PDA

View Full Version : Beating us is the ultimate goal in the ACC

Daddylawman
04-27-2020, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure how manu of you have been watching the ACC Network, or possibly following them on social media. For the past couple of weeks they have had a "takeover" day for each school. For the whole day they broadcast games featuring that schol in various sports. Of course they are all games where the featured team wins. As you may suspect every school shows at least one men's basketball game on their day.

Well, every single school used their day to feature a victory over Duke. There is no question that the ACC schools all consider beating us the measure of success. We are the flagship program for the conference.

AustinDevil
04-27-2020, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure how manu of you have been watching the ACC Network, or possibly following them on social media. For the past couple of weeks they have had a "takeover" day for each school. For the whole day they broadcast games featuring that schol in various sports. Of course they are all games where the featured team wins. As you may suspect every school shows at least one men's basketball game on their day.

Well, every single school used their day to feature a victory over Duke. There is no question that the ACC schools all consider beating us the measure of success. We are the flagship program for the conference.

Did the schools pick, or did ACCN execs? Just curious. I think your point holds regardless.

flyingdutchdevil
04-27-2020, 09:54 AM

Can you really be the flagship program for the conference if you haven't won the regular season in a decade (and won outright in 14 years)?

I don't disagree Duke is highly relevant. I don't disagree beating Duke may be the highlight of a team's season (see WFU. That loss still kills me). I don't disagree Duke is a perennial top team in not only the conference, but also the country. That said, I do not think Duke is the same Duke that puts everything in the regular season and instead we're content to take a few loses here and there, as long as we put all our eggs in the tournament baskets.

Jedweb
04-27-2020, 11:13 AM
This is from the current Wikipedia article on the ACC:

The ACC is unique in that it is the only Division I college basketball conference that does not officially recognize a regular season champion.

As most of us know, Deano used to whine that whoever had the best in conference record before the ACC Tournament is/ought to be the real ACC champion. When the schedule permitted each team to play every other team, home and home, during the regular season, the argument was at least rational, if contrary to the way the ACC was set up from the git go. With unbalanced schedules, it loses the virtue of rationality.

Fans and media "recognize" a "regular season champion." However, Swofford's bloviating about Florida State this spring notwithstanding, does anyone know whether the statement from Wikipedia about the ACC basketball champion
is no longer accurate?

Pghdukie
04-27-2020, 05:41 PM
As the ex coach at UConn, Jim Calhoun said in a documentary "whether you like Duke or hate Duke, you watch". And in the TV business - Its all in the Numbers. Be it ESPN or ACCN, Duke (win or lose) draws an audience. Even reruns !

OldPhiKap
04-28-2020, 07:36 AM
ACC Championships, 1999-present:

Duke: 12
UNC: 3
UVA: 2
FSU: 1
Miami: 1
Notre Dame: 1
Coronavirus: 1
Maryland:1

ACC Championships, all-time:
Duke: 24
UNC: 21
State: 10 (last one in 1987)
Wake: 4
Everyone else: 3 or less

EKU1969
04-28-2020, 02:27 PM
I would think that Clemson would choose beating the Holes at the Dump on the Hump for the first time EVER as their #1 game🤭😂👍

rsvman
04-28-2020, 05:05 PM
ACC Championships, 1999-present:

Duke: 12
UNC: 3
UVA: 2
FSU: 1
Miami: 1
Notre Dame: 1
Coronavirus: 1
Maryland:1

ACC Championships, all-time:
Duke: 24
UNC: 21
State: 10 (last one in 1987)
Wake: 4
Everyone else: 3 or less

I see that only coronavirus is undefeated. A newcomer to the ACC, winning its first conference tournament. Only time will tell whether it can repeat. I certainly hope it doesn't.

OldPhiKap
04-28-2020, 05:09 PM
I see that only coronavirus is undefeated. A newcomer to the ACC, winning its first conference tournament. Only time will tell whether it can repeat. I certainly hope it doesn't.

"you can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it"