PDA

View Full Version : Duke FB v. Georgia Tech

Bob Green
11-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Duke hosts Georgia Tech in the last home game on Saturday. Georgia Tech has had a disappointing season. After playing in the conference championship last year, they have fallen to 5-4 & 2-4 so far this year. Their season opening dismantling of Notre Dame was impressive in September, but it is November.

Here's to Duke putting an exclamation point onto GT's disappointment.

whereinthehellami
11-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Duke is getting GT at a good time. Their guys have to be dissapointed. They really fell apart against VT on national TV and a fair amount of their fanbase wants Gailey gone (be careful what you wish for?). Is this team ready to throw in the towel?

Is Chioce back for this game? He is the heart and soul of that team.

OrangeDevil
11-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks to Bob Green, as always, for the words of hope and encouragement. With all of the giddy excitement on this board over a possible surprise at Notre Dame, the Tech game would seem to offer a better chance. Tech is a bit banged up, psychologically as well as physically. There may also be the residual effect of the obvious frustration and despair that set in last week against VT that might turn to Duke's advantage.

There's the possibility that Duke's visit to South Bend next weekend may represent a reasonable chance at two in a row. If that happens, bring on the Heels!

ugadevil
11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
i'm hoping duke takes care of business tomorrow and extends the ga. tech losing streak to 2 games in route to their 4 game losing streak to end the season. a true rambling wreck.

devildeac
11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Perhaps TR and our guys have the plan of 3 in a row for closing out the year and reaching that 3-4 win plateau as we hoped.....

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Relatively quiet on the football front...at least with regards to expectations

Indoor66
11-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Relatively quiet on the football front...at least with regards to expectations

Heck, the game in which the ball bounces properly has started. What do you expect on DBR?

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, but they played last night. You can only talk about a game against NCCU(or anyone else)for so long. Which means you need new material...

BTW, game appears to be available this week on Yahoo!

hondoheel
11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I think Duke has a reasonable shot at winning this game. When was Duke's last ACC win?

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 12:03 PM
2004 versus Clemson

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Any one able to get the Yahoo! clip working, it is just coming across as unavailable for me.

BTW, down 7-0 as I type.

Troublemaker
11-10-2007, 01:23 PM
7-7 now. But if we're going to let Taylor freaking Bennett pass all over us, it's going to be a long day.

Bob Green
11-10-2007, 03:59 PM
34-24 with the 4th Quarter just underway. We are within 10 points and need to put together a strong ending. This game is still up for grabs.

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Yep, we are in their territory and driving with around 11 minutes to go

JasonEvans
11-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Yep, we are in their territory and driving with around 11 minutes to go

Moments later -- after an offensive line mess-up resulted in a sack and then a mixup of the QBs feet left us with 3rd and 20-something-- we were punting. Tech took the ball inside their own 20 and promptly drove the length of the field to put the game out of reach at 41-24.

While I want these guys to succeed and really want Roof to show he can be the coach of a successful team at Duke for the long haul, this game wasn't really as close as the 34-24 4th quarter score indicated. We generated almost no offense the entire game.

Our 10 points in the first half came on a defensive TD when we returned a fumle for a TD and when we got an interception inside the Tech 20 and did actually lost 4 yards before kicking a 40-yard FG. We scored in the 3rd quarter after a blocked punt when we got the ball at the Tech 11. The only real offensive TD we got was when we sprung Riley for a 60+ yard TD pass. You cannot imagine how many 3-and-out offensive series we had. We had the ball for more than 5 plays exactly once the entire game. That is a stunning statistic. Consider that for a minute... only one time did we get more than 1 first down. And that drive was saved by a conversion on 3rd and 17 or we would not have strung together consecutive 1st downs the entire game (I think).

We are truly lucky the score was not more like 41-10.

Sigh... 149 yards of total offense... almost half of them on one play. I just don't know anymore. I just don't know.

--Jason "sorry, this was just really frustrating" Evans

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 04:30 PM
It's over, 41-24 with GA Tech scoring another TD in the 4th quarter to finalize the scoring.

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I just don't know anymore. I just don't know.

--Jason "sorry, this was just really frustrating" Evans

I think I know how you feel. At this point, not much to say good or bad...

Bob Green
11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Duke punted 12 times for 452 yards. That is 37.6 yards per punt. We have lost the field position game all year.

JasonEvans
11-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Duke punted 12 times for 452 yards. That is 37.6 yards per punt. We have lost the field position game all year.

12 punts?!?!?! That has to be close to some record. That is an insane numbers of times to punt the ball. That's like 2 or 3 games worth of punts for many teams. We were 2-16 on 3rd down.

--Jason "I bet we lead the ACC in total punting yardage ;) " Evans

CameronBlue
11-10-2007, 04:52 PM
What's even more disappointing is to have a pass oriented offense, with talents like Thad and Eron and not being able to amass more than 200 yards of offense.

devildeac
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
There were 3 highlights:

1. Riley's 1 long TD catch. And that was marred by a BS unsportsmanlike conduct penalty as he raised his arms in celebration as he 'waltzed' into the end zone. That 15 yarder assessed on the following kick-off helped ruin our field position for the rest of the half. The rest of the above posters are correct however, we were basically inept with the ball for the remainder of the game.

2. NCSU over unc.

3. What the senior band members had on the top of their hats they displayed to the crowd as the alma mater was played. I told OZZIE I would not post this so he can tell you when he arrives home in about 30 minutes. There's your intro OZ!

Duke84Blue
11-10-2007, 05:49 PM
To say we struggle offensively is an understatement. Going into today's game, we were ranked 116th in total offense and today's 150 yards means we're not moving up. We were dead last in rushing and that will certainly not improve on our 28 yards of rushing against Tech. In our last 3 hours of football (3 games worth) we have rushed 78 times for 65 yards, obviously not even a single yard a carry. There are 11 players in the ACC with rushing yardage more than the entire Duke team.

Even more troubling is this is not something new. Our offensive output per game over the last several years (including 11 games this season) is 279 yards, 283 yards, 248 yards and 265. In a relative sense, we were an offensive juggernaut in 2001-2003 when we averaged 350 yards a game over that three year span. Prior to 2004, Duke had not had a season where we averaged less than 280 yards a game since 1979.

chrishoke
11-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Offense GT 476 DU 150

jimsumner
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
The penalty on Riley was not BS. Given the way officials have called taunting on scoring plays over the last few years, there was absolutely no excuse for ER doing anything that would draw a flag. None.

Duke did a great job of getting some Beamer-ball points. A blocked punt that set up a TD, a fumble recovery for a score, an INT that set up a field goal. Leon Wright's inexplicable decision to try to field a wobbly punt heading out of bounds deep in Duke territory gave one back.

Maggio is perfect this season on place-kicks.

Duke was incapable of handling Tech's blitz. Roof was asked about this after the game but either could not shed any light or (more likely) would not criticize anyone by name. Whether it's an inabilty to change plays, an inability to block, an inability of the receivers to get off the LOS, Tech just toyed with Duke in blitzing situations.

Duke doesn't block especially well.

Way, way too many dropped passes. Riley dropped three, including a probable TD, and Kelly dropped three.

Tech was very effective on direct snaps to Choice. Roof and Chris Davis both acknowledged after the game that Duke had practiced against this formation but missed some big tackles.

The ability of Tech's punting team to pin Duke back deep was huge. The wind was a real factor but that works both ways. Tech consistenly kicked off out of the end zone, while Duke was pooch-kicking or kicking out of bounds. Tech had a clear edge in punting and kicking off and consequently a clear edge in field position.

Roof thanked the loyal fans after the game and promised better days ahead.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-10-2007, 07:03 PM
What DevilDeac and JimSumner said. Our offense was pitiful. One long TD pass was our entire offense - the rest of the points were set up, or scored by, the defense getting turnovers. Neither Riley nor Kelly could catch the ball for most of the afternoon. Butter-fingers? Hearing footsteps? Just plain lack of concentration? I have no idea but it needs to stop now.

The offensive line is just that. They must learn how to block. Can somebody please teach them? PLEASE!

As for the senior DUMB members! My biggest kudos to you guys! Putting the letters that follow, one on each band hat, and holding them up as you were introduced was genius! "G T H u n c G T H !" We all loved it! If you had had 2 more seniors, you could have put 9 F on the other two hats :D

mapei
11-10-2007, 11:08 PM
I get the criticisms of the offense. But a defense that gives up almost 500 yards and 41 points isn't too great, either.

We just need to give this program time to mature.

Olympic Fan
11-11-2007, 12:34 AM
I've got to speak up for the defense ... I know the raw numbers don't look good, but I thought it was actually a pretty good performance.

You had to be there to see how the combination of inept offense and lousy kicking game kept giving GT the ball near midfield or deeper in Duke territory. The defense was on the field all the time and usually with their backs to the wall. There were a couple of breakdowns, but on the whole the defense did a good job.

I think the game was symbolized by two pass plays at the beginning of the game. On GT's second play, Bennett completed a pass inside the Duke 5, but Chris Davis hit the receiver and knocked the ball loose for a fumble. The ball rolled in the end zone and Leon Wright was right there to fall on it for a touchdown. Somehow, he strumbled off-balance as he tried to get it and the only Tech player within 20 yards beat three Duke players to the ball for a touchdown.

On Duke's first play from scrimmage, Lewis tried to go deep to Riley, who broke free behind the corner. He was wide open for a 67-yard touchdown. The ball was right on his fingertips, but he dropped it -- the first of his three drops.

I agree with Jim -- the dropped passes were devastating. Kelly's three drops came in a very short period and just stymied the offense.

DUAA_shirt
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I've been attending Duke Football games off and on at Wallace Wade Stadium going back to the Mike McGee years in the 1970s. For the past 17-18 years it has been bad I know, but is this as low as it can go? The fan support has eroded to the point where the attendance today was only listed at 18,788. Come on, there were hardly 10,000 butts sitting on the bleachers if that. This had to be the smallest Duke crowd I've ever seen at Wallace Wade.

Are the students boycotting games? I never been to a game (or any college game for that matter) where there wasn't a section of students (except the band) supporting their team. Most of the sparse fans sitting around in my area today were the middle-aged die hard fans and young children. At one point, the cheerleaders were cheering to empty sections of seats.

Finally, the concessions are just plain awful. With hardly any lines at the concession stand, I had to get the attention of a huddle of teenagers working the counter just to get any service. Why are these people working concessions when obviously they don't want to be there in the first place?

As a fan, I am proud to support Duke Football and our guys today on the field. Certainly, no Division I-A team can win under these conditions. This cannot be all of Ted Roof's fault directly. If we cannot attract any fan support or continue to have lackluster facilities (ie: bathrooms). The status quo will continue to go on indefinitely. Brodhead and Alleva, why aren't you listening?

Lavabe
11-11-2007, 05:36 AM
The fan support has eroded to the point where the attendance today was only listed at 18,788. Come on, there were hardly 10,000 butts sitting on the bleachers if that. This had to be the smallest Duke crowd I've ever seen at Wallace Wade.

Are the students boycotting games?

As a fan, I am proud to support Duke Football and our guys today on the field.

Point 1: Smaller than attendance at Fulton County Stadium the season before Sid slid? Smaller than attendance at Shea Stadium in the seasons prior to 1969?

Oh right ... that's baseball. NOTE: Insert obligate George Carlin comparison between baseball and football.

Point 2: I expect that students are balancing their limited nonacademic time. At this point in the season, BBall (Men & Women) wins... and there's a lot of hope at the beginning of those seasons. The effects are probably brought out further in a small school. Add in the fact that FB is at its season's end (as opposed to the beginning, when there's always hope), and you got the makings of poor attendance.

Point 3: I am glad you support the guys on the field. I imagine the guys on the football team are incredibly thankful for the consistent support from folks like you, Ozzie, Devildeac, and others. That gets more to the point of college athletics. That and the senior DUMBers spelling out GTHuncGTH!:D

But a win at home would be REALLY nice. Better luck next year.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
11-11-2007, 07:57 AM
I've got to speak up for the defense ... I know the raw numbers don't look good, but I thought it was actually a pretty good performance.

You had to be there to see how the combination of inept offense and lousy kicking game kept giving GT the ball near midfield or deeper in Duke territory. The defense was on the field all the time and usually with their backs to the wall. There were a couple of breakdowns, but on the whole the defense did a good job.

I think the game was symbolized by two pass plays at the beginning of the game. On GT's second play, Bennett completed a pass inside the Duke 5, but Chris Davis hit the receiver and knocked the ball loose for a fumble. The ball rolled in the end zone and Leon Wright was right there to fall on it for a touchdown. Somehow, he strumbled off-balance as he tried to get it and the only Tech player within 20 yards beat three Duke players to the ball for a touchdown.

On Duke's first play from scrimmage, Lewis tried to go deep to Riley, who broke free behind the corner. He was wide open for a 67-yard touchdown. The ball was right on his fingertips, but he dropped it -- the first of his three drops.

I agree with Jim -- the dropped passes were devastating. Kelly's three drops came in a very short period and just stymied the offense.

I will reinforce what OF said AND add the facts that the D had a pick deep in GT territory that lead to a FG(no typo here, we made a 40 yarder with distance and height to spare). The D also returned a fumble about 20-30 yards for a TD. Yea, they gave up a LOT of yards and quite a few big plays via the run and the pass but did 'keep' GT to 'only' 7/17 in 3rd down conversions. Without a fair defensive effort, the score is probably more on the order of 48-17 or 55-14.

6th Man
11-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I fail to see how Alleva keeps his job. Duke is the laughing stock of college football. The basketball team runs itself with Coach K at the helm. I think the measure of an AD at Duke would be to improve the football. As long as Coach K is in place a 2 year old could maintain basketball success as an AD. It can't be any worse than it is right now for football. Where is any creativity to get attendance up? To improve facilities? To open up the deep pockets and offer some real money to draw a talented coach? Look at what Coach Grobe has done with Wake Forest. I guarantee you if he had come to Duke, we would be as successful as Wake. In fact, Duke has more of a national name than Wake and I would not be surprised if he could have landed even better recruits than he has gotten at Wake.

To me it is unacceptable that football continues to go at it's current state. I see no effort by the University and that is so incredibly disappointing. If I had the same performance at my job that Alleva has done with football, I would have been sent packing a long time ago.

mapei
11-11-2007, 10:33 AM
a pick deep in GT territory that lead to a FG(no typo here, we made a 40 yarder with distance and height to spare).

Are you sure about that? ;)

devildeac
11-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Are you sure about that? ;)

Abso(field goal)lutely. In fact, the 2nd in 2 weeks. I forgot about the 'meaningless' one vs klempsun last week but then OZZIE reminded me it was not meaningless-it allowed us to practice for the one we made yesterday:D

mapei
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Abso(field goal)lutely. In fact, the 2nd in 2 weeks. I forgot about the 'meaningless' one vs klempsun last week but then OZZIE reminded me it was not meaningless-it allowed us to practice for the one we made yesterday:D

But my point was that you misspelled "led" in a sentence that claimed to have no typo. ;)

devildeac
11-12-2007, 06:09 AM
But my point was that you misspelled "led" in a sentence that claimed to have no typo. ;)

TWEEET! devildeac whistled for his second infraction in a week. Darn, and I try to proof my posts a couple times before submitting. :o