PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Nembhard Transfers to somewhere not named Duke

DavidBenAkiva
06-11-2020, 09:14 AM
Jon Rothstein, among others, has reported that former Florida guard Andrew Nembhard is considering Duke, as well as Gonzaga and USC, as potential landing spots. Nembhard averaged 11.2 pts/5.6 assist/3.0 rebs per game last year for Florida. He's a 6'5" PG from Canada and former teammate of RJ Barrett at Montverde Academy in Florida. Nembhard is known as a versatile player that could play on or off the ball a la Quinn Cook or Grayson Allen (more of a PG than Allen, but the versatility in his role was what I was after in the comparison). Nembhard struggled shooting the ball from 3 as a sophomore, hitting just 30%, but he's a career 77% FT shooter and shot close to 35% as a freshman.

I've been thinking about the fit with Duke's roster and wanted to get a discussion going. For Duke, I see uncertainty over the guard spot. Are Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward one-and-done talents? Is Duke a serious contender for Max Christie or Trevor Keels at the SG position? What about the recruitment of Kennedy Chandler as a PG for the Class of 2021? As I think about roster spots, there is the chance that Duke loses has a serious hole at the guard position in the 2021-22. If one or both of Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward are one-and-done, then Duke will need at least one guard.

Nembhard provides flexibility. If Roach goes pro, Nembhard could be the primary PG and has booth good size, distribution, and scoring skills without dominating the ball. His usage rate at Florida was fairly low even with a very high assist rate. He had the ball in his hands but found his teammates a lot. He can also play off the ball, which means he could pair with either Roach or Kennedy Chandler in a backcourt. If the shooting comes around, he could be a very good SG and secondary ball handler in college.

What do you think about Nembhard as potential transfer option for Duke?

Music man55
06-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Hey, if the kid wants to come to Duke, I would say roll the dice and go for it. We already know what we would be getting and this day and time, who knows what kind of decision recruits might make down the road. To me, it's a win,win situation.

English
06-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Jon Rothstein, among others, has reported that former Florida guard Andrew Nembhard is considering Duke, as well as Gonzaga and USC, as potential landing spots. Nembhard averaged 11.2 pts/5.6 assist/3.0 rebs per game last year for Florida. He's a 6'5" PG from Canada and former teammate of RJ Barrett at Montverde Academy in Florida. Nembhard is known as a versatile player that could play on or off the ball a la Quinn Cook or Grayson Allen (more of a PG than Allen, but the versatility in his role was what I was after in the comparison). Nembhard struggled shooting the ball from 3 as a sophomore, hitting just 30%, but he's a career 77% FT shooter and shot close to 35% as a freshman.

I've been thinking about the fit with Duke's roster and wanted to get a discussion going. For Duke, I see uncertainty over the guard spot. Are Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward one-and-done talents? Is Duke a serious contender for Max Christie or Trevor Keels at the SG position? What about the recruitment of Kennedy Chandler as a PG for the Class of 2021? As I think about roster spots, there is the chance that Duke loses has a serious hole at the guard position in the 2021-22. If one or both of Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward are one-and-done, then Duke will need at least one guard.

Nembhard provides flexibility. If Roach goes pro, Nembhard could be the primary PG and has booth good size, distribution, and scoring skills without dominating the ball. His usage rate at Florida was fairly low even with a very high assist rate. He had the ball in his hands but found his teammates a lot. He can also play off the ball, which means he could pair with either Roach or Kennedy Chandler in a backcourt. If the shooting comes around, he could be a very good SG and secondary ball handler in college.

What do you think about Nembhard as potential transfer option for Duke?

Admittedly, I didn't watch a lot of UF games last season, so I don't have much intel on Nembhard, but I do know they woefully underperformed their talent level. How's his defense? A 6'5 PG could have the benefit of length as an on-ball defender and getting in passing lanes...or, it could be a mobility disadvantage against the smaller, quicker opposing 1's. Any insight?

scottdude8
06-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Glad to see this get it's own thread, as I brought this up in the 2021 recruiting thread and it didn't get any traction.

I'm more curious as to what this might mean for our 2021 recruiting, i.e. Kennedy Chandler. I get the sense that the program operates under the assumption that most 5* recruits will be OAD, and then is pleasantly surprised when they aren't... that's almost how you have to treat things nowadays. From what I've read and seen in various mock drafts/etc. there's a strong possibility that Roach and/or Steward are multi-year guys, but you can never have too many ball-handlers. That said, a top recruit like Chandler might cool on Duke if Nembhard transfers to us. So in my mind the question is would we rather have a third-year player in Nembhard with a year of practice, or a Top-10 freshman in Chandler, potentially running the point? I don't know as much about Chandler, but from what little I've seen from Nembhard I'd love to have him, especially with some experience, in a Duke uniform.

brlftz
06-11-2020, 10:32 AM
Anyone know why he's so keen to leave Florida? Between considering the NBA and then entering the portal, it seems like he just really wanted out, but I haven't seen anything. I would be a little concerned about what happened there.

BD80
06-11-2020, 11:27 AM
At 6'5" he could play with 2 other guards. We haven't seen this as much in recent years as we have had so many 6' 6" + players on the roster, but Coach K LOVES having multiple players who will take care of the ball in the game at the same time, particularly when protecting a lead or pressuring the ball on defense. Regardless of other recruiting/roster happenings, there will be PT available without unduly affecting another player's PT.

White is considered a good coach (perhaps not the up-and-comer many thought a few years ago) so this would be a great addition in terms of a well coached player with Power Conference experience, great versatility and high level talent. If his personality and intangibles fit into the team our staff is putting together I say "Hell yeah!"

"Is nem easy shots he's making?"

"No, nembhard!"

bullettoothtony
06-11-2020, 12:09 PM
This doesn't seem to suggest positive things about the Chandler recruitment.

scottdude8
06-11-2020, 12:33 PM

That was how I ready the tea-leaves as well... but honestly, I think having an experienced guy in Nembhard to balance out what will likely be another young team in 2021 (Joey will be the only senior, and the team could potentially have no contributing juniors assuming Wendell and Matt go pro) could be nice. Again, all this is assuming he fits the team and what K is looking for in a PG. But having a guy who would be a senior in terms of age, and have a year of practicing in K's system, helm a group with a ton of talented freshmen and sophomores could be a nice mix.

jimsumner
06-11-2020, 12:35 PM

Only if we assume Nembhard and Chandler are mutually exclusive.

jaywilliams22
06-11-2020, 01:22 PM
That was how I ready the tea-leaves as well... but honestly, I think having an experienced guy in Nembhard to balance out what will likely be another young team in 2021 (Joey will be the only senior, and the team could potentially have no contributing juniors assuming Wendell and Matt go pro) could be nice. Again, all this is assuming he fits the team and what K is looking for in a PG. But having a guy who would be a senior in terms of age, and have a year of practicing in K's system, helm a group with a ton of talented freshmen and sophomores could be a nice mix.

Count me in for a JR. Nembhard over Chandler. Chandler is a great prospect, but Nembhard has been a pretty damn good player at UF.

BlueDevil16
06-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Could also be instead of other guards the way Christie’s CB is trending

DavidBenAkiva
06-11-2020, 05:03 PM

The uncertainty of Roach and Steward is what's appealing to me about Nembhard. He's a bit like a combo guard, as is Steward to a certain degree. When I've seen Steward, I think of Nolan Smith and Daniel Ewing that can handle the ball but is looking to score. What I've seen of Nembhard reminds me more of Jon Scheyer or Quinn Cook. There are more natural point guard skills and instincts, but they could easily move off the ball if and when they have to.

And then, if both Roach and Steward go pro, Nembhard can play on or off the ball with another PG like Kennedy Chandler. I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I think he's a better fit for what Duke has and will probably need than another wing that wants to play the 2 or the 3. There are plenty of those on the roster. What Duke needs is what Nembhard has to offer.

kAzE
06-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm not 100% sold on the fit here. I like Nembhard as a point guard, but if Jeremy Roach stays for a 2nd year, I'd rather have our starting 2 guard be a better shooter (hopefully it's Steward). If Nembhard is willing to come off the bench as the 3rd guard, great. But that's probably not the role he wants. But if Roach kills it next season and goes one and done, I'd love to have Nembhard step in as the starting PG.

This is way down the road, though. Not much sense in fretting over this until we know what the roster situation is like a full year from now.

jimsumner
06-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm not 100% sold on the fit here. I like Nembhard as a point guard, but if Jeremy Roach stays for a 2nd year, I'd rather have our starting 2 guard be a better shooter (hopefully it's Steward). If Nembhard is willing to come off the bench as the 3rd guard, great. But that's probably not the role he wants. But if Roach kills it next season and goes one and done, I'd love to have Nembhard step in as the starting PG.

This is way down the road, though. Not much sense in fretting over this until we know what the roster situation is like a full year from now.

I'm operating under the assumption that Roach is a OAD.

scottdude8
06-12-2020, 03:00 PM
I'm operating under the assumption that Roach is a OAD.

Honestly, I think we all need to operate under the assumption that any Top 25-ish recruit is a OAD and then be pleasantly surprised if they come back. We're going to go insane otherwise.

devilnfla
06-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Unless he gets a waiver and is available for the 2020/21 season.

sagegrouse
06-12-2020, 03:33 PM

Which, of course, is the complexity of college hoops recruiting -- you have to recruit players before you know what your openings will be. True of HSers and, as this example shows, also transfers.

jimsumner
06-12-2020, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I think we all need to operate under the assumption that any Top 25-ish recruit is a OAD and then be pleasantly surprised if they come back. We're going to go insane otherwise.

True. But it's not just that. He's likely to take over at a high-profile position at a high-profile school surrounded by next-level talent. He'll have every opportunity to show his stuff.

cato
06-12-2020, 05:52 PM
"Is nem easy shots he's making?"

"No, nembhard!"

Whatever the bulletin board equivalent is to a double tech/15-yard penalty with automatic ejection, you deserve it for this one.

Or maybe just Corey slapping the backboard and getting benched.

Either way, well done.

DavidBenAkiva
06-16-2020, 06:11 PM
And just like that, Andrew Nembhard says that he has a final list of 6 schools and that he will announce his next destination (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/florida-transfer-andrew-nembhard-finalizes-school-list) on Monday, June 23rd. Among the schools Nembhard is considering is Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Stanford, and USC.

JNort
06-16-2020, 08:13 PM
And just like that, Andrew Nembhard says that he has a final list of 6 schools and that he will announce his next destination (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/florida-transfer-andrew-nembhard-finalizes-school-list) on Monday, June 23rd. Among the schools Nembhard is considering is Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Stanford, and USC.
Well if not us I wouldn't mind seeing him play at Gonzaga.

jaywilliams22
06-17-2020, 07:32 AM
Rothstein seems to think Memphis is the pick.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1272907845709807619?s=20

ChillinDuke
06-17-2020, 08:56 AM

That would be my guess. Pretty strongly.

- Chillin

scottdude8
06-17-2020, 09:17 AM

This will be interesting. Seeing 3 of the 6 schools on the West Coast I thought maybe Nembhard was a West Coast kid, but then I remembered he's actually Canadian. Maybe that means RJ can get in his ear.

DavidBenAkiva
06-17-2020, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure that Rothstein is that tapped into the situation. Memphis would be an interesting pick. There are three guards nominally listed as either PG or combo PG/SG, including rising junior Alex Lomax and rising sophomores Damion Baugh and Boogie Ellis. On the wings, there's rising sophomore Lester Quinones (he of the short-shorts fashion statement). They also landed one of the top transfers this offseason in Landers Nolley. Nolley was at Virginia Tech and left seemingly due to playing out of position as a 4 or 5 at times due to the limited roster in Blacksburg. I suspect that Nolley will get a ton of PT at the 3 in 2021-22. Unless there are moves to the NBA, there are already 5 players competing for 3 spots without Nembhard. Is Penny going to court that kind of logjam?

scottdude8
06-17-2020, 10:13 AM

That's a massive misreading of that tweet, which says "Memphis has emerged as a potential landing spot". Most previous reporting had said his "top 3" were Duke, Gonzaga and USC, so I believe Rothstein is just adding that Memphis is still in serious consideration.

Especially if you aren't going to directly quote things, please make sure you're accurately representing them in your posts. You can see already how that has mislead the resulting discussion a bit.

jaywilliams22
06-17-2020, 10:25 AM
That's a massive misreading of that tweet, which says "Memphis has emerged as a potential landing spot". Most previous reporting had said his "top 3" were Duke, Gonzaga and USC, so I believe Rothstein is just adding that Memphis is still in serious consideration.

Especially if you aren't going to directly quote things, please make sure you're accurately representing them in your posts. You can see already how that has mislead the resulting discussion a bit.

Easy...this is up for interpretation right? If a program has "emerged" as a landing spot, wouldn't you think there is some traction there?

Stray Gator
06-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Easy...this is up for interpretation right? If a program has "emerged" as a landing spot, wouldn't you think there is some traction there?

I, for one, don't find your characterization of the article -- that the author "seems to think Memphis is the pick" (emphasis added) -- to be a reasonable interpretation. The article merely states that "Memphis has emerged as a potential landing spot." (Emphasis added.) Your construction appears to transform the words "a potential" to mean "the likely," which is more than just a substantial stretch. And I don't believe adding Memphis as "a potential landing spot" can fairly be interpreted to signify that the author believes Memphis has any more "traction" than the other listed candidates.

scottdude8
06-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Sorry, but no. Even what you just said is very different from your original post which said "Rothstein seems to think Memphis is the pick". Nothing in the tweet even said that Memphis is the favorite, let alone that Rothstein was asserting that Nembhard will end up picking Memphis. Just that they've emerged as a "potential landing spot". Potential is the key word. You made a major jump from that to saying that "Memphis is the pick", which again is a mischaracterization of the actual reporting.

I don't want to start a row here, but things like that are how rumors get started, and that's the type of thing the DBR community tries to discourage as much as humanly possible (and generally does a great job with).

jaywilliams22
06-17-2020, 11:47 AM
My deepest apologies for misinterpreting. You caught me trying to start a rumor. I'll be sure to present only factual statements from here on out, and won't contribute any thoughts unless backed up with evidence.

BD80
06-17-2020, 12:52 PM
My deepest apologies for misinterpreting. You caught me trying to start a rumor. I'll be sure to present only factual statements from here on out, and won't contribute any thoughts unless backed up with evidence.

The standards for this board are quite a bit higher than for mainstream media.

MartyClark
06-17-2020, 12:56 PM

True, but let's not be too harsh on people who may be new to the board.

DavidBenAkiva
06-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Second this. I speculate all the time. I do try to make it clear when it is my interpretation of things vs. something somebody else says. I appreciate that this board doesn't deal in wild rumors. But we shouldn't shout down anyone that steps on a gray line.

Stray Gator
06-17-2020, 01:24 PM

I don't believe it's too harsh to point out, when a poster insists on defending a message after it has been politely shown to be a misreading and inaccurate representation of the article, that "interpretation" does not encompass twisting the meaning of a report to transform something that could "potentially" happen into something that is "likely" to occur. If the poster had simply acknowledged the error when initially corrected instead of pushing back, friendly advice would probably not have escalated to firm admonition.

jaywilliams22
06-17-2020, 01:37 PM
I don't believe it's too harsh to point out, when a poster insists on defending a message after it has been politely shown to be a misreading and inaccurate representation of the article, that "interpretation" does not encompass twisting the meaning of a report to transform something that could "potentially" happen into something that is "likely" to occur. If the poster had simply acknowledged the error when initially corrected instead of pushing back, friendly advice would probably not have escalated to firm admonition.

This was how I interpreted the tweet Rothstein made. I read it one way, which appears to be the wrong way. I'll clarify in the future with a "this leads me to believe." I enjoy posting & reading here, but being jumped on in the tone that I was.... is rather, um...not fun.

scottdude8
06-17-2020, 01:58 PM
This was how I interpreted the tweet Rothstein made. I read it one way, which appears to be the wrong way. I'll clarify in the future with a "this leads me to believe." I enjoy posting & reading here, but being jumped on in the tone that I was... is rather, um...not fun.

My apologies if my tone wasn't the best... one of the limitations of communicating via text is that tone is lost. That said, I saw something that was demonstrably incorrect being said on the board and wanted to correct it clearly and decisively before it spiraled out of control.

You are 100% entitled to your own interpretation and reading of things like this... I know I personally do that all the time. But there is a clear and important difference between posting the tweet and saying, "Reading the tea leaves, I think Memphis might be a sneaky favorite to land Nembhard" and putting words into a reporter's mouth. As someone who has been in and out of the sports journalism world I know how frustrated I'd personally be to see that happen and have my name attached to something that isn't what I said.

We all live and learn. All opinions are always welcome here at DBR, and I apologize if I was overly firm in my original message. But this was something egregious enough that I felt it merited a clear and concise correction.

MartyClark
06-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Some times a private message works better than a public scolding.

Stray Gator
06-17-2020, 02:18 PM
This was how I interpreted the tweet Rothstein made. I read it one way, which appears to be the wrong way. I'll clarify in the future with a "this leads me to believe." I enjoy posting & reading here, but being jumped on in the tone that I was... is rather, um...not fun.

I think it's safe to say that no one here wants to make you feel unwelcome. To the contrary, we're happy to greet new posters, especially when they come bearing news of interest to other Duke fans. But it's because such news is important to us that we expect posters to proceed cautiously and exercise care to ensure that when they share reports of information regarding recruits, or current or past players, or coaches, we can sort out the substantiated facts from the speculation, and eliminate the baseless rumors altogether.

That's why we were so quick to correct your initial post: Your interpretation of the article effectively changed the author's opinion that Memphis could be one of multiple landing spots to a belief that Memphis seems to be the landing spot -- a modification that, if left alone, could convert a relatively innocuous report into a hot rumor. I hope you understand that no offense was intended, and will not let this exchange deter you from continuing to participate.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-17-2020, 02:19 PM

Just don't EVER mention rumors about outgoing transfers and you should be okay. :)

Stray Gator
06-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Some times a private message works better than a public scolding.

Had there been no public correction, the poster's reply suggesting that the misleading description of a recruiting report was merely an acceptable "interpretation" would have been left standing unanswered, thereby conveying the impression that some inaccurate rumors are allowed on this board while others are not. Just doing our best to keep it between the lines so that everyone understands the rules, and no one has reason to believe that we aren't trying to apply those rules consistently. No offense intended.

BD80
06-17-2020, 02:36 PM

I was hoping to interject some levity. I am amused this was interpreted to be such a scathing rebuke.

SupaDave
06-17-2020, 04:02 PM
I'd never even heard of the kid.

So here's his season highlight reel. (Oh and I definitely see why he's 30 percent from 3 - he shoots a bit like Lonzo Ball, not enough extension, that can be worked on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OU12Zm7cwk

SupaDave
06-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Quick takeaways from his season highlights:

Good
He's fast - can run the court well.
Can penetrate with either hand and is a bit of a slasher, who is great off the curl.
He has a sweet little Euro-step he uses from time to time.
He definitely prefers to take it to the basket.
Has a little floater that could be very useful ala the Jones family.
Great lob passer

Bad:
Shoots from his elbow
No defense shown at all in the highlights (that I saw)
Seemed to be one of FL's de facto long range shooters and they weren't great as a team shooting from long range.
Could be the offense but in the half court he doesn't move much and just stays in his spot.

If I had to compare him to a Duke player - it's Matt Jones.

flyingdutchdevil
06-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Quick takeaways from his season highlights:

Good
He's fast - can run the court well.
Can penetrate with either hand and is a bit of a slasher, who is great off the curl.
He has a sweet little Euro-step he uses from time to time.
He definitely prefers to take it to the basket.
Has a little floater that could be very useful ala the Jones family.
Great lob passer

Bad:
Shoots from his elbow
No defense shown at all in the highlights (that I saw)
Seemed to be one of FL's de facto long range shooters and they weren't great as a team shooting from long range.
Could be the offense but in the half court he doesn't move much and just stays in his spot.

If I had to compare him to a Duke player - it's Matt Jones.

Ummmm...Matt Jones was a really good shooter who played lock down defense. In your "Bad", you basically said he's not a good shooter and the highlights show no defense.

SupaDave
06-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Ummmm...Matt Jones was a really good shooter who played lock down defense. In your "Bad", you basically said he's not a good shooter and the highlights show no defense.

I hate to be the first to tell you this but ummm, Matt Jones was not a really good shooter.

sagegrouse
06-17-2020, 07:28 PM
I hate to be the first to tell you this but ummm, Matt Jones was not a really good shooter.

Actually, his 3-pt. shooting wasn't bad -- 37 percent, but his 2-point shooting was below average at 43 percent, as was his FT shooting of 68 percent. I seem to recall that he had a surprising lack of touch on shots around the basket -- but he has a ring!

MartyClark
06-17-2020, 08:04 PM

Yeah, he came to Duke with the expectation that he would be a good to great shooter. That didn't materialize.

I really liked that kid though, he seemed to make everyone around him better.

I'm all for getting another Matt Jones.

Stray Gator
06-17-2020, 08:34 PM
Yeah, he came to Duke with the expectation that he would be a good to great shooter. That didn't materialize. . . .

But he did have one shining moment, going 4-7 from 3-point range against the Zags in the 2015 Regional Final. That was mighty sweet.

brevity
06-17-2020, 09:12 PM
But he did have one shining moment, going 4-7 from 3-point range against the Zags in the 2015 Regional Final. That was mighty sweet.

To add on, Matt Jones may or may not have been a "pretty good shooter", but this was a pretty good shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCh0D9NmmpY

flyingdutchdevil
06-17-2020, 09:14 PM

Jones shot 42% as a junior. He was good with 37% career shooting (including an abysmal 15% his frosh year).

Andrew isn’t a good outside shooter. A lot of his highlights focus on driving, something Matt was abysmal at.

I don’t have a comp for Andrew. I just know it isn’t Matt.

bbfan
06-17-2020, 10:27 PM
june 23...we/I shall know

wsb3
06-18-2020, 08:29 AM
To add on, Matt Jones may or may not have been a "pretty good shooter", but this was a pretty good shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCh0D9NmmpY

Must spread around..blah blah. I remember that shot so well and my leap into the air when it went in. Leap, being a relative term for an old guy in his 60's.

Matt's only points of the night.

GGLC
06-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Matt was one of the best defenders in recent Duke memory. If defense is not one of Nembhard's strengths, then any comparison to Matt Jones is indeed exceedingly silly.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Must spread around..blah blah. I remember that shot so well and my leap into the air when it went in. Leap, being a relative term for an old guy in his 60's.

Matt's only points of the night.

Remember the ACC tournament? Those were fun.

SupaDave
06-18-2020, 05:46 PM
Jones shot 42% as a junior. He was good with 37% career shooting (including an abysmal 15% his frosh year).

Andrew isn’t a good outside shooter. A lot of his highlights focus on driving, something Matt was abysmal at.

I don’t have a comp for Andrew. I just know it isn’t Matt.

To put what I think a good shooter is into perspective...

Matt Jones ATTEMPTED 459 3-point shots his entire career.

JJ Redick MADE 457 3-points shots in his 4 year career at Duke.

(like I said, don't know anything about his defense but his shot sure looks a lot like Matt Jones)

There have been PLENTY of Duke players I wanted to hoist that shot (Rivers, Quinn, Kyrie, Nolan, Ewing, Luke, J Will, Kyle, Trent Jr, etc) but Matt Jones was never one of them.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2020, 06:01 PM
To put what I think a good shooter is into perspective...

Matt Jones ATTEMPTED 459 3-point shots his entire career.

JJ Redick MADE 457 3-points shots in his 4 year career at Duke.

(like I said, don't know anything about his defense but his shot sure looks a lot like Matt Jones)

There have been PLENTY of Duke players I wanted to hoist that shot (Rivers, Quinn, Kyrie, Nolan, Ewing, Luke, J Will, Kyle, Trent Jr, etc) but Matt Jones was never one of them.

If you consider JJ a ‘good’ shooter, I wanna know what the hell a great shooter looks like.

Jones is a good shooter. The NCAA average is generally between 34-35%. To me, being 2-3% percent above that is good.

And yes. A lot of really good and great 3pt shooters have come through Duke. That doesn’t make Jones a bad shooter.

SupaDave
06-18-2020, 06:18 PM
If you consider JJ a ‘good’ shooter, I wanna know what the hell a great shooter looks like.

Jones is a good shooter. The NCAA average is generally between 34-35%. To me, being 2-3% percent above that is good.

And yes. A lot of really good and great 3pt shooters have come through Duke. That doesn’t make Jones a bad shooter.

That's my point exactly to be honest - JJ was a GREAT shooter and had the SUPER green light. JJ had to FIGHT to get shots.

Jones was an "OK" shooter who waited on open looks.

More perspective - had Jones been a PRETTY GOOD shooter - he would have made the NBA (and there's still time for that).

No one said he was bad - he just wasn't pretty good. Give me open looks and I'm gone bust you up for at least 3 3's a game.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2020, 06:29 PM
That's my point exactly to be honest - JJ was a GREAT shooter and had the SUPER green light. JJ had to FIGHT to get shots.

Jones was an "OK" shooter who waited on open looks.

More perspective - had Jones been a PRETTY GOOD shooter - he would have made the NBA (and there's still time for that).

No one said he was bad - he just wasn't pretty good. Give me open looks and I'm gone bust you up for at least 3 3's a game.

I guess your ‘OK’ is my ‘good’.

Regardless, getting back on topic, Andrew isn’t like Matt.

TKG
06-18-2020, 07:51 PM
I think K said it best when describing Matt Jones: “Matt Jones is a stud!”

GGLC
06-18-2020, 08:27 PM
Matt Jones is an absolute stud.

SupaDave
06-18-2020, 09:12 PM
I guess your ‘OK’ is my ‘good’.

Regardless, getting back on topic, Andrew isn’t like Matt.

So what do you see from Andrew?

budwom
06-19-2020, 07:10 AM
I see Andrew someplace else.

flyingdutchdevil
06-19-2020, 08:19 AM
So what do you see from Andrew?

I think your pros/cons list was pretty good. He has elite size, strong IQ, good distributor, takes care of the ball (+2.0 A/T ratio), incredibly crafty getting to the rim. But his weaknesses are pretty apparent: poor shooter and poor athleticism. He’s a PG and hopefully can play off the ball.

Maybe a poorman’s Shaun Livingston? I’d love to see Andrew post up smaller PGs and then pass out if he’s about to get doubled. He has the size and the IQ to easily pull that off.

ChillinDuke
06-19-2020, 09:38 AM
I think your pros/cons list was pretty good. He has elite size, strong IQ, good distributor, takes care of the ball (+2.0 A/T ratio), incredibly crafty getting to the rim. But his weaknesses are pretty apparent: poor shooter and poor athleticism. He’s a PG and hopefully can play off the ball.

Maybe a poorman’s Shaun Livingston? I’d love to see Andrew post up smaller PGs and then pass out if he’s about to get doubled. He has the size and the IQ to easily pull that off.

In theory, I'd love to see the bolded as well. But do PGs actually do this these days? And no, I'm not talking about some NBA comparison. I'm talking about above average college PGs.

I'm being slightly nitpicky, so I apologize. But I don't often see post-ups out of college PGs - so I sort of suspect that we won't be seeing it out of Nembhard.

Agree with others. Don't think Duke lands Nembhard. Just can't see it, personally.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
06-19-2020, 09:49 AM
In theory, I'd love to see the bolded as well. But do PGs actually do this these days? And no, I'm not talking about some NBA comparison. I'm talking about above average college PGs.

I'm being slightly nitpicky, so I apologize. But I don't often see post-ups out of college PGs - so I sort of suspect that we won't be seeing it out of Nembhard.

Agree with others. Don't think Duke lands Nembhard. Just can't see it, personally.

- Chillin

It's a great point. I don't think so. I mean, how often do you have a PG who is 2-3 inches taller and 15-30 lbs heavier than the opposing PG? Tre Jones had 2 inches on Winston, but they weighed the same amount.

Also, it takes a lot of work to read the right play when you're in the paint. And it also requires big men who aren't going to clog the paint.

In the NBA, players are so much more versatile with better shooting that it makes guard posting up so much easier.

That said, would love to see a big Duke PG do it.

CDu
06-19-2020, 12:45 PM
It's a great point. I don't think so. I mean, how often do you have a PG who is 2-3 inches taller and 15-30 lbs heavier than the opposing PG? Tre Jones had 2 inches on Winston, but they weighed the same amount.

Also, it takes a lot of work to read the right play when you're in the paint. And it also requires big men who aren't going to clog the paint.

In the NBA, players are so much more versatile with better shooting that it makes guard posting up so much easier.

That said, would love to see a big Duke PG do it.

This brings up two key points:
- PGs aren't generally comfortable doing this. Post play is a learned skill, and most PGs have spent their formative years NOT playing with their backs to the basket on offense. Not saying it couldn't happen, but you aren't likely to find many 18 year old PGs who are adept at playing from the post.
- As you mention, it would require bigs who can step outside and command the attention of their man. Otherwise, the opposing big will just hang out down there and double if your PG gets too close. Looking at next year's team (just for reference), playing Baker and Hurt at the 4/5 would absolutely work in this sense. But a team with Mark Williams at center and Johnson/Brakefield/Coleman at the PF spot probably wouldn't allow for such a strategy to work.

But the biggest hurdle in my opinion remains the first: it's just really rare for a young PG to be comfortable posting up.

superdave
06-22-2020, 06:09 PM
What is the timeframe for a decision here?

Native
06-22-2020, 06:42 PM
What is the timeframe for a decision here?

It was supposed to be today, right? shrug

Everything I’m seeing tends to suggest Gonzaga.

dm9e24
06-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Without an offer, doesn't seem like Duke is an option

DavidBenAkiva
06-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Just announced and all over the internet. Gonzaga is going to have a talented team this upcoming season and looks to keep it going.

BD80
06-23-2020, 02:02 PM
Just announced and all over the internet. Gonzaga is going to have a talented team this upcoming season and looks to keep it going.

I guess he wanted some social distance, from everyone.

kAzE
06-23-2020, 02:07 PM
I never got the feeling he was interested in Duke. In fact, it's beginning to seem like every high profile transfer these days throws Duke out as an option just to generate buzz and get attention.

budwom
06-23-2020, 02:50 PM
I never got the feeling he was interested in Duke. In fact, it's beginning to seem like every high profile transfer these days throws Duke out as an option just to generate buzz and get attention.

Moreover Duke was never particularly interested in him.

chrishoke
06-23-2020, 03:06 PM
Time for a thread title change.

BlueDevilStop
06-24-2020, 09:06 AM
Really think his experience would have been very valuable. '21-22 is shaping up to be an alarmingly young team if both Hurt and Moore depart after the season.

English
06-24-2020, 09:11 AM
Really think his experience would have been very valuable. '21-22 is shaping up to be an alarmingly young team if both Hurt and Moore depart after the season.

Alas. Time to move on (and probably retire this thread).

flyingdutchdevil
06-24-2020, 09:38 AM

But will they be alarmingly unathletic? That is the true question.

scottdude8
06-24-2020, 11:50 AM

Pretty sure we've said something along these lines, to some degree or another, every year for the past half-decade ;)

Jaks19
06-24-2020, 12:06 PM
As far as young, this year Duke has SRs, JGold and Tape' and JR, Baker and Sophs, Hurt and Moore....

Next year, Duke could possible have SR Baker, Sophs, Brakefield, Coleman, and possibly Williams, Roach & Steward.

In this day and age of college basketball, one year of playing experience (where the player averages approximately 25-33% game time per game) is just as impactful to a team.