PDA

View Full Version : Predict Duke's ACC Record (November)

houstondukie
11-09-2007, 01:20 AM
12-4; NCAA sweet 16

Jumbo
11-09-2007, 01:36 AM
12-4; NCAA sweet 16

I'm going to set up polls for both.

Jumbo
11-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Predict Duke's ACC Record

Bob Green
11-09-2007, 03:28 AM
It is 0328 EST right now and as soon as the first 16-0 vote is cast, I'll know that Ozzie is awake.

As for me, I voted 13-3. We split with Carolina and lose a couple of road games we should've won. But undefeated at home is a real possibility this season.

gw67
11-09-2007, 08:03 AM
I see the Devils tied for second with N.C. State at 11-5. This should be a fun season for Duke fans with three new faces, the continued development of the four sophs, comebacks by Paulus and McClure, and a strong senior year by Nelson. We may even have a few Pocius sightings. I expect this team to be able to put the ball in the basket and to be capable of finishing off weaker opponents early in the game.

gw67

whereinthehellami
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Duke is going to need the freshman to be big contributors and they will be. But they hit the wall later in the year as all freshman do and Duke loses some games they shouldn't. Throw in some minor injuries and Duke finishes 3rd in the league at 10-6.

Its going to be a fun ride this year.

devildeac
11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
It is 0328 EST right now and as soon as the first 16-0 vote is cast, I'll know that Ozzie is awake.

As for me, I voted 13-3. We split with Carolina and lose a couple of road games we should've won. But undefeated at home is a real possibility this season.

I think the 16-0 vote was cast before I awoke at 6 AM and I KNOW Ozzie is NOT awake at that time. It must be an OZZZIE wannabe as he should be sleeping late resting up for the sports luncheon today, hoops tonite and a FB victory tomorrow. I'll go for 10-6(just not confident enough to go 12-4 which I think would be a reasonable prediction).

Hector Vector
11-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I picked 9-7, although I could see 10-6. I think this is going to be a good and fun team, but it will not be consistent. Outstanding perimeter play, versatility, depth will allow it to run away in many games, but I also think that it will experience games where it gets the crap beat out of it inside. UNC's Hansborough, Thompson, Stephenson, State's Costner, Hickson, and McCauley, Tech's Dickey and Lawal and probably some others are going to overwhelm and get in foul trouble our 4/5 combo of Singler, Thomas, and I don't see good defensive options behind them unless Zoubek really shocks me. Even if Zoubek is healthy, I expect minimal PT because he won't fit well with what the team is doing offensively, which is run and spread.

Singler will give some tough matchups the other way, but while Thompson will be more athletic than many of his matchups, he simply isn't a good enough offensive player (nor is McClure) for that to make a huge difference.

shadowfax336
11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
ok so we have 2 games against Miami, 1 game against Wake, 1 game against VTand 1 game against BC (in Cameron) that we should win pretty easily
thats 5-0
We have home and homes against Maryland, State, and UVA, a road game against FSU, and home games against GT and Clemson
I think its very reasonable to expect 6-3 or 7-2 against that slate, especially if we can regain the home court advantage that was lacking a bit last year
Specifically I'd expect a sweep of UVA and Maryland, split with State, and probably one loss out of FSU, GT, and Clemson. (and yeah I know we had problems with UVA and Maryland last year, but we've gotten better and they've digressed, although its always possible that Singletary or Vasquez could go off)

finally there's that other team that we p,lay twice every year...
And I think a split is a reasonable prediction there
So add it all up and you get 13-3, my optimistic, but not unreasonable (I think), prediction

(Oh and since UNC seems to drop one stupid one every year with Williams coaching, and I have us beating them once, if State or somebody else drops another loss on them, that means we're right back where we want to be)

hurleyfor3
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
We're splitting at best with chapel hill, probably losing at State, probably losing at Maryland and not good enough to win all the games against the football schools.

Wait, are we even playing at State this year? Or did they decide it was more important for us to go to VPI and UMiami instead? Remember when we were in the same conference as State? That was fun. Anyway, 12-4 assumes too few non-UNC losses, so I'll peg my expectations at 10-6, with 9-7 more likely than 11-5.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Actually, I was the third 16-0 vote (at 10:35 am est, and, fyi, I've been up since about 6:50 am)!

Jumbo
11-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I think the 16-0 vote was cast before I awoke at 6 AM and I KNOW Ozzie is NOT awake at that time.

Hmmm... how do you know that? ;)

gw67
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I can't change my vote but I looked at league schedules over lunch and I think a sole second place with a 12-4 record is doable.

gw67

cajundevil74
11-09-2007, 01:47 PM
12-4

Zoubek turns into Ralph Sampson (UVA days) and we win the NC. :D

I'm hoping for Elite 8, but most likely Sweet 16

throatybeard
11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought about 9-7, but then tried to be optimistic and went with 10-6. But I think expectations are getting out of whack early with this squad.

ugadevil
11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I went with 11-5. I think we can split with Carolina, and lose a few others along the way. I hope we sweep UVA but wouldn't be surprised if Singletary carried them to a victory. GA. Tech seems to have become somewhat of a street game where the team with the fewest amount of technicals/punches thrown wins. I just think that we're still a team with some youth, which always has some effect on the road games.

devildeac
11-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Hmmm... how do you know that? ;)

I should have said OZZIE is PROBABLY not awake at that that time. I tried to clarify it in the rest of my post by saying he was probably resting for the FB luncheon, the men's BB game and then the FB game on Saturday.:o

Jumbo
11-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Closing the thread now that we've got a game under our belts. We should revisit this again throughout the year.

Jumbo
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Thought it was time to take another look at this, now that we've reached the midpoint of ACC play...

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 01:49 AM
15-1 Or 14-2 Is A Real Possibility Have Faith In These Guys And Ye Shall Not Be Disapointed:)

pamtar
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Good job Bob! Almost perfect!

Clipsfan
03-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Almost prescient...just wrong victory over Carolina.

wisteria
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Now Bob, what's your prediction for the NCAA tournament?
Your track record seems to be really really good!!:D