pulled if they fail to practice. That is a very big deal.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-28-2020, 11:03 AM
This is very much a way to get there. It was used long ago to be able to work in South during outbreaks of Yellow Fever. If you could show immunity you would be hired. The difference here is that Covid 19 is significantly less dangerous than Yellow Fever which killed about 10-30% of those infected. As long as these kids are isolated from an elderly population and are getting health care- they may be at much more risk of serious harm by playing football than from getting this virus. That is what the data shows. Yes there are risks here, but with a population that is already accepting other risks. The key thing to watch is whether these kids are having to do this against their will- that is, are they being told directly or indirectly that their scholarships will be pulled if they fail to practice. That is a very big deal.

Well, another difference is that it is still very unknown whether you can get it again. Which is a pretty important detail.

chrishoke
06-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Well, another difference is that it is still very unknown whether you can get it again. Which is a pretty important detail.

Another confounding factor is that it is still unknown what long term effects the virus may have on the body, particularly your lungs.

rsvman
06-28-2020, 01:17 PM
Not to mention that until the percentage of people who have had it gets much higher, a large part of positive antibody tests will be false positives.

dukelifer
06-28-2020, 02:21 PM

Yes- that remains a big unknown- but no vaccine is 100% effective and may not offer more than short term immunity for those who get it. Definitely much more to learn here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-28-2020, 02:27 PM
Yes- that remains a big unknown- but no vaccine is 100% effective and may not offer more than short term immunity for those who get it. Definitely much more to learn here.

Yes. Though, if a vaccine bought even just 18 months of immunity, it would allow us to get ahead of this thing. Assuming people would accept it.

Skydog
06-28-2020, 02:39 PM
Yes. Though, if a vaccine bought even just 18 months of immunity, it would allow us to get ahead of this thing. Assuming people would accept it.

I would! Me! Me!

Namtilal
06-28-2020, 09:42 PM

Add to that, there are estimates that up to a third of all Americans will refuse to be vaccinated. This might make the vaccines next to worthless and ensure that the virus is a permanent resident.

sagegrouse
06-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Add to that, there are estimates that up to a third of all Americans will refuse to be vaccinated. This might make the vaccines next to worthless and ensure that the virus is a permanent resident.

It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions will be levied against those who refuse a COVID-19 vaccination. and how much guts the individual states have.

Funny thing with respect to school-age vaccinations, the state with the toughest standards for public school students was Mississippi -- "no exceptions."

Namtilal
06-28-2020, 10:12 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions will be levied against those who refuse a COVID-19 vaccination. and how much guts the individual states have.

Funny thing with respect to school-age vaccinations, the state with the toughest standards for public school students was Mississippi -- "no exceptions."

My non-religious sister in Massachusetts only had to check the box 'religious exemption' to allow her unvaccinated children to attend public school. That loophole might have to change.

sagegrouse
06-28-2020, 10:15 PM
My non-religious sister in Massachusetts only had to check the box 'religious exemption' to allow her unvaccinated children to attend public school. That loophole might have to change.

California was a real problem, so I hear. But the measles epidemic emanating from Disneyland changed a lot of minds.

sagegrouse
06-28-2020, 10:19 PM
California was a real problem, so I hear. But the measles epidemic emanating from Disneyland changed a lot of minds.

Here is a link from the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/coverage/schoolvaxview/data-reports/coverage-trend/index.html) for vaccinations for Kindergarten-age children by state. Colorado appears to be the worst at 87.4 -- Mississippi the highest at 99.2.

On further inspection, Alaska, which had only voluntary reporting, had a rate of about 84 percent -- could be, I suppose, much lower.

tommy
06-29-2020, 11:49 PM

Seems like your comment was tongue in cheek, but perhaps it shouldn't be. I smell a rat.

I"m not saying they WANTED their guys to get the virus now, but let's think about this. Of the pretty small number of schools that have reported very high numbers of football players testing positive, three of them are Alabama, LSU, and Clemson. Those are the three top programs in the nation, or certainly three of the top four along with Ohio State. What are the chances that of all the schools that have begun practices, the three top teams are three of the small number that have come up with a lot of players testing positive? Pretty small chance in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying these schools intentionally got their kids sick, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were pretty lax about their safety protocols, with their at least being some discussion behind the scenes to the effect of "if they all just get the virus now, that's fine, cuz everyone's gonna end up getting it anyway. They're all young and otherwise healthy, so they're at a tiny, tiny risk of something like death. Let them get it, get over it, and be ready to play football again in a couple of weeks, and ready for the season." These schools NEED to play football. More than most everyone else.

Maybe I'm way off on this, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

uh_no
06-30-2020, 01:06 AM
Seems like your comment was tongue in cheek, but perhaps it shouldn't be. I smell a rat.

I"m not saying they WANTED their guys to get the virus now, but let's think about this. Of the pretty small number of schools that have reported very high numbers of football players testing positive, three of them are Alabama, LSU, and Clemson. Those are the three top programs in the nation, or certainly three of the top four along with Ohio State. What are the chances that of all the schools that have begun practices, the three top teams are three of the small number that have come up with a lot of players testing positive? Pretty small chance in my opinion. Again, I'm not saying these schools intentionally got their kids sick, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they were pretty lax about their safety protocols, with their at least being some discussion behind the scenes to the effect of "if they all just get the virus now, that's fine, cuz everyone's gonna end up getting it anyway. They're all young and otherwise healthy, so they're at a tiny, tiny risk of something like death. Let them get it, get over it, and be ready to play football again in a couple of weeks, and ready for the season." These schools NEED to play football. More than most everyone else.

Maybe I'm way off on this, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

i find it more likely to be a reporting/perception bias. The media are more likely to report on the big teams, and you're more likely to remember reading about cases on the big teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar outbreaks at other schools, and it's just not being picked up on.

duke2x
07-01-2020, 10:43 PM

I can't find a nonpartisan link that I can post here, but how about undergrad COVID exposure parties complete with gambling? If you get COVID first, you win the kitty. This is only at Alabama, but I'm sure Auburn, LSU, and Clemson students are watching.